Reviews of Oaks Calypso Plaza 4 stars

99 Griffith Street, Coolangatta, 4225 Gold Coast, Australia

#95 of 321 Holiday rentals in Gold Coast

4.9

• One-Bedroom Apartment with Ocean View

Loved how private the ocean view apartment was and the location! I ran across the road twice just to jump in to the ocean for a swim! The sunsets were glorious and the community are welcoming and wonderful. Fascilities are great and staff are friendly.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment - Premier

A few minor problems such as unable to work dryer, drying lines broken, difficulty opening exterior doors. All dealt with by staff very quickly. We were not given a heads up on the difficulty of road access during the festival. We managed to charm our way in.

We were there when Coolyrock was on. Top location. Spa was beautiful in the morning.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Minor issue,,,,the shower screen tended to open so the floor got wet,,,,we worked out a way to deal with this but the screen arrangement needs to be sorted a touch.

The reception staff were brilliant, the car parking was policed where it wasn't at other locations and you lost your space...not at Calypso. The unit was clean and adaquate and the location the best!

• One-Bedroom Apartment with Ocean View

The entire area has had a face lift since Commonwealth Games, previous visits had a rundown look to shopping centre

Central location, very handy to shops, supermarkets, easy access to and from motorway north or south. Sunday beach market very good both variety and value

• Two-Bedroom Apartment - Premier

Horrible experience. Kitchen and bathroom had not been cleaned. Kitchen utensils were covered in oil and yet to be cleaned. Toilet paper left on the floor. The two bedroom apartment was not a two bedroom apartment. It was a studio next door to a one bedroom apartment. Therefore we could not utilise it as our children were both two years old.

I liked the fact that we only booked one night and could leave the trench the day after.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

The Oaks Calypso is very conveniently located. It is an easy walk to restaurants and shops. I also found my room very quiet and very comfortable with all conveniences.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Long walk from room to the lifts. No luggage bench.

The apartment was a good size and had a good view. The reception staff were welcoming and accommodating.

• Executive Two-Bedroom Apartment - Premier

We got told we were making to much noise? 2 people having a cups of tea talking inside with tv on . Was told to keep noise down as walls were paper thin so turned down tv ... not impressed!!

Location was good staff were helpful

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Mould around bath/shower rim. Got drink at bar area, to discover there was a tiny sign saying cash only. Bar lady was very unempathetic and was more interested in talking to the 2 guys at the bar. Good PR would have been to say to bring the cash on the next day/night. It was only about $8!

Poor was beautifully clear water.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

The floor I was on had foot traffic that I could here in my room.

I loved the property and the location. It was central to where I needed to be. The room I had was functional and had everything I needed for a great stay. I will definitely consider staying here next time.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Couches quite hard. Furniture looks good and functional rather than comfy. Mound in the shower grout.

Lots of places to eat and the walks around the area along the beach were spectac.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Everything was good, the only mild criticism is that it would be good to be able to go direct to the street from the distant units. There was a door but we weren’t supposed to use it, so it was a long walk back to the main entrance.

The unit was clean, bright, very nicely decorated, with all the facilities you need for a short or long stay. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The balcony was lovely and spacious. The staff were exceptionally nice. The pool area was wonderful.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment - Premier

The resort accidental cancelled My booking. If I didn’t call the resort to check on my early check in I would have not known, as I received confirmation from booking.com. The resort handlled this very poorly.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

I asked for a late check out which was approved. Then I had two calls before the late check out was up, they were calling to make sure I hadn't forgotten about check out. I then had to say that I had organised a late check out. It made me feel like I was being rushed out the door.

Great hotel close by to all the shops and entertainment!

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

There was no remote control for the air conditioning in the small gym. We manually turned it on but it wasn't working properly. Also I don't think children should be playing in the heated spa pool, but that's just my opinion.

Location was excellent & having a reception open 24 hours is a bonus. The king size bed was very comfortable.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Only thing I would change is maybe not get a room on the lower level street side as there was quite abit of outside noise, but that’s not the calypso fault, it’s just part of being in the middle of such a popular location

I loved the calypso

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

The pool is not very deep. It caters better for children than adults who want to swim.

As an apartment complex it has everything to make your stay easy. If you are looking for room service, a restaurant etc this is not the place for you.

The travel time to southport

The facilities were excellent. The bedding was excellent. The cost saving having facilities in your room to produce meals. The location was even better.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

I’m not a big fan of the shower in the bath, so that would be the only thing I wasn’t happy with. I’m only in my early sixties and I feel a fit 60 but I find getting out of the shower/bath a bit tricky and dangerous. I didn’t enquirer to see if there were other units with showers only.

Parking was easy and free. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Units were very clean and tidy. New beds were super comfy and best of all being right in the middle of Coolangatta you are in walking distance to the beach, shops, surf club and Twin Towns Club.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

If anything the shower head is old and could do with replacing. Mmm all that I could fault.

Location location location Staff friendly and room was great.

Nothing negative to say

Desk staff were very helpful and obliging . Let us stay by pool after we checked out until our flights. And allowed us to have shower in the gym when arrived back hot and sweaty after commonwealth games

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

WE loved the location of the Oaks The front door was the beach and the back door was the shops and buses. I recommend the Oaks because it is central to everything required to make a good holiday

N/a

Staff were super helpful, friendly and uber careing about our stay. Room was great spacious and clean. Loads of good restaurants and bars nearby had a really enjoyable break.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment - Premier

Tried booking direct but couldn't understand her(language) they were off shore I think on a saturday afternoon . She didn't know anything about rooms etc. very frustrating. I ended up booking on line.

Great location. Friendly staff especially gardener/maintenance man. Great room. You do need bin for recycle ♻️ bottles cardboard.

Nothing. We enjoyed our stay

Great location, employee on the front desk on the morning of 7/4/18 was the best I’ve ever encountered. So accomodating in such a busy time, especially working the front counter by herself. Hats off to you lady

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

The first room we were put in had wet carpet as it had just been cleaned and I could not walk on it and the room smelt very bad from this. They then gave us keys to a different room. When I walked into it there was actually a couple pretty much naked in the bed. The third attempt was fine.

• Executive Two-Bedroom Apartment - Premier

The apartment we were in was great except for the kitchen. The cooking facilities were very old and tardy.

We loved everything! The location was fantastic, close to all amenities. The grounds were amazing! We loved the water slides and the pool area. We will be going back every year.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Water temperature changes constantly in the shower. Didn’t enjoy going from warm to cold all the time.

Room was very clean and a good size. Staff are friendly and helpful and the location is excellent.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Shower pressure was a bit slow. But that is my only annoyance. Having long hair it took ages to wash. But everything was awesome.

The bed was awesome!!!!

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Wifi in room non existant, kitchen cookware could have a larger range and nowhere to heat food other than microwave

Aircon good fridge very good bed extra comfortable

• Two-Bedroom Apartment with Ocean View

The double units with a beautiful ocean view great for the bride and bridesmaids to get dressed and photographed the staff knew where the best nail salon was very helpful

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Pool lounge chairs should have comfortable padding and steps leading into pool need to be upgraded.

Location to everything was so near....beach, shopping, movies, restaurants, entertainment!

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Outdoor table too big for balcony - very difficult for 2 people to sit outside comfortably.

Great location and very nice modern gold coast style apartment.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Holding on to a security bond, after a guest leaves (5day) is unacceptable when there is no mini bar, and when new guests can enter within hours. No Hand towel present.

• One-Bedroom Apartment with Pool View - Premier

Sheets had stains.

Bed was comfortable, perfect size for two Location is filled with restaurants and bars Beach is across the road from the Plaza Heated pool is perfect if you just want to relax

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

King bed was two beds pushed together - both at different heights making for an uncomfortable sleep We were on a floor with residents which smelt very stale and strong Asian food Needed fresh air and a clean up. Didn’t have good feel to the corridor and surrounding rooms

Staff friendly and helpful Room modern

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Only downside would be parking is a fair walk to get to lifts if you have a lot of luggage with you.

Great location, quiet, good facilities. Easy to pull up and check in.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

The Office were helpful in storing my luggage when I arrived too early for check-in. They also gave me a pass so I could use the swimming pool while I waited.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Air con unit was ancient and made such a noise when you put it on that you couldn’t hear the tv over it never mind sleep! Luckily the weather had cooled down abit, would not have been very happy otherwise!

Clean and comfortable room

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Being on the street front and being woken early with the noise of the cleaning trucks

Staff at checkin were very friendly and prompt. Room was well set up and bed was very comfortable

• One-Bedroom Apartment with Ocean View

Asked to check in earlier and room only made available just before 2 pm, should have a few rooms available earlier for people who do require earlier check in.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Should have been told when checked out that my $75 would be refunded. I did not think about this until arrived back in NZ

Yes the bed was comfy. We arrived late morning flight from NZ. It was fantastic that we could get into our room before 2pm.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Was woken up at 4.am with a small tractor moving bins outside as my room was over Top The bin area .

The bed was so comfy and the resort was so Central to everything

• Two-Bedroom Apartment - Premier

ground floor apartment near the main street suffers from street noise and isn't very private

Location was great, size of the rooms were really good. Nice furniture and comfortable beds.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

The pool water quality was below expectations. Understandably it was being heavily used, but that is the norm and something that should be assumed when maintaining the facility or upgrading equipment. The swimming pool is the centre piece of the resort and excellent water quality and clarity is surely of prime importance. While it was not "bad", it was also not great.

The room was beautiful, the location brilliant and the grounds were pleasant and well maintained.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

The hallways are smelly, no aircon around the hotel except in the room, overpriced for what it really is.

Great location, been staying here for years with family and love the pool.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Long walking distance from the lifts to our room but trolleys were available to transport heavy baggage.

Pool area was very picturesque and spotless. The location was central to everything.

• Executive Two-Bedroom Apartment - Premier

The bed was very hard & uncomfortable - not conducive to restful sleep. No alternatives were available. I made a personal request at reception for a mattress switchover - The lovely lady at the counter let me know straight away that there were no mattress alternatives. I suggested the possibility of a mattress topper? This was pleasantly received & promised to be investigated whilst I was out for the day, but sadly no response was offered - by night three I slept on the couch as it was a more comfortable option.

Excellent location, great pool and spa area, plenty of seating/lounging facilities around the pool. The Beach is literally across the road! Easy stroll to shops, supermarket, surf club & restaurants.

• One-Bedroom Executive Apartment - Premier

Outdoor table & chairs overlooking pool were shabby. Tv in bedroom had to be turned off manually Black marks on walls that could have easily been cleaned off.

It just wasn't value for money. I wouldn't stay there again. Tv in bedroom had to be manually turned off & reception didn't seem to concerned about this.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment - Premier

Bath very awkward to get in and out of, maybe a handle would help

Calypso rooms are spacious, clean, this time the unit had just been refitted. Excellent location and pool

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Very very poor internet and the fact we gave Booking dot com our bank card and instead of using the debit facility on the card they used the credit card facility and we were charged for this so not very happy at all.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta

The bedrooms are small. The spare blanket and donna kept in the wardrobe limited its use. Equipment for 4 would be useful in kitchen, rather than 3 or 2 of glasses etc.

The first unit suited only a king bed, not twin as it was too small to access wardrobe and drawers. The front desk response was very good and a better situation was found the following day.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment - Premier

Kids thought the pool should have been deeper in more areas. Fridge in kitchen is way to small for a family especially when your there a week

Loved the bed. Forget to ask what brand it was lol. Just a great place all up.

Everything was really good

The air conditioning in our room was not very cool at all. We let reception know and they moved us to another room straight away. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were very clean. Lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance and the beach is a very short walk away. Great location.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

No room cleaning included We stayed for 6 nights and had the same linen and towels the whole time. Just doesn’t feel like a holiday without the room being cleaned and getting fresh linen every other day but that’s just me! Also there was a broom in the room which was great but it was old and rusted and when I went to use it the handle broke.

Great accomodation for families. So helpful having a kitchenette and washer/dryer with a baby. Pool is great for young kids, always some shade for the babies too.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

We are seniors, so, we were very disappointing the location of the apartment into the building (306) , too far away from the lifts and every time we go and back to the beach carrying our belongings it was very unpleasant Also,it was not any trolley on the arrival or leaving, and we have to carry everything in three trips, that was a nightmare, going all up from the car parking area to the 306,

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Rooms were not serviced daily. Car park was always full. We booked adjoining rooms and the rooms we were assigned were only on the same floor but at different ends.

Bed was very comfortable and location was good

• Executive Two-Bedroom Apartment - Premier

Would love if they had three three bed room apartments

We go every year , causee we don.t have to drive anywhere , the beaches are great for lil ones there are lots of play grounds bbq accross from the resort , and a great foot path for kods to skate scooter or ride and new years eve event if cater for everyone .

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Nothing at all

Perfect spot for families, beach straight across the road and pool is ideal for kids. Rooms were a great space and beds super comfy. We could park the car and walk to everywhere, very relaxing.

• One-Bedroom Executive Apartment - Premier

Wi fi alleged service very poor. 30 minutes free could have been ok, but I could not even get that. It usually did not load onto my iPad. Very noisy - 2nd floor room - from the street, even with doors closed.

Bed great, location great

• One-Bedroom Apartment with Pool View - Premier

Gorgeous room overlooking the ocean & only a few steps to the pool & garden. The pool & garden at Calypso is idyllic. This is our perfect getaway & we will be back as often as we can. Staff are great!

• Executive Two-Bedroom Apartment - Premier

Smoke detectors kept going off. When we notified staff they came straight to room (good) and removed battery (not so good).

Comfy beds. Great view. Excellent location. Friendly helpful staff.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

I booked the 25th with check out through you but then booked directly through them for the 24th. Upon check in on the 24th the access card to our room wouldn't work and the room itself was a shoe box. Then when they finally sorted that out it wouldn't lock so we got moved to another room which also didn't lock and my partner had to fix it otherwise we were going to be moved to yet another room. Not a good start considering this was my gift to my partner.

We liked the second room we got put into. It was bigger.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

The staff were really accommodating and moved us to a higher level so we could have an even nicer view. The apartment was spacious, clean, comfortable and even included a washer and dryer which you don't often get these days. The location was great, right accross from the beach and walking distance to anything that you may need.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment - Premier

Hotel is very run down and is in deserpate need of a revamp. Water damage in all the hallways, appliances in room very out of date. Everything looks very tired

Staff were friendly and the undercover parking is convinient

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

The cleanliness of the carpets outside the lift and moisturiser in the rooms.

The bed was so comfy and the location excellent, beautiful pool, the only let down was the restaurant and bar not being open, the hotel would make a fortune on happy hr by the pool!

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Shower in the bath is primitive and unsafe. Bathroom needs redesign and re-plumbed No shower pressure and cheap shower rose

Great Pool area and big room in good condition. Easy access to beach front but entrance on the other side away from hassle

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

The utensils were quite old and some fell apart while using. Not a big deal but you asked.

It was quiet. The bed was very comfy. The pool was lovely. The location was perfect.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

There was no bar or restaurant..n the sauna was never hot, whole place could do with a bit of a touch up.

The room she booked us into was beside the road so we asked for an upgrade which was not available, we got told the next day that there were a few rooms empty, I asked again & there was one overlooking the pool & beach which was way nicer. The lady with the long dark hair n glasses was really nice & helpful.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

Clean, quiet and well appointed. The bed, bedding & pillows were exceptionally comfortable. Pity it was such a short stay. Close to the airport, beach, shops and restaurants Would definitely return.

• One-Bedroom Apartment with Ocean View

The pillows were not comfortable and there was no doner cover which made me wonder about the cleanliness of the bedding? The hotel was very conveniently located and staff were friendly and helpful

• Two-Bedroom Apartment - Premier

The tap fell off in the shower- The shower wand was so deteriorated it was black & mouldy. No hand towels. No soap up stairs unit. No catches on window in bathroom. Dust in the wardrobe door tracks never been cleaned. Dusty under bed. Water leaked through ceiling beside bed. Wouldn’t use utensils because the draws smelt old. Unit was not cleaned after 1 week only the bed linen was changed. Large pillows were yellow & stained under pillow slip. Floors were dirty and sandy when arrived. Man hole in dining area was particularly hanging down.

Comfortable Bed. Clean Sheets.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta

The long walk from reception to our room

We liked the ground floor apartment as we could walk straight into the pool area and out of the front gate to the town centre

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

As it was a self staff apartment (small kitchen and laundry), I'd have to suggest they improve the utensil, pots and pans - all are tired and need to be replaced. The TV's stand was broken - screen tilted downwards - so a bit more attention to maintenance is required. It is showing its age in terms of style and decor so a renovation is something to consider

Location is very good ... one street up from the beach ... in fact, exiting through the rear of the facility outs you on the beach front effectively.

• One-Bedroom Apartment Coolangatta - Premier

sliding door to balcony hard to close and lock dropped down locking my partner outside on balcony in very poor conditions - very dangerous, lucky I was there. Mouldy shower tiles and glass, and broken tiles. Not all kitchen cupboards stayed closed. No servicing of the rooms, unless you had been there over 8 nights, or you could pay extra for servicing. We stayed for 4 nights, and only one roll of toilet paper. One sachet of both dishwasher powder and washing detergent. not advised that we would need to supply all consumables. One small tube of Shampoo and Conditioner only.

The bed and pillows were great.

Browse Oaks Calypso Plaza traveller photo gallery