Reviews of Mercure Welcome Melbourne 3.5 stars

265 Little Bourke Street, 3000 Melbourne, Australia

#94 of 169 hotels in Melbourne

• Standard Queen Room

Didn't make sense having Jug on bench with no power point to plug it into & where the power point was there was no bench/table to put the jug on to boil?

Great location, Breakfast included delicious

• Standard Queen Room

I wasnt totally happy with the front desk person who took my booking She was quite abrupt and felt like she was in a hurry to put me thru and didnt have anyone else behind me

The frendliness of the cleaning staff and the kitchen staff bar staff I

• Standard King Room

The breakfast was abundant but I found the quality was only 'Okay'.

Great helpful Staff. Rooms are comfortable, clean and well presented. Location is perfect for city access. Valet parking is a huge bonus for anyone driving in from interstate or regional Victoria. Will happily stay again.

• Standard Queen Room

The pillows were a bit flat

Room was nice, but small, room facilities were good. Location of the hotel was excellent and the staff were very friendly professional and helpful;

• Standard Queen Room

Room to to to to small, not even like a budget room No parking at the hotel. Around 10 minutes walk and parking very busy not easy to find spot there. No easy pick up or drop off. Traffic around the place is horrible. Very noisy place, noice coming from the others rooms. The toilet flushing will wake u up. You can hear people talking all night. Even the shower u hear what the others doing in the shower. No privacy. It's just horrible place. Not worth the money. The management know about that. They reply ( we know the problem but nothing can do about it).

• Standard Queen Room

Close to everything . Room functional and bed plus pillows was good. The only thing that was amiss being meat at restaurant. I've never had a tough medium rare sirloin(porterhouse) at a restaurant before also pork was dry and tough. The other part of meals were great. Oh one of the deserts was to die for .

• Standard Twin Room

when after hours with the front door, we searched everywhere for ages to get back in. if you have an entrance for after hours which we found you did, maybe move the dumpster or put notes up along the alleyway as there were a lot of us looking to get back in.

The staff were the friendliest i have ever come accross.

• Standard Queen Room

We have stayed here many times and been happy to return, this stay found us in a room with a noisy heating vent. Would have asked to be moved if we had been staying longer than just 1 night. Will still return next time

Location is wonderful, staff friendly & room very comfortable

• Standard King Room

Hotel best described as 'tired'. Could do with a freshen up. Room was small, ok for locals on a weekender maybe, but we were on a round Australia trip, large cases and hand luggage which took up the desk, chairs, all available surfaces, leaving us little room.

location good, hearty breakfast, though not included in price.

• Standard King Room

Location was fantastic. Close to everything. Room was spacious and very clean, including bathroom. Bed was ok. Staff were polite and very helpful including the lovely housemaids. For the price and location you really cannot go past this hotel. Would recommend and stay again.

• Superior Twin Room

Bedroom/bathroom very small for 2 people, not very attractive decor and furnishings. Cleaning & upkeep overlooked on 1st day, perhaps accidental, but excellent afterwards.

Loudo Restaurant was pleasant, food OK, staff most helpful.

• Premium Queen Room

We were told we had a recently refurbished room ....such a shame that the carpet already had bad stains in the centre of the room. Also the shower base join area needed a good clean/scrub.

• Standard Queen Room

Not sure if our sheets were changed.. as I could see some of my hairs in the bed! The room was a little small but for the price not too bad.

This hotel is in such a great location my partner and I walked absolutely every where. The heater worked wonderfully and kept as warm in the Melbourne cold.

Can't think of anything

So conveniently located, matridee in restaurant last Thursday night was so friendly. I felt very comfortable in the whole hotel

• Superior Twin Room

The beds, the first one you could feel EVERY spring but they very happily moved us and did ask me to check the bed first which I did. I thought it would be okay but in truth the mattress was unbelievably hard and even my 10 year old said the same

The location and the service of the staff, so friendly and willing to help all of them from the valet, concierge to the check in desk. No wait times to talk to someone that part was excellent

• Standard King Room

Room was horrible... we specifically requested a room away from the lifts, our room backed onto the lift so all we heard was (what sounded like) a clunky train going up and down all night and all morning. The bed was so hard, and the pillows were way below standard we both hardly got any sleep, the drain pipe from the levels above us was in our room, so from 5am we had a noisy water feature to add to the disturbance.

Location fabulous, staff fabulous, shopping amazing - right on the doorstep - close to trains and trams.

• Standard Queen Room

Unfortunately we were in a room next door to the lifts so had the noise from the use of them all night.

The closeness to lots of facilities in the CBD. We could walk to everything we wanted to see and do on the 3 days we were in the city.

• Standard Queen Room

I did not like the size of our room, I felt like I was on top of everything. I also didn't like the homeless people that stayed directly outside the hotel, I could't understand why they wasn't moved on as it really doesn't look good for the hotel. No matter what time I came or left they were there, it made me feel a little uncomfortable.

The staff were very helpful and friendly

• Superior King Room

Shower was VERY narrow would not want to be a big person bathroom is only an ensuite no bench fir toiletries was expecting a better standard room for a superior king and upgrade to a privilege king rooms are the same extra was only a coffee machine

Location and close to shops and transport this is what you pay for

• Standard Queen Room

First night was in a room next to the lift well. Sleep was disturbed all night with the noise of the lift. We requested another room and were moved without any trouble. Second room was fine.

Great central location. Parking nearby was no problem. Staff were very helpful and met our needs without question. Rooms were small but adequate and very clean.

• Standard Queen Room

The bed was very comfortable, small but stylish bathroom. Very compact room that had everything you need for a short stay. Great value for money in centre of town.

• Standard Twin Room

Could do we a re paint in the hallways they look run down

Overall excellent location, friendly staff , room was clean comfortable and great value for money . Would stay here again on my next trip to Melbourne

• Standard Queen Room

Outside the front door, too many homeless peoples sleeping n can be quite scary for the customer if i am walking by myself.

Best location and bed is comfortable.

• Standard Queen Room

The bathroom to small, but still does the function

I can't ask for more, we were very happy with the facilities, we would go again if we have to go again

keep up the good work

the staff were excellent friendly and helpfull place was clean and beds wree comfortable and the location was perfect close to shops restaurants and everything else will go back for sure

• Standard King Room

My only issues was the hotels guest car park was a whole block away, but an easy walk and the shower cubicle was obviously designed for anorexic people, a little squishy for a fuller figured man like myself. 🤣

Conveniently located within walking distance to wherever we wanted to go, right next to Chinatown and lots of shops and public transport if ya dont want to drive. The staff at reception are very welcoming and helpful.

• Standard Queen Room

Reception didn't answer phone and weren't friendly.

Excellent location! Renovation occurred during the stay, but we moved to a different floor and were no longer bothered.

• Standard Queen Room

great shower pressure and very helpful and friendly staff,location good for shopping and local restaurants.easy to get public transport to my appointments without driving around Melbourne and trying to find a park.

• Standard Queen Room

Small room, narrow corridor, window open to a blank white wall - but expected.

Location location location! Emporium and Din Tai Fun just across the road. Excellent for my elderly parents. They could access China Town without worrying about public transport

• Standard Queen Room

TV was too small and sub titles were annoying cannot switch off. pillows too soft and no support

The Location was great, The pillows a bit too soft and no support. Television had sub titles we could not remove so had to watch the whole Royal Wedding with basically half the screen. TV was way too small for the room.

• Standard Queen Room

No morning smile when greeted at Breakfast Buffet. Just 'Yep, whats your room number' The internet didn't work on my smart phone.

The bright modern airy feel about it all.

• Superior King Room

The king size bed had one half that was flat & comfortable the other half had a dip in it, there was a ridge in the middle of the bed where the two mattresses joined. This did not make for a comfortable nights sleep. The airconditioning unit was either too hot or too cold, couldn't get an even tempterature in the room, very frustrating.

Location to the centre of Melbourne was great.

• Standard King Room

Hung up on Small boring looking room No quirks Tiny tiny bathroom Hair ball on cabinet

Upgraded the room free of charge but the free of charge room wasn’t that nice either

• Standard Twin Room

A comfy chair would have been great, as the only chair in the room was a hard, uncomfortable plastic one.

Staff were friendly and helpful. The room was very clean.

• Standard Queen Room

I was given a room that was very small and the lift could be heard in the room which would have made it very difficult to sleep.

Location Staff assistance to resolve a problem

• Standard Queen Room

The room was tiny and very little space to put things away. Most annoying was the location of the plug points, nothing next to the bed for mobile phones. Plug for kettle and hairdryer in the middle of the wall! Cables hardly reach.

Lovely shower, comfy bed. Very central location.

• Standard Queen Room

The staff were so welcoming, they made it extra special for my 8 yo son's first stay in Melbourne, we have already booked again to stay with my daughter in July. We loved being in the top floor, it is the first time I have ever had that experience. I loved the view in the restaurant as well.

• Superior Room 1 King and 1 Single Bed

The staff were not helpful when coming to issues with stuff ups from their end

The hotel was close to everything, trams, shops, and places to eat without having to walk miles

• Standard Twin Room

Our first room was right next to the elevator shaft and the noise of the elevator going up and down was driving us crazy. When we mentioned this to staff they were great and went out of their way to move us to a new quieter room, so we have no complaints about the staff, but why did they give us the first room if they had better? Would we have got a better room if we hadn't booked online?

We loved the central location of this hotel.

• Superior King Room

Noisy room: Staff making noise outside the room waking us up before 8 am. Fridge is noisy, so we switched that off. For the room size (king) the bathroom is rather on the small side.

USB charging sockets in the room.

• Standard Twin Room

Noisy fridge going on and off and noisy aircon unit. Also our room was opposite the elevator so even though it wasn’t super loud, it was still a constant background noise.

Cleanliness. Bed was comfortable. Great shower pressure.

• Standard Queen Room

Unfortunately we were woken around midnight by a very rude Guest trying to get into his room. Very abusive language followed by trying to kick his door in ! Was located around room 825. I lodged a complaint at the Hotel.

Breakfast and kitchen staff were extreme helpful with my wife's GF requirements! many thanks!

• Standard Queen Room

Room was extremely dated, bed was terrible, mattress was ancient, room hadn't been hoovered and the room was right next to the elevator shafts so the whole night it sounded like an elephant was running up and down the hallway. Fridge was on, but empty, not even a bottle of water. Shower was weak, hot water lasted 30 seconds then went cold, then scalding hot and back to freezing. Breakfast was far from the "good" they offered. A decent coffee was an extra charge. A fresh juice was an extra charge. Hot breakfast was catering to every ethnicity and yet fails to find a basic level for Australian guests.

• Standard Twin Room

Did not like that my keycard was deactivated each time I put it in my handbag. Then I had to go to reception each time to read activate to enter room. Gave up and didn't bother

• Standard Queen Room

Corridors small, showing it's age. Don't like pokies onsite either.

Good location. Don't overpromote- the standard corresponds with their advertising. Staff and valets all friendly and helpful. Not overpriced for the standard.

• Standard Queen Room

Pillows hard, better mattress, cramped room and cramped bathroom, brick wall right up against window, so you couldn't tell if it was day or night, our shower wasn't working first day we were there!!

• Standard Queen Room

The staff really friendly, helpful and provide good service. We have issued when check in to the room and realize air condition problem, after we complained, your staff immediately apologize on behalf and change a better room for us. Good stay and sleep for 3 nights.

• Standard King Room

Staff were very kind and cooperative, really loved the location, the room was bit small, the corridor leading to room was smelly in the morning (bad smell), at night it was smelling like cigarettes.

• Standard Queen Room

We had to park several blocks away at the Q.V. Centre because of height restrictions. Our parking cost $57, which ruined it for us!

Great location. Had everything we needed ... Apart from parking facilities.

• Standard Queen Room

Lovely friendly and helpful staff. Food in dining room is very nice. Great that you can leave your luggage after you have booked out so you can do a bit of shopping etc

• Standard King Room

Room was quite spacious, bed very comfortable. Great choice if food at breakfast, staff very attentive and friendly. Front desk staff very friendly and baggage attendant very curtious.

• Standard Queen Room

Heard every noise and peoples conversations in the corridor, heard every door opening and closing, and the water pipes were very noisy we could hear every flush at night while trying to sleep. Is it normal policy to make up the bed with an uncovered doona between 2 sheets?

Located near shops and restaurants.

• Standard Queen Room

Bedroom was smaller than expected, modernised bathroom but small. Dated stippled ceiling with external pipe running across it. Could hear running water and people speaking from nearby rooms. View was of a concrete wall so no need to close the curtains!

All staff were very pleasant, friendly and helpful. Very central location. Good shower.

• Standard Twin Room

The room was small, no microwave

The hotel was close to shopping and restaurants and the market. The room was clean and tidy. Shower was excellent and the beds very comfortable

• Standard Twin Room

I couldn’t sleep well because of poor soundproof. I had to hear the sounds of toilet flushing, door shuts of other rooms.

great location. easy access to shops and restaurants

• Standard King Room

Kettle wasn’t clean had to make too many requests for replacement.....which was disappointing..

Porters friendly and helpful ...staff overall a pleasure to deal with ....thank you

• Standard Queen Room

I found the shower was very narrow

The room was very clean & the bed was comfortable. The water pressure in the showerhead was good. The location was Excellent! All in all a good experience.

• Standard Queen Room

There was a minor issue with the tv in my room, and instead of just fixing it, the staff moved me to a whole new room that was bigger - AMAZING service and much more than expected!!!

• Standard Queen Room

Didnt eat the breakfast. Room was pokey. Despite my entering into your website that there were 2 of us travelling, you booked us in for one breakfast only, which caused distress to us upon arrival at the hotel. Consequently, we did not go near the breakfast room. Why would two people travelling and wanting three nights accommodation want only one breakfast? They wanted us to pay another $25.00 for each night for my husband. We wont be back and will give second thoughts to using booking.com again

• Standard Queen Room

The wi-fi wasn't free. I think this should be included as part of the room rate because it just about every other location I have stayed in over the past 2 years the wi-fi has been included at no additional cost

• Standard Twin Room

Some staff are friendly but some not. The beds are too soft caused backache to me.

Good location, easy access to shops & restaurants and transportation around the city The breakfast has sufficient variety.

• Standard Queen Room

Pillows, bed, staff not Clearly explaining all the pending payments now I have a total of $450 pending to come back into my account and $450 already taken out of my account also

Shower

• Standard Queen Room

Breakfast was the average affair provided in hotels nowadays and was expensive at $25. Previously, had only paid $16 for identical breakfast offerings in a hotel.

Friendly, helpful staff. Room and bathroom were of a reasonable size and room was comfortable. Great location in the centre of Melbourne within the free Tram zone and less than one block away from China Town.

• Standard Queen Room

It was the most terrible hotel I’ve ever stayed in. I was shocked at how bad it was. It felt like a dodgy motel.. I knew it wasn’t going to be flash but being 4 stars and from the photos I thought it was going to be ok, I wouldn’t even give this hotel 2 stars. It didn’t look the same as the photos. When I entered I was shocked from how outdated and poorly designed the lobby was, when we went up to the room the door hit the bed when we entered the room (that’s how small the room was). All night I could hear the doors of the people next to us sliding and the toilet flushing and the pillows were lumpy... it destroyed my vibe of being in Melbourne and i was extremely disappointed. The first night I didn’t sleep at all because it was so uncomfortable... it was so bad I was thinking of booking another hotel. For the price you can find a better hotel... (I’m not the type of person to complain as well)

The staff were friendly...

• Superior King Room

Staff where friendly, very helpful , would definitely stay there again. Close to China town , restaurants, shopping, public transport. Great central location.

• Standard Queen Room

Room was very small and claustrophobic Bathroom was very small No place to put luggage. We had to place it on dressing table and on ironing board.

Room was ready upon arrival in the morning

• Standard Queen Room

Room was dark. Limited and expensive dinner menu. Only bar seemed to be in the gaming area.

Room was good but dark. Room facilities good. Breakfast buffet very good. Dinner menu somewhat limited and expensive. The only bar I found was in the gaming area - not good.

• Standard Queen Room

Felt a bit small but for the price , I suppose that’s to be expected . Had trouble with the key Card getting back into the room . Tried about four times at least before reception resetted it .

Location amazing . Everything was fine . Parking was fair price . Good to have car on a secure location

• Superior King Room

Room was a bit clostaphobic and not really suitable for 3 adults with the toilet in the bathroom, toijet should separate if more than 1 person is sharing the room which is embarrassing.

The location is very good and convenient to many cafes, shops and transport.

• Superior Room 1 King and 1 Single Bed

Smaller bathroom basin to give you more room to put your toiletries. Bacon at breakfast was either overcooked or not cooked enough.

The king sized bed was fantastic. Location is great.

• Standard Queen Room

While the room was clean, the rest of the hotel was not. Carpets in the elevators and hallways needed vacuuming, while plates/bowls from room service were left on the floor by elevators for some time.

The staff were friendly and helpful and the room and bed was very comfortable

• Standard Twin Room

The Staff are so friendly and nothing is a problem. Very clean and excellent room prices. Excellent location. When going to Melbourne I always stay here.

• Superior Room 1 King and 1 Single Bed

Bathroom for 3 people was way too small,no counter space for any toiletries & shower was too tight,hitting arm constantly on soap holder. Our parking was also quite a walk with suitcases & difficult to manoeuvre with luggage.

Bed was very comfy & location was perfect & central but also very quiet!

• Standard Queen Room

There was nothing that we disliked.

The room was very comfortable and clean. Staff of the hotel was very helpful all the time. Great location. Breakfast was good on all days. Suggest a variety. We ordered dinner one day and that was excellent.

• Standard Room

No Iron in my room ! No safety box in my room ! I booked a king size room but after check-in my room was 2 single bed ( We were on honeymoon and after discussion they changed our room ), Management was terrible, As we waited about 90 minutes to check for room type and changing to queen room Breakfast was really bad ! No cheese in breakfast and also fruit was not fresh No Mini bar ( refrigerator was empty ) No mineral water as a complimentary service They dont change blankets in House keeping service, They just clean the room :) Strongly not recommended !

Friendly staff