Reviews of Great Southern Hotel Brisbane 4 stars

103 George Street, Brisbane CBD, 4000 Brisbane, Australia

#105 of 148 hotels in Brisbane

4.5

• Standard King Room (Unserviced)

The bed was a little hard. The lamps beside the bed didn't work. But, I wasn't overly concerned too much with them.

The view of Southbank from my room of a night was gorgeous. Room was clean. The location was really good. The Pancake House near the hotel was a hotspot.

• Standard King Room (Unserviced)

No microwave..not enough shampoo n conditioner.

the carpark really expensive, and my bond still waiting for it...but close to all shops and transport so easy to catch.

• Standard Queen Room

Mattress not comfortable - I have stayed here previously in other rooms and mattresses were wonderful. Back of bathroom door needed a clean. No glass in bathroom for cleaning teeth. Used tea cup instead. Not really a problem. Chain on door needed repair.

Price, Roomy, convenience to CBD, staff friendly and helpful.

• Standard Queen Room (Unserviced)

The room was a little loud. The bathroom window was bolted open so street noise couldn't be shut out. The minibar fridge was inside a cabinet so ran constantly - I had to turn it all the way down at night so it would shut off and I could get to sleep.

Good quality accommodation for the price. The room was furnished well, bed comfortable, and the bathroom was clean and new-looking.

nothing!

our beds were very comfortable , the view was lovely looking down on the river and the full breakfast was very good, also the hotel was very quiet .

• Standard King Room

Although, this is a good hotel. But unfortunately there is one thing that I always look for when I'm staying in a hotel which is a bathrobe. I wish the hotel can supply this such thing. Can be very convenient.

A great location, hotel is within the heart of the city. Pretty much everything is walking distance. The hotel itself also got a restaurant (very handy). The room is nice, great view for my booked room (executive room) you can see the river. Staffs are nice as well.

• Standard Queen Room

I was surprised and disappointed that there was no free wifi. They also charge by the hour for late checkouts. Overall, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Standard Twin Room

The place was clean. The bed was very hard. A fan or something in the bathroom was very noisy all night that I couldn’t turn off. Also we couldn’t adjust the air conditioning. It was a bit cold.

Easy to get to and very good value as we were only there for 9 hours.

• Standard Queen Room Riverview

One current major drawback is the major NOISY construction work going on opposite the hotel. Starts early in morning and is noisy. Hotel does not have double glazing. If you want to sleep past 6:30 you’ll struggle!

Good choice of breakfast. Ideal location for cultural areas of Brisbane. Bus and train services close by. Lovely views over the river.

Very old and tired, tiny bathroom, hopeless shower & $25 per night parking fee

Location central to everythg, beds comfy and pretty clean - ok for a night or two

• Family Room

Hotel is very old and dated. Fittings and fixtures all really need an update.

The location was fantastic and the staff was very nice. We only had 1 night stay for a show at QPAC, which was a really short walk. Great food and shopping close by.

• Standard King Room

Check-in person was not friendly, room was noisy, couldn't fit 4x4 in the car park - low height and very tight space.

The hotel should not be 4 star - can hear the neighboring guests (so they could hear us for sure lol) however for one night right in the city heart the price was right.

• Standard Twin Room

Great staff, location and very fast elevators! I got a surprise upgrade to a luxury, spacious room (thank you), but the hotel is from the 90s and needs some fresh touch for sure. Still, it contained everything one need for a short hotel stay.

• Standard Twin Room

The room was freezing cold and if would have been helpful if someone at reception had explained how to access the wifi when I checked in. And could have also alerted me to the building site behind and the all-night building noise. It didn't worry me as much as the cold, but always good to know.

The staff were great.

• Standard Queen Room

It is such an old place with construction across the street but the view of the Southbank was very good.

Proximity to the bridge and Queen street as well as Gardens point all excellent

above

on arrival I was given a dreadful room in great state of dis-repair however the next day I was moved to a much better room, the room was so-so clean dirt in the slider door of fridge section, I never had my towels or rubbish emptied for the whole of my stay , I could put up with sheets not been changed but the rubbish and towels I think is a must, The staff were exceptional, very helpful and the situation of the hotel was great

• Executive Room

The air conditioning in our room was far from satisfactory. Despite attempts by staff to have this rectified our three day stay was spoiled by a room that was way too cold. To try and alleviate this we were given a heater for the room but the overall still fell short of the mark.

Staff were really helpful and we wanted a hotel central to the CBD so it fitted the bill. The room was spacious and we were very happy with that.

• Standard Queen Room (Unserviced)

The room was much bigger and the view had far less interruption to where I usually stay and pay double the price for. This is my new regular accommodation now when in the city. Way above expectations.

• Family Room

I was disapionted with the location of our room as I did request a room with a view like last time we visit. Aslso our beds was so hard and uncomfortable.

We have stay here in the pass and was happy with the acmadation and location.Great value for money.

• Standard Queen Room

The first day, when we just arrived, the receptionist told us room cleaning was not included, so we should pay 20$ per night! Wifi costs 3$ per day... We also ask to keep our luggage for one night and the hotel do not offer any solution, so we had to book an extra night to be able to keep our bags there.

The location was great!

• Standard Twin Room (Unserviced)

A bit noisy at the moment due to the construction work over the road. We were top floor and the shower was lacking in pressure.

View and position are the best things about this hotel. Good value for money

• Standard Queen Room

Beds are like rocks, had cockroach visit me. Window in bathroom is permanently open and very noisy.

• Standard Queen Room

Because we booked it through Booking.com, we did not get room cleaning service.

Location is great, the staff is helpful and there are all the amenities you need. The room is large enough.

• Standard Queen Room (Unserviced)

Tv signal kept cutting out. Could have used a microwave and somewhere to lay suitcase.

Shower head wouldn’t stay up unless water was running. Shower base, water wasn’t draining properly and was filling up.

• Standard Queen Room

Restaurant a little expensive i.e. Breakfast. Didn't utilise. Room not serviced daily, that I don't remember agreeing to when booking.Offered 2 complimentary services, good but should have been a given anyway.

We were lucky to get the views from the windows on the river side. Large room.

• Standard Queen Room

When we booked we got a deal on the room, when we got there we were told we didn't get housekeeping, so we had to trek downstairs to reception when w wanted clean towels, toilet roll etc, no housekeeping meant the toilet wasn't cleaned for the whole time we were there., bin wasn't emptied for 5 days.... disgusting, when we got a deal on the room it shouldn't have meant we had to skimp on the experience. The room wasn't clean there was fluff hanging out of the air con unit, and a huge bloody cockroach in the bathroom (we were on the 12 floor) The place was old and dated.... C'mon Great Southern Hotel sort it out !!!!

The Great Southern Hotel was conveniently situated in the centre of the CBD, which made it easy for shopping eating and exploring the South Bank

• Standard King Room (Unserviced)

My heater was broken, so they brought me a portable heater. That didn't work either, so the first night it was already late and needed sleep, so gave up and went to sleep cold. The staff said tgey would get some one in to fix it the next day. I had to follow it up the following night as nothing had been done. They swapped the portable to one that worked and gave me spare blankets. Which then were heavy and made sleeping uncomfortable. No offer of any compensation.

The staff were lovely and tried to their best to fix a situation when the hotel was dull and couldn't move me to another room.

• Standard King Room

Our room was dirty. The edge of the table had muck around the edge. There was a large hand print beside the air conditioning. The carpet had holes in it and was thread bare.

No evening meals breakfast was basic

• Standard Queen Room

Bed was extremely uncomfortable, a noise in the hallway all night so got barely any sleep, pool area never got any sun because of all the building surrounding it and was quite crap. No balcony or a window to open, no fan or air con in bathroom, after a while we struggled to breath in there.

It was clean enough and the staff were friendly

• Standard King Room

The room is old and dusty. The carpet is dirty and has marks on it all over. The bed is very uncomfortable. The room temperature is difficult to adjust. The bathroom is very tiny and uncomfortable. I would not stay here again and would not recommend it to anyone.

The location is convenient as it is in Brisbane CBD

• Standard Twin Room (Unserviced)

Very dated room. Lots of furniture not needed in random places Dirty marks oneall. Bathroom not very clean. Toilet paper not refreshed after previous guest. Air conditioning sparatic.

• Standard King Room

On check in I would have liked them to tell me where the gym was or even what the Wi-Fi situation was. I had no idea on either point.

The room and bathroom were clean and quiet.

• Standard King Room

We were told there was no housekeeping for stays over 2 days which we found very odd! (Surely there would be more need for housekeeping for longer stays). So when we needed clean towels, more teabags etc, we had to go and ask for them. We left our dirty towels outside the room as we were told to do and they were not replaced. We enquired about the cost of a local phone call and the receptionist had no idea. The hotel itself is tired and a bit shabby (particularly the bathroom) and needs some tlc.

The central city location was great however the construction site across the road starting work at 6.30am wasn't so flash! The bed was firm and comfortable and the room clean. The view from our 6th storey room was excellent.

• Standard King Room

there is nothing that I can remember I don't like, I can only say that I really do enjoyed my time staying at the Great Southern Hotel.

My partner and I really do enjoyed our time staying at the Great Southern Hotel, the environment was really great and the staff were so friendly, room service was excellent and the food serve on breakfast was also excellent.

• Standard Twin Room (Unserviced)

Parking was rather tight to navigate. Will know to take own bathroom accessories next time as only provided with one small soap and tube of shower/conditioner.

Great location and view over Southbank. Easy walk to QPAC. Staff were friendly and helpful. Great value for money

• Family Room

The sachet coffee was gross. They only gave a family of four one swipe card, and after asking for a second one, lied and said they had no more and then a guy out the back office said "just give him one". Parking was expensive. No microwave.

Bed was comfortable. Towels were fluffy. Walking distance to everything.

• Standard Queen Room

The shower handle was broken, the cupboard to the fridge was broken and the bed was very hard. The window in the bathroom would not close so in the morning it was very cold.

Good location, staff were nice.

• Standard Queen Room

Had a problem with having to pay a cash bond when I had paid for room already on cc and if I paid swiped cc for incidentals was going to be changed 300$ n would take a week to put back on my card.

Clean and comfortable

• Standard King Room

Renovated bathroom but installed the Worst shower head ever! Furnishings a bit dated. No heating in the room but a heater was provided on request.

Location, price, close to queen street mall & riverstage both 10 mins walk. View of River & city from room was great.

• Executive Room

Bed was really hard and I often like a hard bed but this was just too hard. Receptionist had bad communication regarding the parking. I parked in front of the hotel and asked her if its fine to park there and she said yes but I need to move it before 6am/7am (cant remember the exact time), but I was happy with that. I told her are you triple sure its okay to leave it there now until that specified time without having to pay and she said yes as long as you move it its okay. This was at 8.30pm, I then left to go get dinner only to come back and find a $90 fine on my car as I was meant to pay for parking until 10pm which the receptionist did not tell me. She told me it would be fine. When I confronted her she just said she was so sorry and offered to pay for the fine but obviously I wasn't going to let her. I just think all of this could have been avoided if she knew the right facts about the parking or at least said she is not sure, I should go check the parking board (which I would have done if she didn't assure me 3 times that it is okay to leave it there).

Room had amazing views, lovely modern bathroom, great location!

• Standard King Room

Facilities were well below expectations. My towels were stained, along with my room having many marks on the walls and roof. Would not recommend.

Competitively priced, staff friendly, good location and great views from my window.

• Standard King Room

The parking is a bit of a problem

It was a great location, The staff were really nice and the view was great. It was very affordable. I would be very happy to stay there again.

• Standard King Room (Unserviced)

Air con was a little weak, but honestly it's no big deal

A lot. The buffet breakfast, VERY convenient location, the price, the very helpful staff, the well maintained facilities

• Standard King Room

The room was very basic. Although we paid for an unserviced room it was very plain and boring. It was very cold especially the bathroom, which was also very loud and noisy due to the vent, which you couldn’t turn off. We were given 1 soap and a small conditioner, where was the rest of it ?! Also when booking it didn’t state you had to pay a $100 bond when you got there. Was very disappointed with that.

The staff were friendly and accommodating. View was really nice, especially at night

• Standard King Room

Top sheets had dirty marks. Would have thought a biscuit would have been nice for cup of tea. Jug of cold water would have been appreciated.These are things that are normally in a room

Beds fine.Staff service exceptional

• Standard Queen Room

I Tom Lachlan Van Den broek paid for two nights accommodation but upon arrival i was instructed I wasn't able to stay without ID. So as my wallet had been stolen just hours earlier even though i explained this to reception and i was more than willing to offer 100 points of id i had stored in my luggage bag reception advised me that this was not acceptable, my partner offered her id the staff who had previously said this was perfectly suitable minutes later retracted the offer to help because it was going to be to hard to change the name on the booking conformation.. We're both from another state rural (NSW) had travelled hours to this foreign destination, inaccessible to the help and safety of our family or friends we stressed to staff that we feared for our wellbeing and safety.. We had been really looking forward to staying in Queensland having both worked so hard towards saving for this weekend away only to be told that we couldn't stay as that a further 100 deposit would be needed to keep the booking and photo id for myself even though all parties stressed this at such short notice and at time of night 530pm on a friday this wouldn't be at all possible.. I stress that this was not in any of the terms or conditions on booking.com they also stated because of my age (17) and not having photo id that my only option was to cancel the booking without refund of $221.18 that the hotel had charged my visa immediately during the booking procedure i didn't get offered to change the date of the booking or offered any alternatives, refund or compensation I.

Very unhappy with the hotel staff and poor service

• Standard Queen Room

Didn't realise the Hotel had a pool until I noticed it mentioned when in the lift. Otherwise the stay was really good

The staff at the frontvdesk were very helpful also the Hotel is Central to all facilities

• Standard King Room

It’s really just a basic room, nothing fancy and the construction outside was super loud. Parking was expensive

The bed was comfy and the pool was an added bonus. The view at night was amazing of southbank

• Standard King Room

there just out to get any extra penny’s of you. I got parking what was not meant to be at any extra cost.. when I left at 10.00 I asked can I go get a few things for an hour and leave my car.. the man said that ok ur ok to stay to 2pm.. I landed back at 12 to collect my car.. landed down to the desk to collect my 100 dollar cash that I give them for a deposed.. she started to say I never left at 10 trying to get money of my deposed.. the man walked passed and I said to here that this man seen me and said that ok to 2pm then she said that the parking 25 dollars a night.. so all I got back was 75 out off my 100 dollars. Not happy with this hotel will never stay there again

• Standard King Room

We were only allowed one key even though there were 2 people staying in the room. There looked to be black mould in the shower and the room was not the same as the picture. Air con didn’t work properly as it was stuck on cold. Only one bar of soap provided when you need at least 2, 1 for the shower and one for the hand basin. There was no hand towel and the air vent in bathroom was very dusty/ dirty. The curtains looked to have mould behind them. The layout wasn’t functional with the bedside table too far from the bed. Could do with an update.

The staff were friendly. The bed was comfortable because I prefer a hard bed. The location was great. View was very nice.

• Standard Queen Room

Foyer & lifts need sprucing up! Pool very small & no nice furniture around it, could do with a refurb

Great location, central to all I required!

• Standard King Room

THE PROPERTY IS ADVERTISED AS 4 STAR, BUT 4 STAR SERVICE IS NOT OFFERED. WE WERE TOLD THAT OUR ROOM WOULD NOT BE SERVICED BECAUSE WE GOT A 'GOOD DEAL' ON BOOKINGS .COM. THIS IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH, AND IS NOT MENTIONED ANYWHERE ON THE WEBSITE WHILST BOOKING.WHEN MY WIFE ASKED WHY OUR ROOM WAS NOT MADE UP, THE STAFF AT THE HOTEL TOLD HER THAT WHEN SHE SIGNED IN SHE SIGNED FOR A NON SERVICED ROOM.VERY DECEITFUL ADVERTISING. NOT HAPPY

LOCATION

• Executive Room

Parking is very tight unless you’re driving a small car but was able to checkout and leave our car there for a couple hours after checkout

Value for money with amazing views of Southbank. We were pleasantly surprised we had a huge spa in our room. Quiet at night. Blockout drapes. Room furnishings are basic but it’s clean and the bed was very comfortable. Location is perfect

• Standard King Room

I know the hotel is about to be renovated so I understand now why the chairs and furniture were quite old. It's not very fancy but good value for the money I paid. I recommend it.

Very well located and nice staff. Big room and renovated bathroom with clean sheets and towels.

• Standard King Room

The beds were so comfortable, the view from the room was fantastic, the staff were friendly,polite and helpful. The location was perfect to everything, which was in walking distance.

• Standard Queen Room (Unserviced)

The furniture is old. The bed is uncomfortable. They didn’t change the towels and there was no tissue in the room or water. The male receptionist in the first night wasn’t welcoming. The shampoo also wasn’t enough for two night. when we walked through the main door there was a very bad smells coming from the restaurant.

The location is good.

• Standard King Room

Free wifi would have been good. This was the only place in our whole trip across Australia that charged for it!!

Excellent location within walking distance from everything in the city.

• Standard King Room

There was no bath. The bed was very hard and uncomfortable with no duvet just a sheet. The old wooden furniture makes the room feel like an old hostel

The bathroom was very modern The staff were friendly and helpful Great location

• Standard King Room

No parking for our large size Ute got told to park on a ramp but declined as our Ute is wide if your going to be charged $25 for parking you would think each room has a spacific parking space. Had to park up the street in another parking area which is inconvenient !!

• Standard King Room

The room was dirty the bathroom was poky there was three pillows on the bed therefore I was forced to fold up blankets to use as an extra pillow the bed was short sheeted on the bottom sheet which made it uncomfortable to sleep we was always fixing up the sheet there was only enough toiletries for one person not two they never explained payment details until we booked out parking spaces to small for larger vehicles my partner had to had several attempts to park in such a small park

• Standard Queen Room

The room was very dated and not a lot of light at all. Have to pay additional for Wi-Fi even though you can get free WiFi on the street from Brisbane council. Breakfast and other food seems very expensive so we didn't eat there. Air conditioning was not great probably because it's so old.

Great location and a good price for the area. 24 hour reception was a bonus as out flight was delayed and we didn't arrive until 4am but were able to check in straight away. Great that it has tea and coffee making in the room and an iron. All the basics you need if you have a busy trip planned.

• Standard King Room

I arrived at midnight and was leaving the hotel at 8am the next morning I was exhausted from my flight and they charged me $25 to park my car in the tightest car park ever I was glad to have a reverse camera and a lot of experience or my car would have been smashed up

• Family Room

The interior of the rooms could be a little more updated. Including window furnishings.

The beds were a good size and high quality matresses were an added surprise for family accomodation at this price.

As above

Staff were really good. Would have been nice to be able to access the outdoor pool after 9pm, Bed was slightly hard. Otherwise frienldy staff, primo location and will stay here again when I come back in a few months.

• Standard Queen Room

Bed was quite hard and not comfy. Poor quality of coffee in room. Whilst the mugs provided had Lavazza advertising on them, the coffee was actually Continental - in my opinion cheap and disgusting. Whilst I would not have expected Lavazza, I would have expected something a little more palatable, but this is personal preference.

Excellent selection of food and beverages for breakfast. Well cooked, really tasty, loved the streaky bacon - nice and crispy. staff really friendly. Room very clean, shower excellent - was able to set comfortable temperature straight away. Plenty power sockets to charge phone and tablet whilst still being able to watch tv, use kettle etc. Staff very friendly and knowledgeable, great location to visit local area.

• Standard Queen Room

The staff just need some better customer service skills check I was hard and when I rang in the morning to tell them I would be a few more minutes after 10 o’clock check out I was told to hurry or I’d be changed $10 an hour

Loved the room big bed big spa clean fresh a little mismatch between spa titles and bathroom title but really big room comfortable bed

• Family Room

The beds were too hard. Maybe they need to buy new mattresses. Towels were too thin. Breakfast wasn't great.

Great location, great staff, would definitely stay again if beds were more comfortable and towels were fluffy and more choices for continental breakfast.

• Standard King Room

Not enough towels, soap or shampoo provided. They charge an unreasonable fee for internet use. They do not make up your room with room service (or advise you that they were not going to make up my room) - this was for a four day stay. Not good.

• Standard Queen Room

Please provide a shower cap in the room. Please provide 2 keys - my husband and I were doing different hints but it seemed like there wasn’t enough keys for us to come and go separately.

Close to amenities, breakfast was lovely

• Standard King Room

Stained linen, asked for replacement - still stained!! We were promised that parking on site was available at time of booking, NOT TRUE on arrival - completely stressful! Air-conditioning didn't work properly.

• Standard Queen Room

2 minute walk to queen st mall.Able to check in at midday. A basic room but absolutely GREAT value for money if you just want somewhere to park your car, do a bit of shopping, get ready for a night out in the city and have somewhere safe and reasonably priced to sleep. The bed was nothing to brag about, but the staff were lovely!

• Family Room

Kitchenette, or lack of was challenging for a 3 night stay with a young family. The room came with very low amount of dishes - not even plates or bowls made in impossible to be self sufficient. The only place you could wash up was the bathroom sink.

Pretty much everything - the location, staff friendliness and the great value for money. The room was a great size while offering a small lounge area within the room. Bathroom was nice and modern. There seemed to be good soundproofing to the rooms also.

• Standard King Room

We booked here based on location and affordability. The location was perfect for quick walking access to the CBD. The price was reasonable compared to others in the area. For a quick trip to the middle of the city, and a clean, basic place to stay, it was ideal.

• Standard King Room

Hotel clearly seen better days, some areas of room in poor condition. Selected two twin beds upon booking online, did not translate through to reception staff and was left waiting for hours as a new room was prepared.

• Standard Queen Room

Fruits in the continental area was not fresh n off.juices not full,nearly empty.should do better than that as 4 star hotel.I used to work in sofitell in melb.also other hotels..so I know what to expect in good Hotel.

Staff very friendly n helpful.room clean.

Browse Great Southern Hotel Brisbane traveller photo gallery