Reviews of Perouse Lodge 4 stars

6 Perouse Road, Randwick, 2031 Sydney, Australia

#118 of 306 hotels in Sydney

Weekend away
    • Small Double Room

Price, would not of been able to afford any extra nights.

Loved the location, however coming from the country I found it slightly expensive. Otherwise brilliant location.

Would stay again

Lacked face washers. Receptionist had little local knowledge and didn't seem to know much about credit card surcharges

Location and room Offsite parking was no problem probably because it was over Sat/Sun.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Rooms were really nice good value

Doors were noisy other rooms closing could be heard loudly, no parking or even drop off luggage area had to walk a few blocks with a lot of luggage

Rooms were really nice good value

Room 102 was very noisy for the two nights that we stayed!
    • Queen Room

Room 102 was very noisy for the two nights that we stayed! I did ask for a upper room when I booked. It was next door to the lift so all night long we heard people talking outside the lift. We did ask to change the next day but there was a charge so we stayed for one more night

Location of the property was perfect as it was only around...
    • Queen Room

Location of the property was perfect as it was only around 5-10 mins walk to the UNSW. Lots of restaurants around and bus stops nearby. Also available near to the lodge are convenience stores.

Overall a nice place to stay in a lovely old suburb but needs some money spending on maintenance.

Carpet needed a good vacuum. Paid $100 extra for 2 children to stay n our apartment on the sofa bed, which seemed expensive. Crockery missing from cupboards. Showers in 2 out of three rooms leaked out onto the bathroom floor. No extra blankets in smaller rooms.

Close to the hospital and fairly quiet. Friendly staff and nice decor. Enjoyed the kitchen facilities.

I was surprised by how big the room and bathroom were.
    • Small Double Room

The room was below street level and there was not much natural light or the option to open the window for fresh air. Luckily it was very cold and wet outside so it wasn't required anyway.

I was surprised by how big the room and bathroom were. I was expecting a smaller room. Very clean and comfortable and would definitely stay again. Well located too.

Better than Expected

Parking around the spot is hard to find close to the hotel even to drop of gear.

Lovely decor, room, better than expected on all counts. Also nice to have laundry room and kitchen.

Stylish smartly decorated room which had been recently...
    • Queen Room

Stylish smartly decorated room which had been recently refurbished. Clean and tidy, compact but fine for a short stay! Close to transport and many good restaurants.

Very happy with our stay as always
    • Small Double Room

only a minor detail, the position of the shelf above the hand basin does not leave a lot of room when using the basin.

Have stayed here several times now, still one of my favourite places to stay. The excellent Café next door is an added bonus.

I really liked the location but was disappointed in the room.
    • Small Double Room

I booked the small double room which was okay but the bathroom was way too compact. I couldn't reach the sink to clean my teeth, etc as the mirror/shelf was too close to the sink. After being out all day I returned to my room to find the door ajar. When I left in the morning I had put a "do not disturb" sign on the door and I know I pulled the door shut as I double-checked it. I informed the Receptionist who was going to speak to the cleaning staff about it.

Good location, close to city, UNSW, and beach.

I can only fault the comfort ofthe bed.
    • Queen Room

Our bed was very uncomfortable,the mattress was well past its used date. The only fault with our accommodation, but a big fault.

Close location to hospitals and restaurants.

Clean, good location, functional accommodation
    • Queen Room

Rooms are basically furnished, but sufficient for a few nights.

Clean, functional, friendly and accommodating staff. Close to Sydney Children's Hospital. Close to beaches.

Everything was great!
    • Queen Room

Our only negative this time was the bar fridge didn't seem to be working very well, we have stayed many times previously and this has been the only negative.

Everything was great! Great location always very clean and comfortable! Perouse Lodge is Value for money!

Excellent location.
    • Small Double Room

Excellent location. Public transport at your door. Friendly and helpful staff. Reception open at times stated. Room clean and comfortable. Plenty of towels. I have stayed here multiple times and would recommend Perouse Lodge.

I was visiting a family member at Prince of Wales Hospital so the location was perfect.
    • Small Double Room

A few areas not so clean. Bathroom door and the shower needs bleaching. Inside of cupboard needed cleaning.

Staff were friendly and helpful. I was able to leave my small suitcase in storage before and after my stay.

We will stay there again .
    • Queen Room with No Housekeeping

We would have appreciated fresh towels daily . We do understand though that our stay was over a weekend .

The close proximity to the Kaffe downstairs ---- good for breakfast . The ease of a lift , the security , the general cleanliness . The location , for us , was ideal .

never again, there are many better lodges around Randwick
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

room service removed all the towels from the room after the first night and didn't leave any clean ones. when we returned home in the evening and rang to ask for new towels we were told it would cost us $50 to have clean towels delivered to the room.

We needed to be in Randwick & the property was ideally...

Nothing to dislike

We needed to be in Randwick & the property was ideally located to shops, restaurants etc. Good coffee in the cafe located on the premises.

It would have been wonderful if the room had a view or a...
    • Queen Room

It would have been wonderful if the room had a view or a balcony instead of looking out onto a wall, but realise the location does not allow for this.

Perouse lodge is an amazing place that I couldn’t recommend higher.

The only thing I didn’t like was that we couldn’t stay longer 😂

The staff were amazing. They remembered me from when I stayed there two months prior which was only for one night. This time I stayed for 4 nights and everyday I was greeted by the lovely staff, they gave us everything we asked for straight away (extra towels, sugar etc) and I honestly couldn’t rate them high enough. These two trips were due to needing to be at POWH but we will be heading back there for a holiday just because we want to stay there again.

Very disappointed. For 2 years in a row the receptionist has been unhelpful, surly & rude.
    • Small Double Room

I asked for 3 rooms with 2 singles in each. I got 3 rooms with double beds. They provided an extra blanket to each room so 1 person could sleep on the floor. 2 of us are over 60 with medical conditions. I was not impressed. We won’t be booking there again.

This is a nice hotel in a convenient location.
    • Small Double Room

I had a room on the ground floor which has no carpet in the corridor and it was a bit noisy with people coming and going and banging doors. Perhaps the hotel could put up a sign saying "please be respectful of people trying to sleep". The upper floor(s) might be quieter. The bathroom was super tiny and the shower recess allowed water to run out over the floor. There was very little space in the bathroom to put anything, and it was difficult trying to use the hairdryer in such a cramped space. The kettle was a bit old and leaked a bit when you poured the water. It was fine for one night.

This is a nice hotel in a convenient location. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was good. It was nice to be able to open the window although the deadlock did not seem to work which was a bit of a worry from a security point of view. La Perouse Road has lots of great cafes and restaurants within a very short walking distance. It was convenient and clean.

for one night, it was ideal, I wouldn't spend a week in there.
    • Queen Room

There was no where to put my bag except the floor. The bathroom was so tiny to get in and out of the shower the shower door either hit the shower head or the entry door. Water went everywhere and the washer on the shower head needs some attention as it pointed at the wall the whole time.

I liked the space of the room.

Perfect for short stays in the area, though somewhat pricey for what you get.

Ah.. well it was a bit noisy yes but don't think it can be helped. Particularly was confused with the size and design of bathroom :) it made me feel as if I were in a hospital ward -- large and strange. I didn't get an ironing board but probably could have asked for it.

It was a nice, clean place. Would probably expect something better but well it is more than enough for a single night stay.

Great start to my holiday.

The only suggestion I would make is perhaps leaving a bottle of water for guests. I was exhausted when I arrived and too tired to go out and buy one. It's a small gesture, but often a much needed one.

Lovely comfy bed, very clean modern bathroom, good air con. I slept exceptionally well. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. Couldn't have been easier. Location is ideal, right beside a bus stop (not too far to central) and lots of nice restaurants and shops. Felt like a safe area too. I particularly liked the cafe that is literally under the hotel. The staff were so lovely, and I had a fantastic breakfast there each day. Really good coffee! All in all, an excellent start to my holiday.

Staff very helpful left my Hard drive behind they searched...

Staff very helpful left my Hard drive behind they searched hi and low found it and held on to it till was able to pick it up, highly recommend staying here

The worst hotel I have stayed in for a very long time
    • Lower Ground Room

The room was so small you could not swing a cat in it especially the bathroom. The toilet space was so small that it rendered it almost useless. There was rising damp in the walls. Room 113.

The bed

• Small Double Room

The room could have been cleaner - dirty fridge and hair/marks in bathroom. Walls and doors need a clean due to scuff marks.

Great location to shops, hospital, public transport, beach and all other amenities. The room was quiet and very comfortable bed.

Good for a short stay and close to all amenties
    • Queen Room

Room size was small and the windows were tiny also.

It was good, however, the basic rooms were quite small and there was no where to put your bag - ok for 1 person, however 2 would have been very tight. Very clean and quiet. Good for a couple of nights and great location- I liked the washing machine facilities and the staff were very helpful - cafe at the front made the mornings easy

Quiet location but rooms too cosy
    • Small Double Room

Rooms and bathrooms too small. Really only accommodate 1 person. Insufficient room to open 2 suitcases. Flies/insects in Room 211 from bathroom drain. Requested linen change and was told this would incur a $50 fee - this should already be included in room rate as is the case with most hotels.

Quiet Location

Good option for one night stay, great location near good restaurants

No ironing facilities, bath towels way to small for an adult. The main issue with this place is the noise from adjoining rooms, which given its an older building you kind of have to expect. That said if you are a light sleeper, you wont enjoy this place.

I stayed in a King Room which was nothing extra special, the room was a reasonable size, bed was comfortable, bathroom was a good size but mould on the shower curtain and a small wash basin was dissapointing.

Clean “I just sleep here” walking distance from beach.
    • Queen Room

Well it’s really just bed and shower. If your bag is large there is literally no space to open it on the floor. Also there is constant luminescence and sound from outside, so earplugs and head cover necessary for deep sleep.

Ultra clean. Efficient AC.

Small rooms but good price in hip neighborhood

The rooms at this hotel are smaller than average, but they are clean and modern. The hotel is situated in a hip, artsy neighborhood near Coogee Beach. It was an easy walk to several restaurants, shopping and the beach.

A conveniently located, clean comfy space.

But the bathroom needs space to put you toiletries etc. A couple of shelves, or a bench.

Bed was comfy. Room was very clean Staff were friendly. Common areas smelt nice, clean not musty

Overpriced for what was offered
    • Lower Ground Room

40 plus Rooms and only 2 car parking spaces. Nowhere to park car in street ended up Km’s away Stayed two nights and did not change the bed. Left used cups unwashed. No Iron in room. For $175 per night excepted tha above as standard

Room was quiet

Little concern expressed by the front desk over our rooms window not closing resulting in a noisy 4 night stay from the main road and pub next door. I will avoid staying here again if possible as the service at the front desk was impersonal and after the window exchange I’d rather pay more elsewhere when my wife needs to be at the hospital. Disappointed.

• Small Double Room

Room was extremely small - was a double room but would have struggled to have 2 people and 2 small bags in the room. Door to bathroom very heavy- older person would have struggled to open door.

Coogee stay Feb 18

Didn't realise there was a lot of places to eat on the same street ...we head down to beachfront area and food was more expensive than those close by (Should be supporting local!)

The bed was superb & all of room/bathroom quite clean

Wouldn't stay there again
    • Small Double Room

The small double room is too tiny! The bathroom was nearly non- existent. Can't even wash my face in the sink without knocking my head on the vanity and spilling water everywhere.

The location of the lodge is awesome and room is clean with comfortable bed.

A comfortable stay in a great location.

The rooms and bathrooms are not particularly spacious, but good for the price.

We have stayed here previously and it is excellent value for the location.

Convenient location and very clean and tidy with friendly staff.
    • Lower Ground Room

There is not a lot that I didn't like, the evening that I stayed there the Café and bar were not open.

The Lodge was conveniently located to where I had my meetings. It was very clean and tidy and quiet for the location. There CBD was a few hundred metres from the lodge and there were plenty of restaurants and hotels within walking distance. Also not to far from the beaches

Average. Could have been better.
    • Small Double Room

The bathroom wasn't that clean. There were hairs on towels and bed sheets. There were mugs and a kettle in the cupboard / closet for making tea which I didn't end up using because they weren't clean.

Good location close to restaurants and 30 minute walking distance to Coogee beach and shops. Staff were helpful.

Location & Comfort

Forgot my key one night. It was after 10 at night as I arrived at the closed doors. Cost me 50 $ to get someone to come and open up for me.

There is a coffee shop / restaurant across from the reception are. Great Cappuccino! Location: relatively close to the beach, but also just a bus trip away from downtown... Loved the room with flatscreen Tv and the bathroom, especially the shower.

Very good stay, not expensive, clean, close to amenities, free wifi, helpful front-desk!
    • Queen Room

I read a review here that said it was about 10mins from UNSW. It is a 10mins walk to the entrance of UNSW and another 10mins walk to Business School at UNSW, so there was heaps of walking to uni everyday, but I looked forward to going back to the room each day though.

I was really worried before my stay since some others had really bad reviews, but I had a really good stay. I had a very comfortable Queen room on the 2nd floor, the room was cleaned everyday with new towels, very fast free wifi, had 5000mb for my stay which didn't run out, air-con worked well and front desk arranged for easy early check-out and booked a cab for me to get to airport! It was also within walking distance of restaurants and amenities without being noisy at night and I didn't hear much noise when my tv was on. There was also a direct public bus from the airport!

Made my medical visit so less stressing.

i was having a heart op and travelled from the far north coast and staff was so helpful with giving me directions etc even before i arrived telling what transport and the cost etc.

Everything I'd hoped for, great value, lovely staff and very convenient.
    • Queen Room

I was lucky to get one of the 2-3 car parks underneath. I can't complain, but is there an arrangement with Wilson parking to be able to park there when full? After the long tiring trip down from Orange, it was nice to know I could park the car and it was safe somewhere.

I loved the proximity to the conference I was attending at UNSW and the morning walk to Coogee beach topped it off. Cafe downstairs was excellent and friendly, pub next door was convenient and served good meals. I liked the laundry and kitchen options downstairs.

If I have to come up here again I will gladly stay there.
    • Small Double Room

The bathroom is to small, the hand sink is to close the the shelf, while brushing my teeth I could not fit my head under the shelf or fit my very small face in the sink arias, almost got tooth past all over the floor. Shower is a little small, bend down and you body hit the wall.

Shower head was good, but to big for the shower, it became a littl hot and I could not step out from under the hot water without hitting a very cold wall.

Excellent location.
    • Small Double Room

Excellent location. Easily accessed by public transport offering travel to any area of Sydney. Comfortable bed with all required amenities to hand within the room.

Great location with easy access to restaurants and public transport
    • Queen Room

View of the brick wall next to us No full length hanging space Room very small - we weren't in it all day so not a big issue for us

Great location with shops restaurants and public transport all close. Small basic room and bathroom were clean comfortable and air conditioned ( you can individually control your room temperature and on a hot weekend this was great)

The location is great and AC was awesome
    • Lower Ground Room

There is no parking, street parking is 3 hour parking which is just too frustrating when you’re trying to get out and see things in Sydney.

The location is great and AC was awesome

Great area, clean and comfortable.

The access to kitchen (specifically the microwave) which was only available in the basement before 10 PM.

The area and proximity to services and the CBD.

Good base to see Sydney
    • Small Double Room

My room had a beautiful view of a brick wall and was a bit small

Its in a great location for transport to cuty and beaches. Goot restaurants nearby at the spot too

Wifi terrible.
    • Queen Room

Staff not knowing anything about parking! Informed that it was ok to park outside without restriction which it was not. Managed to avoid fine as we double checked info and moved car. Others were not that Lucky Wifi terribly slow. Slowest I ever come across.

Had a very pleasant stay. Will stay again when in Sydney
    • Queen Room

Everything you needed was there. Facilities were very good. 10min walk to the beach/10min walk to pubs and bars. Bus stop 1 min walk up the street.

Couldn’t wait to leave
    • Lower Ground Room

Basement room Could hear the lift talking all night Other guests foot steps echoed above during the night Bathroom was tiny Finding a park was very difficult Can see why it was cheap Will never stay there again

Good value for money near cogee beach
    • Queen Room

Unfortunately there is no restaurant inside the hotel and the breakfast can not be included in the room rate.

It is very near to bus stop. The bus service to go to the city center is very good. Kindness of the staff: they allow to store the luggage after check out. The room is clean and with all the needed facilities

Not happy with underground room !
    • Lower Ground Room

Had to park a block away & carry luggage to lodge !!😣 Toilet tooo close to shower & up two steps in dark !!! Exiting lift first thing I noticed carpet was dirty needed good vacuum! Bathroom floor not clean Water Mark on ceiling above bed. Looked out only window to brick wall to an alley with rubbish.

Bed was comfy Lodge close to cafes 😁

Poor choice

The place didn't have water or ice machine , the toilet looks like a hostel toilet , I literally felt like I got a private room in a hostel but paying price of a 4 star hotel ! Simply horrible

Location was great

Rooms were clean!

No parking and hotel was located on a busy street. Not notified by Perouse of the street parking being a clearway - Received a fine!!! (+ clearway signs werent understood by non residents - red abbreviated signs are also difficult to read at night). Bathroom was very compact- too small. Air conditioner didnt work.

Rooms were clean!

don't count on their internet connection
    • Queen Room

INTERNET, INTERNET, INTERNET. I logged into the wifi network with my cell phone and laptop and when I tried to use my tablet it did not work informing me that I have already used the max number of devices! When I checked with them they told me that you can only connect two devices to the wifi network which is strange. Thank god I was alone otherwise we would have had big problems especially that now days everyone has at least 2-3 devices that they want to connect to the internet. Then there is the problem of download limit which was just 500M! None of these were informed in advance so you basically found out about them as soon as you faced the problem. The limit on the download and also the number of devices is stupid keeping in mind that I had better internet conditions on my flight to Australia. Plan well in advance otherwise you will have problems like I did and had to postpone an important meeting until I was able to find a good internet connection.

The place was clean and easy to find with rather new looking furniture.

Convenient, comfortable, clean, friendly and on a great street.
    • Queen Room

Would be better with a train station closer but the buses are easy. Overall nothing else could be improved.

A lot of space in the bedroom and a good sized bathroom. Clean with good light through the big windows. Comfortable bed with well placed television. Close to public transport and on an excwllent street for food and entertainment.

Great location, friendly staff, but noisy place and cramped rooms.
    • Small Double Room

I was on the ground floor, and the walls are paper thin. I could hear others talking and could hear whenever people came back to the lodge when they'd open the front door and press the elevator button. Maybe an upper level floor would have been better?

Great location!! 15 min walk to Coogee Beach. Staff were super friendly!

Did the job nothing more nothing less.
    • Lower Ground Room

I was on lower ground and I could hear foot steps above at all hours of the day. I didn't mind as much but had I have known I probably wouldn't have chosen lower ground. I also locked myself out of my room and due to there not being any staff from after a certain point in evening I wasn't able to get assistance until next day. I was lucky because my dad was staying in another room but had he not i would have had no where to sleep. Also bottles of water in the room also would have been a nice addition.

Rooms were nice, clean and comfy, size was good, however bathroom a little squashie in our second room. Beds were comfortable. Hotel in a great location.

Clean.

Required to leave a copy of photo ID at check-in. Happy to show it, but I strongly object to having a copy taken in this day of identity theft. Even airlines do not take copies.

Clean. Convenient location.

Comfortable room, bed, lots of pillows, fairly clean, good...
    • Small Double Room

Wifi on open network, no secured network, leaking shower, toilet slightly smelly, brick wall as a view, staff ordinary, wanting to get rid of you quickly.

Comfortable room, bed, lots of pillows, fairly clean, good lighting, location convenient, short walk to the beach and to cafes

All great but as a business person - the false advert for...

All great but as a business person - the false advert for " free wifi" is ridiculous. The download was used so quickly.. no other country still has such archaic things. I watched some NetFlix.. and then " out of data" .. this is like being in the 1980s.. and was a really frustrating part of the visit - especially when all the marketing was free wi fi and the reason I stayed with you. This would stop me from staying again as I have work to do while I travel.. and just want no hassle free wifi. Everything else was brilliant..

Lovely place to stay

Not a property issue however - due to roadwork at the moment for the light-rail it took me nearly an hour to get from here to the CBD in the mornings which is crazy - but was much faster coming back in the afternoon. Definitely a great place to stay if you are working/needing to be that side of Sydney as the property is just lovely.

I was extremely surprised with this hotel. I booked it very last minute and was so impressed with the facilities, room cleanliness and how quiet it was. If you are working in Randwick this is a great place to stay. Supermarkets, shopping and great dining options are so close by. Transport is pretty much at your door and the staff are friendly.

Great overnite stay in Randwick for the races.

A luggage stand to have our bag off the bed or floor -

Presentation of the room - bed linen fresh and bright - well made bed - simple - modern - understated room - well presented. Proximity to great cafes and restaurants - a lot to choose from.

Brief stopover in Sydney near the University
    • Small Double Room

There's not much space for the luggage.

Everything's clean and very friendly stuff. Good option for a short stay in the standard double room for two.

Will return

The shower leaked a bit so the floor was wet and the fact that there was no parking wasn't ideal.

Location was great to attend Randwick Races. We could have walked but a bus was just outside which took us to the races for free (included in our ticket to the races). Nice eateries around. Nice easy place to get to.

I started watching a movie and 10minutes into in the...
    • Small Double Room

I started watching a movie and 10minutes into in the internet stopped working. I went to reception and they said my allowance had ended. I stay here most weekends and pay a lot of money each time for a room. I expect unlimited internet.

Nice, clean and tidy, other than this a shocking experience.
    • Lower Ground Room

I was spending the night with my wife, we hadn't seen each other for 1 month. I booked the double room and when I pulled back the covers (after being there 5 minutes) to lay down found that it was 2 single beds joined together. This created a divide in the bed and a great hard spot right up the centre of the bed. I don't normally complain but hadn't seen my wife in 1 month and wanted this Night to be special. I went to reception without delay and explained my situation but nothing was done. I don't think this guy has been trained in customer service. Dosent this company realise that it was them that falsely advertised a double bed?! All I wanted was a room with a bed without a divide. And nothing was done, the guy even told me that if I was to change rooms I would have to pay for both. Even though I had only been in the room for 10 minutes. Because of my experience I will never return to this Hotel.

The cleanliness of the hotel

Room was nice, large and clean.
    • Lower Ground Room

Room was very noisy. We could hear rooms above us, people walking down hallway, having showers etc. Not very relaxing. Bathroom was very Small.

Room was nice, large and clean.

Absolutely Awesome !!!

Well, not , as a complaint but I did forget to mention there was something going on with the heater there one of the nights it got a bit cool and I couldn't seem to get it working. But that could've also been me too, not knowing how to work it probably.😄 But all good I just went to bed anyway and I was fine. However you may wish to check the heating in the unit for a possible malfunction.😊

I was happy with it all really, and the service was very friendly, helpful and professional.