Reviews of Oaks on Castlereagh, Sydney Central 4.5 stars

317 Castlereagh Street, Sydney CBD, 2000 Sydney, Australia

#91 of 250 Holiday rentals in Sydney

• One-Bedroom Apartment - City View

Only 2 lifts to service 20 plus floors so during busy periods you had to wait. The room was sparse of furniture other than the basics and the heating system didn't work so at times we were cold in the room. Also the hot water on the shower was extremely temperamental and either scolded you or was freezing. The water flow was only more than a trickle. For the price paid we were very disappointed with the room and looked nothing like the photos.

The room was spacious and the bed was comfy. All appliances and furniture was in good condition and the view from the window was interesting. Also hotel was only a 10 minute walk from central station which was handy when travelling using airport link.

• Studio Apartment

The room was not sound proof enough , at 11.00pm we could the party going on in another room , the balconey door was also not sound proof enough for the street, wasn't awful , but you could hear it and the trains.

Room was nice and clean and it served our purpose.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

The reception staff were completely devoid of any customer service skills. There were four guests at waiting to enter at the locked lobby door, three staff in reception with no guests all of whom ignored the guests waiting to enter.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

The apartment is unsafe, a unit on the 21st floor should have secure screens ondoors and windows... The outside table is so dangerous a child could climb up and fall over very easily... The window in the bed opens all the way ... I WOULD NEVER STAY ON THAT LEVEL AGAIN

The bed

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

I was really disappointed with my initial room. 2 b/r and on a floor so low it didn’t require a lift to any of the 28 floors. I took some small stairs behind the lobby reception. The man who originally checked me in didn’t offer to help me with my bags. The foxtel didn’t work. The balcony was more of a sunroom. The lobby is full of people who live in the complex and it didn’t have a hotel feel to it.

Location is the best thing about this hotel. If it wasn’t for Olga the receptionist who organized me a more comfortable room after I was upset with what I had gotten. I would have dealt with the 100% cancellation fee and stayed elsewhere. Olga deserves a congratulations from the management team. The apartments were clean and the view from the balcony on a top level was beautiful. The spa was a good facility.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment - Dual Key

We stayed at Two bedrooms dual keys apartment. Excellent location in cbd with lots of foods and amenities nearby and spacious room for our family with the twin babies . The staffs are Helpful and given a clean and tidy room . Car park from Hotel was easy to access with separate charges and conveniently located. . Public car parks are nearby with easy access too . Thai town is just downstairs with lots of Thai and Asian foods . Town hall shopping complex was 2-3 blocks away when we walked . Central station is 5 mins away in walking . China town is around the corner and lots of buses running on George street to go to circular quay and opera house. Our room has own kitchen and laundry, so it’s very convenient to prepare foods for babies as well. The balcony view from our room was superb although it is very windy as it was located on higher floor. Living area was very spacious in dual key apartment and it’s helpful for family like us with toddlers who wanted to run around . Hotel staffs immediately arrived and replaced with the new kitchen knife when we requested even at 9 pm at night. Very helpful and professional . Not a lot of waiting time upon checking in and cot was provided quickly upon request on arrival . It was our very first trip with the 11 months old twins and we found it really convenient staying here. Overall, it’s a pleasant place to stay in city and family friendly environment for the trip.

losing $200

Your website took $200 extra from the advertised price. When I clicked to pay it showed $607 and it seems charges me $807 . I will not be back and will be telling as many people as I can not to trust your website booking.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

The bed was king size and very comfortable,shower was great, bath needs replacing.We did not need to use it! no problem to us. Clean hotel.Reception were so friendly also maintenance. Enjoyed our stay.

• Studio

Light in alcove between units not working. 1 of the 2 keys presented would not unlock the door. No power point for kettle/jug unless unplugging an already in use P/P. The kettle cord to short to reach power point in bathroom with kettle sitting on wash basin.

the staff were very helpful and welcoming.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Rude staff loud noise you couldn't sleep it was dirty. Definitely a 3 star hotel not four. Unprofessional staff. I will never stay there again. Photos are misleading.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

This would have to be the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. The room was grotty, shabby and so loud I felt I was out on the street. The aircon was noisy and the bathroom had signs of mold in the shower. We had three nights booked but had to leave after getting no sleep on our first night. You also have to pay for wifi, $18 a day which is insane.

The only thing I liked about this was the refund they gave us for the two nights we couldn't stay here.

• Studio

The parking station is poorly signed as the configuration of the allotted parking bays is not in order. There is minimal room for error in missing the allotted parking space, requiring a tight 3 point turn.

The location is fabulous - easy access to all the activities we planned. Fantastic cafe next door for breakfast, excellent value for money Asian restaurants in easy walking distance.

• Studio

I made a non-refundable booking for this hotel for the wrong weekend - but after receiving my explanation, the hotel management agreed to refund all but the first night anyway - much appreciated! (The first night had already passed when I realized my mistake - so fair enough). We book this hotel for access to the city center, Darling Harbor, Circular Key

• Studio

While most amenities are there and it's good to have a kitchen, what is very needed is a table and chairs to eat at. There is room beneath the kitchen bench for a small fold up table and fold up chairs. Also the air conditioning is very noisy, as are the trains at Central Station but there's not much that can be done about that.

The studio apartment was very clean, comfortable and a good size, the small kitchen was very handy.

• One-Bedroom Apartment - City View

The artwork in the apartments is about the only thing I have to complain about in regards to this property. It is ugly, outdated and straight from 1970. An upgrade of the artwork would do wonders guys

Oaks on Castleraegh is one of my all time favourite places to stay in Sydney. It is at the top of the list of no fuss accomodation and the staff are professional, efficient and lovely. They greet me with a smile each and every time I stay there, process my check in and check out efficiently, as they do with each request I may have during my stay and they know when to pull back and allow me to go about my business without creating an uncomfortable or over top, customer service experience as other hotels often do. The apartments are roomy, private, sound proof, modern and feature all the necessary comforts one would expect to find in an inner cuty apartment. Location is convenient and most of what Sydney city has to offer is only a short walk away. If your after quality, clean, comfort, convenience, affordability and efficiency of staff Then look no further because oaks on Castleraegh is definitately the way to go.

• Studio - City View

The receptionist is extremely efficient, friendly and helpful. The room had everything I needed, plus more actually. Everything was in good working order. It was a self catered unit, with oven, microwave etc. I felt safe. The bed was comfortable, I had a good night sleep. Plenty of power sockets. Close to amenities to pick up supplies.

• Studio

Since I was there for 2 days to do shopping and explore, the place was ideal for following reasons: (1) Location - easy walk to Central Station and around to major streets. (2) Rooms - are decent and comfortable bed with safety box. (3) Staff - I had minimal interaction but they were quite friendly and very happy to assist with any inquiries I had. I thought it was a reasonable price considering the location and condition of the room. Many thanks guys!

• Studio - City View

We booked a studio at Oaks on Castlereagh from Saturday 3rd March til Wednesday 7th March 2018. We paid AUD $987.70 ($246.93 per night). We have a few complaints to make regarding the room: We understand hotel room prices change all the time due to various factors and depending on booking rates etc. However the price advertised changed to around $112/night shortly after our booking was made, over 50% cheaper which is not an insignificant amount. We feel that we somewhat got tricked into paying a higher amount on the spot. Nevertheless, because the booking was non-cancellable/non-refundable (given the 'low price' - as policy states on the website), we couldn't do anything about it. Once we arrived in Sydney and to Oaks on Castlereagh, we were extremely disappointed to find that the $246/night spent was not worth what we were getting for a 4.5 star studio as advertised on the website. For instance:- 1. The room did not look like what was on the pictures 2. The hot water system had issues whereby the water is always either too hot or too cold with no balance in between. Over time, the water also gets colder and requires constant adjustment. 3. No slippers provided - carpet felt dirty when walking barefoot 4. Bathroom tiles and carpet floors were not vacuumed daily (until we asked reception about it). 5. Air-conditioning unit made a lot of noise. We chose to turn it off completely. 6. No blanket covers - the blanket is just placed in between two flat sheets. 7. No bath gel provided (only soap). Whilst a lot of these things might seem small, we believe that they're the little extras which make up the quality of a hotel/apartment and its price. We don't mean to be rude but it is hard to believe that this hotel apartment is only half a star away from a 5 star rating. We passed on those complaints to reception on the 3rd day.

• Studio

Staff were a little cold at times but were dealing with some frustrating situations before serving us.

Had just what we needed in the room and was quite close to the train station

• Studio

Night staff weren’t as friendly as the day. Cleanliness of the bathroom could be better and we weren’t aware there was no balcony

The bed and the pillows were the best

• Studio

The aircon definitely needs to be looked at. It was very noisy on startup and we thought it was going to be noisy all night so we asked for a room change. Staff was very helpful and offered a room upgrade. We had a look but thought the room was too big so we declined the offer and thought that we would just bear it as it was only for one night. We left the aircon on and went to dinner and upon return it was still noisy. We got ready for bed and unbelievably just as we were lying in bed the noise disappeared. So the good news is that we got a good night sleep. Please have the aircon looked at and by the way it was also noisy in the offered alternative room.

• Studio

The hotel is in need of renovation, actual hotel reception and room looked a lot older than those in the pictures. Shower water pressure could not be maintained (constantly altering between hot and cold). Air conditioning unit needs some thorough cleaning (also makes a huge noise if you turn it on). The studio room we had, kettle and toasters are in your wardrobe, and a small kitchen was in another cupboard. Neither had plugs so you would need to move the kettle or toaster to the desk area and find the extension board behind the TV.

Location is great, room is spacious at the heart of Sydney. Minimal noise from the street and neighbours. Bed is big and comfortable.. Staff is polite. Fridge was cold enough.

• Studio

something minor, no power point in kitchenette area to boil kettle

I liked the location, 2 minute walk to train station which enabled us to travel anywhere, not far from city central and darling harbour. plus the studio apartment was clean, always a bonus

• Studio

The staff were not helpful the internet did not work and the staff did not provide assistance to help get free wifi functioning very disappointed Also rude to my guest

It had the basics and a safe etc,

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Expensive for what it was. In addition I had organised through booking.com for a late check-out and this was confirmed however the Oaks had no record of it and I was asked to prove it. Not sure which side the glitch fell with.

Great location and good sized clean room

• Studio

2 occasions we found a cockroach in our bathroom at night. Hotel is located behind a railway track. The rooms on the lower floors (where we were initially placed) really shouldnt be rooms at all, it is just that noisy. Its impossible to sleep, it actually feels like youre sleeping on the street its that loud. We asked to move and were given a higher room. The higher room still had noise but much less. Pool and gym facilities look worn and dirty - so much so I didnt even use them. One big annoyance was the wifi. I have stayed in hostels in Sydney for considerably less and they have still given free wifi. You are allowed 30 minutes every 24 hours otherwise you have to pay. Room keys clearly state hotel name, your floor and your room number. This is so dangerous and not very up to date with other hotels (even hostels for that matter). If id of lost my room key a thief could have tracked my room down immediately. The hotel name is sufficient in returning a lost key: not the room number as well. Lift is the slowest ive ever seen.

Brilliant location. Basic sky package on the TV so could watch more channels than we expected.

• Studio

Some cheap finishings, like a really thin plastic toilet seat.

Great location. Close to Central station, the CBD and Oxford Street. It's a good pool and hot-tub, and the rooms are spacious.

No breakfast

Location! Location! Location! Easy to find food as there are a lot of restaurants nearby. Studio Room is spacious. Accessible to travel anywhere within Sydney CBD

• Studio

Car parking was a little strange. We had to pull up in Campbell street and go into reception and get a key then drive around the block and go into the carpark. Then we couldnt find our nominated car park. It was abit of a maze.

Huge room. Very Clean and well appointed. Was close to Capitol Theatre and bars and restaurants.. Nice pool and spa area too.

• Studio

The entrance was dirty as were the corridors and windows. There was one chair in the pool area so we had to put our clothes on the floor, which was dirty!

The bed was comfortable and clean.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

I've had stayed at Oaks Apartment hotels for years and honestly I cannot fault them except when there are 2 people, 2 swipe cards should be given not just one.

I love the location and much prefer an apartment hotel over a standard hotel. This place has everything you need and more.

• Studio - Unserviced

Access to car park is a little stressful as you have to race into the hotel first to get the control to open the gates! It would be a lot better if they had a button there that you could press to get off the street!

Close to everything

• Studio

This was an older property, smaller than expected and overpriced in my opinion ($300 per night). Air con in the room was very noisy and I couldn’t get the microwave to work.

Staff were good and location also good for easy access to china town and darling harbour.

• Studio - Unserviced

Management of problems were poor (system shutdown causing elevators not to work, lobby was filled with guests and a substitute optional was not provided for guests trying to get to rooms, the only decent thinker there was the cleaner, the 3 security men were not resourceful) We received no room service, even though we paid for the service and put the clean our room door hanger on our room door.

Comfy bedding

• Three-Bedroom Apartment

The shower head in one of the bathrooms was broken. You had to hold it up when showering which was annoying

How big the room was! Was very surprised when we walked in! Great stay

• Studio

Hotel hallways felt more like a hostel. Maintenance late at night caused fire alarm to go off waking up the whole hotel.

Comfortable bed, reasonable size room.

• One-Bedroom Apartment - City View

Carpark very difficult to manage with a big car

Location is fantastic. Staff are so friendly and helpful. The rooms are so clean and there is everything you need. I received an upgrade which is always a great surprise and much appreciated. I always try to stay at this accommodation as I like it so much.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Carrying luggage upstairs to our room in level 2. Could hear neighbours in their apartment at night from our bedroom.

Great location. Spacious rooms with all amenities.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

We stayed on the 3rd floor unit it self was okay but could hear the neighbours above banging and yelling and street noise couldn’t sleep. I asked to be moved which they Done we went to the 28floor the unit again good but had a bad smell throughout not sure if that had anything to do with the garbage shout beside the unit but made it very unpleasant not sure if I will book again I have stayed there 3 other times but just wasn’t happy this time round it has put me off.

The rooms are always presented well.

• Studio - Unserviced

Just a tiny issue in that the communal access door was noisy and sensor light constantly went off.

Bed really comfy and the room was well kitted out. Very close to Central Station which was the main requirement for my stay. It's not the best part of this street in Sydney but is close to everything including shops and restaurants.

• Studio - Unserviced

There were no pool towels. There are only 6 sugar sachets for 2 days worth of tea and coffee for two people.

A small kitchenette in the room was great for our breakfast

• Studio - Unserviced

Rooms need an upgrade the hotel is pretty old & dated, windows are medium sized & I had to walk through two doors to get to our room 605 & 605B

Great location. No more then 10 min walk to restaurants, darling harbour & central station.

• Three-Bedroom Apartment

Nothing to dislike.

Clean, comfortable, great location for eating, bars, shopping and the trains (Museum Station), which we needed to get the ferry to Manly Beach. The pool was ideal to enjoy & relax between outdoor activities.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Car park dark and smelly.

Everything was great except the parking area which was very dirty with old furniture and rubbish laying around. Would be helpful when leaving car park that staff could buzz you out instead of having to park and run key back.

• Studio - Unserviced

My welcome. Left me at the front door outside near midnight while they were I the phone and could clearly see me with no acknowledgement

I wouldn’t stay here again. The place is nice but staff and aircon issues were an issue

• Studio

Very comfortable & quiet. Great Bed and Great Location! Close to Central Station. More than happy with price. Easy to get to all the main tourist attractions.

General feel of grubbiness

Staff were helpful on arrival. The two ladies at reception were friendly and informative. On departure the gentleman at reception was friendly but not as informative. Failed to give us adequate instructions when leaving the car park.

• Studio

Wifi is only free 30 min a day, if you need more you have to pay, it should be included taking into account the cost of the room. There is not any table on the room to have breakfast or lunch, if a kitchen is included, there should be a place to properly eat

Great location and comfortable bed

Curtains need to be wider to completely cover window o keep sun out.

Able to store luggage for few days was an added bonus. We had one apartment plus another room. The apartment was marvellous for us to gather together.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

we had a beautiful unit, had everything we needed for our stay, very clean and the staff were very helpful. Plenty of places to eat within walking distance and only a short walk to Darling Harbour.

• One-Bedroom Apartment - City View

It was only when i was leaving that i mentioned to Reception that there was no recycling bin and she said to leave it out for housekeeping who would take it down to the basement bin; maybe have a note in the apartments and/or in the bin room ! Thanks

the location was excellent as i was in Sydney to visit Glebe, and the bus and light rail stops were very close; as was station for trips to Central Coast and Canberra. The pool was great too with the jacuzzi which helped heal my shoulder !

• Studio

No room service facilities however it did have cooking facilities. Parking to get the parking zapper was difficult.

Super comfortable bed good size room. Close to shops and theatre.

• Studio

There was only basic tea bags and coffee sachets provided. Most hotels include a decaf coffee &/or peppermint tea.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was a good size for an overnight stay. We were able to cloak our bags for a few hours after checking out which was very handy.

• Studio

No breakfast 🙁 and nobody informed me you had to use room key to select floor in lift! It took another guest to inform after battling with the lift for 10 minutes.

Bed was comfy room was clean. Tea facilities in room which was nice.

• Studio

No breakfast or any kind of restaurant Room rate was horrendous at over $500 Australian for a small room Very noisy all night with some kind of aircon or other noise on ceiling; noisy buses in “tunnel” formed by tall building opposite. Not so mobile people will find it hard getting from taxi outside door, across barrier of cycle lane, to reach the entrance. Some of the staff did not speak English well and were hard to understand. I could write more but sufficient to say that close to $3000 for 5 nights was daylight robbery when other hotels lowered their rates after New Uear and gave customers variable rates. Booking.com must take some of the responsibility for this. My advice is - book directly with properties so you can negotiate. My wife and I are now in Perth and will be in Bali soon but no more 3rd party reservations.

Just the location and cleanliness

• Studio

Hotel was very flexible with check-in times and let us to check-in a few hours earlier which was really appreciated after a long night flight. It was clean hotel with everything what is needed for a weekend trip. Location is great with access to all tourist places by walk or public transportation.

• Studio - City View

Why they are so stingy with the wifi? Only 30 minutes free wifi per day. Compare to other hotels in our trip give us free wifi. And her it's a continues one. So once you use, it will finished by 30 minutes. Wifi in one of the room is not accessible. Tried to ask to the reception why, no help. They said its been used, while we never use it. On the first day, we thought that our room is not cleaned, but we saw some sign that it has been cleaned. Only not the right way. Second day, we are in the room when the cleaner lady do the cleaning, and we see why. She just put the sheet without trying to make it neat. We even have to ask her to vacuum. She did it in a very casual manner. only 5-6 pass in a very small area, and thats it!

Location is quite convenient with restaurants (Thai, Chinese, Pubs) and convenience stores close by. Only a short walk to Chinatown and Central Station. They allow us to leave our luggage for 5 days when we travel to Brisbane. That's helped us a lot.

• Studio - City View

The shower was the only negative experience for me, it was difficult to get the temperature and pressure right because it would constantly fluctuate. We were on a high floor which may have had something to do with that though.

The staff were wonderful, everything was easy and always service with a smile. I arrived about 5 hours too early for check in, hoping to just drop my bags off, but the room was already prepared! Fantastic news after a red eye flight as it meant I was able to have a nap before starting my day. Then on the day of departure we were able to check out an hour later free of charge.

• One-Bedroom Apartment - City View

the friendly staff at the reception, the large flat and the balcony, all the facilities, the cleaness, the bed very comfortable, we had a wonderful stay

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Lifts were being used by staff and the Fire Escape stairways were locked. This could be a huge problem if there was a fire. It was really too far from Darling harbour.

Excellent accommodation. Roomy and Comfortable bed. Staff were excellent and very helpful

• Studio

Air con noisy. Close to train tracks (Central Station). (But pre-warned by hotel, thank you, reminded me to pack the ear plugs).

Close to Chinatown. Good pool (for laps).

• Studio

The hotel is within walking distance of a number of tourist destinations. Staff are friendly and helpful and the room was clean and contained everything for a short or long stay. Apart from the train noise, which you get use to quickly, there were no other noise factors. There are a variety of food options close by and a large parking station across the road. I only stayed 1 night but will definitely book at Oaks on Castlereagh for my next trip.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

The whole place was dirty. Dirty windows dirty carpets. Bad smell! The place looking nothing like the photos and was way overpriced for what it was. Would not stay there again. I tried to cancel as soon as i arrived but bookings.com already charged for the complete stay before i arrived and could not do anything about it. We were stuck in this disgusting place which ruined our stay in sydney!

The location was ok. Nothing major. 2 bedroom apartment was spacious

• One-Bedroom Apartment - City View

Please put a salt and pepper facility into the room - it’s little expense and convenient like tea and coffee.

Cleanliness and smiling pleasant staff. Modern with all amenities.

• Studio - City View

The car parki was very confusing to navigate around .Had to park 3 blocks away and walk to get key to enter car park .

The location to China town, restaurant , hotel on the corner Coles store close by . The room was great and the facilities in the room were excellent from hairdryer to cooktop in your room

• Studio

The room was fairly dark and could do with a refresh.

Its a great location . Easy walking distance to central station and the light rail. We saw a show at the star and it was easy to walk to the light rail and it dropped us at the door. Its easy to get to the Capitol theatre , the Haymarket area and Darling Harbour.The room was large

• One-Bedroom Apartment - City View

How long it too to check in when you have street parking. Iron wasn't working in the room. No one answering the reception from dialing from within the building or externally. No customer service basically.

• Studio

Heated pool and spa were both cold; asked other people who live in the building and they stated that both are always colder than they should be. Very disappointing

Close to Thai restaurants and Central station

• Studio

Staff didn't speak good English so he was sometimes hard to understand

Very spacious, comfortable bed, nice view of city, friendly reception area, felt safe in the area

all good

the comfortable bed,the size of the room was good.Hotel was convenient to Central station when it was time to leave.The staff took our bags in early as we were of a cruise.

• Studio

Car parking is a little bit of a hassle. You need to check in to get buzzer access to underground car park, and then on checkout hand back the buzzer after leaving the carpark. Not much street parking or spaces to stop to do this easily.

The room is clean and reasonable size for the price. Close to lightrail and other public transport. Cheap on site parking $35 per night. Staff helpful and happy.

• Studio

The noise from the trains and cars. It was difficult to find at night as the sign for the hotel was not lit. Also the pool and spa did not have steps into them making them extremely difficult to get into and out. We hurt ourselves getting out of the spa. Also the pool was cold.

The size of the room, the bed was comfortable and close to the train station

• One-Bedroom Apartment

The location, street itself felt very eerie. Don't know if this is the 'dodge' neighbourhood of the city, but it almost felt that way. From entering the building and walking down the corridor, everything was quite worn. The door to our apartment looked like it had been beaten up. Thankfully the room presented nicely. It didn't exactly have that 'homely, warming' feel. But it made do for our short stay. Could use a fresh reno.

Location is probably the only bonus if you're looking to be in literally the HEART of the City.

• Studio - City View

Only had one tiny window in the whole unit, which made it a bit prison-like. But at least the window could be opened to let in a breeze (there was an AC/heater but felt a bit claustrophobic at times because of small window).

Located walking distance to a few train stations, a major shopping centre, huge range of food outlets and cafes and within one km of where I had to go for work each day. The room was very quiet and could not hear anybody in the other rooms.

• Studio

Studios are not really an apartment / it's a small regular hotel room with some kitchen facilities shoved in a cupboard - they were so small that the kettle and toaster were on a tray in the wardrobe.

Room was tidy and clean / check in staff were friendly

Browse Oaks on Castlereagh, Sydney Central traveller photo gallery