Reviews of Melbourne's Princes Park Hotel 4 stars

2 Sydney Road, 3056 Melbourne, Australia

#53 of 169 hotels in Melbourne

Stay away from their budget rooms. Unfortunately you have to call them to request their standard rm.
    • Budget Twin Room

Unwittingly I must have booked their budget room on booking.com as I got told the next morning. I have stayed here a few months ago with no issue. The room had a open window that was once painted shut. Well, there was no way for me to keep it closed so I suffered a cold breeze all night. Also the shower was old and either too cold or too hot. So no sleep and no shower.

The location is great, close to the heart of Melbourne without being in the CBD

the room was exceptionally clean .
    • Deluxe Twin Room

there was a lot of road noise but a room at the back would be better I am sure. Although the room seems to have been updated the decor was very old fashioned. Updating the bed spreads , curtains and paintings would make a huge difference.

the room was exceptionally clean . We had a kitchenette and apart from not having a dishwasher (which we didn't need anyway) it had everything you could ask for .Perfect for a one night stay, easy to get into the city.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Clean rooms but beds need upgrade
    • Deluxe Studio Apartment

The beds were too soft for our liking. We tried to comply with the towel reuse policy only to have staff change our towels anyway.

The room was very clean. Kitchen and bathroom were very good. Location for our purpose was excellent, but that was a major reason for selection in the first place.

Very comfortable room that we would book again.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Rooms quite small with fridge in the bathroom but fine for a short stay.

Nice clean room ,friendly staff , a great location and excellent value for money!

Recommend Princess Park Hotel for your stay in Melbourne,handy for Imax,museum,concerts,parks,shops
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Bathroom was hazardous,particularly the raised shower/spa bath,very slippery to enter and exit shower/spa, anyone with limited mobility would need a walk-in shower

Clean,comfy ,helpful polite staff,great location ,shops and parks nearby,close tram service to city and outer suburbs.

Overall a good experience but at $180 it was overpriced in our opinion.
    • Deluxe Studio Apartment

The room met our expectations and to some extent belied the external appearance which does look dated. The access to the room via stairs could be a problem for some

Disappointing!
    • Budget Twin Room

I don’t normally complain but unfortunately we had a disappointing experience at this hotel. There were Tram track works out the front of our window all night. Obviously this was out of their control but no information was provided when booking or at check in. Staff did not think to inform us or offer a change in room due to the noise. It was extremely loud all night. We were moved upon my request due to no sleep the first night. The room we were moved to was much smaller it was not a family room and no discount or anything was provided . Also disappointing that the original family room we stayed in the first night did not look like the pictures online when we booked.

Pleasant, I will stay there again
    • Deluxe Queen Room

I could smell cigarette shop on the landings... understandable given the weather...rain hail & wind

My room was clean, spacious and quiet. The motor inn was centrally located and easy to find and get to by public transport. Thumbs up

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Overall it was good
    • Deluxe Studio Apartment

Unfortunately the fridge in our room had a very strong smell of fish or prawns so we were unable to use the fridge which was a bummer

The location and rooms where comfy

Well located, clean and comfy stay.
    • Budget Twin Room

Well priced with lots of restaurants a short walk away. Lucky we only had an overnight bag as there was no lift.

Staff (eg Gregory with the beautiful French accent) are excellent, efficient, friendly and helpful. Room was roomy and functional. Nice and clean. PS i left my scarf behind and rang 1 week later... it was recorded in their register and the friendly Magdeleine kindly promised to send it back to me. How excellent is their service?!

Good value.
    • Budget Twin Room

I found an old lettuce leaf stuck to the electric blanket control so it could have been cleaner. Also walking up all the stairs with heavy luggage is difficult.

The room was clean and comfortable. The kitchen and bathroom were roomy. The staff were friendly and helpful. Tram stop was right across the road from the hotel and a mall was nearby.

Very handy location and bed was very comfortable.
    • Budget Twin Room

Toilet in our room was blocked, I reported it to reception but they never came. Thank god my daughter was in a room upstairs and we could go up to her room and use her toilet. Staying there again in a fortnight, hopefully the toilet is fixed.

Very handy location and bed was very comfortable.

Just right for my needs.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Electric blanket was blown on my side of the bed, although I didn't want it on!

Clean, plenty of parking, a good size room & close to my destination for the night.

Excellent value, comfortable place and very convenient with wonderful staff.

nothing.

When we checked in about 11 PM, they had already put the heating on in the room so it was a very comfortable temperature. The staff were very helpful and also had a sense of humour. It is very easy to get to central Melbourne from here. It is great to have a 24 hour open convenience shop very close by.

the front desk was really friendly.
    • Budget Twin Room

the front desk was really friendly.the price was great.the room was very clean.location from city center is really good.the best thing is the free parking.

Average
    • Standard One-Bedroom Apartment

room 250 facing a dark ally way. Done a Pentridge ghost tour that night, the allyway was more scary! No power due to not knowing about the power savers!

Parking undercover with cameras. easy to locate motel + location( not the room) Staff = friendly+helpfull

The staff were very friendly, they have thought of...
    • Budget Twin Room

The staff were very friendly, they have thought of everything, rooms very well appointed. Very clean which is very important for me. The sheets and pillows cases were crispy white clean.

Very happy
    • Budget Twin Room

Nothing to complain about, the building is obviously a bit worn but the price is reasonable and on balance it's great value.

Fantastic location, friendly staff, free car parking, great price. It will be our 'go to' accommodation' in Melbourne. Very happy.

Overall clean and comfortable room. Good location.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Wifi was slow and intermittent. Had to walk up 3 flights of stairs, no lift. Room was awkwardly designed. Fridge was in bathroom and had to close the bathroom door to open the fridge.

Location. Nice view of park. Clean rooms. Comfortable bed.

Great location and nice motel with good facilities.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Iron didn’t work. Not much seating/space to put luggage. I don’t mind climbing stairs but when you have a lot of heavy luggage can be difficult.

Very comfortable bed and room was very quiet and away from street noise. Excellent shower and bathroom. Covered parking area.

Comfortable but too far away from where I had to be during the day
    • Standard One-Bedroom Apartment

Too far away from where I was during the day (my fault!). Came home one night and there was a homeless person camping on the stairs! Traffic bad to get back there from Albert Park

The property was very clean and the room I was in spacious and comfortable. Goog restaurants close by

Enjoyed our time in Melbourne but hotel a bit tired.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Bathroom very small and vanity very old and small. Strip over carpet join at door not very secure.

The position. Close to tram and easy access to the city.

Great value stay in a safe and quiet area off the city center
    • Budget Twin Room

We didn't have microwave in our room and I didn't see one in the lobby either. I thought it'd be nice if there's a microwave we can use either in our room or in the lobby.

Although it is not located in the city center but it's super close to a tram stop (Tram #19 Stop 19 - Brunswick). 24hrs 7-11 is also available in walking distance. I found the area very comfortable and safe. The room was spacey for both me and mum. There's a big mirror right across one of the bed and a big desk along the wall. The bed was comfortable and we totally had great sleeps. The housekeeping worked amazing. So amazing that we followed the 'eco friendly' rule and put our towels in the rack (as a code to the housekeeping that we wanted the towels to be changed every other day instead of every day) but he/she ALWAYS change the towels every day. :))

Good motel north of the city.
    • Budget Twin Room

Noisy as on a corner of 2 main roads.

Good location across from park. Kitchenette was a bonus. We were upgraded to a larger room. Could open door to small balcony.

Basic motel in good location
    • Standard One-Bedroom Apartment

There is a slight noise issue as it's on the intersection of two busy roads, understandable for me. The rooms are a little old and therefore dirt accumulates and there was a slightly stale smell in the room. The main negative was the placement of the fridge. Not only was it not functional but it also blocks the only exit. There was only one askew position which allows the fridge to fit in place and the door to open. This seemed like a safety issue for me. Saying that I didn't complain there and then as I just avoided touching the fridge again.

Good location on the edge of Brunswick, overlooking a lovely park. Staff were friendly and polite. Near the tram line. We were in a one bed apartment so it was quite a big bright room. Perfect for a short stay in a good location. Ample parking.

Great location and friendly staff
    • Budget Twin Room

The walls are quite thin so you can hear other guests

The location next to the Princess park is great. Tram station right next to the hotel. Room OK, clean and equiped

Very convenient location, comfortable stay
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Apartment

Outside areas and windows and tracks could do with more cleaning.

On a busy corner, but no noise when in room. We had a one bed unit for 3 nights and found it very comfortable and met all our needs - cooking facilities fine, renovated bathroom. Cleaning staff very helpful and pleasant. Location is very good - just across the road from lovely Princes Park, tram stop right outside, shopping centre round the corner.

Ideal hotel for Melbourne weekend
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Friendly and very helpful staff. Really comfortable good size rooms, comfy beds. Excellent location across from park and round the corner from shops, cafes etc.

Good spot for a short stay near city’s excellent public transport.
    • Budget Twin Room

Bright light outside on balcony not linked to movement sensor and,as curtains failed to keep out light beside door it made the room very bright for sleeping. I understand the need for security BUT either a solid shade on the window side of each light OR a movement sensor covering the only 5 rooms on that balcony and it’s stairway would resolve the issue without compromising security!

Comfortable quiet rooms with very good beds.

Not great
    • Budget Twin Room

Facilities were old and gross. Noisy area in the courtyard til well after midnight. Shower has no floor barrier so entire bathroom gets wet

Okay for one night

A pleasant stay in a good location with a decent rest.
    • Suite with Spa Bath

Room was a bit dated, but was clean none-the-less. Met expectations at this price point.

Great service and a good location. Room was dark and quiet at night, and was freshly made-up on our second day.

Another relaxed and enjoyable stay.
    • Deluxe Studio Apartment

I always stay here when visiting Melbourne from UK. It is comfortable, close to all the amenities and variety of shops on Sydney Road. It is out of the busy city but there is a tram stop right outside the door. The staff are friendly and helpful.

Good location close to the city.
    • Deluxe Studio Apartment

The only real thing I didn't like was the traffic noise which goes pretty much all night. By the third night of my stay I was beginning to get used to it.

Parking was available free of charge which was good. The hotel room had good facilities and a comfy bed. The room had a pretty good kitchen with a stove, microwave and utensils. The location was good as it was close to the city but not too close with nice parks across the road. The tram stops right out the front of the hotel with a 10-15 minute ride into the city. If I was visiting Melbourne again I would definitely stay here again.

Management and staff were particularly helpful in extending...
    • Standard Queen Room

Nothing to dislike at all

Management and staff were particularly helpful in extending my stay during a busy period. Management and staff were particularly helpful in obtaining unusual items for me to use such as RP7 and hacksaw blades to help facilitate the packing of large items

Great Location, Great Owner, Value for Money

For the quiet floor you need to walk up 6 flights of stairs

Staff were great, Friendly and easy parking on site. Room was clean and Tidy, I asked for a quite room and that was supplied, I had a great night's sleep.

Value for money.
    • Budget Twin Room

Decor was tired but the room was clean. Found it annoying that there wasn’t a sink in the bathroom- it was outside in the kitchen area.

Room was basic but large. Opposite a lovely park. Quiet and the staff were really helpful and friendly. WiFi was great.

Fantastic Location
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

We had the two-bedroom apartment on Sydney Road. It was an excellent location as we were attending the Carlton-Collingwood AFLW game at Princess Park. We were in close walking distance to a shopping centre with an excellent supermarket. It is also in close proximity to a lot of eating venues.

Loved my room, only slept though, didnt try breakfast.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

No lift and narrow stairs made carrying up bags awkward

Arrived early, got upgraded, room was brilliant, beds were comfortable, view was good and the room was quiet despite the proximity to major roadways. Really happy with my stay

Comfortable stay with loads of food options!
    • Budget Twin Room

Experienced insects in room.

Beds were comfortable. Free on-site parking was a big plus. Late night eating options on the Sydney Road were a big blessing.

Great place to stay for easy access to Parkville and teams
    • Budget Twin Room

Staff friendly and helpful. Comfortable bed and clean room. Great location across road from Princess Park; which is a great place for a morning walk.

Pretty good thx.
    • Budget Twin Room

A lounge chair or couch in room would be nice. Quoted price - then had tax added ... tricky & deceiving!

Quietness of Location - even in close to central Melbourne

Convenient location and clean motel

Nothing comes to mind.

The staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was an adequate size and very clean. Bed was comfortable. Room service breakfast was great the next morning. We got off the Spirit of Tasmania boat and this was a handy location to stay. Parking was good.

Tram direct to Flinders Street station immediately outside...
    • Budget Twin Room

As a solo traveller, no dead bolt on the door and room accessed direct from driveway/street. That said 24 hour reception nearby and no apparent reason to feel unsafe.

Tram direct to Flinders Street station immediately outside hotel. 7eleven practically next door and good selection of bars and restaurants nearby. Opposite a park. Staff really friendly, helpful and very accommodating. Fantastic customer service. Very good value for money. Would gladly stay here again.

Perfect location, friendly staff - I felt welcome
    • Deluxe Twin Room

For what I paid, I can’t complain about anything!

The location was just perfect, which is obvious when you look out of the reception window onto the park.

Friendly staff who remembered us from previous visits;
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Friendly staff who remembered us from previous visits; the upgrade to an apartment; great location; convenience to the tram and also shops - we love the familiarity; it’s like home away from home.

Nice and easy stay, friendly staff opposite to royal park and Brunswick St shops and restaurants.
    • Budget Twin Room

the bathroom smell a bit need more air fresh curtain can't not fully close the lights in corridor continues on and light comes in the room makes uncomfortable

IT WAS FINE AS WE ONLY WERE THERE FROM LATE AT NIGHT TILL EARLY IN THE MORNING. GOOD PRICE
    • Deluxe Studio Apartment

THE ROOM TURNED OUT TO BE AND OLD HOUSE IT WAS NICE IN SIZE BUT VERY OLD AND SMELT REALLY MUSTY AND SO OLD

IT WAS A LAST MINUTE CHANGE OF ROOM AS SURGESTED BY THE GUY AT THE RECEPTION DESK. IT WAS A GOOD IDEA AS IT ACCOMODATED ALL OFF US

Excellent location. Great value.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Mattress was soft and we prefer firm, but was manageable.

Great service and clean room. When we went back in the second week we booked the same place and they changed our room to accomodate our request for a lower floor. Comfortable place and great location. The view over the park is lovely and the tram stop is only a few yeards away. It is a 2-minute walk to many restaurants, bars, shops, and convenience stores. Would stay there again.

A pleasant 3 day stay in a comfortable hotel.
    • Standard Queen Room

Available parking spaces were sometimes 20 or 30 yards away from our room. Traffic in Melbourne's city centre is dire, even outside "peak hour" times. (This is not the Hotel's fault!)

Hotel is located in the Brunswick area, about 2 miles from Melbourne city centre. There was plenty of free parking on site. We had room service breakfasts every day of our 3 day stay which were good quality and not too expensive.

Nice location but not soundproof
    • Standard Queen Room

The rooms weren't very noise insulated. Or we just had very noisy neighbours.. Rooms opened straight outside. Would have felt more secure if there was another door before our room door to enter the building.

Neat room and good housekeeping. Nice staff. Close enough for the city centre and nice cafeterias close by.

Value for its money.
    • Budget Twin Room

All was good staff were excellent Apart from the out dated interior i would not complain.

Good place to stay for its price old but clean and we would stay again if we are in that area.

Very convenient location to access the city.

All ok.

Good location for transport into city, both tram and train close by and frequent, no need to use car while in Melbourne. Easy parking. Easy for entering and leaving the city. Studio apartment was spacious, well equipped and clean, bed comfortable and bathroom excellent.

It was a great-comfortable and affordable stay!
    • Budget Twin Room

The stairs were tough with heavy luggage but my husband was able to carry them up just fine!

I liked he fact that even though I booked the incorrect dates, they were very flexible in correcting them and still accommodating my husband and I during the races. They also upgraded our room for us and gave us directions to see the twelve apostles.

Great near city location
    • Deluxe Queen Room

We have stayed at this property a few times now. Close to city without city bustle. Excellent facilities, close to public transport, with plenty of good eateries within walking distance.

the stuffs are so nice and friendly, they didn’t charge any...

the stuffs are so nice and friendly, they didn’t charge any booking cancellation fee when my family’s flight was one day delayed, and they helped us to rearrange my family into a big room when we booked two separated twin bedrooms

An easy choice
    • Standard One-Bedroom Apartment

Great location near the zoo and a couple blocks south of a big mall, grocery, and organic grocery. Everything was very clean and worked well, even though our 1-bedroom apartment was much larger than a typical hotel room. Eggs cooked perfectly (yolks just barely cooked)!

Safe, comfortable, happy, friendly, lovely Melbourne.
    • Budget Twin Room

There was nothing I didn't like.

All the facilities in the room were top-class. The location is excellent. Park over the road. Tram close by. Shops and restaurants just down the road. Perfect. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Amazing and super welcoming staff we where late for check in...
    • Standard Studio Apartment

Room was a little small but good price for what you get.

Amazing and super welcoming staff we where late for check in and such a mess at the time and we got checked in quickly and very happily same as check out :)

overall we are happy, will be back to this property again, excellent, keep up your good work.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

maybe noise level, improve it, double thick class window panel, upkeep of your flowers and trees, many dried leaves on ground.

the total space good enough for our family, next door is 7-11 store (24 hrs) and near by big supper store, and tram station across the building. no facilities, is fine for us, basic we need a clean and safe place to stay. keep up this way, your front desk staff is friendly, sincere smile, no fate, will come back to this Motel and recommend to our friends, thank you.

Clean and reasonably comfortable stay.
    • Deluxe Studio Apartment

No elevator in property so avoid this place if you cannot manage stairs. Temperature controls for shower may vary at times. No eateries nearby. Beds a bit too soft.

24 hours reception Plenty of car park lots Free parking Big bathroom

Convenient location and great value for money.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Only a few ground floor rooms for elderly or disabled guests (no lifts).

Close to city via the tram just across the road. Close to Brunswick restaurants and pubs. Large park across the road. Our room was quiet but others may have traffic noise.

Friendly and helpful staff. Comfortable bed. Good location close to tram stop.
    • Standard Queen Room

No lifts, so could be a little difficult for elderly guests on first and second floors. However staff were more than happy to assist with baggage.

Friendly and helpful staff. Comfortable bed. Good location close to tram stop.

Just out of Melbourne, near the tram- 10 min tram ride to...

$200 for room bit expensive for one night

Just out of Melbourne, near the tram- 10 min tram ride to middle of Sydney, nice clean room, extremely helpful staff, good kitchen facilities in our room

The staff were extremely friendly, they did everything they...
    • Budget Twin Room

The staff were extremely friendly, they did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable. The location is ideal for tourists - with parking, plenty of nearby cafes and the park just across the road.

Would stay there again. Needed to be in that suburb for my son's wedding.
    • Standard Queen Room

As our room was on first level, and our daughter in law is in a wheelchair, the lady on Reception quickly allocated us another room on the ground floor. Upgraded to an Apartment at no extra charge. Very helpful. Room was clean and tidy, and bed very comfortable. Also obliged with an early check in (12.00).

Nice and quiet in a central location.
    • Standard Queen Room

The bed was fairly old and not very comfortable.

We had a ground floor room that was very quiet. The room was quite spacious and had a newly renovated bathroom which was very good. It is in a very good location, with a tram stop just around the corner, then a 12 minute tram ride to the city of Melbourne. It is about a ten minute walk to the Melbourne Zoo, and a large shopping centre nearby. Parking underneath the building keeps your vehicle out of the weather. A very nice park and walking tracks just across the other side of the road.

Good value, great service
    • Budget Twin Room

A small amount of noise from the upstairs room but that can be mitigated by booking an upstairs room

The service on check in was excellent! Parking was great, and included which for Melbourne is great.

Amazing, Fantastic Stay and good service
    • Suite with Spa Bath

At one stage our door key didn't work, but that was only a mild inconvenience that was sorted really quickly

The bath was amazing, and the hotel runs 24/7 which is really easy for early and late check out

Comfortable bed
    • Budget Twin Room

Woken up by the amorous couple next door who were having a wonderful time. This was 3am in the morning which I put down to bad luck. Plumbing also a little noisy.

Comfortable bed

We would stay there again if we had similar family circumstances for being in Melbourne.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

It would have been helpful to have had a couple of glasses in the room rather than just two cups only.

We were very pleased with the proximity to public transport and various places to eat. The room we had was very quiet, staff were obliging.

Suitable for what we needed on grand final weekend.
    • Deluxe Studio Apartment

The room next door left their TV running all night/morning on our first night

Suitable for what we needed on grand final weekend. Easy to find, right next to tram line.

very pleasant
    • Deluxe Queen Room

some paint work needed upgrading

access to public transport, accessible parking. Room clean and tidy and comfortable. able to open window for fresh air.

Short visit to see family living nearby.
    • Budget Twin Room

Room was a non smoking one but neighbouring guests smoked on the balcony outside and the smell came in under the door. This was very unpleasant esp at night as I was trying to go to sleep. No handbasin in the bathroom was a bit odd but manageable.

Lovely lad on reception carried our suitcases upstairs for us. Also offered us a ground floor room when I made a comment about my companion having hurt her foot.

Overall great value for money, excellent service.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The room was stuffy, using the air-conditioner would have been uncomfortable on a winter's night. The power points next to the bed are too close to the floor. My husband uses a CPAP machine and the plug did not fit into the floor socket. As it was about midnight when we tried, reception was closed. Our only option was to move the bed closer to an elevated wall socket near the air-conditioner.

The bed was comfortable, hot water hot, customer service excellent.

Tram stop immediately outside to city, and all the convenience of Sydney St a major high street
    • Standard Queen Room

We were upgraded to a room with separate bedroom and kitchenette as we were staying two nights, and were allowed to take the room a couple of hours before normal time. Very polite and helpful staff.