Reviews of Sir Stamford Circular Quay 5 stars

93 Macquarie Street, Sydney CBD, 2000 Sydney, Australia

#11 of 316 hotels in Sydney

9.7

• Reviewed: 18 October 2018

Perfect location in the heart of Sydney, stylish „royal“ interieor.
    • Superior King Room

Opera House and ferries 5 min on foot. Very easy to reach with public transportation (T8) if you are coming from the airport. Very nice stylish interieur, spacious room. Very polite and gracious staff. Highly recommended!

• Reviewed: 18 October 2018

Stay here if you like old world charm. Would definitely stay here again.

There was no tv guide and the remote didn't work well. Some of the wallpaper was peeling at the seams, a minor detail in a period hotel such as this.

Loved the beautiful period charm of this hotel and received a warm welcome when we arrived (good old fashioned service). The location was perfect, an easy walk to Circular Quay, the Rocks and the city. We had amazing views of the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House from our room. The hotel was very quiet & the bed was comfortable. Loved the marble bathroom. One of the best hotel stays I've had, highly recomended!

lovely time

because of the shape of the junior suite i found for two people watching TV the loungeroom setting was not that comfortable

love the luxurious large marble bathroom and seperate toilet

• Reviewed: 17 October 2018

A very good location staff are the best

nothing. Close to the quay and everything

The staff were excellent everyone was so nice to us that we would definitely come back to stay. The room was so nice and clean . The view of the botanical gardens was so relaxing as well.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2018

I’m confused about price I paid much more booking direct...
    • Superior King Room

I’m confused about price I paid much more booking direct than online. I booked some friends in that I encouraged to stay using booking.com and it was half the price I paid. I stay at the Stamford regularly and always tell friends how much I love it but that disappointed me

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Overall a very pleasant stay and convenient location to local attractions. Staff very friendly.
    • Superior King Room

Room was noisy at times as right next door to the air conditioning unit. Door rails in the Mini Bar fridge were broken causing items to fall out each time the door was opened - easily fixed though once items were removed. Lighting could have been better in main room - basically just 2 bed lamps and a table lamp.

Room was a good size, bed was comfortable, pre theatre dinner in the Dining Room was very good value.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Great hotel in a great location with helpful and friendly staff
    • Superior King Room

Our food in the bar area took a long time to come

Great sized room. Fantastic location for our show at the opera house. Great ambience withe the fireplace in the guest lounge area

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Good value clean but the location is very hard to beat

Restaurant menu needs improvement. That said it has no view so I suppose most guest go out to any of the many nearby with great views

Good breakfast and great central location

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

Enjoyable and comfortable.
    • Superior Twin Room

Velvet parking. Was expensive and doesn't work well. Nowhere to stop the car comfortably when we arrived, and a long wait for the when we left.

Location, decor, comfortable beds and large bedrooms and bathroom.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

Great location if you want to be near circular quay and the...
    • Superior King Room

King bed, was actually twin beds pushed together which I don’t like as much.

Great location if you want to be near circular quay and the opera house.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

Beautifully presented room with a view towards the Botanical...
    • Superior King Room

Terrible pillows, 4 x flat pillows making for a bad night’s sleep. Loud vibration sound of the lift cables continually going up & down day & night, very loud in the room we were in.

Beautifully presented room with a view towards the Botanical Gardens. Easy secure parking. Staff were excellent. Fantastic location within easy walking distance to the Opera House, Botanical Gardens, The Rocks, the Quay, anywhere in the city.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

Very relaxing and comfortable

All was good

Every staff member we dealt with - from reception to concierge, cleaners and waiters - was friendly and helpful. We liked the heated outdoor pool - warm enough to swim in even though the weather wasn't great. Excellent location, close to public transport both road and water-based. This is a hotel with lots of character and the views over the park are lovely. The rooms was quiet and the bed comfortable.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Nice but not spectacular

The hotel had a dated feel; the decor was going for old English, but didn't quite work and so looked dated and tired instead. Our attempts to borrow an iPhone charger were rebuffed, and we were told we would have to leave the phone with reception to charge. Finally the walls were quite thin; we were easily able to overhear our neighbor

The place was nice enough. Nothing stood out in particular. The staff were generally friendly.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

Superb old world property, beautifully maintained with...

The shower was a little underwhelming and hard to stand under (offset shower head), but adequate for showering and in keeping with the decor

Superb old world property, beautifully maintained with exceptional staff and amenities

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

Lovely hotel and probably the best place to stay in Sydney. Perfect.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Nothing, everything was perfect for us.

The location was perfect for us. A 2 minute walk to the harbour. It was the ideal place to base ourselves for our time in Sydney. Close to the train station too which made it easy get to and from the airport. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Would highly recommend the Sir Stamford as the best place to stay if you are visiting Sydney.

Fantastic.
    • Superior Twin Room

Parts of the hotel are quite dated and would benefit from a facelift. But still great overall.

Affordable hot breakfast and great choices. Amazing location. Loved the lobby and open fire place!

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

Fantastic location within walking distance of Cafes, train station, ferry. Opera house and more.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

We found no problems with our stay.

Very comfortable bed, lovely and clean . The room was large with plenty of room to move. Dining room served beautiful food and drinks. The valet parking was great. Didn't have to use your Car as everything is within walking distance.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

The concierge, David Reynolds, was so friendly and helpful.

The concierge, David Reynolds, was so friendly and helpful. Willing to do anything. The waitresses were very attentive in the dining room and the front of house staff were extremely helpful when my husband was taken ill and needed a doctor. Their concern for his welfare was much appreciated. Location was brilliant! Catching the train from the airport was also very convenient and easy. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Superior King Room

The rooms are not well constructed to block out sound. I could hear people walking and bathing from the floor above me, and every time the next room guest goes in and out of the room, it is very audible which disturbed my rest. It doesn't help that I am a light sleeper. Doesn't provide bedside master light control. Bottled water provided are not replenished on a daily basis. The dirty towel which I placed in the bath tube was found on the toilet floor after house keeping. The checkout time is at 11 am instead of 12 pm. I couldn't even extend it till 12.30 pm. For AUD340 per night for the lowest category room which doesn't include breakfast, I would have expected more.

Location. Although you need to walk up a slight slope to reach the hotel.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

Very happy.
    • Superior King Room

Our room was quite noisy.

The staff were very welcoming The room was much larger than most we have had before in Sydney. We liked the old world decor.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Generally the junior unit was pleasant with enough space for...
    • Junior Suite with Harbour View

Disappointment with the complete lack of any kitchen space in a unit of that size , There was some confusion on how they required us to pay and it required a photo of our passport even after checking my account,before they appeared to be satisfied that we was able to pay on leaving .

Generally the junior unit was pleasant with enough space for the three night's stay we had in Sydney and it made a pleasant returning to base spot after a show or a full day tripping about generally of a good standard if a little aged .

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Old World Charm and Comfort with Modern Facilities and Friendly Staff.
    • Superior King Room

I put the green card on the bed because I thought it meant they didn’t need to change the sheets, however I didn’t read the small print as it also meant the room wasn’t serviced at all. I was told when I checked out that you can call reception to arrange a service.

The hotel is lovely. It has old world charm and comfort with modern facilities. The rooms are very comfortable with super comfy beds and modern, clean and spacious bathrooms. We even had a swim in the pool while we were there. The breakfast had everything you needed to start your day and the staff were very attentive. The concierge and reception staff are very friendly and helpful and there is free wifi, which I think should be standard in every hotel. I won’t book a hotel without free wifi.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

the stay is good, but there are some mistakes for the fee payment.

the hotel got more money from my credit card. after my communication with booking, the hotel admits that they made a mistake. It took a long time to repay my money.

the breakfast is excellent. and the living facilities are the best. It is very close to the Sydney Opera House ,and you can walk only five minutes to visit.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

AM ALREADY PLANNING A NEXT VISIT.

Don't have any complaints

The hotel was very central to Opera House and Rocks area. Staff were very helpful. Room and bathroom were large, very clean and comfortable. My room was located near elevator but amazingly quiet. It was great not to hear loud banging doors as have been my experience in many 5 star hotels. I very much look forward to my next visit.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Amazing hotel, great location, great food & service
    • Superior King Room

The only phrase we were give to the students executive suite was amazing. The view was lovely. Staff went above and beyond. Very posh. I will have special memories of my stay. Will come again in the future.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Very good except for the bed issue.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

I booked a room with two beds. The king bed was unsuitable as we were not partners. I reminded them of this at check in and the porter also rang back down to reception. A rollaway bed for a middle age woman was unsuitable.

We were upgraded to a suite which was just lovely.

Enjoyable and relaxing.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

I loved the old school charm and the friendliness of the staff. The rooms were clean, warm and comfortable and I felt settled. The location is very conveniently located, especially to Circular Key Train Station. I would certainly come and stay again.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Having stayed at the Sir Stamford I wouldn’t stay anywhere else in Sydney. It’s just perfect.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

There was nothing we didn’t like.

Excellent location; superbly comfy beds, helpful and friendly staff, tea/coffee in room, amazing bathroom with robes and slippers.

Pamper yourself at the Sir Stamford.

nothing - all great.

Fabulous location, helpful staff, wonderful breakfast - one of the few places with a juicer for breakfast. The room has everything you need, tea and coffee, ironing board, slippers etc. The offer of a water while we went through check in was also appreciated on a day that reached over 30 degrees.

Just a wonderful place to stay when you are in Sydney.
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Could not say a bad thing about this hotel.

This is one of the most beautiful places I have stayed at. The Staff are so lovely and very attentive to all details. The food just fabulous. Our room was gorgeous. Thankyou for a wonderful stay.

The staff were wonderful.

Not a single thing

The staff were wonderful. Professional, friendly and seemed to really like working there. Nothing was too much trouble and I felt very spoilt by the extra attention. Both the bedroom and bathroom were lovely, generous size in classic style. The $40 parking charge for 24 hrs was great given the location.

We should've stayed longer.!

Service was exceptional from the minute we walked through the door. Staff are so polite friendly and helpful always smiling. The hotel is magnificent old world era, the rooms are so clean with those little extras, robes and slippers..room service was delicious. Could not fault anything at all. Parking was extremely reasonable. We had a wonderful stay and will definately be back.. Thank you especially Nicholas on reception and David at concierge..😉

In my booking notes I mentioned the occasion was for a...
    • Deluxe Twin Room

In my booking notes I mentioned the occasion was for a birthday. On arrival we noticed our room had a water view and complimentary bubbly and choc dipped strawberries! Lovely thoughtful touches.

Good, comfortable hotel.

A coffee machine in the room would have been useful.

Stayed for two weeks, the larger room made the longer stay more comfortable. Comfortable room, good natural light, great staff, great location.

Very good.
    • Superior King Room

I really liked everything this visit, except on my booking it said $60.00 for valet parking and I was charged $69.00, I did question this and she insisted $69.00. I will scan the booking today and call reception as I would like a refund for the $9.00. I can not send clients to your hotel if you advise one thing and charge another, so we need to sort this cost out.

I have been to your hotel many many times the visit before this one was not good, and had to give a bad review. For years no one came out front for luggage, staff could not understand room service orders, breakfast was way below the cost charged. But This time was amazing, we noticed all the standards have lifted, the staff were very good. It was like when we first started coming to your hotel, I am from the The Smart Traveller and I am in a lot of hotels and your hotel has made some great staff changes. I did not try the breakfast this time.

Historic and full of charm, spacious rooms and great...
    • Superior King Room

No faults with our stay.

Historic and full of charm, spacious rooms and great bathroom. Much better than large hotels. Hard to beat location and service. thanks again.

Dirty room, poor room service and cleaners woke us up to...
    • Superior King Room

Dirty room, poor room service and cleaners woke us up to clean our room before our check out time. Room was large and location was great, maybe not the best for a romantic weekend but convenient for a quick stay over.

I booked 2 x suites (one for us and one for her Godparents)...

The weather - it was windy and cold! I would not change a thing about the hotel itself!

I booked 2 x suites (one for us and one for her Godparents) for my daughter's 18th birthday - it was the best birthday experience she has had!!! I love the old-world feel and the friendliness of the staff - nothing was a bother to them. We are looking forward to staying here again and would recommend this location to anyone who loves elegance, value for money and a wonderful weekend away!

An excellent hotel- quiet, well located, great staff and satisfactory breakfast.
    • Superior King Room

Small problems with the open fire- tended to get a bit smokey in the lobby. However it was a delight to see a warm, natural open fire place. Breakfast selection was very comprehensive but could have been a little more adventurous.

The property is well located for the Opera and Circular Quay and very quiet. The facilities are excellent but getting a bit old. However, if the furnishings are replaced they should be replaced by those of a similar standard and quality- often in Sydney hotels they are replaced by cheaper minimalist furniture. Staff are excellent, helpful and very friendly. I will recommend the Stamford to my family and friends and will definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

A fabulous relaxing, reviving stay.
    • Superior King Room

I love the old world charm of this hotel, with modern efficient staff. The decor and ambience is wonderful and one always feels to relaxed in this environment. With a five minute stroll to the Quay, who could ask for more?

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Variable, great location but bar staff need more training in customer service

Had booked dinner at hotel restaurant, mistakenly went to the bar/ restaurant, said we had a booking The girl looked vague, never said there was another restaurant so we had an awful meal in the bar/ restaurant It was a very disappointing wedding anniversary dinner

Friendly service, Harbour views

Excellent location and atmosphere with service you dont find much anymore. We will be back.
    • Superior Twin Room

Atmosphere was excellent, extremely helpful and polite concierge (Oliver) and bar staff (Cameron), comfortable bed, lovely bathroom, cruelty free bath products and the best hollandaise sauce with breakfast.

Beautiful hotel, will stay there again
    • Superior King Room

Asked for a early check in, when we got there room wasn't ready (and friends who came with who didn't ask for early check in room was ready for them) and when check in staff called housekeeping on two way radio to ask if they can get our room ready the housekeeping person made a remark that we could all hear about people always having to hurry hurry hurry, which I think was in bad taste.

Very nice hotel, rooms were excellent

The Junior Suite had a lot of space including separate...

Door to the balcony didn't close properly so some road noise. High pitched buzzing in the bathroom but partner (male) couldn't hear it. Air conditioning was a bit fickle.

The Junior Suite had a lot of space including separate bathroom vanities. Very comfortable. Good views. Excellent location for the ferries and the train, quick to the airport. Secret deal made it great value.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Superb location and outstanding customer service

Like stepping back in time, the rooms are huge and the lobby (which could pass for a set in Downton Abbey) has a functioning fireplace with comfortable couches. Location is excellent with the Quay, botantic gardens and CBD all very close. The real standout, however, was the seamlessly superb culture of customer service - attentive, efficient and friendly from the moment of arrival til the moment of departure.

Would have been good if the room had had sufficient beds for the number of people I booked for.
    • Superior King Room

I booked a room for one adult and 2 children over age 10. I selected a room on booking.com that stated it had beds for this. However, when I got there, the room had two beds only and I was told that provision of an extra bed would cost a substantial amount extra per day. I was very upset about this, and eventually they agreed to provide the extra bed for one night's charge rather than three. According to the manager, the booking.com site had caveats explaining in the fine print that there would be this extra charge. I read the text with them, and the words did not mean that to me, though they interpreted them that way. They and Booking.com should provide clearer text and information, to make it clear that the charge will be higher. I was shown a lower charge than I ended up paying, even though I believed I was booking a room for the number of people I specified.

Nice atmosphere, bar was excellent with piano player/singer. Good location for cental Sydney

Loved everything about our stay

All perfect

The Staff, facilities, location & rooms were excellent, I will be recommending Sir Stamford to all my friends and family Thank you to all Sir Stamford staff

Quiet and peaceful.

Shower pressure could be improved. I was promised a text message after trying to check in early. Was also promised that we would find our bags in the room. Neither happened

Quiet and peaceful. Spacious room

Good location close to the Quay and restaurants etc.

Food was very expensive and very average. Rooms were very dated and smelt musty. Had a beautiful room initially and the people next door decided to have their music blaring. Rather than address it with them we were moved to a smaller, not very nice room on another floor. Not child friendly And the breakfast was ridiculously expensive and not nice

Good location close to the Quay and restaurants etc. lobby and bar was nice

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Great Location!
    • Superior King Room

Some of the furnishings are looking a little worn, but it almost adds to the charm! 😄

Extra large rooms, great size bathrooms and very comfortable beds. A great sized room if you're staying in Sydney for a few days!

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Central location and a great stay
    • Superior King Room

Had a fantastic 2 day break here - the location cannot be bettered the service was top notch and very friendly and helpful - would certainly recommend and will use again

Elegant, Caring and Comfotable

In bathroom an extra or extension mirror would be helpful.

Loved the old world feel, roaring fireplace, classical music in background, Wombats to greet us in lounge, historical bar with great Singaporean food selection.

Charming weekend stay
    • Superior King Room

Check in and out, a little long

The ambience and location. The staff were great. The rooms spacious and bed comfortable. The hotel had a lovely fragrance. The charm of the hotel. Very nice.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Fantastic service and stay
    • Superior King Room

We were going to a show at The Opera House midweek and decided to treat ourselves to a night at your hotel. Because there was night roadwork outside our original king delux room we requested to change rooms to a quieter spot. Within minutes new keys were delivered and we were whisked away to a gorgeous suite. What a lovely thing to do for us. We had a fantastic stay. Thank you!

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Huge comfortable rooms in a prime location near Circular Quay.

There was a smoky smell in reception, I think due to the fire. But everything else was great.

The room was absolutely huge! And staff were very friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay here again.

Enjoyed the experience and I would recommend it to anyone
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Nothing about this elegant hotel you would dislike, clean & quiet right next to the expressway.

The overall size of the room, it's comfortable, cosy & the comfortable bed, the food was good but average at the price.

Enjoyed it very much

The Christmas in July meal could have been more traditional

Suite extremely comfortable and generous size. Position excellent with great views of Circular Quay.

Old Sydney charm in very convenient location

Very little

The room was very quite, no noise from other rooms noted,all facilities were in good condition, room service excellent. Bed very comfortable.

Close to perfection
    • Superior King Room

Although tea was provided there was no coffee provided.

Location was great. The room was huge and comfortable. The concierge service was very friendly and helpful. Overall service was excellent.

Very happy
    • Superior King Room

Lack of choice for breakfast. Your parking cost incorrect on site. Hotel honoured your price because I had copy of site info

Location location location

Absolutely perfect location!

The air conditioning wasn't working so it was very hot in the room unfortunately they had a system issue that night, the bed wasn't very comfortable

The view and location were absolutely perfect, the bathroom was clean and comfortable to use. There was a comfortable arm chair to sit in and relax looking out over the harbor. The staff were absolutley lovely, even though there were a couple of little things that weren't quite right it was still a fantastic stay. I was able to park easily, check in early and received a text when my room was ready two hours early! The lovely lady at the front desk also helped me out so easily with a request for a later check out time, the extra hour was just what I needed. It was great to walk in and have friendly faces smiling every time you walk through the lobby. The little touches were great aswell, cold iced water in the lobby, fruit bowls on every floor.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

A special place for a special occasion!
    • Superior King Room

The kids were eager to try out the heated pool! As it was winter and a really miserable weekend they were a little disheartened it was not hotter, but they got over it!

The service was fabulous, we celebrated my sons 18th with a night in the city with just our family. The staff sent up a complimentary bottle of wine to his room. He was delighted with that gesture of kindness and felt so grown up!

Enjoyed the experience
    • Superior Twin Room

In our experience of just staying overnight and not using the restaurant nothing of note to dislike.

Attractive property, good size rooms, staff pleasant and helpful. Happy to stay there again.

Perfect location

Friendly and very helpful staff, and a large room with a little view of the Opera House from the balcony. The location was perfect with Circular Quay and trains only a few minutes walk. Would definitely stay again.

Full of Charm and Staff warm and freindly
    • Superior King Room

Arrival at the hotel on a cold winter day, was greeted with a smile, helpful service and an amazing open wood fire. Check-in was quick and easy, hotel lobby lounge was charming, lifts small but ok and room looked out towards the water and Sydney harbor bridge. My family and I enjoyed all aspects of the hotel, the bar, restaurant and the easy going staff.

A little disappointing

The suite was dark and under furnished. It had lots of room with nothing in it. One remote for two TV’s. No offer of a newspaper, two bottles of water on check-in but none on second day. Breakfast was excellent and staff were helpful. Been wanting to stay for a while but no hurry to return.

Our second visit to this beautiful Hotel and we will be back.
    • Superior King Room

Menu could use an update and room service food was terrible.

Old world English charm, relaxing and calm environment in an unbelievably fantastic location.

Absolutely amazing!
    • Superior King Room

The lobby is exquisite and the staff were so helpful and friendly. Comfiest bed. Breakfast was the best I’ve ever had in a formal dining room. In love with this hotel.

Quality, old world charm in a fabulous location.
    • Superior King Room

Sir Stamford's old world charm makes this hotel something special. Unbeatable location. Staff are exceptionally helpful. Rooms are well spacious and the marble bathroom is a highlight.

Excellent all round!

Nothing! This has to be one of the loveliest hotels we have stayed in.

Loved the decor and furnishings of the public aeas and the room was spacious, comfortable and well thought out. Great size bath too! We will definitely be staying here next time we have a night out in the city!

Exceeded our expectations. Sir Stamford oozes ambience
    • Superior King Room

Having to leave at the end of our holiday.

Exceeded our expectations on every level. We chose the Sir Stamford for its ambience and its location. All the staff were welcoming and professional. We had breakfast in the dining room each morning enjoying menu based hot choices and buffet style continental fruit, cereal and fresh squeezed juices.

Reliable hotel, but please, more bed cover in winter!

I was cold in bed at night! Very cold winter nights in Sydney winter. There were only 2 blankets available in the room. I woke at 3 am feeling cold. I couldn’t adjust the aircon upwards. I would have appreciated a Donna in winter.

The position of the hotel.

Excellent location staff were helpful, furnishings need an update
    • Superior Twin Room

The room was quite dark furnishings, lighting, carpet which was quite tired. The chairs in the dining room - the fabric was quite worn

Location and marble bathroom! Plus double beds!

Fabulous hotel in an excellent location and great value.
    • Superior King Room

Nothing at all to dislike

Location is fantastic. Staff are the friendliest. Access and handiness to public transport couldn't be better. Just an overall great hotel!

Nice stay, but for the money I expected the minor details to be better.
    • Junior Suite with Harbour View

Service was lacking, bar staff ignored us for a pre dinner drink to the point where we left and went elsewhere. Room servicing was lazy, toilet brush left on the carpet, mini bar not restocked.

Fantastic location, beautiful old building, and very comfy rooms.

Browse Sir Stamford Circular Quay traveller photo gallery