Reviews of The Lyall Hotel And Spa 5 stars

16 Murphy Street, South Yarra, 3141 Melbourne, Australia

#18 of 169 hotels in Melbourne

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

The reception as has been the case on several occasions over the past 12 months when we have stayed were not friendly or aknowleging

The Bellman was very helpful and friendly

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

We liked everything about our stay however the champagne bar was just ever so slightly disappointing. We still had a great night but at 9pm on a sat night it seemed like the bar tender didn’t even know how to make drinks. For a cocktail bar u would think to have a trained staff member on? Otherwise it’s a great little area for drinks!

We enjoyed our stay! We loved south Yarra and it is in a great spot with everything at walking distance. The day spa was Amazing! Both having a relaxation massage. We were happy with value for money.

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

The consideration given by staff was exemplary. They were so thoughtful and upgraded my friends to meet expectations of twin beds to a lovely 2 bedroom suite which was very much appreciated. Bravo.

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

There’s building going on next door (I could touch the new building from the balcony without leaning out!) so if you’re planning to sleep in until that’s finished, go somewhere else. Building activities do not stop (but are reduced) on weekends. Expect activity during daytime hours 7 days a week.

Great location, great staff and very confortable

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

The only thing I can think of is if the construction next door is to expand the Lyall I would be worried about the hotel losing its uniqueness.

Yes the bed was super comfy. The staff are exceptional and the breakfast just right. A warm welcome at all times. A standard that is rare to find these days which means we won't wait another ten years to return!

• Premium One-Bedroom Suite

There is construction still next door as there is a building being built - so you wake up quite early to loud noise; but it was worth staying just to soak in the spa bath (dependent on room type). I would stay again.

I've stayed at this property many times before. I love the boutique style of the Lyall and always find myself getting treated at their fabulous spa at some point during my stay.

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

I love The Lyall. It is my home away from Home when I am in Melbourne. It is in a perfect location , with easy access to shops, Restaurants and transport.

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

Our stay was ruined when staff told us after checking in that they may not be able to accept our $200 voucher (after confirming the day before that we could use it). We were not told until we checked out that it was fine. Telling us this after checking in would have made us feel better. Ruined the whole night.

Comfortable bed

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

The Lyall was a nice boutique hotel when I stayed there almost 10 years ago. Since then, however, it seems to have deteriorated somewhat. The rooms have not been updated or properly maintained. The utilities are poor, e.g. bad wifi, cheap irons, small ironing boards. Some bulbs needed replacing in the suite, which was poorly outfitted and decorated. There was confusion about the suite I booked – a King bed could not be split into twin singles (even though I was told otherwise), so they did give me a complimentary studio room, which I very much appreciated. The staff were helpful but the hotel may have changed management since my previous stay.

Good food. Helpful staff. Nice atmosphere. Great location.

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

The room was very dark. I was travelling for business and needed to work in my room for part of the day; it was a gloomy place to work. I wouldn't stay here again if I needed to be in my room during the day.

The room had a very well appointed kitchen. There was a healthy-option store for supplies nearby - eating healthy was easy!

• Premium One-Bedroom Suite

old and tired dark , had to keep blockout curtains closed as major construction two metre from our window and balcony new apartment block being constructed dust noise so couldn't use balcony , and night flood lights on all night workers arrived at 6.37 am , noise

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Unfortunately there was some construction next to the hotel. We were not made aware of this when booking, and it was noisy. Our room couldn't be moved as the hotel was fully booked. However, the hotel management have very generously offered a credit for a future stay which is very much appreciated.

The service from all staff was excellent. Nothing was too much trouble, from the reception staff to the valet parking. We also ate in the restaurant and had a treatment in the hotel spa - in every respect, the service was fantastic.

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

I didnt like that I was unaware when I booked this 5 star hotel that there would be men standing right outsie my bedroom and loungeroom window on a construction site. These men were literally on my balcony and were there talking from 6.30am. I could not open my curtains as they would look straight in so the room was very gloomy and dark

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

The room was out dated and obvious signs of aging. The construction site next door looked straight into our room and there was no natural light into the room.

The location was great and staff friendly

• Premium One-Bedroom Suite

The location of the hotel in a quiet street was a great surprise for such a superb property. The boutique feel and the class of the staff and the facilities created a big impression with my partner and I. Our room was excellent,we particularly liked the kitchenette. The bathroom was immaculate and the bed was super comfortable. We will certainly visit again.

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Just the building works right next door. Real shame for hotel and customers as the work started at 7am sharp!

Room comfortable. Lots of space amd.fully equipped kitchen :-) great hotel :-) great location.

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

The hotel was next to a construction site so there was loud noises from 615 as workers got to site. The hotel did not advise me they were next to a construction site or have the courtesy to put me in another room

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

The building works being carried out by the hotel owner in the adjacent block while charging full rate for our room. Fortunately the hotel desk took action to move us.

The staff in particular Carmelo, Stephane and Alessandro were terrific.

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Restricted menu in restaurant,expensive breakfast so ate out in the mornings.

Good area for exploring Melbourne.Easy access by tram. The Botanic gardens are superb.Quiet area.

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Upkeep of our room left a lot to be desired. Our bed was very lumpy and too uncomfortable for a restful night's sleep. There was mould in the shower, and a fresh paint job is definitely needed as parts of the room looked shabby. Couldn't get the stove-top to work.

Have stayed at the Lyall a few times. We love the location and proximity to train, tram and restaurants/cafes. Staff are generally very helpful.

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

There was building work when we stayed there, no big deal as we woke up early anyway, but could be an annoyance.

Perfect location, MUCH better than in the city. Nice spacious rooms. Upgrading to the suite is well worth it.

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

No breakfast included in the room rate and WiFi is almost non existent in the room you have to go out in the hall to use it and even then it drops out constantly. Although the hotel is quaint and lovely the room rate is quite expensive.

The home away from home feel of the hotel, the staff were lovely and helpful and the location was great!

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Food in bar/restaurant dreadful. I ordered a ploughmans platter. Came with big chunks fatty ham, cold toast & no cheese. I asked for cheese and it was delivered as two big chunks, cold straight out of the fridge.

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

*view and noise of building site *dirty table and fruit bowl *dvd player was installed by room service n didnt work, 2nd person came, still no sounds *valet parking was not offered so i had to park on the street *alessandro was grumpy and disinterested

The kitchette was fantastic and very well appointed. Paige was great abd helpful.

• Premium One-Bedroom Suite

The breakfast/brunch could be improved - my eggs were too lukewarm for my liking

Staff were fantastic - Noth Davids, Allesandro and Jamie all made us welcome. We were upgraded to suite 410 and it was fantastic. The terrace allowed us to enjoy great views and relax and the suite itself was beautifully decorated in soft greys. There was even a lovely kitchen! The Spa looked great too. We also got great recommendations for restaurants!

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

Great rooms perfect size 2 bedroom apartment for 4. Comfy beds good size bathrooms robes available for use. My second visit for a yearly visit will be back next year

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

The hotel room was very dated and the way in which the bathroom was designed meant when having a shower the floor was covered in water.

The service provided by the hotel staff was fantastic and the genuine interest shown in guests was noted.

• Premium One-Bedroom Suite

Overrated bar and bistro. Small public areas. Tiny balcony facing a construction site. Website states Champagne bar offers many French champagnes by the glass- only 1. Surprised that the small bar doubled as the bistro. No in-house movies only a DVD library!

Not much

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

Location, security and the ambiance.

It is the perfect location for me, I travel from my now home to the city, feel secure and safe at the Lyall and can meet friends for lunch or dinner and attend the necessary meetings. I have stayed there four times in the past few weeks.

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

No pricelist for minibar and other provisions. No biscuits for the tea/coffee!! Once the room wasn’t done by 1pm. My set price for breakfast was $30 so I didn’t bother as I didn’t want large breakfasts and had a croissant and coffee in the street.

I was allocated a small suite away from the construction site which was very thoughtful and much appreciated. It was extremely well equipped with lots of thoughtful extras but NO biscuits for the tea!! Rooms & bathroom were very clean and well maintained.. Staff were pleasant and helpful. Location was excellent.

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Room was expensive considering it is tired and buildongs worms are right on your face next door including the workmen being very close so no privacy and balcony unuseable. Staff patchy service in both attitide and experience. Overall would not stay again

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

The dust from the new construction, and sometimes the noise

Extra comfy bed, warm floor, kitchen facilities, shower temperature & water pressure, prompt attention from reception staff, incl. rapid response when I left my prescription eye drops behind.

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

The dinner menu was a bit small so we ate out which was to our benefit. We understand why a hotel in their position would offer such a small menu.... the outside choices are numerous and exceptional. So not really a "dis-like" but I felt it should be said for anyone considering this hotel.

A very well appointed room with heaps of facilities, more than we expected and could ever use. The hotel has a spa attached to it and there are spa products available for use in the bathroom, we found them to be of high quality. The bed and linen were of exceptional quality. Located in a great part of Melbourne's inner suburbs. Also, I was lucky enough to meet the owner and have a good conversation, although this was by chance the meeting made me feel even more welcomed! We will definitely be staying here again.

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

I know this hotel is a little on the older side now, and because of that is defintely due for a freshen up, the rooms are quite dowdy. The wifi was so slow and kept cutting out, it made doing any work very very frustrating.

I primarily picked this hotel because of the location and the free wifi.

Cannot think of anything

Very comfortable. Free upgrade and location was precisely in the area we wished to be. We have stayed here before and always enjoy the facilities and staff plus the location. Thank you again

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

I travelled for business and needed to work in my room. The wifi was extremely slow and kept dropping in and out. It was so bad I couldn't work. This is a lovely hotel, perfect for a holiday but I could not recommend it for business travelers.

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

There was no way to play a DVD even though DVDs were offered. Foxtel was not working the first night. The internet was intermittent.

I liked that the room was offered at an early check in should it not be occupied the previous night. I really appreciated the coffee while I waited for check in (I arrived earlier than the appointed time). I appreciated the upgrade. I liked the quiet elegance.

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

I stayed there 10 years ago and it was Uber. Unfortunately it feels like it hasn't been updated since then. A little disappointing and tired.

Great location. Quiet street. Friendly staff.

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

To bring it upto a luxury standard I think the bathroom was very small as there was a bath over the shower. If there is no room just take the bath out and the shower would have more room to move. So I think the bathroom needs to be revamped.

The bed was very comfy and the room very quiet.

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Suites due an upgrade perhaps? I've been coming for years and it feels like a home from home. However, the suites have remained exactly the same and could do with updating.

Lovely vibe about the place. Relaxed. Comfy.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

The wifi signal isn't great and the table in the room was quite small, when there was room for a bigger one.

The staff were very lovely and welcoming, and I had a really recent sized balcony with my room. It felt like a home away from home which is what I was needing.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

I never ask for a particular room, but felt that, as the hotel seemed only partially booked, that I could have been given a room away from the street and away from the early start of the construction workers.

Friendly welcome. Assistance to find parking on the street. Information pack and discount voucher.

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

The rooms are starting to feel a little tired ; taps leaking , bedding seems a bit old

Love sitting by the fire having a drink - very cosy. The location is fantastic.

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Our gorgeous room overlooking the leafy trees was spoilt by the construction work right next to the room which we were not advised about did impinge on the enjoyment of that room. We requested another room which was quieter but not as nice. The staff were lovely. I think customers do need to be advised about the construction noise.

The dining area for breakfast, coffees and evening drinks beautiful!

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

• Premium One-Bedroom Suite

I would not describe this hotel as a five star luxurious experience. The rooms are slightly tired, bedside lamps, difficult to read by, towels not big and fluffy. Bathroom dated needs regrouting. There are mattress toppers but they are synthetic rather than feather so although the bed is comfortable you become very overheated as if there is an electric blanket beneath you.

Extremely professional and helpful staff, who discussed rooms and made sure we were in a quiet part of the hotel to avoid building noise. I very much appreciate that it is a privately owned hotel and not corporate and bland. Lovely location. Interesting charming neighbourhood.

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Only drawback was the noise from the construction site next door. It didn't bother us a lot though.

The location was superb and the restaurants and cafes nearby were fabulous.

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

We have stayed at the Lyall a few times over the past years. We enjoy the location and service. This time however we found the WIFI was not up to standard and we had to turn it off, as it was way too slow. We were staying for pleasure, but a business or overseas traveller would find this annoying and costly.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

• Premium One-Bedroom Suite

Inflexibility of the hotel when I had to return home unexpectedly early on the morning of the second day of my stay -- they were not prepared to refund any of my prepayment of the whole of my stay. (This was the case notwithstanding that I have stayed there a number of times over the last 18 months.) Also, the amount that was debited from my credit card upon checkin was $200 more than the booked rate, whereas the booking website advises you that this will be $100.)

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

The building construction next door was impacting as tour room 209 not only had trucks right outside our window but the room shook with each thump. We feel we should have been forewarned of the construction on that side of the building. Would recommend this at time of booking. This impacts the Llyall experience.

We always look forward for our Llyall experience ! The hotel, staff , location make it so special.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Exceptionally friendly, attentive and helpful front desk staff. Very welcoming. Lobby had great places to sit and talk or read or work. Rooms were very large and well-designed. Fun neighborhood with many good cafes and restaurants in short walking distance. Spa massage was excellent after 15 hour flight.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Breakfast service was really poor - there were plenty of staff available but it still took them 15 minutes to produce a bowl of muesli! Fortunately there are plenty of cafes nearby so we had breakfast out for the rest of the stay.

Location is great - close to tram and train and good boutique shops, cafes and restaurants. Rooms are nice - we had a separate bedroom and kitchen lounge, all with good facilities.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

wifi not good TV in lounge was locked, rectified once but went back to lock.

great staff, very helpful good room service very clean, cleaning staff excellent

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

• Premium One-Bedroom Suite

Would have liked to have a washer dryer in the room. But it was located in a common area in the basement.

We had a wonderful stay here and plan to return soon. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Location excellent. Right by chapell street and toorak road. We were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite, which was a pleasant surprise.

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

Nothing really

The location was great and the staff were very pleasant and friendly when I arrived. The spa bath and bathrobes were amazing and bed very comfortable and the balcony was very cute

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

The apartments had everything you could think off and the best mini bar ever. the staff were fantastic very polite and so helpful the food and coffee awesome too.Nice quite location. I would soooo recommend this hotel for the polite (luxury) service, location, food oh and the Champagne bar.

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

The hotel and its staff were superb. A slightly rocky initial discussion when I went to inspect the room made me wonder, but I cannot speak highly enough of the hotel's comfort and the staff's service. I booked my (rural) parents in for this stay and not only were they upgraded, but I suspect the staff kept an extra eye on my father, whose mobility these days is shaky. The quiet room requested, a late drink, a late platter lunch, nothing was a problem. My parents loved their stay here. Thank you all! And it's also a location that makes negotiating Melbourne's public transport extremely easy.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

A small outdoor area or roomier bar/restaurant facilities would make this hotel Excellent.

Good size and nicely appointed room with excellent in room facilities. Very comfortable. The hotel is very well located on the fringe of a leafy, stunning suburb with good access to the Botanic Gardens and city as well as the excellent cafes and restaurants in South Yarra.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

The concierge on the day was not helpful in knowing there was an event on that had us sit in a cab for 30 minutes only to return to the hotel because we couldn't reach the city.... would have been good to know that before we walked out the door. Apart from that we loved our stay.

The intimate, vibe, size of the hotel and the style.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

• Premium One-Bedroom Suite

Safe in room didn't work despite failed attempt to fix. Workout room can stand an equipment upgrade with respect to weight machines and free weights.

The entire hotel staff displayed a "guest first" mindset, and were very helpful and accommodating; location is awesome.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

Unbelievably rude reception staff, enough to make me write a bad review on multiple review sites. Did not make us feel welcome or valued as guests. Rude, abrupt, tone of voice and made assumptions / questioned the validity of our booking, and also my credit card (!!). We wanted to leave before I'd even be given the key to the room. More like the service that you'd find at a cheap nasty roadside motel, not a "luxury 5 star hotel" Pictures are also a little deceiving - these rooms are tiny - shower was in the bath with no splash screen - which meant that water leaked everywhere and flooded the bathroom floor. Also, as an added bonus, the television was glitchy and annoying. Would never stay here again.

Super clean rooms, Comfy bed, surprisingly big balcony with a beautiful tree-line view.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

The coffee machine didn't work.

The rooms were beautiful. Loved that the rooms were separate frim the lounge. Loves the color scheme and was incredibly cosy and inviting.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Loved it all really. Perhaps a TV in the bedroom...

Comfy bed. LIttle touches like a fire in the hallway are unique and very boutique hotel. Not crowded like large hotels are so we felt very special and cared for as individuals

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

the air conditioning didnt seem to work. it was too warm in room but we solved by opening a window.

Everything was just as we wanted for a short break away. Luxurious, quiet well appointed.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

Very accommodating! Loved meeting one of the owners David he made me feel at home! Would recommend this hotel to everyone and I will stay here on my return back to Melbourne!

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Lighting rather dim. Some tv channels had no sound but advertisements were speaking !!! A to malfunction I have never come across before!

Very quiet. Very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

I thought that it was a bit expensive. The exercise machine that I wanted to use in the gym was not working. Gym was very cramped. However I should say that during the two days that I was in the hotel I used the gym three times and I never saw anyone else use the gym. Wifi did not work too well in the first rom that I was in, however the staff warned me that this may be the case.

Nice hotel in a nice location. Staff were very helpful. The heating worked, which for me was essential.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

Agreed to a late check out of 1 hour later but even longer would have made things perfect as we wanted a cruisey morning and ended having to rush a bit through breakfast.

Staff were very attentive. We called room service and reception with a lot of questions and they were always super friendly, prompt and helpful.

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

• Premium One-Bedroom Suite

Starting to look a little worn.

A very European small hotel, just off Toorak Road. Many restaurants at your doorstep. Well mannered and friendly staff. Love the buzz of the area.

Bed

Nice location

Location, room and service

Delightful Charming and restful

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Staff were a little underwhelming but the stay was great

Not 5 star.

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

Work going on next door that had a light on all night and started drilling at 7:30

• Classic Double Room with Balcony

The construction next door was unbearable.

Location is great!