Reviews of Peppers Gallery Hotel 4.5 stars

15 Edinburgh Avenue, 2601 Canberra, Australia

#36 of 100 hotels in Canberra

Comfort stay for leisure travellers
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The price is little bit over.

Extremely convenient location within Canberra City. Near the National Museum and the Australian National University. 10min walk to Canberra Centre and other businesses.

Beautiful room in a great location.
    • Queen Room

My room was 120 and it was a long walk from the lobby.

The bathroom was absolutely gorgeous and the bed super comfy! I also was able to extend my stay for an extra hour without charge.

Overall we were underwhelmed.
    • Queen Room

The fact that the parking was away from the property was very inconvenient. The rooms were very small and the location wasn’t as good as we anticipated. Overall it was not what we expected from a Peppers property.

Certain staff members were very helpful and the restaurant was quite nice.

Had a great weekend in Canberra
    • Deluxe Queen Room - Unserviced

On Friday evening unable to get Park at reception to check in & no parking close by. Slow service at breakfast - under staffed for how busy they were. Ran out of poached eggs!! Leaking toilet

Location, extra milk provided on request, helpful staff, great range of movies on demand, room service when wasn’t included in booking.

Great place to stay
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Couldn't find any details of the room service menu, no in-room literature on hotel facilities, the App was slow

Location, room was very comfortable, quite modern

Friendly staff, nice restaurant and bar, improvements to room would help (some free space in fridge)
    • Premier King Room with Bath

Only one free PowerPoint near the bed and one in the bathroom on the wall away from vanity. No room in the fridge to place a bottle of wine or soft drink in and If you removed items from fridge to make space items are charged to you room.

Friendly helpful staff

The hotel was satisfactory given the age of the original building.
    • Premier King Room - Unserviced

I booked two rooms for 3 nights on the same booking. Was provided with one room which had no daws or shelving for clothes though the other had a full wardrobe. My room 139 had a single cupboard with hanging space only.

Position was very good

Brilliant hotel, outstanding location, wonderful rooms, great cafe and service, excellent parking
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Loved everything in this hotel

Outstanding hotel. Location brilliant and close to parliament house. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The café is outstanding, the food and coffee was brilliant and the room service arrives on time and is delicious and hot. The bed was super comfy and the bathroom and shower were a great size. Parking is brilliant, I parked right outside the hotel. Check in was seamless and extremely quick. I highly recommend this hotel for business travelers in Canberra.

Peppers Gallery Hotel was a great place to stay during our brief Canberra stopover.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Some hot chocolate sachets with the tea and coffee would be nice, but there was really nothing we didn't like.

The slightly funky decor and the aspect through the windows. The pod machine ☕️☕️☕️😊. And there were enough pods for our brief stay.

Pleasant Stay
    • Queen Room

The water overflow from the shower was annoying.

Comfy room. Great decor and bathroom finishing was very nice. The location to CBD was a pleasant walk and the eateries close by were excellent.

Perfect to end our tour Melbourne + Canberra
    • Deluxe Queen Room

My Wife and myself who are both Retired (70+) found it to be to our liking. The food was great. and the staff behind the bar Excellent The Breakfast could be better. Saying that I would still recommend The Peppers Gallery hotel

Nice place but maybe not in Winter.
    • Premier King Room - Unserviced

Cold bathrooms - Canberra gets really cold in winter - why couldn't they put heated flooring in!!

Hotel was great price for the weekend, the bed was a little uncomfortable, maybe a new mattress was needed and definitely need heated floors in bathroom - it was -1 and getting up in the night on freezing cold tiles was not pleasant. Restaurant was lovely.

Excellent location, outstanding comfort and fabulous staff - best stay in Canberra.
    • Premier King Room

Presentation of the buffet at breakfast needs improvement. Very lack lustre and unappealing. There were even utensils missing to pick up the food.

Coffee at breakfast was excellent. Staff were extraordinarily helpful. Beds are superbly comfortable. Cleanliness is OUTSTANDING.

Great location for a short stay in town
    • Queen Room

Shower (small and without a door... so water on the floor), and e-locking system for the door (wasn't always working properly)

fantastic location, great amenities

Well located; easy drive to all tourist sites and restaurants
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The toilet cistern kept running and it took some effort to stop that to allow the cistern to fill. The hooks for towels/clothing, though stylish, kept twisting to one side and allowed things to drop to the floor. While the room was big enough, it would have been good to have a desk chair that fitted UNDER the desk when not in use. The car parking was unusual in that it was a distance from the hotel and inadequately signed.

Roomy enough; a good size bathroom with space for toiletries and cosmetics bags. We enjoyed our two nights and would come again, so our complaints are about things that should not happen. Easy walk to the city; two noted restaurants at the site and two highly rated coffee shops/cafes nearby.

Perfect stay at Peppers Gallery
    • Three-Bedroom Apartment

The location with its proximity to the city and major roads made it very easy for us to get around. The view from our roomy apartment was spectacular.

Comfortable bed.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Weird room set up – the bathroom had double doors that snapped shut. The decor is dated and wasn't great quality when it was installed. A/C was really loud. Had a lot of trouble booking a second room – the night staff took more than half an hour to sort this out, and once they'd finally finished and given me the key, the card didn't work and needed to be replaced twice! This final replacement key still had issues and needed to be swiped several times before it worked.

Comfortable bed. Reception removed contents of mini bar so I could use the fridge.

The apartment provided everything we wanted. A comfortable, stylis centrally located place to
    • Three-Bedroom Apartment

There were not enough cups.

Our apartment was very spacious. The bonus car parking was great. The food that was delivered from Bicicletta was delicious. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Short Stay in Canberra
    • Deluxe Queen Room - Unserviced

I paid top dollar for the room only too find that it would be un-serviced. The staff on the front counter offered fresh towels if I required them.

Room was comfortable for 1. Shower was hot. Restaurants onsite were convenient.

A pleasant place to stay in Canberra.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The key card was frustrating - getting into the room was like taking part in Russian Roulette but just as you are about to go back to Reception it opened. The room lighting was difficult to operate.

The room was a god size and the bath and shower are excellent. WiFi was free as was access to all movies. The cleaning staff were first class.

Room was cool. Felt a certain air of distrust due to my age
    • Deluxe Queen Room

That we had to cough up an extra $230 to pay a bond on a room we were spending a night in, really felt quite impersonal though I understand the reasoning behind it. Finding a bank in Cambera at 10pm was the hardest challenge of my entire life.

I enjoyed that part where they accepted out $230 bond in cash.

I highly recommend you avoid this hotel at all costs!
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Bath

Disgraceful the treatment I received. Never been so insulted in my life!! Avoid at all costs!

I was treated appallingly by staff. Disgraceful the entire stay!!! Avoid all costs!

Bathroom was a slipping hazard, especially the shower,...
    • Queen Room

Bathroom was a slipping hazard, especially the shower, didn’t have enough hanging facilities for towels - just 2 hooks. In the bedroom the lighting was abysmal.

Great location for attending German Film Festival.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Shower in our room seemed a bit temperamental.

Great location for attending German Film Festival. Room was nice. Restaurant good. Parking on site good but does need to be pre-booked.

Room

Shower was broken !! Room cards did not work and toilet did not flush have stayed here many times always happy this was disappointing !! Did tell staff at hotel

I spent almost no time at the hotel. The location is great, I walked everywhere!
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Three things: a. A bulkhead half way across the window stopped the curtain from being closed this led to the room being lit up from the building across the street with no way to block the light. b. During my six day stay was that the key card to my room at some point, every day, stopped working and I had to get a replacement or re-coded card every day. c. Cleaning staff did not refill the complimentary tea/sweetners. Reception staff happily restocked, however this is something that should have been done during 'room servicing'.

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!! Front desk staff were really helpful where it came to technical instructions for things int he room - eg. turn aircon setting from heat to cool (there was no instruction).

A very comfortable stay
    • Premier King Room

We had considerable difficulty when accessing our room using the plastic card provided. It didn't always work and once I had to return to reception to get a new one. We found this to be quite frustrating.

Our room was large and pleasantly furnished. The king size bed was very much to our taste as it was firm enough and the bed linen was very crisp and luxurious. As for the hotel restaurant, the meal our family enjoyed was really excellent and I would definitely return as well as give a big thumbs up on quality, presentation as well as for the service.

Wonderful girls weekend away and a lovely place to stay & visit.
    • Three-Bedroom Apartment

There was nothing that I didn't like.

Apartment was perfect - spacious, beds were comfy, bathrooms were great size & apartment was very clean. Great view & location. Staff were very friendly, attentive & helpful. I would certainly stay here again and recommend to friends & family.

No Hot water!!
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Bath

We werent advised to book parking and we ran out of hot water when having a bath and we were not able to shower in the morning due to no hot water again.... We booked this room specifically because of the bath but did not get to enjoy it!

Everything was amazing other thsn the issue with hot water

Comfortable, classy and delicious
    • Queen Room

Signage on outside doors to help find my way back into the Hotel when out walking

Comfy bed, great pillows, gorgeous soap etc in a well-fitted bathroom

Intend to return for a longer weekend type of stay we had a lot of fun
    • Queen Room

No big deal but the under ground car park is a tad disjointed from the hotel but all good

Location and the room were brilliant So peaceful Would definitely return

Comfy stay for business trip
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Only issue was wait staff at the restaurant were quite inattentive even though they were polite. Look about 30mins just to order breakfast. After that the food came out reasonably quickly and was quite nice.

Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Comfy room had everything I needed. Parking available for a fee if you book in advance.

Very comfortable rooms.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Bath

Room entry card reader took a number of attempts to work each time.

Very comfortable rooms. Good gym. Located in an interesting area with lots of public art, restaurants and a cinema. Convenient access to walking and bike paths.

Thank you so much for being so accommodating.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Thank you so much for being so accommodating. My daughter and I were returning to Perth after a stay a few night before. The staff were happy to store our luggage whilst sight seeing and then allowing us to wait in bar area for our flight... I did enjoy a wine and my daughter a chai latte!! Thank you for helping us get to our flight and your staff are amazing... And very happy to help with a smile Tanz

2nd stay at Peppers Gallery Hotel
    • Queen Room

The bed could be just a bit softer but then again, so little to complain about.

Megan at the front Desk just goes out of her way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

Staff are friendly, rooms clean .
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The prices have gone up considerably Making my loyalty to this hotel evaporate. My numerous previous stays seemed to mean nothing !

Excellent location & with good facilities

Excellent, I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Canberra.
    • Premier King Room with Bath

We had some issues with the movies on demand freezing but the staff were very helpful and kind in dealing with this. The manager was understanding and resolved the problem instantly.

The staff were wonderful and went above and beyond during our stay here. Every time my partner and I have travelled to Canberra over the last 5 years, we always stay at Peppers and will continue to do so. The location is great, rooms are clean and staff are amazing.

Best positioned accommodation in central Canberra.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Vehicle parking costs. However, the best option for security.

Best positioned accommodation in central Canberra. The close choice of cafes, bars and restaurants in this precinct was beneficial.

Typical Canberra. A town like Tombstone Territory. A town too dead to die!
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Even though we had paid for secure parking, we were surprised to see there was no defined hotel parking on site. Arrival and departure were in a rush as the small Hotel entrance parking did not allow for easy parking to unload and load bags etc.

OK but doubtful we would return.
    • Premier King Room

Electronic Room door locks hopeless; had to change keys or call staff daily Black and dark room colours v depressing Cleanliness of room 6-7 out of ten Cobwebs in corners and dust build up

Reasonable but not what I had hoped for given the Peppers reputation.
    • Queen Room

Wifi was average at best, difficult to use on a mobile device- a little quicker on a laptop but still not reliable for work purposes if needed. My room was positioned immediately across from the lift/stairs. Very loud, could even hear hotel staff conversing outside my door. What was worse was the noise from above, sounded like they had roller doors of some sort (wardrobe maybe?) and I could hear every step. At night the light from the hall shone through not just the bottom of the door but the entire way so it was basically glowing. Day two neither of my cards would scan needing recalibration and I had reserved a carpark that I wasn’t provided a swipe for - it’s all small things but the inconveniences added up for me.

Staff were friendly and well presented. Comfortable bed and pillows. Good water pressure from the shower.

we had a fun and luxurious time
    • Queen Room

The free online movies wouldn't load and we got a parking ticket parking out the front of the hotel (which someone could have warned us about). I left my (cheap but sentimental value) earrings on the side table in the room and they were lost.

cheerful reception, lovely fresh sheets, nice smelling shampoo, interesting artwork, 24 hr reception, lots of interesting things in walking distance, nice gardens and the food was good.

Little bit of luxury.
    • Queen Room

I felt like the room was just a tad stuffy. The air con was good but sometimes I just feel like fresh outside breeze. Also I found the floor tiles in the shower were those large, shiny, marble-type ones and they were extremely slippery when wet. We didn't slip thankfully but use extreme caution, especially for small children.

Lovely luxurious room. Stunning bathroom with rain shower and lovely toiletries. The bed was wonderful-- really comfy and great pillows. The breakfast buffet was fantastic-- really great range of delicious stuff. The staff were really lovely and helpful.

Lovely hotel and the awesome New Acton quarter with a...
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Lovely hotel and the awesome New Acton quarter with a fabulous bakery, two cafes, a restaurant/bar and underground gin/whisky bar immediately next door. Fabulous!

A pleasant environment complimented with friendly and efficient service.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The towel hooks in the bathroom were loose also the tap although it was still functional. It would also be good to stick some Victorian beer as I assume you have many guests from there.

Clean. We enjoyed the convenience of the restaurant within the courtyard. Food and service there was great. Our room was cleaned daily.

Not a pleasant experience. I would not stay there again because of the parking.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Parking was a nightmare. On the web it says on-site parking but there is not enough parking for all guest, and what there was, was booked out. We had to park away from the hotel & keep going out to feed the parking meters. Not a pleasant experience. I would not stay there again.

Close to the city & points of interest

Not a bad experience but parking was disappointing.
    • Premier King Room

We had requested undercover parking at time of booking which came confirmed, but on arrival parking was not available and had to park on the street.

the room was very clean and the bed super comfortable.

Package fit for a king.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The staff and their professionalism. More variety on the continental breakfast.

Overal a good experience. The staff were exceptionally helpful and pleasant to deal with. They made the experience what it was.

Dissappointed
    • Queen Room

No parking, only booked spots, make sure you book spot. Had to park down the street somewhat. Room extremely small. No door on shower meant bathroom floor wet and slippery after. Gym not in same building. Place is like a rabbit warren and easy to get lost. Dodgy breakfast menu. $20 for some salami, cheese and toast, $30 if you want some tea or coffee with that. Or $30 for the big breakfast and help yourself to the salami and cheese. Dodgy.

Clean.

Even tho' we booked fairly late I felt we didn't really get value for money. Probably won't be back.
    • Premier King Room

Our room was very TIRED. The faded curtains on the window were unable to be closed due to the curtain rail having been pulled off the ceiling.This meant we had constant light shining into the room from street light. Bathroom fittings were of poor quality and several non functional. Breakfast menu very limited.

Room no was 139. Air conditioning was good, room quiet.

pleasant, comfortable, felt welcomed
    • Deluxe Queen Room

hangers in the wardrobe no pen in the room single use plastic products - use secure pump packs in the shower plastic bag liners in the bins especially if emptying daily plastic straws no towel robe

the staff were friendly, courteous, helpful and welcoming

Just ok.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Early checkout (4am) was difficult because my apartment key couldn't get me into the hotel/reception building, then the reception staff refused to bring the baggage trolley to my room to assist with my 4 large boxes until I went down and complained. The room was either hot or cold, even though I left the setting on 23 degrees our entire stay. The appartment was ok, but there were no photos of online so I didn't know what to expect, and only one bathroom, which was disappointing.

The Restaurant was good with a good selection.

Awesome weekend getaway
    • Queen Room

The bed was super comfortable and the linen was crisp and fresh. Room service excellent, meals ordered came within 20 mins of placing order and delicious.

Very enjoyable!
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The service at breakfast was not great, but the staff was very friendly.

The Hotel in general was exactly what we hoped for. Facilities were good. The bed & linen were great. Location perfect.

Don’t know that I’ll book here again. Nice enough, but the little things really let it down.
    • Queen Room

Mould in the shower Not a lot of space in the room SwipeKey was difficult to use to access the room The air con would either blast you with artic cold or barely work. And it blew straight onto the bed no matter how much I tried to adjust it.

Nice staff Convinent location

Would stay again. Secure parking available.
    • Queen Room

Bike cafe over 1hour wait for breakfast. Next cafe along excellent food and service.

Very quiet location. Easy walk to lake and park. Palace cinema complex next street so best location for French film festival.

Relaxation getaway
    • Queen Room

The pillow support weren't that good

Raphael and (I forget the other lady's name) were welcoming and even suggested I signed up as a member to receive a free drink at their bar on site! Love the service and also the young lady in training from Holand was a gem! She went out of her way to make sure I was looked after. She even helped me locate my room upong arrival. I did get lost at the start 😏

Handy location. Comfortable rooms.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Have stayed here a few times. On arrival they never say “ welcome back” Each check in I am treated as first time visitor. Being charged credit card fee —who carries cash?

Food in restaurant is very good but you must make dinner reservation for table. Cinema across the road. Walking distance to Canberra theatre

Would not stay here again.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Walls are paper thin. House keeping don't understand what the "do not disturb" sign on your door means. Shower screen was a curtain. The bathroom floor flooded. Became very slippy. Room decor is still from the Diamant. Looks dated and shabby.

beds and pillows in the apartment were very comfortable
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

at check-in the guy was really condescending rude! at checkout - the girls were lovely and helpful!

beds and pillows in the apartment were very comfortable

A comfortable and relaxing stay at a well located property.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Bath

I was delighted with Peppers as it was everything I needed and wanted for my short stay. The staff were helpful and knowledgeable. I have rated the location as excellent as I needed to be quite close to ANU.

Modern and comfortable hotel
    • Premier King Room

The main courses of the evening meal at the restaurant were a disappointment. Ingredients listed ( king prawns and scallops) were not included and the spaghetti was not fully cooked. The suckling pig cutlet was tough and overcooked.

Modern and comfortable hotel

Perfect
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Everything was just as I would want it, particularly after a long days travel. The restaurants nearby were an additional bonus. I walked 2 minutes one way for the finest meal I've had in years and it was the same the next night but in the opposite direction!

The rooms are beautiful and comfortable and modern.
    • Queen Room

The breakfast didn't seem worth the $20 when we checked it out so we chose to eat breakfast at a local cafe. But this is a very minor complaint!

The rooms are beautiful and comfortable and modern. The hotel is a 15 minute walk to the city center and close driving distance to all the major sites. The bed was so comfortable and we really liked the later (11am) checkout time. The woman working the front desk was so wonderful and let us store our luggage for 4 hours after we checked out until our ride came and got us. She also printed some papers for us. The onsite restaurant, bicicleta, was fantastic. Really great pizzas! Even though we were on the ground floor near an exit, the room was very quiet!

Up to the usual high standard

not enough power points

recognition of repeat business; cleanliness (last time the room smelled of smoke and they took that on board). The location is almost unbeatable.

Good facilities, room is decent sized and shower is nice and...
    • Queen Room

It was a bit of a maze to find the room as there are no room labels. But once you knew where you were going it was fine.

Good facilities, room is decent sized and shower is nice and roomy

Hard working but friendly staff
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Despite the efforts of staff the keycard to our room was a persistent issue, no matter how slowly or quickly we used it, it never worked first time. limited eating facilities in the room, coffee machine was nice, but we could have done with a couple of plates or saucers etc

Hard working but friendly staff

A great night's sleep
    • Deluxe Queen Room

I couldn't open any of the windows so needed to keep the air-conditioning on overnight which made the room rather cool. It took me a while to find out how to switch off the light near the wardrobe (tip: it's under the unit by the door in which a copy of the room access card is inserted). The shower head being high up and non-adjustable meant that my hair got wet when I showered, not so good just before stepping out into the cool night air.

My room was very quiet and the bed was very comfortable. There's a great range of channels on the TV.

Overall we were very pleased & would choose to stay with you again. The staff were great! bery good
    • Queen Room

No cereals or the standard continental breakfast - e.g. with a fruit plate available on room service.

We had a disabled room & there was everything there to make our stay very easy & comfortable

Quirky, comfortable, lovely facilities.
    • Queen Room

Location great for business meetings, a little away from cafes and restaurants but only a 10 min walk to cafes and bars off Northbourne.

Bright modern decor, in-room coffee pod machine, and my favourite Apelles toiletries!

comfortable
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The food was delicious, except the King Prawn past did not have e a single king prawn in the dish. We pointed this out to the staff and were offered 2 free drinks, which was very nice, however would have preferred the king prawns.

Excellently located 36 hours in the capital, walked to dinner, breakfast and art exhibition.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

We were on a room facing palace cinema and while the bathroom had frosted glass on the bottom half, the bedroom didn't so we had to keep the blind down. Would have thought frosted was the go there. There was a pavement straight out the window and people walking by.

The wallpaper on the room. The sense of the individual in terms of taste. They had achieved a special interior without being bland with palette or fitout.

I would stay at this Peppers again
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The large bathroom door while looking great felt a little unsubstantial and insecure, a little tricky to open and close, a minor detail where style bows to practicality.

The reception staff were reallywelcoming and on the ball. The room was larger than I anticipated and the decor and arrangement were superbly stylish. I was very refreshingly surprised by the high standards of the hotel.

Beautifully appointed rooms, helpful staff.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Beautifully appointed rooms, helpful staff. Easy 10-15 min walk from where the Sydney coach drops off. This was one of the cheapest accommodations for our dates so was surprised to see how lovely it was. Some lovely restaurants nearby. Would stay again.

Excellent value hotel that is an oasis in the middle of busy Canberra
    • Queen Room

Not the fault of the hotel however it is a little tricky to find - essentially you have to take the 'side' street to Marcus Clark Drive.

Everything I needed was there - car parking (only $15 extra); somewhere nice to enjoy a night-cap when I arrived late and a lovely Italian breakfast on the terrace the next morning. The bed was very comfortable and there were free movies to watch (as well as latest one's you could pay for). Particularly helpful were the reception staff.