Reviews of Townsville Central Hotel 4 stars

12-14 Palmer Street, 4810 Townsville, Australia

#63 of 75 hotels in Townsville

• Standard Queen Room

The breakfast was beautifully cooked and fresh, the staff were very good with their customer service, very welcoming and caring. More information in the room folder would be beneficial. Very central. The price for everything was very fair.

• Superior King Room

Everything was great at Townsville Central Hotel. Bed comfy, staff very helpful, breakfast great. cannot fault anything and will recommend to others. very handy to restaurants and Cowboys Club.

• Standard Queen Room

Breakfast was mediocre, bit there is plenty of choice just outside the door. Free Wifi is very limited 1 gig used to be a lot, nowadays is poor.

Smallish rooms but comfortable and a bonus of free movies on the TV. Parking is good and its handy to be able to have breakfast and an evening meal on site. There are plenty of good places to eat. I would suggest breakfast at any of the establishments just across the road, the same with evening meals.

• Superior King Room

Commission if paying by credit or UK debit card. Having to check in by 5pm could be restrictive.

Included continental breakfast was good, lots of choice but no ham or cheese, etc. Good automatic pancake machine, plenty of fresh fruit. A good choice of restaurants nearby catering for all budgets. Extra coffee, milk etc. provided as there was no housekeeping on Sunday (due to low season). Reception staff helpful with suggestions for day trip to Magnetic Island, museum etc.

• Standard Queen Room

Check in process took a long time considering we had booked online. Front counter open but unmanned,for some reason, at 9am when checking out

Location was great, restaurant downstairs but didn’t eat there. Price was good would definitely stay here again

• Superior King Room

Room was tiny and uninviting. Our "included" breakfast was continental only and we had to pay if we wanted full breakfast. Have stayed in better equipped hotels with more inclusions for less $$

Nothing. We were happy.

The continental breakfast exceeded our expectations. It was much more than we expected and beautifully set up. We were pleasantly surprised and happy, especially as we had been warned, after we had booked, about disruptions at this hotel. We loved it!

• Standard Queen Room

Confusion over whether breakfast advertised online for was full buffet or continental. At check out was told the bill was all settled. On request of a receipt I found an overcharge of $15 for the 2 nights. My travelling companions who stayed 1 night had the same experience - an overcharge of $7.50. It would appear that the processing of online bookings needs to be addressed. Receipts should be mandatory, not just on request.

Convenient Location

• Standard Queen Room

No one at reception for check in after 7pm, was use to normal type hotel after staying here when it was Ibis...so feels cold and then realised there must be more info , checked to find we had another email with code number for outside safe which had our card for the room door, which worked fine

good location close to restaurants bars and cbd, feels like it had some work done on it with rooms quite spruced up with paint and wifi very good (1000MB free)

• Standard Queen Room

Connection to the WiFi was pretty much non-existent; couldn't regulate the air conditioner...it was either freezing or it got hot in the early hours of the morning.

Continental breakfast was worth every bit of $10; Plenty of parking; best location to all the eateries on Palmer Street. Coffee facilities with complimentary biscuits.

• Superior King Room

Didnt realise the window blind was fixed and required sliding to open. I admit I did pull it down !! I did put it back up though.

Very clean and comfortable, good breakfast perfectly adequate for our needs.

• Superior King Room

TV didn't work but was advised that hotel is going through an upgrade of all TV's in rooms. Housekeeping came in and made up the beds but that was pretty much it. Coffee cups not cleaned or replaced. Free Wifi is a 1GB access pass which is only for 24 hrs and one device. I had two because I stayed two nights but blew them on the first night because I had two devices. (my fault, not the hotels, as I didn't pick up on time limit until after I activated them)

Good location, plenty of good pubs and restaurants within walking distance. About 15-20 min walk to ferry terminal if you want to visit magnetic or palm island. Also close to the Flinders St entertainment area, however, as it was mid week the area was very quiet with a lot of place closed. Apparently a lot of them only open on weekends.

• Superior King Room

I would expect the reception to be open longer. We only saw one staff member in the whole hotel, that person was the receptionist, but he also served breakfast.

The room, the pool, breakfast included in the price

• Standard Queen Room

Everything was fine - nothing to complain about.

The room was good, the bed was very comfortable, airconditioned room; friendly and helpful staff; breakfast was excellent; swimming pool; 10 min taxi ride from the train station.

• Superior King Room

The car-park was absolutely full...I do not understand the point of having a parking restriction sign displayed as they do not take a record of your car registration upon checking in...

Convenience of location and the price...

• Superior King Room

I upgraded brekky to Full Buffet. It was 9am and there were 4 other customers. The buffet was totally empty and it took 25mins for them to top up. My husband was so pissed he walked out. The brekky set up is very basic. Also where is the allocated smoking area? There were groups of people hanging around the carpark, and the spa pool was cloudy with foam on top. Gross!!!! Ive stayed at this paticular property a numba of times, not happy and will most likely NOT go back. As a whole the hotel needs team effort in all areas, obviously somewhere along the line there is a weak link.

• Superior King Room

No window in room, air con was loud, and the room was very dark (second floor) Laundry in general good, tumbler takes hours though.

Staff is very friendly, lady at front desk with tattoos keep her, she was very friendly and cool!

• Superior King Room

I left property there that was misplaced or stolen. when I Rang the next morning they claim my hard drive was not there. The pool decking was scarey as he'll to walk on, and the lighting and electrity was badly wired.

the location was good

• Standard Queen Room

I would have liked a softer pillow and have been informed by management that they are working on a 'pillow menu'.

The friendliness and the care they put in to make you feel at home. I can only eat very small meals and they made sure I had exactly what I wanted. I usually feel my requests are a burden, but I was never made to feel that way at this hotel.

• Standard Queen Room

The wifi kept dropping out and I had to come to the reception area or go to the hallway out of the room.

The breakfast was very good and staff very helpful.

• Superior King Room

Window cant open...stale air in the room. Especially during night. No room service on the weekend...so must use same towels for 2 or 3 days.

Location and friendly staff

• Superior King Room

Breakfast was included in the price of booking but you had to pay extra for the hot breakfast. Small window in our room.

Comfortable king-size bed. Breakfast included (although only continental) Efficient free Wi-Fi. Lovely white fluffy towels.

• Standard Queen Room

Continental breakfast was a joke, should have gone to food van parked in the street. Room had outdated tv and hard to operate Vent in bathroom not working no fresh air coming into room

Room was clean and tidy.

• Standard Queen Room

Breakfast was too basic, not continental standard Location not close to the Strand, but close enough to the CBD

Clean, comfortable, friendly helpful staff

• Standard Queen Room

The staff aren't overly friendly, they should try and be more welcoming when you walk through the door. Also the restaurant downstairs should do room service.

It's very comfortable for an overnighter. Rooms are basic but clean and you can't beat the location.

• Superior King Room

I had to move rooms because the TV wasn't working and it took too long to make the call to ove me and was disruptive. WiFi was way too slow.

Upgraded to a full breakfast, but only because I had to move rooms

• Standard Queen Room

Open area of pool, no privacy

Clean, comfortable, good location, great value for money, fabulous included continental breakfast and only $10 to upgrade to hot buffet, late check out

• Standard Queen Room

The beds were like concrete!! Wouldn't hurt to invest a little in new mattresses to entice repeat custom! We wouldn't return purely based on this!

• Standard Queen Room

THe wifi was a bit challenging as you were only allowed to use 1gig at a time however the front office staff gave me lots of access codes to make up for it.

THe staff were wonderful right down to the restaurant staff too. I will return again and again.

• Standard Queen Room

The room was a little small but all facilities in the room were of a high standard and easy to use. We were recovering from an injury so it all worked well.

The rooms were very clean and all staff super friendly.We enjoyed the complimentry breakfast and how close it was to walk to all local amenties. Would work well for business travellers.The dinner at night was good.The walk along the strand during the day was the best.

• Superior King Room

Had issues with extremely loud group of guests (sports team) who also decided to use hallways as a dining and meeting area. Literally had to step over them to get to a lift. When I addressed it the next morning I got a "oh sorry about that" but didnt help the fact that I alao couldn't sleep due to their noise (they were a group of 15-20 young men) The breakfast is also really poor.

Room was clean & tidy

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Standard Queen Room

The lady on check said she would organise a bed for our 4 year old on check in - she didn't. When I called a week earlier to organise and change this got told no problem have put a note on your booking... What annoys me is that if I was told a week prior to us arriving that it was a problem then I would have organised other accommodation.

Great location. Parking was ok although at night had to find one off location. Noticed staff from other complexes parking there. We had to add our 4 year old to our booking, I had rung a week before to organise. This hadn't been organised, not going to lie I was a bit annoyed. But the young lady Ashley on the front reception sorted it out for us asap. Given it was a masstress on the floor. I found her very professional and a great help. Maybe the hotel should invest in a few more folding trundle beds.

• Standard Queen Room

No luggage trolley Breakfast included in room rate - had to leave early and asked for a very basic breakfast to be available and was left nothing .......... The staff had charged room to our bank card before we arrived despite saying on booking.com this would not occur ---- we were planning to pay cash and staff indicated that is just what happens ----

• Standard Queen Room

NO REAL COFFEE FOR BREAKFAST EVEN THOUGH IT IS INCLUDED WOULD BE A GREAT TOUCH. ALSO NO MILK IN THE ROOMS FOR COFFEE TEA ECT

IT WAS EXCELLENT VALUE FOR MONEY, CLOSE TO THE CITY LOVELY STAFF.

• Superior King Room

we where situated right in front of the lifts...very noisy. Breakfast was average and finding a clean table was a bit of a challenge.

The bed was actually comfortable...

It was all good.

I left before 5.30am both mornings so was not able to access the breakfast. No problem. The parking was difficult due to it being a very busy weekend (Cowboys game).

• Standard Queen Room

Rooms seem a little small in comparison to other hotel rooms but also quite inexpensive so it evens out. not 24/7 reception but as per previous, rooms are cheap.

On site parking with complimentary buffet breakfast. Clean rooms. Great price

• Standard Queen Room

There was a bloke cleaning up outside at 7am using a blower. Bit noisy!

Great location. Easy to get in and out of. Very good shower. Small, basic rooms but very comfortable for an overnighter. Would definitely stay again.

• Superior King Room

Rooms weren't serviced. When I ask (late at night when we got back to the room) why not, we were told the rooms don't get serviced on weekends, which I thought was ridiculous. And I also think they could have told us that upon check-in.

• Standard Queen Room

The room could have used a couch rather then having to sit on the bed. Would have been good to have wifi, to use my laptop.

Loved the bathroom, and how big and spacious it was. The seat was good after doing the spartan course, sitting in the shower was good. The bed was good, and enough room for all my bags.

• Standard Queen Room

Room wasnt serviced thursday or friday. Pretty poor. Wed to monday with not even a top of shower gel or tea n coffee let alone sheets.

Location, staff were good.

• Standard Queen Room

Some of the room lights did not work. We could not work out how to get internet in the room. The TV was not responsive. Worse still, there was no one on the main desk to respond to these issues.

• Standard Queen Room

TV only able to get the A B C channel. A more complete compendium is required. WiFi did not cover the full say.

Room,facilities, location . No street noise even though in a very busy section of the city.

• Superior King Room

Parking was fine during the day however if you had to find a park after 6pm there was nothing onsite available. That was very inconvienient with small children.

Convenient to the city. Basic but good.

• Standard Queen Room

Breaky wasn't as good as it could have been , needed more variety and a lot of room was wasted with large round tables with 1 or 2 people sitting at them while large families had to leave because staff didnt relocate

Location of hotal, cleanliness of room staff and arrangment of keys after hours was great

• Superior King Room

There was no parking in the onsite parking until the following morning, had to park a long way from the hotel. The rooms are very basic for the price. The breakfast was terrible, had to pay extra to get overcooked eggs, hash browns soaked in oil and baked beans.

• Standard Queen Room

Toilet didn't flush, it was stained, water pressure in shower terrible, bed was like sleeping on concrete, no cleaners on the weekend 3 days of towels on the floor, ran out of shampoo etc, bins full etc. Received an "upgrade" toilet worked, water pressure in shower was better, shower nozzle was broken, so the whole bathroom got a shower, this bed much better. Smokers on the inside balcony..

Ashley the receptionist was lovely, and was able to provide more local attractions to see. The location is great right in the heart town.

• Standard Queen Room

Rooms were not made up daily. We were there Friday Saturday Sunday nights and not made up on weekends! Breakfast was basic - cereal toast tea coffee yoghurt. Hot breakfast not included.

Close to hotels and restaurants on Palmer St Taxi rank out front

• Standard Queen Room

We were not aware, and reception did not tell us, that the hotel did not make up the rooms on the weekend. This was not an issue for us, but I t k they should have mentioned it

• Superior King Room

We asked for a quite room but we were given a noisy room backing onto the car park. The free wifi did not work at all!! The breakfast was terrible

Location was convenient

• Superior King Room

All the staff were so happy and friendly. They were there if I needed anything but I didn't feel like they were constantly checking up on me. It was nice to stay somewhere that allows you just to relax. The breakfast that was included was great and they also had a hot buffet brekky for $10 extra, it was so good. I will definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Standard Queen Room

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Location excellent, close to all types of restaurants and hotels, easy walk to the main city area. Excellent value for the cost with breakfast included. Would recommend to anyone spending time in Townsville.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Standard Queen Room

We stayed at room 101 which was at the end of the hallway at 1st floor. We couldn't receive any wi-fi signal. We reported to the front desk but the problem was not sought out until we checked out. The fridge was a bit noisy.

Good Location for dining out.

• Superior King Room

We stayed for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights and we were not impressed that the room was not serviced at all during our stay. I found no mention of this on the booking.com site. It is manageable if you are aware of the lack of service but not if it is not mentioned at all. I had to find a staff member to get additional towels. The property runs on minimal staffing during the weekends so it is not always easy to find someone to help. A little disappointing.

The rate included continental breakfast which was OK and there was also a hot food menu available. I had the Classic breakfast and it was good. My wife had eggs benedict on salmon and was pleased with the meal.

• Standard Queen Room

The pool was too exposed. I would liked to have used it but passers by and cars could see you. Plants along the fence line and perspex would easily solve this issue and also make it seem more tropical and inviting. It seemed too stark and exposed . Also a window that opened in our room would have been nice!

The convenience and the cleanliness. The staff were friendly also.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Superior King Room

Mattress could have had a topper on it. (make it more plush) Dining area was not attended and took ages to have someone assist.

Went for the King bed, it was firm and extra big. and plenty of room around it. Reception staff were very helpful, and pleasant.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

• Superior King Room

Bed was very uncomfortable. A thin doona was between two flat sheets (no doona cover), the aircon was either very cold or very hot - made it very uncomfortable.

Free continental breakfast

• Standard Queen Room

Nothing that I can think of.

Chicken Parmi was delightful; breakfast was more than one needed - lots of choice. Staff and management very friendly and helpful. Car park easy to access and plenty of space.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Superior King Room

The beds weren't that comfortable, but mostly the breakfast was not good. We know it was a Continentsl Breakfast, but there was no ham or cheese to put on your bread. There were only cornflakes, milk, tea, bread, jam and orange juice. And there was no proper coffee :(

The room was clean and big, it was no problem to arrive late at night, there is a locker outside the door. They gave us the number and there was our envelop with our room key.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Standard Queen Room

I was happy with everything-even got a complimentary drink when I started whingeing about how tired I was!

Great value with continental breakfast included,great location only a 5 minute stroll to the centre of town and beautiful friendly staff.Wi-fi included and very quiet and clean.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Superior King Room

Fridge was very small and the water jug in the fridge must have been there for weeks as it tasted off

Parking was easy, Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Standard Queen Room

No room service on Sunday, of which we were not informed. No extra towels provided. Rooms small and smelly. Overpriced and staff had no clue.

The bed was comfy

• Standard Queen Room

I unfortunately didn't enjoy sleeping on the foam mattress but I am quite picky when it comes to beauty sleep.

The staff were absolutely lovely and accomodating. My partner and I were staying with our 5month old and were looking for a house and they helped tremendously with answering questions, giving recommendations, making sure we had everything we need; upgrading us to a bigger room when they needed to repair a group of air conditioning units which ours was attached to, helping us and being understanding when our card wasn't opening the door on Easter Saturday... Good and sincere service is priceless and hard to find but you'll find it here.

• Superior King Room

The staff at front counter were rude and not helpful at all. Breakfast was almost stale and none of the tables had been wiped down , yet there were 3 staff standing around doing nothing. Dont like its rated a 4 star as it barely makes a 3. Hallways smell of old cigarette and TV was tiny and not a clear picture in the room. We wouldnt stay again.

The pool was nice. Cleaners did a great job.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

• Superior King Room

Bathroom a little small. Would have liked a hot breakfast offered instead of continental.

We had the salt calamari, very tender and beautiful flavor. Garlic prawns were great too. Great value for under $20 a meal.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

• Standard Queen Room

the breakfast was nothing like it was advertise Continental buffet English/Irish, I would say the pub down the road service better food -the coffee was like dirty water yuk yuk yuk if you call that breakfast the hotel should be ashamed To the manager google Continental buffet English/Irish and see what sort of food is served that is definitely not what you call Continental buffet English/Irish style. It is a shame because to hotel and location was good

it was great location

• Standard Queen Room

We arrived afterhours which was well covered by the hotel. As the temperature of the air con is controlled via reception meant we spent an uncomfortably warm night. Perhaps a fan in rooms for visitors such as us who arrive after hours would make for a better experience.

We were happy to have breakfast included as it saves the hassle of getting into the car and finding somewhere to eat and then get into the car again. The staff were a jolly sight in the morning.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

• Standard Queen Room

Old and tired - Old TV, Dirty windows, sink doesn't drain, bed creaks, carpets stained, blinds fall off and generally in bad condition. Management need to visit the room occasionally.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• Standard Queen Room

Cold Showers on last night and morning of my stay. The flat screen TV is of poor quality with reception and size of it. The air-con is of old style and very very noisey.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

• Standard Queen Room

The reception staff could have been friendlier and more helpful. There was no eyecontact from one particular staff member over the weekend.

The hotel was in a good location and the room had all the amenities we needed. The breakfast in the morning was a lovely addition. The airconditioning worked well ;)

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

• Standard Queen Room

Toilet was running all night. Air on didn't work properly so we had to change rooms. No body told us that breakfast didn't include hot food as they had no chef. Tv remote didn't work and needed new batteries. For a little more we probably would have stayed somewhere else.

Free newspaper to read

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

• Standard Queen Room

The wi-fi code was given but only managed to get on the morning of the first day there very disappointing as was on of my main criteria for staying there

The room I stayed in was just what I needed to do a little work I had carried along with me and was within walking distance of great dining ferry and city centre

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

• Superior King Room

The staff were ok, and quickly changed us to another room when the aircon didnt work. However, aircon is in house controlled so we woke up sweating in the middle of the night. The rooms could do with a bit of tlc . Its comfortable for 1 or 2 nights, its location is great and close to many places of interest and great eateries. In my opinion it is a more a 3 star. But good for short stay...

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

• Standard Queen Room

First room they gave us wasn't cleaned before we got there, 2nd room had dirty sheets on the bed, the a/c was broken and the fridge was leaking over the floor which they claimed to have fixed after we complained about it. Ended up checking out early.

Good location right in the city.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

• Standard Queen Room

the aircon could have gone down a little more it was set on 23 but it was a horrible humid day

location it was so quiet in the rooms no noise from other guests very very clean reception brought towels out to us at the pool very kind of her