Reviews of Sofitel Sydney Wentworth 5 stars

61-101 Phillip Street, Sydney CBD, 2000 Sydney, Australia

#95 of 306 hotels in Sydney

• Classic King Room

The heating was too hot and from what we could see uncontrollable. The double door to the bathroom was an annoyance and the tv was of a pretty average quality.

The location and bed

• Classic King Room

Room was extremely small with a micro-window and a yard view which is not really nice for the hotel of such a level Wifi is for the additional cost which is not acceptable for the proper hotels to my mind

Location and breakfast are great

• Classic King Room

The hotel receptionist was very friendly and hospitable. The hotel is so close to Circular Quay and all the restaurants. The room is large and clean. I've stayed so many times there and always will because of the location and friendliness of the staff.

• Classic King Room

We booked a classic king room. The room was a studio. Tiny! You couldnt swing a cat in this room. There were 2 x single size beds....not king singles but single size. The beds were so bad they put a doona underneath the bottom sheet to act as a topper. All this did was create a furnace to sleep on!! We turned down the air con to 16 degrees Celsius and it was still too hot. The room was right next door to the lifts so we could hear the lifts going up and down all night! Disappointing to say the least.

• Luxury Club Sofitel Two Double Beds Room (2 adults)

brighter lighting option for room for reading or sorting luggage

2 double beds gave 2 friends plenty of room for cases, movement etc. We loved the breakfast and evening snack choices in club lounge, great places to sit and very friendly staff. Concierge staff were friendly and helpful with information and luggage storage

• Classic King Room

Got no sleep at all as room was next to lifts, could hear everything, people talking and doors opening etc as the sounds travelled up the lift shaft and the lifts are extremely noisy as well Probably would have no problems in any other room.

• Classic King Room

We did not have to wait to book in, staff were all friendly, helpful and amazing. This hotel offers a really relaxed atmosphere and their goal is to make you feel like your in France which they really did. There where some really great views from the room we stayed in the bed was comfortable, they offer quite an abundance of things in the room and mini fridge. This hotel also does amazing PR by choosing a guest of the day every day, being guest of the day means you get a free breakfast and you can check out later.

• Classic King Room

Excellent hospitality. We were celebrating our 34 the wedding anniversary and every staff we met made us feel special. We met Sam in the lift and he arranged for a complimentary bottle of sparkling, strawberries and chocolate to be sent to our room. The reception staff also gave us complimentary drinks at bar and chocolates. We will definitely return and tell all our friends to book with you too.

• Classic King Room

I had a great stay at the Sofitel Wentworth this week - exceptional service; very comfortable room; great value for money & location very close to my business meetings and Vivid.

• Classic King Room

Breakfast only fair and as I had only fruit and muesli it was expensive. Soiree had sold out of most food on Sunday might when I arrived so i had to go elsewhere

Very good bed. I had to draw the blinds due to lights outside but that was ok. Excellent location and conference food quite acceptable. I really enjoyed the ASA conference and the hotel must take some credit for that. Lovely hearing the pianists

• Classic King Room

Only stayed at the Wentworth as I had friends already staying there. On checking in, I was offered an upgrade for $20/night, also breakfast at $25 or so. I advised the receptionist I had already paid for breakfast with the booking which she confirmed after checking. I was given a rundown on the hotel & advised breakfast was available from 0630 on Level 5. I was offered a newspaper, however indicated I would be leaving early Sunday - most likely before the paper arrived. The allocated room was small & I was glad there weren't 2 of us with luggage. The bed was comfortable, however no top sheet on the bed only a doona. TV reception was poor & of note, 1 only 600ml complimentary bottle of water was provided for potentially 2 people. The minibar was well stocked. I spent 2 nights in the bed wondering why there were continuous train like noises in the room till I worked out I was next to the lifts. (Don't ever stay in Room 1007). Valet parking is via Wilson's & on the 2nd day we met the most obnoxious parking attendant, whose attitude left a lot to be desired. Our only crime appeared to be that we may have interrupted whatever he was doing as we were the only car driving in. I almost removed the car & parked on the street after the manner in which he spoke to us. I mentioned this to the concierge who simply raised his eyebrows. The day of departure saw an early check out. We met on the 5th floor at 0630, only to be told breakfast on Sunday did not start till 0700 which was when we had to leave. We were offered coffee & advised the members lounge was open, however we could not go there if we were not members. Reception was unattended between 0615 & around 0655. When checking out I mentioned that we were unable to access breakfast that had been paid for due to misinformation.

Breakfast was outstanding on the 1 day we were able to access it

• Luxury Club Sofitel Two Double Beds Room (2 adults)

There was too many people in the executive lounge - the food was gone within seconds and it was a very long wait for a drink. A lot of money to be paying for the lounge where it was hard to get a seat! I understand it was peak season but there should've been extra staff and supplies.

Very comfortable room, lovely place to stay - have stayed here twice now

• Classic King Room

Our room was small and dingy.. the so called city view was a brick wall and the room had very little natural light. The bed was only 1/2 meter from the wall. The basin in the bathroom had cracks in it, the stand to put your toiletries on was rusted and dusty. The wardrobe door hit the door opener so you could not access the wardrobe properly, and the only full length mirror was on the back of the wardrobe door!!! Room service was terrible we waited 45 minutes for a simple coffee and bakery order and when it arrived it was nearly cold and not edible,they even charged us and additional amount of $8 to deliver it!! The coffee/ Tea station only had green tea and again had to contact guest services to replenish it with black tea bags. On the whole our experience was very disappointing and will never stay or recommend this hotel to anyone. I hope you actually publish this review so other travelers know what to expect from this property.

The location was the only positive thing about this hotel

• Classic King Room

Very small room We were not warned of the how tiny the room was . $57 per night car parking ridiculous Reception desk staff very unhelpful . Not helpful when we requested a larger room.

• Classic King Room

I breakfast services was not good. I wasn't asked for drinks. When I asked for a coffee, but the coffee never came.

I booked single room with one bed, but ended with two bed. The room became too crowded.

• Classic King Room

Initial room was extremely disappointing - two rooms from lift and kept waking me up with the "train sounds!" Beds were not doubles - singles and a very small room/ensuite Informed the reception and duty manager who were both apologetic and helpful. Upgraded to a wonderful room (doubles) for the remaining two nights A big thank you for your effort - stay was very comfortable Great location short walk to shopping precinct and Circular Quay

• Classic King Room

Our room was not ready so we were upgraded at a cost of $40 per night plus a $75 per night fee was charged as a holding deposit which we didn’t expect

• Luxury Club Sofitel King Room

For the 5 star rating and the price associated the facilities were old and bed was a little hard for me. I also killed a couple of mosquitoes in the room, the question is why would mosquitoes be on the 17th floor in the first place.

I like the friendly and accommodating staff, they were attentive and informative. We informed upon booking that this was our 7 year anniversary and was surprised with champagne and strawberries in the room. Was a very nice touch!

• Classic King Room

ONE NIGHT IN THE BAR AREA NOT VERY GOOD SERVICE, HAD TO ASK FOT GLASSES AND PLATES TO BE REMOVES AND THEN ASK FOR DRINKS

FRIENDLY STAFF, OFFERED TO ORGANISE A SWIM AT ANOTHER HOTEL FOR MY BOYS AS THERE NO POOL.

We had trouble with reception when booking in and out as there was confusion on room charges and what had already been paid.

The service in dining and room were up to standard

• Superior King Room

The rooms are now exceedingly outdated. The bathrooms need updating. The WIFI is extremely slow. Generally the hotel does not seem to be a five star establishment. No pool doesn't help.

The location is great. The staff are friendly although some at reception could be a little more accommodating. The food at all the restaurants is top class and all the staff at the restaurants are really great.

• Classic King Room

Unfortunately we were right next to the lifts which constantly went up and down all night long and kept us awake.

Friendly staff. Lovely gesture of complementary champagne for my wife's 70th birthday

• Superior King Room

Room was next to lift shaft. You could hear the lifts all night and day. The bed had a big dent in the middle and was very uncomfortable.

Location and people

• Classic King Room

Our room wasn't too near the lifts - but could still hear them -so we were very glad that we didn't have the room next door.

The staff were all very friendly and the rooms comfortable.

• Classic King Room

Could not get into the restaurant no pool or facilities sauna etc mini bar limited too pricey. Tv terrible reception and old.

Good service with concierge friendly reception.

• Luxury Club Sofitel King Room

A week end away, we booked and payed for King luxury club. Our room was 1749. It was full price. Sunday morning at 6am they started constructing a crane on th roof just above us. 6am get real, I can’t even start a lawn mower before 10:00. It would have been quieter in a backpackers next to a quarry. This room should have been left vacant or heavily discounted.

The staff.

• Superior King Room

The bath was really tall and hard to get into Struggled to open the door to balcony Tv is really bad quality

The bed super comfy Bed made every day Staff were super friendly and helpful

• Superior King Room

The bed was the worst bed I’ve ever slept in. The mattress was really hard and the pillows were too soft. The air conditioning was freezing in the room too

Location was fantastic

• Classic King Room

The rooms are tired, and were not well cleaned. Bed was saggy, mattress skirting stuffed in and not fully fitting. Bathroom not ventilated, and poor lighting. Bathtub was dirty. Room itself pokey, one chair, outer window dirty. It is a sad review for the lovely old girl! would not stay again.

The location and lobby of the iconic Wentworth Hotel remain its strong points.

• Classic King Room

Not 5 star even though it claims to be, we asked for rooms next to each other but they put us on 3 different floors and when they were asked to fix it they just made excuses, wasn't good enough.

• Luxury Club Sofitel King Room

The room was a bit smelly, like it had been closed up for a long time. This surprised me in a hotel of this quality.

Very pleasant stay. Bed was comfy, good bathroom. We really enjoyed the Club, worth the extra money.

• Classic King Room

Checkin was a disaster - Breach of privacy by sending my information to the wrong email address x 3 and then again after check in when Id changed it No follow up when I contacted them to ask why they had breach my privacy.

Good location made worse because the of the poor service

• Classic King Room

We found hair in our bed when arriving, you could hear others in their bathrooms within the room

Easy locations, closs to city, Valet parking, buffet breakfast waa beautiful and professional welcoming staff

• Superior Room with Two Double Beds (2 adults)

See above

Book in was a complete disaster. After being offered an upgrade for 2 people was told there was only one bed. In club when this occurred and then was basically disregarded. Room key kept ceasing to work and had to be recut x 4 times. Breakfast service was comical. Ordered omelette and waited 30 mins. Went to check and they were ticked off as provided. Same occurred with coffee.

• Classic King Room

Took the twin bed classic room 26sqm. The shower area was really small. I am small size and still hit my arms against the wall, the shelf. I cannot imagine anyone above 5'9" surviving unscathed. Maybe this is a peculiarity in Australia, but every night we have to call the front desk to send up disposable toothbrush and toiletries refill. Housekeeping does not replenish automatically. Yet this is not a budget hotel.

It's a good large size hotel. Feels comfortable. Clean. Bed/pillow is good for a sound sleep. Was not automatically given free wifi in the room but when enquired, they provided. There are a good number of drinks and snacks stocked up in the room. Accessible to Circular Quay at one end and the shopping streets and QVB at the other end.

• Classic King Room

Charging extra for Wi-Fi in a hotel in 2018 is a total joke. Tried a big upsell on check in which I never appreciate. TV reception was terrible.

Comfortable bed. Friendly staff. Great location.

• Classic King Room

It would have been better if the room service breakfast had arrived on time (without me having to call to check on it) and hot. It was really disappointing. Also - the room I booked was supposed to have a bath... there was NO bath. I was looking forward to that. The room magazines were greasy and the room service menu was worn. This room (1011) was not one you want.

Chocolates on checkin was a surprise and the staff are delightful and pleasant

• Classic King Room

Hard to reset the alarm Some noise from lifts

Staff were very helpful Beds very comfy Ensuite clean and well appointed Easy to control room temperature

• Classic King Room

We were on level 6 and it was very noisy with the traffic/street noise. (Hotel was quiet) We had not planned on having breakfast at the hotel..however at checkin we were offered breakfast at a reduced rate which was generous and we accepted. It was really disappointing! It was disorganised, and many empty food bays, no clean coffee cups, no butter, and generally messy with spilled food etc. We were there at 9am. Would not recommend it especially as there are so many lovely cafes,with gorgeous harbour views, within walking distance! All in all it was convenient and comfortable...but eat out!

Great location and very comfortable bed..slept well! Room was spacious and well equipped.

• Superior King Room

Very disappointing breakfast menu. It’s not worth the price tag: 1-very limited variety for hot dishes 2- dry confusing buffet set up(we had to spend time finding different food in different places) Minimum room facilities. No tooth brush kit. No sleepers. No wrong information on the booklet(breakfast starts at 6 am in the book!).

Room temperature was well adjusted for our arrival. Friendly staffs at reception

they didn't have a pool

Staff made our stay. This stay was for my cousin's 40th birthday and they spoilt us. We will definitely come back to stay!

• Classic King Room

I would have enjoyed a larger room. Shared with brother...,, next time I shall take that into account...

From the moment we stepped into Sofitel reception and signed in A1... staff polite and very professional... concierge at entrance very welcoming and speedy with luggage from vehicle.

• Classic King Room

Request for 2 single beds not met, and took 2 asks to get changed. Shower barely Luke warm, and toilet needed 3 flushes each time. Room extremely small..

Liked the magnifying mirror. Staff individually were nice but communication between areas not so good.

• Classic King Room

The hotel is now very dated and the rooms including bathrooms are in serious need of a refurb. There is no pool or spa - the beauty services facilities in the building are at best average. If you can afford it - stay somewhere else.

We stayed on mardi gras night as we had a 40th birthday party in the city. I chose the the hotel as it was the cheapest in the 5 star range for that expensive date. The location near Boy Charlton pool was very convenient

• Classic King Room

The collection of water in the shower recess was off putting. No hand shower. Just did not feel clean. Towels were pretty basic, also just 1face washer and 1hand towel provided for two of us. The room was noisy throughout the night with a whirring sound possibly due to the proximity of the lifts. Cappuccinos and tea in your Lounge at lunchtime for us and our 2 guests were lukewarm. Service not readily available,had a fair wait. Lunch however was pretty good all round.

• Classic King Room

Room looked out to brick wall. Couldn’t tell if it was rainy/sunny outside and lights had to be on all the time. Bathroom was large but had nowhere to place cosmetics etc as there was only a sink and no vanity.

Bed and pillows were wonderful. Buffet breakfast was just beautiful. If you stay here don’t have breakfast anywhere else.

• Prestige Club Sofitel King Suite

Bad Internet connection and we did not like the dinners

The room was clean and light. The bed is comfortable, the most important plus of the hotel location.

• Classic King Room

Checking out and checking in ! We were waiting in line in front of the person and they’d call other people over from the other side of the reception area, not good especially when he saw we were waiting there first and in line ...

• Luxury Club Sofitel Two Double Beds Room (3 Adults)

The only thing we could fault was we’d booked for 3 and only had towels and cups etc in our room for two on both days. Always quickly fixed though.

The service overall was outstanding but even more so in the Club Sofitel lounge. Unbelievable

• Classic King Room

I found nothing to indicate an improvement was necessary. All is good - keep up the good work and reputation.

The entire ambience of the hotel was first class. The location is excellent, and we enjoyed our stay. Thank you.

• Classic King Room

The room and bathroom were small and tired. No free WiFi

Good location in the CBD, close to Circular Quay. Friendly staff. Room service meals were very good.

• Classic King Room

Very dated and old, rooms are tiny and overall not a 5 star experience. Only for the bed I would have been wildly underwhelmed. No pool.

The bed is amazing and the staff friendly

• Classic King Room

Bed was too soft and not very comfortable. Didn't like being told I could get an upgrade by paying extra at time of checkin (around 1pm). First I was told I could have room immediately by paying extra. Then told I could have a better room if I paid extra. I then asked what was wrong with the room I had chosen and was told it was close to the lift and could be noisy. I advised them I was happy to have the room I originally booked, which cost $500 for 2 nights, so not sure why they needed to upsell.

Location is great and friendly staff

• Classic King Room

The entire property is very tired and certainly needs upgrading in all directions. The room service staff are tired and inefficient. When we returned to our room at 3.30 on the 10th, the room still had not been serviced! My husband spoke to the duty Manager and we were moved to a suite and fruit and wine were sent to our room.

The quiet library is quite good to read the papers. I can’t think of anything else!

• Classic King Room

When I arrived I was put in a twin room when I had booked a king. Staff were reluctant to give me a proper room. The bed in my second room was one of the most uncomfortable I’d ever slept on. It was so old it had big dips where people have laid over the years. I barely slept it was so uncomfortable. Room service took over 45mins when I’d ordered a simple sandwich and was very over priced.

The hotel is in a great location and the decor, while getting a little tired, is quite nice.

• Classic King Room

Would have been nice to have a pool but we got a bargain price last minute which is why we stayed there over an apartment.

The bed was super comfy and the service was excellent.

• Classic King Room

We got the cheapest room and it was small. We did opt for the cheapest room though. It was still all very lovely.

The staff were amazing and we were always given the highest level of service. The room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. The hotel is located in a perfect position.

• Luxury Club Sofitel King Room

The height of bath made it difficult to get in and out of shower.

Club Sofitel - food and beverages there excellent. Business centre - excellent use was made of this. Front bar - entertainment great. The bath robes, slippers excellent touches. Pod machine etc. I could keep gong on. Bed was like sleeping on pillows Toiletries were of amazing standard.

• Classic King Room

Tv reception was fuzzy, sound proofing was ok(you can hear people as you by rooms)

We stayed in the king room, with t was a Large spacious room, very comfortable bed, room service delivered in a timely manner, delicious food, nice view

• Superior King Room

Phone didn’t work, staff offered to fix it the next day but didn’t, staff forgot the wake up call, lucky I also set my alarm, mold on the bathroom walls, run down in need of renovation, no shaving kit or toothbrush. Extremely expensive for what it was, dreadful value for money.

• Classic King Room

The shower didn’t work, we needed to get someone to come and fix it so we had a running shower with hot water. The bathroom sink had a large crack down the middle that was discolored. The toilet needed to be flushed multiple times in order to flush the toilet paper. We paid over $1,400 for 2 nights for what was meant to be a 5 star hotel and were very disappointed. Would not recommend!

The bed was very comfortable.

• Classic King Room

It was some issues with communicating that we need 2 separate beds, but looks like it's an issue on booking.com side.

Very reasonable pricing for the day we were staying there. The room is small but cosy.

• Superior Room with Two Double Beds (2 adults)

The plug in the bathroom vanity didn’t fit. There was a grape in the sink plug hole as well as hair.

The staff were all extremely pleasant and helpful. Our room was nicely set out.

• Superior King Room

No pool on property , bed wasn't comfortable, hotel in need of refurbishment .

service was great , breakfast was also great, hotel is in walking distance to all attractions

• Superior King Room

The quality, value for money and overall experience was dreadful and fell very well short of my expectations. Cockroach in the room, dirty glasses, stained carpets, broken iron and ironing board made the experience very bad, especially seeing I stayed there for 4 nights.

The location of the hotel

n/a

the whole stay was excellent from the time I booked in to the departure. If you want 5 star then this a great place and I will be going back on my next trip to Sydney.

• Classic King Room

Fantastic service. All staff were friendly and the staff members who assisted us with our luggage were wonderful. They went above and beyond with their service and ensured we were comfortable and did not need for anything. A great place to stay

• Classic King Room

Breakfast selection was good but it was difficult to find plates and cutlery around the buffet.

The room was very clean, bed and pillows extremely confortable. Staff in general professional and courteous.

• Classic King Room

We found that we didn't sleep very well on the bed. It was a bit uncomfortable. Parking is expensive.

My new husband and I checked in for the first two nights of our honeymoon, and were upgraded to a more spacious room with better windowside seating, as recommended by the wonderful concierge. We received a platter of strawberries with some chocolate and some sparking water when we mentioned we didn't drink alcohol. Thanks heaps! You were very sweet! The in-room dining service the following morning was beautiful and well presented, we had our own heat box to keep our food warm.

• Classic King Room

rooms to small , and being told that because i booked through a third party website ie booking .com my choice of room i booked and paid for was not guaranteed until i arrived and checked in which is stupid

Soffitel is always good this hotel is in an old building so rooms are very small but comfortable but i guess the price reflects this , great breakfast buffet as usual great staff very helpful

• Classic King Room

The TV reception was very bad Also no Foxtel only choice was to pay for movie that's not good Not a local so a map of the area would have been good in the room

Loved the room The staff were friendly Restaurant was amazing

• Classic King Room

The only thing was the noise from the lift. I had a room right along side the lift and I could hear it all night. If you are a deep sleeper probably not a problem but if you are a light sleeper not good.

Loved the proximity to circular quay. Bed was very comfortable. Staff the best I have ever come across. Champagne on arrival was a surprise bonus as was the super fast check in and out.

• Superior King Room

One of the pillows smelled bad. We asked for it to be changed but they just changed the pillow case. Water bottles were not replaced every day. Bathroom cleaning was not that good with the cleaner leaving behind cleaning cloths

Lobby and reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Service in the lobby bar was very good

• Classic King Room

Beautiful hotel, great size room and comfortable bed. All staff were exceptionally helpful and polite. Location for Opera House concert was excellent.

• Classic King Room

Stayed here as it was close to the Opera in the Domain. Staff were very attentive, and the room although not huge, was very comfortable. Bathroom felt luxurious. Bar downstairs was lovely to relax in, read the paper and enjoy a wine.