Reviews of Cairns Harbour Lights 4 stars

1 Marlin Parade, 4870 Cairns, Australia

#14 of 73 hotels in Cairns

Great Stay!
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Trinity Inlet View (2 Adults)

The hotel is at a superb location (5 min walk to everything). The room is very quiet, has a great view and more importantly it is super clean and tidy. A great hotel to be staying at and I'm looking forward to coming back to stay with them during my next stay to Cairns.

Nice layout of room.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The mattress was old and floppy. The A/C In the room was like a turbine engine running all night. Need a fan in room so you can turn off air con. And the curtains in bedroom need to block out light not just stop people looking in. The pool was freezing no heated at all prity disappointed.

Nice layout of room.

Good location , clean and modern
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Trinity Inlet View (2 Adults)

On Booking .com, room was advertised as Trinity Inlet views however my room was at the side of the building looking into Hilton Hotel and street. If I stood on my balcony and looked to the left I could see a fraction of the inlet - not the view advertised which I thought it would be - room facing the water with no street views. For $184 and $12 parking I think that the cost was overpriced. I should have chosen the Hilton with guaranteed views of the Inlet. This has happened to me before in Cairns when I booked through booking. Com. In 2014 I booked a room advertised with ocean views in a building near Cairns Base Hospital.Advertised photo on booking. Com showed ocean views overlooking the Esplanade. Our room was on the side of the building looking into hospital rooms. Had to stand on my balcony and look around the corner to have a view of the sea. I do not know who is responsible for this false advertising- the accommodation proprietors or booking. Com. Next time I will phone hotel or units to speak to management and book directly through their office. I have always used booking. Com in the past - very efficient with ability to cancel if necessary. Not impressed after 2 wrong bookings - could have spent less money elsewhere for similar unsatisfactory views.

Good location , clean and modern

Small bedroom, very sterile feel. Image on internet showed room with bath tub. No bath in my room.
    • Standard King Room

No onsite car parks available at the time of my stay even though there is undercover car parking. Advised insufficient available and I would need to park offsite at additional cost.

Amazing views from the top floor - room 1101
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Trinity Inlet View (2 Adults)

Very centrally located place to stay in Cairns. We stayed on the eleventh floor and had magnificent views from our room. We arrived early and were able to check in. Great reception staff. (Sharon thank you) very comfortable stay

considering we have stayed at numerous hotels in cairns we did not think the room was good value
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Trinity Inlet View (2 Adults)

room location. unsatisfactory harbour views, no sun on balcony all day. not notified before arrival about carparking requirements

hotel location was good

The hotel was clean, the room was spacious and the bed...
    • Standard King Room

The hallway lights didn’t seem to come on when you stepped out of your room at night, only when you came out of the lift, even when you pressed the switch for the light.

The hotel was clean, the room was spacious and the bed comfortable

Really good location, walking distance to main shops and...
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

Was disappointed that the king bed was actually two beds pushed together, was slightly uneven so there was a bump/crack in the middle of the bed. The shower head was very aggressive not very pleasant.

Really good location, walking distance to main shops and streets. Very spacious and staff were lovely.

Was ok overall but not worth the money. Was expecting something awesome
    • Standard King Room

The kitchen had nothing at all except for a kettle and some cups. Didn't like the bathroom door didn't close.

Had to ask for a toaster, bathroom door didn't close. Shower was a little cracked

Love the place
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

Everything, it was the perfect place to enjoy our 10 day stay in Cairns.

Views, apartment, location, service, friendliness, restaurants. Love the place

Police banging on my door & a smelly room. Shame, because the staff were super nice & accomodating.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The first room we were put in, rooms ending in 01 was an accessable room & it just felt like an odd room. Not cozy like a hotel room. We then moved to another room and it was smelly, like old sweat. We tried to get the smell out of the room with Ionizers etc but it was still there. On the first night Police were banging on my door at 530am because there had been a break in downstairs and someone has legged it up the balcony. There is no privacy/safety viewer holes in the doors & no latch, so I had to work out if I was going to open the door without being able to visually verify they were cops. The property was fully booked & the staff were lovely & super friendly but the circumstances of our stay would lead us to not stay here again.

Location is great for this Resort.

Very happy with our stay.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

Unfortunately the shower pressure was awful which is the only thing that would make me reconsider booking again.

Very happy with our stay. Very nice view even though we didn't specifically book a room with a view and the view from the pool was just amazing. Room was very clean and spacious.

The location was excellent.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

The lack of blockout curtains in the bedrooms made sleeping difficult due to the ambient light from the city and marina. It also made sleeping past sunrise impossible. The motel style coffee sachets were marginal, a pod machine would have been better.

The location was excellent. The room was clean and comfortable. Parking on site was very convenient. The view over the harbour was great. The restaurants were very good.

The view from your hotel may be the best i have ever seen anywhere.
    • Standard King Room

The girl working the front desk was really helpful, Her first name is Jo and she is from the Cook Islands. We arrived a day earlier than we were supposed to, and she was very gracious and took care of my wife and I. She gave us a lot of helpful information about where to eat, and some local places to go and see. If I owned a hotel, I would try and hire her away from you.!!!

Located on boardwalk/cafes, spacious comfortable apartm with genuine staff.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Trinity Inlet View (2 Adults)

Fabulous staff members, each super helpful and friendly. Also location is excellent if you want to be right on the marina with good choices of cafes and enjoy watching the harbour, mountains and weather - very relaxing!

Average this time.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

The room was in need of a touch up and looked tired and mediocre. I’ve stayed at this place many times over the last 10 years, sometimes up to 6 times in a year, and this is by far the worst the property has been and the worst room for both view and upkeep that I have ever had here. Disappointing.

Great location, comfy room!
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Trinity Inlet View (2 Adults)

Late entry to room was a bit frustrating

Friendly staff, spacious room, comfy bed, great view were all appreciated & late checkout was very useful!

Thanks so much Cairns Harbour Lights you made our stay for our wedding anniversary amazing.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Trinity Inlet View (2 Adults)

Absolutely was fantastic. Everything we asked for we received. And the receptionist was wonderful and polite. I will tell friends and family about this amazing place. Rooms were perfect view was perfect. My husband and I was so impressed. Our special occasion was made special.

I will not stay there again
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

I did not get my 4.20 am wake up call and would have missed my flight if I had depended on it. Also had to pay for parking which at all other properties in Vairns is free.

Nice location, gym needs an upgrade
    • Standard King Room

The gym is a disappointment. The equipment is dated (treadmill is rusting, other equipment appears to be from the early 1990s). Most notably, the gym is missing a rack of free weights and a weight bench.

Excellent location on the harbour. Attractive outdoor pool. Reception staff were friendly.

A quick stop over in cairns
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The room smelt and they haven't changed the aircon filters in so long that the air wasn't cold. If u took the filter out it was covered in thick dusk about 2 inch thick.

The bed was comfy. Staff were friendly. Location is good.

Excellent when you can get a park!
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Parking is difficult at this hotel as they do not have enough undercover parking and even when you can get a park 26 parks for 83 rooms? it still costs $12 per night?

Very happy with the spacious size of the 1 bedroom apartment.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

Air conditioning was very noisy, and being February it was necessary to have on.

Very happy with the spacious size of the 1 bedroom apartment. Great location above esplanade restaurants.

Apart from initial problems, the stay was great.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

Staff are you first impression of a property. Staff member was non responsive to basic communication. Room key did not work due to battery failure - they messed around for 30 minutes while we waited around.

It was pleasant
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Trinity Inlet View (2 Adults)

The shower leaked water from under the door. The positioning of the shower tap was in the way to be able to open the door the other way to put the floor mat down to catch the water. The view was a little less than i had in mind for a sea view.

I liked the room as it was a nicely furnished, loved the idea of 2 TV's.

Great views of the marina!
    • Standard King Room

Great stay with amazing views of the marina...it was our first stop in Australia and we were really pleased with our room! We were also greeted by really friendly staff! Thank you Cairns Harbour Lights!

Fantastic location, right on harbour and board walk. Easy walk to local attractions and supermarket.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

There really wasng anything we didnt like. The only little thing was the bathroom sliding door was a little hard to open, but no biggy.

The furnishings, size of room and balcony view. The checkin staff were awesome and arranged onsite parking for us as our vehicle height was too tall for the underground carpark. Awsome onsite restuarants.

Great location close to Marina for reef trips.

No complaints.

Great location close to Marina for reef trips. Lots of restaurants close by, but also close enough to walk to CBD. Also handy to the Casino and Zoom Dome. Spacious apartment with modern furniture and large balcony overlooking the water. Was great having daily housekeeping services, which we did not get with the Mantra apartments we stayed at.

Lovely accommodation - recommend !!!
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Trinity Inlet View (2 Adults)

We stayed one night at Harbour Lights in a one-bedroom apartment. We were very pleased with the friendly staff at check-in and check-out, room cleanliness and servicing - the bed was very comfy / the view from the apartment was lovely - would definitely recommend to others and will stay again in the future.

I really enjoyed my stay & it was my fourth time and all 4 times was for pleasure/holiday
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

The double bed was 2 single beds joined together and I didn't like that and the hall way lighting, most of the bulbs are burnt and was dark walking to my room at night.

Location & Comfort

• Standard King Room

Was not obvious if you could drink the tap water. Room on the small side, inc bathroom.

Location being on the harbour and close to everything. Pool and outside area well maintained.

Great stay at the Harbour Lights hotel.
    • Standard King Room

The only negative was that when we turned up an hour and a half after check in opened, our room was not quite ready. We only had to wait 5 minutes but I did wonder what would have happened if we had turned up on time!

Great stay at the Harbour Lights hotel. We received a complimentary upgrade to a one bed apartment that had a large balcony surrounding two sides of the living room and the bedroom too. Very comfortable, clean and spacious accommodation. The pool was an added bonus.

Comfortable bed, nice pool, well appointed room.
    • Standard King Room

Very noisy and temperamental air conditioner, broken TV in room, spa water was cold rather than warm, rooms are nice but rather small.

Comfortable bed, nice pool, well appointed room.

I visit Cairns every year as I find it relaxing being away from the rat race of a big city.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Trinity Inlet View (2 Adults)

The air conditioner seemed extremely loud . I had to turn it off at night as I couldn't sleep through the noise. apart form that everything was fine. I had to get use to a different bed but happens at most places.

Location to everything . Staff friendly and helpful . I was allowed to extend my checkout period an extra hour without being charged

Okay but wouldn’t go back.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

The apartment was dated. Minimum parking was offered. Our bathroom was not clean and we had no toilet paper on arrival.

The location is great and very central.

Terrible value for over $400 per night, Cairns has many better options.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Trinity Inlet View (2 Adults)

Poor welcome from reception, no available parking even though the site has underground parking, told to go get a trolley to collect bags and to move the car further along before getting the bags out.

Decor

Fantastic few days in great location with neat clean facilities and welcoming staff.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

I think parking should be included in price.

Great location. The room bigger than expected. Fantastic to have daily cleaning. The pool was clean with great views. Staff extremely welcoming as there many of us there for a family gathering staff were wonderful and interested in what we were all doing there making us feel special .

Wish we could stay longer
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Trinity Inlet View (2 Adults)

Excellent location well appointed room very comfy bed .. no noises can be heard from the hall way ... feiendly staff Well stocked mini bar fridge ... quality furnitures ✔️👍

It was ok, but could have stayed elsewhere for less.
    • Standard King Room

There is no soap on arrival and all the parking was reserved or private and there was no where to park, despite having access to the undercover private parking

It was pleasant, will stay again but might stay in 1 bedroom apartment
    • Standard King Room

I was disappointed with the room itself, no where to sit apart from the bed, everything looked tired and worn out. The bathroom was fine and looks as tho it’s been updated. The lighting at the tea/coffee facilities were poor and there was only 2 towels in the room.

The view was great, staff friendly and great location.

The shower broke in the evening and maintenance didn't...
    • Standard King Room

The shower broke in the evening and maintenance didn't start until after I left the next morning would have been nice to have a shower prior to leaving.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

Would stay there again and again and again...
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Trinity Inlet View (2 Adults)

The gym was very small and the aircon not turned on

Right at the waterfront, close to restaurants but still very quiet property. Big rooms, comfortable bed, everything you need provided.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

Perfect location to stay for daughters 21st. Plenty of room .
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Trinity Inlet View (2 Adults)

No there was nothing I didn’t like.

The location was fantastic, pool and room and staff really nice. It was good that Family was all on the one floor. View was ok. Good to have a washing machine in the room a surprise bonus.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Aircon made horrible internment loud humm/whir/thumping noise. moved to new room at 10pm first night. Thanks to helpful staff. 2nd room aircon made constant vibrating. Had to turn it off to sleep, got a bit warm.

just for relaxing.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

we had problems with the water from the shower leaking out all over bathroom floor, told the staff about it hope it been fixed.

good size apartment, good location, friendly staff.

Magnificent staff
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The people coming around in the morning to fill up the bar fridge. Told them we are not using it and my sons just had a operation, and did not like being woken up every day for the bar fridge

My son had a operation and we ended up staying to the 17th November The staff and everyone was so helpful

Ok but not great.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

No car parking available. Room location not great. Lower floor facing another building. Requested upper floor. Not worth additional cost over alternative accommodation.

• Standard King Room

Laundry facility does not cover all room types; Better if clotheshorse would be provided; The safe is small.

Great location - very close to ferry terminal & ranges of restaurants; Bedding is comfy; Swimming pool is good.

Weekend getaway

Nothing - we love The place

Super friendly and helpful staff. Close to everything including the casino and all the beautiful restaurants along the waterfront.

Expensive, but friendly and central location
    • Standard King Room

Too expensive, room was very small, and was not the room I had booked through booking.com $160 for a studio room, very disappointing

Staff were friendly, central location.

The night manager Sophia was exceptionally helpful and...
    • Standard King Room

The night manager Sophia was exceptionally helpful and friendly and even helped me with luggage as my Right arm was in a brace. The friendly staff, the cleanliness, the viw and the proximity to all the business I needed to do was just great. Next time hopefully it wont rain and I can try out the pool!

Location is perfect, we had the wharf/harbour view, the...
    • Standard King Room

the room door seems not sound proof enough, on our first day's stay, we kept hearing the door banning noise from adjacent rooms.

Location is perfect, we had the wharf/harbour view, the apartment is close to the city centre and lagoon, but away from the noise and crowd.

Not worth the money.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

You have to pay for parking and there is only a small amount of parks. The pool is so small. The value for money is not worth it.

The location was good.

Comfortable 2 nights to end our week in Tropical North Queensland.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

No matter how I moved shower head water leaked onto bathroom floor.

The view from room 1107 was 180 degrees. Water, city and mountain views. One bedroom apartment style with kitchen and laundry.

A nice spot to stay but did not meet expectations.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

Don't arrive early! We arrived at 1pm and hotel staff were rigid about 2pm check in time and we had to leave our suitcases behind reception and go out. View of the harbour was lovely but spoilt by an ugly roof space which could quite easily be made attractive as a rooftop garden. Apartment smelt musty with doors closed - Room 406.

The location, the view and the rooftop swimming pool :) Beautiful boardwalk, excellent bars and dining close by.

Location is perfect, only a 10 min walk to central plaza.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The designs of the bathrooms left something to be desired and even possible hazards. the entire bathroom, shower included are on an even level flat area with no barriers or steps to stop the water encasing the rest of the bathroom. What's more is the entire bathroom itself IS raised a step from the rest of the apartment so water is very easily tracked through the fully tiled floor rooms making a slip hazard a very real possibility.

Location is perfect, only a 10 min walk to central plaza. Stores and restaurants in the area are countless and the room service options are immense.

Disappointed.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

Rooms were old and dated, one room had somebody else’s clothing laying on the floor behind the sofa. Our second room didn’t get serviced until late in the afternoon as we were getting ready for dinner, the shower had mould and both rooms were smelt unfresh.

Location of the property.

Had a very enjoyable stay and loved the location. Would like to be on a higher level next time.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The fridge was too small for a 5 day stay especially for more than one person.

Good location on 5th floor. Very spacious and plenty of furniture for a family. Bed very comfortable and facilities adequate.

Good location, functional room, nice staff, no atmosphere.
    • Standard King Room

Very bland room- one piece of art on wall that looked like the glue that gets put on the back of a tile- brown squiggle that added nothing to the decor, and furniture also bland. Tiled floor noisy and not comfortable.

Good location to main area, lovely to walk along Harbour at night and Dundee's close for breakfast.

Other than the "not likes" everything else was o/k.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The view. The frying pan was disgusting. The Wi Fi was very slow. Unable to retain water in the bathroom basin. I asked reception if there was a room with a better view. They said they were absolutely full. My partners daughter books in much later and manages to get an upgrade because she was unhappy with her room. I was not offered an upgrade. Reason??

The king size bed was very comfortable. Room service was very good.

Loved the free wifi and location was excellent.
    • Standard King Room

Upon arrival, my credit card didn't go through for the full amount due to international limit. It did, however go off for the first night stay. The manager on duty, Sharon was rude & arrogant & told us that she cannot check us in until the full amount was paid. When I suggested that at least let us check in as the first night is paid & I will sort out the next 2 nights stay in the morning, she was reluctant & made us feel like cheap criminals. clearly she is not trained on how to treat customers or perhaps she is downright naturally rude. This was not a pleasant experience for us having just got to Cairns & to the hotel. kinda puts a damper right at the start.

Loved the free wifi and location was excellent.

• One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

Couldn't understand who the washing machine/dryer worked needed more info As it was the first time I had seen a combo

The size of each room were amazing nit crammed at all

I certainly would stay there again and would be pleased to recommend this property to others .
    • Standard King Room

I was placed quite away distance away from my 88 year old aunt that was not very helpful

I liked the staff & found it cost effective having stayed across the road for twice the cost but not twice the facilities.

Great location and staff, let down by poor maintenance
    • Standard King Room

Bed leg broken, bathroom lights intermittent and toilet flush impossibly stiff - all reported immediately but no action taken and only received an emailed copy of the logging of the job AFTER checkout!

GREAT reception staff - very helpful We were very lucky in getting a cheap "city view" room that still had views of the inlet and wharf

I have stayed at Cairns Harbour Lights several times before.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

I have stayed at Cairns Harbour Lights several times before. Very well appointed spacious apartments with beautiful views. Excellent facilities. Great location near the Esplanade & close to shops/ amenities. Courteous friendly staff.

Acceptable
    • Standard King Room

A change in booking dates was needed but Booking.com does not allow booking variations making life difficult and costing me a days accomodation fees. I would not use booking.com again.

Rubbish Hotel
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Didn't like anything about the whole experience. Ugly hotel, nothing much to offer for the money we paid. Rude, racist staff. Waste of good money.

Nothing. It was a waste of money. Definitely not going back there. The staff were terribly unhelpful.

The perfect place to stay.

All perfect.

Greeted with a smile and very helpful with questions, ie, where the rental car depot was. When in Cairns again, the only place to stay as far as we are concerned.

Great hotel. Awesome location.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The location was excellent. Minutes from the docks if you're going for a trip out to the islands. Fabulous restaurants on their boardwalk dining. Minutes walk to shops and night markets.

Great place to stay
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The outside area especially at the lifts was very cold and windy.

The location was fantastic, restaurants , shops, entertainment all within easy walking distance. We will and have recommended The Habour Lights to anyone who will listen.

Improvements could be made but we would stay again - in a different room; location and pool superb
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

There was a strange smell occasionally emanating from (possibly?!) the carpet; don't know whether this was due to new carpet smell or mustiness/humidity problem. The blinds were not black out yet we were right on park 'mega' lights shining into the apartment and the furniture left a bit to be desired in tiredness and not looking invitingly clean

The 'rooftop' pool was fabulous and the central location of the property superb and unbeatable

Loved my stay at Cairns Harbour Lights.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

The only suggestion is that the spa and pool water could have been a bit warmer considering we stayed during Winter.

Great location and modern apartment with great facilities esp shower. Staff were so helpful esp Ben at front desk in giving advice and helping with booking local tours. I loved the view from our balcony.

Location, and upgraded on return vist
    • Standard King Room

Had a long wait before we could check in. Our flight arrived early morning and we had to wait until 2pm to check in.

Location, and upgraded on return vist

Great hotel
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

I liked the hotel. Perfect place.

Excellent hotel, great location. Clean, modern, large spacious room. Reception are polite and always ready to help. Super recommend.

Beautiful and spacious apartment in a gorgeous location.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with King Bed (2 Adults)

The rooms were well appointed. The bed was very soft, large and blissfully comfortable. The view from our room was lovely, taking in the city and the inlet/ river. The staff were very friendly and really helpful. It was a great situation close to restaurants, the tour boats and the city. The boardwalk gave us lovely views and easy to get around.