Reviews of Oaks Metropole Hotel 4.5 stars

81 Palmer Street, 4810 Townsville, Australia

#41 of 75 hotels in Townsville

5.6

Advertising suggests it is 350 metres from downtown. 500- 700 metre is closer to the mark.
    • Mount Stuart Studio

One side of the bed in room 904B is in need of replacement. We reported it when leaving. If we had reported it earlier something might have been done. Anyway, check before next guests get it please.

Hello possums
    • Mount Stuart Studio

Location of the swimming pool is odd, right outside reception. Possum paw prints on car when parked on upper level!

Tidy, well maintained facility. Full size fridge, microwave and hotplates in kitchenette.

Overall very good. Our prebooking request for a room on level 1 was done for us before we arrived.
    • Studio

We did not get coffee and milk replenished and had to ask the reception.

Location was very good. Not too far from restaurants or the city centre. Great to have a good sized fridge and cooking facilities if needed.

A really nice place to stay, everyone is friendly

Finding the motel

Excellent accommodation the only problem was finding it, who would have thought the big M on the front of the building is a sign for the Oaks.

The accomodation was great but there were some management issues that impacted on our stay.
    • Studio - Bed and Breakfast

We booked in for 2 people but reception only had us booked in for 1 person. We paid for 2 breakfasts in our room cost but we weren’t allowed to have breakfast when we went to the dining room the next morning because of a bunch of young footballers booking the place out - this wasn’t explained to us at the time we checked in (very unprofessional). The female staff member we spoke to in the dining room was rude and abrupt when she told us we couldn’t have breakfast.

Clean, comfy and classy for the price.

Love the big comfy beds, will always stay here when we are in Townsville.

We could smell cigarette smoke in the room from smokers on another balcony.

The front office staff were excellent, so professional and accomodating. The girls arranged early check so we could prepare for a wedding.They even offered to take a group photo when we were all dressed in our finery.

Beautiful place to stay.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment - Dual Key

Way down the end of town. Can walk to most attractions but quiet a ways out of the way. Not much of a view of anything as it’s away from everything.

Beautiful place to stay. Clean and tidy, cool little bar out the front the perfect spot afternoon beers. Awesome sized rooms

Staff were great
    • City Scape Studio - Weekly Service

The drain in the vanity did not work and I had to open it with a knife from the kitchen, and re mote to the Air-conditioner did not work all the time was impossible to set temp. Have stayed here many times never experienced any issues before, so was a bit disappointing

It was a lovely stay i wish we were able to stay longer
    • Studio

One think that worried me only because i have small children is the gaps on the balcony railings. Only because when she went outside first thing she tries to do was sticking her legs through the gaps

I loved that the room had every thing you needed in it. Even tho i never used the washing machine or dishwasher as we didnt stay long enough but its good to know for when we do come back and stay longer.

Pretty good experience just need to maintain fittings
    • Studio

Shower hose didnt stay in place pretty sure it was broken and the balcony is very small

The kitchen in the room was great and the beds were pretty comfy

Property was clean and parking easy.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment - Dual Key

Property was clean and parking easy. Beds comfortable ... property connected to hotel which provided all meals and you can also Enjoy an evening drink

Good service, good food, good views!
    • Mount Stuart Studio

The sofa! In could condition and very smart, but not very comfortable being of the 'box' shape style which is so common in modern accommodation. OK to sit and sip a cuppa, but no good to relax and watch TV or a film.

Reception Staff very helpful , went out of their way to help with a problem and satisfactorily resolved it.Polite courteous and helpful bar and wait staff. The food was excellent.

Bed was comfortable staff were very friendly and helpful.
    • Studio

Restaurant furnishings didnt quite meet standard of the accommodation. But seemed clean and staff were great..food was excellent

Bed was comfortable staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good.

My husband left his clothes in wardrobe.
    • Studio

My husband left his clothes in wardrobe. As soon as we realised we emailed Oaks to see if they could send clothes back. We heard nothing. Thought they could of emailed back and say yes or no. Thankfully when we got home the clothes had been sent. Thank yiu

Bed was perfect, bathroom a little small but all round gorgeous room!
    • Studio

Someone reversed into my car in the car park and I am yet to hear anything about CCTV footage. Also that I asked for a city scape view and I ended up looking at a warehouse over the back - but that's only minor.

The bed was absolutely gorgeous, so comfortable!

Not up to Oaks normal standards
    • Studio

The ceilings were too low and the room felt really claustrophobic. After we had a shower the whole bathroom floor was wet and was extremely slippy. The area that the hotel was in felt dark and creepy, I wouldnt like to stay there on my own.

The bed was comfy and the lady that checked us out was really friendly.

Well located, spacious , great value for money
    • Studio

Free internet for only 30 minutes. Ideally it should be included in the cost and not an extra.

Spacious, light and airy . Friendly, helpful staff. Gym and small pool available.

Room was good but other things could have been fixed
    • Studio

Didn’t get rooms next to each other with our friend which is what I asked for. House keeping lady kept coming around way to early and waking us up. My key didn’t work most the time when using elevator

Bed was nice and comfy

Friendly, comfortable and super clean. Great place!
    • Studio

I would have liked free WiFi in our package. I also thought the pool wasn't private (maybe a screen).

Very Clean and friendly, we were very happy staying here. We had no issues at all.

Quite and very comfortable. Hidden away little gem :)
    • Mount Stuart Studio

Cannot think of anything. Very responsive to any request that I've made.

Overall a fantastic venue, location and staff. Very comfortable and will stay there again.

Nice hotel to stay at but beware there’s no free wifi.
    • Studio

We didn’t like the $18 charge for wifi connection. In this day and age even donut shops offer free wifi. This was disappointing and I’m sure we could find a similar hotel for less money and free wifi next time.

We had a nice room and the restaurant attached to the hotel was very good.

Comfortable, fast easy check-in. Restaurants within easy walking distance.
    • Studio

Only 30 mins free wifi, $5 per half hour after that, disappointing for a major hotel chain, fortunately not travelling on business. $75 credit card pre authorisation on arrival with advice refunded in 7-10 days.

Friendly helpful staff. Restaurants close by. Rooms a little on the small side but clean, comfortable bed.

Comfort and room facilities.
    • Studio

The pool was very uninviting. The location it was in was right next to reception. Door opening in the room as loud and annoying having to insert card 3 time to get into the actual room.

Comfort and room facilities.

Overall I throughly enjoyed my stay and definitely would return stay again.
    • Studio

I would have thought Oaks M would have offered unlimited wifi but in your defence staff did help me out. The phone in room never worked and I had to walk downstairs to reception for any questions I had. The other thing that could of been better was the smell outside my room was horrible it was very unpleasant.

The staff where really friendly and helpful. The rooms and facilities were great. Nice and quiet very relaxing.

Overnight stay.
    • Studio

Nothing. I was very impressed!

Very clean. Great bed and great pillows! Good position just down the road from the restaurant precinct on Palmer Street.

I booked a twin and ended up with a double bed.
    • Studio

I booked a twin and ended up with a double bed... i was travelling with my son... checked in at 2145 and finally had receptionist split beads at 2300... was very tired waiting

An opinion from a Aussie lad
    • Studio

Even though the scenery wasn’t requested. I didn’t get an ocean view. And all I was able to view were the rooms of the back packers that was located next door. Other then that, it was excellent.

Location was great, and for the time spent there it was definatley worth the price I paid for it. Plus my partner & I were allowed to swim at the better pool down the road at the “Oak’s on Palmer GateWay”, which over looks the very well known Flinders Street, and River/Ocean.

The room and the view we're exelant .
    • City Scape Studio

The car parks were a bit tight.

The room and the view we're exelant . We were a short walk to the restaurant precinct but not to close to be noisy. The staff were only to happy to help.

We had a great new year.
    • Mount Stuart Studio

got abit noisy new years eve with drunkards stumbling past and a few doing burnouts, police were streched thin. the staff of the bar out front did their best to keep them moving on.

facillities and parking were excellent. staff of the hotel and bar were friendly and helpful.

loved it here - super clean, friendly staff and amazing facilities and location.
    • Studio - Unserviced

the reception staff were new to the area so couldn’t suggest any places to go to (not their fault!) go to cactus jacks mexican its bloody good and excellent cocktails!

thanks for our upgrade! was a lovely, big, light and spacious studio room with excellent and very clean facilities

i have rebooked already to come back in March.
    • Studio

not clearly signed from street where it is.

i booked the oaks but got the wrong hotel as there are 2 on palmer st. I guess karma wanted me to have quiet and a nicer hotel because the one I stayed in was ideal. I had a hire car so it was easy to get around. Don't go out walking etc during middle of day as it's too hot and humid. My only regret was I never got to use the pool.

Modern, comfortable place to stay.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment - Dual Key - Bed and Breakfast

We paid extra to have breakfast, we told to order off menu, that was fine, eggs, bacon, hash browns, sausages was pre- cooked, it was cold & dry, even the toast was soggy & cold, very disappointing!!!! as we were hungry!😮

Modern, clean, comfortable, quiet & great view. Easy check in.

The Motel next door had a great cook with friendly bar tender. I loved the prawns dish.
    • Studio - Bed and Breakfast

The reception was too quick and formal with little friendliness. I thought the foyer and getting out of the elevator could have used some soft background music.

The room and everything in it was exactly what I needed for my short stay. Overall - immaculate. I loved the big comfy bed.

Staff were really friendly & helpful.
    • Studio

Only 30 minutes a day of complimentary Wi-fi was very disappointing and inconvenient for an overseas traveller.

Staff were really friendly & helpful.

Very enjoyable stay, would stay again.
    • Studio

aircon was noisy. pool too close to reception, needs some makeover to make it more inviting and appealing. Some plants and screen from reception would be a good idea. They need to remove the big Rubbish Bin from the entry, it was difficult to drive around.

Big bed, nice bedding. Very modern and clean lines with nice ambience and good colours, bright and airy. Room good size, lots of appliances for long term stay. verandah with nice view. Good location. Close to good restaurants.

No further comment!
    • Studio

Following Late Arrival, no outside lighting, very difficult to see night watch call buzzer. No signage! Finally there are 2 x "Oaks" on Palmer Street about 800m apart, not good when guests are unaware of this and discover this only when the taxi takes you to the wrong one at 1130 pm and both the Oaks and the Oaks M staff tell you "yes unfortunately this happens all the time!"

Friendly staff, good room and clean

Nice view but thats about it.
    • Mount Stuart Studio

Pretty much everything else but the view. If it was extremely cheap I might stay again but i will definitely look elsewhere first.

The view and parking

Room did smell a little, really needed airing out to rid it...
    • Mount Stuart Studio

Room did smell a little, really needed airing out to rid it of that dampish smell & the iron needed replacing as the Teflon coating was abrasive. 2 small very fixable things.

Rooms were very clean and was close to wedding venue we had...
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment - Dual Key

Wasn't what I booked, apartment I booked had ocean views which cost us extra. But when we checked in this wasn't the case and they wouldn't change the room to ocean view unless we paid extra again. Was quiet disappointing. But otherwise lovely place to stay

Rooms were very clean and was close to wedding venue we had to go to.

Initially the "water view" from our balcony was...
    • Studio

Initially the "water view" from our balcony was straight at the back of the pub (2nd floor room). We complained and upgraded with additional cost to a room on the 9th floor which was lovely. The pool was very disappointing. No lights at night time (even though the pool is open until 8pm). And no sun lounges and is in the middle of the building so receives hardly any sunlight. We were able to use the pool at the other Oaks but my Mum has trouble walking so it was too far for us to go daily. We only went there once. Also the location is not very convenient, about 2kms from The Strand and whilst it is in Palmer St it's at the far end of the street

The staff put us in a dark closed in room wit no view, I...
    • Studio

The staff put us in a dark closed in room wit no view, I rang immediately and asked for a room wit a view and wit no hesitation the office girl changed our room and it was no problem. We ended up on the 4th floor wit a view.. thank you staff! 😊

10 out of 10
    • Studio

Everything.... clean,comfy beds ,friendly staff its always the place i stay when in townsville stayed there multiple times great value for money with everything you need.

The beds were super comfy and the rooms were very clean!
    • City Scape Studio

No baths in the room which made it hard to wash the baby. Wasn't a family friendly room.

The beds were super comfy and the rooms were very clean! The staff were nice and easy to deal with

Didn't like the hotel and will not stay there again
    • Studio

This hotel lacked the facilities expected in one of its rating. There was no bottled water available in the room or the hotel -The dining room is the "Pub" which is in a different building. None of the usual facilities (e.g. shower cap, sanitary bag etc) were available in the room. The air conditioner did not work properly. They took a security deposit of $75 on my credit card which has still not been refunded 5 days later. It is a 10 minute walk to other dining facilities on Palmer Street - not great for a female traveling alone for business. It was expense for the standard of comfort and facilities offered.

Great Location at the quiet end of Palmer Street

Average. Really wanted to lounge around a pool & have a cocktail. I'm on holidays for goodness sake.
    • Studio

I picked Oaks M for the fact it had a pool. Boy was I disappointed. The pool is right next to the reception and enclosed by high brick walls. It receives no direct sunlight. May as well have stayed at the in-laws & saved ourselves the $$.

Room was nice with a balcony.

The booking.
    • Studio

The booking.com prices were over the top. Friends booked within a week of us staying directly to the Motel and got a much better room than I for half the price I paid - some days were in fact double the price. I would certainly not go through booking.com again. As a result I wouldn't recommend it either.

Ok, but not great
    • Studio

We booked a room with 2 beds as myself and colleague were there for work. We ended up with one bed and they couldn't change it. There was also a window in the bathroom (with a blind) but this was very uncomfortable.

Location was great.

Great place, very neat, tidy and clean. Service was good. Have stayed many times.
    • Studio

Th explanation of the money held on the credit card- I was under the understanding as soon as we check out it's put back onto the card.. however when ringing about it was told could take up to 5 working days.

Bed was comfy but 4 pillows would of been better.
    • Studio

Carpet in front of bathroom sopping wet!! And not caused by no shower screens in bathroom. Think u have a major water leak problem. Did notifying front desk about this. Lightning in bathroom no good for the girls to do there makeup.

Bed was comfy but 4 pillows would of been better.

Overnight stay only to visit relation, not enough time to use facilities
    • Studio

Room on level one had no view looked into a concrete wall, would have appreciated a view of Townsville. Signage on building not easy to recognise, a large M with very small oaks not easily seen from road, not helped by roadworks on eastern entrance

comfortable bed & room with easy access

Quiet, comfy bed, shower and good value
    • Studio

To be really nit picking, just a new remote for the dvd player.

I loved the parking, king size bed, the size of the room, cleanliness, just everything really.

The room looked beautiful.
    • City Scape Studio - Bed and Breakfast

The air-conditioner either wasn't working or was so weak that I slept on the floor in front of it just to get a bit of air. (This is why I can't rate if the bed was good or not.) My night was spent very uncomfortable with little or no sleep. ps. not having any salt or pepper in the room was a bit of a bummer also .

The room looked beautiful.

Waste of money
    • Studio

The fact that I had to pay a security deposit and the room prior to staying. The noisy neighbours and no real privacy. Walls are not sound proof and the heavy doors slam. Not good when your neighbours are in and out all the time. I would like a refund. No.sleep at all and we had to travel the next day! Appalling

Good area

Comfy bed, DVD player, great air conditioner, dish washer,...
    • Studio

Our View was the car park, water pressure was a bit weak in shower, pool in odd location, car parks were tight

Comfy bed, DVD player, great air conditioner, dish washer, big fridge, comfy lounge, balcony, close parking

Decent short stay studio with mediocre view
    • Studio

The location is a little out the way from where it's happening on Palmer street and we were put on the second floor with views of the noisy neighboring air con vent- no sea view whatsoever. Make sure to ask for a higher floor.

Great room layout that had everything needed for a short stay.

Excellent Hotel - Consider their Internet Access if you are a Business Client.
    • Studio

Limited to no internet access provided - only 30 mins uninterrupted within a 24hr period, then you have to pay more. Not great for a business client like me.

The hotel was excellent, I cannot fault it. The only disappointment I experienced was not knowing there was only a 30 minute internet policy within a 24hr period. This, given I was travelling for business was a big deal breaker for me staying here again. Only for this reason I would not be booking here again, otherwise everything else was excellent. Most, if not all other hotels I stay in on business have no restrictions on internet access which is a big bonus for business travellers. Having to pay more for internet access at reasonably high rates was the deal breaker. If you don't need internet then I would highly recommend this hotel.

Modern, clean, with waterfront views
    • Studio

A little hard to find, no real street frontage, so look up and you'll see the big M, then take the driveway up into the property off Palmer Street, very last driveway behind the Metropole. They need some signage out the front. I noticed some stains on the curtain opening to the balcony. I let the front desk know, and they noted it.

Nice view, I'd asked for a water view when booking and they obliged, overlooking the river and out to sea and the islands. Nice and clean, I was impressed with the little kitchen including stove top and dishwasher, and washer and dryer, just in a studio room. Also close to restaurant and the Metropole Hotel served a great dinner at a reasonable price. Even got to use my youi rewards.

Perfect for a short get-away!
    • City Scape Studio

The studio room was a little pokey with not much room to spare, but sufficient for a short stay, and with all the facilities you need.

The view from the city scape studio balcony was beautiful! especially at dawn:) From the ferries and yachts on Ross River, and an array of rainbow lights reflecting on the water, to the city scape and further afield to Magnetic Island. The facilities were clean and as new with everything you might need available in the room, and the decor was very nice. It was great that the Metropole Hotel catered for all of the meals, and it was only a very short walk from the reception area and into the back entrance of the hotel, which is situated right in front of the Oaks. The big M breakfast was great, as was the evening meal - all served with a smile, and the facility was nice and clean.

We'll be back!
    • Studio

Would have been to get more clarification about location as there are two Oaks on palmer St and we went to the wrong one first.

Staff were lovely. Our neighbor was smoking (non smoking floor) late at night and upon telling reception they attended to the matter immediately. Room was very clean, had all new amenities and just perfect. We travelled with a baby and the studio was ample in size to comfortably fit a portacot. Will definitely stay here again :)

A good hotel and a nice stay
    • Studio

Because South Townsville and Townsville CBD is separated by a bridge, its a bit of a walk getting into town. We decided to get some groceries and lugging them approx 2km back to the hotel from woolies in town was tough going! Next time we'd get a taxi, or, not bother with groceries...plenty of good restaurants really close by! We didn't like the set up of the bathroom much...the light switch is at the front door rather than inside the actual bathroom, and the large clear glass window between bathroom and sleeping area (you can pull a blind down on the window if you want) seemed unnecessary or simply could have been done better.

We stayed one night. Pleasant and professional welcome at front desk and when we asked for (and got) a late checkout and if we could leave our bags at front desk for a couple of hours, nothing seemed like too much trouble for the gentleman who checked us in. The room has kitchenette, washing machine and dryer...we thought it well kitted out for the size and price. Nice view. Quiet area of town. And, the bed felt quite firm and we didn't think it'd be all that comfortable but it was actually a really comfy bed and we slept really well.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

Poor customer service
    • Studio

It concerns me that I book into a hotel room, only to find out I am staying 500 meters down the street at the "sister" hotel with no disclaimer on the website. It is absolutely disgusting, the staff did not seem to care that I had to walk down the street in 30 degree weather with ridiculous humidity with 25kg of luggage. Absolutely crazy - I would not recommend the Oaks to any other customers based on my experience, I wanted to stay in a particular area only to find out that I cannot.

Oaks M on Palmer
    • Studio - Unserviced

False advertising about breakfast times. It was advertised as open at 6 am but then got told by staff it was 7.30 am. We went to restaurant at 7.30 and it was not opened. ComplainedBout the sign on reception advertised as 6 but staff did. Nothing about it. Also had dramas with some of the taxi drivers over charging and taking. Us to wrong place.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

Great attentive service with clean, modern facilities
    • Studio

Staff very obliging. A couple of small glitches were resolved quickly with the utmost professionalism. Our enquiry as to a room with a view was met and we were given an excellent room on a higher floor at no extra cost. The service was such that we extended our stay for another four nights.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

Staff friendly, restaurants close, breakfast at next door...
    • Studio

Face washers not replaced on second day, small amount of paper rubbish under bed (discovered as checking for any dropped items when packing up on last day).

Staff friendly, restaurants close, breakfast at next door hotel fantastic (also handy as you could charge this back to your account).

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Enjoyed the stay. Will be back.
    • Studio

The back of the bathroom door needed to be cleaned. A few more tea , coffee and milk would have been appreciated. When we stayed it was raining and we could only park up top. A cover over the steps to get down from the top car park to the office would be an advantage.

The setup of the room was good with all of the facilities available. The bed was comfortable. The location suited us. It was good value when compared to other places we were looking at. We will be looking to stay here again if the price is right.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

The bed was very comfy!

Our room wasn't ready when we arrived at 3.30pm even though check in is listed as 2pm. The lady that served us at reception couldn't give us an expected time either which was very disappointing.. especially given it was New Years eve and we had made plans.

The bed was very comfy!

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Unclean bathroom
    • Studio

Toilet had not been cleaned!!!!!! And I mean not cleaned. When I told housekeeper & office staff they did not express any apology

Good central location

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Not good enough
    • Studio

We were given what appeared to be an accessible room which we didn't ask for therefore water everywhere and slippery tiles in the bathroom. I booked single beds and got a double. The was no light over the mirror in bathroom. We went 3 days without the room serviced. Not acceptable reason that it was public holidays. Have to ask for more towels, more toilet paper, the bins were full and not emptied, tea bags, dishwasher detergent etc not toped up. A disappointing stay.

The property and rooms were very clean and everything was in...
    • City Scape Studio

The property and rooms were very clean and everything was in top condition, staff were very friendly. Definitely will go back again, it's an amazing hotel

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

Never again
    • Studio

Designated car spots, a view (which we were told we would have)

Not a lot! No car parking available and basically told 'oh well' so had to park in the back street. Lounge in front of the door to the balcony and was told it was ocean side - that's fine if I wanted to look at brick walls from the pub and aircon units on a roof! My room card wasn't programmed correctly so 'after parking in the dodgy back street I had to walk thru the backpacker place to be able to get in. Never will I stay here again!

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

Nice but wouldnt choose it again. Close to restaurants.
    • Studio

Being put into a room overlooking a pub below without a view and on arrival of the 2nd floor a stench in the foyer. However after going back down to reception they changed our room to a much more suitable one.

The staff were excellent and friendly.

• Reviewed: 23 December 2016

Good location, friendly staff
    • Studio

Air conditioning is undersized for the room and struggled to keep the room cool and rattled. Shower had brown diet marks in the grout and black mould growing in the corners.

Good location, friendly staff

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

Better signage to identify the driveway.
    • Studio

You need to identify the driveway a lot better. I drove past it four times before i saw the little sign on the foot path.

The bed was super comfy. Love the hogh thread count sheets.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

Excellent view,
    • Studio

Room was not ready, asked for twin room travelled with a work friend. The room was very tired carpet had holes. The balcony was very dusty had to wipe the table and chairs before we sat on them.

Location was great, security very good.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

The roof of the pub in front of the motel was directly...
    • Studio

The roof of the pub in front of the motel was directly adjacent to our balcony so you couldn't sit out there without hearing the whir of their ac and all you could see was a green roof which was within touching distance. A couple of floors higher and would have been a great stay.