Reviews of Oaks On Collins 4.5 stars

480 Collins Street, 3004 Melbourne, Australia

#266 of 474 Holiday rentals in Melbourne

5.6

It was pretty, most staff were very friendly apart from some staff when I checked in
    • Studio

Didn’t really enjoy the super soft pillows, my neck was quite sore and when I asked if they had any different ones, they didn’t have any. This was just a minor issue though. Some parts of the room like the stove and bathroom were a bit dirty. When I tried to check in and wanted to pay with cash the lady that handled me was quite rude and I think it may have been because we were younger, I still paid the same as every other paying customer so I’d like the same respect. Other than that all other staff were helpful and friendly

Having lots of cooking facilities, friendly staff when I checked out and loved that they could hold on to baggage after check out

Enjoyable stay. Helpful staff.
    • Studio

I opted for the green option to save water. I think that opting for green should just mean that sheets and towels are not replaced daily but should not preclude servicing the room. For example topping up the sachets of tea etc.

weekend away with NO kids! yay. :)
    • Executive Studio

the pillows are always tricky to please everyone. one is too few, two is too many! also, the room heating system was a little confusing as there was a stand alone unit that said it was for air conditioning , we were a tad cold and tried to turn up the heat with it, believing that this was how to- no good. it wasn't until the next morning that I found the actual remote for the split system. just confusing. Also, the dish washer randomly came on twice overnight??? not sure why. I ended up just opening the drawer but it was a little annoying because it woke us up twice. Over all, the place was excellent though.

great check in staff. I left my phone charger there and the girl on the front desk has arranged to have it sent to me. I really appreciated this. very clean and compact and everything we needed really. I'd definitely recommend this again.

Clean and spacious rooms and good service.
    • Studio

Clean and spacious rooms and good service. Food is well prepared. Located perfectly for early business meetings as 5-15 minutes walk from most offices

We loved our stay the only thing was the bathroom shower had...

Weak shower pressures

We loved our stay the only thing was the bathroom shower had no pressure, the sink had nowhere to place cosmetics and I don't understand why a shower Curtin.

Good size living area ok bed.
    • Studio Apartment

Awful bathroom very small, generally in need of some upkeep. tiny basin with low glass shelf over it making it almost useless. TV remote not working. No external windows, apparently have to pay more for that.

Good size living area ok bed.

Convenient location, practical choice, cramped bathroom.
    • Studio Apartment

We expected a free one bedroom upgrade for this stay, but we were given a studio. The bathroom in the studio is very small. The study desk is fixed next to a lounge, I could not even pull the chair properly to comfortably sit and work.

Great location, easily accessible via public transport. Reasonably priced, so a practical choice if all you want is a place to sleep in at night.

Clean
    • Studio - No Housekeeping

I didnt have a no proper window in the room Room 701 This should of been specified in the booking. There was no shelf in bathroom to place my tolietries.

Clean The main essential all in working order. Front desk was helpful

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Good location, not so good service...
    • Studio - No Housekeeping

When we went up to our room my husband noticed that there was toilet paper stuffed into the smoke detector. We went and told the reception desk but they didn't seem to care at all. I expressed my concern of it being a hazard if there were a fire but he said he will just watch the fire panel and see if it is near our room.... They didn't offer to have it removed or put us in a room with a functioning smoke detector - Not what I would expect for nearly $300 a night.

Great Location and Breakfast was nice - you could look out over the street. Was able to get discounted parking (Half price) for the car park underground. The room was spacious and could watch the TV from the bed.

Fabulous location.
    • One-Bedroom Family Apartment with Two Queen Beds

The shower curtains had a mouldy / sweaty smell - and particularly noticeable given small bathroom. We didn't complain because it was only a short stay. However, this is something that should be easily picked up by housekeeping. The curtains / blinds did not block our light fully. Which I suppose was ok given we needed to wake early.

Fabulous location. Short walk to Skybus Terminal which is a bonus for international travellers. Loved the large rooms and kitchenette.

clean and tidy
    • Executive Studio - High Floor

we asked for early checkin when booked and then told when we got there extra $20 as room wasnt ready. we had an early flight then had to wait around till 2pm... not impressed

clean and tidy

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Noisy, stuffy, no privacy. Widow view of the INTERNAL HOTEL HALLWAY.
    • Studio

Room had no external view and was situated in the middle of 2 hallways. Very noisy and could see internal hallway through widow. Claustrophobic feeling and window meant you HAD to have the blinds closed or passing guests could come right up to the window and look in. No fresh air and bathroom was VERY small and uncomfortable. Didn't feel secure in room and can't believe this is what I got for what I paid. For the same price I've had whole serviced apartments of a much better quality with Oaks? Reconsidering giving Oaks my future business ever again after this stay.

Not a lot

• Studio

My meal was forgotten at our group dinner and my room was incorrectly called (i expect for another guest's wake up call,) at 5am so I was exhausted at my conference.

The room ws good value

The bed was good and the room was clear Staff helpful
    • Studio

Had an internal room no outside window but not on the website. Wanted to upgrade to room with a window quite expensive

The bed was good and the room was clear Staff helpful

great location
    • Studio Apartment

don't realise i had internal room had to pay for window happy to DFO afo but would rather it be upfront cost as arrived with bad headache to be stung a tenner first up- maybe i don't read fine print but normally do. shower and bathroom size of caravan bathroom tiny tiny nip where to put toiletry bag

position room service burger delicious

Great location, easy check in. Internal studio was great.
    • Studio

Great central location on Collins Street. I had an internal studio room with no windows - and was fantastic. Quiet, spacious, clean, great facilities, air con worked well.

Enjoyed my stay staff were good and friendly, would recommend and stay again for sure.
    • Studio Apartment

Tv mounted to high when sitting on couch? bed was a little soft? Pillows were all high maybe a variety of low to medium would be good?

Loved the kitchen facilities, very clean and tidy, gym was good tv to watch when working out, great location central to everything, would recommend and stay there again for sure.

A good stay - noisy air conditioning unit otherwise good.
    • Studio

Good place - but price as charged was wrong, hopefully not a bit issue to get corrected.

I wasn't charged the rate quoted in Booking.com - have asked for a refund but getting automated response and no confirmation of my request for a refund.

Friendly staff, clean rooms and central location.
    • Studio Apartment

Bathrooms next to the bed, bathroom/toilet is a wet room with a glass sliding door offering limited privacy. We had 3 friends in different rooms with this being a complaint.

Friendly staff, clean rooms and central location.

Ordinary.
    • Studio

Internal room. No natural light. Sterile environment. Nothing welcoming. Staff didn’t ask if I needed help getting my bag up the stairs or offer to help. I had to line up again at reception again to get a staff member to show me the service lift behind reception.

Large room

Great location but....
    • Studio

1. I was in a windowless suite (no natural light); this was not declared when I made my booking. When I checked in, the hotel tried to up-sell me to a suite with a window. In my opinion, this is unethical. 2. My toilet wasn't cleaned properly during my stay. 3. The bathroom sink drain came off multiple times during my visit.

Comfortable for short stay
    • Studio

Doona had no cover on it and there was no toothpaste. Also room photos are deceiving, the bathroom is a sliding door next to the bed. The shower water is very weak and the water is not very hot.

Location is amazing and price is good. Late checkout available (midday)

Good for a family of four
    • One-Bedroom Family Apartment with Two Queen Beds

The shower curtain in the bathroom made the whole floor wet and slippery,so it was difficult to use the bathroom.

Perfect location,walking distance to everything, and fairly quiet at night compared to other places we've stayed.

Good value for money , comfortable bed and good kitchen facilities.
    • Studio

Bathroom was very small no hair dryer and not very private from the rest of the room only divided by glass doors

Great location easy to get to everything in the city

Good value for money, and great location.
    • Studio

Location was perfect or all the places we had to visit while in Melbourne. Staff where friendly, room facilities where great and clean. Breakfasts where excellent.

Staying at Oaks
    • Studio

Bathroom sink needs better drainage x you need a proper shelf in bathroom for toiletries x remove cabinet door over toilet and turn into shelving x roll out bed needs replacing x very uncomfortable for my guest x

Location x cleanliness x my bed was great

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Very central and staff were great.
    • Studio

Would be difficult for older people to carry their luggage up the stairs to foyer and check in no ramp.

Very central and staff were great. Accommodation spacious and very clean.

Very good Location and large room
    • Studio

we wanted to saty another night, but becouse there were small amount of room left the price doubled up

Large room, No both in mine, best location, all wasy going walking distance to many places and very close to Trem station, care park neer buy for $12 a day with the help of Okas.

Pictures lied
    • Studio

We booked a studio room for our anniversary which was meant to have great views and a big luxurious bathroom and we had no windows and a bathroom in a cupboard was really disappointed for what we paid it wasn't worth it

Was clean

Fleas - not what I’d paid for
    • Studio

I’d been in the room for under an hour when I found a flea in my bed and was covered in bites. The staff were unhelpful and didn’t believe me despite having photos, and a flea trapped under a glass jar. The staff didn’t even come and look at it, just kept making me feel like I wasn’t telling the truth. Never staying here again.

We spent as little time in the hotel as possible.
    • Studio

The bathroom in the room was tiny it had no space for toiletries and looked like a wardrobe. The kitchen was tiny as well and there was no space to prepare food. When we arrived we opened all the cupboards to see what we had and there was very little equipment. We also found the dishwasher which had a nasty smell to it. The room was very small and had no external windows but instead had a window that could be opened into a passage way used by other people to get to their rooms.

The breakfast was good. There was a lot of range and it all tasted good. Room service not too expensive and arrived quickly. The bed was okay.

As usual once l am at the oaks l do not want to leav
    • Studio Apartment

Because this hotel is sooo popular,you tend to have to wait lenghty time to be served by the front desk staff.

Location is central to trams and only walking distance from restaurants and shops.l like that the front desk staff are available through out the night as well. The 2 nights l stayed at the oaks,was the best nights sleep l had had in 6 weeks.

close to amenities
    • Executive Studio - High Floor

Room quite stuffy ,insufficient ventilation and fresh air.no milk for last night and next morning ,not replenished on second last day

close to amenities

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

i haven't even slept, this service was appalling
    • Studio

Where do i even start..Upon initial check in the concierge asked me if i wanted to upgrade my room for a fee, hmmm no..If you have upgraded rooms available you should give them to your paying customers free of charge, like every other hotel. The carpark is one giant mess, "valet" they call it, at a "discounted rate" of $35/night ($70 if you forget to get the discount card from reception upon checkout, which they fail to tell you when checking in/out) )yet you have to park your own car, very small tight carpark, not easy to turn vehicles and one single lane for people going up/down. Leave the keys with them, and wait 30 minutes for your keys to be returned. I missed an appointment because of this, I had to explain to a client how i waiting half an hour for a carpark to give me my own car keys.. The room... disappointing, bathroom?? what bathroom?? a one metre slab with a cheap shower curtain hanging on one side of the bedroom is not a bathroom.... it could barely pass as an ensuite. Exposed unfiltered light fixtures on the ceiling covered in dust, THE LAST PERSONS DIRTY DISHES LEFT IN MY DISH WASHER??? i had Do Not Disturb on my door all morning, house keeping was standing outside my door, literally on the phone to her friends on loud speaker while cleaning neighbouring rooms...An old pillow thin as a pancake, couldn't sleep all night, absolutely no bottled water provided, this should have been a bare minimum!!! The cutlery was just loose in the drawer, no holder or anything, stuffy room with some dodgy ancient dinosaur of a healing/cooling system jammed in the corner of the room above the door, remote didn't even work, had to change the batteries!! No room service available until 5pm, you get sent to the IGA next door with the hobo out the front. Classy joint highly do NOT recommend. What a waste of money and certainly NOT a pleasant stay.

I only booked this place as it was across the road from the function i had to attend on Collins street. Should have stayed across the road, what a dump.

The staff were fantastic.
    • Executive Studio - High Floor

The room was very small and not as described online. I was expecting a larger room especially the bathroom.

The staff were fantastic. The location was great. The room was clean and had a great view.

Not as advertised not a good experience at all
    • Executive Studio - High Floor

Our room was called an "An Executive Suite" Suite means a series of rooms NOT one and a bathroom you could not swing a cat in. The boom gate on the carpark was not operating when we arrived. Out of the four nights there, the car parking validation machine did not work. Staff not helpful at all. Brochure in room states recycle bins in basement { nothing unusual about that } except where do you find said bins but in the laneway behind the hotel. Would not recommend or stay here again.

Good compact kitchen

Great experience will be staying again
    • One-Bedroom Family Apartment with Two Queen Beds

Easy to find checkin was fast and the room was perfect to suit my needs and will be booking again when traveling to Melbourne in September looking forward to it. Close to trams and taxies and all my shopping needs. 10 stars from me.

Every time l stay at oaks on collins,l really want to stay longer.
    • Studio Apartment

Not applicable to my experience.

l have previously stayed at the Oaks on Collins. Great location secure room and friendly staff. Very popular hotel and was fully booked out when l stayed last weekend.l recommend people to book in advance to ensure a room.

Not up to expectation
    • Rooftop Apartment

We had to access stairs to get to our room - my partner had a very sore knee and this caused difficulties. There was no bench space in the bathroom. The dining table was of poor standard and not clean.

The location of the hotel was fantastic. The bed linen was very clean and the bathroom was very clearn

The room is quite big.
    • Studio Apartment

The sink is a bit so small but not a big deal. The breakfast is bit average.

The room is quite big. Our room is at the end of corridor so it is very quiet also has a balcony.

The rooms have a heating sensor in them which looks like...
    • Executive Studio

The rooms have a heating sensor in them which looks like some type of spycam. A note on this device states its not a camera. The reverse cycle aircon wouldn't heat the room hotter because of this.

Most comfortable bed in Melbourne!
    • Studio Apartment

I used the gym and some of the gear was not in safe working condition. Overall, the hotel exceeded my expectations so very happy,

Most comfortable bed in Melbourne! Room was generous size and quiet. I have not stayed here previously as many reviews commented on the small bathroom. Yes, the bathroom is small but it is adequate and functional. At the end of the day I spent more time in the room than in the bathroom so I was happy to have a large room and small bathroom. More than happy with the rest of the facilities.

Lovely place to stay - close to everything you need. I will def be coming back again.
    • Executive Studio - High Floor

Stayed during the week last time and it was much quieter than the weekend but that is normal I guess.

Breakfast was so good and I loved the pancake making machine (so awesome).

Everything else.
    • Studio

The bathroom in the room was tiny and kept hitting head when brushing teeth. The shower wet the floor which was so close to the toilet that the whole floor remained wet.

Everything else. Room had all the comforts required, location was brilliant, staff were friendly and helpful.

Good location and clean modern rooms
    • Studio

Unfortunately rooms are not advertised to have no windows. We had to pay $20 per night to upgrade to have a window. parking is also extremely expensive, charging $35 each time you enter and leave.

Good location and clean modern rooms

overall brilliant place to stay
    • Rooftop Apartment

the bed joined together were a bit hard in the middle when sleeping close to partner

rooms are great with all amenities and will be on the top of the list for next time. so close to everything

overall this was a great option value for money excellent brekky very good comfy bed shwr to small
    • Studio

shouldn't have to pay extra for coffee at brekky brekky shold have been included in price of booking but $17 extra was better than most hotels shwr to small

bed comfy breakky good but had to pay extra for coffee (café latte or cuppacino)

Good location and price.
    • Studio Apartment

The interior room without any external windows. Extremely cramped and claustrophobic room. Very small bathroom including shower that leaked water to the carpet next to the bed.

Good location and price.

I wouldn’t stay here again
    • Studio

The corridors smell like an old hospital. The shower toilet are functional though not idea if 4 people and staying in the room. My colleague’s room had no window!

Location is great

A very nice clean hotel. The only things that spoilt the visit were what I have mentioned below.
    • Studio Apartment

I get very frustrated being charged an extra deposit for my room that is held for an additional 5 days before it is put into my bank account. By all means take the deposit but reimburse the money into my account on departure. The car park under the hotel was also incredibly cramped, it took me additional manoeuvres to get my car in and out of the carpark, on entry it was also very poorly staffed.

Great room and very helpful staff.

Overall we enjoyed our stay
    • Studio

The shower, the glass walls for the bathroom, because if one uses the bathroom at night it wakes up the other. On booking in we were told that we had a room without a window and that it was only really suitable for 0ne night and to upgrade is another $20 per night.. this needs to be explained when booking.

Location was excellent. beautiful comfortable bed, Restaurant was good and reasonably priced.

Generally the hotel is good, with the issues noted above.
    • One-Bedroom Family Apartment with Two Queen Beds

The bathroom was poor, with a small sink and very limited shelf and hanging space. It was also not good from a privacy perspective, given that it is shared through two doors and the toilet is effectively next to the bed in the living room. The bathroom may be different in different room configurations. The people in the next room were very noisy and the walls are obviously thin. Complaining may cause more problems than it is worth, so perhaps staff should monitor noise levels.

Most things.

Comfortable family accomodation
    • One-Bedroom Family Apartment with Two Queen Beds

The staff could have been more helpful, checking in with a small child and a sleeping toddler in a pram some specific directions to the stair lift would have been appreciated, it took 2 trips back to reception to find it and then calling out to someone walking past (staff) to get said lift to work, and then the staff member to race off after offering minimal assistance

Comfortable and spacious double room for a reasonable price A good location and easy to get to everywhere with the kids, level access tram stop right out the front

Good central accommodation
    • Studio

We have been to a few hotels and apartments in the CBD and always look forward to the few snacks the room has to offer for a midnight snack but this time there was nothing - we had also just missed out on in house room service 😔

It was quite a big room. Close to theatre.

I did some shopping in Melbourne and subsequently forgot...
    • Rooftop Apartment

I did some shopping in Melbourne and subsequently forgot something when I left. Having contacted reception they said that they would follow up with housekeeping and return my phone call. It has been 4 days without any response. Obviously the respect for other peoples belongings doesn't exist in this company.

Exceeded our expectations. Great value for money.
    • Executive Studio

Just brilliant. Very spacious room, quirky bathroom - but still great. Great location, easy walk to restaurants, shops. And a great price. Will be back.

Great weekend
    • Studio

Getting to the lift with a pram from my foyer was a little difficult at times especially when staff on front counter were busy.

Location of the hotel is very good. Stayed at hotel before. Did same booking but first time must had been upgraded not at my request to room with two beds with no extra charge.

Value for money
    • Executive Studio - High Floor

It said on the website it included a balcony. TV didn’t work and when we rang up to fix it they said it was too late. They left dishwasher on so there was beeping and we couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. Tv remote didn’t work. There was a brown stain above the bed that looked like poo

Value for money

The fact my holiday got cut short due to sick children back...
    • Studio

The fact my holiday got cut short due to sick children back in Adelaide....2 hours after arriving at the hotel I had to drive back to Adelaide....the hotel didn’t assist any sort of refund or anything towards another stay at the hotel and said they needed to speak to management on the week day since then they have ignored all my attempts to see if they could assist at all as I didn’t even get to enjoy 1 of my 3 day stay

The room was very different to how it was advertised.
    • Executive Studio

The room was very different to how it was advertised. The bathroom was very inconvenient and cramped. The staff weren’t warm and friendly. Overall the place had an unfriendly, sterile vibe.

This hotel suited a quick overnight stay however any longer we may have to upgrade our room.
    • Studio Apartment

The room smelt like sweat and cat poop, the bathroom was so small you could not fit two people in there and there was mould on the tiles. The walls were also not sound proof however we were only in the room to sleep so it didn’t matter all that much I guess.

The bed was really comfy and the set up was nice. My boyfriend enjoyed the World Cup thanks to foxtel supplied on the TV.

Nice hotel at a competitive price, located in the heart of Melbourne CBD.
    • Executive Studio - High Floor

Ensuite was very small. Unable to access other levels (to visit friends) as swipe card would only allows access to the level of our room.

Rooms were very spacious with a good kitchenette. Reception staff were all polite and keen to assist. Excellent location to Melbourne attractions. (Casino, Aquarium, Exhibition centre)

Great stay in Melbourne, great location, but something needs to be done about the stairs and shower
    • Rooftop Apartment

After getting to the 18th Floor by elevator, then having to lug your bags up 2 and a bit flights of stairs to get to your room. The bathroom basically flooded when you had a shower.

2nd stay, much happier with the room this time, level 13...

NA

2nd stay, much happier with the room this time, level 13 with a balcony. Bathroom is still small in comparison to the room size but the location is great. Much happier on this trip.

Although staff lovely, I think I’ll look for better value at alternate apartments next time
    • Studio Apartment

Bed was 2 singles pushed together, & had to remake the bed totally. The bottom sheet didn’t was 12 inches short?! Was also quite noisy.

Let us book in eRly& check out late

Value for money. Lovely staff. Beautiful Hotel
    • Studio Apartment

The toilet flush was honestly more pressurised than the shower

Upon checkout we we met the nicest man who helped us with our parking payment. I can’t remember his name but I remember he was from Geelong and lived there for 27 years. Bloody legend

Definitely could get a better room for that price!
    • Executive Studio - No Housekeeping

The bathroom is tiny. Water goes everywhere on the bathroom floor while you’re having a shower. The room looks nothing like it does on the photos. The rooms tiny too. The windows don’t even open so you can get some air. Customer service is crap. Definitely not going back.. not happy at all.

Weekend Getaway
    • Studio

I don't think there was anything that I didn't like about the property.

I liked the fact that where they are located it is mostly walking distances to a large variety of restaurants and bars for those after dinner night caps.

Would definitely stay there again!
    • Studio Apartment

More information about parking would have been very helpful. We parked in Flinders Street & walked approximately 10 minutes, only to find there was a car park right next to the hotel.

In a convenient location, with a short walk to the tram stop. The hotel was quite luxurious looking with a 24 hour reception. It was fully self-contained with a kitchen and decent sized fridge. Very comfortable & clean.

Location, kitchen facilities and the bed.
    • Studio Apartment

Plumbing issues with the bathroom sink. Not enough room to put toiletries etc in the bathroom. Shower is not great and sprays water across the bathroom. Difficult to get water to right temperature. Either too hot or too cold. Can be noisy when people come back in late at night.

Location, kitchen facilities and the bed. The bed is very comfortable.

No the best
    • Studio Apartment

When we first walked into the room we felt that it was quite small, photos were very deceiving. A further look into it the bathroom was tiny, I had to come out to the carpet to dry. I had to do my make up over the toilet as there was no bench space next to the sink. There was a window out to a walk way so we couldn’t get any natural light without someone looking in. The split system wouldn’t allow it to go under 22 degrees so the room was very stuffy at night. After staying at Oaks William I was disappointed by this room

Great location, easy to access. Quick easy check In and out.

Overall enjoyed our stay 😉
    • Studio

Stayed 2days would have liked room cleaned and fresh towels bed made after first night ...car park awkward ..no lift from lower car park to motel

Excellent position

Great hotel
    • Studio Apartment

I expected better food and more variety

The room was clean,nice and perfect, specially the bed, very comfy , I recommend this hotel 100% Also the staff were very nice

Staff great, room clean great location and good breakfast.
    • Studio Apartment

Bathroom set up a joke, looks like it was the closest at one time.

Parking a bit chaotic and did not like having to carry my luggage up the parking ramp to get to the elevator. Check in great and staff friendly and helpful. Room very clean, bed comfortable but the bathroom is a joke. Had to use kitchenette sink as bathroom sink so small you couldn’t bend over it and wash your face unless you were under 3 feet tall. Rooms need to be updated and bathroom changed. Curtains in our room very dirty and full of holes. Location great but there are many other hotels as well. We had the breakfast buffet which was very good and staff fantastic.

huge room.
    • Studio Apartment

Ensuite was tiny and very uncomfortable. the shelf above the tiny sink was so low that you could not brush your teeth comfortably or wash your face**also no place to hang a towel and no face washers. and when at night you turn on light in ensuite it lights up like a light box: no discretion! yet heaps of lost space in room. the couch was positioned badly in regards to watching television. no telephone in room to ring reception which seemed odd. the friendly reception staff did not know the nearest pub (I asked as I recalled it from a long time ago, but wanted to know if it still existed and whether it was 1 or 2 blocks up?? Well she had no idea and as it turned out it was less than 100 metres up the road. Neither did she do the validation of the car park ticket properly, so basic knowledge was not there.... room key did not work, so needed to go back to reception from 16th floor, which was annoying.

huge room. comfortable bed. Breakfast was really good. staff was friendly