Reviews of Blue Orchids Beach Hotel 3 stars

Worthing, 18, BB15028 Bridgetown, Barbados

#18 of 30 hotels in Bridgetown

Small resort, clean rooms, great location.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Wifi is horrible. Had to log off and on many many many times a day to get it to work. Certainly not enough of a problem to stop me from coming back but with kids at home, I needed the be able to text and email with them.

The rooms are basic, you don’t walk in and say wow, but, I don’t go to Barbados for the room. You will walk out on your patio/balcony and say wow! The grounds are well kept and lush. The rooms are well equipped, full kitchen with pots, pans, dishes etc. Cleaned daily. Bedrooms are air conditioned. Location is perfect for restaurants, bars and groceries store within easy walking distance. The resort is small, I think about 35 rooms.

Once we had checked in, the rooms and hotel were good and our stay in Barbados was great.
    • Large Two-Bedroom Apartment

They could not get me a Nation paper although they had the Advocate paper free each day, There was no room to get a shower and to change into fresh clothes on the last day as we had to vacate our room at 12 noon and our flight was at 7 15pm the hotel wanted $50 US to keep our room on until 3pm. The hotel had booked a taxi for us from the airport on arrival which did not turn up I was quoted $70 Barbados for the trip by the hotel, we got a taxi ourselves and it cost $50 Barbados I can only assume the hotel gets a fee from the booking. we used a few taxis on the island and did our own negotiating eg. $30 Barbados to Kensington Oval.

the room was great the pool and views were good

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

excellent location, excellent room

no complaints

This is a very good hotel with excellent location on a white sandy beach. I was given a fully-equipped apartment with all comforts. Very comfortable bed; very nice balcony; it was easy to reach Bridgetown; many shops in the area. Fair price

FAIR
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

THE BEACHES WERE CLOSED, THIS WAS NOT TOLD OR SHOWN ON WEBSITE MAKING THE COST OUTWEIGHING THE COMFORT NEEDED. THE HOTEL IS BORING, BREAKFAST IS TERRIBLE

CLEAN ENVIRONMENT

Wonderful stay in Barbados!
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Rooms are a bit dated. Air conditioner in the room was noisy.

Great location and very helpful staff. Food at the restaurant was good and enjoyed the convenience of room service. Staff at the restaurant were also very nice ! The hotel taxi helpful and friendly !

There were so many great amenities included at this property...
    • Deluxe Studio

There were so many great amenities included at this property, the first and most notable of which is the ocean view! What a beautiful thing to wake up every morning to waves and have breakfast on the balcony. The fully stocked kitchen, thorough cleaning, beach chairs, and convenient location were great as well.

Nice for a short stay on a beautiful beach.
    • Deluxe Studio

The restaurant, which was why we chose this hotel over just a self catering place, was very limited. We waited 30 mins before being told what we ordered wasn't available (a salad!). Speed was not a priority. We never even got our drinks. The bathroom was super small, needs a bit of an update.

Nice staff and great location in between 2 white sandy beaches. Nice pool, clean rooms with self catering facilities.

My stay was great; I would definitely go back.
    • Deluxe Studio

The bedroom was a bit stuffy. Other than that it was great.

I liked everything from the room to the pool, games room and the beach right outside the hotel.

Enjoyed every minute of my stay
    • Deluxe Studio

Don’t think it could improve, perfect accommodation in perfect place

Everything and everyone at Blue Orchid is amazing. Going back September/October 👍🏽

We were only staying a night while in transit from the...
    • Large Two-Bedroom Apartment

The beach was not nice for swimming as the surf was quite rough and full of seaweed. The pool was nice.

We were only staying a night while in transit from the airport. It served our purpose well.

Alwas a pleasure to stay with you.
    • Deluxe Studio

A nice quiet room on the 3rd floor with a separate sleeping room. It was quiet until a pigeon flew in to the room and could not get out causing a disturbance and a mess. A staff member was able to get it out !!

I've already recomended Blue Orchids to my friends who are planning a trip later this year
    • Deluxe Studio

The limited parking. I was lucky to sometimes get the last parking spot

The housekeeping staff were friendly and efficient. I had a small problem and the front desk was able to solve the problem within 12 hours

Loved our apartment with an amazing sea view. Thank you Julia ! A wonderful resort !
    • Deluxe Studio

People leave towels on chairs around pool when they should be available if people leave !

We loved to hear the waves at night and having a beautiful balcony overlooking the ocean.

Disappointing at best. There are much better hotels in the area at the same price point.
    • Deluxe Studio

Room wasn’t clean (sand in tub), and was very much in need of updating (rusty, eroding fixtures in the bathroom for example), old/scratchy sheets, very noisy. Some of the staff was very warm and friendly, while others were quite surly

Well done
    • Deluxe Studio

My only negative issue was my credit card didn't work forcing me to use an alternative payment method. However, my credit card worked at other locations on the island. My card is a trinidad credit card.

Friendly, helpful staff. So restful and peaceful. :)

great holiday and very comfortable clean hotel
    • Deluxe Studio

Entertainment was terrible, and maybe only twice a week.

Great hotel and very clean rooms with all self catering needs. Staff exceptional. Fantastic holiday and would come back, this was our 2nd stay.

Fabulous Ocean View

Everything was good.

Rooms have a great view of ocean. Manager Margaret was very helpful in finding me a room with high floor and also arranging late check out.

Lovely & peaceful. Really felt we were on vacation
    • Deluxe Studio

The restaurant and bar needs attention. Its a lovely setting . Would be good to have nice sofas & music at night.

Every room had a sea view. Everything you needed was in the room, good iron, cooking pots & kettle . Clean towels and linem daily.

the prices should be reviewed, it is too expensive for the service received
    • Deluxe Studio

the a/c has one of the vent pieces missing the outside door could not be locked too much mosquitoes we wanted upper floors and it was not available (requested since october) the price is too high!

the beach and the pool

Perfect beachfront at a great price.
    • Deluxe Studio

No elevator, but the views and location made up for the inconvenience.

This was a great hotel for a terrific price. The beach was outstanding! The rooms, while not ultra modern, were clean, spacious, and all beach front. The attached restaurant had great food at a most reasonable price. I would stay there again.

Rooms and location slightly above expectation
    • Deluxe Studio

Several issues with the airport shuttle : - had to email twice to get it organised - no answer - driver arrived 20 minutes late - no apology - driver expected direct payment in cash whereas through booking the charge was to be paid to the hotel. this happened even on return whereas it was discussed at length with reception and with the driver during the stay - the agreed charge was agreed through booking.com 25USD. However they then tried to change me 30USD each way. I was not checked in properly i.e. my credit card details were not taken. So at breakfast I was made to leave my breakfast table and go sort it with reception. I would say it gets sorted later or someone from reception comes over but not the customer be made to leave breakfast.

The location couldn't be better.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The location couldn't be better. Close to stores and restaurants. The room is cleaned daily, the grounds are beautiful. Staff is friendly, Reggie will book activities, restaurants, taxis etc. The rooms need some TLC. They're just getting tired looking.

Not great value for money - but a good stay
    • Deluxe Studio

The game room was not available throughout our stay. The one time we ate in the restaurant the food was not very good but we just didn't eat there again. The 'water sports' activities advertised online were practically non existent.

The room was very clean. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The location was great with bus stops right outside and a bank and supermarkets not far away.

• Deluxe Studio

They were informed to add an extra bed,they didn't do that and the girl who checked me in was blaming me for the mix up.Took a long time to Ck out,all these hand written receipts.

Holiday okay
    • Large Two-Bedroom Apartment

We stayed in D106 and in the corridor they was boxes 📦 and large rolls on the floor and my mum who is 88 nearly tripped over them. I did notified the management but nothing was done, so I didn't bother after that. People on holiday don't want to see this stuff in corridors...😠😠😠😠

It was okay

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

Good place to stay.
    • Deluxe Studio

The food in the restaurant could have been better. Service was a bit slower than expected.

The rooms were clean and spacious. Loved the view of the ocean. Very safe environment

Living

The food!

The location was a hit. The food is not the best.when I travel to another country it's because I want to get away from the norm they try to cook American food it was a bust nasty....the birds did even want to eat it but the roadside food was good few min away walking. The beach it a very nice view but not recommend for swimming for kids the waters are very rough but a walk up the street and there's a public open area very nice.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

Great decision to stay at the Blue Orchid hoping to go back next year
    • Deluxe Studio

The decor was a bit tired but that probably accounted for the value for money it provided which was essential. Would have liked a safe in my room rather than central.

It had everything you needed. Perfect location, beautiful view, comfy beds, power shower, kitchen area, lovely terrace, air conditioning and a great manager

• Reviewed: 30 March 2017

A fine resort for your stay in Barbados
    • Large Two-Bedroom Apartment

The unit we were in was clean but a little tired, especially in the bathrooms, all offset by the advantages

Excellent location near a sandy beach with a variety of amenities including dining, supermarkets and shopping. Two bedroom unit was excellent for privacy between couples, and had standard kitchen facilities though lacking a dishwasher, dish soap and paper towels. Free parking for rental vehicles, with easy access to airport, Bridgetown, and main highways in the interior

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Would recommend Blue Orchid.
    • Deluxe Studio

Staff could have been a bit more friendly. They were ok. but not outstanding. Parking a bit of a problem.

Location was good. A bit pricey but I understand that it was high season.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

So close to the sea.p
    • Deluxe Studio

Would have liked coffee supplies in the room.

Superb ocean view from upper rooms. Only a few feet from the sea, the roar of the waves and ocean breeze made sleeping delightful.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

Didn't find any flakey croissants in the bed!
    • Deluxe Studio

Taxi driver quoted to take just the 2 of us to the cruise terminal and then picked up more people from other hotels but would not negotiate a better rate for us!!

Didn't find any flakey croissants in the bed! Joke. Enjoyed the freshly cooked evening meal to our dietary requirements overlooking the gardens and sea, and the hummingbirds on the feeders on the balconies.

Very bad service
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

With the exception of one lovely lady, the staff were incredibly rude and inconsiderate. Our flight in was delayed, and there was no one on reception when we arrived, I had to call the hotel to get someone to come to the front desk. I was travelling with a colleague and had requested a twin room, but this had not been arranged, and the receptionist insisted it was our mistake and that it wouldn't be fixed until the following day. We ended up asking for sheets and made the bed ourselves. Our return flight was delayed by 7 hours (just bad luck with flights but not reflected in this review), and the receptionist during the day was very rude and unaccommodating. A later receptionist did sympathise and let us use washing facilities. Nowhere safe to store luggage if you're on a late flight. Sea outside too rough to swim in.

The location was right on the beach front, beach was lovely and clean, nice restaurants a 15 min walk up the road, veggie breakfast for the neighbouring hotel was great.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

Better hotels than this for the money
    • Deluxe Studio

The bathroom fittings were rusting and the bed linen was marked/dirty. It didn't feel clean. Room in desperate need of refurbishment. We were offered an extension of time in our room which was then retracted. The staff were unfriendly.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

Very good self contained living right on the beach front
    • Deluxe Studio

We had a very enjoyable 11 day stay here and our only complaint was having to leave. Our self contained deluxe studio (C203) offered us everything we needed and was positioned on the 2 level directly in front of the sea. From the veranda we looked left to the long sandy beach and right to the pool area with seating and loungers. The hotel is not new and a few things are getting a bit tired but for the money it was very good and the staff friendly and helpful. The unit had a full kitchen, microwave, fridge, flat screen TV and great wifi. In addition to the long sandy beach the complex offered 2 pools and on site restaurant/bar, a tour desk and a small gym. There is a supermarket down the road ~400 metres while back towards Bridgetown ~250 metres is the Tiki Bar which offers an alternative choice of eating and drinking and another beautiful beach.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

Peaceful, comforts too basic , best for long stay.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Internet was weak, I had to work. It was a little to basic for my work travel. Staff was not as friendly as i would expect, as i am in customer service.

The location, and the peacefulness.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

Not worth your time or your money!
    • Deluxe Studio

Where should I start? It took two ladies to check me in for one night with some chatting in between (I guess change of shift) to get to a room where mildew has lived clearly and left its traces on the floor. Yes, the deluxe room I got has a sea view but it is like I am living on the street on one side and really it has the pool view and some sea covered by trees on the other side; so if you are a light sleeper or if you expect to hear any nature sound, good luck or hopefully the normal room will be better. Looking for the restaurant (by the way no one at the desk was there to help me so I had to ask the nice lady from the hotel next door), I discovered that it is borrowed from the hotel next door...like the gym and oh yes the beach....everything is shared including the fact that when I ordered a taxi for my trip in the morning I discovered that I am paying $25 for a taxi but I am sharing it with two other couples who later were chatting and I discovered they paid the driver an additional $35. For reference, the taxi costed me $18.00 the day before from the airport; and yes I was alone lol

Good location and nice service from the gentleman in the restaurant they have its menu (will talk about this later)

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

Nice quiet hotel in a great location
    • Deluxe Studio

The clientele is mostly older folks that come back every year and tend to be there for extended stays. If you're in Barbados for a quiet getaway, that's perfect. But, if you're looking for a little more excitement, there are better places to stay.

The location is excellent. It's within walking distance to everything you'll need including supermarkets, bars, restaurants and the most popular south coast beaches.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Overpriced chosen for a sea view disappointed with a big tree blocking the view
    • Deluxe Studio

The view was blocked by a big tree Room was infested with thousands of ants and mites For the money charged the room was quite run down and very dark I wouldn't recommend staying here to anyone disappointed

The beach and location was good

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Great place, poor customer service in the Desk Reception
    • Deluxe Studio

Two of the recepcionist were very rude and no have customer service soul, maybe they can make a Smile for the customers.

The manager Margaret is a lovely person and always make solutions for the customers, she's very kind.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

Faded but potentially charming small hotel
    • Deluxe Studio

The room was very tired as was the furnishing. Kitchen area in the room needs total refurbishment.

Beautiful location, room ovelooking the pool/garden. Café overlooking beach.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

Short but Sweet!! Blue Orchid is Great!!
    • Deluxe Studio

I didn't like that my stay was so short. I desired to be there a little longer to Explore the fullnest of the Resort and the island of Barbados some more!!

The Reception workers were on point and prompt. They were courteous and very nice. Very Relaxed and Professional. I felt like I was Home!! I liked it a lot and looking forward to Returning! !

The staff was extremely friendly and the room on the 4th...
    • Deluxe Studio

The staff was extremely friendly and the room on the 4th floor had a beautiful view of the ocean.

• Deluxe Studio

Great location. Amazing views. Friendly staff. On the beach!

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Location, very helpful with early check in, facilities in...
    • Deluxe Studio

Location, very helpful with early check in, facilities in the room

nice but window blind too short

no breakfast

nice

Great location!
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Games room could have been better.

The room was comfortable and spacious for our group of four.

Within walking distance of shops, restaurants and beaches

No bell boy

Within walking distance of shops, restaurants and beaches

Just great value for money.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Just great value for money. Good location.

Good location, nice kitchenette. Friendly people.
    • Deluxe Studio

One of the twin beds was in need of replacement.

Nice covered deck and quiet.

Relaxing

Two pin plugs

Nice big room with balcony with nice pool

Wi-Fi works fine.
    • Deluxe Studio

Anti-mosquito measures should be taken or candles provided.

Wi-Fi works fine. Great location

I loved my time at the Blue Orchid
    • Deluxe Studio

Porter help only available at certain times. Did get help from member of staff

Breakfast was delicious especially the omelettes.

Very poor wifi.
    • Deluxe Studio

Very poor wifi. Noisy air conditioner.

I can honestly say that this was one of the best stays I've experienced in 10yrs of travelling!
    • Deluxe Studio

Everything! I didn't want to leave!

Would stay there again but would request ground floor room.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

No elevator and room in third floor. Also air conditioning went off when you left the room.

Home from home

Liked everything

Had everything we wanted

good and relaxed . nice location of the property
    • Large Two-Bedroom Apartment

did not have breakfast at the hotel to comment

Short stay but just what we wanted
    • Deluxe Studio

Sunday breakfast buffet was not well organized and not god value. Order from the menu

Excellent room with marvelous view over the ocean

The hotel is on the beach
    • Deluxe Studio

The receptionists didn't smile very often

The hotel is on the beach

Stay was not as expected. Beach location was good.
    • Deluxe Studio

Restaurant was poor. Booking.com did not notify us of a serious sewage problem in the area.

There should be basic staples in the kitchen such as salt...
    • Large Two-Bedroom Apartment

There should be basic staples in the kitchen such as salt pepper sugar dish soap etc

Really enjoyed my stay and would look to come back.

Gym was a bit small.

Very clean and good room size. Lovely sea view. Comes with a full kitchen which was very useful.

Was ok but poor amenities

Bar/restaurant , very sparse very slow service ,no snacks

Great Hotel

No cons

The room is awesome with a great view from the balcony and a small kitchen. Loved it all

The staff and the location was excellent.
    • Deluxe Studio

The staff and the location was excellent.

Very clean facility
    • Deluxe Studio

There was entertainment at the hotel on some nights, very friendly staff, and a great view of the ocean from the balcony.

Perfection👍

Everything!

Everything was supplied that we needed!
    • Deluxe Studio

there was nothing we didn't like about the room.

It was a very comfortable room with everything we needed.

Place is run down.
    • Deluxe Studio

Place is run down. Bathrooms need updating. Wi-fi not so good.

Was ok

Pasta was not good

Omelet was amazing.

Right on the beach!

Nothing really.

On a great beach and close to bars and shops. Very helpful and friendly staff.

I liked the view,the swimming pool and the staff was...
    • Deluxe Studio

I liked the view,the swimming pool and the staff was listening to our requests.

There were no croissant nor cinammon rolls!

The bar & diner

There were no croissant nor cinammon rolls!!

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

I loved it !!!
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The bar wasn't fully stocked

Loved the room with the pool table and my room felt comfy and cozy.