Reviews of Rydges Hotel Port Macquarie 4.5 stars

1 Hay St, 2444 Port Macquarie, Australia

#19 of 33 hotels in Port Macquarie

• Standard King Room

A tad pricey and dull lighting in room.

The location is amazing! I was greeted by happy and helpful staff members. The undercover private parking facility was extremely handy and not pokey like most places. The room was clean, spacious, extremely comfortable and had a great view. Zebu bar is an added feature to the hotel, full of atmosphere and lovely staff .

• Standard King Room

The hotel itself is a little outdated and over priced. For a Rydges resort I expected a little more for my money. $350 for a view of a police station doesn’t seem right.

Comfy bed. Friendly staff.

• Standard Twin Room

My Mum who is 94 could not have a shower as it is over the bath. Nothing to hang on to. No Foxtel.

Excellent location for everything. Water view from good on site bistro, cinema, shopping centre, hotel, Glasshouse.Huge rooms. Comfortable beds.

• Superior King Room with River View

Staff were absolutely beautiful. The room was so neat and tidy and the cleaning staff do an amazing job making up your room. Central to absolutely everything. Easy parking and great pubs.

• Standard King Room

More communication from the staff would have sufficed, rather rude and non plused about helping with any additional information about our stay or the facilities.

Absolutely nothing. Can’t make a comment on breakfast as I didn’t have any as we were not informed of the breakfast situation or timings upon arrival.

• Superior King Room with River View

We didn't have a balcony. We weren't aware of this when we booked the unit and would have specifically requested a balcony if we had known.

Great location, Great views.

• Standard King Room with Balcony

The room overlooking the pools was excellent and gave a wonderfull view over the jetty. Even got to see the local dolphins. Staff were pleasant without being in your face. Location is within walking distance for most amenities. An excellent place to spend holiday or work time.

• Superior King Room with River View

Was our 30th wedding anniversary they had put a bottle of wine with a nice card on our table in the room & gave us a late check out staff were great.

• Superior King Room with River View

Didnt rate the service very highly in the restaurant at breakfast. They forgot our drinks, then only gave us one of them and I had to go back to ask again. I ended up with a cup of coffee not a mug. Not very satisfactory.

The reception desk were extremely helpful and courteous, we actually arrived a little earlier than planned and everything was ready for us to book in on arrival. The room was lovely, the view was stunning, the bed and the pillows were really comfortable. Everything was perfect and we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Standard King Room

The appointed manager harnessing us by phone. Telling us to be quiet but when the security guard was sent up we were told by him that he could not even hear a peep from us and didn't understand why we were getting constant complaints. Another gaurd was sent up then accusing us of having other people staying with us! I opened our door even wider to show it was only my friend and I. Then we were told by the manger that we were welcome to leave and go out for the night and come back when we needed to sleep. I paid for a room that I could spend time in. Not be told to go out!

The bed was comfy

• Superior King Room with River View

Awesome river view from our balcony, comfortable beds Stayed for 3 nights and chose to "go green" - got $20 off our food/Beveridge bill

• Standard King Room

The furnishing was a little down at heel and the tub chairs in my room were the most uncomfortable.

Travelling alone I found it a very good choice, excellent location, helpful staff and very clean. As I will be in Port again this year I will stay at Rydges. The car parking facilities were also excellent , and easy to access.

• Superior King Room with River View

Parking of $12.50 per night.

Ideal location. Easy walking distance to shops and eateries and beaches Room had magnificent view of river and ocean. Bed was comfy.

• Standard King Room

We love everything about this hotel.

This hotel is in the best location, very comfortable bed & room. We also liked the bar/restuarant down stairs, they make really nice cocktails. very friendly staff in the bar area.

• Standard King Room

Very dated and spacious rooms have lots of wasted space. Lacking a few basics such as towel racks and a sofa.

Great location with beautiful views. Big, comfy rooms.

• Standard King Room with Balcony

The hotel pictures advised on the website and on booking.com are misleading. Hotel has a very small pool but in pictures in looks quite big.Also the rooms and our dated and overly priced

The location was good

• Standard King Room

I was really disappointed with the rooms provided, i booked multiple rooms for my family and we were on different levels, we asked if we could be all on one floor but staff were not helpful with this request. We also had trouble with the cupboard doors not shutting and would swing open, they were in the walkway so it was a real hazard especially for the kids.

Rooms were large and beds comfortable but really nothing special for the price.

• Standard King Room

I upgraded as I thought I would have a beautiful suite to celebrate my husbands birthday belatedly. The furniture was very tired and in need of an update. I would have liked a higher floor and to have had the parking cost included in my upgrade.

Loved the comfortable bed

• Standard King Room with Balcony

Booked room with balcony. This does not mean room with a view. Dissatisfied with location of room for the money. Room is tired. Needs upgrading.

• Standard King Room

Walls super thin, could hear lots of other rooms around us. TV did not work. View was a dumpster from the back of a pub, we were woken early in the morning from glass bottles being emptied into the bins outside the window

• Standard King Room

I understand it was the Easter weekend but i would have expected that,at the price we paid of $250 per night,we would not have had to ask for housekeeping to make up our room and then all they did was leave clean towels.There was also a 15% service charge which i do not have a problem with but the service in the restaurant/bar on Good Friday was bizarre....it appeared to be being run by some guys who were filling in from the back office.With the prices being charged ($50 for a steak) i would have expected better service.

Extra comfy bed and pillows.Very pleasant staff at reception.

• Studio

Some basic amenities missing in bathroom (toilet brush) and there was no exhaust fan so steam from the shower filled the entire room

The bed was so comfortable!

• Standard King Room

Room was very old and dated. Very dissimilar to the rooms they had photos of in the gallery. Very expensive stay for a view of the carpark. Bathroom very dated.

Ok location

• Two-Bedroom Apartment with Water View

Sadly when I went to make coffee in the morning the jug wasn’t clean had to clean before using, then when opening the cupboard were crockery was kept smelt very musty and dusty, the first coffee mug I grabbed was dirty the second one was clean but smelt musty/dusty.

The property is in a great position, staff friendly

• Standard King Room with Balcony

No bell service. I responded to Booking.com's offer to upgrade to a deluxe room with a river view and got a room overlooking the restaurant roof. The soap dish had been torn from the shower area and the room was a bit worn looking overall. Had to ask for a mat for the tub so we wouldn't slip and break our necks. In short, Motel 6 accommodations at Ritz prices.

• Standard King Room with Balcony

The first impressions of a hotel are experienced when you enter the lift and in the case of Rydges Hotel the lift carpet was very dirty and the lift and foyer smelt of cooked food. The room was clean but was well worn and in need of refurbish.

The location and views are great.

• Standard King Room

Our view from our room was of the drive through bottle shop and car park. Not the beautiful river front that we expected. As advertised everywhere.

The size of the room was fantastic.

• Standard King Room

Furniture due for a update

The Location is perfect our rooms view was ok would of liked to be a little higher , maybe informed at booking if their were better rooms at a higher cost maybe there was but did not Know .

• Two-Bedroom Apartment with Water View

The only thing that needs attention is the carpet. It is well worn and needs replacing. Everything else was well above average.

We had the best view, the best balcony and lots of roominess for each of us. Close to a mall and a supermarket. Great location. Staff were very responsive. The cleaning folk were in the room every day with fresh towels and made beds, cleaned kitchen, etc. Would happily return.

• Standard King Room

Our room didn't have a very nice view, but that cannot be the case for every room.

The location is amazing and very convenient. The rooms are comfortable and clean.

• Standard King Room

Disappointed with our room.. paid $220 for 1 night had a view of an alleyway and a window we couldn’t open.

The location was good- pitty we couldn’t see the view from our room. The bed was great very comfy

• Standard King Room with Balcony

Restaurant closed at 8:30, 5 minutes after I arrived from a 4 hour drive and wouldn’t serve me, disappointing service

Comfortable bed, large clean room, stunning views

• Standard King Room with Balcony

I didnt like that i paid over 350 for a king balcony room and i got a room on the 1st floor with my "BALCONY" facing the back wall of a pub and the resorts swimming pool. I was very disapointed if i had know i was getting that view and not the river view i would have got a room with no balcony. I also booked for parking but when i got there i was told no it was full and i had to park my car 5 min walk away in town.

The staff at the resorts bar zebu were nice.

• Deluxe King Room with Balcony

Great location right in heart of town. Wonderful water views, quiet didn’t hear any noise in our room even though over restaurant and pub next door. Great choice of cafes and restaurants within easy walking distance.

• Standard King Room

The room we were in was noisy - the plumbing all ran through a bulkhead so we could hear clearly whenever the bathrooms were being used in another room. Housekeeping care into the room at 9 whilst we were still sleeping and the bed was very uncomfortable. The decor was soulless.

• Standard King Room

The bathroom was not very good, the shower sprayed a lot of water onto the floor area in front of the bath causing my wife to slip over hurting her back, neck and shoulder. When reporting the incident to reception there was no incident report form to fill out. The kettle in the room didn't work when I took the kettle to reception the gave me a new on, but the old kettle's electrical integrity tag had expired in 2016, so was other items in the room.

• Standard Twin Room

The air conditioner was set on 18 degrees and it wasn't working properly as it was warm in the room. The temperature could not be changed.

The rooms were excellent and the bed was comfy.

NOTHING

we had a little problem where the fire alarm went off at the service desk for our room. one of the lovely staff came to investigate, nothing wrong or on fire so he said sorry for the inconvenience we will give you free parking. the next night the same thing happened. when the gentleman arrive at the door again he checked everything was OK and said I don't know how we will compensate for this one as we gave you free parking last night. to our surprise the front desk call us the next morning to advise that they were giving us 1 night free. so a great big thumbs up to Ridges Port Macquarie WE WILL BE BACK, THANK YOU.

• Deluxe King Room with Balcony

Annoyed that after getting $10 off food for not getting housekeeping everyday, we then had to pay a credit card fee when leaving!!! it doesn't add up really ,surely big companies can afford the fees when we have just spent $1,500 in the hotel!!!!!!

Great spot overlooking the river & close to town didn't have to take the car out, great walking area!! went for a ride on the seaplane just off the jetty, it was GREAT!!!!

• Standard Twin Room

I found the restaurant very expensive & way too fancy, when I booked & it said Australian cuisine I was expecting the choices of a variety of foods, from basic to fancy.

Staff very friendly & helpful Location was great Parking availability was great

• Standard King Room

Was very disappointed that for the price I paid, did not get me a balcony or a view. Also the cost of in room movies, for myself and for my 7 yo grandson, were ridiculously expensive.

Bed was amazing. Pool area beautiful. Breakfast delicious. Not much to fault, overall...

• Standard King Room

Not really sound proof, we could hear everything happening in the corridor. Not a biggy though.

Great location, right at the heart of Port Macquarie. I loved staying by the swimming pool and enjoying the view!

• Deluxe King Room with Balcony

The furnishings in the room were dated. The buffet breakfast was average. The hotel cafe is in desperate need of a 2nd barista at peak times. The management are addig too many charges to the bill. A room service surcharge, 1% surcharge for paying with a credit card,charging for parking. Overall the hotel was overpriced for what was delivered.

The location of the hotel was great.

• Standard King Room

Pool could have more shade. Other than that was excellent

Fantastic location. So close to shops and beach . Buffet breakfast was great. All staff lovely. Great pool overlooking breakwall & river

Nothing to not like

Best location in Port Macquarie. Walk to everything. Beautiful and unobstructed water views. Fantastic buffet breakfast. Friendly, helpful staff. Clean, spacious room with balcony overlooking water. Love staying here❤️❤️❤️

• Deluxe King Room with Balcony

The breakfast was average, not enough variety and the coffee machine broke down one day. We had to pay for coffee from the bar next door. Parking also was extra $12.50 a day.

Bed was amazing. View from room was spectacular and pool was refreshing and good for a swim when children were not around. I definitely recommend a stay here. Staff were always friendly and helpful and we will be visiting again.

• Standard King Room

Housekeeping was hopeless, the towels were dirty and i couldnt get the replaced and the hotel wasnt near the beach - it was on the jetty and someone pooped in the spa so it was closed off for the whole weekend! Breakfast was mediocre and it just wasnt what i paid for - would've been better if I did self-contained apartment!

The bed was comfy

• Standard King Room

Only certain rooms have views and balconies, and I believe these are the 2 or 3 bedroom apartments. The coffee from the machine at the buffet is terrible. At the price you pay for the room I believe parking should be guaranteed and not at an additional charge.

The location of the property is excellent. Buffet breakfasts are very good, but to get a decent coffee you have to pay for it. Bed was very comfortable.

• Standard King Room

I felt the rate charged was very overpriced for what was included. The room was very outdated, it smelt of mould and I left very underwhelmed. I wouldn’t return to this hotel.

Location was perfect! Close to everything.

• Standard Twin Room

The bedrooms need to be upgraded, extremelly outdated considering the price of this property was higher than a 5 star hotel in Melbourne or Sydney CBD.

the swimming pool was the only thing we enjoyed at this property

• Standard King Room with Balcony

We had room 210, there is a very large piece of furniture similar to a bureau in that room. It takes up a lot of space where a 2 seater lounge and coffee table could have gone. It had no use for us other than my husband putting his suitcase on top of it. Pillows are too soft.

Bed was comfortable and room very spacious. Cleanliness was very good. Excellent area to be in close to waterfront, shops and restaurants.

• Standard King Room

Although clean, the furniture and paint work in the room needed a freshen up.

The pool was great, excellent bar/cafe and you couldn't get a better location. We hardly used our car at all! We even had a surprise little balcony, which was great to enjoy the fresh air when the weather was good.

• Standard King Room

The hotel rooms are in need of an upgrade. WE paid $380 for 1 night (albeit peak season) but i would not expect to pay more than $150 to $180 for a room at the hotel.

The customer service and location are excellent

• Standard King Room

The best are amazing like sleeping on a cloud / rooms are private it was the school holidays but we didn’t hear any other guests while in our room

• Standard King Room

We often stay here on our way to our regular holiday destination, we stay here because of the high standard of customer service and accommodation. The staff are very accommodating and the facilities and location are hard to beat.

• Studio

The pool was filled to the brim with little kids, very loud, not comfortable to use. Pictures on the site are very misleading. Especially of the pool, it was a lot smaller and very, very crowded. The gym wasn’t as good as it could’ve been.

The beds were comfy.

• Superior King Room with River View

Paying extra for parking and potential not to have a space for your car per room. Spar would have been better and more luxurious than bath/shower. Pool was overcrowded with kids unsupervised... So not adult friendly, but otherwise would've been great.

Zebu Cafe great, clean, spacious, great location and view.

• Standard King Room with Balcony

The fridge was not cold then after a couple of days we realised it wasn't even on. Our first night we had to park in a nearby shopping centre. At the buffet breakfast you had to pay extra if you wanted a omelette. I have never had to do that anywhere so we only had breakfast there once.

The bed was very comfy. Very roomy. We loved where the hotel is

• Standard King Room

Personally I like a firmer bed, the pillow top is too soft. Bathroom could use an update but satisfactory. Unfortunately, because it was so busy, the price was high and there was no secure parking available.

It was surprising quiet on New Year's Eve. The best towels ever and a pretty comfy king size bed. The room was clean and everything worked ok. Great location.

• Standard King Room

Kitchen floor is very dirty with dirty grey curtains even damaged Dirty tray on the corridor from the room next to ours was not cleaned up over night Bar area (floor and tables) is a bit dirty as well

Staff extremely friendly, efficient and helpful Pool area very nice especially for children

• Standard King Room

Cleaning staff nocked on the door very early wanting to clean our room and on a very hot day the electricity went off so we had no air conditioning it really wasn't worth $350.00 a night.

• Studio

The view and the fact that we had no balcony

I was not happy I paid $750 for 2 nights, no balcony and we over looked the car park of a business...I have stayed in a lot of places in port Macquarie and I will NEVER stay at Rydges again..

• Standard King Room with Balcony

Dirty. Clumps of dirt in remote control on tv - gross. Layer of dust on alarm clock. Heard the motor of the air conditioning all night on the roof top. Breakfast eggs and bacon yuk!

location.

• Superior King Room with River View

Sewerage coming up through bathroom floor, bathroom basin leaks a lot of water. Restaurant downstairs has atrocious food handling practices. Horrendously expensive for what it offers.

Bed is decent, good location.

• Standard King Room

It was so expensive! Breakfast cost nearly $30 and I was staying in the hotel and my friends who were staying in a hotel up the road only paid $22!!! Privacy was non existent. I had a soft knock at the door and by the time I got up to answer the door, 3 staff members were letting themselves in so they could check my bar fridge!! This was really off putting. Next day I went to the basement to get a bag from my car, when I came back, a cleaner was in my room with the door wide open for the world to see! It was all a bit unnecessary.

I liked that it was convenient.

• Superior King Room with River View

very disappointing stay. Paid $350 for one night stay but was told there would be no parking available upon arrival. Had to park on the street during schoolies. When you pay $350 (which is Sydney price), you would expect it to at least come with PARKING. Fyi every other hotel i stayed at on this trip for less money all had parking!

not much

• Superior King Room with River View

Rydgers is a bad hotel, not clean at all. Dirty, very dirty bath. Windows never clean, the staff indifferent. We will never again will accomodatewith this hotel. The price unjustified at all.

• Standard King Room with Balcony

Dirty and extremely dated room! Especially the tea tray was really dirty and also the kettle. They didn't give us a room with a better view even though there was a room available. For the hotel it would be so easy to make customers happy but they don't seem to think so far.

Great location, nice pool area!

• Standard King Room

Parking was not great , having to pay 12.00 a day to park , then have to drive around looking for a spot shouldn’t happen. People parking in no parking areas so you could not drive thru.

Clean and comfortable

• Superior King Room with River View

We booked for 3 nights about a month ahead. Was given a room in the corner of building with no balcony. Yet there was people there for one night stay that had a balcony with views. Where does there priorities lay. The room 1st walk in smelt like wet dog. car park was tight and very full probably won't stay there again.

access to the town and the river/ocean walk

• Standard King Room

We had a dinner for a large group. The staff asked us to vacate the dining area for the bar. Problem was the bar manager had just closed the bar at about 9 pm for lack of clients but refused to reopen for our party of 30. Killed our lovely evening and cost the bar $$$$$$$$$

• Superior King Room with River View

Highly recommend either room service or eating somewhere else down town as Zebu Restaurant was overpriced for dinner. Main course was bland, very small portion size but expensive. ($37 for vegetarian and $43 for fish) More like a very small entrée rather than a main course. The room service menu is much better value, bigger serves at half the price. $22 for a very large and delicious serve of battered fish, tartare sauce, lemon ,chips and salad.

Immaculately clean, very spacious, great views of the Hastings River and river entrance. Very comfortable bed and pillows. Secure undercover parking. Great hot water pressure. Good room service. Friendly helpful staff. Short walk to The Glasshouse.

• Standard King Room with Balcony

Our room balcony was directly behind another building which blocked the view. Also it was very noisy due to the airconditioner units on that building

• Standard King Room

The room was on the eastern side of the building an overlooked the police station. It would have been nice to have a room facing over the river however it appears that these were reserved more for the rooms with 2 to 3 people and balconies. As A suggestion I think hotels should start providing the booking location schematic so you at least know what your in for.

Chef was awesome and no trouble at all to cook what i required.

• Standard King Room

Old needs refurbishment, bath had mould , carpet needed vacuuming up againt the wall full of dust and u could smell the dust , tub chairs are warm out and need replacing, just left dirty due to the chipped furnituring