Reviews of Pavilion On Northbourne 4 stars

242 Northbourne Avenue, 2602 Canberra, Australia

#47 of 100 hotels in Canberra

• One-Bedroom Suite

Our card stopped working. Internet only worked when I stood outside room. Hot water was turned off in ttechand basin. No hot water in the shower in the morning. Room 266 very noisy beside main road. No micro wave or mini kitchen to hav we coffee or wash cups

The staff were Helpful. It is close to everything

• Deluxe Room

Repeat customer of Pavilion on Nourthbourne. The one hotel I know will always provide excellent customer service 24/7 Central location, clean room, super comfortable!

• Deluxe Room

Due to car problems that had to be fixed we wanted to transfer the breakfast we had paid for until the next day but was told this was impossible a little flexibility would have been great

The beds were comfortable breakfast was great the position close to everything. The Pavilion had a very nice atmosphere

• Deluxe Room

Breakfast was excellent - great food, easy modern serveries ...... but.... how do I get a coffee? The complex coffee machine gave me 1 cm of hot water; twice. Then I realised I had to put a satchel in somewhere ........ I just put it in a slot and hoped for the best....... no instructions to be seen. I received 1 cm of hot coffee ........ filled the baby cup (hotel cups were obsolete in the 1980's !) with cold full cream milk from the silver jug and obtained....... one cup of cold coffee! Fooey - no coffee for breakfast. I asked a passing waitress who barely understood me, 5 minutes later she had made me a coffee at the coffee shop. Thank you. Excellent recovery. But as I was leaving I was criticised for not being able to make a coffee with the James Bond coffee machine. I tried to explain there were no instructions and the staff started to explain where I went wrong .......... Woa! I am the customer, I made the mistake??? I don't want a lesson in how to drive the Space Shuttle, I want a @@%@$ cup of coffee when I arrive at 7.45 am! I am the customer - the silent stare I received from the waiter/manager/ (whatever he was) indicated that I was clearly an incompetent idiot and I didn't deserve the privilege of attending his breakfast ............... and I paid for that personality evaluation: Thanks a lot! Heaven knows what would have happened if I had asked for a second cup..........preferably in a mug !!!

Excellent facilities, good rate for mid week, free parking, received the same good service as I always get. The restaurant waitress staff were excellent and helped me choose a warm table which was appreciated after a 4 hour drive

• Deluxe Room

The only thing I didn't like was the new light rail construction work outside (not the hotels fault) However, that made it difficult getting around with the diversions.

The room was larger than expected, very clean & comfortable. The food was delicious. It is centrally located with a shuttle service if needed. The value for money was exceptional, we will return. AAA+

• Deluxe Room

We were in a room that was close to the highway at the front of the property so there was traffic noise. Double glazing wouldn't go astray. Everything else was excellent.

I love the forest in the middle of the atrium and the comfy chairs scattered around the atrium. Love the secure off street parking and the food is really good.

• Deluxe Room

I thought the wonderful plants needed some tlc - a wipe over and spray. They looked dull and sad.

A great place and price for an overnight travel stop.

• Deluxe Room

The room was listed as "delux" but there was nothing delux about it. The carpets and furniture were worn and marked, the bathroom ceiling so low a tall person needs to stoop, and despite booking for 2 people it was a room with 3 beds.

Good central location. Easy on-site parking. Excellent restaurant. Very comfy bed.

• Deluxe Room

Canberra looks tired and the tram tracks what a waste of momey

Food excellent dinner breakfast worthwhile beds very comfortable service bar area good Manager very pleasant

• Deluxe Room

We have stayed here 3 years in a row now and have always found it a great place to stay. However this time the Bar fridge in our room was so noisy and we had to turn it off each night.

• Deluxe Room

Convenient. Easy place to get too.Staff are excellent very helpful . Always easy and helpful staff in asll departments cannot help enough with breakfasts. .

Just the position,cleanliness and very lovely place to stay .

• Deluxe Room

The rooms are a little dated but it's still very functional.

I've stayed at The Pavilion on Northbourne a few times now. I like how easy it is to get to as you drive into Canberra from Sydney. The rooms themselves have large comfortable beds, plenty of power points and lots to watch on the TV. The free WiFi connection is strong and reliable. The atrium is not only beautiful but also serves great food - I'm a huge fan of the Caesar salad.

• Deluxe Room

$100 charge apart from room rate held for up to five working days after stay is an inappropriate impost in my opinion considering accommodation is paid up front, and a check of room on checkout would take 5 minutes.

Comfy bed. Comfortable and accessible room. Great secure parking, and plenty of it. Fabulous buffet breakfast, plenty of choice; wilted spinach would have been a great addition however. Free news papers in atrium dining room, and plenty of them. Beautiful atrium dining room. Vaulted sail ceiling and lush tropical garden feel a delight. Staff were welcoming and efficient. Good coffee.

• Deluxe Room

There wasn’t much that I didn’t like except that the mini fridge wasn’t stocked and I couldn’t order 1 orange juice on room service as there’s a minimum of $10 which is understandable but it was midnight and I was thirsty and don’t drink tap water. But they did have a vending machine but I had to walk in my Pjs to get a drink from it.

I liked the staff and the room was good, I loved the roof and how the tent (if that’s what it’s called) and how it brought in natural light it made the place look lovely it made it a little cold outside the room but other than that it was great ! Definitely would stay again

• One-Bedroom Suite

The buiding and the rooms are pretty run down. Boarded up buildings in the neighborhood, No complementary drinking water. Excercise room is a cave. Since the main building is covered by a tent it was very cold inside (End May). All things offered at check in for breakfast require additional extra payments.

Front Desk Staff generally very friendly

• Deluxe Room

The the in suite jacuzzi was not working The fridge was off No power for the microwave Fairly old furniture

Clean, nice staff, spacious room and good location

• Deluxe Room

Bed's were really comfortable and I was able to open the window and have fresh air in the room instead of hot airconditioning Room service was great - very ample portion size. Great night time snack.

• Deluxe Room

Either the digital TV or wifi cannot connect. Room fittings are prone to wear and tear.

The hotel can be visibly seen by the roadside. Its external design has aesthetic appeal.

I couldn’t fault anything

The staff were absolutely lovely, the bar/restaurant area was beautiful. Room was good size and very comfortable bed. Great distance from the cbd shopping area

• Deluxe Room

The room heating wasn't good. The tiny shower room steamed up with condensation dripping down walls. Maybe extractor fan in the ceiling rather than half way up a wall could fix that..

The restaurant was excellent. The staff good maybe a little too friendly with the use of words like 'Guys' and 'Youse' more like a Macca's experience than a four star restaurant, but she was good, answered all questions and helpful and very nice. The food was remarkable, it was fresh, well prepared, well cooked and with excellent flavour. (The blood orange sauce not even noticed till you wiped a bread roll over it and enjoyed the flavour). Well done! The room neat, clean and tidy.

• Deluxe Room

The lighting in the bathroom was not very good. Very difficult to apply make up with. Also there was no full length mirror in the room.

Bed was very comfortable. Rooms lovely and quiet.

• Deluxe Room

Mini bar empty. Very old control for heating, bit confusing.

Pleasant surroundings in atrium. Great happy hour , great value. Had problems with TV and was moved promptly to bigger room. Breakfast was great better than thought and bargain if pre paid.

• Suite with Spa Bath

The Windows had no locks on them! A young female manager got all distressed and pulled the "don't speak to me like that" when I demanded a new room. ( assertion is not a form of aggression) After that a Male manager came up with a makeshift window lock.

• Deluxe Room

my key kept de-magnitising regardless of whether I had it near an electronic device or not. That was very frustrating - it probably needs to be updated.

staff were nice

• Deluxe Room

Very dated and worn furnishings. Don’t think the extra I paid for a larger suite with hot tub was worth the extra. Bed was far too soft for my taste. Biggest peeve is the lack of parking before you check in if traveling by car.

It was ok. The eating area was very nice and the atrium area where we stayed was very nice.

? nothing was glaring

Comfortable bed, very clean, love the ambience. The public areas are full of living plants. It is visually lovely and creates a very peaceful ambience. It also removes some nasty chemicals from the air we breathe. Lovely stay

• Deluxe Room

We would have liked some buscuits in our room to have with a late night cup of tea.

Good service, clean, comfortable rooms, good bar food dinner and breakfast. Location was ideal and we were very happy to have secure parking. Overall good value for money.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Room was very cold, unable to get warm. Noise from tram construction on Nothbourne Ave. Wi-Fi is hopeless, slow and will not extend to bedroom.

Size of room

• One-Bedroom Apartment

1 bedroom apartment was great for travelling with a 9 month old. Kitchen was fantastic (full size fridge) & bathroom was a very good size. The hotel arranged for a bassinet to be in the room for our arrival also. Very clean. The bar did great coffee & happy hour is 4-6 pm - $5 house wine & spirits. Food from the bar was also very good. This hotel was great for travelling with a young family.

• Deluxe Room

An early morning knock on the door with room service breakfast that I did not order then when I explained that it appeared on my bill at check out.

The general layout of the Hotel is very pleasing.

• Deluxe Room

Just had a little trouble with my room key, apparently if kept close to mobile phone it demagnitizes!!! Had to go to reception on a number of occasions during our one night stay to redo the room key. Not a real problem but was a bit annoying. Staff were more than happy to help.

Staff very pleasant and helpful, room clean and comfortable. Pleasant bar area.

• Deluxe Room

See above. Accommodation area upstairs seems stripped of any pleasantries. Our room appears to have been downgraded. Certainly was not deluxe.

Location good, but roadwork detracted from ease of access. Initial impression good with the great pavilion and restaurant area but needs an urgent upgrade. Greenery etc dusty and unkept. Evening meal disappointing.

• Deluxe Room

Unfortunately the distance from the city centre was too far. We couldn't just go outside and have a coffee, or a meal which we are used to when travelling.

The food in both eating places was exceptional. Loved all the friendly faces wherever we went throughout the hotel - well done!

• Deluxe Room

The sockets are far from the bed. It was not convenient. I had to charge my phone and wanted to have it nearby because I had set up the alarm clock on it.

I liked the room because it was warm and very clean. Also I liked that it had an opportunity to have tea.

Nil

Didnt have time to have a meal there, however for the price, we (my 40 year old son & myself) had our expectations exceeded. The chap on the desk was perfect. Polite & professionally friendly. A very spacious & clean room. Would have liked to have a drink at the bar & also a meal, but time did not permit. Next time!

• Deluxe Room

Absolutely adorable courtyard full of plants, in fact trees. So fantastic to relax with glass of wine. We also had bar meal and it was very very good.

• Deluxe Room

I didn’t like that fact that the waitresses were very slow, I waited 10 minutes for my son to get a cup of water! And had to wait for a high chair! So I didn’t like that the waitress were just slow on a night that wasn’t busy at all!

We liked the presentation of the hotel, our room was nice and the cleaners did a great job cleaning the room, felt more relaxed coming back to the hotel after a huge day out! Also we liked we could hire a DVD player! And reception was always polite, kind and helpful!

• Deluxe Room

The Pavillion is in a very convenient location for sightseeing. Its on the road in from Sydney and you just continue along the road to get to the National Gallery, Portrait Gallery etc. Couldn't be easier. It has a very attractive atrium style lobby which is perfect for a drink or meeting up with people and a good buffet breakfast.

• Deluxe Room

Carpark was really full when we came back from a wedding reception, took a while to find parking space.

Lounge area is spacious Bed is very comfortable

• Deluxe Room

Air con could have more user friendly controls. Unfortunately we had road works outside the window so couldn't open window. Sound proofing is great though.

We enjoyed our one night stay. Front desk staff were lovely. Parking excellent. Air con could have more user friendly controls. Comfortable room. Teeny tiny bathroom but OK for one night (and I think we had a budget room). Price was good for the location and room.

• Deluxe Room

traffic a little congested at the moment getting out of motel due to construction of light rail

Location fantastic, room spacious and comfy, Canberra a beautiful place to explore, we visited the zoo/aquarium, Telstra tower, gardens, old parliament house, war museum and other museums. also ventured out to nicholls where there are several interesting places to visit.

• Deluxe Room

Service in the restaurant could have been better but may have been due to lack of experience

Room was comfortable with plenty of space. Check-in staff were very friendly and helpful and process very easy. Parking was convenient with adequate proximity to the room.

• Deluxe Room

The overall outcome of my two night stay with your company was really good. Not having travelled to canberra for some 20 years to find "Pavillion on Northbourne"was like a breath of fresh air. Service at bar, restaurant and reception was a "ten", price was good for my budget and location was excellent. Well done and thank you.

• Deluxe Room

Everything is just a bit dated, the paint, greenery, the bathroom. Lighting in the vanity area was poor.

Room was lovely and clean, comfy bed. Staff very friendly & helpful.

• Deluxe Room

The only issue we had was when we went to take the spare pillows out of the cupboard, a pair of mens underwear fell out as well which was extremely strange....

My partner and I stayed in a suite which was extremely spacious.

• Deluxe Room

Bathroom outdated. Shower over bath, not ideal for those who are not so agile to climb in & out. No shower curtain, so floor became wet & slippery. No apparent fan in bathroom. Out of hotels control, the roadworks or rail building works. Thank goodness for ear plugs. A room on the back of hotel would have been better,still enjoyed our stay.

Friendly helpful staff. Easy check in & out. Nice room,bed. Breakfast great value.

• Deluxe Room

The bed's are firm and I mean FIRM, its like sleeping on a rock. the walls are a little thin and be expecting the noise from next doors shower and toilet etc, as the walls appear to be paper thin in the room that we had. The bathroom is old and dilapidated with a very old and yellow marked toilet seat, not what we were expecting at all.

The location is fairly good with an approx. walk of 1Km to the centre of town. Free parking is always a bonus.

• Deluxe Room

Wifi unfortunately was playing up and too slow to use. Fresh air vent at top of entry door to room allowed sound from outside to carry through, especially noisy guests next door.

Very clean and tidy room, location excellent given you could be within the city in 5 minutes. Light rail work on northbourne however makes it a bit of a hassle to get to when returning from city.

• Deluxe Room

There where a few things in our room that were falling apart or broken, I also wasn't told about the $100 deposit that was required at arrival

The main entrance was stunning

• Deluxe Room

Nothing. Under NO circumstances go into Maccas at Braddon. Great shops around it but stay clear.

Location, easy to find, great rooms and staff. It is so pleasant to walk into the atrium and be greeted by lovely staff like Larry. We stay often and love it.room service meals are great and buffet breakfast is wonderful. Great variety only $20 if booked when checking in or day before breakfast.

• Deluxe Room

Bar is advertised as open 11 til late - at 10pm, when I needed it (after arriving from Sydney) it was closed. No door to separate mirror / vanity / sink from bedroom. Bed quilts could have been thicker.

Late night check-in / 24 hour reception.

• Deluxe Room

People complained about the air conditioning. Have to agree. A bit stuffy and you need to drink water. Restaurant was disappointing. When seated nearly 25 minutes before order was taken. Over an hour before anything to eat. Then they forgot half my meal. When we left no one was around to sign for the meal even waited over 5 minutes. Booked for 6.30 and was there at 6.20 pm.

Reception bed sheets pillows room parking all OK.

• Suite with Spa Bath

If you dont need the internet etc then this place is a really nice relaxing place to stay. If you do like some wifi...The free wifi was horrendous. The only 2 things i was looking for for this trip was wifi and a bath. The wifi...it would (sometimes) connect to your device and that is it. My phone and tablet just kept erroring with 'no internet' or 'limited internet connectivity'literally nothing loaded on it

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

The apartment was very basic for the $260 per night fee. The tap in the bathroom basin was almost impossible to turn on and off and obviously needed replacing; the shower was in the bath and a notice on the wall said to use the non-slip bath mat supplied, there was no bath mat to be found, so my 86 year old husband was too nervous to have a shower; I informed the young woman at reception of our concerns on leaving but she made no note of them and was obviously not interested.

• Deluxe Room

we had a room overlooking the road where roadworks were being done... and in early hrs of morning like 2am works started and lots of people were talking loudly and dragging stuff around... did not sleep at all... very annoyed they would take our money and put us in a room knowing roadworks are currently being undertaken right outside the room...wasn't fair to us.

design, foyer, breakfast, sitting area ambience.

• Deluxe Room

Air Conditioning didnt work effectively but biggest issue was that there was all night roadworks right outside our window on Northbourne Avenue. I think we should definitely have been advised of that before we committed to stay

Slow WiFi

Excellent service by all members of staff at any time, very delicious versatile meals, even at night (4.00 am) at very good prices so that I ate my dinner almost every day in my suite, very good, clean, and big room.

• Deluxe Room

Our room was on Northbourne Rd side and quite noisy. The breakfast buffet food was only warm a d our toilet didnt flush.

The bar and meals area looked really good and quite dramatic. Made for great atmosphere.

• Suite with Spa Bath

Shower over spa was difficult to use without getting water all over the bathroom.

Room was clean and very comfortable. Hotel is in a great location for all tourist spots. Very friendly staff.

• Deluxe Room

Would have loved a little more space but just a minor point.

Good location with plenty of parking at the property. Great food at the restaurant and highly recommend the breakfast. Hotel had a great vibe about it. Room very clean and modern. Staff very friendly!

• Deluxe Room

Rooms were little out dated Sound proofing isn't that great-can hear traffic/roadworks and also hear the water go down the pipes.

Staff and food were good Free onsite car-park very convenient and secure Indoor rainforest was beautiful!

• Deluxe Room

Having to put $100 bond on my credit card for possible extras and having to pay credit card surcharges For room and at the bar and restaurant.

Easy access from main road, off street secure parking

• Deluxe Room

Some room furnishing is dated and will need to be refreshed.

Very attractive property with indoor atrium. Comfortable, good sized room. Very pleasant and efficient staff.

• Deluxe Room

Flexibility re happy hour arrangements. Sign said every day, but actually only weekdays. A small refund would have been nice

All good. Bright reception area. Rooms large, clean. Good bathroom

• Deluxe Room

Little bit noisy rooms with cars departing from 6 am but generally ok.

The atrium in the hotel is lovely. Beautiful indoor plants and greenhouse feel. Bars and cafes downstairs immersed in jungle feel. Loved it. Rooms clean and modern. Like that the rooms have thick blinds so can sleep in.

• Deluxe Room

I stayed for 3 nights with my mum, I was a little hesitant after some of the reviews. I could not have chosen a better place. The indoor garden area was really lovely. We had breakfast each morning which was excellent and the staff extremely friendly. We felt like we were in tropical QLD. We had dinner two nights and the quality of the food was very good. The lamb shank pie was incredible. The beds were very comfy and location excellent; quick drive to most attractions. I would definitely stay again. Thanks

• Deluxe Room

The smell of the Hotel in general wasnt fresh....too much of a cleaning solution smells & no flowing fresh air smell. Chicken Caeser Salad room service was not enjoyable, other meals ok.

Room Service great. Cancelled the last night being Tuesday 10/4 but have not received the $179 refund back on my credit card I was told Booking.com advised me after they contacted Pavillion reception. So I am disappointed to say the least!!!!

• Deluxe Room

Car parking is a problem at this place on Saturday nights. The hot air balloon mob were staying at this hotel and parked their cars and trailers over 4 to 5 parking spots each. About 30 car parking spots were taken up by about 6 vehicles. The management need to supervise this group a lot closer in future.

• Deluxe Room

The air conditioning is centralized. You cannot turn off the extremely noisy system. I had the worst sleep in a hotel I can ever recall. I would not recommend this hotel unless you are wearing noise cancelling headphones or earplugs. It is terrible.

• Deluxe Room

The pool area was great but my son and I felt a little uncomfortable walking through the atrium area - and therefore folks making their morning coffees at the buffet breakfast!- to get to it... Still, it was definitely worth the quick scamper!

Clean and quiet room, with good security and lovely atrium area. Fabulous that the bar staff would happily make me a great coffee after all the late dinner patrons had disappeared. Concierge staff couldn't have been more informative, friendly or interested. Absolutely amazing value for money.

• Deluxe Room

There was no view, but this didn't concern us. The room was quiet and we didn't hear a thing even though the hotel is on a main road.

The staff were lovely, answering all our questions and going out of their way to help and make recommendations. The hotel had a nice feel as soon as we walked into the foyer. Housekeeping did a wonderful job keeping our room clean! It was easy to get into town as there was a bus stop close by (5 minute easy walk).

• Deluxe Room

The cold shower at about 1.20pm on the 6 Apr when I was preparing to dress for a funeral. I can only say "Not happy, and no apology either." Not good enough so I hope when I return for 5 days from 10 - 15 May 18 it doesn't occur again.

Bed was very comfortable. Close the window at night or the traffic will keep you awake.

• Deluxe Room

I didn’t like the position of the room. The noise from the eating area could be heard from the room. The tv remote didn’t work. I ordered room service w the night I arrived and the tray was not collected from next to my door for a whole day.

I really liked the room.

N/a

Staff were polite and helpful. Room was clean, good size. Value for money. Food was very nice. Lovely atmosphere and greeny really added to that.

• Deluxe Room

I was welcomed very pleasantly,car accommodation adequate, directions good, choice of dining areas good, food very acceptable - all in all an enjoyable night meeting up wirth friends who also stayed there

Browse Pavilion On Northbourne traveller photo gallery