Reviews of Stamford Plaza Brisbane 5 stars

Corner of Edward Street & Margaret Street, Brisbane CBD, 4000 Brisbane, Australia

#24 of 148 hotels in Brisbane

Based on 1941 hotel reviews

5.6

• Deluxe Room with River View

Quite dated bedrooms and decor. Stuffy/strange smell in the hallway and room. Strange callback system to order room service took longer than what I would expect.

Concierge were great, prompt and welcoming. View was fabulous from my room. Comfortable bed.

• Superior Room with River view

My wife had the high tea with her friends on Saturday afternoon and was disappointed with the quality of the service and of the food.

The room was nice and comfortable. The size and quality of the bathroom and bathtub were outstanding. The customer service was friendly, efficient and personal. The location was convenient. The view was great and the hotel has a sense of quality about it. Great value.

• Superior Room with River view

For a hotel that charges premium rates for their rooms I thought they could have made parking more reasonable. $57 for less than 18 hours for in house guest is a bit offensive.

Great location , very friendly staff, awesome views from room

• Deluxe Room with River View

Our stay was great but we had to pay extra for internet ($14,95) and parking ($45). Self parking option was a bit cheaper than the valet parking option.

Really loved our stay at Stamford Plaza Brisbane. The buffet breakfast (which we bought in the morning $25 per head) was the best buffet breakfast at a hotel we've ever had! Lots of options were halal, which some travellers might appreciate. The bed was comfortable and there was also a pillow menu. Gym was also very well equipped. Location is also convenient and you can walk to Queen St. Mall and other shopping in no time.

• Deluxe Room with River View

Wi fi inconsistent No newspapers Room rates changed up every night a lot and not quoted like that Cost $80 dollars more tan quoted

Bed good View good Quiet

• Superior Room with River view

Absolutely delightful.TV in the bathroom😁so quiet&the beautiful brisbane river & park views.The wlaks to nearby restaurants,the pier & the city bars.

• Superior Room with River view

Bed was uncomfortable shower vents were dusty and the pictures frames dusty. Water marks on shower walls and shower head. Robes were very rough and was given one with a hole on the sleeve. Pillow case had stain on it.

The location and the staff at the breakfast everyone was friendly. Big room with heaps of space, big bathroom but housekeeping need to pay attention to cleanliness of the room.

• Deluxe Room with River View

Movies sound didn't match the picture (there was a delay) with both purchase movies we attempted to view. They did not charge us.

The exceptional service from the staff.

• Superior Room with River view

Arrival experience wasn't all that great. My expectations for the property were *5 Star* and looking back, I can't quite say it's 5 star. We had to ask for help with luggage etc and one of the team members told my partner to put the bags on the trolley from the car himself and didn't ask for a name or anything.. just tiny details that don't matter but differentiate between 5 star and 4 star or lower. We had to call 3 times for fresh milk. Looking at the photos before the stay I thought we were staying in one of the rooms in the photos but rather we were just in a smaller simpler room. The rooms have character which I love but they are a little outdated (tech and facilities). The concierge team member told us you're much better off booking directly through the property as you can get free parking (which is very expensive!) and free breakfast and a better rate too.

The building is beautiful, very stunning architecture. We went for my partners birthday and the lovely man Yang in reception gave us a free upgrade and when we got to the room, a gentleman from in-room dining kindly delivered a tray of macaroons and pastries with a happy birthday message. The bed was very comfortable. We got the pool/spa to ourselves too. The view from the room is great (when you're on the right side of the building). We changed rooms to a room with a view of story bridge which is stunning at night. Location is excellent. Very clean.

Please see above

Rooms look a little tired and had to get maintenance to re set the TV twice during the evening due to it “Freezing”up . breakfast area was over crowded and didn’t feel like a luxury hotel.Although the food was quite good.

• Junior King Suite

Onsite bar ‘Pav’ was very shoddy and badly run. Almost as though it wasn’t part of the hotel. We tried to have dinner in the restaurant and it was closed. We tried to have the advertised high tea but it was only in the mornings, very strange. Whole place was understaffed. Needs new management in my view.

Nice room, bed was comfortable, views great, buffet breakfast was perfect, housekeeping staff very good and room very clean. Concierge and reception were both good.

• Superior Room with River view

Shared twin room with my sister. Shower had not been cleaned for some time and waited until we arrived home to shower so we didn't have to use it. Single beds seemed so narrow. Was afraid to turn over in case I fell out of bed.Furniture in the room was tired.

Breakfast and breakfast staff were good. The river view was exceptional.

• Deluxe Room with River View

Location. Perfect. Quieter end of town. Excellent access to the Botanical Gardens, Eagle street pier and river walk. Great coffee by Clebersons in the cart outside. Pav bar is quiet but a nice place to chill on your way up to your room after a night out. Staff. Professional. Room. Large. Comfortable. On this occasion the room view did not match what was on booking.com (booking.com shows views of the storey bridge we got a view of the river and the rooms on the "L" bend.). It did not interfere with the great weekend we had staying here as our base. Hotel in general. We stayed 4 weeks ago for our wedding week. And so it holds a reminisce memory ( despite that review). It has a lovely ambience. The foyer is amazing. Staff are friendly. Room is comfortable and large. We decided this is our hotel of choice each time we visit ( and we visit frequently).

• Deluxe Room with River View

I didn't like the fact that I was offered valet parking but was not told it was going to be $57!! If we were told that when they offered, we would have parked our own car! The cost came at the end when it was time to check out...big surprise and disappointment. They also take money out of your account to pay for the room when you check in, then charge you again the next morning. Inconvenient as we can't touch the money they processed when checking in.

The hotel itself was beautiful with great views. The room was very cozy and the location was perfect. It is near restaurants and shopping so everything is convenient.

• Superior Room with River view

The room was very dusty, bathroom was filthy, furniture old and run down. Meals were disappointing and it’s best to find local restaurants to eat at rather than the meals at the hotel. Fairly certain my vegetarian lasagna was from a frozen microwave packet. It was disgusting.

• Superior Room with River view

They charge $20 something for WiFi connection which is wired nowadays...

Location perfect by the river and the room is beautiful with antique furniture.

• Deluxe Room with River View

We left at 11.30am to visit friends and returned with them at 11pm for a quick drink in our room (they're parents are visiting Brisbane soon and are interested in properties near the city). My partner and I were horrified to find our room had not been made up, even though "Please make up our room sign" was clearly visible on door. Totally ruined our last night in Australia, which should have been great memories sharing wine with our friends.

Bed and view to Brisbane River/Storey Bridge were great.

• Superior Room with River view

I booked this hotel because it was one of the few I could find that offered a twin room with such a good location. When I called to confirm my booking I found that they had put me in a king room so I asked to be moved. When checking in I was put into a 'twin' room which had two single beds but they were pushed together. I called the front desk to request them to come up and re-make the bed as two singles and it took over 3 hours for them to come up and re-configure the room. I also ordered room service at 11pm and became concerned after an hour of waiting that nothing had arrived. After calling the lobby to inquire about what was taking too long I became aware that the order was never placed and had to wait another half an hour for my food to arrive meaning I didn't eat until 12:30. I was not impressed

The hotel was beautiful with a huge bathroom and the location was incredibly convenient.

• Superior Room with River view

It was freezing. Going to breakfast was an uncomfortable experience with a cold draft from the over active aircon.

Bed was comfy, river view lovely, location next to the gardens was excellent. Staff very helpful.

• Superior Room with River view

My room was not ready for my 11am arrival from the airport. That's ok but I needed to shower and get to a function by 12. The shower facilities near the gym are extremely tired and way too hot given there is a sauna within. Makes blow drying hair and putting on makeup not a pleasant experience. There's no room in this bathroom also to place an opened suitcase. My room however later that night was lovely with a great view of the river.

• Superior Room with River view

The bath would only do super hot water for some reason. And I had to unplug the bathroom TV for a usable power plug because the one in the bathroom didn't work.

Beautiful room, comfy bed, and a stunning view

• Superior Room with River view

Upgrade of room (advised by the staff that it would only cost $30 per day for two days), early check-in and late check-out get charged additional $420 :(

Beautiful river view, comfortable bed and nice breakfast buffet.

• Deluxe Room with River View

I think I had in my head the Stamford hype of the old days, being 5 stars, so it didn’t quite live up to the hype. The room decor is quite dated, there was no quilt cover on the bed (just between sheets) and we were starving after getting married and there was a pretty limited room service menu. Just was expecting a lot more for the name of it. I think if you’re looking for modern wow stay elsewhere, if you want more traditional hotel with an amazing view here would be fine.

Amazing view out on the river and staff were very friendly. Great having 24/hour reception and they surprised us with a bottle of bubbles and late check out since it was our wedding night. A lovely touch.

• Deluxe Room with River View

It was a bit old. The handle above the bath was rusted and coming off. I was scared I was going to pull it out.

The location was excellent. The size of the room and bathroom was good.

• Superior Room with River view

Everything about the hotel is great. However every time we spoke with staff on the phone they were not very pleasant to deal with.

Super comfy bed and beautiful view.

• Superior Room with River view

The air-conditioning was noisy which impacted on good sleep. That guests would have to pay for wi-fi and parking which both were not cheap.

The tv in the bathroom. The view from the room. The food options available.

• Superior Room with River view

Small feedback. If a couple are known to be checking in for their wedding, the least you can do is make sure their room is cleaned on the day of the wedding. We got in after a big day to find the room unattended. We were too high on love to care though the attention to detail or lack of did surprise us.

Location. Grandness preserved. Pav bar good sense of humour. Clebersons coffee just outside. Best coffee in Brisbane of the few we tried.

• Superior Room with River view

The room got very stuffy due to not having opening windows. We were on a non smoking floor but fresh air is always good. Air conditioning was not very cold although it was not a warm night.

Realled enjoyed the pool and spa. Bed was super comfy and big. Beautiful furnishings throughout hotel. View was pretty

Can find any

The nice and comfortable room and the close proximity to tourists attractions like botanical gardens, Eagle Street pier, Queen Street Mall. And also the room with nice river view.

• Superior Room with River view

Bar staff were poorly trained and reception staff didn't seem to like their jobs. The hotel is beautiful to look at but there is a lack of warmth and it is not welcoming.

• Superior Room with River view

Hidden charges $57 parking is an outrage and abusive Credit charge surcharge is unheard of worldwide. Disgusting and unwarranted and not used anywhere on earth? Are you meant to settle your hefty hotel bill with CASH? Appalling

Location Room size

• Superior Room with River view

Their function room was next to our room and there was a wedding going on. We couldn't use our terrace as there where tons of people out there. Very noicy and kept going quite late. When they have a function such as a wedding they should put wedding guests in these rooms and not regular guests. The hotel didn't compt us either.. Just a a simple we are sorry but I didn't think that was enough as part of our relaxing weekend was destroyed!

Location, breakfast, room, pool

• Deluxe Room with River View

The room was average for what we paid per night. They need larger twin beds. We were given two single beds. Too small to get comfortable. The room was old and tired. It’s not 5 star anymore. Maybe there are better refurbished rooms but we didn’t get one ☹️

• Superior Room with River view

A few minor gripes. Single beds were small. A few cleaning errors. Only one clean towell replaced instead of two. We had to ring for room to be serviced at 2pm then it was done immediately. We ordered two drinks at happy hour and when charged were told only “house” wine qualified for happy hour. That was never advertised or mentioned. We planned to spend our last night in the hotel restaurant but found it closed on the Wednesday evening.

The location was perfect. Close to riverside cafes and restaurants. Walking distance to South bank through the Botanical Gardens and over the Good Will pedestrian bridge.The view from our room was amazing. Bathroom very spacious. Everything was very clean.

• Deluxe Room with River View

Room service food options. Tv didn’t work in the bathroom and the bath took 30 minutes to fill because the water pressure was way too low.

Great bed, great view and friendly staff

• Deluxe Room with River View

Starting to look a little tired. In need of some refurbishment in some areas

Close proximity to Eagle Street Pier and short walking distance toQueen St Mall

• Superior Room with River view

Unclean bathtub. AV issues with TV not working. Small issues that will easily be rectified, and aside from these - would be a great place to stay.

Spectacular views, comfortable bed and good size room.

• Junior King Suite

Could not find the thermostat easily. Had trouble with the lights; could not find a master switch. The sweaty looking chef on the egg station did not look presentable and also seemed not to enjoy or care for his role in the customers experience. Also I am sure one of the breakfast elements gave my food poisoning. Also we had a late check out (1200h) approved but twice the cleaning staff came and troubled us while we were getting ready to leave (we left the room at 1230h)

. Room service, concierge & reception staff were awesome.

• Superior Room with River view

Breakfast service apathetic at best. Decor in rooms underwhelming and in need of an update. No offer to take luggage to room after valet parking. Just not really the 5* polish you’d expect.

Cooked breakfast delivered to room was pretty reasonable.

• Superior Room with River view

I thought it would be nicer inside, the walls where dirty looks like they could have done with fresh paint wall paper to be honest it just looked warn

The view was lovely and location

• Superior Room with River view

I didn't like being told that i have to purchase food within an hour of ordering drinks when we were staying in the hotel.

I really like that every room can see the river. Love all the timber in the bedroom.

• Deluxe Room with River View

The bathroom had an old fashioned, tiny shower. Don’t need to pay $57 to have my car parked.

The hotel was in a great location & we easily explored the city, Southbank & the Botanical Gardens. Our view from the 19th floor was excellent. The bed was very comfortable. The deal included breakfast which was very good. The staff were very attentive & helpful.

• Superior Room with River view

The Pav bar food and mixed drinks weren't good. But if you had something on tap then it was fine. They charged surcharges all weekend rather than just the Friday (Easter).

The pool, comfy room and closeness to cafes etc.

• Superior Room with River view

Not all rooms have free WiFi and there is also an extra charge for good coffee during breakfast An hotel of high standards to ask for auch surcharges? The coffee served in breakfast is not impressive. The hotel shows some signs of aging. The concierge could be a bit more knowledgeable about site seeing and restaurant options.

The location in CBD is excellent. The view to the river from our room. The hotel ambience. The personnel was friendly and helpful. The receptionist was exceptional. The underground parking. The outdoor area during breakfast. The Moo Moo restaurant was very good. The ..lifts! Very fast.

Can't think of anything!

Large bedroom room with amazing view over the river & 2 comfy chairs to enjoy the view. 2nd TV in bathroom was great. Plenty of lifts & never had to wait for one during our stay.

• Superior Room with River view

Hotels own restaurant and room service quite pricey

Big windows overlooking river, great location to all riverside restaurants and comfy bed and that chocolate brownie 👌🏽

• Superior Room with River view

Only that you couldn’t get a cocktail by the pool.

Hotel is quiet, relaxing, really helpful, friendly staff, lovely rooms & we were offered an upgrade as soon as we arrived (for $30 extra per night). We accepted.

• Superior Room with River view

I didn’t like the man meeting us offering to park our car then being charged $57 parking fee. If this was disclosed at the time I would have parked my own car.

Didn’t use any restaurants so not applicable

• Superior Room with River view

A few of the power points in the room seemed to be out of order. But that is the only fault.

Beautiful surroundings professional staff and an oh so comfy bed. Highly recommend the Stamford

• Superior Room with River view

Mould in the shower, very out dated furnishings, phone next to the loo?? But the worst thing was having to put the room key into a slot to get power to work and in the middle of the night, couldnt find the power switch to turn the bathroom light on. Can't believe this is rated 5 stars !! Wont stay here again

Location was great and view was lovely. Easy parking

• Superior Room with River view

It was a little bit older and rundown than it looked in the photos. We requested twin rooms but one was unable to be converted to two beds and therefore had to share an extra large bed.

The bed was comfy and the pool was nice. Also enjoyed using the gym.

Na

I love the location of the property also I love them views at My Window I was very very happy with all of the service one of my rooms had a bit of an issue they fixed it straight away

• Superior Room with River view

It was a Monday night and the main restaurant was closed - only one in-house option and it was Japanese and I was looking forward to a good steak!!

Great position - staff were very good - room was very comfortable.

• Deluxe Room with River View

I called the hotel prior to my stay and confirmed my reservation, at the same time I informed the staff I would be driving and would require parking and asked if my rate would remain the same. Upon checkout I was charged an additional significant amount for parking. I was disappointed this was not included in my special rate through booking.com

The bed was comfortable. The room is good for overnight stay. Staff very helpful and pleasant.

• Superior Room with River view

Things we're a little dusty but it's hard to clean everything with people constantly coming and going

The friendly staff and their willingness to help we're a welcome change. We enjoyed the river views and the parks which are only a short walk away, Dinner was also splendid as we were spoiled for choice and we ended it with a great night sleep in a comfortable and quiet room.

• Superior Room with River view

Room was a little tired maybe close to an upgrade but OK.

Great view of Brisbane River Nice big room Great location close to Eagle Street restaurants and the Gardens

• Superior Room with River view

Disappointed that we had to request twice for room to be serviced and then not done properly Wanted to use the sauna, but was locked - enquired about this and staff offered to open - but never happened?

Very friendly staff - very clean and quiet - fantastic location

• Superior Room with River view

It didn't feel like a five star room. I think they must have a lot of B grade rooms available for their cheaper deals. The shower was clean but the grout had been painted and was all peeling away and the door wouldn't stay closed. The robes were tatty as well. I wasn't offered help with my bags which was disappointing. Also our view of the pool and river was nice but for the worn and dirty structure surrounding the pool that needs cleaning/painting.

The bed was huge and comfy. Location was great the staff were all very friendly and Breakfast was amazing.

• Deluxe Room with River View

Bathroom could have been cleaner. Shower had mould, bath had pubic hair in it. 😳 Room didn’t get serviced when we were out and about so had to request it while we were in our room. Room service food is way overpriced as is extras sadly.

Bed was comfy, buffet breakfast was amazing. Opulent decore, great view of the river and story bridge.

• Deluxe Room with River View

The television turned itself off occasionally! The towels were a little thin and scratchy but they were only minor things 😄

Fabulous location, staff were excellent, the room and view were fantastic and the bed was very comfortable.

• Superior Room with River view

Overpriced hotel, bathrooms are pretty old for a hotel like this! The shower was on a height that's not comfortable for any "tall" person.

• Deluxe Room with River View

The rooms were so quiet. The hotel was elegant and timeless. The beds were very comfy. Loved the pillow menu even though we were happy with standard pillows provided. Especially loved the pool!

• Deluxe Room with River View

Air con wasn’t cool enough. The tv in the bathroom couldn’t change channels as it was locked. The cornases on the ceiling were peeling away. The valet parking would be awesome if they got rid of the take away empty coffee cups in the car - that would have been above and beyond!!

Bed was lovely and comfy.

• Superior Room with River view

We requested a cot. Got no reply and had to call them to chase it up. At breakfast a young skinny guy with glasses working there looked messy with his shirt untucked and his belt waaay to big. He was very vocal and when one of the other staff fumbled with a pan and made a bit of noise he had to make a big fuss and yell “wooo”, throw his hands in the air and embarrass the poor staff member. Thought it was really immature. My husband commented on the fact the hotel needs to be repainted. I didn’t notice this but did think the taps in the bathroom could use a freshen up. The steak at the Bar restaurant was just disgusting and we were really disappointed with our meals.

The lobby is beautiful. Staff friendly. So close to the city and a real breeze to get around. Close enough to Central station and to the ferry terminals. Also right next door to the Botanic Gardens which was lovely. Fantastic views of the Story Bridge and the river. Was lovely day and night. Good linen in the rooms.

• Deluxe Room with River View

Only thing I can say was at check out it was weird. They take your room bond and the fee for the stay off your card. Apon check out they use your card again to pay for the accommodation and the money I checked in with was pending money. It was quiet confusing and felt like I was being double charged. Luckily one of the lovely lady spend the time to explain this to me. But it's a odd process

Elegant and stylish. Everyone was friendly and lovely and calm, we could check our bags in with no fuss and walk around the city they even give you a free beverage card apon check in.

• Superior Room with River view

We have pondered long and hard and cannot come up with anything negative

This was one of the best hotels we have stayed in. Everything was of the hifhest qualitu, decor, facililities, staff and location. Our only regret was having to leave.

• Superior Room with River view

Systems were down for check in and check out which was inconvenient but these things do happen

Best buffet breakfast I have had at an Australian hotel including even an omelette bar

• Superior Room with River view

They didn’t leave a fresh roll of toilet paper after cleaning the room but all good

Just love staying there as it’s close to bars and dining and they had computer problems when we were there but all good and we love the joint

• Superior Room with River view

Bathroom, there was a tile ( about 300mm ) width step-over to the Bath/Shower very dangerous or would be difficult to overcome if mobility was an issue

• Superior Room with River view

Although still quite nice, some of the interior is starting to look a little tired. I got my room for half price which was fine but I don't think it would be worth the full price rate if I was to book again.

Friendly staff, great location and easy to get on and off motorway.

• Deluxe Room with River View

Barista made coffee should be definitely included in the price of the breakfast. Scrambled eggs leave something to be desired.

View, service, location, comfort and atmosphere are all excellent.

• Superior Room with River view

WiFi not free charged per day seems very outdated Reception staff not overly friendly or helpful

Location and standard of rooms. Swimming pool also very good

• Superior Room with River view

The cost of the Carpark to expensive should be included in the package with the breakfast and room

Everything especially the tv being in the bathroom great idea.Great location awesome restaurant on site and other within walking distance.Great view of the river and walking trails along the river

• Superior Room with River view

It's very hard to fault except its starting to show her age....that's all, Food outlets are a little pricey ....it's all cosmetic , the only thing was the condition of the Gout in the Shower.....that needs to be addressed ....but that's a cleaning thing and I know staff these days are only given a short time to clean these rooms, all all about money and trying to save.....

Love staying at the Stamford, Have not been there in a while, but it is still one of my favorite places to stay, My only comment would be, it is starting to show her age, but I guess I think that is her beauty.....Beds are one of the best and very comfy . It;s pricey but well worth it....Location is just perfect. Plus there are some amazing food places near by....

• Junior King Suite

the location and proximity all of Brisbane's amenities makes the Stamford a great place to stay. we've always enjoyed the attention to detail and friendliness of staff. We will definitely be staying here again.

Browse Stamford Plaza Brisbane traveller photo gallery