Reviews of Russell Hotel In The Rocks 3.5 stars

143A George Street, Sydney CBD, 2000 Sydney, Australia

#60 of 306 hotels in Sydney

Based on 1975 hotel reviews

• Small Double Room

Overhead lighting I the room could be brighter.

Fresh flowers in the room. Fabulous location at Circular Quay. We left a Fitbit Charger in the room. Reception sent us a photo of the charger and offered to post it.

This was a relaxed environment to commence our ocean holiday.
    • Superior Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

Perfect location to bed down the night before our P&O Cruise leaving from Circular Quay. Also, it is close to the Rocks, Darling Harbour, Train line and the tourist locations that the Sydney foreshore has to offer.

Great, would stay there again
    • Superior Deluxe Room

The staff at the breakfast bar could have been a bit friendlier. We weren't acknowledged at all when we arrived but they did answer questions when we asked

The room was very clean and nicely appointed and very quiet. The location is ideal to access all that The Rocks have to offer. The receptionist was very friendly and welcoming and the continental breakfast offered good selection.

Excellent location and good choice for breakfast.
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Its location to all attractions in central Sydney was amazing. Walked to Circular Quay in 3 minutes, Opera House in 15 Minutes and Darling Harbour in 20 minutes. We had a room with an ensuite which was clean and had everything we needed. The breakfast provided enough choices.

The location was excellent and walking distance to most...
    • Superior Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

The stairs were a bit of a nuisance. The shower recess in our room had no shelf or container for soap shampoo etc. we solved this by spending a few dollars and buying a cheap plastic one with suction caps!!

The location was excellent and walking distance to most places. We liked the homely atmosphere and the restaurant and hotel incorporated with the accommodation were great.

Location, location, location! Such amazing value for $.
    • Standard Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

The curtains in our room weren’t fantastic, it was a battle to open/close them all the time. Also, the room we stayed in was not particularly dark - there was a big street light directly outside our room... not anyone’s fault but affected our ability to sleep. We were staying in a room that I think was disabled friendly, so the bathroom was all open and there was no curtain around the shower - whenever we showered the bathroom became saturated and didn’t drain too well. All very minor things but stood out because everything else was so fantastic

Location was amazing. The staff were super friendly and helpful. Having the breakfast included was a lovely touch (the croissants WERE extra-flakey!). There is a beautiful sitting room and rooftop garden that is available to access by guests and they offer discounts for guests in the bars downstairs and the restaurant.

Somewhere I would definitely stay again.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Apart from the friendly staff, the originality of the building, and the superb location; I really enjoyef the personal touches, like chocolates being left in your room everyday.

Relaxed and easy
    • Superior Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

The staff were very welcoming and easy to talk to. Very helpful with travel tips. The rooms were aesthetically pleasing and very comfortable and cosy. We are planning on returning more regularly due to value for money and excellent location!

Horrible
    • Standard Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

I had the worst sleep ever, I placed in room 7 which was to building which was renovating until 3am in the morning, hardly had any sleep considering I drove all the way from the Central Coast & was down for a work nursing conference. I did explain to the concierge the following morning and he said he would follow it up with council? I also had to pay an over night car park of $62!! when I was told it was to be only $25 - but when I called them, he told me I was at the wrong WILSON parking station. I'm hoping to be compensated in one way or another, as it was the worst night of my life possible with no sleep and had to be at a training workshop the following day in Fairfield and drive all way back home to coast with minimal or no sleep what so ever... :-(

Breakfast and free wi-fi

We had a fantastic stay and cannot wait to come back for a...
    • Standard Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom - Room 23

We had a fantastic stay and cannot wait to come back for a longer visit. The room was delightful so clean gorgeous and welcoming and in the most perfect spot. Our breakfast was wonderful, we enjoyed the singer and our dinner on the Sunday night. Seriously you could not be disappointed staying

A Gem in The Rocks
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Perfectly positioned for the Opera House, The Rocks, and Circular Quay. Surrounded by local history, directly opposite the Museum of Contemporary Art, this hotel is perfect for solo adventurers with a mind to comfort on a budget. The rooms are comfortable and always impeccably clean, the shared facilities immaculate, the staff are all genuinely friendly, and the included breakfast rivals the fare of the surrounding cafes.

A lovely place to stay if you are joining a cruise from Sydney.
    • Superior Room with Shared Bathroom

Received a room upgrade so had an ensuite rather than a shared bathroom. Lovely comfortable beds and a large room. Very helpful staff. We chose this hotel for 1 night prior to joining our cruise. Just a quick walk to the overseas passenger terminal the next day. We enjoyed wandering The Rocks and enjoyed our pre cruise stay. A quaint boutique hotel with an atmospheric bar/restaurant downstairs. Would recomend The Push Bar for a meal.

Loved the old world charm and would very happily stay again.
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The Russell hotel was a fantastic place to stay, 2 mins walk to Circular Quay 10mins to the Opera House which was our reason for being in Sydney. Close to Pitt St for shopping. Room was beautifully furnished, bed very comfy only wish I’d found the removable double glazing before the morning we left. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Free breakfast was delicious too!,

Delightful
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I love the old style charm of The Russell, and it’s location in The Rocks, close to the Opera House in particular. It probably isn’t suitable for people with mobility issues as due to its original construction, the passages are narrow and there are many steps to negotiate. However, it wouldn’t be the same place if it were different. It is a delightful p,ace.

Great hotel in an excellent location!

No complaints whatsoever!

Fabulous location - very convenient to all that The Rocks and Circular Quay has to offer. Comfy bed, friendly staff, cosy room and a very generous continental breakfast. Would definitely stay here again!

Property was enjoyable and as advertised that was nice
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Not a lot of room in the rooms but it is an old building and not much can be done about it. We only needed the room to sleep in and we got out and explored the area so it didnt bother us. there is a kettle in the room but not sure where to put it to use it.

The property was just as advertised. Bed was comfy had dinner downstairs and was a great little bar and 10% off too was nice even gave discount to our guest who didn't stay that was nice. Location was just right close 5 minute easy walk to circular key where you can get to just about anywhere.

Brilliant location - a real comfort stay!

Beautiful homely hotel - perfect for the eccentric group! We loved the location, the staff and the hotel itself. The breakfast was really generous. The shared bathrooms are fine once you get used to them. we highly recommend this place!1 And they speak spanish too!

A cute boutique hotel in the heart of the city.
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

No air con so too hot in summer. Lovely in winter

A cute boutique hotel in the heart of the city. Close to transport and landmarks. Clean, great pub downstairs and very friendly staff. They always accommodate me with my crazy check in/ check out hours. Have stayed 3 times so far. It’s my favourite hotel.

Location, history, quiet and most of all fantastic establishment
    • Standard Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

The Russell is in prime location and the best thing of all is that it is an original building build back in the early 1900 so it has load of charm. It is positioned in the heart of Sydney so it is possible to walk, catch a ferry, enjoy a fantastic meal anywhere in Sydney. An excellent establishment which I will return too.

A little gem at the Rocks.

Everything always a great experience when staying at The Russell hotel. Best location, friendly staff, lovely rooms and yummy breakfast included in the room rate. Rooms are spacious and very clean all individually styled.

The spacious very clean room and the beds were so comfy.
    • Superior Room with Shared Bathroom

Bit of outside noise at front of property but no complaints at all.

The spacious very clean room and the beds were so comfy. Food in the bar excellent and service fantastic. We love going back. Great location too

Location is great, a couple of minutes walk from Circular...
    • Small Double Room

I felt breakfast time was very short (until 9:30 if I'm correct). Having read a note to keep bathroom door closed as hot steam (from the shower) may trigger fire alarm, I was a bit confused if it is really that sensitive or it is just general information... Otherwise, all was ok.

Location is great, a couple of minutes walk from Circular Quay. I was staying during Vivid Sydney, so the area next to hotel also has a number of light installations for the occasion. The room was rather small, but had all the necessary amenities, including tea/coffee and biscuits, electric kettle, iron, electric heater, minibar, etc. The lady at reception was very kind and helpful. p.s. Hotel entrance is a few meters uphill, away from the street (in case you have a big/heavy suitcase), also some stairs inside on the way to reception/room.

Quaint and old worldy. Brilliant location.
    • Small Double Room

The room was a little bit on the small side, but that was a minor consideration. Definately not a problem of you are staying a night or two, but it might be a factor if staying longer.

The room was old worldy, quaint, comfortable and clean. It was a lovely romantic place to stay for a night or two, right next to the action. Check out the rooftop bar, you see the Harbour Bridge! We stayed one night to visit the Sydney Vivid Festival 2018 and it was the perfect location. The staff were lovely and their pubs give you a 10% discount for guests.

Enjoyable, comfortable and relaxing.
    • Standard Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

The room was spacious and comfortable and the access to the roof top garden which was delightful for relaxing and viewing part of Sydney. The sitting room was so inviting and tastefully decorated with a cute balcony to observe the area. The staff were so helpful and attentive, I couldn't fault anything and have already told others to stay there as it is so central and comfortable.

The Russell Hotel provided the exact convenience and comfort I wanted when staying in the city.
    • Superior Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

The seating for breakfast was very cramped and the breakfast did not really cater for those with special dietary requirements. When I asked for some gluten free bread it all seemed a bit too hard. Unfortunately this tainted my overall view of my stay which was disappointing.

Convenience Accessibility Evening meal at The Push

This hotel was Rock-in
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The blinds let in a lot of light from the street.

Firm bed. Clean bathroom. Good location. Delicious breakfast pastries. Very close to all the vivid action.

Room was just lovely and larger than our expectations.
    • Superior Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

Not a negative for us but if your elderly or have a disability I would say it could be difficult to get to some rooms and up the small hill to reception. Also steep stairs as expected in these old buildings to breakfast if you don’t want to go via the outside path. I also noticed whilst sitting in courtyard you could see the image of people using the shared toilet facilities through the frosted glass, perhaps just needs a blind in there.

Room was just lovely and larger than our expectations. There was a small courtyard off our room. Definitely pay for ensuite bathroom . Our room was on the reception level so easy to get to - Room 20. Decorated beautifully . Lovely Staff held our bags while we shopped the next day. So easy to walk to from ferry or train, one minutes to circular key , 5 minutes to Opera house, 30 seconds walk to the start of Vivid. Lovely building met all expectations. Roof top courtyard would be lovely in summer and you could take your own beverages. Breakfast ample for the money

I didn’t like the fact the push bar closes for cocktails at...
    • Superior Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

I didn’t like the fact the push bar closes for cocktails at 9am. Security was slightly rude about it. The whole place was full the service was excellent and all of a sudden no more cocktails and basically told to leave!

Proximity to everything I wanted to see for my visit to...
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The ceiling fan didn’t work and the room was a little dark. Only had bedside lamps but there was a large window.

Proximity to everything I wanted to see for my visit to Sydney... the Vivid lights, restaurants and cafes, markets and public transportation.

Overall quite a nice stay, but I don't think it was worth the dollars we paid.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

The ensuite was very small with no vanity or places to hang or put anything. The shower was very temperamental and the pressure was low.

The bed was really comfy and the breakfast was a very nice continental, lots of fresh fruit. The location is fantastic, especially for Vivid Sydney.

Fantastic location, awesome value for money
    • Superior Room with Shared Bathroom

This is perfect for being central to the action in downtown Sydney. Even though this is like a traditional 'pub' type accommodation, the rooms are amazing and have been obviously updated. The bar downstairs is fairly lively but then it goes quiet when you need to sleep. It is just super convenient and the only issue of having to share a bathroom is completely minimal to all the other advantages.

Great but not room No8
    • Standard Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

Even though I had booked a sound proof room, from my room, No 8, many different noises constantly woke me up during the night from flushing water, water running down the pipes from the room next door and the room above, the squeaking noise from the lobby and the stairs nearby when someone was moving, to the noise from rain dropped on the windows. There were also mosquitoes flying around so I had to cover my head with a blanket.

Perfect location, great breakfast included and friendly staff

This is an older hotel in one of the best locations in...
    • Standard Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

This is an older hotel in one of the best locations in Sydney. Less than five minutes from Circular Quay and the Opera House, walking distance to many sights, stores, restaurants, CBD, etc. The train to/from the airport is a few minutes away in Circular Quay. Comfortable ensuite room (with a shower with no door in the middle of the bathroom .. unexpected but no problem). Very friendly and helpful staff.

Great Location, friendly staff
    • Superior Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

My room was very noisy due to being by main stairwell and people in and out their rooms all night

Friendly staff, prime location and nice bar/ bistro

Staff were excellent and were very accommodating of our 2...
    • Standard Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom - Room 23

Very noisy as the room was above a pub with a band but as staff made sure to warn us ahead of time we were expecting it. Wouldn't recommend if excessive noise is a major issue.

Staff were excellent and were very accommodating of our 2 month old baby. Room was comfortable and the location was perfect for exploring the city.

Location location location
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

This hotel is like an entertainment destination in its own right. Breakfast, piano bar, traditional pub, bistro, rooftop and Vivid display all located in the heart of the famous Rocks district. Perfect stay for Vivid festival.

Our second stay but may be our last, let down by the room standard we had this time and it’s locatio
    • Superior Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was above the bar which had live music that could be heard coming through until late in the night. A corner of the ceiling was water damaged, wallpaper was peeling off and the window frame was rotted. We had left our window open for fresh air one morning but on our return later in the day the window was closed and the heater was on full, the room was stifling and the temperature was unwarranted. It made it very uncomfortable!

Great location, staff and breakfast

Great weekend with family and friends and found staff at the Russell really helpful.
    • Superior Room with Shared Bathroom

I enjoyed my stay it’s an old building you have to realise there are always little things but I thought it was still comfortable.

Old premises but lots of character love the old style hotels, staff really helpful, location great. Comfortable bed and loved the little chocolates at night. Mini bar prices good not too expensive. Great two days there.

Stay here! U won’t b disappointed!
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Breakfast amazing! No one could b disappointed. The Push Bar makes for a great breakfast room with the huge screen tv making it feel like I’m having brekky in my own home! Very friendly staff whether they b reception, bar or cleaning. Third time I have been here n it is my preferred hotel in the Rocks.

Not enough sleep due to noise & poor air flow.
    • Standard Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom - Room 23

Room was comfortable but because the room was above a night club/ pub, we couldn't open the window for fresh area. AC didn't give us the fresh air we needed. Reported the next morning a hole in the shower pipe as wouldn't be spotted unless someone reported.

Room was comfortable & warm.

Great location, cute room, friendly staff.
    • Standard Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom - Room 23

It was the noisiest hotel I’ve ever stayed in. The music below played till mid night. I quite enjoyed lying in bed listening to it but if you are a light sleeper and want to retire before midnight this isn’t the hotel for you.

Great location, cute room, friendly staff. A quaint hotel with loads of charm. Well kept and in keeping with its age.

Nice place
    • Deluxe Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

I must say that that The Russell Hotel exceeded our expectations. We were there for Vivid Sydney. My wife looked a bit worried as we navigated our way through the stairs and corridors. But room 18 was a good size, nice and clean. Yes, a bit quirky with cracking floor boards but I think that adds to the charm. The bathroom was very good. We had a shared squid dish for lunch, a Shepard’s pie for dinner, all good. We also liked the breakfast, served on the bar and included in the room rate. And the position is excellent with easy access to The Rocks, ferries, train and city.

The location, history and character of The Russell Hotel added so much more to our Vivid experience.
    • Superior Deluxe Room

We stayed overnight at The Russell Hotel for our Vivid Sydney 2018 experience and it exceeded our expectations. The heritage inspired rooms were spacious and fabulously comfortable, our room even overlooked one of the installations. The staff couldn't have been more informative and helpful and we followed the advise of staff to plan our nights wanderings which was very suitable. The continental breakfast was one of the best we've ever had and I would recommend the The Russell Hotel to anyone looking for convenience to Circular Quay and the Rocks. We enjoyed our stay immensely!

Despite interrupted sleep we had a lovely Sydney staycation taking in Vivid, museums & art gallery.
    • Standard Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

Nowhere to plug in the kettle to make coffee. Only sufficient coffee sachets for one cup each. Not replenished. Staff very noisy cleaning rooms of early departees of a morning. Lots of crashing late at night as bar staff emptied bottles and rubbish into the bins with loud talking, door banging and lid slamming. Overheated. Could have turned the thermostat down as everyone was rugged up for the chilly weather outdoors. Loud compressor or motor clunking on and off all night.

Very close to transport links. Hopped on the ferry and came by train so no parking woes. Within easy walking distance of the harbour and the city. Vivid was amazing and we were right in the middle of the action.

We can't wait to come back!
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

We loved the atmosphere. The hotel had history and character. The location was perfect. The Rocks is an amazing area to explore but the trains and ferries are right there if you want to explore further. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. We are already planning a return visit.

A wonderful gem of a hotel that we will revisit again and again.
    • Superior Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

The bathroom window in our particular room could have used a shade of some sort as the toilet was under that window.

A fabulous classic "old" hotel that has been updated to a "boutique" hotel. Two restaurants onsite with great food and drink. The staff were exceptional. The location is fantastic - right across the street from the harbor.

The best location to see the Vivid Festival in Sydney.
    • Standard Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

The tariff. I understand this is driven by demand and location but it still seems disproportionate to the amenities, the room sizes and the condition of the property.

Great location and the included breakfast. Mini-bar prices are very reasonable. Staff service was excellent.

I'll be back and decently recommend this place
    • Superior Room with Shared Bathroom

It's not a dislike but just a warning, to avoid any further real dislike about this reason If you're going to sleep there for a weekend just be aware that the room 1/2 first floor are just above the bar and the street so it could be a little bit noisy. If you don't want this and before to complain ask to the friendly staff an other room when you book.

Location just amazing Breakfast more than my expectations Staff very Very friendly. We went there for Vivid Sydney so I suppose the price was quite high, that the reason my score is at 8.8. May be in "regular" price my score will be perfect.

Impressed for Le$$
    • Standard Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

More TV stations would've been good & not being able to drop off/pick up luggage at the front door was a bit difficult.

The Location could not have been better, The price was beyond fair, The staff were exceptional

Loved it!
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Maybe more choices on the dinner menu.

Considering it was the rocks we thought it was great value for money, room was small but clean, bed was super comfy. Bathroom was new & spacious, loved the roof top area & sitting room on the 1st floor, the lift made getting to the room much easier. Staff were friendly & very helpful

Vintage charm, amazing location! Great base for exploring Sydney

The central location means there is some city noise and the bar downstairs has live music which can be heard in the rooms (but the music stops at about 11pm). The internal layout is a bit unusual, with winding hallways and steps between the various levels. The rooms were small and probably ready for a refresh/upgrade, and there was sometimes a short wait for the shared bathroom. These things didn't bother us, and are part of the charm of a historic hotel, but may be downsides for others.

The Russell Hotel is very conveniently located, right in the heart of the Rocks and next to the ferries at Circular Quay. So fun to stay in this historic part of Sydney, with views of the opera house and bridge! The continental breakfast was an excellent way to start each day. We appreciated the communal spaces (sitting room and roof terrace). The vintage decor and cozy, comfortable rooms felt like a home away from home. The staff were fabulous and gave us tips about what to see/do, and held our luggage for the afternoon after we checked out. Little touches like tea/coffee in the rooms and chocolate on the pillows were great. Would definitely stay again!

Great vallue for the excellent location!
    • Superior Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

If stairs are an issue for you, this place might not work. There is a lift, but you'll still need to negotiate some stairs. Our room was filled with great music and sounds of happy guests from the bar below on the weekend. For some this might not be welcome.

The location was the absolute best---five minute walk to Circular Quay, ferries, train station, art museum, etc. Continental breakfast was substantial enough to give us a good start on the day. Staff was consistently friendly and helpful. Our room was plenty spacious for two.

Great heritage accommodation in beautiful Rocks area. Easy access from Circular quay
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Heritage hotel with clean and comfortable rooms with beautiful high ceilings. Great location easy walk from Circular Quay for airport transfer and everything you need is close at hand in the beautiful Rocks area without the expensive price tag.

We loooved our stay at the Russell!

Would have loooved to stay longer!!!:))

We loooved our stay at the Russell!!:)) such a true little gem!!felt veery homely!!great location close to the harbour..super friendly staff..thanks again!!

Beautiful boutique Hotel in the heart of the city
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Excellent location, nice staff, lovely rooms, heaters in the rooms, nice atmosphere and drinks at the Push (the bar downstairs where breakfast is served as well), all in all just good value for money.

Great location and amenities but don't expect a noiseless stay at weekends...........
    • Superior Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

Being an older style timber framed building the noise levels are high so can hear occupants in corridor outside room and above room also the sound from the bar downstairs transmits easily. If you're an early to bed person this is not the hotel for you, however I was only staying one night and it was a Saturday so it might be quieter on weekdays.

Old style of the building, great bar downstairs open to non hotel guests too, location brilliant, large room.

The hotel and reception staff were wonderful.
    • Standard Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom - Room 23

Over all stay was lovely. The staff member on breakfast in the morning was rude and abrupt. She seemed very flustered and it was not even busy. The percolated coffee was awful.

The hotel and reception staff were wonderful. The hotel was charming and and the location is great. I would stay again. The service staff we very friendly.

Quirky Charm
    • Small Double Room

The Russell Hotel is conveniently located. I loved that it was a short walk from the T and in the heart of the top sights in Sydney. It’s interior is a bit quirky but that is part of the charm. It is well taken care of; clean and quiet. The staff are friendly and helpful.

What a fabulous location!
    • Superior Room with Shared Bathroom

The wifi didn’t work in my upgraded premium room. There are no fans in the bathroom and you need to close the door when you bathe so as not to set off the fire alarm which would cost you ($1250, according to the warning signs). The rooms are numbered confusingly and the signs are also confusing. It took me a while to find mine but easy enough after that. The bed wasn’t very comfortable. The rooms with bathroom are exhorbitantly priced but that’s probably a fair price given the superlative location.

The location is the best in Sydney. The rooms are spacious and the hotel has lots of historic character. The continental breakfast is great and the dining facilities provide lots of options. The bathroom was large and well appointed. Ooh, and the turn down service was very nice!

Roaches, suffocating heat and rude staff; most infuriating hotel experience in Australia
    • Small Double Room

RUN AWAY, DO NOT BOOK. Almost $300 for a room with no A/C in 30 degrees Celsius weather, elderly woman at front desk was extremely rude and unwelcoming, had to share our "luxurious" en-suite bathroom with cockroaches.

Sydney is my new fav city!
    • Superior Room with Shared Bathroom

Only downside was the noise from the bar on Thursday and Friday night, but we get it - that's how you guys operate (was over by 11). Perhaps some complimentary ear plugs on turn down with the chocolates...?

Our superior room at the front of the hotel was stunning! We didn't even mind sharing a bathroom either. Loved the friendliness, style and the personal touches that made this Hotel more than just a bed for the night. And did we mention location...? PERFECT! We're definitely coming back...

great location but not a good value. Pay attention to what others have said
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Although the location is spectacular, the hotel did not meet my expectations for AUD 159/night. I had a very noisy room with a single, lumpy bed and little else. There wasn’t even a television.

You can’t beat the location!

The location, staff and comfortable beds were great.
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The water pressure was non existent. A problem when trying to wash shampoo and conditioner out of your hair.

The location, staff and comfortable beds were great.

Nice locale, but not worth it.
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Check-in was a bit abrupt as the guy at reception took a call before we finished - I still had a few questions. He also seemed a bit bothered that I wanted to pay with cash (since he had to go get change in the office). Not sure what is boutique about this place, unless boutique now means old and dingy. It is quaint but the floors and joints all quack. The rooms are far from soundproof - as you hear everything from the hall and the street and the adjoining rooms. Luckily, the people upstairs went to bed shortly after us. Definitely avoid rooms 3, 4 & 5. The bed was small and uncomfortable. For a few bucks more you can be up the street with your own bathroom and modern facilities.

The location was great and convenient. The two bars downstairs are cool, too.

Loved the location of the hotel. Loved the feel of the hotel and just laughed at the room noise!
    • Standard Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom - Room 23

The room we had was lovely to look at, clean and tidy, with a lovely lounge with a sunny balcony for our use immediately next door. Unfortunately the room had virtually no natural light as the window looked onto a wall a few feet away. The room (no.23) was also immediately over another bar called Fortune of War where live, loud music played till midnight, every night of out 3 night stay. Also in the morning music came up through the floor as the bar opened for breakfast. There was no mention of these drawbacks on Booking.com. I am sure other rooms in the hotel didn't suffer this and were just fine.

The location of the hotel is absolutely brilliant. You are between the harbour bridge and the Opera House in The Rocks, which is a lovely, interesting area to roam in. The Push bar attached to the hotel is really good with live music, friendly staff, excellent beers (and as a hotel guest 10% off drinks and food). There is a continental breakfast as part of the deal so you can start you day on a full stomach!

Okay-ish; tired but beautiful
    • Superior Room with Shared Bathroom

I've stayed here countless times before - but this time it felt dated and tired - and didn't justify the compromises of shared bathroom, few plug points, no central heating for price paid. I love a good rustic hotel but it cant keep riding on past historical appeal at that price if it's hard to do what a hotel is supposed to be - which is stay in.

Location; amazing staff. historical appeal. Beautiful decor. Close to the Rocks, Circular quay; trains and ferries.

Sydney opera at your doorstep
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Not a minus, but the mattress in the room I stayed in was incredibly soft, something to be aware of if you have back issues.

Nice little hotel in an excellent location. One of the main train and ferry stations is just a few steps away and the opera house and botanic gardens are close as well. Plus you can see the harbour bridge from the roof top terrace. The staff was exceptionally friendly and very helpful. Great value for money and the location can’t be beat.

Small hotel with character, excellent location next to central pier and helpful staff
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Hotel has a pub downstairs which can be noisy at night, but gets quieter by 8pm so not a major issue, and location more than makes up for it.

Excellent location, helpful staff

Home away from home. Lovely, friendly and helpful staff. Comfortable bed and clean surrondings.

Nothing comes to mind

Reception staff, were extremely helpful and friendly. We were made to feel very welcome. Nice sitting room and roof top garden. They even allowed us to leave our luggage for the best part of the next day, while we explored Sydney, (our cruise liner was delayed due to poor weather)

really enjoyed it will come again...
    • Standard Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

could not get hot water to work. Bed very squeaky!!!

the fresh flowers. great coffee bags.. nicely decorated. lovely quaint buildings with original features.

Location is great, rooms are comfortable, maybe a little over priced ??
    • Superior Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

The location is excellent if you want to be around The Rocks and Circular Quay. The rooms are comfortable and clean, it is a place to just to bunk down for a night really, but not a place where I would take someone that I wanted to impress. There are more impressive hotels than this one that you would pay around $50 - $100 more that would be nicer, maybe a little overpriced for the accommodation itself but the location is great.

Location, Location, Location!!!
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

We asked for and were provided a stand alone fan which was placed in our room after we left for the day - however, the fan was filthy. We wiped it down some - getting the loose pieces of dirt/dust/grime off but it was not pretty. We did not say anything to the management - which is our fault. However, we were quite surprised anyone would leave such with the obvious dirt. (The ceiling fan could have used some cleaning too). * But, despite this disappointment/complaint we would stay here again - just be more proactive on our part!

* Location couldn't be better! Stayed her 8 years ago and didn't consider any other place. Walk to Opera House, Gardens, Ferry and Train Station, Sydney Bridge. * The history of the hotel and area of The Rocks adds to the charm. The hotel is old so don't expect no dings in door or floor trims - it's well used, but the furnishing are charming. * We had a small room with shared bath. Sharing the bath is no big deal - never had to compete with using it. Bath was clean and convenient to the room. * Having breakfast available is so nice! They had a nice selection of cereals, breads, yogurt, fruit, and hard boiled eggs. As well as coffee, tea and juice. * If looking to relax outside the room, the roof top terrace is a nice getaway. * Ate at the hotel restaurant one evening - had a vegetarian mushroom burgers which were very good. Good selection of beers, wines, cocktails and spirits. * Were there when a "heat wave" (92F/32C) hit Sydney in April. There is no air conditioning but there are ceiling fans. We also got a stand alone fan. We were comfortable using both with window closed.

Convenient to Circular Quay.
    • Standard Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

The many sets of stairs - due to the age of the building. Unhappy about having to pay a fee for using credit card.

Friendly helpful staff. Good breakfast. Excellent lounge/waiting room.

Wonderful location, staff and breakfast!
    • Superior Double Room with Ensuite Bathroom

The location was perfect, right there in the middle of everything. Walking distance to Opera House, Botanic Gardens, Sydney Bridge, easy from airport (on the train) just across park and there you are. Wonderful staff and breakfast too!!!!

The Russell provided a wonderful stay in a great historic area of Sydney.
    • Superior Room with Shared Bathroom

The location couldn't be better -- walking distance to Opera House, Sydney Tower Eye and Hyde Park, to Royal Botanical Gardens and to portTh!! Staff was very helpful, room was exceptionally accommodating and the overall building has a historical flavor that is unforgettable. The Russell is a tremendous value in a clearly upscale and expensive area. We look forward to returning there.

Browse Russell Hotel In The Rocks traveller photo gallery