Reviews of Westend Backpackers 4 stars

Based on 2367 hostel reviews

4.8

5.7

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

It is and old building, my room was a mess, the bathroom was dirty and one of the days I found a boy in my room. The elevator is in the first floor so you have to use the stairs first.

Great location, near to Central and Museum Station

More management of the facilities would go a long way but you get what you pay for!

Amazing people all over and a great opportunity for young people to get out and enjoy life!

• Bed in 4-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

I met a guy who was living in my room for 2 months and he was super heavy with the price and facility he was paying so who am I to complain for few hrs stay :)

You pay what you get. Don't have high expectations. As usua when I need only a few hours sleep I choose the cheapest and convenient place and this was a bet choice. I need a few hrs sleep before my flight early in the morning and it was really worth for the cheapest price in the city only few minutes walk to Central Station where the Train for the Airport leaves in every 10 mins and only 15mins train ride to the Airport. Thank you for 4 hrs sleep I wanted for only $20. Really worth and appreciate. If it wasn't convenient, I would have missed my flight. Got on time only in 30 minutes from this place to my boarding gate JUST ON TIME 🙏

• Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

The WHOLE hostel didn’t look like the pictures. The male staff were rude. It was dirty. I had a roach in my room and when I told the staff, they just said that roaches are everywhere but this is the only place I have stayed in with roaches

It’s cheap

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

The shower head was designed for hobbits.

24-hour check-in is good, but the parking closes at midnight. Finally found somewhere to park and checked in around 2.30am. Discovered that while linen is provided, it seemed to be fairly communal linen. Heard rumours I would get a towel, so ventured back down the lift to get one from reception. View out the window was the classic city tower style panorama. Definitely felt like I was in the city. Checked out at around 6am just after the cops arrived. They had put on their hazard lights to park two vehicles out the front. I'm tempted to drive around the city with hazard lights. I'm convinced the city is a giant labyrinth for cars.

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

The staff are so friendly and happy to be there and to serve you it’s a backpackers you get what you paid for this is my 3rd year in a row to stay there and I will be back price is right and location is right we book a private room with our own bathroom full kitchen if we need it lots of people around yet I’ve never been woken up love it

• Bed in 32-Bed Dormitory Room

It’s very terrible place. I traveled many place. It’s cheap but worst . Toilet was not clean . The bed also not likes ad picture. Not safely . I check in , after 1 hour I check out. Can not stay here . But there still have many people there .. the location is near central 5minutes by steps But there hard to going up for checking . Anyway I Don’t like .

• Bed in 32-Bed Dormitory Room

The place was poorly maintained but for the price I wouldn't expect it to be sparkling clean.

The staff were really good and the people made the place.

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

Door fixed to bathroom. No towels or be informed to bring towels

Mattress on double bed poor with springs sticking out. Sliding door wouldn't budge to bathroom, windows need cleaning, very old & smelly bathroom

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Room was not very clean, couldnt close the bathroom door, kitchen was too small for me, always many people so you're always in someones way

Great location, perfect to meet many people

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

The cleanliness levels and standards were far away from what one could aspect from the website pictures of the hostel. Floor and carpet were dirty and scuffed. Major accumulation of dust in all vertical and horizontal surfaces. The were gums, food and dead cockroaches all over the place and even though we required a deep cleaning of our bedroom, everything remained the same throughout our stay. The air inside the room was stuffy with not possibility of opening a window, and the smell of mold was making us feel sick. The only way to have some air inside the room was through the aircon, which filters haven’t been cleaned in ages.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

The hostel was very dirty, bathroom was very dirty, the rooms had dirty bedsheets, all different types of bugs in the hostel. Mice dropping in the hostel very dirty.

The area was great

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Beds aren’t confortable AT ALL ! Hard to have a good sleep. No possibility to lock our bathroom, or even to close the door properly : in a mixed dorm it’s just horrible for a girl. Not a lot of space in fridges, and it happened that someone stole us food... A lot of missing things in the kitchen (knifes, mugs/cups..) and a lot of gas cooker doesn’t work. Finally the common room is very noisy, there is loud music all the time and it’s quite small for all the people in the hostel the lunch/dinner time, hard to find a place sometimes.

Located in the CBD, close to all the shops.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

It is not clean and very cramp. I stayed for five days without bathroom’s lights being fixed. Wifi connection is only available in living hall. If you want to stay connected, you have to go to living hall. There is no internet connection in the room unless you pay for it. If you are really in tight budget and still want to stay in the city, this is the place.

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

The pantry very very dirty, there was no hot water in bathrooom. The room, environment looks dull and old and smelly

Nearby central station and tourist spot by walking distance

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Tired and worn, rooms were not clean and the ensuite bathroom door did not close properly. The luggage room carpet was soaking and squelching, But I guess you get what you pay for!

Great location! Good kitchen.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

I have to put the good parts first as we didn’t have a totally terrible stay. This hostel is good for a base, just to use to have a shower in the morning and have a sleep at night. The staff were all really nice. However the property is not correctly advertised by its pictures. The whole building is really shabby. It was cheapish accomodation in the middle of the city so we didn’t expect too much, but oh my goodness!! There’s holes in the walls, broken cabinets in the rooms and a cute little cockroach that scampers about in the kitchen. I got the impression that the staff have had to deal with people taking the p*ss in the past and so probably now don’t allow any kind of luxury in the rooms i.e. hangers or towels (we had a private room and bathroom and didn’t even get a complimentary hand towel) there was nowhere to hang anything so all our towels and clothes just had to sit on top of our suitcases for the duration of the stay. Our room was pretty bad too. Small bed, dirty curtains, broken cupboard, dusty old lamp. As I said it’s fine for a base. I don’t think I would have braved the shared rooms though.

Friendly staff Location in the city

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

Although some of the staff were very helpful and friendly there was a large number of them that were cocky or sassy ( I’m assuming it’s because of the work for accommodation leaflets they have dotted around the place ) so some of the guys and girls think they are right tickets however do not be pushed over by this, if you can hold your own you’ll be just fine! The private room we had was a bunk bed with a fold out double bed on the bottom and a shower, although the shower isn’t very high pressure it is lovely and warm.

The place is located perfectly, in the centre, a fifteen minute walk to Sydney opera house and a five minute walk to the bus or train station, almost directly across the street from a greyhound travel agent and next door to a 7/11 and minutes walk from Coles or Woolworths. The kitchen ( all though only partly working ) has 10 hobs, plenty of fridges and a few mugs, pots and pans, also has a great hot water supply although if you’re just wanting a quick cuppa you may want to pip any pot holders to the post as if you put the tap on full within about ten seconds there is nothing but a drizzle of hot water left running so a quick cuppa may take a few minutes longer to make

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

Disgustingly filthy. Dozens of cockroaches everywhere. I had never seen such a thing in my entire life. Room was not like the pictures. It was in really bad shape.

Good location: CBD.

• Bed in 4-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Unforeseen weaknesses of an established enterprise. I hate to admit it but I have to. My sincere apologies to Westend employees, it's not your fault that the management was the one neglecting on these issues, especially when reported cases were not taken into accounts. Considering that Westend, given its pioneering authentic background suits to cater the lifestyle of a backpacker, like any other backpackers in the world, the management started with good intentions, to bring youth from different cultural background and socialize and explore opportunities. Overtime, the possibility of economic and capital management issues would take part in any organization, hence, Westend is no exception. Everything is almost perfect at Westend except for comfort and hygiene factors, in which, I would suggest, no management from the hospitality industry should compromise especially when it comes to cleanliness and comfort for all guests. Travelers paid for accommocation regardless of the amount they can afford, no guests are staying for free. I wouldn't say I dislike the hostel's facility and the discomfort arisen during my stay or possibly other guest's similar 'below my expectation' experiences, but the correct word I would use is dissapointed. I'm disappointed that the rooms and dorms, showers and toilets included as part of the facility were not as good as how I pictured it would be. Of course, it's just a backpackers hostel, right? But to be fair, despite the old building hasn't gone for renovation and well maintained, So what's wrong with the facilities and its interiors? Appearance matters, and functionality matters as much. MAINTENANCE: Rooms & Dorms: First thing I look at when I arrive in a room is its Cleanliness and Hygiene standards, obviously, it's where I'm going to sleep, if not for days, weekly, or monthly.

<<WARNING! Lengthy read material.>> Bragging Rights: I first made my way to Australia as an indie Travel Blogger/Backpacker on a work visa in July 2017 and grew tired of Couchsurfing all over the territories so I decided to move to NSW - Sydney's Westend was the first backpackers I've stayed - and I've been here 3 times. When I saw their promotional brochures at the reception, I realized that Westend is one of the leading / pioneering backpackers hostel across AU and NZ, it appears that this business happens to be a subsidiary member of The Nomads World Australia of the East & Mid North Coast (NSW, QLD, VIC), a 3-4 star hostelier connossieur (that's like 5 star rating for a backpackers' standard) and backpacking tourism industry designed to fit international youth travelers and backpackers ranging between the age of 18-35 years old, established circa 1990s-ish. It has recently expanded its accommodation services throughout Southeast Asia in mid 2000s. AUTHENTIC ALL IN ONE PACKAGE: The Nomads World Australia encompasses multiple divisions; Backpackers Hostel, Backpacker's Agency for Work Placement, Accommodation and Transporation, Surfing School, Event Management and Tour Guides. This is what I like about the fact that it has a profounding establishment history and it is still one of the desirable place to accommodate youth travelers existing in the market, similar to the much older YHA and BASE Australia. Check out www.nomadsworld.com.au BACKGROUND: Staff Members of Westend are youth backpackers themselves on a working holiday visa, I do appreciate that the management took consideration in hiring multiracial employees and that gives a possibility of them being bilingual to multilingual, where communication between foreign languages would definitely come at ease.

• Bed in 32-Bed Dormitory Room

The lift can be very slow sometimes and there's a huge flight of stairs at first entry without a lift. Not for the disabled.

I've left a glowing review about this hostel before (anonymously), this time I got a free upgrade to a 4-bed dorm. I actually didn't want it because it didn't come with lockers, but it was really nice to come with its own little bathroom. Clean and basic. Also I'm happy that this hostel had the sheets already on the bed which is nice to have less work to do before you jump in :-)

• Bed in 32-Bed Dormitory Room

Tiny bathroom, no sink space to get ready in, swishy stalls, generally uncomfortable to use let alone share with 32+ other people. Also if you have a lot of luggage there is a huge staircase to start with and although they'll help you up with it, if you have a problem with stairs maybe this isn't the place for you.

Great vibe, 24 hour reception, large 32 room dorm has free lockers, perfect location. I'm really going to have to rave about the lockers. Electric entry, one for every bed, large enough for the contents of your suitcase and maybe even your suitcase (certainly carry-onor two, plenty of room to spare)... If you're concerned about leaving your valuables anywhere, ask to stay in The Church so you can go off and have a good time!

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

The luggage storage is such a mess!! Not sure how safe our luggage are inside the store because no one is looking over it.

Location is great. The Reception is located at 1st floor, however there's no lift from the Ground floor to the 1st Floor. Thanks to the kind staff who help us to carry all out luggage to the 1st floor.

• Bed in 32-Bed Dormitory Room

No WiFi in the rooms. Bathrooms dirty, many people puke without cleaning up

I was in the 32 beds dorm, I didn't know they even exist! I was surprised to see that yeah, it was crowded, but I ve been in 6 beds dorms much dirtier. It wasn't even noisy at night. The room was dark, so I could sleep really well. The position is super. The hostel was full of people but the kitchen was always tidy and well organized. Super price

• Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Firstable, booking need to check the picture of the hostel before putting them. It wasn't clean, and it was really not the price for something like that. Even if the location is great, I would changed my hostel for these 4nights !

Great location, near to central etc. Easy to walk almost everywhere.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

Bugs! ... All through the bed! and ONLY the bed... They weren’t cockroaches, but I’ve never seen these kind of creatures ever before in my life ... They were in the bedding and in the pillow case. I flicked the big ones off, thinking nothing of it but then the smaller ones came out. I shook those out of the bed sheets and pillow cases, and they disappeared so thought that was the end of it, but even smaller bugs of the same kind came out ... I know I should have asked for a different room but seeing that I got the last private room, and that others had had similar experiences in previous reviews, knew this would be all throughout the hotel .... it was late, I was exhausted and had to be awake early so just admitted defeat. They weren’t biting me, they weren’t causing discomfort like dust mites do to my skin, so made the best of a bad situation and took them in as roomies.

Check in was super quick and easy. There was this amazing guy from Ohio who helped with the process. He was fun, chatty and high energy. He was the highlight of my stay :)

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

Kitchen was too small for the amount of guests.

Staff was amazing and air con was a nice touch. Great location. Having the option to have a quiet room was great.

• Bed in 32-Bed Dormitory Room

This was by far the worst hostel I have stayed at, and I have stayed at various hostels in South America, Asia, Europe, North America, and Oceania. It was dirty and the 6-bed mixed dormitory I stayed in smelled terrible. There were bugs all over. I ended up showering at the airport instead of at the hostel. I'd probably pay that extra $5-10/night and go somewhere else.

The staff was nice. The atmosphere in the common room was great (very social). The location was also very good.

• Family Room with Private Bathroom

Rooms are abit old and run down and have no extras-tv,towels etc. The double bed was harsh springs

We were looking for a cheap room for 5 people so cant complain there.

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

It was a party/young people's place. A lot of drinking in the community room, It was pretty rowdy with drinking games and beer/wine pong, at night. There was no quiet room. I would have loved to purchase a beer and caught up on my internet updates, quietly. No place to do that. The employees shirts said CREW not Staff, almost like they encourage the party cruise boat atmosphere. The room we were in was quiet. Didn't want to go to the party just to use the Internet. The community room was trashed every morning upon getting up. Sticky floors and cups and dirty dishes all over. Lots of people not cleaning up after themselves. No dish soap or dish towels in the kitchen so I cleaned my dishes with the cleanser every time. We were there just for the sleeping. Only saw a security person once. Front door did not lock anyone could come in. They would also have access to the whole building.

The rooms were small and dated. Carpet should have been replaced years ago. The room and bed linens and bathroom were clean. There were no bugs, even better. It was a good deal for the money. Water pressure in bathroom sink was not very strong. Shower and toilet worked great. Walking distance to lots of downtown areas

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Where should I start...the 6 dorm bedroom was moist and smelled Like someone died a minute ago.even the matress was moist, nearly wet.the location of the sockets in the room were hilarious and only half of them worked.right next to our room which was located at the 7th Floor,was a constuction Site but im clueless what the owners have in mind to build over there. At around 9pm we asked the receptionist to Order a shuttle for US.he replied that we should come down tomorrow morning,half a hour before we need to take of(06 am).after having a moldy shower WE went to the reception Just to hear that its quiet complicated to get a shuttle at that time.

The place ist located in the Center of sydney. There is a Socket in the Elevator in case you need to Charge your mobile.

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

Not clean, dead roaches in the room, rubbish wifi, they announce parties and stuff they are going to over the PA into every room which is annoying

Cheap, air conditioning

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Disgusting. Smelled vile (like puke), no air con, filthy, messy shared rooms, nothing like the pictures. I couldn’t stay here and booked in somewhere else in the end

The front desk helped me with my cases

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

I stayed in a 6 bed dorm and it was ridiculously small. The bunk beds were touching each other and there was no where to put my bags being the last person to check into the room. I complained to the staff who upgraded me to a 4 bed which was better in terms of space. Neither of the rooms were clean and you get to share your showers with bugs. Also the beds are so uncomfortable and dip in the middle and the pillows are so overused and soft that you may as well not have one. There is only 1 lift for the 13 floor building which only runs from the first floor anyway and when I left it was broken.

The hostel is very lively if you are looking for a cheap place to crash and people to go out with.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

Booked a private room in this hostel and it was disgusting. It was infested with cockroaches. I know cockroaches are fairly normal in Australia but I killed about 15 in half an hour they were everywhere. There were also dead ones left on the floor when I arrived, you’d think housekeeping would have cleaned the room properly. I even got ‘upgraded’ on arrival so I dread to think what the other rooms would have been like!

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

The pics didn't match the room. It had a floor carpet, which feels very unsanitary. The mattress and pillow were too thin. There's a lot of stairs and one lift, which takes forever. The bathroom looked clean enough but old and neglected. The kitchen/common area was super hot all the time.

Friendly staff and good location.

• Bed in 32-Bed Dormitory Room

Sometimes the doors for the bathrooms are hard to open & close

So many nice people & the events they have planned for each and everyday are very fun!

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

There is no lift from the bottom floor - they do have a sign with a contact number saying to call if you need help but if you have just arrived and don't have an Australian sim card then it makes it impossible with heavy bags unless some you meet a very kind person who will help you up the stairs. There is also no recycling points in the hostel! - Big thumbs down on this one especially when so many backpackers are wanting to be eco friendly on their travels.

Staff were nice and friendly. They upgrade you to a better room if there is availability for free. Kitchen was kept clean - which can be a rarity in hostels. Stayed here a few years ago and they seem to have cleaned the place up a bit. Social hostel with activities every night so good for meeting people and making friends.

• Family Room with Private Bathroom

The kitchen is ok but slightly dirty. The room is old and the pillow is too soft, not good for sleeping and hurts our neck the next morning.

The location and the restaurants around is very convenient. The room air-conditioning is OK.

• Bed in 4-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Have to carry luggages up to 1st floor(No lift on G floor). Dirty bathrooms/ toilets. Smelly in Common area, Dirty kitchen. Cockroaches in bedroom

Literally nothing

• Bed in 32-Bed Dormitory Room

Cleaning of surrounding area near room, staircase was not at all good.

Cheap affordable hostel. Just 20$ for one night for 16 people room but got upgraded to 6 people room.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

My microfiber towel got stolen and my food too.They did ask me if i wanted a regular towel from the hostel to replaced it but as a backpacker it takes to much replace. The upper bed was so low that I hit my head every single time. The bathroom was so dirty that when you touched the wall of the shower you got dirt on your hand.

At least the bed was comfy.

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

Reception & lift near kitchen storage area which looks congested & messy.

Good location, common kitchen is spacious. Longer term luggage storage available at nearby CBD Storage World Square just across street which is more convenient & cost saving than Central Station.

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

Staff don't response to email promptly. Still allocate room to guest with non-working aircon & need to transfer room later.

Convenient location

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

I booked two nights,I felt good at first night,but second night, our room has one more person got big drunk and slept one of bed,that’s mean we lived 6 people room but we have 7 people inside. I don’t know how to fix that problem,maybe I should talk to desk at that time,but I didn’t. Although I think I will not stay here again .If possible,maybe I will change my mind someday

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

This was honestly the worst hostel I have ever stayed in; and I've spent a year backpacking the world recently. I was shocked and appalled that a hostel could be this terrible. I'm going to keep this review objective and factual, so you can read for yourself how I came to this conclusion: 1) this isn't a hostel; it's a dormitory factory. There's 16 odd floors, with only one elevator to service what I imagine is 100 odd guests, maybe more. So guess what? You're constantly waiting forever. 5-10 minutes isn't uncommon. Someone destroyed a seat and left it on the top floor, and wrote "waiting for my death" in permanent marker on it. There's a gap wide enough between the elevator and the wall for me to fit my hand in it. You can see this in my provided photos. It's not safe, and it's really unsightly. It's clear this hostel doesn't care about guest satisfaction, and only increasing their profit margin. 2) the rooms. They're all over crowded, the nice ones have only 6 people in them but they're tiny, and don't have any lockers to store your valuables. The bathroom is constantly wet and the air conditioners are broken and don't remove the room humidity, and leaked a puddle of water onto onto the carpet. The air conditioner makes an incredibly loud rattling noise ever 10-15 minutes and wakes everyone in the room up all night. There's no window, so there's no way to make the air fresher. Everyone in my room got sick. I had a really high fever and cold sweats for a day. I didn't have the strength to get out of bed or get up to drink water. I was considering going to the hospital before my room mate got me food from outside the hostel and made me feel better. There's one room called "the church" that's 30 odd beds. The door is just propped open by a bin, because people are constantly coming and going all hours of the day and night.

Leaving was an exilelrating experience, though they couldn't even do that right; they didn't make a reservation with the bus company to the airport that I booked through them so I had to take my bags, plus a disabled persons bags who was also left without transport, through the city and on the train by foot.

• Bed in 32-Bed Dormitory Room

Common area is very crowded, but this is a party hostel so it's not such a bad thing as long as you can find somewhere to sit.

Events every night. Some of the best prices in Sydney.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

The description and photos of the room I booked wasn't anything like the room I stayed in. The place was dirty and smelly as well as the whole building was in really poor condition.

Nothung...I wouldn't stay again or recommend to anyone to stay there.

• Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

The room was very dirty and NO lift to go up stairs to lobby and the entire place is very run down, old and very dirty!!!

Location of hostel and the staff was helpful let me change room and I was given 2 choices of room

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

False advertising. Original room dank and musty. Moved to newer room after complaining. Woke up.the next morning covered in bed bug bites. Got a full refund no questions asked. Just have known there was an issue prior. Disgusting, and not bloody good enough.

Great location to where we needed to be.

• Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Everything is messy and dirty. The building is old. The toilet bowl is broken. Air-con is dirty and not well maintained. The carpet is smelly and moist. I booked 5 nights but I only stayed for 2 nights because I can't take the noise outside and the dirtiness of the place. One good thing, the staff helped me carry my big luggage down to the bldg because the elevator is not working.

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

The room smelt mouldy, the bed cover smelt of old socks, there was hair on the pillow case. The general area was evidence of mould, and the air conditioner power point was broken

Nil

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

The bathroom was not clean, body hairs left in shower Mouldy Musky stale smell In need of repair False expectations from advertised photos Previous people’s belongs left behind

• Bed in 32-Bed Dormitory Room

It was absolutely disgusting. The photos show that the beds are spread out and there’s room to sit on the floor - that is all false there is literally 16 bunk beds squished into a room that has no ventilation at all so it’s like staying in an old sweaty sauna that smells like mould. Both my friend and I didn’t use the showers or toilets that’s how gross they were - we went to restrauants when we needed to pee. And waited to our next hostel to shower. The walls were pretty much broken, tiles all chipped away and the roof was breaking. The whole place was like it had never been cleaned before. We never got linen provided, staff said they would bring it up but never did. I felt completely unsafe and dirty the entire time. I wish I had taken more photos to add but unfortunately I forgot as I was to eager to leave , and I left at 4am. The photos I took were at about 5pm , the room was so dark and it was still daylight outside. I do not recommend staying here at all , it’s not worth the $28. I would only stay here again if someone paid me.

The staff were really nice, that is honestly the only thing.

• Bed in 32-Bed Dormitory Room

Worst hotel I've ever been. Such a dirty place. You couldn't lock one toilet door. Too less toilets anyway. Wouldn't recommend this place at all.

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

The photos made it look so much better than it was. It was to be expected but I'm a mum with a suitcase not a backpacker so it was not a standard I'm used it. I won't be rebooking. It was cheap though.

The sheets were clean and the bed was ok

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

Very poor ammenties in room no towels over priced for what you get. Embarrassing to think we have international visitors whos first impression would be this place.

• Bed in 32-Bed Dormitory Room

The bed mattress was paper thin over big steel rungs for the frame so I just felt bars across my back and wasn’t able to sleep at all

No lift to reception on first floor so they offered luggage assistance which was needed. Quick checkin and the aircon room was great

• Bed in 32-Bed Dormitory Room

Wasn't the cleanest of places. Very small room Bed sheets stained. Not many sockets in room considering how many people in room. Someone damaged my bag and stole stuff out of it in luggage room staff didn't seem bothered when told

Close to everything. Met good people there

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

it had a horrible smell and it looked like it wasn’t cleaned in ages. the rooms were small and messy, the bedsheets were not clean, and i don’t even want to think about the bathrooms.

literally nothing

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

This place is vile. I've stayed in hostels across Asia and this doesn't even come close to the standard I would expect to experience there. The room was damp with no ventilation and when I plugged the A/C unit on black soot came out. The bathrooms were falling apart with the main lights not working and hazardous lamps plugged into a socket above the sink. I saw cockroaches crawling over someone's toothbrush. The bed sheets looked dirty with other people's hairs on them and the top bunks had no steps so you had to climb on the other beds to try and get up which woke the other people in the room. There was only one plug socket in the room which was being used so no way of charging my phone. To top it all off the wifi is only on the reception floor and you have to pay if you want access to wifi in your room which as a traveller on a budget and already spending a lot on a dorm room I would expect this to be included.

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

when you arrive you'll find the reception next to the kitchen/common room and as you can guess it smells disguising all day, I don't think there's any ventilation there; also it is the only place you'll get wifi for free (you have to pay to have it in your room). Once in my room I find it nothing like the pictures shown on the website, the smell was just awful, no windows to open as they put an air conditioning. We had a private bathroom but it was nothing private about it. You can hear everything as the door might just be nonexistent and I think it wasn't cleaned for years.

not too far from the train station, grateful for the elevator and the air conditioning but also for the guy who helped me carry my bag upstairs to the reception. poor guy idk how many times he has to do that every day

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

the sofa in the bedroom was smelly and with large stain/dirty. The pillow and bed mattress' had a bad smell even with "new" linens...

location was suited for our trip.

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

The kitchen was pretty small with the amount of people living there. Also half of the cooking stoves didn’t work. A few bugs in the room but we could live with that.

The room was good size and comfy beds. Lots of activities every day at the hostel.

• Bed in 32-Bed Dormitory Room

Toilets need to be improved, some don’t flush and some doors don’t lock, leaving only one proper working. Bathroom: water kept dropping in one shower cabine 24/7, another didn’t drain properly making water fill up the room (or at least the cabine, so one would stand in a puddle). If you would improve that, the facilities would gain on much, much better results in the ratings - the beds are comfy, the kitchen provides all you need (coffee would be amazing though), the bathroom’s capacity is good enough even for 32(!) people (just fix the toilets for more comfort, guests will appreciate it)

Bed in the “church” room was comfortable! Was not as noisy as one would expect it to be in a 32 bed dorm - actually not at all! One could and did get as much sleep as one needed without(!) being disturbed in any way :)

Rooms

the events in the evening are good (goon pong, flip the cup,...) and especially the coastal walk (bronte to bondi) with very motivated promotionstaff :)

• Bed in 32-Bed Dormitory Room

Worst Room that I have stayed in my life: 32 people in a dark, dirty and not good smelt place. Kitchen in the same area of the living room: if you go watch tv you are smell frying.

Employees and reception

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Sam Ball, is a 'Minister of Happiness' for this lovely place. Everybody wants to have fun while traveling and he make sure of that with perfectly made evening cocktails Over games and chat with traveller friends in lounge. He took us all to a great party on Tuesday night in free bus, with free entry and welcome drink. Great experience.

Its so much fun, perfect place to make your stay comfortable and value for money. Clean and happening.

• Family Room with Private Bathroom

This has inspired me to never stay in a hostel again. The rooms smelt like mould, it was constantly damp, there was no air circulation, the wall was coming off, renovations everywhere, one lift for a 13 floor building, the staff were rude and drunks. Why anyone would stay there is beyond me.

Leaving the hostel

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

Rooms looked nothing like the pictures - dirty, even had bloody on the wall. Ensuit toilet didn't flush & made a constant noise. Door keys needed reset everyday & staff didn't want bring your keys back to you. Luggage room was horrifically unorganized & insecure - anyone could have taken your baggage.

It was in the city centre

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

Aircon had black mould all over it. Dirty, ill repaired. Lobby stank like urine. It was stinking hot. You couldn’t close the curtains. The toilet leaked.

That the room didn’t smell like piss like the lobby did.

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

The room was not clean, the sheets had stains and hair on them even though we had just walked in the room

The location is good and the room had good air con

• Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

the place sticks real bad of urine and vomit. the stairway going to the place the kitchen, and the room where all the bags are stalled need a thorough clean. There is only one room to hold all the bags, anyone can have access to that room therefore all the bags and where it is stated 'secure lockers' I don't think that's very secure. You could only get the airport shuttle bus if you were staying for three nights or longer.

good that there were separate rooms available for male and females and you had a bathroom per room which was good. The people there seemed nice. Central location.shuttle bus from the airport but sadly it was only if you were staying for three nights.

See above

It’s cheap but it’s dirty. Rooms strewn with rubbish and dirty clothes and not a care in the world for any cleanliness. It was stinky. The storage room was just beyond filthy, strewn with leftover forgotten items, food, clothes and shoes left behind from past travelers. It was also super stinky with dirty clothes. Location was great but I wouldn’t even dream of staying here again

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

The whole building smelt so so bad! Soon as you walk up the daunting stairs and before you even open the door to the canteen/living area/reception the whole building smells like a trash can. The canteen/living area is DIABOLICAL, food all over the work tops, on the floor... serious health check inspection needed or the place needs shutting down I could see food poising everywhere! When we checked in to our room it smelt so damp we had to ask for another room, to that being exactly the same. It smelted so damp I was worried for my health, not wanting to get ill from it. THE IMAGES ONLINE ARE NO COMPARISON TO REAL LIFE! This is the worst hostel throughout our east coast trip so if you think others are bad this is something else! I would recommend booking a hostel on the coast, coogee or bondi and then getting an Uber or bus into town on days you want to visit the city. Book in advance for hostels as they go quick!

Browse Westend Backpackers traveller photo gallery