Reviews of Rydges Southbank Townsville 4 stars

23 Palmer St, 4810 Townsville, Australia

#68 of 75 hotels in Townsville

Dirty cups, dusty glasses, fridge didn't work.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Dirty cups, dusty glasses, fridge didn't work. Reception didn't care just 'appreciated' the feedback. I also booked a room for two adults and one child, only one queen bed in the room, I told them in the morning, we got by it was only one night. They 'appreciated' the feedback and blAmed booking.com!

Terrible bathroom, dirty hotel, unprofessional staff
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Everything else Horrible horrible bathroom!!! Dirty hotel everywhere Dirty lift Dirty toilet Dirty bathroom tiles and ceiling Dirty carpets everywhere Unprofessional stuff Gym far away $25 for breakfast where you always had to wait for something Paint was come off every surface You get better quality in a caravan park.

The bedroom itself was ok Nice soap Old grandma style chef (our son loved her - probably the only warm person in the entire building) Anytime fitness gym entry

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Apart from the above we would like to continue staying at Rydges, Townsville as we enjoy the friendl
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Only the leaky taps in bathroom

Have always stayed with Rydges Southbank as we love the location and the staff have always been very obliging. But the bathroom was not up to standard, with leaky taps and water all over the floor.

Good for the price but for longer than a couple of nights you could do better
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The room was in need of modernising. For the price it was what we expected but there comes a time when all hotels need to reinvest to keep their relevance and maintain their quality. We would stay overnight again for the price but if you are looking a high quality room for a long stay you might find better. Beds were small and I have had better sleeps.

Staff were very accommodating and welcoming, location is excellent and restaurant is very appealing. The view from the lower rooms was OK and we could see over adjoining properties but higher floors would provide a much better outlook. Rooms facing the street may also be more interesting.

Great place to stay would recommend it to people looking for a good time in Townsville
    • Deluxe Queen Room

No windows that opened for fresh air !! apart from that everything else was good

Location, location with this hotel just a great place to stay on Palmer St. good pubs , cafes, restaurants right at your door & walkable distance to the Strand. Very nice staff , very friendly & helpful.

Nice location, terrible room service and room falling apart
    • Superior Room

When we arrived at the Rydges check in was simple and Victoria was friendly. Up in our room the lightbulb in the bathroom wasn’t working and there were no tissues and there was no ‘back layer’ on the curtains. The shower also spit water in all directions including onto the ceiling which then dropped back down onto me when I was in the shower and wet my hair. Victoria fixed the light. Also the view was a car park and a construction site. The next day our bed wasn’t bad and room service left us a note to say they didn’t make the bed because there was a shirt and a handbag left on the bed. Incredibly rude. By the the last day the back part of the curtains had been replaced but it was too late

We liked Victoria - she was very helpful.

Was enough for one night, but I wouldn't recommend for a longer period.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

The bathroom was terrible. Damaged tiles, old shower curtain that didn't keep any water in.

Beds were very comfy. Car parking and location were very convenient.

Bed very comfy, pool great, room was clean and had every...
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Just needs a bit of an up date especially bathroom

Bed very comfy, pool great, room was clean and had every thing you needed. Girl at reception was lovely and very welcoming.

The check I staff were amazing, even taking photos of us...
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The rooms are getting a bit outdated and the bathroom rubbish bin still had something in it.

The check I staff were amazing, even taking photos of us when we asked. Friendly, professional & courteous.

I thought that it wasn't up to Rydges high standed
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Bathroom need renovating. Curtain hooks to be hung in their slot. I was on the 1st floor, yet my room was serviced only once at the end of the day.

I thought that it wasn't up to Rydges high standed

Overall, the stay was great and I will return.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The pillows weren't very good which made sleeping a little tough - but the mattress was comfortable.

Lovely service by the staff and also a very easy and swift check in. Liked that the bed wasn't two singles pushed together like many other hotels. Good sized TV.

Bed was comfortable, room was quiet.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Room outdated , bathroom rundown, water pressure in shower terrible 👎🏾 could hardly wash soap off and replenishing toilet paper would have been nice!!

Bed was comfortable, room was quiet. Great location

The location is fantastic and the rate is perfect for a...
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Usually the beds are amazing but the one we had this time was terrible and not comfortable and the parking was an issue with a lot of outside people not staying at the motel parking there for neighbouring resturants.

The location is fantastic and the rate is perfect for a frequent traveller like myself

A nice pleasant stay without being super fancy
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The rooms are starting to look a bit dated and the underground car parking was rather tight for larger cars.

Clean and comfortable without being over fancy

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Didn’t spend much time in the room so that was good
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Bathroom still had Bobbie pins on the floor and soap in the shower Old air con vent was dirty and opened up directly to the outside

Bed was comfy and location was great

Bed was very comfortable.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Room was not very clean, carpet needed vacuuming and room was dusty. Also no recycling facilities!

Bed was very comfortable. Location was great walking distance to a lot of activities.

Lovely stay
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The bathroom was a little smaller then expected, but still nice

The room overlooked the pool and bar, the bed was very comfortable and the staff were very friendly

Check-in lady was lovely.

I found an empty beer bottle in one of the drawers in the cupboard. The shower unit was very old and worn and the handbasin was stained. We went to the bar to meet people and they had no Bundaberg rum and I heard bar staff tell another customer that also asked for it, that they had had none for 2 weeks. What bar in Queensland doesn't have Bundy rum especially when there is a bottle shop 6 doors up??? Also had no diet coke at all or cold coke in the fridge. Had to call bar staff and ask for another drink when we were the only 3 sitting at the bar. May need basic training on stocking fridges and providing basic bar drinks.

Check-in lady was lovely. Handy venue to stay at and the beds were comfortable and the room was clean.

ok, but due to the family being put out with no extra bed for our son, we would not stay there again
    • Deluxe Queen Room

we stayed here with my 4yr old son, only a double bed nothing else. had to request a blanket as none were in the room, toilet was very dirty.

bed was comfy, really close to everything in town, the restaurant was excellent

Oldie but a goodie! Great price great location
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The Car park filled up on the weekend and when we returned at night we couldn’t get a spot inside the gate. Was a busy night in town though. You can tell this hotel has been around for a while and is a little older compared to others on Palmer street, but still very comfortable and very affordable. We got a great price on the room and would have returned the following weekend on our way back home but it was all booked out.

Nice tidy room with plenty of room to move and store your luggage. Good location and easily accessible. If you leave the “no service required” sign on your door each night you get a $10 voucher to use at the restaurant and bar downstairs. Had a beautiful meal downstairs.

Disappointing.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

On arrival, there was no attempt at assisting us with bags (I have advanced Parkinsons Disease & so find it difficult to load / unload and man-handle luggage trolleys). When I loaded my bags & took them to my room, I found the security lock on the door was broken off the wall, the shower constantly dripped (needed new washer) and other trivial issues that were not an issue for me. These things are perfectly understandable in any hotel of this vintage so I do not complain about them. The only thing that I expect is an occasional smile and a polite attitude from staff, however maybe I am just expecting too much. Afterall, I did arrive 90 minutes early and request a change to a double room change if possible (as my son would possibly visit) & immediately offered to pay any difference). Pesky customers!

I liked the location of the hotel.

I have stayed at a lot of Rydges and the one in Townsville...
    • Deluxe Queen Room

I have stayed at a lot of Rydges and the one in Townsville was the best one of them all I would recommend that one to anyone who wants to stay there it is way better than the ones that I have stayed in cairns and Townsville was the best of them all

Pay the extra $50 and upgrade
    • Deluxe Twin Room

So very dated, in dire need of a refurbishment. There was a stench of bleach throuhoit the hotel. Shower was probably the same one installed in the 80s, if you used shampoo bubbles would rise up the middle bathroom drain. Carpet by bathroom was drenched on our arrival. Air con was pretty stuffy and smelly recycled air.

Location was great and front receptionist was friendly.

Excellent location
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Super friendly staff. Awesome room. Love the voucher for passing on room service. Buffet breakfast & restaurant was yum! Extremely convenient to town & bars. Will gladly recommend.

3 day stay
    • Deluxe Queen Room

It needs updating, and the bathroom was in desperate need of tlc, and a good scrub. Very little room information such as room service, t.v guide and town map etc etc.

Comfortable bed,

The room was very comfortable a cosy .

There was no microwave.

This hotel was convenient and close to stores and restaurants and a short walk to the strand where my granddaughters just loved to visit.

adequate
    • Deluxe Twin Room

overall it was a bit tired and dates for what i expected a rydges would be. 500m from the strand, maybe as the crow flies. it was certainly clean. the tv remote was dodgy. the staff were very nice. it wasn't bad, just not what i really imagined from what i read.

Good to come back.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Service was ok, a little slow in the restaurant.Not the best view over Townsville, go for Oaks or Quest if you want that. Minor quibbles really.

Remembered this place as nice but unexceptional. It was better, nice dinner in the restaurant, nice room, pleasant view. Perfect location on Palmer Street, lots of good eating options.

Have been looking for a place to stay in Townsville and will have no hesitation in staying again.
    • Superior Room

At that level of accommodation, I was not happy with the fact that I had to pay $4 for a bottle of water. I ate at the restaurant and did not enjoy my meal. I had rump steak and mash and the steak was full of sinew.

I was particularly impressed with the standard of the room and the service from the staff. The bed was very much to my liking and the view was beautiful.

Dissatisfied
    • Deluxe Twin Room

The fire alarms went off and were so dull we weren’t woken up by them, (not a drill) no one checked rooms or counted heads. The rooms weren’t properly cleaned, there was no cutlery - spoons for coffee.

The location was great.

Relaxing, even with 4 children make that 5 including the hubby!

The beds need to be replaced n bathrooms need a revamp other then that 9/10 oh and the A/C needs to be quieter.

Loved the location close to restaurants and all in walking Distance

Great location and breakfast was fantastic with the older...
    • Deluxe Queen Room

I booked for 1 adult, 16year, 10year, 3year old and it have me a queen deluxe room. It didn’t have existing bedding and we all had to share 1 bed-not very comfortable after being up and driving since 230am and I just wanted a good night sleep, just not with all of us in the one bed. Also had 2 cockroaches alive🤮not the best stay...

Great location and breakfast was fantastic with the older lady entertaining my kids and gave them colouring in sheets, that was my highlight of staying there.

It was okay but wouldn't stay there again.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

The airconditioning didn't seem to be working then started to work. We woke up to a hot room and all felt like we had the flu with dry throats which we suspected it to be from the airconditioning. Once we were out of the room we felt better almost immediately. The windows were very dirty and you could see where they did "try" to clean them but it showed a smear of a quick wipe over.

It was an older hotel which we didn't realise until getting to our rooms, however the beds were very comfortable and the rooms were very spacious.

Location was amazing and was easy to access.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

When we arrived at the room one of the beds was completely covered in hair. We asked for the bed to be remade but there was no one in the motel to do that so we had to move rooms. Our kids were thirsty and we wanted a drink ourselves, we asked to get some sent to the room but were told that we couldn’t until after 6pm but there weren’t any drinks in the mini bar that were appropriate. The bathrooms are extremely dated and need some work considering the price that is charged and what is expect from a Rydges. Because of change of room we only had 2 towels, when asked if we could get two more I was told to go to the pool area and get my own.

Location was amazing and was easy to access. Beds were super comfy. Man at reception was lovely.

Customer service was good
    • Superior Room

No butter as a choice for toast. Rooms are very outdated. Curtains for the shower went out back in 1980s.

Customer service was good Location was good. Breakfast selection was good.

Room was clean & staff were friendly.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Property is very aged compared to other places we’ve stayed in the area for the same cost. Due for an update, bathroom particularly

Room was clean & staff were friendly.

Location - very convenient to eateries and CBD.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Location - very convenient to eateries and CBD. The rooms was large and comfortably furnished, but the bathroom shows it's age! The restaurant was good with an innovative selection, although some staff were a little amateurish but friendly and helpful.

We will definitely stay here again.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Perfect location. Easy walk to city centre and The Strand. Plenty of eating options available within walking distance of the hotel. Perfect weather.

An ideal place to stay for a business trip
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The room was excellent and exceeded my expectations. I had a great sleep. Restaurants are within walking distance. I was upgraded to a room with a small charge.

Comfortable for a short business trip or family on a budget holiday.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Extremely rude front reception staff when checking in and the breakfast was ridiculously expensive.

Clean and comfortable room for the purpose of a business trip.

Won't be back!
    • Deluxe Twin Room

The room was outdated and looked so run down. The painted tiles in the bathroom has partly peeled away. Felt misled after looking at photos online. Air-conditioner was loud so to fall asleep we had to open a small window and take what we could get. Also the mini bar light shone into the room, not great unless you want to sleep with a night light. We covered it up with towels. Would not stay here again. We stayed at a motel the night before that was much more comfortable.

Location in town was great as the hotel was located on a great strip of restaurants. Parking looked tight downstairs bit there was an overflow car park in the back.

Very comfortable bed and pillows and was able to connect to...
    • Deluxe Queen Room

There was a minor rattle with the air-con. It didn't affect my sleep at all but was a constant noise in the background. The bathroom is probably a little dated and old now

Very comfortable bed and pillows and was able to connect to the internet and use it as and when I wanted

Very disappointed we come often but not anymore as the room they gave us had mould inn bathroom notw
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The front desk the man was not at all helpfull and he was quite rude not interested to help at all tall man Rosalie came out and then helped us and fixed our room she is vety helpfull please mention to managment

Bed comfy

The room left a lot to be desired but the breakfast made up for it.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The room was shabby for a Rydges. Very dark in lighting. The walls had huge paint chips on the wall, dingy, the window looked down into a dirty car park when I had selected a room with a view.

Loved the breakfast. Wide variety, tasty, lovely staff. The bed was quite comfy

My stay overnight was lovely, I would definately stay there again
    • Deluxe Queen Room

I was very disappointed in the state of the bathroom. The shower recess appeared dirty on the floor and there was mould on the back of the bathroom door and around the door frame.

The bed was really comfy and the large window put in plenty of natural light in the day time. Air-conditioning was fantastic, not to cold and not to warm

Very old and dated hotel, sick of hotels advertising rooms online that look nothing like the photos.
    • Superior Room

The room was very unclean; covered in dust, floor not vacuumed, mirrors dirty, hair in bathroom, paint peeling, found a safety pin on the floor, luckily before my 9 month old daughter who is crawling. The air con kept adjusting itself so the room would go from hot to cold.

I won't stay again
    • Deluxe Twin Room

The elevator was dirty, rooms were dirty, the taps kept rattling. Very dusty the floors.

Location was great . The cabinet where the iron is kept is clean. Staff was pleasant.

I left wondering if I would like to stay again
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Twice my room privacy was broken. Once by housekeeping who came into my room while I was sleeping 8:30 am and once when I was leaving 9:30 am by a workman who had been told the whole floor was vacant and very surprised to see me. The lady on the front desk offered no compensation for these intrusions.

Fantastic value for money!
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The bathroom needed refurbishing but it didn't matter. It was still clean and toiletries were provided.

The bed was incredibly comfortable and the hotel location is fabulous. Plenty of restaurants and pubs right outside the front door.

Great location, staff very friendly and helpful, spacious and comfortable room.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

The tiles in the bathroom have been painted over and the paint was peeling off on various parts of the floor.

Hotel was very well positioned. Room was very comfortable.

Tired - needs renovating!
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Rooms are old, bathroom is old and in very bad condition. Overpriced for what you get. Needs a major Reno ASAP! Restaurant is really expensive.

Beds are comfortable

Comfy and nice
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Needs a little TCL in rooms. Looking old and needs fresh paint. Not as clean as some hotels I've been in. Stains on the wall and on the bedding

I absolutely loved the bed. The staff were so helpful. Easy access with parking. Smoking area was really nice. Pool was a great size. Lifts were quick.

Breakfast was amazing and staff were absolutely fantastic!
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Bathroom was tiny, and because the shower only had a curtain, water went everywhere! Beds were stiff and uncomfortable! Mini bar was packed, which prevented me putting by babies food in there properly or our own beverages. Doors were heavy and not sound proof, which I then felt terrible everytime my baby cried, not wanting to wake/disturb other guest. And vice versa I could hear our neighbours being sick after a big NY and everytime they went to the toilet...Compared to other places I've stayed with friends on the same floor, right next door, who couldn't hear our infant cry

Breakfast was amazing and staff were absolutely fantastic!

Good array of food
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Unfortunately there was maintenance that had to occur throughout the night and heavy machinery was very loud. Aside from this which would be a very rare event the venue was excellent,

Good array of food

Breakfast was amazing, rooms not so much
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The rooms are quite outdated and the bathrooms are so small. Our room had 3 blown bulbs throughout one being the bathroom so we had to use a lamp.

I loved the included breakfast and the beds and pillows were amazing

Polite friendly staff. Good location. Hotel in need of a freshen up and a good clean
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Property due for refurbish.. paint peeling off tiles in bathroom, lots of paint chip in walls. Daily room cleaning ordinary. Beds not really made that neat. Restaurant and mini bar menus had children’s drawings all over them.

Great restaurant for evening meals

Great for a short stay!
    • Deluxe Queen Room

It’s a bit of a walk to the ferry where you go to Magnetic Island and get the greyhound bus from, but uber’s weren’t too expensive.

We loved our stay at Rydges. Really nice room which was a great size, the bed was so comfy. It was perfect for what we needed and the breakfast was delicious. The pool was also lovely and a nice cool down from the hot weather!

Value for money
    • Deluxe Queen Room

There was a very musky smell in the room when we arrived, however once air circulated was ok! We dined at the on-site restaurant (Southbank Grill) for dinner, ordered the $35 400gm steak and had to send back twice as I asked for rare and received medium well and Bleu. Left feeling rather disappointed with the whole experience. Bathroom and carpets in room very dated.

Bed was super comfy, room was clean and pool and spa was great. FREE wifi! Great value for money! Breakfast was included in the price which was great!

Helpful staff, great buffet breakfast.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Bathroom had peeling tile paint over much of the floor surface and obvious chips on the vanity and shower recess. Not what we had expected from Rydges.

Helpful staff, great buffet breakfast.

Enjoyable due too the location of the property
    • Executive Suite

Cleanliness, the property needs upgrading especially in the rooms as the room we stayed in had wood slates that were screwed shut and holes in the wall from old rails that had been removed, staff required better mannerisms

The property is well located, front desk persons were very helpful

I had to book last minute-rental wasn’t ready 3 days of bliss ☺️
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Haha such a petty thing but the carpet in my room was very old school and well the shower water didn’t stay contained in the shower with only a curtain. No Biggie but :-)

I loved the free $10 voucher for no room service. The restaurant has the best pork belly ever!! And well Free breakfast included was fantastic. Coffee does need work. I only bought one and it was too strong. The room was always just the right temp. Very happy camper

Excellent value for the price.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The room was huge and comfortable.The bathroom was a little dated! The staff were very nice and helpful. Breakfast was wonderful and included in the price! First time i have see Eggs Benedict on a hotel buffet style breakfast!

Good location/fine for overnight stay
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Rooms and hotel is quite old. Would not recommend to to stay for a few days- fine for overnight visit . Some pics on booking.com do not match actual hotel. Bathroom was very tired and poor condition ( not 4 star standard)

Good location, undercover parking, got a last minute rate that included breakfast, wifi was good and free. Rooms were good size.

Our kids love the swimming pool with spa and the breakfast...
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Nothing to say, all goods.

Our kids love the swimming pool with spa and the breakfast are so delicious our kids love pan cakes and fruits and my wife love the breads. We really enjoyed our 3 days staying and we would love to come on the next school holidays.

Ok for 1 night.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Rooms need refurb, noise coming from vent in room (old wooden luvers sounded like bird or rat?). Air conditioning noisey.

Comfortable bed, nice breakfast.

Good location for pubs/food/attractions.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The room was not up to standards of other Rydges Hotels. Bathroom and rooms dated and had a few stains on the comforter - which we promptly removed. Not sure when the last time the insides of the side tables were cleaned, had a book with dust on it.

Located next to all the main attractions of Townsville, great strip with pubs and restaurants around. The breakfast was excellent, staff friendly at the front desk.

We were suprised that a hotel with the 'Rydges' name was in dire need of a refurbishment.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

The bathrooms were dated, one of our rooms air conditioner didn't work and the restaurant was closed for dinner during December.

The location was convenient, close to restaurants and a walk over the bridge into the main street. The breakfast buffet (included in room price) was delicious and had lots of variety. The staff were all very friendly.

There wasn’t enough food supplied at breakfast.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

There wasn’t enough food supplied at breakfast. Most dishes were empty and it seemed was hard to keep up with the demand. Maybe there wasn’t enough staff employed at the such busy timeframe. Although, food was beautiful once obtained.

The bathroom was leaking and there was mould in the walls.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The bathroom was leaking and there was mould in the walls. Breakfast there was no salt on the table and the table had not been wiped down. We had to ask for a napkin to wipe the table down.

Always good

no on-site gym

Some features a bit older but great amenities and location is sensational. Don't use minibar much but I love the fact that I am treated like an adult and offered it if I choose.

restful and great for recuperation just what i needed

not long enough

The bed is the best bed i have used whilst travelling, we are clients forever when staying in Townsville . Love it. I am a princess and the pea person and the bed was perfect topped off with wonderfully courteous, helpful and cheerful staff. A rare thing in accom these days

Rude and unhelpful staff.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Arrived after a 12hr drive at 7.30pm. Staff member at front counter was rude and very unhelpful. When asked where parking for guests could be located, I was told there probably wasn’t any, as there was an event at the restaurant next door and they had used all the available parking spaces. When asked where we could safely park our vehicle nearby, was told ‘I don’t know”. I then asked whether there was parking underground and whether our 4wd would clear the height limit if we went looking for parking - was told “I don’t know”. After driving 12hrs, we just wanted to park and get dinner. Finally found a park and rushed to room so we could order dinner ASAP because room service finished at 8.30. Room service people were just as rude and made it feel like we were being an extreme inconvenience. Also, when we booked the room we put in 3 people and it came up with best pricing for 2 adults and 1 child using existing bedding. There was only 1 bed so our daughter had to sleep on the floor!!! Booked for 3 people but there were only 2 towels. Very disappointed.

Not much

the staff were nice
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Bathroom really need a re-furb paint patches falling off wall. 4 people registered in the room res but only towelling & amenities for 2 -general hallway needed a good vaccum & repaint where hsk trolleys bash the walls

the staff were nice

Loved it!
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Underground car park was a little eerie/- bit scary if ur a young woman or with children at night. Perhaps a security guard for safety.

Bed comfort was amazing! Breakfast was lovely too!

Did NOT enjoy it at all!!
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Cleanliness was BAD!!! a piece of plastic was behind chair when I moved in... No spare toilet paper(had to ring the hotel 3 times at 4am to get toilet paper)...same hair in hallway there ALL week!!

Bed was comfy...had to move rooms on the first night as aircon settings could not be changed(too cold)...could not change setting in second room(too HOT again)..windows can't be open! Breakfast was not very good...not many choices...