Reviews of Rydges Melbourne 4.5 stars

186 Exhibition Street, 3000 Melbourne, Australia

#94 of 166 hotels in Melbourne

Based on 1919 hotel reviews

• Reviewed: 21 October 2018

It was ok. Enjoyed it mainly for the fact that i spent my time with my beautiful girl 😍
    • Queen Room

Bathroom had hairs of the previous people who stayed in the hotel. Bathroom was really really small and shower had no pressure. Walls allowed sound from other rooms to be heard. Carpet was pretty dirty and stained. Air conditioning was old and the tv was old. Wouldnt really say the place was 4 star, maybe 3?

The bed was pretty comfortable and the view was fantastic.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2018

5.5
    Average
    • Queen Room

Booking.com needs to state the checking in policy with the hotel. There was nothing to say a $100 per night deposit would be taken, for all other properties there was.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2018

Good stay but would probably stay somewhere else next time

Restaurant expensive for evening meals. Rooms certainly need upgrading. Shower heads leaking bathroom floods from shower sink all cracked. No guide for tv and rooms need cleaning above eye level

Breakfast was amazing, staff were very friendly and approachable

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Forced to pay too much for my room.
    • Queen Room

Upon check in the receptionist told me that the room I had booked was next to the lift and could therefore be noisy. She then suggested that she could upgrade my room to one that was not near the elevator for another $60/night. I did the upgrade as I didn’t like the idea of being kept awake by the hotel lift. This is a very disappointing position to be put into and it was definitely not expected. I paid an extra $120 for my weekends accomodation. Not happy.

The location was great and the bathroom size was excellent.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Very nice

The aircon system, and the resturant was way to expensive.

I found the aircon in the room really loud and we had to turn it off at night because we could not sleep

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

Exactly what we wanted for this stay.

The room for what we paid for it, was disappointing.

The dining room and breakfast were excellent, the staff were lovely and the environment beautiful. Excellent location.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

Great location and brilliant car parking
    • Executive King Room

The heating a cooling unit was not working and we couldn’t get any cool air into the room , our room was too hot temp wise which made it uncomfortable, the carpets in passage on our floor were horrendous and breed replacing

The location and easy access to where we need to get to was great , convenience of car park and pool facilities were brilliant.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

can stay only because it is in the city
    • Queen Room

The room is not clean. very limited options in the hotel. Every thing with amenities need to be paid.

The only reason we can stay here is. It is in the city with car park facility(fair bit of fees).

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

A cosy hotel great for a short weekend getaway to enjoy Melbourne city and all it has to offer.
    • Queen Room

Not so much a dislike. A recommendation to have kids meals put on the restaurant menu. This would encourage families to eat there!

The bed pillows were amazing. Quishy and comfortable. Fantastic location especially for MCG. Taxis readily accessible right at the door. Very clean and spacious queen room.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Central to everything, just a walking distance which is...
    • Queen Room

The walk from the bus terminal. But now I know how to get there for next time.

Central to everything, just a walking distance which is great when on holidays.

Not worth it
    • Queen Room

The facilities are old and worn, the room smelled of dampness and the operational side of things is outdated. Doesn’t deserve the stars it has.

The location is great.

Never again
    • Queen Room

The upgrade to the Queen spa suite was not worth the money. It was a normal size bath with a few jets. Not worth the upgrade as it didn't fit 2 people.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Hi Rooms were fine but we were there for 2 nights, room was...

Hi Rooms were fine but we were there for 2 nights, room was not made up or refreshed and we only had one towel each for the 2 days, I don't think that is the best and we were disappointed. Bed was comfortable and aspect room was good.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

Clean, comfortable in a central location

Nothing, alll fine

Mainly chose this hotel for location, nearby the Comedy Theatre. It was a pleasant stay, I would certainly stay there again. Excellent bed and pillows, very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

Doesn’t worth of money
    • Family Suite

Too expensive for the value of room, we booked a family suite and feels like sleeping in the bathroom where master bed is right next to jacuzzi with no walls or any separation. Room is too old and should have renovation soon.

We booked a family suite, the room is old but roomy.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

Great stay.

The bathroom doesnt have an exhaust fan and condensed during a shower.

Lovely to be welcomed so well at reception and welcome note and gift was a great surprise. Love the express lifts to get you up to the higher floors. Bed was comfortable and room location was quiet.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

Location was good for what I needed to attend, unhappy about not getting what I booked.
    • Queen Room

Researched hotels in Melbourne with a bath for hours, decided to book here as it said their bathrooms had baths. Made a special request on my booking for a bath, which was acknowledged when I got my confirmation. When I got there, there was no bath. There was a small tub under the shower, but my kids wouldn't have even fit in there. Very poor form.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

Main bed was extremely comfortable,
    • Executive King Room

road noise Kids sharing a sofa bed shocking, only one pillow between two children, not enough towells, water pipe noise from room next door.. poor quality television ..On 3 occasions we couldn't into the rooms as keypass didnt work.

Main bed was extremely comfortable, smell of hotel was nice, Location was awesome Staff were friendly view from room was good and pool was awesome

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

Breakfast was nice, room was neat, location is great and...
    • Queen Room

Bathroom was very small, carpet was a little dirty and a grooming kit in the bathroom would be handy for when you forget your toothbrush or need a needle n thread.

Breakfast was nice, room was neat, location is great and close to everything. Good value for money

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

It was in the city
    • Queen Room

I thought I got a good deal with the accommodations but they get there money in the parking. There was no signage as too how much the parking was but I got the nice big bill as I was leaving. For a major chain that was a very standard room that you would get in a budget chain. I would not stay here again

It was in the city

Great Location but Over priced
    • Queen Suite with Spa Bath

I didn’t like the cleanliness of our room, the walls in the bathroom were very dirty. There was no suction fan over the toilet and the toilet flush was going for a long time, wasting a lot of water. The breakfast area wasn’t very tidy and the staff there wAs not very friendly. The spa was very small and the shower space wAs very tight.

I liked the location of this hotel. It’s near everything. The rooms were big and spacious, the staff were friendly but not overly helpful, the views were great and the bed was super comfortable and the furniture was very modern.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Central location- right on doorstep of Chinatown and many...

A 30cm gap with 35cm step to get into a shower over a bath🙃 in an executive suite🙃. Paid extra to stay in the same room when we checked in for two nights- ( we had made the additional night booking later) only to be told on returning to the hotel after the first day “We’ve been looking for you all day’ and a pull out extra double bed had been placed in our room while we were out and ‘ we should have moved rooms’. Perhaps they could have phoned me and they wouldn’t have had to move all our stuff around the room. Not happy.

Central location- right on doorstep of Chinatown and many restaurants and shops. Breakfast options were a plenty and friendly wait staff.

Wouldn’t come again
    • Queen Suite with Spa Bath

Room very noisy told we had been upgraded to a suite it was very noisy from the road and being next to the lift. View was an office block and building work. The higher rooms are apparently smaller and are standard level! Ours may have been bigger with a spa bath but I’d prefer a view as it would have taken a week to fill the spa bath hence a waste of money as we couldn’t use it!!! Heating wouldn’t work when cold the ac when warm. Water pressure in the shower not brilliant Laundry is on 10th floor consequently we had to go to the ground floor then travel in a different lift to get there the same in reverse when finished. Breakfast at times was busy dirty tables and more than once had to clear and clean the table. No option for half flush to save water and we could hear other toilets flushing from our room.

Location was okay and staff in restaurant gave directions when asked

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Have stayed there before and would again
    • Queen Room

We had a non smoking room and when we opened the cupboard to the fridge there was a half full packet of cigarettes with a lighter in the cupboard. That was our only concern.

The bed was the most comfortable one we have had at a Hotel. Breakfast was delicious and the staff were very friendly.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Excellent service, location and very clean
    • Queen Room

After reading the other reviews I wondered if they stayed at a different hotel as I could not fault the hotel. Our room including the bathroom was very clean, great toiletries, the lifts were quite fast. The staff were very friendly with good service and breakfast was excellent with a varied choice of hot and cold foods. I had a omelette made for me which was delicious. I booked with a deal that included breakfast $179 on a very busy weekend in Melbourne. I would stay here again.

Location and room great
    • Queen Room

I thought the breakfast including was terrible. No bacon, the eggs were cold as was the mushroom and tomatoes. Latte was too strong and not hot. I ate very little. Disappointing

Location and room great

Location was this stays only positive
    • Executive King Room

Rude staff especially on check in, very overpriced for what we got, really dirty windows, outdated and tiny ensuite, noisey aircon, 30 min wait for checkout. A lot nicer places to stay for cheaper prices. Will never stay here again. We stayed here for our anniversary and were very disappointed

Location was this stays only positive

Ok
    • Queen Room

Room could have been cleaner and toiletries and menus appeared to be missing.

Price was good with breakfast included. Location to city was also very good.

it was a well worth rest and relaxaition enjoyed our stay and rejuvinated our battries, looking fory
    • Queen Suite with Spa Bath

the only constructive critazisem is the rooms could with a fresh coat of paint and new carpets

the venue has allways been good, each time we have been here,value for money convient to the theater area of melbourne and short tram ride or walking distance to other significant areas of intrest in the city

The proximity to the city
    • Queen Room

Breakfasts were dreadful for the amount of money charged. Was like a bus station, too few staff and those that were working were totally over worked. Absolutely disgraceful one had to pay for a cuppachino!! Choice of continental breakfast was totally unacceptable.

The proximity to the city

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

room was clean and comfortable staff friendly and helpful
    • Executive King Room

Ate at restaurant for dinner very disappointed in meal over cooked poor value for money very basic meal kids meal turned up 15 minutes after adults waited for 15mins for sauce and had to ask for second time

room was clean and comfortable staff friendly and helpful

Exceptional place beautiful room nice breakfast . Phone call during dinner made it less enjoyable.
    • Queen Room

The fact is that I upgraded online , when we checked in I was accused of double booking. Cleared it up at the desk on check in . Then later in evening when out for dinner at an expensive restaurant got a phone call accusing me of making a booking and not checking in. Spoiled our child free dinner.

The room was set up perfectly with sleeping quarters separate. Bed was extra comfy. Nice and quiet peaceful

Great stay, but improvements needed.

The heater in the room needed to be cleaned, I suffer from dust allergies. I was concerned that the vents and the filters needed to be cleaned as I could see visible fluff in from the heater. Despite the upgrade (which I appreciated) the toilet way too close to the wall. It was no comfortable to use. If I was to stay again I would request a different room, I was in room 2204.

I liked being upgraded to the larger room on the highest level. Breakfast was great, the conference facilities were fantastic. The location was very good too.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Best bed I have found in a hotel.
    • Executive King Room

Best bed I have found in a hotel. Loved it. Great location and within walking distance to all that Melbourne city has to offer. Would definitely stay again.

Way overpriced for what it was
    • Queen Room

We were upgraded fo a king room which was slightly bigger but was particularly dated and the couch looked like it came from the local op shop along with the armchair.

Location was great , staff were friendly.

Convenient, lovely staff, comfortable beds.
    • Queen Room

Room next to lift shaft. The outside alarm that went off for over an hour at 3am. Windows not that sound proof.

Lovely reception staff, comfy beds, large windows . Convenient for conference Centre. Catering very good.

Good place to stay in central Melbourne
    • Executive King Room

Heater was a bit noisy.. And the recycling/rubbish collection outside in the street at around 6am was noisy( but not much you can do about that).

Room was spacious, clean and comfortable. I had a room service meal which was excellent! I really liked the idea of getting credit for not having room service if you were only staying a couple of nights or so-good environmental strategy!

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

It ok but could've been much better.
    • Queen Room

Toiletries such as soap and spare roll of toilet paper were not provided. This is really unacceptable for a hotel such as Rydges and we were very disappointed. Also the hotel room we were in had a health and safety issue. My partner tripped while entering the bathroom and hurt his toe, there is a 40 mm step between the carpet and the tiles, this is a hazard especially if tiles are wet.

Friendly and very helpful staff.

Best location
    • Queen Room

Some rooms are looking a bit tired and old and need refurbishment.

Great location. Right near theatres, China Town, shopping etc. Very friendly and helpful staff. Rooms comfortable.

great position, great facilities, friendly service, beds comfy. Childrens beds need improving.
    • Executive King Room

The kids were on the divan but were very uncomfortable as springs were popping out into their backs. I rang down for another bed for the older boy but the little one was asleep and I didn't want to wake him. When he woke in the morning he had a sore back and said he couldn't lie on his side as the coils were hurting him. All other beds were very comfortable so this was rather disappointing.

The pool was excellent Food lovely Service

Great stay!
    • Queen Room

The bathroom is a little small and dated however it is an older building.

Terrific room, beautiful views of the city, great bed. Everyone was friendly and breakfast was really nice. I chose this accommodation for the location, it was brilliant, close to some great restaurants.

Clean, tidy, pleasant and although on the small side, a nice place to stay.
    • Queen Room

Room was very squeezy, bathroom was incredibly tiny. The lighting could have been better in the room.

Bed was really comfortable. Breakfast had an excellent variety of choices. Staff were very helpful with directions and tram information.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Room service food was nice.
    • Queen Room

We had to call for towels as our room didn’t have them, it took many calls and a day for them to arrive. The room was freezing cold and the old heater was bashed in and broken.. and NOISEY..The room is just worn and old. The tv had a poor picture. The bathroom was grimey. Felt like and old motel

Room service food was nice. Staff friendly

Horrible and a waste of money
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The hotel was dirty, the only part that looked clean was the lobby rooms are dated, huge stains on carpet, unvacumed the curtains had mould.Was not worth the money we paid.

Anita the waitress was lovely at the restuarant after so much went wrong she was so kind

Great location, on site parking, spacious bedroom, nice...
    • Queen Room

I hate showers above baths! And the bathroom was tiny.

Great location, on site parking, spacious bedroom, nice outdoor heated pool and area. Lovely helpful staff.

Not the best
    • Queen Suite with Spa Bath

The rooms didn’t look like the pictures. There were stains on the floors. The beds were not comfortable at all. We changed rooms and it wasn’t any better. The TVs weren’t that great either.

The coffee in the restaurant was fantastic. All the staff were very helpful considering the rooms.

Very friendly staff.
    • Queen Room

Bathroom was the size of a closet. The wine offer in the room was a joke. Worst tasting red wine I have ever tasted and the restaurant staff didn't seem to know about it.

Very friendly staff.

I stayed with my 18 year old daughter we had 2 single beds,...

the heating in the room was up and down, I did go downstairs and asked for help which was done straight away

I stayed with my 18 year old daughter we had 2 single beds, the beds were comfy and dreamy, had a great sleep. we did have issues with the heating, we did feel a little cold. room 1210 we were very greatful for being checked into our room mid morning as opposed to 2pm, the young man at reception was extremely helpful and cheerful and straight away went out of his way to accommodate us. Lovely service. Thank you

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

The construction next door woke us up really early.
    • Executive King Room

The construction next door woke us up really early. And the check out process took way too long. They asked us to wait a few minutes but it took them close to 20 minutes to get back to us.

Comfortable bed and pillows, clean, good location, bar and...
    • Queen Room

Extremely noisy heater/cooler in my room, so loud we couldn’t run it and could hear what we believe were other rooms heaters thru the walls. Very noisy.

Comfortable bed and pillows, clean, good location, bar and restaurant onsite.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Good location and comfortable
    • Queen Suite with Spa Bath

The fire alarm went off no one advised us what was going on no information from staff and it appeared that there was no plan at all fire trucks where pulling up and no one was saying anything disappointing need training

Pool for the kids Lovely bar Great location for footy

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Fantastic position and outstanding breakfast

We had to turn the air conditioning off, because it was very noisy. In summer that could make the room very hot.

The staff were very helpful and the position is excellent. Breakfast was outstanding and it is definitely worth pre-booking for $22.

Great location, spotlessly clean, good staff
    • Queen Room

In a family apartment, I'd have liked a toaster, but apparently they're not permitted !!! Strange

Great location, spotlessly clean, good staff

Great room for our family.
    • Queen Suite with Spa Bath

Great room for our family. We had the queen spa room . The BEST location. We were within walking distance to everywhere we wanted to go. Staff were friendly and the room was very comfortable for us. We had a great stay.

Needs an update

There was confusion upon check in as apparently the room we were allocated was not ready (how is this possible at 6:30pm??) so it took a lot longer than it should have. The room was very small and dated. The bathroom was tiny and had a peeling bathtub, dirty buttons and everything was just a little grubby. The beds were quite small and the TV was so old the reception on some channels was very poor, changing channels resulted in a delay of a couple of seconds before the next channel appeared. God forbid you wanted to see a guide on this dinosaur. Advertising as having Pay TV is a bit of a stretch with the two or three channels they have. Come on, TVs are so cheap. Update! Check out was quick and easy until we went to get our car from the car park which was blocked in. The car park attendant seemed confused and it took some effort to get out. A few updates and this would be far better. I wouldn't choose to stay here again.

I liked that I didn't have to make my own bed.

Very central and close to theatres and restaurants.
    • Executive King Room

Our room was not ready until 6.00pm. The heater remote did not work nor the clock. Our room was very noisy as it seemed to be under the air conditioning unit of the building. But, the bed was comfortable and we slept better than we thought we would.

Very central and close to theatres and restaurants.

Value for money okay but our room needed renovating.

Very tired old room. No fan in bathroom. Why can’t hotels provide s toilet brush, I don’t expect anyone to clean the toot after me!!!!

Location, great buffet breakfast and very comfy bed .

Location convenient, unable to comment further.
    • Queen Room

The hotel badly needs a refit, old and shabby. The staff should smile as though they are enjoying their jobs.

The bed was magnificient and the location was excellent.

Was reasonable, but after all our complaints they still expected us to pay extra for the 3rd guest

Carpets, not vac’d Bathroom, short on towels Kettle area, t-spoons coffee still on them Sofa bed, mattress no fit for humans springs, Sofa bed, not made up before our arrival Mini fridge, no milk and warm.

The main bed was super soft

I’ve had some great stays at this hotel but this time was terrible...hit and miss
    • Queen Room

Our bed was made up of two single beds pushed together which is fine if one of them isn’t ready to collapse and sinks like the titanic..the aircon / heater is enormous and sounds like a jet engine which doesn’t help when your trying to sleep... we asked for an upgrade and happy to pay, clearly there were rooms available but the girl asked the manager who walked over looked at the screen said no and walked away.. I left a $150 bottle of aftershave in the bathroom but when I called in the next day it wasn’t anywhere to be found...not very honest ....so overall a disappointment...

The bed was extremely comfortable, lots of natural light and...
    • Queen Suite with Spa Bath

We turned on the spa bath, and it clearly hadn't been used in a while as a large amount of dirt came out of the jets. Particularly annoying as the bath took ages to fill up as the water pressure wasn't very strong.

The bed was extremely comfortable, lots of natural light and a great view.

As mentioned above service was A1, even carpark attendant...
    • Executive King Room

Other guests were a little noisy in the hallway but that cant be avoided and doesn't reflect on the exceptional service from your check in team.

As mentioned above service was A1, even carpark attendant was very helpful, friendly and happy.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Average. Wouldn’t be staying here again if facilities are the same.
    • Executive King Room

We stayed in room 1919. Needs updating. Bathroom was very tiny with a small bath and shower. Shower head was broken and would not stay in place. No exhaust fan so bathroom fogged up extremely quickly and in turn our whole room leaving everything wet and damp. Toilet was cramped in the corner between wall, door and shower. Air conditioner was broken and looked like filter had never been cleaned. For what we paid, we were extremely disappointed. Not sure if it was just our room but definitely needs an update!

Location was good and central to what we needed.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

The location was fantastic, walking distance from all the...
    • Queen Room

The staff in the restaurant were rude, not enough staff on for a Saturday night.

The location was fantastic, walking distance from all the main locations.

Room service very inefficient
    • Queen Room

Ordered room service waited for over an hour - rang to see how much longer and they didn’t have any record of my order so as it was then 10pm at night - I went to bed hungry Asked for a plug for my bath twice and it was still not provided so paid for spa suite but couldn’t use spa on last two nights

Bed and pillows and location of hotel

phillip charlesworth very nice and friendly quiet atmosphere
    • Queen Room

the only small thing was not enough English tea bags or any Arnott biscuits like you would find in other major hotels, an exhaust fan in the toilet or deodorant spray would be nice this is all I could think of.

Easy access to the room, bathroom and toilet facilities were clean easy, the bed was very comfortable and slept very well. if we needed any advice the girls at reception were only to please to give us a helping hand.

Absolutely loved the friendly staff and the swimming pool...

Unfortunately the carpets were very stained and there was mould in the shower which was bit concerning..

Absolutely loved the friendly staff and the swimming pool facilities...the restaurant in hotel was the best meal I’ve ever had. The location was perfect

Bed was great.
    • Queen Room

Cleanliness not what you would expect for such a high rated hotel. Front desk staff were rude at check in and parking was atrocious. wont stay again.

Bed was great.

good
    • Executive King Room

just find the toilet a bit tight...pity cant get rid of the baths in the rooms and have a bit more bathroom area when arrived in room rang reception to let them know that tv had a broken cable - no one was sent up to check it out. sunday morning mentioned it again about tv, we were out all day and when got back once again no one checked it out. Went down to reception 3rd time to inform them off the tv not working - I must say that the female staff I dealt with was lovely - so she found us another room to move too. It was a hassle to move but we did appreciate this, but hoped that they would have sorted this out on the Saturday when first let them know.

love the big beds-they are like someone puts there arms around you when you ly in them the view / restauarant / bar /position of rydges

We were upgraded from a queen suite to a 1 bedroom apartment
    • Queen Suite with Spa Bath

Unfortunately our room was beside the lift shaft, which was noisy at times during the night while trying to sleep

We were upgraded from a queen suite to a 1 bedroom apartment

Paper thin walls
    • Queen Room

Very thin walls - could hear everything going on in the next room and in the corridor - worst sleep I have had in a hotel in years. Tiny bathroom too - not fond of a shower curtain in the shower.

The location. Nice to stay in the Theatre district, close to lots of good restaurants and the "Paris end" of town.

Great location, but the room very small and need of updating.
    • Queen Room

With the Queen Room, the bathroom was very small. The airconditioning was not ducted and had an airconditioner in the room which was quite noisy. Not all amenities were in the room, but could be arranged with housekeeping.

Great Location and facilities within the hotel are handy. All the staff were very helpful

A great place to stay
    • Queen Room

A fair bit of road noise at night and in the early hours from our floor (14th), which is completely out of the control of the hotel.

Friendly helpful admin and cleaning staff. Comfy beds and pillows. Good adequate facilities, delicious food. Good location.

• Queen Room

When we got into our room there were no towels aside from the hand towels, which unfortunately didn’t become apparent to us till after we had a shower. But the issue was quickly resolved after a phone call to reception

We loved everything from the location to the cleanliness of...
    • Queen Suite with Spa Bath

There was nothing we didn't like .

We loved everything from the location to the cleanliness of the room and the restaurant was fabulous AAA ++++ all the staff were fantastic. Y