Reviews of Novotel Melbourne St Kilda 4 stars

16 The Esplanade, 3182 Melbourne, Australia

#109 of 169 hotels in Melbourne

• Standard room with 1 king bed

Room was warm and couldn't seem to turn temp down. Walls paper thin to adjacent rooms, heard other guests quite clearly, woke me up and kept me awake. "King bed" was 2 beds pushed together, most uncomfortable bed ever slept in, was hard and lumpy. Bathroom sink had no bench space for makeup and had to lean across sink to get close to mirror to apply makeup which is uncomfortable. Shower head was really low when you stood in the bath, partner tall so didn't attempt shower. Breakfast was poor quality.

Staff were helpful and friendly. Great car parking spaces for a bigger vehicle. Awesome location in relation to everything.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

Definitely not worth 4 stars or 250 a night, it’s very outdated and doesn’t come across as loved at all, no effort even in the car park -garden area

• Standard room with 1 king bed

This time around I found the room wasn’t as clean as it could have been clear view behind the tv cabinet showed very dusty and stuff fallen down I did leave a note to point it out and bathroom was a little grubby

We love staying here the staff are great check is friendly and parking is so easy Rooms generally well appointed

They didn't inform me there was $25 a day parking costs . Last time there no charge.

The beach views and palm trees from my window as l laid in my King size bed . On my arrival there was champagne and chocolates cards,being my birthday and my girlfriend treated me for 2 night stay . The manager was wonderful

• Standard Double Room with Sea View

I don't have any toothbrush and tooth paste in my room and i have to keep asking for it every day.

I like the sea in front of my room and also easy transport.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

I'm waiting for either email or phone call as to why a room that was confirmed only 4 days before was not available. Spke to Brian at Novotel on Sunday, he said someone would get back to me! Not happy, wish to speak to someone as soon as possible

• Standard room with 1 king bed

Rooms appear outdated. $25 for car parking a day as a guest seemed a bit rich Staff didn't mention any facilities available ,eg where breakfast is served, times etc

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

That the complimentary drink voucher was only for 1 drink for 1 person when the booking was for 2 people. I would have thought a complimentary drink would be given to all guests.

That we were very generously upgraded to a spa room with wine and snacks in our room.

• Executive Double Room with Sea View

The breakfast was very basic for the price and the room was too hot - it was too congested. the windows needed cleaning to see the great view

the bed was good

• Executive Double Room with Sea View

One staff member in particular M.A. who gave me the wrong room invoice. I realised when I got to my car I did not have the right invoice and had to go back to reception. She accused me of giving her the wrong room no. I refused to have her sort it out and I asked Lauren who is outstanding. I never received an apology from her. Her service was fake, cold and very unprofessional. This is the only negative experience I had.

Fabulous location, views of the sea, friendly staff in particular Lauren who went out of her way to assist me.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

Sheets & doona were noisy when you move in bed. Signage on outside of hotel poor as to where the entrance was and the carpark too.

Room was clean, staff friendly, location good.

• Standard room with 1 king bed

The room was tired, and it was obviously for overnight guests. There was only one pillow each which were thin. I understand the property is going to be redeveloped, so it is on it last hurrah.

• Standard room with 1 king bed

Small, shabby room with poor outlook. e.g. Split in bathroom door, cover on old phone point fell out of wall, no drawer front on one of the drawers. Also really disliked not being able to get back into room after breakfast. Two long trips down to reception before a staff member had to come to door to rectify the situation. Not a very exciting breakfast.

The staff were well presented and helpful. The location of the hotel was perfect for our show at The Palais and to walk to a resaurant for dinner prior to the show.

• Standard room with 1 king bed

It was a little hot in the room and we couldn’t turn down the heater .. plumbing was a little noisy in the morning.

Spent a quiet couple of hours in the bar .. very pleasant!

The room was too hot and couldn't turn down the heater. The shower leaked through to the carpeted area. The morning breakfast stuff weren't happy. I saw mouse/rat droppings where the bowls were kept. For the amount I paid for 1 night accommodation. It definitley needs to be reviewed in the rooms and staff.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

Ceiling in the bathroom had brown stains like there had been a leak from the room above at some time

Great size room with 2 double beds. Nice hot shower. Very friendly and helpful staff. Good variety at breakfast. Location across the road from the beach and sea baths, walking distance to Luna Park, palais theatre and shops/eateries was perfect

• Executive Double Room with Sea View

The room hotel said they had airconditioning, we put the aircon on and the thermo said it was 22 and it went up to 23. We asked for a fan. They were helpful in getting us what we needed. If you say you have airconditioning, please make sure it works.

The view from the room.

• Standard room with 1 king bed

Rooms were a bit tired, especially the bathroom. I thought parking was free but was charged $25 for an overnight stay.

Good location for that side of the city & easy to get onto motorway. Price matches the facilities provided, so reasonable value for money ie you get what you pay for. Gym OK with reasonable selection of equipment for a hotel like this

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

Pool advertised open 8am-8pm all year round in room book and on pool fence, however my children weren't allowed to swim., because of absolutely no lighting. Parking was far too expensive for overnight!

Room was clean

• Standard room with 1 king bed

The tv did not have all the channels and could not watch movies. The kettle was really dirty with lime in the bottom and the outside was gross. The room had no USB charger point. The bed was poorly made.

Nice sheets. Comfortable bed.

• Standard room with 1 king bed

The hotel is in desperate need to be refurbished it's run down, old and tired. You pay for the location only. We had a spa room with sea views. The spa looked to nasty to consider. Brown stained jets. Everywhere you look has been patched up.

The location is amazing. Bed was comfortable! Staff are friendly & helpful

• Standard room with 1 king bed

Our room was very small, and we had a water leak as the carpet was wet. Would have preferred a walk in shower.

The location was excellent. The bed was comfy, and the staff were friendly.

Very old and tired building. Super thin walls. Very small rooms. No balcony. No views from our room. It felt like abit like a prison cell.

Bed was comfortable. Location great.

• Standard Double Room with Sea View

Steep front steps. Building showing it's age in parts. Sorry to see building appears to be for sale.

Best cooked steaks, cooked exactly right. Friendly staff. Great location.

• Standard room with 1 king bed

bath & shower combined, glass folding shower door. No USB connections. Could clearly hear the room next door using a noisy water tap, which woke us very early.

Clean room, comfortable bed.

We have no complaints.

Perfect location close to the beach, shops and restaurants. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Our beds were very comfortable and the breakfast was great, a little pricey but everything was available.

• Standard room with 1 king bed

paying for the car paring, as well as a surcharge for credit card payment smacks of a business that's desperate to fleece its guests

diner's food was good but the fit-out is like a staff canteen

Breakfast very crowded and hectic. If juicer provided, it should work!! No bar nor restaurant for Easter Sunday.

Bed very comfy. No bar or restaurant on Easter Sunday disappointing. Location great. Staff engaging and worked hard.

• Standard room with 1 king bed

The restaurant and bar were not open on Saturday and Sunday so therefore no facilities - they offerered room service but there was one chair in our room and no table to eat at - staff were arrogant - rooms are old and need plenty of work and the shower - well I would not use it

• Standard room with 1 king bed

The bathroom was small and quite dated. The toilet bowl needed replacing plus the extraction in the bathroom could not be shut off and was quite loud

Bed was great and the location was perfect

• Standard room with 1 king bed

The room needed an update. There were tiles falling off, a suction cup as a soap dispenser, holes in the walls, extremely basic for the price and tiny!

There was only one power outlet in the room which was on the floor and my phone charger wouldn’t fit. I had to charge my phone in the bathroom sink area which wasn’t the safest with water around.

The closeness to the Main Street of St Kilda

Thought the room were really small. Also small bathroom. Our curtain also broke, which we told staff about 3 times, this never got fixed.

Location was great! Loved that it was close to the Ocean !

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Room was excellent - had everything you needed. The bed was extremely comfortable and we had a wonderful night's sleep. The buffet breakfast which was included in our room rate was plentiful and of excellent quality.

• Standard Double Room with Sea View

My experiences in othe Novotel premises have been some what different. Much higher standard rooms. This hotel is in desperate need of renovation.

Bed comfortable yet a little to soft. Staff we very friendly and helpful! Excellent location!

• Family Room with 1 Queen and 2 Single Beds (4 Adults)

Was very run down, only nice thing bout the place was the view. I paid a lot for a room for myself & my 2 daughters (16 & 13) I was very disappointed with the state of our room, definitely not worth the money.

My room (and all those with a 4 digit room number) was oddly angled and very small. The shower had no water pressure and the bathroom tiles were chipped. A towel rail near the bathroom door is a bad location for head strikes. There was no chain for the door as secondary security. The hotel is very old and tired and even up for sale for an apartment development. The pool area was not inviting at all, fake grass, no shelter, tiny pool overlooked by apartment blocks. My room (and all 4 digit room numbers?) had an adjoining door and I could hear every conversation due to poor sound proofing. I wonder whether these tiny rooms are always given to booking.com guests? It would be even worse if there was a family next door as they promote their Kids Stay for Free offer.

Was able to check in very early. Great staff, very friendly, prime location in St Kilda, perfect for Skytrain and cruise ships.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds (4 Adults)

I booked 2wks in advance i was asked if i wanted ocean veiw or room with a view i said definately yes , my veiw was the car park not happy very dissapointed this was a rell treat for us an it was not what i asked for or expected , when asked about it to reception couldn't help an offered free parking .

The location was great

• Standard room with 1 king bed

Poor state of room. Very run down. Broken soap holder, shower wouldn't stop dropping all night, bath looked a bit dirty, tiny room, stains on doona cover. Charged more than stated wihen we booked online but couldn't be bothered arguing. . Place generally looking run down

• Standard room with 1 king bed

Shower is a little small(fairly low ceiling and I'm only 5'6) so someone really tall would struggle.

Comfortable bed, clean and good for the price.

• Standard room with 1 king bed

Excessive and questionable mini bar cost. International telephone charge that we did not make. Unclear instructions about using card for lift and room entry . Fridge that initially did not work. Additional withdrawal of money without consultation from our Mcard that required customer telephone query to be addressed. Not god enough.

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Shower over bath is disappointing but I can live with it.

We stayed in a Bay View room (506) which had an amazing view and was clean and spacious. Bed was very comfortable and there was a pillow menu available. So close to the Palais where we attended a show. Added bonus of waking up to see the St Kilda market setting up over the road! Breakfast at this hotel was the best! Large variety of foods to choose from and all cooked perfectly. Great coffee- served hot too which is a rarity these days. Very impressed!

• Standard room with 1 king bed

For the price, I expected a view of the bay. In future I'll do what I usually do and stay at a Quest. For what I paid I would get a proper apartment, kitchen, lounge and a separate bedroom.

As I was having dinner and seeing a show in St Kilda, the location was perfect.

Room 6242 has very noisy air con which kept us awake all night. Staff moved us to 101 and mislaid our backpack. No safe in 101, a toilet which flushes continually unless you jiggle it around and hot taps which fall apart.

Great location near the beach. Very handy for the airport bus.

• Standard room with 1 king bed

Only one bedside table and reading light, shower over the bath, basin plumbing was leaking underneath and wet one of our bags although reception did not charge for parking as compensation

Comfy kingsize bed, good size room, bath

• Superior King Room with Bay View

The bay view room was excellent! Just the icing on the cake of a beachfront hotel. Close to many wonderful cafes and restaurants, as well as great shopping in Acland Street.

Minibar was not restocked and there was no milk provided for the coffee. Lights in bathroom area lighten up the whole room.

Superb Location and friendly staff

Room was very small in comparison to the photos online asked for a room with a view didn't get much of a view. Could hear the lifts all the time. Grout in the tiles were not very clear and looked like mould. Quilt didn't actually have a cover on it. It just have a sheet over it thats very unusual. And because of this the feathers kept poking through and they had sharp edges and kept scratching me.

The location is convenient staff were always friendly

• Standard room with 1 king bed

There was not a compendium in our room detailing where everything was

Large comfortable bed. Excellent breakfast included in the price Close to public transport

The super fluffy pillows. Long life milk in the fridge. For the price fresh milk should be supplied. Also a spar or sauna would have been lovely with the pool. And a compendium would have been good.

The staff!!! And the food was superb in the restaurant.

• Standard Double Room with Sea View

Wasn't happy with the price of the buffet breakfast at the Novotel $56!!! We were in a hurry and didn't ask the price (our fault) but having stayed in a lot of hotels, that's a rip off!!!

Great view! Restaurants around the property excellent! It's a great walk along the bay! Staff were very helpful and friendly!

• Standard Double Room with Sea View

Nothing. Loved it. But we were in a very good room. Have stayed in much lesser rooms at this hotel. So you get what you pay for.

We had a kind sea view room and it was fantastic. Clean, spacious. Just loved everything about it.

• Standard room with 1 king bed

Bathroom was very ordinary was woken at 5am by a wake up call which I did not request when I told reception at check out there wasn't much concern

• Executive Double Room with Sea View

Booked a sea view room for my partners birthday celebrations, was disappointed to find we were on the bottom floor and couldn’t see much. We asked to be moved but staff said that no rooms were available higher up. Saying that, the room was a good standard. Swimming pool needs newer and more sun beds.

Location was great, swimming pool quiet. Clean and nicely decorated.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds (4 Adults)

The only thing we didn’t like was that our room was next door to the laundry which woke us up a few times during the night. It wasn’t ideal as my partner was doing a triathlon the next day. Heavy sleepers wouldn’t have a problem tho.

The room was very clean and beds were super comfy. Staff very friendly and helpful. Excellent location!

Dirty. I was advised that the bracelet left at the room which I reported lost may have been thrown away by the staff. Yet it is worth a lot of money it was a original bracelet from Africa.

• Standard room with 1 king bed

The room was tired and tiny. Stained walls and the tap fell off and the corridors and lifts were filthy. We expected more coming to a known chain such as the Novotel. Needs a real refresher!

The cleanliness of the restaurant and the breakfast was fantastic!

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Picture showed 180degree views of bay room didnt Toilet used & not flushed Toothpaste on hair dryer No hook for towel near shower

Tram cards availed Close to penguins Easy from airport

• Standard room with 1 king bed

Way too expensive for what it is. Rooms are too small and need renovating. Ordered breakfast and gave a tip but only after we opened the meals did we realise they hadn't provided all essentials like salt and pepper, butter, sauce etc. Parking is overpriced. Mini bar is expensive.

• Superior Room with 1 Queen Bed and 2 Single Beds

Broken bathroom tile, tap handle that fell off during our stay, really loud party in a nearby room past 1am without any resolution or attention from staff, didn’t tell us we could order poached eggs and coffee with the breakfast charge, check in was sloppy- answered the phone twice while checking us in (!) and the lift is so rickety and bumpy that I felt a little concerned.

Room was larger than expected with a nice seating area.

The hotel is old and run down and in need of significant refurbish They put me in a tiny pokey run down and dirty room , I asked for an upgrade which they happily provided . Worth paying for a bay view .they charge for 4+ star but failure to upkeep and maintain has Novotel at 3star at best - will I return? Yes ! I love St Kilda ( pool is old too but ok for a dip )

Location can’t be beaten , you are in heart of St Kilda beach and Luna PArk opposite hotel

• Standard Double Room with Sea View

Do not fix what is not broken. Loved everything.

As soon we walked into the Hotel we received a Welcome & Check In was quick & simple. Customer Service outstanding.

Deep water sign in pool needs to be repainted for children and adults to read more readily

Pool and beach location Sky bus direct to Novotel St Kilda

• Standard Double Room with Sea View

Decor was tired, standard room was poorly laid out, hotel needs an upgrade, ceilings in the breakfast area were dirty around the air conditioning outlets, looked like they hadn't been cleaned for a long time.

Rooms were quiet, staff very helpful

• Standard room with 1 king bed

Bathroom very old. Toilet had a very loud and long flush. Could hear people in the neighbouring room and hallway.

The location was spot on. Staff were friendly and helpful. Bed was super comfortable.

• Executive King Room with Bay View

A bit dated. Bathroom has a window to room which unnecessarily disturbs others if the bathroom is used at night. TV did not initially work and lift broke down when we first arrived but these were fixed promptly. Shower head leaked and we were continually supplied with two towels despite our booking being for three people and staff being continually reminded of this fact.

Close to beach and restaurants, and the tram stop to the city is right outside. Plenty of on site parking and $20 per day is better than alternatives although this could be seen as being an opportunistic charge by the hotel given the available number of car spaces and the associated room rate.

• Executive Double Room with Sea View

No soap, body wash, shampoo for anything provided in the bathroom. Which considering the cost of the room was very disappointing

Friendly staff, comfortable bed.

The air conditioning temperature in our room was too warm. We made several attempts at trying to reduce the temperature from 24 degrees to less than 20 (it was 43 degrees outside). We spoke with housekeeping/reception and did as advised. The temperature remained at 24 degrees which made it uncomfortable to sleep or feel cool and comfortable after being outside on a very hot day.

The Esplanade Diner for lunch and breakfast was great. Service was good, staff were friendly. We also enjoyed the pool area and being able to enjoy a cocktail by the pool was fantastic.

• Superior Room with 1 Queen Bed and 2 Single Beds

didnt like the fact the lifts werent working proparly and they need a good upkeep of them ...the staff didnt seem to interested to know they werent working either but no apologies came from them or explanation......was not happy and the fact we couldnt use the stairs made me very very anxious

bed was comfy and had a good breakfast with lovely view of the ocean

Rooms are very small, bathroom layout a bit odd. Lifts were behaving a bit strangely - may have been the heat. We were there on an extremely hot day.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Bed super comfy. Nice little pool, great air con, good breakfast.

• Standard room with 1 king bed

Hotel is becoming a little dated. First room the fridge was not working and had not been working. Moved to another room and has issues with the toilet flushing continually we had to jiggle with the buttons. Facilities are a little tired. In saying this we still had a pleasant stay because the hotel was in the ideal position for our purposes.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Position very good. Had a few maintenance issues with room but on check out were not charged for parking which was offered as compensation instigated by staff. We made no requests only pointed out the issues so that they can be rectified.

• Standard room with 1 king bed

The Shower was awful. To hard to get in and out of and had to run around to get wet. No pressure what so ever. Also when you turn the light on to go to the bathroom the light is more or less on in the room where you are sleeping. Very annoying.

Liked the location

Being charged extra for parking The process of double holding an amount of money for reasons that didn’t make sense even after it was explained to me The amount of time it took to release that aforementioned money after we left

• Standard Double Room with Sea View

Poor storage facility in the room. No drawers at all and only a very small amount of hanging space

Lovely location on the seafront just beside a tram stop which was very handy. The room was on the small side with limited storage space. It did have a large comfortable bed though and the bathroom had a good powerful shower. Ironing board and iron provided which was appreciated. We also used the guest laundry which was handy as we are in Australia for 3 weeks. The breakfasts were excellent with a continental and full cooked breakfast option available. This was buffet style in a large pleasant dining room facing the seafront

• Standard Double Room with Sea View

There was absolutely nothing I would have changed. Except maybe the way some guests treated the staff. When we were checking in there were a few rude people ahead of us in line (and some that pushed their way ahead) but the staff handled it professionally and carefully. I was very impressed.

We LOVED the view, we walked to Mexican food, we enjoyed a relaxing spa and would have enjoyed a swim but it was raining (in the middle of summer 😔), we loved how friendly the staff were and how extra thoughtful they were when they noted it was our first wedding anniversary. They made us feel extra special and so very welcomeZ

Browse Novotel Melbourne St Kilda traveller photo gallery