Reviews of Hotel Aristote 2 stars

5.5

5.2

5.2

6.1

It was a bad choice as the room was not clean, WIFI never worked and the receptionist proves it works on his mobile but no use. Also, the wardrobe was broken already. Overall, it is not value for money

There is nothing to say

No issues

Good location - 10 minute walk from train station and short walk to main square. Close to shops, cafes, resturants. Felt safe walking back in evening. Basic room but was all i needed. Nice staff - was able to leave my luggage when arrived in the morning before check-in.

the wifi was a bit bad, kept disconecting, and only good for sending messages and watch text based websites. I did not manage to watch full youtube videos with my connection.

the location was excelent, you can walk to manneken piss and grand place easily, and about 10 minutes walking to gare du midi station, and close to Jeu De Balle Flea Market, which i also recommend seeing. I didnt use the lunch and breakfast option, so I can't comment on that.

The beds were the most uncomfortable things ever! Also some things in the bathroom were broken and the doors had some holes in them. Not very clean.

Good size rooms and a good location. Staff was nice.

Basic, dark corridors, ceilings too low on top floor, couldn't open cupboard fully because the eves were in the way, hairs and crumbs in the draws, shower filled up with water, not draining properly, window blind broken, no coffee/tea making facilities

Close to train station, nice view out of loft window

Malfunctioning bath light; dripping shower head; extremely uncomfortable pillow

Cheap hotel with an excellent location just a few minutes walk away from Gran Place

They said credit card machine was broken. They wanted me to waste time looking for bank to get cash. They then took the money in my credit card later anyway without telling me and then told me I could pay tomorrow when it was already paid! Television didn't work despite following all the instructions on their sheet. No soap in dispenser in shower. Very scruffy and broken furniture. No air conditioning. Very dirty bed bases.

Near train station.

They do not accept credit cards and ask for payment just after arrival. I did not have enough money for 3 nights in cash with me, so they insist to pay at least first night.

The hotel is located in a beautiful peaceful square

Single room I got was tiny, booked this last minute, so thought going for bit cheaper option. but for the price may be too low quality. The facilities need fully renovation as probably decades old. Hallway upstairs was pitch black, and we are suppose to find the switch which is also below eye line.

Very close to the metro and also pretty central.10 min walk you are in the gran place square.

Some mysterious tax on top of the bill, staff now willing to use the CC terminal, and not trying to give the change after being paid cash.

View, location

The staff did not speak english. I was told to pay by cash only becouse allegedly the payment terminal does not work (but when I did not agreed and did not want to go and look for cash machine it turned out that the terminal works... ). The room was very small and dark. Bed wasnt comfortable at all and the bathroom was very old. It was quite cheap but still in this price I would expect a better standard..

Very good location.

Staff entered the room without knocking and caught me by surprise. The room had no natural sunlight (small window looked out on stairwell). You can see from some peoples pictures that the box spring is directly on the floor and without a cover so the bottom of the bed is all dark and dirty. It really disgusted me. Front desk person upon checkin seemed generally confused.

Short distance from train station and main tourist areas.

the beds are worn-out. The check-in process is ridiculous. They do a copy of your passport, you need to pay upfront and the local hotel tax needs to be paid in cash only (possibly to dodge taxes I suppose)

Good location close to the city centre

The other staff couldn't (wouldn't?) speak English or Dutch / Flemish. The interior is outdated, there is a lack of sockets. I left after 1 night because in the room they gave me; there was a bloodstain on the pillow and under the pillow I found a bed bug (see the photo). I got a new room with no windows.. So overall I had a bad experience with this hotel.

In the staff there was only 1 lady who could talk English. She helped me out with the bed bugs I saw in the first room.

There was not good refit for a long time. In our room the door opened very hard because of swollen parquet. Old plumbing. The mattress were very dirty, but linens were nice and clean enough and room cleaning was every day.

Very good location of the hotel. Throw small window I looked to the street with cafes and fountain. There are a lot of stores, cafes near. It’s in 15 minutes from train station, in 5 minutes from metro and in 10 minutes from center of the city. Free maps on reception. Nice personal. Lifting.

I found some issues with cleanliness, the room was cold and central heating was not working, only warm (not hot!) water, slow wifi.

The location of hotel is perfect.

Bathroom, electrical system, and shower have to be renewed asap. Even being quite cheap is still expensive compared to what you get. Go somewhere else. I am surprised Booking.com accepts these places...

The bed was the only thing clean.

Unfriendliness of the staff, dirty room, dirty toilet and the bathtub. Broken handles, rotten door, hair in the tub. Sunken old dented mattress. There was a dead fly on the floor, floor was warped. The pillows had brown hair dye (I think and hope). Hotel isn’t welcoming, people weren’t welcoming except one person, the black lady.

the location was ok.

It could use some renovation, better interior design for rooms. Also hallways could use more light. Tv did not work, and they could leave some instructions for guesses at room.

It is in great location. 8 minutes walk and you are in center. Also it's cheep so for those who want to save money just go ahead and book this place.

The bed is not great.. you probably wake up with a little back pain.

Price-quality is ok, the hotel is old but is warm and doesn’t have any kind of smell..

• Standard Single Room

The hotel is highly overpriced. I am quite surprised that it is a three-star hotel. The room is very small. The floor (plastic) parquet was damaged at the entrance. I could not find any plugs. Hence, I had to unplug the TV in order to be able to charge my computer.

The location of the hotel is very good. It close to almost everything: shopping area where there are many malls. Night life: place sainte Catherine is not far away. In addition, there are many restaurants nearby. Finally, it is well connected by metro and bus to other parts of the city.

• Standard Single Room

When I was about to leave, there was noone in the reception and I had to wait 20 minutes. When I asked my key the man at the reception laughed at my French.

I stayed in a room with one bed for two nights. It was quiet, clean and convenient. There was hot water all the time.

You want basic you’ve got it! Great location, however it’s cheap and nasty. Not somewhere for a romantic trip with

Great location - good price, but that is reflected in the quality

Not very clean. The cover of the bed and also the blanket in the wardrobe were dirty. Floor, walls, doors and furniture were broken in some part.

Location. 5-10 minutes walking to the center.

Lift was very small, and room was fairly small. This was fine for my husband and I but as we brought out 1 year old with us it was small.

Staff were friendly and helpful

The facility and furniture was very old, the room is small.

The location is very good, the hotel is 5-10 min walking from the city center. There are a lot of restaurants in the near.

Slow WLAN

Simple and small rooms. But absolutely ok for the price offered. Personnel was extremely friendly and willing to help me with every issue I had.

Exellent location - not far from the city centre and close to the train station Gare du Midi as well, great staff, many good bars and restaurants around, including the great Cafe Bebo (opposite the hotel).

The outlet for electricity was hard to reach. A bit more pressure in the shower would have made things more pleasant.

Hotel Aristote has a perfect location. On your way from Brussel Midi to the centre. The hotel itselfs is small and has seen better times. Many things are worn out (floors, furniture) and never have been a very high standard. But it is clean and very affordabel. And the staff did everything to be helpful. Around the hotel are many nice bars and restaurants.

Room without a window, very old hotel , dirty room and curtains ripped .

When I arrived the room proposed was without window. I can´t sleep without an window I suffer claustrofobia. Finally they changed my room.

The room was dirty, dark and had a musty smell. The furniture was damaged, the floor boards coming up, the washroom had a rusty metal box in it. The box spring was grey and the mattress, covered by only a thin, worn sheet was stained and smelly. The receptionist was strange and awkward. At one point, I key was put into the door of the room and only when the person was shouted at, did they stop trying to enter the room. Terrifying that the place is actually open.

There really was absolutely nothing good about this accommodation and it should not be open to host people.

I stayed at this hotel a few years ago and then it was clean and nice. Since then, it has gone down a steep hill. In my room, there had been a water leakage and the floor in front of the bathroom was still damaged and repulsive. In the ceiling of the bathroom, there was a brown water stain from the floor above. The bathroom has fungus and was dirty, There was not single electrical socket in my room to charge a computer.

The pillows were quite soft, and we had a room overlooking the street, which means that there was constantly some sort of noise coming throughout the night and into the early morning (ex. people shouting outside, workers who were blowing away leaves in the morning). The wifi also left a lot to be desired, with the internet struggling to let us perform basic things. So definitely don't think you'll be doing any work here (be that a good thing or a bad thing).

The location was comfortable - it was only 15mns away from the railway station. Opposite the hotel there were a few restaurants as well where one could eat, this was especially useful on the first night.

Besides the staff and location there was nothing good in the hotel as the building and rooms are very old and they need renovetion , all the electric equipments are outdated and sometimes it was scary to use them. The floor is damaged as you can see from the potos. The rooms are cleaned on a daily basis but it does not help because the walls, floor and curtains are full of dust fumes. I dont find the hotel to be value for money, because in the same price range there are several hotels in that area with better services, more comfortable and clean rooms. Especially, when price does not include city tax and breakfast.

The staff was very helpful and they easily agreed on my request about early check in. Also helped me to get Taxi service. The location of the hotel is normal, you can easily get to city center.

The beds were like concrete slabs! Other hotel guests had absolutely no respect for others staying at this hostel. Banging at stupid hours, shouting, music playing! Just disgusted! The staff were really unhelpful. I demand a full refund. I have complained to the hotel and still await their reply.

Nothing. It was absolutely disgraceful.

I could write a novel if I went into detail so here is the brunt of it. The bathroom smelt of urine, the toilet paper was never replenished so we had to buy our own. Everything was falling apart, from holes in the bathroom door being stuffed with toilet paper and the room door handle almost falling off. Speaking of, the toilet flush handle was missing. It was just a screw you pulled up on. There were rips and cigarette burns in the curtains, and the beds were like sleeping on a wooden board. The street noise was insanely loud late at night and closing the windows did nothing. (We live downtown in our home city so it's not like we're not use to it, but the windows should have helped). Now onto the staff who were very curt. We had to hand in our key whenever we left the hotel which we were not informed of beforehand. The main woman we dealt with then pulled out the little sheet of paper we signed and pointed to it (it was in French, which we speak very little of) as if proving herself right was all she cared about. Paying was also very difficult. We booked through booking.com and the hotel only took a deposit. I offered to pay right away when we got in and she kept telling us "you can do it later". Ugh I'm here and my money is here so I paid right there, but it was a hassle to get to that point. The next day she's there again and as we're leaving for the day she says, "are you going to finish paying?". Well what the hell did I do when I first came into this horror hotel? Apparently that was only a portion and the rest had to paid in cash only. It was all very confusing and not well communicated at all. TL;DR - It felt like we could've been murdered in our hotel room. Do not waste your money.

The best part of this hotel was the proximity to Grand Place and other note worthy sights. Actually no, the best part was when we left.

No one is nice, they keep your keys as you leave the hotel, my room had a giant infiltration on the floor and the bed is the most uncomfortable I've ever sleep on.

The only good things are the location (very central) and the price.

Everything. Rooms were goofy and looked like a haunted house. But you want to hit the sack for one night at a cheap price and at a good location then you can go for this.

The location.

needs refurbishing everywhere. was dirty with pubic hair in the toilet and on the toilet floor.

the receptionist guy was really smily and gentle. not so much a woman and other older guys at the reception

Dirty, warm water, slow wifi, rotten floors, stinked like old socks, lights were weak, tv didnt work. And best of all... After the cleaner cleaned the room she left our door open...

Only thing good was the location to the city

I spent there one night only. I believe it was a cheapest room - so, it was Ok as a basic shelter. However spending there more time, including a day hours would be difficult - it was a dark small room with window to the shadowed staircase.

The room we stayed in had the parquet bloated with parts of it missing right at the entrance,in the area of the bathroom,probably due to a water incident.It seemed like it had been like that for a while.It certainly needs to be changed.

Nice location,clean rooms,very close to Grand Place and the old city center

I booked a single room last moment before the trip, and that was the only reasonable priced city centre option for the needed dates. I am not for a bed in a common hostel room, and did not want to pay twice as much for something a little better. However, it was not too hot yet, and during the hot period the room would be impossible - tiny room facing a wall with too little air. Recommendations for other travelers - it is a strict No for the hot season, strict No if you need to leave there anything of any value (the room faces an outside staircase an looks very easy to get into from the outside through the window from that staircase).

Good things - the bed was very comfortable, the room was really clean as for a pretty shabby state of repair (very clean bedlinen, towels etc), extremely helpful, nice and friendly staff, and a proper writing desk that is often missing even in top hotels. Did not check the breakfast as being a tourist was more interested to have just a biscuit, fruit and water in the morning, and a coffee in some nice place later. The hotel is ten minutes from Brussels Midi railway station and easy to find - look at street numbers as there is no big logo Aristote at the building. The room was quiet in general, though there was some noise some time at night, maybe from some machinery - but no street noise in this single room (other room may face the street and may have street noise - but maybe also bigger windows).

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Breakfast is fine: coffee orange juice yogurt fresh croissant and baguette, missing fresh fruit. Very good value hotel, extremely simple but friendly and reliable. Wifi works fine. Very well placed, 10 mins walk from Gare de Midi, 3 mins from metro/tram and 10 mins from Grande Place and Bourse

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Bed is not comfortable. Mattrass is way too hard.

I liked the landlady and the way she communicated with me. She was extremely pleasant, helpful and willing to assist - she gets all the credits! Hotel location is very good, close to all sightseeing places. Walking distance to some EU institutions (no more than 30 min brisk walk), which I found relaxing in combination with my business stay.

For the price nothing

Great location 8 minutes walk to the heart of the Brussels (Grand Place) Next to street of outdoor cafe's. 24 hour reception = no issues of not getting in

The place is really shabby, but even when you don't mind shabby - a place should be clean. I arrived in my room and could see that the bathroom had been used and had not been cleaned (toilet!!!). Terribly disgusting!!

Friendly staff

Room very basic, small, no toiletries, no mini-bar, only 1 wooden chair to put clothes on overnight. Bathroom spartan, nowhere to put clothes on, no chair, no hooks, no shelf for toilet bag or soap

Staff friendly and helpful to a degree. Not much local knowledge though. Hot shower

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

room was not clean, TV was not functioning, very old style and not renovated, mold in the bathroom, hot water did not come the second day, and only on power plug in the entire room so either I charge my phone or my laptop and the room did not have proper ventilation !!!!!!

location and staff

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Bathroom is not renovated for at least 20 years, no staff (shampoo, bath gel etc), very small room, hotel is located in a quite dangerous area, whenever it is real center.

Located 5 minutes from Central place, multilingual reception, fast confirmation, every day room service.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

We went late at night. The receptionist did not speak english. Awfull room,dirty with 1 bed and 1 old cot,filthy blankets. Old bathroom with dirty stains on the ceiling. Located next to a dirty square and a street full of noise late at night. We left the next day,early in the morning!

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

Room had a strong smell of smokes. Not clean. Many spider nets on the walls and in every corner. Everything in the room is out of date and really needs renovation.

Location and price.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

There were so many wrongs that it displeases me to think about them. The floor had swollen up and I could barely enter the room. There were weird electric wires coming out of the bathroom walls. It smelled of cigarettes and the smoke detector had been tampered with and was hanging from the ceiling. There was only one socket in the room. It was not necessarily dirty but it was neither clean. In short our room (supposedly 16 - the 6 had dropped) was a dump!

The location is ok. The staff is helpful.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

The facility is relatively old, not so well maintained; the bathroom would need some renovation

The central location, about 10 minutes walk to the Grand Place, metro and central train station. 24 hour staff were friendly (although I didn't talk too much). Local WiFi was reasonably fast.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

The room had only a tiny window and you literally could only see a staircase from it and thus the room was without nearly any daylight. There was mold in some edges. The floor of the room was in a really bad shape. The night staff couldn't speak English at all. And last but not least: the bed was hard like a stone.

Location close to the Grand Place.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

Very friendly service, fast check-in. Hotel very good and peaceful. No problem he received in addition to the room set of plates and cutlery. I would recommend :)

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Probably got what I paid for. It was a single room and it was one of the cheapest listed but value for money? Maybe it's normal for Brussels but seemed a lot for a tiny, tired single room. It was very bleak, cramped and poorly furnished. It was clean and en-suite but it really was a depressing. The area is also a bit bleak but it is at least convenient and ok for a young single traveller who isn't going to spend much time in the room.

Excellent location. 10 minute walk to Grand Place. Not far from Gare Midi. Easy to find. The road has little traffic so it's quiet. Room was quiet but that's probably because it had only a tiny window looking into an air shaft. Breakfast was an extra and wasn't too bad. 24 hour porterage and the staff were friendly and helpful although I didn't ask for much. But it was warm and clean. Wifi in room worked.

Everything in this hotel made me even not think to come and sleep in my room

I don't like anything in this hotel . It was a big mistake and it not ur level booking .com

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

Bathroom wasn't clean. The floorboards were broken and made it easy to trip. The floor would've probably been more comfortable than the bed if it wasn't so dirty..

Location was decent

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

The atmosphere of the hotel was, how should I say, weird at least. They kept the hotel closed at all times, I don`t know was it because of thieves?? The rooms had been updated maybe in the late 50`s. First room (I had to change my room) had a broken shower which caused some water damage. The second room had no working heating device, so as it was minus centigrades outside, this was not such a nice thing. Rooms in pretty bad shape and dirty. But anyhow, I guess even if the hotel is cheap,you can expect even some sort of basic hygiene? Not much else.

The location of this hotel is very good (easy to access by train or flight), just between the central station and city center. At christmas time the christmas market was also located really near. Easy to walk to almost all of the attractions of the city.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

The breakfast was not nice. Old cheese and cereal. For the price of it you can eat better outside. The bed was too hard for us.

The personal was very nice, they allow us to leave our backpacks in the reception after doing the checkout. They help us with maps and directions.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

The shower was broken in the toilet, needs to be fixed. room is too small, but still good value for money, in terms of location.

Very supportive staff, positive attitude and helpful. Location is good for travelers from South Asia, Middle East and North Africa in terms of finding good food outlets, etc. 15 minutes walk from Central or South station

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

The room to one person is really need a complet renovations. The bathroom was like builted at least 60 years ago and only renovated the really-really necessary parts. The parquett was broken in the half of the room. The bed was hard.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Extras like the breakfast on the expensive side, payment requested at the arrival in advance

Te hotel is rundown but kept clean and the location is excellent, few minuted from the hearth of town.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

It is way too expensive for the actual place, I mean is really old, and it is clear decadent. It is just not the best place to spend money to. I would hope that they improve, but I honestly don't think so. It's a pity, it could be quite nice ( or at least good enough), with effort, but is not.

It is central

not a lot of facilities, room is small with no window (just a little one with no street view) => ok if you need only a place to sleep

good location (near the midi train station), nice staff.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

Found facility to be shabby and in disrepair. Floor outside bathroom was damaged and warped. Smelled of cigarette smoke. Noisy & hot.

Location was close to Grand Place.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

Nothing really but I wish it was a bit closer to the main area of city ..

It is a beautiful place clean excellent service and very comfortable . I loved staying there

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

As mid summer heat I kept the bedroom window open. Street outside became active early in morning.

Great location, easy access to main sites. Good buffet breakfast. Good and stable wifi. Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

A lot of migrants in the area - it's rather close to the railway station.

It's very close to the city center. Very tasty and not expensive breakfast.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

Almost everything in the room and in the bathroom somehow broken or in bad condition. We found the towels from the previous guest on the floor of the bathroom and we had to ask for clean ones.

Room without Windows ...

Close to center

Poorly maintenance

NA

Location, staff was helpful, cleanliness and accessories was sufficient.

Hotel is very tired and basically needs a refurbishment.

Good location close to Grand Place.

Browse Hotel Aristote traveller photo gallery