Reviews of Mercure Sydney 4 stars

818-820 George Street, Sydney CBD, 2000 Sydney, Australia

#128 of 306 hotels in Sydney

Nice and firm comfortable bed.

Nice and firm comfortable bed. Clean and comfortable. Highly recommend, especially for airport transfers. Check out Spice alley just down the road. This place is amazing!!

While the decor was not to my liking, the beds were...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (3 Adults)

I didn't like that on booking the total cost of the room was taken before our arrival and that on registration we still had to hand over a credit card as a security deposit.

While the decor was not to my liking, the beds were comfortable and the room a reasonable size given there were two double beds .

Friendly staff and was an enjoyable experience
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

There was nothing I didn't like

Breakfasts were well presented with plenty of variety. Staff were very friendly and helpful.Location was perfect for where we wanted to go and things we wanted to see.

enjoyable
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

prices for the mini bar was a little high

The rooms were clean and very modern the beds were comfortable. The access to the floors, was a little annoying but really if you require security it was perfect. The bathroom was clean and the shower was excellent.

Next time I want to stay longer
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

There was nothing I didnt like about the hotel wish I could have stayed longer

I like the location of the hotel as it’s in the middle of oxford st and darling harbour and it was was 18th birthday so It was easy for me to get back to mecure hotel no matter what way I went

An overall pleasant stay, in a well-located hotel that, for Sydney, is good value for money.
    • Privilege Queen Room

I was disappointed in the preparation of food I ordered in the dining room. [Maybe I chose poorly? But if something is listed on the menu, expectations are raised about what will be served. The consistency & ingredients of the risotto were indistinguishable IMO from a breakfast congee. Edible, yes, but soup-like in consistency [and too salty for my taste] but not what I thought I'd ordered for dinner; and ravioli do not like being pre-cooked, then - I presume - reheated, uncovered, in a microwave until rubbery and tough. The sauce the ravioli were served in was, to be fair, delicious.] A friend has tried the hotel's smaller cafe/bar food menu and speaks very well of it. I'll give that a go next time.

I've stayed here several times & rate it very highly for convenience of location, closeness to transport, comfort, cleanliness and staff efficiency. Breakfasts are always good value IMO: varied & plentiful. Rooms on upper floors are quieter, obviously. TV reception and wifi have never been a problem. Importantly, I found the in-room air conditioning controls to be functional and easily adjustable. No complaints from me about being too hot or too cold! I've left my bags in the luggage room after checkout on one occasion and retrieving them was easy and swift [admittedly, I was not needing them at the inevitably madly busy times of day for all hotels, around check-in & check-out]. Buses and trains are very close by, and walking into the city [Town Hall] or Darling Harbour takes only about 20-30 minutes or so. The hotel is surrounded by many excellent eateries and there are shops/convenience stores just a few minutes away.

Perfect for all of my needs!
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

Internet access was very slow.

Location was excellent - in the CBD, next to train station, University. Friendly, efficient and accomodating staff. Comfortable beds, attractive, well serviced and clean rooms.

Great location and modest rooms

Had to pay $10 for less than 6 hours wifi and the breakfast was extremely busy each morning to the point it was not manageable, long lines and difficult to get a table. Large tour groups and angry patrons swearing and expressing frustration made an unpleasant breakfast!

The central location

Very dissapointed.

Hotel car park stank of off tuna and vomit. Bedroom stank of a drain blockage, every time taps went on the smell got worse. A staff member knocked once on our door and then entered, this was early and we were in bed. Hotel had a hostel feel to it.

Breakfast was ok.

great

As our departure flight was early there wasn't a shuttle to the airport available Cab cost $55 as traffic really bad and he took us off the quickest route

Extra comfy bed So close to all the amenities we were looking for Staff extra friendly busy at checkin we were given a bottle of water while we waited was much appreciated Will definetely stay again

Hotel is OK to stay but stopovers rather than stays.

Excessively clustered at times. No organization at front desk and some staff not welcoming or friendly fronting people, training @ peak hrs keeps customers waiting. Benefits of membership not recognized by staff nor perks offered. Usual toilettries given by Mercure in all hotels were not seen and only bare minimum in room (Soap, Shampoo, Bath Gel and shower cap) so missing room slippers, toothbrush, sewing kit, bathrob, 2 free water bottles, ...)not same as other hotels locations worldwide. Room set up could improve to benefit from natural light and make more inviting not fell like a classical TV cell set up. 2 queen beds for one person is not optimizing resources. ,(I moved the desk to window and gained space. Smoking policies could be applied better, other properties offer a smoke area or deck to avoid visual impact outside hotel which is not cleaned regularly so looks uninviting. For groups the Hotel should consider allocating an arrival area or meeting point ,not next to receoption or front lobby, In general needs to make policies clearer to traveller. Wifi connection could be offered for full stay and not having to renew every 24 hrs but all are small details than can bring improvements but in general it is a hotel that works well for a short stopver not a sta

well located & connected in Sydney . Certain staff excel in providing good service but not easy in a high turn around/stopover hotel concept.

Stay was amazing, had great time in Sydney, close to trains and china town ❤️

Would of liked room with balcony but said i had to pay more. Last time i stayed gave to me for same price as room originally booked.

Love the location , close to eveything

Comfortable bed and room, good service, nice food. but the parking is expensive

The parking for the guests should be free of charge or less than how it is and it was so hard to find parking

Comfort bed and room and I like the food at the resturant in the hotel.

Customer service A+!!

Our room had a slight stale smoke smell but we didn't mind as the room was much better than our previous booked.

We had a minor problem with our room when we checked in and they booked us into another room straight away - no questions asked! Very impressed! They are at the top of their game with customer service from the concierge guy pushing lift buttons to the breakfast wait staff dealing with their busy restaurant with ease. And the breakfast is pretty good too!!! Great value.

Location is the main reason to select this hotel.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

Location is the main reason to select this hotel. Adjacent to Central station and a short walk from the city. Rooms are comfortable and reasonably quiet for the area.

It was very good. Excellent location and amenities in the room, except the Internet and TV services.

Internet and Cable/Satellite Tv services were not up to the mark. I experienced frequent Wi-Fi signal drops in the room and some of the TV channels were not very clear.

The bed and pillows were fanatastic and the room was clean. Location was too good.

As always a pleasure

The restaurant is lovely but a little pricey however the pub alternative and room service are a great alternative

Location is ideal City of Sydney ,ChinaTown and Darling Harbour all on your door step. Staff are efficient and friendly great for business, family or solo stay

Room was big, good Wifi signal, nice staff in general

Breakfast buffet was not so nice presented, some room details such as bathroom corner should be renovated to lift rating towards 8.5

Room was big, good Wifi signal, nice staff in general

Good value situated close to amenities friendly helpful staff
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

Noisy air conditioning. Would have preferred seperate showercubicleerather that having to shower in bath.

Close to central station &darling harbour.good transport network to other areas of Sydney

Concierge service active and willing to help.

Asked for accessible room - husband in wheelchair unable to shower as shower over bath with attached glass panel halfway. In room breakfast cold and expnsive for what you got.

Concierge service active and willing to help. Good room size accommodated wheelchair easily. Ease of access and proximity to station, Darling Harbour and China Town.

Very happy experience.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

A fan (not actually sure what it was) kept coming on during the night which disturbed our sleep. Had to use pillow over the head to block it out.

Excellent location to base yourself to tour the city. Buses right outside, train 5 mins away. ALL the staff were above average - very impressed - would definitely stay again.

A nice room in a good location. However, I had a few issues that are not ordinary.

The toilet leaked and made noise and there were small flying insects in the bathroom. Shortly before checkout, my door lock malfunctioned and this took sometime too resolve.

Staff were friendly and breakfast was good.

Very disappointed with the overall hotel. It wasn’t as flash as I had seen on booking.com.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (3 Adults)

For breakfast, We placed a coffee order that never turned up. Staff were stressed out and rushing around and we were placed right at the entrance of the dining area and there were people flying past us with drinks etc. so it made us feel rushed and uncomfortable. We ate and left quickly. Bit disappointing. The room was not worth the almost $400 a night that’s for damn sure.

Breakfast was nice. And the bed and sheets were lovely and fresh.

The hotel was good value for money. Staff were always helpful and the location was ideal.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

If I had to choose something I’d say the view wasn’t great (a brick wall). But expected, considering we didn’t pay for a room with a view.

The location was great. We came over from Adelaide for a shopping trip and the hotel allowed us to check in early which was excellent.

Very good and exceeded expectations
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

Overall the room was more then expected and quite comfortable and stylish. The service was excellent and staff extremely pleasant and professional.

Thoroughly enjoyable. Excellent location and wonderful access to taxis

The carpet in room 918 had damage as did blinds.

The staff were excellent at reception concierge and at the restaurant. Food at restaurant was excellent and they were fabulous with my niece who has gluten intolerance

excellent
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

Like many hotels, could do with more light eg a ceiling light rather than just lamps. I don't understand why Australian hotels charge for wifi. You get free wifi in the most basic backpacker hostel overseas, and in most airBNBs everywhere, so why do hotels charge enormous amounts for wifi. It was better to use the mobile personal hotspot and risk having to pay an extra $10 for extra data (which would last days) rather than pay the exorbitant amount for wifi (I was staying 8 days so it would have been a lot).

Loved the city view from my room. Room itself very comfortable, cheerful and pleasant. Less depressing than a lot of hotel rooms. The concierges were excellent - so friendly and helpful as I dropped and collected my bicycle from them every day and often twice a day. Location is good, so close to trains, short walk to Darling Harbour and actually an easy walk to city. Surprisingly quiet in room given the location.

The room was very clean, quiet, and the breakfast was...

The card for the door didn't work (despite 3 trips back to the lobby). The duck breast for dinner arrived on my plate nearly raw and I had to send it back to be cooked. The vegetables were roasted to blackness, so it was not a good dinner for $36.

The room was very clean, quiet, and the breakfast was generous.

One toothbrush between two people.
    • Privilege Queen Room

One toothbrush between two people. Toilet could not be used after taking a shower. Had to wait 15 minutes. Bed very uncomfortable, Had a sore neck in the morning.

Breakfast was good, staff were all great and room was clean...

Fitness center very outdated and no free weights, which is beyond very basic. Bath tub very shallow so could not have one.

Breakfast was good, staff were all great and room was clean and comfy.

Suited our needs for short break away

View over railway station

Breakfast buffet very good selection. Room & bed comfortable, smaller bathroom than we are used to. excellent late afternoon meal in bar/lounge prior to train trip home to Canberra

It was awesome. It was we'll located for our events we were attending, well priced, very comfortable
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

Confusion about parking. i wasn't informed there was a charge. I was told to validate my ticket at the desk. I assumed this meant it was included in accommodation. I parked at 11pm and checked out at 4.30am and was told it was $50. A very helpful manager stepped in and wiped the charge which I was very grateful for. I originally had parked across the road in another hotel carpark that charged $20 flat rate so I was a bit shocked I had been there only 5hours overnight (not a popular time of the day)

The bed was really comfy and the bathroom was really clean and the shower had great pressure.

We enjoyed ourselves during our stay and as previously mentioned the staff were friendly&helpful.

There wasn't anything I could say I didnt like so no comment.

We were very impressed with the staff as well as the manager Varun. There was a little confusion after we left however the manager Varun was very efficient & friendly and gave us peace of mind.

Enjoyable relaxing & very pleasant will stay again

It was very busy as it was school holidays but that wasn't anything to do with hotel

We stayed for our 23rd wedding anniversary just for a quick getaway The staff were friendly and service was amazing The strawberries chocolate & champagne was a lovely surprise

The city view from room the staff were very friendly
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

Bathroom the toilet was in a corner on a angle whice made it hard to sit on the bath were to high made it hard to get in and out

The city view from room the staff were very friendly

A comfortable friendly experience. So convenient

The breakfast hot food was just a little too cool. The bathroom floor waste vent brought the smell of cigarette smoke into the room.

The bed was very comfortable

A lovely stay walking distance from Central Station

None!

The location was excellent. The view from our room overlooked the city. The beds were massive and comfy! The pool looked great but didn't get a chance to go in.

Hotel is nice, but disappointed about the room I booked not available and paid the same rate.

I booked a room with a double bed, however when I checked in they only had a single bed room left. \I was expected to pay the same price. Also, in the morning a staff member walked into my room asking if I had used anything from the minibar. I was startled as I was still in bed!

Room was very clean and hotel facilities were excellent.

I really enjoyed the location and the hotel itself, it was...

I think the price for the room I stayed in was a bit overpriced to be honest. Considering how small the room was & the fact that we had to pay extra for parking I think was bit too much for value as well.

I really enjoyed the location and the hotel itself, it was clean & tidy & the staff were very friendly.

Didn’t quite meet my expectations but it is very well located.

Outdated room, especially the bathroom. Requested a large bed (lone traveller) and got 2 small double beds. I’m only 1.75 metres tall and my feet reached right to the end of the bed. The advertised free wifi = must become an ACCOR member (free membership) otherwise the advertised free wifi was going to cost me $10 (can’t remember if that was a daily rate). On check in they deducted $103 from my CC as a bond and repaid it 4 business days after I departed. This wasn’t made clear to me on check in.

The location Friendly staff

Great place to catch up with friends and easy access to the city and the sights. Friendly staff

Reasonably noisy from street

Close proximity to Central Station Staff very obliging when celebrating a course of family birthdays and a request for a needle Good breakfast options

When I book the room, I have chosen the upper floor , but...

When I book the room, I have chosen the upper floor , but the staff at the counter gave me the room at 3rd floor, and the room was not very clean, the bed was not clean.

We enjoyed our stay!
    • Privilege Queen Room

The bathroom! It definitely lets down the room. It is a good size but the tiles need a good scrub and floor gets soaked when the shower is used.

We enjoyed the room. It was comfortable, the bed was a great size and we had amazing customer service.

Walking distance from the train station, nit far central.

The staff knocking our door while not expecting, bathroom no shower cap and no lotion in the bathroom.

Walking distance from the train station, nit far central. The staff in the denning good and friendly....

An unexpectedly quiet room in a convenient location with pleasant helpful staff.

The instant coffee was vile.

(1) Staff smiled and greeted me as I passed, even when I wasn't directly dealing with them. (2) The receptionist asked if I'd prefer a particular floor. I replied "anywhere quiet". My room was very quiet indeed despite the exceptionally busy location. (3) Express checkout information was slipped under my door: very convenient!

Clean, generic corporate hotel room.

Bathroom plumbing needs updating. Bath water drained and came up in the basin. Unsecured wifi only available free for 24 hrs, after signing up for rewards program... Very expensive room with few in-room amenities.

Comfortable. Nice to have the room cleaned every day.

Great spot

Nothing really. The shower. I still managed to get the bathroom floor soaked even tho it had a tub. Lack of a toothbrush kit..

Staff and location, beds, it was quiet. Blackout blinds that worked.

the best location for all over exploration of Sydney

Its just the absolute best location smack bang in the city centre, close to the station with connections all over. The room is modern, clean, bright and sunny, with excellent housekeeping.

Will shop around a bit more, the next time we need to stay in the city.

A little overpriced for a small, stuffy room. Shower screen (bath/shower combo) was not long enough, resulting in water splashing out on to the floor. In addition, the carpet in front of the bathroom door and along the wall heading into the room was saturated. Bit of a bad smell in the room when we arrived, but that disappeared once we turned the air conditioning on.

Location was good - very close to Central station. Blackout blinds on window were brilliant. Woke to our alarm at 9.30am and room was still pitch dark despite blazing sunshine outside.

Love the staff’s service :)

The building and rooms is a bit dated but that’s all.

The staff were really friendly and willing to go out of their way to help in anyway that they could. I hope that they maintain this culture. It’s really warm and welcoming.

Concierge staff were excellent - very attentive - location is a winner

some consideration for private country travellers to have access to reasonable size rooms at a competitive rate

For country guests, the cost of accommodation is a real issue, particularly when you are travelling for leisure and do not have business funds to cover. The room provided was clean, and adequate, but very small. Difficult for my wife and I to be in the bathroom at the same time. the location of your facility is very good, allowing access to the city, without the need for a motor car

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

The ease and location in relation to the station and our destination which was the overseas passenger terminal. It was central to transport links and shopping.

Value for money, comfy and clean. Would stay again

Security deposit. Was not told about it beforehand and it takes 3-5 business days to be refunded

Upgraded to a city view room Extra large double bed was comfy Pillow menu Toiletries (soaps, shower gels) provided Plenty of towels provided

Relaxing & worth a longer stay.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

No robes were provided and the bins had no plastic. If there were robes & sleepers as well, it’s 10 out of 10.

The location, comfortable room,& the delicious buffet breakfast

Perfect
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

The staff where very helpful. As this was a surprise 80th Birthday present for my mother and Aunt. I would like to thank the reception staff for helping ensure they where well taken care of and to Adam the concierge who went beyond and made them feel like royalty.

Great staff, good location, small gym/pool.

The fitness facilities aren't as great as promised - they're very small, and the sauna isn't very hot.

Staff were very helpful, room was clean and comfortable, good breakfast selection.

my young grandsons (10 & 7) were made very welcome at...

Outside Windows could be washed

my young grandsons (10 & 7) were made very welcome at dinner in the restaurant. This was so different to the last time I stayed with my family. Excellent buffet breakfast

The concierge staff.

The rooms didn’t offer good products and limited choices . The room was tired bathroom . Room service aftetn23:00 didn’t offer hot drinks

The concierge staff.... the location .

Some of the staff were quite rude and despite us causing no...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

Some of the staff were quite rude and despite us causing no damage or taking from the mini bar, it took a lot of chasing up and several calls for our security bond to be released.

The room chairs were stained and dirty , but other than that everything else was what I paid for and worth it

Service by all I spoke with was with the upsmost respective professional manner with a smile and I am pleased to say that I will be referring Mecure Central in my next meeting.

It was really nice cosy and the room was value for money

That they had no self laundry and kitchen area to warm up food

That they upgraded my room upon request ,that was really nice of them and I really appreciate that , thank you mercure , the staff are really friendly and helpful when you ask for assistant, the pool gym are sauna was good aswel , fresh towels ,clean pool and sauna ,

Shower was a slip risk having to climb into bath quite...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

Shower was a slip risk having to climb into bath quite slippery and water on floor while showering as screen to short ...my who has bad knees struggled to get in and out safely need non slip mat

Overall a good experience, friendly people.

Room wasn't ready at 2pm so was given a voucher to have a drink which was nice. Young lady on reception said she would come and get me when room was ready but by 3pm I went back to reception and was served by someone else. Appears she forgot about me!

Loved the team at Eve's, they were very friendly and went out of their way to make everyone feel welcome.

A pleasant experience in a very convenient location
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

Cold plates at breakfast. Eggs don't stay hot for long for slow eaters. Vouchers for breakfast, made it good value but the listed price at $29.50 pp could be too much for a lot. The hotel is a maze for first visitors. A map at the lifts might be helpful? Negotiating the TV remote to find favourite channels was frustrating at first. A spot of direction would help, and also a TV guide in the room would be great

The room was clean, neat and just right for our needs. Breakfast was enjoyable with a great choice of dishes. However it was not free, as claimed by Booking.com. The Concierge was highly efficient and ready to honour its incorrect inclusion in the paid price (not taken up by us but still much appreciated)

Check out process is poor. My clients were charged for rooms despite the fact that I already paid.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

I booked this accommodation on behalf of clients. I pre-paid the booking, followed up the hotel with a phone call before the clients checked in to ensure a smooth stay. It was anything but smooth.

ok
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

Confusion over payment. I had booked via a website, told the room was prepaid, then told at checkout it wasn't. Still have to check my credit card statement to see if Ive been charged twice.

Room was good. Helpful concierge.

I’ve stayed in better hotels
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

The room outlook was awful we looked out onto a hostel and an empty unkempt building, there was an awful stench outside the reception where the cars pull in.

It was ok

Clean room, good location but be careful about prices..

We had a problem with booking.com for our stay. We made a reservation 4 days before check in date. but on the check in date the total price of our staying fell down nearly 150 AUD and we could not take any refund or compliement from booking.com or Mercure Sydney.

Cleanliness of room and good location

Out of the four possible outlets in the entire room...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (3 Adults)

Out of the four possible outlets in the entire room (including the bathroom), only two of them worked. I had to blowdry my hair by the window. The handle on the bedstand was also broken, and no slippers were provided. Considering the $400/night I paid (while I was there), I expected more.

I was so grateful at being allowed to check in early when I...

I was so grateful at being allowed to check in early when I hadn't requested this. I thought I might be able to leave my bag until later. This made my Sydney visit a lot more relaxed. Thankyou.

Great location with poor air con

The air coon was incredibly loud and made it difficult to sleep even with the awesome blockout blinds keeping it dark. The air con was individually controlled by each room but was delivered through an old fashioned vent rather than an seperate unit and so the noise was continuous. Wifi is not free and costs $10 a day.

The property was across the road from an event I was attending so I picked it mostly for this reason and was impressed at the price deal, room size and facilities. My event ran all night so I appreciated the amazing block out blinds that kept my 8th floor room cool and completely dark even in the middle of a 37°C day. It was nice to have an evening swim in the rooftop pool but it was a little small and you can't really see the city as its an indoor pool. I didnt try any but some of the food and beer deals looked like good value even though the standard room service menu looked expensive. There are lovely green apples at reception and fruited water in the lobby.

Great location, great hotel, excellent staff
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

better air con and room was a little musty

The air conditioning was not very cold, also the room was a little musty. other than that this was a great hotel and i stayed an extra two nights

We will be back
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds (2 Adults)

I liked everything about the mecure...was a tad expensive though...room service at 1am was excellent...tv remote didnt work very well unless you stood right in front of the tv

Bed to rest my head on Business trip, nothing more.

My room! It was so basic and not up to date. Pillows were dreadful and very motel like decor. Not what I expected for the price I paid. . Check in lady wasn't very helpful at all. After paying more money for an upgrade to secure my room faster before check-in I was shocked at the room. Reception don't answer calls from bedrooms I had to walk down myself. My dinner in the hotel was awful (under cooked burger). Shower in room verrrryyy dated, couldn't shower without washing hair! Won't be returning anytime soon.

The main guy at breakfast. So friendly and accommodating

I am in the accor club, but no membership card, and no...

I am in the accor club, but no membership card, and no question at reception whether I with it or not. Bonus Points? How do you get them. Not much detail anywhere. Also- the line up at reception- often pother people cut in ... there is no obvious way of working out when the line starts and ends.

Browse Mercure Sydney traveller photo gallery