Reviews of The Swanston Hotel Melbourne, Grand Mercure 4.5 stars

195 Swanston Street, 3000 Melbourne, Australia

#75 of 169 hotels in Melbourne

• King Studio

Old, outdated room and furniture. Rooms need a lick of paint. eg update the seating/couch. Tasteless coffee from the Nescafe machine. Breakfast juices tasted watered down.

Comfy bed, good spread for breakfast. Convenient location to ChinaTown and Melbourne Central shopping precinct.

• Standard Twin Room

The breakfast was mediocre, bacon hard, difficult to cut let alone eat, scrambled eggs not nice. We only ate there once.

The beds were very comfortable, the room facilities were old but worked well.

• Standard Twin Room

Room is very old and the carpet is out dated. The bed isn’t so comfortable. Other than that everything is good. Just wish that they change the flooring into tiles.

Great location!!!

Parking out of the hotel building is inconvenient. They gave us the connecting rooms but left the door-size sponge in the room - not pleasant. Bath wash, slippers were missing...

Location is near many eateries and shopping and attractions and tram.

• Standard Twin Room

Room was pretty old... there’s a old room smell.. needs improvement..like alot of improvements.. rang up customer service to get the safe to work since it ran away out of power , got me waited like so long i decided not to wait... and request from customer service got us waited for very long like askin for slippers / tooth brush and etc...

Location is superb

• Standard Twin Room

There was a little mould on the cieling near the bathroom. It was a bit noisy at night time.

Comfortable beds and great cleaning staff. Great central location. Very helpful staff.

Wasn’t anything I would say I didn’t really like . Overall a very pleasant stay

The bed was very comfy,location for venues excellent, restaurant was excellent we had a lovely meal. Staff were friendly & very helpful with directions, taxis etc.

• Standard Twin Room

The bath was very shallow and could have had a separate shower. Also mugs instead of tea cups for a decent cuppa.

The brekkie was great and the $40 P/h deal for dinner was fantastic. The room was a great size and very well furnished.

• Standard Queen Room

There was very little sound proofing between the rooms - I could hear every conversation the guests in the next room were having! Also the view from my room (on the 3rd floor) was overlooking an alleyway with a dumpster. Not ideal, but it didn't really worry me.

The location is fantastic, right in the heart of all the best shopping and restaurants - Chinatown is right on your doorstep! All the high end stores are within a few minutes walk, as well as the smaller quirkier shops in the arcades and laneways. My room was clean and spacious, equipped with microwave, toaster etc. The water pressure in the shower was a-mazing!! The staff were extremely professional and helpful. The concierge gave me a range of options to get to the airport and was really helpful.

• Standard Twin Room

They put me in a room next to a room that was being renovated - I had to ask to be moved because of the noise, the room they moved me to was smaller and grottier.

• Standard Twin Room

Pool was cold. Staff were rude. Room are very old and dated. Bath tub has rust in it. Asked for late check out 4 times and all said yes then came for check out and no one wrote anything down. They took payment from 2 credit cards. It was just a shambles for mothers day. I asked if they could make it special for us and it was the complete opp. Never again.

• Standard Queen Room

Our room was smelly, carpets were stained, bathroom felt dirty. Was very unhappy. Your advertisement is false. The room we were given was old and looked nothing like you suggested.

The bar

• Standard Twin Room

Dirty glasses/bottles left in room in between cleans, even after us calling housekeeping for clean glasses. Pillows are terrible. Shower pressure nearly non existent

Location is ideal. Staff at reception and concierge lovely. Beds comfortable.

• Standard Twin Room

2 enterances which was confusing as only told later 2 separate hotels yet our key worked in the elevator but there was no 13th floor from that access point? No signage to direct people to other section.

• King Suite

The floor in the restaurant was sticky and dirty and needed mopping and the food was average for $25 per person we should’ve gone out

Location was great

• Standard Twin Room

The pool looked a lot more impressive on the website comparing to its reality. It was still okay though. But it was quite a bit smaller than we expected.

Loved everything. We had twin queen size beds for my son and I, and I loved the whole room. We stayed at the Little Bourke entrance prior to this and the difference is day and night. I wish I’d known about the difference; I would have booked this side for sure. The staff is amazing.

• Standard Queen Room

Staying on the 4th floor the noise from upper floor upgrading was a little intrusive especially during the day. Some night street noise and singing kept me awake when trying to sleep. All quiet by midnight.

The room was quite good with a view over Swanston St and very close to Myer, Chinatown and David Jones. The gym, pool and breakfast were all very good. Staff and the Cocoon Bar were excellent.

• Standard Twin Room

That they took the full amount of my stay the day before I got there. So it’s total B.S if they state pay when you stay. Or book now pay later! Like it would be understandable they take the first nights stay, to secure your room. But not the whole amount!

I like that it was close to all the facilities and shopping.

• Standard Twin Room

The pool was a bit cool, had to get out as the kids were cold. Was told parking would be $12, but was $24....

Breakfast was great and room was comfortable.

• Standard Twin Room

If the breakfast have more choices.

Everything was excellent, the location, the restaurant & food, the staff, the room all perfect!! We definitely will stay here if we visit Melbourne again in future.

• Standard Twin Room

Noisy room. Could hear the people arguing quite loud all night. Paid for a twin room but only one breakfast was provided Had to pay for my friend.

Great staff especially Mark the waiter for breakfast. Went overand beyond.

• Standard King Room

I just thought rooms were a bit dated. Not cleaned as well as i noticed dust o skirting. But i overlooked this as the room size was perfect, and it was decent enough to feel comfortable in.

I loved the service. Nick the concierge was so helpful by helping me carry my bags and even offering my daughter a little color in activity. In terms of advice on where to eat we also had good information from him. I also loved the location right at the heart of the cbd. It was such easy access. I loved the temperature of the indoor pool as well.

• Standard Twin Room

The entrance to the motel was a bit confusing, not just for us but a number of other guests we saw trying to access the reception and restaurant. There were two different elevator locations taking you to very different areas when trying to get to breakfast! Ended up in the fire escape.

Room was comfortable and the location was great for shopping, dining and theatres. Taxi rank at the door.

• Standard Twin Room

Friendly and compassionate staff became quite ill on my stay and the staff were very nice and understanding helped lessen my embarrassment so thank you 😊

• Standard Twin Room

Carpets in bedroom need a good steam clean. They are pretty filthy. Pool was nice but starting to look a little bit run down..

Great location, very friendly staff, taxi acces great.

• Standard Twin Room

I prefer a walk in shower. Find the shower over the bath difficult as I have bad hips.apart from the

Great friendly staff. Nothing too much trouble. Location is everything. I will always stay there when in Melbourne.

• Standard Queen Room

Comfy bed, lovely smell in foyer to our room. Location was fantastic. Couldnt get any more central to Melbourne than this. I have already recommended the hotel to someone . Only thing is level 2 did not have a view of much at all but a wall. But we were out and about most of the time.

I had two leave. If l win lottery I stay there for Ever 🙂

The rooms are very comfortable and it is a short walk to everything you won’t and a short walk to Train station. It has a excellent bar where you can site and have a drink or two and a meal.

• Standard Twin Room

This room had a noise all night which made it very hard to sleep. Rattling pipes I think. Spoilt the whole thing really. Expensive tho not worth over $250.

Excellent location. Generally room was very good but ...

• Standard Twin Room

Our bathroom had grime around the taps on arrival. Cleaned myself. In house Dining did not offer much of a snack range or dessert.

Good location. Secure.

• Standard Queen Room

The bathroom could do with a bit of renovation. The walls of the bedroom also had suspicious spots on various places. Some had been ‘cleaned’ but marks showed, especially when the sun was shining through the room...

The location of the hotel

• Standard Queen Room

Beds need replacing. Bathroom update to a walk in shower would be great as shower over bath is a little dangerous as we get older.

Great staff that were very helpful and polite.

• Standard Queen Room

the room was clean and comfortable and the location was great... easy walk to the tram and any popular attraction in Melbourne. The concierge was super helpful as well as the front desk. I also enjoyed the free breakfast included in my room.

• Standard King Room

Stayed in a noisy room!! Could hear music until 1am everynight from a roof top bar we could see from our room. Could not hear any noisy from the street

Perfect location to hop on a tram

see above

THE ROOM & HOTEL IS RATHER TIRED & EXPENSIVE FOR ABOUT A MAX.3.5 STANDARD.STAFF WERE GOOD.BECAUSE NEEDED TO USE METRO TRAINS,IT WAS CLOSEST TO FLINDERS ST. STATION,AS OTHER SUITABLE HOTELS WERE NOT AVAILABLE CLOSE TO SOUTHERN CROSS WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN PREFERRED.

• Standard Queen Room

Wanted to go the green option ie no servicing as it was just me staying, and I was unable to get in touch with the required people by phone despite making multiple phone calls. In the end I just had to put a do not disturb sign on the door which I left there for the entire duration of my stay. The bed was a little lumpy and pillows were also lumpy. The soap dish holder in the shower was in a bad position and I would hit my brow multiple times each shower

Staff were that I encountered were very friendly

• Standard Twin Room

Room 606 had an awful outlook, it was dark, dinghy and very dated. The bathroom was from the 1980’s and not very clean. There was no on site parking.

Not much

• Standard King Room

Room service was terrible! 2 hours for a stale salad and a pizza that had been microwaved that much you couldn’t get it off the plate! Both were un edible.

• Standard Queen Room

The room did not look at all like the photos. I don’t think it was worth the price. The room was old and needs updating. The bathroom was dirty, there were marks on the walls, water damage on the roof and mould in the shower. The bath was peeling and the ‘heated’ pool was freezing. The room itself was good enough but not at all how it was described on the website.

The location was great. The toiletry products provided were great quality. We were able to check in as soon as we arrived at 11am.

• Standard Queen Room

Bathroom needed an upgrade.

Excellent location, central and walking distance to most places. Neat and tidy rooms. Great downstairs bar and good value breakfast as additional extra. Clean pool and facilities. Will be staying again!

• Standard Twin Room

The pool was small. There was no kitchenette in the room

Good service. I really liked the conservation cost option where you could opt to not get the room serviced every day in exchange for a credit.

• Standard King Room

To Noisey could hear the trams going past, people yelling on the streets and the buskers singing till late at night. The bed even with a pillow top on it was still hard.

The location was great, right in the centre close to trams anything you needed.

• Standard Queen Room

Outside noise on the streets which was very loud until around 2.00am however this may have been a once of situation ...Sometimes this can not be avoided...Would still recommend the Hotel overall .

Friendly and efficient staff , good breakfast and good service great location well priced, very handy to all shopping facilities and public transport and the Victorian Markets also the Theater great atmosphere.

• Standard Twin Room

Our room was exceptionally noisy- I expect noise and trust me I can sleep through anything however there were people yelling at night and early morning, doors banging frequently and the fridge in the room constantly buzzed all night to the point on annoyance. Our keys locked us out and we have to go back down to reception to reactivate. Just annoying little things that put a dampener on a nice weekend.

Express checkout.

• Standard Queen Room

We ate awful eye fillet steak at the Louden, the cut was dreadful, they discounted this really disappointing. The waiter was nice but personal hygiene could have been much better.

• Standard Twin Room

The booking was incorrect. It did not contain the second breakfast and ordered a twin roon. As well i was charged for items i did not have after i checked out on my credit card.

The Pool and Cocoon Bar

• Standard Queen Room

Great value for money, nice buffet breakfast , very nice staff in the dining area, Will be going back again real soon. Great location, parking isn't perfect, but it's only a couple blocks away.

• Standard Queen Room

When you turn the shower on there is a high pitched sound within the pipes. Bath needs some work, looks very dated. Took up to 10 mins to check in. Bag room attendant wasn't friendly at all...

Location was great, staff where helpful and friendly. Room was made up well and extremely fast. Check out was also really quick. Bag room was free of charge.

• Standard Twin Room

The price of parking and not actually being advised of the cost of this beforehand was disappointing, and then being charged on your credit card without being told is pretty rude ! $45 a night is a bit rich !!

Location is excellent ! Rooms need a bit of TLC.

Nothing, really.

The rooms were bigger than expected and the location was great. It made our holiday plans much easier and convenient. Will surely stay there on all my Melbourne trips.

• Standard Queen Room

the bathroom drainage block, shower hose broke, at then end I have to change the room in half way of my shower. and the staff only show very little care on the matter. and I have to carry all my belongs to reception and redo the check-in process. the new room bathroom is old and dirty. the pool is only 8mx5m(max), enrty door is broken and no shower facilities in pool area.

location is perfect for city browser or working.

• King Studio

The shower was sad. The shower head was the size of child's head, water pressure was non-existent, water temperature was either boiling hot or freezing cold. The staff was nice when they chose to do their job. With a hotel that said they have 24-7 room service, they conviniently had no one manning the phones.

Very conveinient location. Central, close to restaurants and shops

• Standard Twin Room

The facilities are showing quite a bit of wear and tear; carpet stained, curtains poor condition, overall cleanliness not very good. Air conditioner keeps cutting in and out, which is quite noisy and interrupts sleep. I don't think it warrants a 4.5 star rating.

• Standard Queen Room

Everything at this hotel is dated. Want wifi in your room? You need to sign a complicated membership. Want coffee? Follow the pack in the morning and you can stuff your stomach with a large buffet, but a Nescafé machine is all you get. You can get more for your money if you chose a smaller hotel with a more personal and modern feel. This one is central, but it offers no quality for your stay.

Location is perfect, you could not be more central. Rooms are big. Unfortunately, that's about it.

• Standard Twin Room

Breakfast had no pastries or yoghurt selection. On arrival at 10.30pm staff didn't not explain anything like where the breakfast was or restaurant just took my details gave us a key and that was it. Friendliness lack a lot. Airconditioner kept going on for a few seconds then go off then go on and didn't matters what temperature or fan speed you changed it too.

Bed was comfortable except for the big hole behind bed when it moved slightly.

• Standard Queen Room

Really Couldn't fault it. If you were being picky you'd say it needs block out curtains. The view is the back of other buildings and laneways. Bathrooms could do with a refresh.

No wait to check in easy to find great location. Clean. Convenient and staff helpful

• Standard Twin Room

Perfect location, my friends & I can roam around the city & go back to the hotel anytime we want as it is so close to everything.. cafes, restaurants, bars, shops, transport!! I stay at the Mercure frequently whenever I am im Melbourne:)

• Standard Queen Room

At checkout there was a big line waiting (11am) so had to wait a little while. Room & lobby were tired looking and in need of a refurb, however it was very clean

Location was excellent, the room was very clean, staff were all friendly and the bed was comfortable

• Standard Queen Room

The shower over the bath could be difficult to get in for some and the bath area had the onset of mould.

The location is perfect for those wanting central access to trams, theatres, shopping.

• Standard King Room

The room was a bit outdated and shabby. Location was very noisy with no soundproofing or blockout blinds. Just wasn’t quite what I expected for this hotel.

Bed was great. Room was a decent siz. Overall it was quite comfortable in a good location.

• Standard Queen Room

I find the service at the reception very slow.Only 1 staff behind the counter at one time.This issue should be investigated and fixed.

location was great and the hotel was exellent, The staff was friendly.

• Standard Queen Room

The pool could be updates and the view wasn’t great from the bedroom/loungeroom.

Smooth check in with friendly and welcoming staff. Given a free upgrade from standard queen to king executive and was pleasantly surprised with new room. Huge lounge with seperate bedroom. Bathroom was large and very clean with free toiletries.

• Standard King Room

The mattress topper made for a pretty hot sleep The air-conditioning fan, even on low, was pretty noisy.

Excellent location and very helpful staff. Tram stop straight outside the door which has most main lines. Endless selection of cheap and not so cheap restaurants and cafes that are fantastic! I'd stay here again.

• Standard Twin Room

Service was soooooo slowwwwww, every time we asked for something to be brought to the room e.g. a pillow (never received it), 2 teacups (took 20 mins), bucket of ice (felt like 30 mins).

The location - right next door to David Jones & Myer and therefore a 1 minute walk through to Bourke Street mall, also right opposite the Emporium for more amazing shops and also the Strand and very near H&M. For shopping- big tick! For eating...tick again...Din Tai Fung is across the lane and Chinatown 30 seconds away, not to mention all the laneways like the Causeway and Block Arcade being 2 mins walk.

• King Studio

Asked for a high floor room when booking months before and got given 2nd floor did not listen to request. Air conditioner stopped working first night. Staff were helpful though and moved us to another room within half an hour which was good after a long day.

Great service for breakfast friendly service and good selection.

• Standard Twin Room

Food delivered to room was poor quality and overpriced Bathroom suite was very dated Reception area was tacky

Location Size of room Two queen beds

• Standard King Room

Breakfast was very, very ordinary. Although we had paid for breakfast, after the first morning, we opted to go out for better fare.

Very good location. Easy to get to from Flinders Station and easy to get to Skybus Terminal on the free tram network.

• Standard Twin Room

The bathroom could do with an update, Free standing showers are more up to date than a shower over the bath which also looked like it needed re coating. The fridge or surrounding carpet? was a little smelly

Breakfast was basic it could be improved with more selection

• Standard Queen Room

1st our bed was missing 1 castor wheel and the second one was bent, so as soon as you laid on bed it would tilt to one side and then the iron when filled with water had a crack in it and water all over shirt.

Breakfast was good for the $20 charged

• Standard King Room

Great location, fantastic facilities. Received a complimentary upgrade to a suite which was very nice. The buffet breakfast at the adjoining Mercure Welcome is fantastic value for money and very tasty!

• Standard Twin Room

Convenience to everything, friendly staff and nice rooms. Stay with a girlfriend and the rooms are a good size and the beds very comfy. Can eat in or out which we love.

• Standard Twin Room

only 1 bedside table and 1 lamp (for 2 beds in room). inadequate shelves/drawers for clothes, only 1 chair for table/desk. Could have been much cleaner -a long black hair was on one of the towels. Shelf in bathroom too small to be of use .Toilet did not flush properly (in spite of flushing many times faeces stayed visible)

Position was good

• Standard Twin Room

Water out of hot tap in shower very hot. Needs warning about,maybe a thermostat to limit temperature.

Central location. Good pool for relaxing. Comfortable beds.

• Standard Twin Room

The floor of the room was dirty and the toilet was not working properly- took a long time to refill and was conctantly noisy

Bed was comfortable and clean Reception staff and concierge were friendly and helpful

• Standard Twin Room

i don't like the carpet , it's looks really old

Location is Great , easy to access and going anywhere. Staffs all good & very accomodating