Reviews of Rydges South Bank Brisbane 4 stars

Corner of Grey & Glenelg Street, South Brisbane, 4001 Brisbane, Australia

#23 of 148 hotels in Brisbane

• Standard Queen Room

We got woken up at 2am our last night when we were supposed to be getting up at 4am. Next door had ordered room service and told them the wrong number - maybe have a system to double check room numbers so this doesn’t happen as we had a 10 hour drive and were quite tired. Apart from that mishap we loved Rydges and will definitely be staying here next time.

Loved the cleanliness and freshness of the rooms and beds. Very helpful friendly staff, nothing was an issue. Very central to everywhere we had to be, mainly the expo which was held right behind the hotel at the convention centre.

• Standard Queen Room

I was disappointed to find out, on arrival, of the $40 per night car parking additional charge - surely that should be included in overnight cost! I arranged the day before to have my car ready in the morning - they forgot, and I was then late!

Good location. House keeping staff were lovely.

• Standard Queen Room

the price of parking I think could be reduced since you are already staying in the hotel ?? but with no parking in the adjacent area its hard to have a choice with the parking.. but in saying that the attendants were all very promtand helpful too

The location and easy going staff made it a pleasure to stay rooms very modern and clean and comfortable

• Standard Queen Room

For the price, the room was very average. TV did not work properly and the remote was almost useless. It was impossible to sync the tv to our smart phones so we were left with just 3 or 4 free to air channels and they dropped out all the time. Could not access Foxtel without paying. Bathroom did not have an exhaust fan and door would not close properly. Bed was comfortable but average and for $400+ would have expected a king size bed. And for that price would have expected a complimentary drink but everything in the room was user pays or better described as money gouging. A very disappointing stay for my wife’s 70th birthday. The hotel staff gave us refunds on our in house purchases but could not reduce the food price because we booked through your site.

Very average room. Have stayed in many budget priced rooms that were better; and this room cost us more than 400 dollars for the night.

• Deluxe Queen Room with River View

Main improvements i would suggest are based on room types available. Would have liked to see a spa bath option at this hotel. On that note, corner spa baths are the only ones worthwhile, baths with jets are misleading. Very few places in south bank or the city offer this. Also, an option for a larger room. More like the last rydges i stayed at near the brisbane showgrounds. Based on thus room itself, for comfort i would rate the furniture 6/10. And when booking online i looked for spa/massage options at this property amd found none. It was only when i got to the room itself i saw those options advertised, by then i would have booked a massage elsewhere.

The view was amazing, our room was gorgeous. Cocktail bar on site was incredible! Staff were amazing.

• Superior Twin Room

Excellent location, rooms were so clean and comfortable and staff were excellent with the service. Very welcoming foyer and everybody excelled in the service they offered. Would recommend this venue again for business or leisure.

• Standard Queen Room

We were over charged by $584 and during check in the receptionist gave me a funny look when I questioned the total amount that was being charged. We were very polite and also didn’t want to kick up a fuss as we had just been on a 24 hour flight from the UK. I checked out and during the day did my reconciliations as I knew something was not right. I did receive a refund for for the amount that was over charged, however there was no effort made by the property to give us something for the inconvenience. My business tend to chose this hotel for all their business trips and I shall be seeking another hotel to stay at next time.

The bed was very comfortable and rooms were always clean.

• Standard Queen Room

This hotel is perfectly situated on the South Bank of Brisbane - there are a lot of great restaurants, night markets, South Bank Park, Museums, Art Galleries and the Brisbane river nearby. The bed was amazingly comfortable and the room large and spacious. We enjoyed our stay very much.

• Standard Queen Room

Got hit with a $40 parking fee that we weren’t aware of for using the valet parking etc.. would have been nice to have been told at the start as we thought it came with parking

• Standard Queen Room

A/C was at -2 the whole time could reset the room temp.. Staff at breakfast did not bring my coffee. Staff at dinner did not bring my drink Seaffod pizza not quite cooked properly.

Comfy bed

• Standard Queen Room

Cold rooms,heating wasn’t very good and room service trays with leftovers were outside the room when we checked in AND still there the next day when we checked out

• Standard Queen Room

Couldn’t turn off the air conditioner. I booked the room in December last year and discovered I could have paid less than half of what I did if I had waited.

Location and bed

• Standard Queen Room

The upstairs restaurant was overpriced and our food was barely warm when served . While we didn't have time to have meat dishes there was not really any other choices except pasta. $35 for a plate with about 6 bits of pasta with a Luke warm sauce over the top does not make us want to go back. It was very disappointing

The staff were wonderful - polite , courteous and helpful The room was very comfortable , beautifully presented and exceptionally clean.

• Standard Queen Room

room key was disabled before I had checked out. had called in morning to confirm checkout was 1 pm. Staff confirmed. Went to go to room to pack and check out and key to room was disabled approx. 11:45- couldn't use lift, had to go to reception to activate the key again to have use of the lift and access my room with my belongings. Milk in fridge was opened

bed was comfortable.

• Superior Twin Room

The price! Way too expensive for the room. When I booked it said it was the best deal through booking.com and I thought breakfast and vallet parking were included. When I checked Rydges website I could have booked a mini suite and a family matters package for the same price or less with all the extras included!

Staff were great.

• Standard Queen Room

Taking the car, once you get off the street was good but took two attempts had to go round the block till driveway was clear enough to park

Staff always happy to help especially the guys on concierge desk, food at CBD cafe was great

• Standard Queen Room

Having to pay for parking, which is the first time this has occurred to our knowledge for the last three stays..

Where do I buy the bed.? Beatrice, Receptionist was extremely helpful, well presented.

• Deluxe Queen Room with River View

Disappointed that breakfast was only available up to 10am. We had a booking for 11 (8 adults and 3 children) however only one high chair available so we opted out as it was getting close to 10am.

Room service meals (dinner options) were boring (steak and lamb curry).

• Standard Queen Room

Hard to get computer to work with television. Toilet lid heavy and easy to drop down- very loud.

Room was great. Bed was very comfortable. View and proximity to Southbank was very good.

• Standard Queen Room

My request on Booking.com for parking was not replied to (with a cost), so the $35 to $40 cost came as a bit of a surprise.

Hotel's s location, size of room. Room on 11 th floor at the rear was quiet, and had a good view.

• Standard Queen Room

I needed to park in the Convention Centre ($35) as the Valet option was not something I chose to take up. This was not a major problem but thought was noteworthy.

Bathroom, kitchen facilities, excellent bed, tvs

• Standard Queen Room

Parking I need to use valet parking, didn't mind pay but expected it to be able to park on premises Unfamiliar with Brisbane and finding the place difficult initially.

Bed was great very comfortable , room was clean and quiet

• Standard Queen Room

Light sleepers, be advised that weekends are pretty animated in the area.

This hotel is just spectacular. We would not have been able to stay there if it weren't for a deal via booking.com - thanks! We stayed on the 4th floor, and the view was already awesome. Bed was comfy, bathroom pretty great. We didn't use much of the amenities, so I can't comment on that, but there were interesting options. The best thing about this hotel was certainly the location.

• Standard Queen Room

The breakfast is way over priced. $39 for two poached eggs, two pieces of toast a little bacon and coffee....yes it was the hot buffet, but the continental was near $30 anyway. Also, the chair for the desk is quite uncomfortable. I ended going to the library to study, so I could access a proper computer chair.

The bed was comfortable and shower pressure good. The room was reasonably noise proof, with good block out curtains

• Standard Queen Room

Maintenance were carried out while staying on the main entrance no direction were given how to enter or leave the premises

Friendly staff and very clean hotel and central location to everything

• Standard Queen Room

Staff on concierge were not always friendly. Long waiting times (30 minutes+) for concierge to bring car up from valet parking on check out.

• Standard Queen Room

There wasn't anything to really not like.

If you are in town for one or two days and taking in a show or performance at QPAC and wishing to take in the Art Gallery and Museum, then the Rydges is the ideal location as the airport link transfers you directly to the South Brisbane station which is 5 minutes walk away and the hotel is 5 minutes walk to QPAC and the Cultural precinct. The Rydges is clean and comfortable and a good base. Staff are friendly and there are lots of restaurants and cafes (albeit rather touristy) nearby. A walk along the river nearby is also most pleasant. Would recommend.

• Standard Queen Room

Only valet parking which has to be paid for and it took 30 minutes to get our car when we were leaving. Way too long. Would like all day breakfast in CBD cafe. Stops at 11am & wouldn’t make simple bacon & egg roll at 11.10am.

Accommodation great & location is superb.

• Superior Twin Room

We were in a room that was right about the rooftop bar and dj booth. We didn’t sleep because of the noise. Advice would be not to place young families in the room.

• Deluxe Queen Room with River View

Space around pool area. Was focused for night time bar.

Finding out I’m a valued customer after receiving an upgraded room at check in. As well as a late check out.

• Standard Queen Room

The breakfast buffet was poor , for what we paid we were very disappointed... been 2 so many buffet for the same price & this was a big disappointment...

Location was amazing, room was clean & very spacious...

• Standard Queen Room

There was nothing to complain about

Room was clean and the bed was so comfy. The location at Southbank Parklands was excellent...couldnt have picked a better place to stay. Beautiful area around the pool.

• Superior Twin Room

The hotel was so close to everything, a few minutes walk from train station, performing arts Centre and so close to all good food dinning. Then only a 38 minute train ride to airport. Our weekend with the girls was so easy.

• Standard Queen Room

Credit Card Fee appears to be loaded and had to pay up front (very weird). Bar downstairs - can't mix drinks and the food is below primary school level. Lack of effort by the GM to reply to a few of these pointers with an acknowledgement, despite them preempting this contact point on their email follow up = an inconsistent approach to customer care.

Room and Bar on level P where awesome! Young man on the front desk was a delight on check out.

• Standard Queen Room

Not much really, we asked for my husbands car to bee out of parking in the morning so he could go to work but they didn’t have it ready Comes with only a bar fridge already full so no place to put groceries/drinks . No cooking facilities in our room so get ready to spend but worth it :) Money well spent

Had Valet take our car into parking when we arrived AWESOME . Customer service was lovely and friendly spoke to us about their program signed us up for free - complimentary drink and discounts . Perfect location close to train station , movies , restaurants, Southbank Park . Great if you want to explore , take family , business and getaways . Spa , sauna and gym all in one area easy access .

• Standard Queen Room

A very hot deck to walk on in order to get to the pool.

The location to southbank and entertainment venues is fabulous. Being able to walk to many places .

• Standard Queen Room

The second morning we had breakfast we were asked if we require coffee I asked for flat white and my wife asked for a peppermint tea and was told the tea making facilities are over there . first morning the tea was made for her and brought to the table need to be consistent in what you do .Also had trouble with room service things forgotten and we had to remind the girl who brought it that items were missing. She did bring them back to us .

The service in the hotel reastraunt was excellent and the food in Bachus was vey good The waitress we had was a credit to the reastraunt and I forwarded my comments on to the gentleman at the paying station he was either one of the head waiters or maitredee and he was going to pass on this to the young lady

• Standard Queen Room

Room servicing was late in the day

Perfectly located in the heart of Southbank. Hotel is modern, comfortable and perfectly located. Outdoor pool and bar area was a highlight!!

• Standard Queen Room

I had to call reception who sent maintenance as I was unable to adjust the freezing air con. It was successfully disabled for my comfort but next day house keeping turned it on again so arrived to it unbearably cold again. When sitting in the bar area the staff members rolled a large container on wheels through the seated area making a huge noise unaware it was upsetting the patrons. should wait till closed.

The bed was very comfortable, the location excellent. I was at a conference next door. Lots of dining options near by

• Standard Queen Room

I went to the hotel to stay away from my kids and work long hours with free wifi. Unfortunately I was put in a room connected to another bedroom in which there was a family and I could hear kids screaming the whole time. It was distracting to get my work ready The wifi is very slow.

We love Rydges!

• Deluxe Queen Room with River View

Location great... Handy to southbank and city...pool area nice... Nice food ..but expensive in relation to other restaurants in the area

Car parking expenses over the top... 40.dollars a day...

• Standard Queen Room

We thought the parking could have been cheaper

Everything was modern, the room was very cosy with the comfiest bed ever! The location couldn't be more perfect.

• Standard Queen Room

no open windows ore balcony and freezing air con - p;ut it as high as possible but still freezing allergic o doonas but no blanket so put all my clothes onoo top awful night

bed comfy, sauna and spa quite good after ad freezing night

• Standard Queen Room

The lift is very slow and often full, so you have to wait twice as long to be able to even get in the lift on those occasions.

Great location with comfortable beds and rooms.

• Deluxe Queen Room with River View

Public holiday surcharge for in house guests is a bit on the nose. The trainee at check in could do with some supervision and guidance with basic customer service skills.

• Standard Queen Room

That there wasn't much privacy in the swimming pool, felt like the swimmers were the entertainment almost however we made use of the local lagoon so this comment isn't so much a dislike but more as an elderly person a more private part of the pool would have been nice.

During our stay the Rydges were noticeably busy with the England Commonwealth team, despite my friend and I felt just as much looked after from the valet service at entry to the beautiful reception we received at the door as well as the counter service. Exceptional

• Deluxe Queen Room with River View

Toilet paper wouldn't tear easily but lacked softness, could hear lady next door chastising children clearly from 929, had TO WAIT A LONG TIME FOR CAR, $40 for a small bottle of bubbly in the mini bar too expensive to contemplate!

bed comfy. NICE TOUCH BOWL OF EASTER EGGS ON RECEPTION. View and balcony wonderful - a door that opened onto outside air.

Rydges could have let customers know that 290 Athletes from UK were staying in their facility. It was noisy, inside the hotel at all times of the night, people coming and going on the floor we stayed on. Outside the constant humming of air intake from large building opposite was so disturbing that we couldnt use balcony! No cups (coffee) in the room, The extra bed required was like sleeping on a bannana.

Extra bed was horrendous

• Deluxe Queen Room with River View

We were on the 5th floor and had a lovely view of the lights of the CBD. The bed was so comfy we slept later than we planned to. Was only a short walk to QPac to our concert.

• Deluxe Queen Room with River View

Check in was extremely busy due to a Commonwealth Games team being moved to the Athletes Village. We had contacted the hotel the day before and requested an early check in without any suggestion or warning that the day of our check in would be extremely busy due to most of the hotel having a late check-out. If we had known in advance, this wouldn't have been an issue however not to advise us was disappointing.

Very comfortable bed however the largest they offer is Queen size.

• Standard Queen Room

only downside is the tap and washbowl are installed in an awkward way so that water would splash out every time you wash your hand or face.

the coffee at breakfast. rooms are clean. terrace bar is a good place to chill. big glass window.

• Standard Queen Room

The pool area was a bit of a disappointment. It was more an above ground pool set in a bar than a relaxing pool area. The noise from the hallway was a bit louder than I would have expected

A great location. Nice meals in the CBD cafe

• Standard Queen Room

The bar/bistro area is a little tired now. We had a coffee and toast there before our departure.

We are repeat clients having stayed many times now over some 15 years each time we visit Brisbane so familiarity with the hotel combined with its location and good service/facilities dictate why we continue to choose Rydges.

• Superior Queen Room

The time it took for our car to come up... prob could have gone through the vallet process with us with checkin maybe could have called in advance before we went down...

Oh the bed was so comfy

• Deluxe Queen Room with River View

It was raining when we first arrived so getting a park or finding a valet was nearly impossible. One of the lamps in our room didn’t work either.

The room was a decent size .

• Standard Queen Room

Needed the location, which was excellent for my business purposes, but think $40 per day is a little cheeky for valet parking, especially when it is located under the building.

• Deluxe Queen Room with River View

People next door came in at 1am and partied til I called reception at 5.30am. The walls were very thin - perhaps through the locked adjoining room door. Ok fine, disappointing but not the hotel's fault - but good customer service would have involved at the very least a follow up comment at check out the next morning - instead not even a 'how was your stay?' Breakfast was overpriced for what it was, worth it only to have the 'breakfast in bed' experience.

Great location, awesome bed. Bacchus restaurant food was to die for and staff at the restaurant were great.

• Standard Queen Room

The room was excellent, staff friendly & location good for food & many activities ie cinema, Southbank park lands, Brisbane river walk etc & a quick walk across the bridge to Brisbane City.

Nothing I can think of.

Room was clean and luxurious and the balcony a bonus. Pool, bars and restaurant excellent. So close to entertainment, galleries, southbank etc. Staff very helpful.

• Standard Queen Room

There was water stain inside the tea pot. Better to have a whole shower curtain or door. The water was easy splashed out while taking shower.

Didnt try it because no free breakfast was offered. It’s a shame.

• Standard Queen Room

Car Parking The attendant had lost my car keys - it took 10 mins to find them thrown on the desk. I then had to wait 20 mins for the car to be brought up while others who were in line behind me had their cars brought up within 5 mins. I was late for my next appointment

• Standard Queen Room

The pool bar was beautiful - I would have had a swim but there were kids jumping around so I passed. Maybe an adult spa would be a nice addition?

The upgrade to a room with a view was worth it; we were thrilled when we opened the curtains to see the Brisbane scenic vista! We loved the breakfast too; especially the little bottles of juice! It was so handy to have the valet service which took all the stress out of parking! A final parting gesture of two icy bottles of water courtesy of the concierge was the cherry on the top for an absolutely wonderful stay.

• Superior Twin Room

a bar area that was not booked out for a private function inside a hotel that I paid to stay at also. the showers just steamed out the whole bathroom and you could not use the mirror for atleast five mins after we had dried the whole bathroom down form condensation. we booked a room over looking the city, huh, level 2 balcony view of the back of a building "enjoy your stay"

bailing to another hotel was the best part

• Standard Queen Room

There was an issue with the pool one morning. It was past 7:00 a.m. (the posted hour was 6:00 a.m. to be opened) and it was still locked. There was no staff nearby and no one at the front desk seemed to know where the key was. It took 20 minutes to get it open, not a huge issue, but still, someone should know how to unlock the pool gate without calling maintenance.

The location was ideal for my purpose of travel and the room quite comfortable. The staff was very helpful with luggage hold and being able to fresh up as I arrived very early in the morning and there was no room available to check in.

• Superior Twin Room

Did not know restaurant was closed for upgrading. We were given 1 voucher for a free Drink and when we went to get drunk bar staff were quite rude and said we could only have a beer and not a wine or spirits. I found this rude and distasteful. Not so much that we could only have a beer but it could have been handled in a more polite professional manner.

Great location. Wonderful room overlooking Southbank. So good be able to walk to Southbank and the markets. Great little restaurants and cafes in the strip up from Rydges.Reservation staff very friendly.

• Superior Queen Room

A view of the city would have been great, but not everyone can be on the top floor.

Check in, valet parking, clean comfy rooms,the chilled bottles of water for the drive home. Loved the scent of the fresh orchids in the foyer near the lifts.

• Standard Queen Room

The room was very comfortable and clean. The buffet breakfast for the money was a big fail. The egg benny was the worst I have ever eaten..the bun was impossible to eat the eggs were hard and the sauce brilliant. No coffee offered..so made a tea. We went to a wedding , that's why we stayed at the same hotel. We have stayed here on several occasions.

• Standard Queen Room

Bed was not the comfortablest but did the job. Price for parking was very expensive will not leave car next time.

We lost power from storm needed aircon. We have chronic pain and are bed bound a lot of the time so it was great.

• Standard Queen Room

I looked in the check in info left on the bed, and that's where I saw the pool hours were something like 6 to 6, personally we love night swimming, after a long day, so we never saw the pool.

The bed was heavenly!

• Standard Queen Room

Room was smaller than I thought they would be but very clean and we only needed it for a night stay

We liked how convenient it was to get the exhibition convention center and the valet parking is very helpful

• Deluxe Queen Room with River View

THE COST OF $20.00 PER NIGHT PER VEHICLE FOR PARKING WE THOUGHT WAS A BIT EXPENSIVE

ENJOYED THE CONVENIENCE OF EVERYTHING WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE, THE VARIETY OF THE BARS/FOOD AREAS IN THE MOTEL AND THE IDEA OF BEING ABLE TO GET FOOD AT LATE HOURS FOR THOSE THAT NEEDED IT.

• Standard Queen Room

maybe parking at $40.00 per night was a little expensive (especially as there was no alternative)

Location was perfect. Loved being in the middle of the city and right on the waterfront. Room was so comfy and very quiet. Spacious and have absolutely everything that I needed. The pool and cocktail bar was fabulous. Could not fault this stay in any way.

Tea making only.

Fine dining wasgreat, despite our need to finish early to get to our theatre booking. Great food and very professoinal, helpful dining room staff. We always enjoy fresh milk in the fridge, to make tea, but dried is OK.

• Superior Twin Room

Nothing open after midnight, no lounge no bar, Southbank itself was also very quiet & all but closed late on a Friday night. Worse of all was when we wanted a nightcap of coffee & spirit; room service does not serve either after midnight - very annoying & poor form. If you can’t get it anywhere in the hotel or general area, you should be able to rely on 24/7 room service, right😏

Very comfy, big rooms & good location

• Standard Queen Room

With the street café closed, presumably for renovations, a recommendation to another similar venue for a light snack would have been handy. The formal restaurant was not what we were looking for as we only wanted to eat a light meal and did not want to use room service and have to eat in our room.

The bed was very comfortable and the TV a decent size.

Browse Rydges South Bank Brisbane traveller photo gallery