Reviews of Melbourne Marriott Hotel 5 stars

Corner Exhibition And Lonsdale Streets, 3000 Melbourne, Australia

#25 of 169 hotels in Melbourne

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Excellent hotel with great service, would highly recommend it
    • Queen or Double Room with Courtyard View

No complaints at all

Excellent service from the minute we arrived, from the valet parking (most helpful when you are in a wheelchair), to the welcoming reception staff (who offered us champagne and chocolates) and the concierge who promptly arranged for our luggage to be delivered to our room. Our room was immaculate with everything we needed and more, including great bedding and bathroom facilities. We went out to dinner and to Mamma Mia The Musical for my husbands birthday and came back to find a complimentary bottle of wine in our room with a hand written card wishing us a great stay. As a buffet breakfast was going to be a challenge for me in a wheelchair, a full breakfast was delivered to our room instead. Check out was easy and our car arrived in minutes. Everyone was most helpful and obliging

Very good spot to stay and visit Melbourne
    • Deluxe Queen or Double Room with City View

Very good spot to stay and visit Melbourne. Hotel with spa and sauna to relax after walking around. We have been kindly upgraded for a room with a small courtyard in order to smoke ;)

A lovely weekend away in a lovely location
    • Deluxe Queen or Double Room with City View

Everything was great. Particularly enjoyed the acoustic performance in the bar early evening which was great nexprcted. Food was fantastic. The location to wander around town is perfect and the staff were just so friendly and helpful.

Never fails to delight
    • One-Bedroom King Suite with Sofa Bed

Great location. Outstanding service from the moment you come through the door. Great location, close to shops, restaurants and China town. Large, comfy room and great shower. Real winner is the commitment to and deliver of excellent customer experience with great attention to detail.

French Receptionist very friendly and helpfull
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

- Staff in Restaurant not so friendly - Breakfast choice ok, but not what we expected - Dinner and lunch choice limited - Too expensive for what you get

French Receptionist very friendly and helpfull

It was lovely and great for the occasion
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

After being given the VIP access lounge, there was a miscommunication to whether breakfast at the downstairs restaurant was free or not. This led to us being told half way through eating and led to a few extra costs which weren't planned.

Room was lovely, staff were really friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay there again.

Overall a very pleasent experience
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

Parking was a bit expensive but I guess you are in the middle of Melbourne Hotel is starting to get a bit dated (sorry)

Hotel staff were excellent my wife was very impressed with the Champagne on arrival Birthday gift was also unexpected and extremely welcome thank you all !!

Very good
    • Deluxe Queen or Double Room with City View

Location, was difficult for places I wanted to go and for tour drop offs.

Beds and pillows excellent staff very helpful and friendly. Room well appointed.location

Glass of wine on arrival, but the extra money per night for the 'upgrade' was NOT worth it.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

I was charged for valet parking when I didn't use it. The address on my invoice was completely incorrect.

Upon arrival the customer service seemed excellent. Problem with the TV was fixed within ten minutes and extra pillows brought up quickly.

Best staff I have ever come across
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

We went for a swim and spa it was just fantastic. Then at dinner we received a free bottle of wine with our meal as we booked a magic show that's held at the motel.Then after the show we got another free bottle of wine and chocolate in our room thanking us. The meals were great and the staff were the best I have ever come across. Thankyou and well done to all staff you are so friendly

Luxurious room....attentive and professional staff...wonderful food....excellent location.

Nothing at all.

The bed and pillows exactly the right comfort level....the bathroom spacious and practical - thank you for the counter space!!! Breakfast delightful, restaurant for dinner exceptional.

The location is very good.
    • Deluxe Queen or Double Room with City View

The swimming pool is not in the hotel

The location is very good. Valet parking is very good. Breakfast is very good。The hotel employees are very friendly。

a great break!
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

Men wearing "singlets" in the essence dining area, not pleasant eating breakfast amongst hairy armpits!

Helpful friendly staff, excellent facilities.

Apart from the bed was great.
    • Executive Room with Club Lounge Access

Paying for an executive club room and having to sleep in a fold out bed!!

Great Breakfast. Although they tried to charge us for it even though it was included.

Wonderful as usual.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

Great staff, excellent facilities. Close proximity to CBD for Christmas shopping. Room was extremely quiet, it was as though there were no other guests.

5 star quality and service in every way
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

The pool area felt a bit more like a public swimming pool rather than the spa type you might expect

The best thing about this hotel is the 5 star treatment that the staff give you, from the lobby, the check in (with prosecco), the offer to carry your bags straight to your room, the personalized gift when I came back, the wonderful cleaning staff, the place is spotless. The breakfast was again a true 5 star buffet. The bed was comfortable and the room spacious.

Not the best stay in Melbourne. Will try somewhere else next time.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

The room was over heated. Even with the air conditioner on it was too hot to have a comfortable sleep. The consierge took our bags and put them in our car in the car park. He must have rolled it through a dirty oil spill because when we got home the wheels on the bag left grease marks on our cream carpet. They were not dirty when we left.

We only had a drink in the bar which was enjoyable

Friedly and helpul staff. Will stay here again.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

The Reception Staff and Catering Staff were excellent. Very friendly, helpful and efficient service. My wife and I both commented on how good they were.

A rip-off
    • Deluxe Queen or Double Room with City View

Paid $560 for a "City View" Deluxe Queen Room. Turned out the so-called "City View" is just the ONE ugly building across the street. Room is at level one. How can a room at level one in the heart of the CBD has any "City View"??? I looked for properties which has City View on the website specifically and ended up with this total bummer. When asked about the view not as expected, the staff explained because the room is facing towards the city so it's city view. ABSURD!!! This is false advertisement. If I'm not this busy I'll take this to the ACCC The room also does not have a bath. I didn't check this when I booked though. I just assumed that a room this expensive must have a bath. Oh silly me. How I underestimated their cheekiness. Also the corridor smells like old house and the carpet in the room looks aged and unclean (Just looks unclean because it's old but of course I did not verify by touching it). The room possibly used to be a suite because there is a door connects to the other room but now is sealed with a dirty timber board. The door is not locked so if you accidentally open it you will find the unpleasant ugly wood board. No sound proofing on that wall so you can spy on your next door neighbour (works the other way, too I guess), no listening enhancement device needed. I booked 2 nights. Ended up cancelled one night and moved to Park Hyatt. Their room has a real City View but they only advertised as has view because they said their building is not high enough to guarantee a great view so they won't say it has City View. Hotel offered to send the invoice to my email. It has been 2 business days yet no invoice has been received. Prior to my stay I asked via email if I can have a bigger bed in the room and how much it may cost. No reply received to date. I also asked about activating my rewards account I previously got from another Marriott Hotel in that email. I won't bother now.

Location is superb

excellent
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

staff were so friendly and helpful. The rooms were spacious, clean. The beds and pillows were so so comfortable. Central to everything. Highly recommend.

The friendliest hotel staff I've come across!
    • Deluxe Queen or Double Room with City View

I've stayed here twice and both times have been really enjoyable. The rooms are big, clean and well equipped. The beds are also big and very comfortable. The staff were a stand out though! They were probably the friendlest hotel staff I've come across in Australia!

Family friendly happy hotel
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

although the food tasted good in the restaurant, there was limited menu for the person with Coeliac. Would be nice to see large chains become more involved with people who have food allergies.

I stayed with my 12 year old daughter, and the staff made our stay perfect. Nothing was too much trouble. Bed and pillows very comfy. Dressing gowns and slippers for going to and from the pool. Heated indoor pool and spa was great, with aids and balls etc. to use. Didn't try the sauna or Gym but they were there and looked in good condition.

My favourite hotel
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

Staff were very friendly and always trying to be of help. My favourite place to stay in Melbourne with that gorgeous Marriott fragrance welcoming you into the lobby. Great position if heading to the theatre with lots of good restaurants nearby.

Marriott hospitality is service and style; staff confident & committed to serving
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

.....the weather?!! a tennis court?! love tennis.....

Room-service prompt is always good when feeling like a cup of tea. Breakfast is fabulous, as is service; interesting intercultural blend of Cambodian, European and Australian waiters and valets; nice:) Formal and respectufl at cashier; nice:) Clean bathrooms and rooms in general is the most important aspect of accommodation; add excellent service mindset and viola! This is hospitality:) I like style that is understated; I feel anxious in hotels that are decorated with loud heavy red and black wrought-iron contrasting it; nice to be surrounded by light, soft and bright.

The staff especially the chief concierge Anthony Szostak...
    • One-Bedroom Suite with City View

Leaving the hotel ;)

The staff especially the chief concierge Anthony Szostak went out of their way to help us out of a very sticky situation. We had bought a new suit for a very important engagement the next day only to find out at 10pm that the shop had left the ink tag on! Anthony spent two hours helping us remove the tag after he had finished his shift and even offered us his own wedding suit as a replacement! We could not believe it! He even came in early the next day to hand over this suit. We have never come across this sort of kindness and help even generally let alone in hotels. When we left, he gifted us a beautiful bottle of red wine, chocolates and a hand written note. I think that just because of this he deserves an 'employee of the year' acknowledgement. We have travelled to many places and have stayed in several hotels of various classes all over the world in the past but this experience really made our stay at Marriott a thoroughly memorable one. It turned an episode that could have been a disaster into an extremely positive one. We will never forget what Anthony did and hope to reciprocate in some way. Everyone else at the hotel was also warm and friendly and always greeted us with the biggest smile. The hotel room was a very good size and smartly laid out to offer separate living areas in a compact space with a television in the lounge and also in the bedroom. The bathroom was of a good size and the Thann brand of amenities were luxurious.

Best staff in Melbourne

Nothing really

The staff were the best I've ever encountered in any hotel I have stayed in and they are a lot both in Melbourne and overseas. Every staff member we had contact with was always happy to engage with a greeting or a chat. My friend and I agreed that this was more important to us than any other thing. My friend (who regularly stays at the Westin) commented that the Marriott staff could go give the Westin staff lessons! Loved location (had night out at Cimedy theatre) and facilities. The room service prices were incredibly reasonable and food delicious. Bar staff, ambience and pricing was just perfect. This is second time I have stayed there and will make sure I do so more often. I've never left any comment like this when doing a review!

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Outstanding service and attention to details.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

There was nothing not to like.

The service is always welcoming and efficient at the Marriot. We were greeted with a glass of champagne and some candy, which was a nice touch. The Marriot's service far exceeds other hotels and we have stayed in many. Our room was very comfortable clean and spacious with a great bed reading light which is not often provided.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Overall, i have enjoyed my stay in Marriott Hotel.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

The first day during check in the room was abit mess n slow. I had booked premier room through booking which told me there is sofa bed in each room. But in the end, there is no sofa bed in the rooms. However, the staff is fast response to get me one room with sofa bed for my kids n mother in law. In addition, there is slow response for the free internet access. I am unable to access the internet. I have tried many time but not successful. In the end, i have to go to front counter to resolve the issue. Moreover, the password is not my family name. Instead of key my family name, the password become my first name which resulted of all the confusion.

I likes the staffs in hotel. They are friendly n helpful. Good service n good job!

Wonderful stay in the heart of CBD
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

Laurent the front desk manager was very attentive and sweet to us. Everything was great in the room, very sizeable and comfy. The location is superb too!

Good hotel , clean and comfy
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

Very nice hotel , great location . Prob more 4 - 4.5 star not 5 star . The staff are amazing !!!!!! The service through out totally 10 out of 10 . Rooms getting a little dated but clean and comfy . Super location to theatres , restaurants, and a 5 minute walk to the Burke St Mall . Room service and mini bar prices were very good with the average meal being $20 . Welcome glass of bubbles on arrival was a very nice touch

Very nice hotel

All good no issues

Staff were very helpful Hotel was very clean Bar was was very good & the smaller meals you could order at the bar were very nice & well priced.

Friendly staff with warm welcome
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

The Wifi and Car parking was expensive compared to other hotels. When this cost is factored into the total cost of a stay another hotel may compete better in terms of Value for Money.

The staff was very friendly and welcoming. The location was good Taxi was always available near the hotel, no waiting time for a taxi. The bed was comfortable and room size was better than most hotels.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Excellent Location& Great Marriott Team, Thanks!

Nope

Excellent hotel situated in the center of Melbourne & Staff are very friendly and helpful. I will choose to stay here again soon! Thanks Marriott Melbourne Team

Stay was comfortable but overpriced for what we got.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

The bed was far too soft with the addition of a topper and the first night the quilt was put on bottom to top. On Sunday night and Monday morning the shower was barely warm. Was very hard to read buttons in the lifts. Didn't appreciate having to join rewards club on checkout in order to have room Wi-Fi fees waived. Seems unfair when we paid in full two months in advance and visa card fees were charged as well. Not sure if we would give this hotel a 5 star rating.

Staff were always welcoming. Lounge area next door was handy.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Everything was so nice couldn't fault it the manger...
    • One-Bedroom King Suite with Sofa Bed

Everything was so nice couldn't fault it the manger Lauren was a gentleman 10/10 the young man that parks the cars a gentleman wouldn't go past them

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Great location, super friendly staff.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

We decided to have breakfast one morning in the hotel. Our coffees took between 15 and 20 minutes to arrive, and when they did, both coffees were wrong (ordered a skinny cap and skinny flat white, and we received a normal cap and a skinny latte).

The staff were super friendly and very helpful. Parking was easy - however - it is only valet parking ($50 per day) so quite expensive. The Marriott hotel is in an excellent spot - close to restaurants (including China Town), shopping and laneways, pubs etc. We walked everywhere and didn't bother about public transport as everything we needed was close by. Amazing views from our 5th floor windows!

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

Family time for a special function.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

Could have stayed longer!

Had booked three rooms for self and family and we were all on the one floor which was great. Staff were as always friendly and helpful, they took particular interest in our grandson who has stayed at the Marriott frequently!

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

Amazing stay at a wonderful hotel
    • Deluxe Queen or Double Room with City View

The scrambled eggs were a little cool from the buffet - but if you order poached eggs they were amazing.

The staff were so supportive and helpful. Nothing was to much for them and they always greeted you with a smile. Even when I had an unfortunate incident that had nothing to do with that hotel they reported it to the relevant people, made sure I was ok and took care of me. I can not say enough about the staff. The rooms were clean, large and very comfy beds. Oh and a shower I could have stayed in all day if it wasn't environmentally incorrect to do so! Hahahaha.

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

very comfortable hotel in an excellent location,with good restaurants around.
    • Executive Room with Club Lounge Access

The executive lounge seems a little too small and most of the time rather crowded.

the service at the executive lounge is very good.There is a lounge attendant by the name of Min that stood out - esp for her quick response to what we needed.. The food at the ground floor restaurant is rather good.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

Never again
    • Deluxe Queen or Double Room with City View

Over priced ... bed was a double which we thought it was going to be a queen size which it wasn't. Waited 25 minutes for some poached eggs which in the end we didn't get them service was terrible and so was the manager. Wanted to charge for Internet which I find terrible seeing we are in 2017. Wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

A night to remember for all good things.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

Just a matter of taste, but the pillows are way too soft for my comfort, but of course I survived perfectly well.

Loved the staff. They are all so helpful and friendly. Felt like a queen on arrival.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Happy but little run down in rooms and pool area
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

The rooms look like they need updating eg carpet and bathroom looks pretty cheaply done. It looks like something you will see in an old home. I will definitely change those 2 things and your room will be a 5 star room

Friendly staff

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

Convenient location for Christmas.
    • Deluxe Queen or Double Room with City View

Wish the airconditioning was more effective - extremely hot weather during our stay.

Friendly helpful staff. Bronwyn at reception and Akiko and Gabriella in Essence restaurant in particular.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

Horrible
    • Executive Room with Club Lounge Access

The account issues were ridiculous Staff could not help as we were paying cash for accomodation then credit card was decucted whole amount not refunded Just ridiculous

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Overall, a good stay after seeing Kinky Boots just up the road.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

Requested a newspaper but that was not delivered. Asked at desk but none available.

We loved the outdoor area outside our room 105. The on arrival champers was good too.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Excellent Club Lounge! Value for money. Comfy, clean rooms
    • Executive Room with Club Lounge Access

Noise from adjoining rooms shower. Pool wasn't as nice as other 5 star places I've stayed in & had a strong chlorine smell..However might be a good thing for germs etc? Forgetting our welcome drink on arrival but concierge made up for it with Sparkling wine & chocolates sent straight to our room!

Bed was super comfy, bed linen a dream & room lovely. Staff very obliging to any requests to make our stay more comfortable i.e. Quiet room away from lifts/traffic.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

A great stay at the Melbourne Marriott. An anniversary to remember in luxury and style.
    • Deluxe Queen or Double Room with City View

The greeting at midnight on our arrival was excellent. We were offered a complimentary drink as it was our anniversary. The room was beautiful. Well designed and modern. Bed was comfortable and bathroom beautifully appointed. Breakfast/lunch in restaurant downstair was beautiful too. Gabrielle, Katherine and another dark haired (serviette folding) young lady were very professional and obliging. Jo on the door was very friendly and polite, as was the person in the red jacket. All over a great experience. Thank you. Robert & Elizabeth Portelli

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

Great experience !!!
    • Queen or Double Room with Courtyard View

Having stayed here on numerous occasions, I only have praise for the venue. The staff are ever keen to make your stay as pleasant as possible, with the bar and restaurant being added attractions. This trip I was allotted the courtyard room, which was extra special.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Visiting Melbourne ? Stay at the Marriot.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

From the time we first arrived the service was impeccable. Staff were friendly and helpful. Consierge was very knowledgeable and recomended great places to eat and must do sights to see. A short walk to the heart of the city. Would recommend to anyone and will stay there on my next visit.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

EXCELLENT! FANTASTIC! WONDERFUL!
    • Deluxe Queen or Double Room with City View

The staff made us feel like royalty! We were very impressed with the whole experience! Anything we wanted/needed, they were at our service! Special thanks to Daisy, Hector & Michael - excellent service guys - Thank you xx

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Kinky Boots
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

There was a problem locating our meal bill from the night before. We could have walked away as it wasn't on the account. We were honest and told the reception desk but they couldn't find it. We waited quite a while for them to locate. Other than that it was very good.

The choice of a soft pillow was good for me.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

The staff were very helpful and always willing to help.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

The staff were very helpful and always willing to help.it was my wife's birthday and after a night out we returned with cake but had forgot to get a lighter for the candles.we asked Laurent,a member of staff where we could get one to take to our room but instead he went out of his way to set us a table in the closed dining area,bought her a glass of champagne and lit the candles.its these little things that make trips special for people so thank you

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Great. Host (Suzanna - Exec Lounge Sat nite 29/10) - very professional and friendly.
    • Executive Room with Club Lounge Access

Sofa bed made up, then unable to sit on sofa/couch. Maybe sofa bed could be prepared when guests go out for dinner for example. Ready for return.

Guest stated Sofa bed very comfortable . Rooms are a great size. Shower facilities also great.

• Reviewed: 28 October 2016

Comfy and close to everything.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

Restaurant closed too early (10pm) - we were looking for a light snack after seeing a show!

Helpfulness of the staff & glass of champagne on arrival.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

A BEAUTIFUL AND SPECIAL STAY

Nothing at all

The beds were extremely well cushioned and supportive, sheer bliss for one who suffers back and nerve pain. On arrival we were greeted warmly and the staff went to great lengths to ensure our utmost comfort for our stay. My daughter and I were presented with a tray of magnificent pastries, courtesy of a lovely gentleman chef, who I think recognised us as the novices that we indeed were. It was a beautiful and very much appreciated gift graciously given to enrich our stay. We will return as soon as we are able.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

The lack of a Gluten Free Menu choices
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

The lack of a Gluten Free Menu choices and in some cases little assistance from staff. I do not think your hotel staff realise that Gluten Intolerance is an illness which causes acute discomfort when Gluten is eaten. It spoilt the overall enjoyment of my stay

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Has always been the first choice of our stay whenever we visit Melbourne
    • Deluxe Queen or Double Room with City View

The stuff at the café in the lobby seem to have a bad day every day.

Everything was prefect. The stuff was extreme helpful and friendly that make us felt very comfortable staying there. The concierge was very helpful who gave us good suggestion where to visit and how to get around.

Well located

Well located

This hotel is outstanding loved everything

No negatives at all

This hotel is outstanding loved everything

Central to various restaurants and the theatres

Central to various restaurants and the theatres

• Deluxe Queen or Double Room with City View

Cost and restaurant wasnt able to cater for us due to size

The beds are comfy
    • Deluxe Queen or Double Room with City View

The staff were very friendly and respectful

The beds are comfy

Location is very convenient.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

Location is very convenient. Staff were very friendly and helpful

Champagne on check in!

Champagne on check in!

The staff were more than helpful and very courteous.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

The staff were more than helpful and very courteous. There wasn’t anything that I think they couldn’t do if asked. A very enjoyable stay

Convenient comfortable and courteous

Can’t think of anythink

I would definitely return .. everybody was friendly and only too happy to help in any way .

Very enjoyable and felt welcome
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

Very friendly staff who were more than willing to help with any issue

Customer service amazing, room so comfortable.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

Customer service amazing, room so comfortable.

brillant and would come again
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

all the little things the staff did for us

Friendly and welcoming staff

Friendly and welcoming staff

Bed was so comfortable, staff were really helpful.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

Bed was so comfortable, staff were really helpful.

Lots of food choices nearby near little bourke street.
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

Lots of food choices nearby near little bourke street. Lots of chinese/japanese/korean food selection as well.

great
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

Great staff Location is walking distance or a few tram stops of shopping outlets and restaurants

Terrible experience

Beware Hotel charges for Breakfast which you never had

Location was great and everything was close

Bed super comfortable and room temperature just right for...
    • Premier Queen or Two Double Room

Bed super comfortable and room temperature just right for sleeping!