Reviews of Plum Serviced Apartments Carlton 3 stars

528 Swanston Street, Carlton, 3000 Melbourne, Australia

#306 of 474 Holiday rentals in Melbourne

• Studio Apartment

we had our son in hospital, who had had a motorcycle accident. and when suddenly needed extra nights staff were very helpful, when we told them why they changed our room so as it was quiter and let us leave the car there even when we had checked out, no carpark charges for the extra nights

• One-Bedroom Apartment

So dirty and unclean, uncomfortable. We booked a King size bed and got a double bed, which was not comfy at all. Felt very dirty and not nice. The springs in the couch were almost coming out, everything felt old and didn’t look anything like the pictures on the site.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

I wasnt aware that the room wasn't serviced over the weekend. The smoking area is filthy. And a hint to all guests, chesck that the air conditioner and tv works.

Good waiting area for pick up

• Studio Apartment

Can i list 100 things!!! Dirty walls windows. Furniture either damage or broken. Heater did not work. Room was literly filthy. 2 night stay and I walked out without a refund as they refused even though I would let my dog stay in the room.

Nothhing

• Studio Apartment

Even with the windows closed, the street noise was very loud at night. Found it hard to sleep consistently

Clean, tidy, good size room, opening windows for fresh air.

• Studio Apartment

Bed was terribly uncomfortable. Heater didn't work, especially important in Melbourne on a cold night. There was no extra blankets despite the heater not working. Unable to log into wifi. Fair walk from anywhere. Difficult to find entrance. Wasn't made aware the building was being renovated when I booked and arrived having to go up and down the fire escape with my luggage. The lights inside the room were very dim making it difficult to do any paperwork. Smokers in the courtyard with the smoke coming straight into my window, the only window.

Bathroom was clean. Complimentary toiletries. Opening window.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Some people staying in building slamming doors and letting kids stomp around but that's no unusual

Great location, lots to eat and drink close buy, 10min walk to centre of Melbourne,tram stop 2min walk.

• Studio Apartment

The room was nicer in the picture's on the internet and looked bigger the bed wasnt that comfie and the blinds were tacky i had the street light come straight through thd blind onto my face while trying to sleep i couldnt do anything about it had a sleepless night before my day of surgery. The parking fee is a bit over priced aswell.

I liked how close to the hospital it was for my surgery

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Partner bit by spider first night under the sheets. ALL dishes were dirty upon arrival. The one frying pan had huge bits of chicken still burnt on to it, we had to wash or scrub everything before use. Didn't know about wifi until 2 days before departure. Tele had 2 channels. Construction started at 7:31 am with metal saws shaking the room until 9:00. Corridor smelled of smoke, fish and soup for the entire visit. Value is only in the location, there are many better options, almost all of them, for the same price paid.

Some good staff, aside from cleaners. Location is really great.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

There was no mention of the hotel lobby being completely under construction prior to booking. There was a large, horrible stain on the sheets (top and bottom) leading me to believe that the set hadn't been changed after the last occupant, just re-made with the same sheets. Pretty confronting and revolting. The blinds, walls and carpets were all shabby, dusty and dirty.

The bathroom was clean.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Air con did not reach bedroom.

Good comfortable priced room in a great location. Suited our requirements well.Staff were excellent with service and friendly attitude.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

We arrived at 3:30am in the morning. The concierge, lady in charge, lets just call her legend kept in touch with us during our 9 hour trip was downstairs to meet us and check us in. Escorted us to our room and made our trip AWESOME. All your other staff were friendly and courteous. Well done Plum Apartments, great staff.

• Studio Apartment

Aircon was noisy and didnt seem to work very well. Was muggy and warm all night. Hallways smelled like strong strong curry. Rolled my ankle on uneven surfaces in the foyer due to construction work.

Central location, lots of available off street parking, apartment amenities if cooking etc. Staff were helpful and polite

• Studio Apartment

Location was the only Downfall for me, but I chose to stay there (so that was my fault) only thing was the AirCon Heater, didn’t actually heat was only very very warm air when I turned it to hot

Room/apartment was great size, bed was very comfortable, and was clean throughout, checkin/checkout was quick and efficient. Staff were friendly

• Deluxe Apartment

Internal room air conditioner noisy. We could turn it off as the weather was great. If a hot or cold day the noise might put you off. Note this has been mentioned before. Just being picky, only a suggestion, maybe a two way light switch for the switch as you enter the room, with the another on/off switch near the bed.

Location great. Easy to walk or catch a tram to anywhere in the Melbourne precinct Close to great food on Lygon St.

• Studio Apartment

There was construction work going on in the reception area which woke me up one morning, but I think it is finished now. The lock on the door didn't seem very secure and I didn't see a safe in the room, but I didn't really feel unsafe or have any problems.

After a very last minute cancellation by Boutique cbd Apartment on Elizabeth Street (as in I turned up to check in and they told me they didn't have the key!), Plum Serviced Apartments Carlton took me in with no hassle. The room was a good size and clean with everything I needed - I also noticed that the provided toiletries weren't tested on animals! The location was great - within walking distance or a short tram ride of most of the places I wanted to visit in Melbourne.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Clearly used as student accommodation. It wasn't noisey but the smell in the corridor and room was terrible. The water in the shower went cold a majority of the time and there was some damage to the walls the carpet and stains on the couch. We expected budget accommodation, but the smell particularly was a big shock.

Location was good.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

The seat cushions didn't come off couch and we couldn't wash it. Aircon unit a bit noisy

Currently under renovation so carpet removed and one lift reserved for tradesmen.

• Studio Apartment

The double bed is literally two single beds combined into one. So if you have a kid who is planning to sleep in the middle, it wouldn’t be too comfortable for them because they will probably feel the gap in the middle.

The room was pretty comfortable. It has everything I needed. Location was perfect, very near to unimelb, trams, RMIT, Victoria markets, and everywhere you need to be. The kitchenette was equipped with all the proper pots/pans, utensils and cutleries you will need!

• Studio Apartment

Hi, we didnt like that we didnt have a car park available for our stay and hadnt been told that we would have had to book this separately. The website didnt specify, it just stated carparking available and not the need for us to book one. We wanted to be near a tram but the noise of trams all night was very annoying. The noise from the construction site across the roads particularly from 7.30am both mornings was very annoying.

the location was good in regards to Lygon street restaurants and our trip to Hamer Hall on Saturday night.

See above

Fridge was open and defrosting when I came in. There were wet towels in the fridge. The milk in the fridge seemed to be new and old so all should be replaced when a new guest comes. The air con was terribly noisy. There was no dustpan and brush.

• Studio Apartment

The air-conditioner doesn't cool the room and is totally inefficient, The shower drain had hairs of previous guests in it.

Location is great, trams at your door, walking distance to Lygon St and the CBD. Bed was comfy.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Firstly the lock on the door was loose. Secondly the bathroom was cramped and small. Third no spare blankets. 4 there was damage to the room like no make up mirror on the wall but the fixtures for and a iron mark on the floor, marks on all the walls. Lastly I couldn't find the coffee or tea or was offered the WiFi at the desk. My last complaint is that booking said that the bond would be 50% of the room cost it was almost equal to the room cost.

The room was okay the aircon was on when I arrived. location was good for what I needed.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Air conditioning loud, dark room as very poor lighting, bed hard as a rock, tv small and no remote, dvd player didn't work, far too much furniture in a small space, most of the washing machines didn't work.

Excellent location,tram at door and a short walk to the city, supermarket close by, facilities in room average, staff very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Studio Apartment

Toliet bathroom bit cramped to navigate together, they don't do a late late check out. The room I had was quite old but for the price still good.

Great staff, reasonably close to city, comfortable bed, extended check out till 11am. Good price.

• Studio Apartment

Bit noisy at night but that settled

I thought the young man at reception (I think his name was Deaken) was very helpful, engaging. A delight to have such a young man to greet you.

• Deluxe Apartment

It was a super hot day and we didn’t arrive until late in the evening. The room was hot and the air conditioner struggled to cool the room down.

Bed was super comfty, room was quiet and well appointed. Great value for the price!

• One-Bedroom Apartment

The air conditioning unit was a old one and took a while to cool the unit.

We were allocated a apartment facing a main road it was very noisy, next morning the staff at our request moved us to a apartment at back of building facing a inner courtyard which was very quiet.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Quite crumpled up claustrophobic design of the building. Looks like a huge fire risk! No exit space on our wing of the corridor. In case of fire would have to go past the lifts to the other side for the stairs....but in case the fire is in our wing............only God can save us!!

location was the only thing I liked about Plum.

• Studio Apartment

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Accommodation was very clean and bed comfortable. It was quiet apart from air conditioner. Very convenient location, close to trams, market and Lygon Street for amazing food.

• Deluxe Apartment

It was pretty hot in Melbourne when we visited and the air conditioner in the room was an older model and a bit louder than hoped! We managed okay but had the air con on 24 hours a day due to the heat and it was a little harder to get to sleep with that noise

clean towels and linen, great hot water! close to where we needed to be. It was a decent place for the price we paid

• Studio Apartment

No tea or coffee but long life milk was in the fridge this I could not work out I booked parking on the booking.com site but on arrival was told that they did not have a spot.

room was large, bathroom roomy

• One-Bedroom Apartment

The air cooler was ok but maybe if it was moved to a different location - where it was the cool air goes straight behind the blinds and doesn't cool the room very well.

The room was spacious and clean. The kitchen came with everything I needed and it was comfortable to live in

• Studio Apartment

Onsite parking is technically offered but unlikely to be available (and is expensive at $19 a night!) and the nearest overnight parking is in the CBD.

Good location the price. Bathroom somewhat cramped but clean.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

The first room the shower head blew off while i was having a shower ruining my hair which i had just paid $170 to have done for the wedding we were attending, the next room was newer but the shower was so small and a weird shape that both my partner and struggled to fit in it, the air con did nothing at all, i wouldnt call it air con, thw bed was so uncomfortable that neither of us slept more than 15mins the whole night. Would never stay here.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Place was old and tired, fridge wasn’t working and smelt really bad. No service in the room - towels and rubbish emptied. Bathroom was dirty, blinds in lounge and bedroom were hanging off the windows

• One-Bedroom Apartment

The smell of Indian food in the hallway was a little off putting however it did not come into the room

Location and room were terrific and staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Nothing was a problem and the bed was so comfortable! The bathroom was well appointed and we were very happy

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Cleanliness of the apartment, mainly the living/kitchen areas. Hallways smell like they need to be thoroughly aired once in a while. Walls could use a fresh coat of paint. Noisy alley beside with loud truck/s arriving at 4am each day.

The bathroom was very modern and the shower had brilliant pressure. Staff very helpful.

• Studio Apartment

It is utterly ridiculous in this day and age that places charge you money for Wifi - out of principle, this should be included if you are paying quite a bit for accommodation. Also quite loud. Place seems a tiny bit run down. Staff also weren't too helpful with recommendations etc

Great location, good amenities, good bathroom, basic accom for basic price - nothing special!

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Too old building, too old equipment, not cleaning sofa and table and kitchen. The wall is not isolated well, so that we hear another side making love very clear.

location close to CBD and close to university.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

The photos do not reflect the state of the furniture and facilities. The rooms are old and stuffy with stained furniture and carpets.

Very friendly staff

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Still hear noises from other rooms. There are kitchen stoves but no pot or pan.

Excellent location, close to tram and central which also means many restaurants and supermarkets. The kitchen works well, so convenient to have a dishwasher. Our room was facing the courtyard so it is very quiet. Overall, everything is good and clean.

• Studio Apartment

The bed was very hard and uncomfortable it creaked a lot not the usual standard you would expect, furnishings were basic but OK for short stay.

The linen was fresh and the pillows were comfy. The apartment was a little dated but overall clean and OK for one night and close to where the function we were attending.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

The windows are paper thin and if you are unlucky enough to score street front room your getting no sleep.

The staff were friendly helpful and very knowledgable. The location is great and the rooms were reasonably priced

• One-Bedroom Apartment

The hot plates in my first apartment didn't work, and in the second apartment (I moved because the fualty hot plates) the shower had a small leak and the heater wasn't working.

Good allocation, with excelent service and fast problem solving.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Air conditioning was not strong enough to keep the apartment warm,we were a bit cold during the 3 days stay.

Loved the location and the cleanness of the place,bed was very comfy with nice sheets,lounge also very comfortable

• Studio Apartment

Room did not get serviced whilst we were there, even for the one day that it cld have been. Evacuation sheet in a drawer, not up on display. Shortage of bins. Bathroom not completely clean. Heater noisy and did not work all that well. Room smelt of smoke. No information sheet provided in room re how to contact reception, WiFi , etc

Quiet by close to Lygon Street and very convenient to trams.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Air con guy had to come in and fix the air con while i was trying to nap .... he had to leave and he stayed on his own, wasnt happy about that but i had to go. The guy was nice but he could have come back later?

Location is pretty good for price

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Our front door dampener was broken. Didn't effect the door. However the broken heater in the bedroom was plain unsafe with exposed wires and all. Not great around a 2 year old. Also the toilet seat was not secured down as one side was broken. I did report and it didn't detract from our stay but I hope they fix these things. Lots of people live there so a bit of living noise but nothing that stopped us & Bub from sleeping.

Inclusions like laundry powder, coffees, milk were great. Dishwasher awesome. Clean and staff happy to replace linens as needed. Location obviously the draw card. Off street parking option excellent.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

THE VARY FIRST DAY ROOM-BUT NEXT DAY THEY SHIFTED US TO A REASONABLE GOOD STUDIO INSTEAD OF OUR ONE BED-ROOM BOOKING WITH FORMAL APOLOGY & dollar FIFTY FOR ALL THIS MENTIONED HORIBLE NIGHT STAY AFTER LONG & hectic TRAVEL RIGHT FROM DALYELLUP BEACH ESTATE( WA ) TO MELBOURNE (VIC),HIGHLY SAD& REGRETFUL TO MENTION. DR.RAIS .F. SIDDIQI.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

I had to remake the bed. The sheets were all crumpled up and there was just a single duvet spread across the double bed. I found a bigger duvet in the cover to remake it. You could tell that people had smoked in the room before it just smelled like stale cigarette smoke and air freshener the pillows smelled like cigarette as well. The shower wasn't the best as far as cleanliness went. I couldn't wait to leave. For $140 per night it was average.

The location was good and the reception staff were nice.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

• Studio Apartment

It took me 2 hours to find it goggle directed me the wrong way and because of that I didn't get to go to vic market which was of the reason I stayed in Melbourne.

The staff was very helpful with someone who didn't know Melbourne at all. Bed awesome had a great sleep

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Several minor matters regarding the room need attention. We raised the issues with the staff and they were grateful for the feedback. The room also needed a repaint. These issues did not impact on our stay and we would consider revisiting again.The complex is non smoking but unfortunately some clients ignore this and there is evidence of smoke odour in rooms and corridors. Please note that the windows aren't double glazed. We had a courtyard facing room so it was not an issue: very quiet! But rooms facing Swanston Street may be a little noisy if you are a light sleeper. The apartments aren't at the same quality level as, say, Oakes: but they are 30-40% cheaper so that needs to be factored into any assessment.thats why we think it is fair value for the price paid.

Only a few minutes' walk to Melbourne Markets and cafes. One bedroom unit was reasonably spacious. Genuinely helpful staff and cleaners. We had asked for a quiet room and staff obliged. Room has reasonable cooking facilities, crockery, glassware, cutlery, chopping boards and knives (not always the case in some apartments we have stayed in). Reception also held our luggage after checkout, for a few hours. It was appreciated.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

• Studio Apartment

There was full of cockroaches and we could not use kitchen facilities because of cockroaches running around everywhere. The air conditioner did not work properly and unfortunately the receptionist did not help effectively.

The bed was too dirty and the bed sheet was not clean and it was smelly.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Courtyard very noisy and smoke fumes could be smelt in our room. Had to frequently ask guests to reduce their noise. The twin beds were far too narrow for an average sized person. Furnishings were very cheap and nasty.

In a good position.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

• Studio Apartment

The online photos did not match what was really there. The room was tiny, furniture was rundown and worn. Walls were paper thin, you could clearly hear people using the toilet in the next room. Wi-Fi (which we paid extra for) was useless. There was a dirty towel left laying in the shower upon arrival. BUT THE WORST BY FAR was after going up the elevator to our floor, every time we stepped into the halls there was a terrible OVERWHELMING smell of something like old cigarettes, vomit and alcohol. Not value for money.

The reception person ( a young man) was very helpful, welcoming, friendly and efficient. Location was good.

• Studio Apartment

I stay here for one night, one of the hotel staff are rude some more this staff ask me to give a bond AUD 300 for the room that i pay only 99 dollar. And the worse part is he ask my passport and keep it without return it to me during im check in. I just realize that keep my passport after i check out from this place the next morning. And the room was cold theres no heater. Im piss off with the staff on duty.

• Studio Apartment

The heating is very poor, bed was a bit up and down, the hall ways stink like pee , very loud location. It's more of a backpacker than any thing

Liked how close to where I needed to be it was !

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Smelly! You pay for what you get! Advertises parking but none available so had to park on the street. Not very good security on the apartment doors so I didn't feel very safe leaving my belongings in the room or sleeping on my own at night.

Sheets were clean and soft! Receptionist was lovely and friendly!

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

• Studio Apartment

Unfortunately the hotel is located near tram tracks which can be rather noisy, but we got used to them.

It was extremely convenient for St Vincent's Hospital, where we were visiting a friend. Also close to the free tram service for sightseeing.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

The apartment was small and well worn, with marks and small holes in the wall. Floor coverings well worn. Air conditioner was very noisy (dented in the front) although it worked well. We discovered on Saturday that the serviced apartment was not serviced on the weekends.

The staff were extremely polite and obliging. The beds were extremely comfortable, firm and supportive for my bad back. The bed and bath linen was sparkling clean and white and the towels were fluffy. The kitchen had all implements necessary to eat in. The apartment is a five minute walk to Lygon St and the Flower Show at Carlton Gardens. Tram stop is at the door, although it was outside the free tram zone. The free tram zone is great and we utilised it to travel to Docklands and the Big Wheel, to Chinatown and around the City Circle. Free Wi-Fi was available.

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Old building and lighting in unit quite dim. Old fashioned aircon/heating didn't work in our room which could be an issue during summer or the middle of winter when this may impact on comfort.

Fantastic location. Close to all the action of the city. Very convenient. Didn't even need to use the trams that much because it was so central. It was mostly fairly quiet for such a busy road. Shower is lovely and hot.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Facility wasn't good enough broken air condition wasn't cold enough blinds broken wasn't fix ironing board broken broken shower head the cost of this place did not match at all very dissapinted wouldn't recommend to anyone sorry

Centralise easy access to city cbd

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

• Studio Apartment

The fact that the night shift manager was a bit rude , considering that I wasn't given a card to get back in the building after hours And when I asked I was told that there wasn't a spare and that I was told to pay $100 for a spare The 2nd night I rang the night manager on shift that night told me to sought my shit out that he only works for the guest Had to explain that I was guest then he was a bit more welcoming 3rd night finally got a card to get in the building after reception hours

It was big enough , had plenty of space the kitchen was great

• One-Bedroom Apartment

If I was being really picky - maybe air out the hallways a little as so hot and stuffy in there. But other than that it was great.

Spacious, clean room.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Air-con was terrible & vents need a good clean. Hallway and room had a terrible odour. Blinds did not stay up on window to let fresh air in. Fold out bed had sheets scruffed up in it when we opened it. Carpets need a good dry clean. Getting in and out of carpark was annoying.

Location to Royal Melbourne Hospital. Only 1km away.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

• Studio Apartment

An air-conditioner that created noise only, nothing cold coming out. Pubic hair on bathroom floor. Smell of disinfectant in reception and lift. Sheets stacked in trolleys everywhere. Cold water in fridge would have been appreciated. "lounge chairs" - never sat on anything more uncomfortable. Used kitchen chair instead.

Leaving.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Actually I like all

Nice location easy to catch tram to go any where staff are friendly and room was nice and clear room is bit smaller but according to price is fair satisfied recommend to stay

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Entry to the parking area didn't have a buzzer, you had to leave your car parked at the entry and walk through the main building, down some stairs and then push a button to open the gate, then run to your car and drive through before the gate came down. This is paid parking mind you.

Location was pretty good, close to the city.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Terrible. The corridors had a terrible smell. The room was not properly cleaned and given to us. The crockery and cutlery was not washed properly. There was old food in the fridge, probably from previous occupant. The toilet was not cleaned.YAK.The window blinds were dirty and broken. House keeping staff could not be seen. The place is terribly run down. This was my third stay at Plum. I will never again stay at Plum.

The location was walking distance to Melbourne Central train station

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

• One-Bedroom Apartment

1) Online photo showed washing machine in the apartment, and confirmation also mentioned washing machine included. Actually, no washing machine in the apartment, but laundry area at the ground floor. 2) Air-con in the living room only. Bedroom is hot. Need to open window. 3) Electric stove not working well.

1) Easy access 2) Comfort bed

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• Studio Apartment

I had to have breakfast on the go as I forgot to stock the fridge the night before, which meant I was very late getting snacks on the way, which meant it affected my medical condition. It would be great if small snacks were available to purchase, or even cereals or protein bars that I could put in my bag or pocket.

Convenience of location to transport & cafes; also my medical appointments without needing a taxi. Extremely helpful staff, both housekeeping & front desk. The manager realised I was there for medical appointments & went out of his way to be helpful, especially as I was travelling alone.

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

• One-Bedroom Apartment

My room was overseeing the road. Good view, but noisy once the trams start their services & waste truck comes to pick up the garbage at 6am!

The spacious bedroom & living room. I was in Tune (now Ibis) just across the road during my last visits in 2014 & 2015. The small room made me claustrophobic! And they were a bit too pricey. Plum apt provides better room with cheaper price.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

• One-Bedroom Apartment

No remote control for tv asked for remote they couldn't organise one for 3 days and said that they would provide me with a number so I could make a complaint. Fry and cutlery dirty as hell and had to clean it myself before using.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Condition of room. Hole in the wall. Aircon leaked water all over the carpet. No remote for the garage. Really stinky hallway. Poor lighting. Walls need re-painting.

Kind staff doing their best in poor circumstances.