Reviews of Alma Grand Place Hotel 3 stars

Spoormakersstraat 42-44, 1000 Brussels, Belgium

#107 of 212 hotels in Brussels

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

The bathroom was on a floor below the bedroom and reachable...
    • Classic Twin Room

The bathroom was on a floor below the bedroom and reachable only by very steep and narrow stairs. That should be clearly stated in the room description since older people/kids/not in shape would have big problems with using it.

Very bad price/quality ratio
    • Classic Twin Room

Price was too high (130 euros) for an ugly room in the basement, with deteriorated walls and doors. Moreover the corridor was full of containers blocking the access to the room. The room was cold, with a noisy air-conditioned which could not be stopped (it was automatically disconnected later than 12 pm...)

Hotel well located and clean.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Price is too high. The mildew smell is bad. Changing an address on the bill is seemingly a problem.
    • Classic Twin Room

* There was mildew smell in the whole room - shower bath seems to have holes were water can flow in and cause mildew. * Although I paid at the first day of my 5 days stay the receipt could not prepared with the wished address until departure and finally caused unnecessary hurry. Very annoying. * No warm water in the afternoon of 20.09.2018 and in the morning of 21.09.2018. I didn't complain because I had to catch my train.

The bed is ok.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Very central, if basic, hotel - fine for a one night stay.
    • Classic Twin Room

My room, and the hotel in general, has a very basic decor and lacks anything that gives it character or style. However, location makes up for this.

My room was large, if rather soulless; the bathroom was large and comfortable, and the bed perfectly good. Overall level of comfort was sufficient for a good night's rest. Location excellent, just 5 minutes walk from Brussels Central.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Booked a room with two beds and when we got there they had...
    • Classic Queen Room

Booked a room with two beds and when we got there they had assigned us one bed. The only two bed room they had was in the basement and it was damp feeling and smelled funny.

Spacious room with good bathroom facilities and hotel in a...
    • Classic Queen Room

Smoke alarm flashed all night which was a bit annoying, no fridge or tea/coffee making facilities and not enough power points. No air on and room safe did not work.

Spacious room with good bathroom facilities and hotel in a fabulous location close to Centraal station and Market Square

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

The position is great, close to the Central Train Station,...
    • Classic Twin Room

The position is great, close to the Central Train Station, to the metro and to the pedestrian center, fuul of cafes and restaurants. The breakfast was very good, with fresh fruit, nice bread and a selection of savory stuff. In general the hotel is very basic, but this is expected as it is cheap if compared to other structures in the same area. And it is cleaned and quiet and central. I would come back.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Perfect location.
    • Classic Queen Room

Some staff not very friendly, although lady who checked us in was great. Was standard hotel, no personal touches or anything different.

Perfect location. Nice, modern rooms.

good breakfast and location
    • Classic Queen Room

the shower curtain could barely block the water from spilling out but the bath room and the size of the whole room is quite big and comfortable

two single beds, wonderful location around grand square and good breakfast

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Good location and nice stay
    • Classic Twin Room

Would have been great to have a kittle vat fridge in the room.

I was a bit worried after reading some reviews, but I got to stay on the 3rd or so floor and it was a loft style room with the bed upstairs and bathroom downstairs- I thought it was great! Felt roomy compared to just one small room. Air con worked upstairs where I slept. Location was brilliant for main part of Brussels. Easy walk from train station and to road to catch taxi or Uber. Reception staff very friendly and helpful.

Just walking distance to Grand Place & all the souvenir shops.
    • Duplex Room

Not having tea/ coffee in the rooms. If this hotel had these it would have been perfect as everything else was good.

Clean & comfortable rooms & spacious toilets. Just walking distance to Grand Place & the souvenir shops & chocolate outlets. Mind you the Belgian chocolates were quite cheap & really good.

Staff are very friendly.
    • Classic Twin Room

My room was just a front of the street which is quite noisy during day time.

Staff are very friendly. The breakfast is a good value for the price. The room was big enough to make you feel comfy.

Great little hotel.
    • Classic Queen Room

My room had stairs between the bathroom and the bedroom.

The hotel was convenient for my business trip, it was comfortable and clean. Staff were friendly and a lovely range for breakfast.

Good location but other hotels should be considered
    • Classic Queen Room

Rooms are very old, furnitures are also very old, door and walls were very dirty and had some broken parts. Toilet was not convenient, it was really hard to wash hands because of the sink. Shower curtain and other equipments were not useful or missing. No air conditioning! windows were not enough for fresh air. We didnt use heating but there was a portable heating which was old fashion. We tought breakfast was free and didnt see anyhting about it and no price sign so we had to pay whatever they say, which was very expensive!

Great location! we checked in before than the check-in time and we had chance to use the luggage room.

I 'll be back! :)
    • Classic Queen Room

there was nothing negative of importance

Very nice and friendly personal at the foyer, good location in the center, next to bruxelles central station, good breakfast, we had a room on the fifth floor with an awesome view!, wifi connection was ok (25 Mbits+), great price for all!

Superb location and comfortable rooms.
    • Classic Twin Room

During my first night the air conditioning didn’t work and they were unable to give me a new room till the next day

Superb location and comfortable rooms.

Decent hotel, very central and well run.
    • Classic Twin Room

The cleaning lady was very loud in the hallway outside my room one morning, talking very loudly on her cellphone, seemingly unaware of her ability to "project"!

They gave me a basement room but it was very quiet and perfect for my needs.

The location was perfect and very central, just a short walk...
    • Classic Queen Room

There was no air conditioning so we had to open the windows. The problem was that the street was quite noisy in the early morning and as a result we had to close the windows which in turn made the room get quite hot.

The location was perfect and very central, just a short walk away from the city center and same distance from the main train station. Staff where great and very helpful. Strongly recommend. Good varied breakfast.

Fantastic stay!
    • Classic Queen Room

Air conditioner didn't seem to cool the room. Limited facilities in terms of things like a corkscrew or wine glasses. Obviously not that big of an issue.

Location was perfect! Staff very friendly.

Excellent location because it was five minutes or less from...
    • Classic Twin Room

Excellent location because it was five minutes or less from the central station and it is right next to many restaurants leading to the Grand Place. The room was more spacious than expected and the staff was very helpful and pleasant!

overall, a good experience
    • Classic Twin Room

The room that I've got was below ground level and that wasn't mentioned anywhere when I booked the room. The window was facing a very narrow interior courtyard. Therefore, don't book the cheapest room, even if presented as a great deal of the day, with big price reduction, as this is catchy. There was no air conditioned (which, is true, I've known since I booked the room) and the fan present in the room was broken. You are requested to leave your key at the reception any time you leave the hotel. Which is great, except when at return they gave you the key from another room, which has happened to me being forced to return to reception and explain. I was requested to pay in advanced for the entire 3 nights when checking in, although I've book the room with a credit card and 50% of the entire amount was previously blocked by the hotel. Seemed to me that this was because I'm from Romania and they feared the worst. I know the reputation of some of my compatriots, but was very unpleasant, especially as on booking is not mentioned that you have to pay in advance and considering that in advance you are booking with a credit card, therefore you can and will pay.

Location is great, just one corner away from the Grand Place and very close to the Central Station. The hotel was clean and quiet.

A brief stop off, it was OK ; but wouldn't really want to stay longer in that room.
    • Classic Twin Room

Tiresome light on the ceiling fire alarm flashed every thirty seconds all night, I didn't sleep well. Room a bit depressing and dingy, reasonably comfortable bed.

nice staff, helpful. Delicious breakfast.

It was close to the central station and the main square - so...
    • Classic Twin Room

Unless you’re in a hurry, I probably wouldn’t bother with breakfast - it wasn’t expensive by Belgian standards, but also pretty basic.

It was close to the central station and the main square - so very touristy, but lots of different restaurants close by (from kebab shops to more upmarket places).

All went well, no problems with catching the train in the morning
    • Classic Queen Room

Air con seemed to have failed it was very hot and we had to sleep with the windows open so there was a lot of noise until five in the morning!!!

The location was why we booked, close to the station and city center

Good for business stay
    • Classic Twin Room

The room was a bit awkward - the bed was on the second floor, the living area, bathroom on the first. The living area had no windows.

Great location, nice service.

TheManager was just wonderful. We had a problem with a missing person and he was just so helpful.
    • Classic Twin Room

The Manger Marc was absolutely brilliant. He helped me out with a problem we had and was just so good. I would recommend your hotel to all my friends.

Almost everything disapppointing
    • Classic Twin Room

The room was much too cold, and there was no way to adjust the airconditioning in the room. Only by opening the window - then the air-co shut itself off. Before that, I had to take an extra blanket from the closet - and that, during a heat-wave of June! Twice I asked for a wake-up call - the first day, it came one hour late! The second time, there was no call at all. The safe did not work, and in addition, the bathroom was shabbny - there was no way to use the shower except holding it in your hand, and there was no place to hang towels. All in all, an unfortunate hotel choice. I will not come back here again.

Cosy room well located just off Grand Place
    • Classic Queen Room

For the price of the room which I believe to be overpriced, I expect the room to have (a mini bar fridge, and iron and an ironing board. A modern hairdryer as it was ancient and stopped working on the last day).

Staff at reception were all friendly and helpful. Well located just off Grand Place on a side street, so property is fairly quiet.

The staff is very rude and arrogant.
    • Classic Twin Room

The staff is very rude and arrogant. I complaint about AC . The guy at reception told me he can’t do anything . You talk to management. I was told that AC is not working from last one month.My suggestion is never stay in this hotel . I am travelling to Europe from last 10 years. I never complains. This was my worst stay so far.

Couldnt asked for a better location
    • Classic Queen Room

The staff that checked in us was very rude!!! But the other staffs we met after him are not.. So i can judge all the staff were rude only that one person.. No air con like advertises on booking.com!!!

The location is perfect! Near Grand Palace that means near everywhere!! Lots of shops and restaurant nearby. Near tram and metro station. The room size was ok. The price was quite fair compared to the room we get.

Great location near Central Station, and, all the action
    • Classic Twin Room

It took three rooms to find one clean or fresh linens. A/C did not work so tried to sleep with windows open and noise from pubs made it difficult to sleep.

Great location near Central Station, and, all the action

I liked the location of the hotel, because it was near the...
    • Classic Twin Room

My room was underground, and the way to go there was a bit complicated. Also, in the first night, the temperature was extremely cold and I couldn’t turn off the air conditioner. Anyhow it was fixed by the staff the next night it was fixed by the staff. The price was high for what’s offered.

I liked the location of the hotel, because it was near the city center and the central train station.

ΤΗΕ LOCATION
    • Classic Queen Room

I BOOKED A STANDARD ROOM AND IT WAS BELOW LEVEL...( -1) i SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN THIS OPTION. i SHOULD HAVE BEEN ASKED IF I WANTED A ROOM IN THE BASEMENT...!!!!

ΤΗΕ LOCATION

Will definitely stay again

Nothing not to like

I travelled with my college age daughter. The room and bathroom were very spacious, the location was perfect a quick walk from the train station when we arrived and within walking distance to everything we wanted to see. The staff was friendly and whenever we asked for directions they were very knowledgeable. Also the WiFi was great.

Near all the central sights we wanted to see.
    • Classic Queen Room

Couldn’t get WiFi to work. Asked at reception but I still failed to connect during the 2 nights we stayed. The safe in the room was not working. Reception said they knew about it and none of the safes in the hotel worked. The air conditioning was either very inefficient or not working. However a fan was present in the room which was good.

Near all the central sights we wanted to see. The art galleries, the cathedral and great bars and restaurants. So great location near Gare central.

Alma is the best. Place + people = perfect!
    • Classic Twin Room

The room was a bit darker, yet that might be because I preffered quiet room thus got one looking into yard (and quiet it was, thanks again for that). Also, most of the space at desk was occupied by TV, complicating a bit writting work, but that's only a minor issue, in comparisson with how great the stay at Alma was - if I ever return, I book again with you :-)

Great locality in the centre, close to public transport and to bars, yet in a quiet street away from noise. I was there for business trip and couldnt complain! Amazing personnel - helpful, smilling, kind! Room was ok, sufficiently equipped and nicely cleaned every day. The breakfasts were great - plain and simple, but with good variety and tasty things. Although the choice is the same always, I was there whole week and didnt have to take one thing twice!

I stayed one night only and I really enjoyed it!

No complains at all

I stayed one night only and I really enjoyed it! The staff was helpful the room clean and really comfortable, bed, pillow, bathroom.. and I had a awesome view! I payed for breakfast cause I wanted to and it was worthy .. eggs, bacon, croissant etc. really good. I'll be back to Brussels and I'll stay there. Oh, and also so close to the Grand Place and bars, restaurants.

I won't stay again
    • Classic Queen Room

1) Unfriendly Staff. 2) Staff would not bring the ironing board to my room. I had to come downstairs and take it myself and iron in the lounge area. The iron was useless, there was no water available for me to put water into the iron. The board did not have any padding. It's fair to say my shirt was more creased than before I even attempted to iron it. 3) The hairdryer would cut out after 1 minute due to over heating then take 15 minutes to coold down. Impossible to dry your hair. 4) The drain was clogged in the shower so I showered with the water up to my ankle - it was disgusting. 5) I was provided one tiny bar of soap and 2 shampoos. Yet there was nowhere to put these in the shower. It would have been useful to have had one body wash!

Location. 3 minute walk from Grand Place

The optional breakfast was reasonably priced and very good.
    • Classic Twin Room

They told me that they couldn't control the thermostat from their location. The room was hot in the afternoon.

The optional breakfast was reasonably priced and very good. There was always someone at the front desk. Ideal location close to most of the venues.

Perfect location, next to Grand Plaza
    • Classic Twin Room

The bathroom floor was very dirty. The hairdryer was not working. Considering the overall services it was not cost-effective.

Perfect location, next to Grand Plaza

Lovely hotel.
    • Classic Twin Room

No air con so can be humid when its warm weather (which it was!) There was an event on at grand place and the music could be hear from my room - not a problem for me, but maybe for others

Lovely hotel. I had a large room with a view! The staff are all very friendly and the rooms were clean & modern... fantastic location - would reccomend!!

Worst hotelroom EVER
    • Classic Queen Room

Most rediculous hotelroom I have ever stayed in. There was another room INSIDE my room, with GLASS! So you can just wave at eachother as you leave the shower. Tried to get another room at the reception, got the most ignorant and stupid answer ever about a 'technical issue'. An entire room in my room is not a technical issue. No change of rooms, or compensation of any kind was offered. Paid full price. Never stay here.

Close to Grand Place but quietly located
    • Classic Twin Room

My room was in the basement with very limited window light and the lighting in the room was inadequate. It also felt cold and on the morning I left there was no hot water available. I may have been allocated a basement room because I asked to be away from street noise. The rooms above ground level may of course be very different, and I did have a good night's sleep. However, I consider the room I occupied was hugely overpriced for what it was. I did not have a breakfast so cannot comment on that.

Conveniently situated close to Grand Place and only a short walk from the railway station. The staff were friendly, polite and helpful. My room was quiet and spacious and the bed was very comfortable.

4.0
    950 euro per 4 nights
    • Classic Twin Room

950 euro per 4 nights Cold room- no heating, just electric heater added (lasted 30 minutes to heat the room to adequate temperature. Cold bathroom- needed to move the heater. Cold floor- no slippers available. No working desk and chair available. Wifi needed complicated login every 30? minutes. Price-to-value very poor.

• Classic Queen Room

The bathroom had mold on the walls, which was not nice. The room was a little bit cold, as there was only an electrical heater. The room was in a triangular shape, which is awkward. The breakfast was 10 euros.

The location is the best part of the hotel, and the room was of good size. It is close to several restaurants, two blocks from the main square and the Hard Rock Cafe, and very close to the central station and two parkings. The bed was comfortable.

Overrated hotel. Only positive is location and helpfull staff.
    • Duplex Room

Bad isolation. Loud neighbours and drunks in the street waking us in the middle of the night. Pillows too thick to sleep on. Staff did everything they could to help but had no means. Not advisable if you want a good night sleep. They also made us pay in advance. First time I see this in many years.

Good location. We needed it for our work

Can't give anything less than a 10
    • Classic Queen Room

The room is very clean and spacious, the bed is comfortable, the personnel is friendly, and the location is awesome; right next to the Grand Place. Huge thanks to the staff because a) they likely gave us the best room they have (on the 5th floor) with an awesome view of the city center b) they allowed us to check in earlier (around 12:00) without any extra cost, since the room was already available We enjoyed our stay and we look forward to visit Belgium again!

Lovely little hotel, great location and nice staff
    • Classic Queen Room

The toilet flush in our room was so weak it wouldn’t even flush toilet paper away, had to always use reception lobby toilet which was 5 floors away

Amazing staff and location, very helpful, reception staff were great

very central, 2 steps away from Grand Place.
    • Classic Twin Room

the water in the shower took a long time to heat up. the place is dated and there are some mold issues in the bathrooms. could use some renovation.

very central, 2 steps away from Grand Place. clean and spacious room.

Excellent location.
    • Classic Twin Room

Excellent location. Clean, comfortable basic rooms. Friendly staff. Met expectations. 2 minutes to main square but not on heavily trafficked street. Close to other less touristed Brussels squares.

No frills but in a conveniently central and quiet location.
    • Classic Twin Room

Only used my room to sleep after a long night out, take a shower, and leave. In doing that found nothing to complain about.

No frills but in a conveniently central and quiet location. Spacious tidy room and bathroom, comfy bed. Reception open round the clock.

Good located, decent hotel in with some inconveniences in the room.
    • Classic Twin Room

Very loud AC system, I had to turn it off to sleep comfortably which meant it was cold in the room (I preferred that). The windows did not muffle the outside noise - I heard each truck. Breakfast for all hotel guests served at one long table - not really convenient.

Hotel is situated in nice location, nearby central station. As expected room in average quality. Breakfast quite decent but not outstanding.

Nice hotel between Central Gare and Grand Place
    • Classic Queen Room

There is a weird request to sign receipt after you have already paid it with credit card+ PIN code.

Location is superb. Staff was most helpful. At the time I visited Brussels it was snowing, however in the room there were two extra heaters so it was warm. Breakfast option cost 10 eur and you get buffet of bacon, eggs, yogurt, juice, coffee, fruits, bread, croissants...

• Classic Queen Room

Shower needs to be fixed. Toilet overall needs renovation

Excellent location just 2 minutes walking distance from Grand Place and many restaurants and pubs are in the same street. Easy access to metro station about 5 minutes walking. Rooms are big and very clean, staff are friendly and helpful

Great location and price, but a bit sacrifice on comfort.
    • Classic Twin Room

It was very plain, and not comfortable at all. The walls were literally bare, and it was the worst hotel bed I can remember sleeping on. The bed was situated loft-style directly above the rest of the room, and it was not easy moving up and down between the two.

The location and the price are the reasons to stay here. Literally a stone's throw from the Grand Place and a couple blocks' walk from Central station make it ideal. The prices are quite remarkable given the surrounding properties as well. The cleanliness was good.

Nice stay in the center of Brussels
    • Classic Queen Room

The reception of the WiFi was good in our room. The only downside was that you had to login after every 4 hours, getting a new username and password. It's probably better and easier to set a general password for everyone.

The location of the hotel was perfect! Very close to the touristic areas. Lots of restaurants and shops nearby. Our room was very nice, super quiet and we got new towels every day. The bed was very comfortable as well!

Convenient and perfect for our stay apart from hearing everything that happened next door to us
    • Classic Queen Room

Walls paper thin we could hear our neighbors coughing next door and heard every time their bed moved.

I Loved the staff, so nice and friendly and helpful. Excellent location Very nice lounge room

My second time in Brussels n this time take Alma.
    • Classic Twin Room

My second time in Brussels n this time take Alma. Nice n good looking. Very Good location. Just Wifi will disconnected sometimes need to re-log in(no big deal, take less than a minute). I will come back if next trip to Brussels. Courage to the property

Cheap and central, clean rooms and kind people. Very bad (at least at Hotel Aris) Internet/WiFi
    • Classic Twin Room

Almost no power socket in the room. But only big issue was the WiFi. It was free, but some service/protocols are blocked, and basically only Web browsing really worked (e.g., email did not). And also it was really, really, reeaaally slow!

Cleanliness, kindness of the staff, position (right in the city centre) and how cheap it was (compared to what's around)

• Classic Queen Room

For the fourth time we were staying at the Alma Hotel, we were satisfied with the location, which is comfortable for us. The last time we received two rooms, both of them were divided into two floors (the bathroom was upstairs). One of them was on the fourth floor and the other one (503) on the 5th floor. After this experience, we asked for the possibility to be accommodated in rooms without a staircase. Unfortunately, this condition was not fulfilled. Again we got the room 503. In this room there is a very narrow, winding, spiral staircase leading into the bathroom. The bathroom is completely non-ventilated and without a window. If it is necessary, it is dangerous to go sleepy to the toilet at night. The second room was spacious, but unfortunately very noisy. In the wall next to the cupboard, there is obviously a kind of ventilation that produces continuous noise - especially at night it is difficult to sleep. In the morning after the first night we tried to solve this problem with the receptionist who promised to help us. When we returned to the hotel in the evening, there was another receptionist, who didn´t want to hear nothing about it, he said we should have done it in the morning. When we told him that we have done it in the morning, he finished promptly our discussion. During our stay in the hotel, nobody tried to solve our problem. So my recommendation, if you want to stay in the Hotel Alma, you definitely avoid the rooms 501 and 503. Next time I will definitely choose another hotel.

Perfect location but really noisy
    • Classic Twin Room

The room was not really heated. I was a little bit cold. Location is perfect but of course noisy. Couldn't really sleep. I was hearing everything that was happening outside AND inside the hotel. It is nice that the reception is open 24/7 but when I came back a 2 AM under the rain, I had to wait for 5 minutes because no one was there to open the door. It's a pity. Guess they could add a ring bell.

Location is really convenient. It is close to the Grand Place so everything you need is less than 5-minutes walking. The staff was friendly and room big enough.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2018

Location, quiteness, nice staff
    • Classic Twin Room

The furniture was really basic. The bathroom was a bit cold.

Location, quiteness, nice staff

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

The location was the best possible.
    • Classic Queen Room

The location was the best possible.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Location and very courteous staff

A/c was not working

Location and very courteous staff

Great location, clean & simple

Great location, clean & simple

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

The best location and value
    • Duplex Room

Excellent location close to Centrale train station and Grand Place with all the attractions. Great value and includes breakfast.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Location perfect but the facilities not that much
    • Classic Queen Room

The key should be left at the reception before each time you want to go out .. no mini bar very basic room

Room in basement and ambience of the hotel

Room in basement and ambience of the hotel

Location to restaurants and attractions.
    • Classic Queen Room

Noise from street - room could do with bit of an upgrade - especially carpet

Location to restaurants and attractions.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Time of Breakfast... Not early enough

Location was Great

Very close to Grand Place

Very close to Grand Place

The location is fantastic.
    • Classic Queen Room

The location is fantastic. It is minutes from the Grand Place and all of the shopping and eating close by.

Nice location between the Central Station and Grand Place
    • Classic Twin Room

Strange construction of shower curtain (room 301)

Location and croissants at breakfast

Location, location, location!

Teapots leaked

Location, location, location! Good clean rooms, no traffic noise, and so close to everything.

Browse Alma Grand Place Hotel traveller photo gallery