Reviews of Hotel Auberge Van Strombeek 3 stars

5.5

4.8

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Ok for one night

Smoke smell in the room, greasy floor, bathroom door was broken, very noisy, this place needs some renovation.

Bed were clean and cozy. Parking. Vending machine. Staff

Disgusting, filthy and unpleasant stay. Wouldn't recommend at all!

Everything... The place is run down and really dirty! I believe the bed sheets weren't clean in the 1st room I was given, I found hair and they smelt. The receptionist not once addressed me in a polite way and I couldn't wait to go in the morning

Nothing at all! The 1st room I was given was one of the most disgusting rooms I was given ever! I tried to get a refund (without too much expectation) but was offered an "upgrade" which was just slightly better. It was too late to argue!

Nice one night trip

The hotel wasn't actually a hotel . It was more like an old big house/pension. Not much renewed inside ,nor outside. The staff was friendly with me ,i talked to him more,but ,initially ,he was rigid and a little bit cold with us. The electronic card ,for opening the door, didn't work at first. He then repaired it. The curtains were half fallen at the window.

We stayed just one night so i tell it from my point of view .The bathroom was modern. It had a functionable hair dryer and clean towels, soap and all . The bed sheet looked like it was new and it smelled nice also. Eveything was pretty clean actually. The location was nice and quiet and near the bus / metro station.

Awfull

The room was never clean, even when they changed the bed sheets they were always dirty. Walls are ready to fall and the closet was ready to collapse as well. The beds were practically a matress on a matress and that was it.

The low amount I paid.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Good position and at the time the lowest price in the city.

It was very hot and when we opened the window, we had to improvise to darken the room.

Good position and at the time the lowest price in the city. Check-in and check out were super fast. We also appreciated the free parking space.

Horrible & dirty hotel

It was an old hotel and it need lots of work to be lik average 3 star hotel. Beds were broken and very very old , bathroom and toilet both 1 meter! I couldn't getting, tv was not working, I felt bad smell in the room then i found out the smell were coming from the cupboard because it was full of dirty blankets and pillows, no AC in the room so it was very hot but they had table fan which was making noise like tractors, however i was very tired after long journey so I managed 1 night there but then I changed the hotel to the much better one and not much different with the price. Also no good management which I didn't know who is the front desk person as there was no any specific person with uniform. I would not recommend this hotel!

Nothing at all !!

Look for an other hotel, really.
    • Budget Double Room

Parking was extremely dirty! Receptionist didn't talk much English, was very unhelpful. No power for the TV, when that was fixed: No signal... (during soccer match) No dinner, only pizza round the corner (Ibis hotel) or take out. Hotel is going bankrupt in one year. Mark my words!

Not clean enough

The floors were cleary not cleaned properly. There were pizza cumbles and fruit residues everywhere. I moved the bedside table to plug my charger and it was full of dust and a bobby pin.

The staff was friendly. The bed was ok.

disaster
    • Deluxe Double Room

I have never experienced in my live a hotel room like this. Toilet broken and not repaired; The toilet was up to the top full of a mixture of water and urine; The shower was in very poor state aith no protection shield; The bathroom was not cleaned; Smooked cigarettes were still on the ground. The smell was unbearable. The receptionist in the evening was not willing to help. Public Toilet light was broken. I can other guests and also booking.com only recommend to tatke this hotel of the list.

Great location but shuold be cheaper.

My keys to building were not working at night but stuff was not sleeping ;) nevertheless hot water is just few minutes. Shower is very small. I still recommend as location is awsome for EXPO. Should be thogh cheaper.

Location ! Its just 300 m from Expo!

Ouuuuuuuf
    • Deluxe Double Room

I do did not like the noise when they make breakfast in the morning, moreover, the bathroom door is broken. The morning attendant was also knocking at the door shouting it was time to checkout before 11 am.

I like the location

Don't stay here ever!!!!
    • Budget Double Room

reception staff was unfriendly,rude, and hardly spoke english, french or dutch. we asked about breakfast for 07,00 and the answer was maybe not, not sure the room was disgustingly dirty and a safety hazard - the tv cord didn't reach the plug so someone cut the wire and spliced it into an extension cord, not that it mattered the tv didn't work anyways. the floors were sticky and gross breakfast starts at 07,00, in the morning we waited 45 mins for staff to unlock the doors to the breakfast area and there was nothing to eat we left at 08,00 not having had any breakfast, the staff still refused to reimburse us our money!!!

absolutely nothing worst hotel ever, impossible that this is a 3 star hotel 2,5 score is not low enough it should be removed from this site

Terrible. Dirty.

- Toilet/bathroom door didn't close - Electrical socket was loose - Bed was propped up with an old vault and missing a leg - Dust everywhere - Walls flaky - Toilet dirty - Sink was so close to the toilet that you couldn't actually sit - Only 2 power outlets in the room. One side of the room (and therefor 1 bed) had none.

The breakfast was okay, but you have to ask about it 20 min in advance.

Good location (near Expo). Decent value for money if you are willing to compromise on cleanliness.

I don't know what hotel standards are in Brussels, but this facility offers hostel-like quality at a reasonable price.

Good location (next to Expo). Decent value for money if you are willing to compromise on cleanliness and facilities.

1 night stay for business
    • Budget Double Room

Dirty under the bed, staff didn't speak French, impossibility to book breakfast from the booking website thus unavailable on the bill.

Proximity from Atomium

The hostel is located in the heart of Luxembourg, on a...

Uncomfortable shower. The water leaves the nozzle under the ceiling. The shower door was not closed tightly and a lot of water accumulated on the floor.

The hostel is located in the heart of Luxembourg, on a picturesque slope. Spacious and bright rooms. The rooms are nice and clean. There is parking for guests and the price of my room included breakfast.

Cold shower water

Although their English isn't very good, from the 2 employees I met, the older one "Sadik" the older one was alright, helpful and polite. The younger one, was everything but that. It almost looked like he was working there as a slave against his will. Not polite at all, not that helpful and the time of the day I saw him move more was when he was about to leave. Regarding the Hostel itself, the first person to take a shower would have the water at room temperature, not even hot. The following people that wanted to take a shower would be presented with cold water and in Belgium during the winter taking a bath with cold water isn't pleasant at all. The rooms weren't that clean or big but for what we payed it was ok I guess.

I liked the fact that public transportation is easily accessible, but that's due to the city itself not the hostel

just catch your bed, sleep, and get your plan ready for tommorow

well, what can you expect with that price in brussel. definitly good for the price and value

its fine, if you just need a bed to sleep. then tomorrow catch your trip again

I’d never stay here ever again. Don’t do it
    • Budget Double Room

Room smelled of urine, mattresses on the floor, it just wasn’t a good experience even for 100.00 euros and one night only.

This hotel was below a hostel. The rooms smelled of urine . Beds were two mattresses on the floor.

terrible
    • Budget Double Room

Everything. This was one of the worst hotel I have ever been in. The rooms were not clean, everything is very old and dirty. I won't go again.

the location - it was very close to my office

UNPLEASANT !

The whole hotel needs an urgent upgrade. The carpets on the wooden stairs to the floors were dangerous as the carpet were not secured to the stairs properly, and probably had about 30 years of wear. The room was extremely basic, with one power point beside the bed, which was hanging out the wall. The lighting was poor. The matress on the single bed was lumpy. The bathroom had an unpleasant smell. The floor looked unpleasant, and quite a shock as soon as you enter the room. As Booking.com took my payment immediately when I booked and no refund available, I could not move out. I did complain that there was no power point by the desk for my laptop, and was shown the one beside the bed.....SHOCKING !

The location and the staff were the best part of the hotel. Also the internet was working well and quite fast.

Served it's purpose, but unfortunately would not recommend.

Room, more specifically bathroom, smelled extremely damp (extractor fan didn't work). Breakfast was very limited and expensive for what was offered. Definitely needs a lick of paint and the stairs new carpet.

Room was clean and bed very comfortable. Good location 7 minutes from the Expo centre. Free wifi. Staff friendly enough and helpful.

Great hotel for a low value of money. Totally recommendable!

The bathroom was far too small. Nonetheless, everything else was perfect!

Brussels is a very big city and to find a budget hotel is definitely not a walk in the park. In the contrary, I have found this one and am very satisfied with its value for money. I loved the staff. They were very friendly. Although they could not speak 100% excellent English, they tried to communicate with me as much as they could in the friendliest way possible.

Nightmare
    • Quadruple Room

Smelly room, poor lightning. very noisy at night, no elevator, very worn off.

Nothing, only the parking was ok. But they only have 6 parking spaces we were lucky it was not full.

De gratis parkeermogelijkheden.
    • Budget Double Room

The room stinked like smoke. It was not safe leaving a window open, as the room was on the first floor and it just opened one way that people could step in easily. There were two glasses on the table and they where stucked of the dirt on the plate where they were standing on. When I picked one up, it smelled so bad that I almost had to puke. The controller of the TV was gone (I asked the reception). The persons in the hotel look nice, but unfortunately its fake. This was confirmed when they promised me to sent me the invoice 2 hours after the check out (I already asked for one at the booking) and did not. I mailed them twice, no respons. Don't go here. Better pay a bit more for a honest place, than support a rathole like this. The worst hotel in Europe I have ever been.

De gratis parkeermogelijkheden. Redelijk ruime kamer. Iets buiten de drukte en vlakbij groen.

Do not stay here unless you have no other option
    • Budget Double Room

When you flush the water from the wc, the water was pomped in the sink and shower, full with all it was in the wc. The room was very very dirty, the walls were groose, the carpet was dirty, the room was extreamly small and dirty. Do not stay there unless you have no other choice.

The only good thing is the location.

Good WiFi connection and kind stuff.

Quite old facilities. Very small and uncomfortable bathroom. I could not sit down on the toilet due to the sink. Breakfast should be from 7 am but it was not all prepared even at 7:45, missing hot water for tea, milk etc. They bring it when I have finished and leaved the hotel.

Good WiFi connection and kind stuff.

One star hotel
    • Deluxe Double Room

Worse hotel ever, bad service (barely speak any language: Bad English, no French, no Dutch...) Impossible to complain directly to them about their bad service and facilities due to language limitations. Also, close to a disco which is pumping hard bass all night and that can be heard even with closed windows

Excellent place for an overnight, very convenient if you wnat to visit Brussels Atomium and Expo.

It's all OK.

We did not take breakfast, we just stayed there as we had to get to the airport early. The place is very very OK for budget traveling.

Tried to rip me off / no hot water in the shower.

No hot water in the morning. Attempted to rip me off by charging me twice and then defended this by saying that as I had changed the booking from two people to one person this meant I was booking two rooms. Stubbornly disputed my right to a refund, had to raise a dispute with my bank and booking. com. Several hours work wasted.

Horrible place. Stay away.

During the complex and incompetent check-in process, I had to go to the toilet. The state of it should have made me change my mind and choose another hotel immediately, were I not an incurable optimist very tired of the trip. The narrow staircase to the first floor is covered by a dark reddish carpet filled with stains and dirt seemingly accumulated over many years without anyone having ever remembered to vacuum clean it, let alone wash it. The fallen off the rail curtain makes a hole through which the light enters, in room number 14. The closet is very narrow, has 3 wire hangers and a small plastic one, and a disgusting second blanket lying on the floor. The television cable loosens itself from the wall and the air is heavy. But the mattress looked comfortable and the sheets and towels in the bathroom clean enough though not ironed. I went out, then returned in the evening for a very needed night's rest. It was then that I realized the mattress and the cushions smelled very bad. I lifted a corner of the bottom sheet and saw that it was directly on top of the mattress, without any sort of protection separating my sheet and my body from the hundreds or thousands of others who had certainly slept there - and who knows what else - for decades, without anybody ever having the mattress or pillows washed or even breezed. But I was tired, I was. I would sleep, I thought, but the unbelievable noise of people going up and down the stairs (would they all wear wooden clogs?) and doors slamming throughout the night reduced my night's sleep to two half hours of sleep between many of irritation. Finally, the day was born. The ordeal was about to finish with a good shower and out to work. No, there was still the cherry on the cake: no pressure and no hot water! I reached the height of indignation and revolt when I had to slowly wash soap and shampoo out of my body and hair. I cannot comment on the breakfast. I didn’t want to see that.

I cannot find anything positive to say about this so-called "hotel", except maybe that the wifi works OK. Apart from that, this hotel should be closed urgently by the sanitary authorities and Booking should remove it from its portfolio today.

Horrible, this is a place to avoid.

I sent them a message via booking.com a week prior my arrival, to add breakfast and make invoice on my company name, but nothing was done. I still could have breakfat, but I had to pay by cash. The guy at the reception did not allowed to pay by card. The state of the room was horrible and disgusting. The lamp in the "bathroom" or better said hole, was not working, warm water was running for 1 minute and than it was finished. I mentioned this to the guy at the reception, he would look into it, but nothing happend. When I left, I looked into the closet to make sure I did not put anything there and it was disgusting, dead bugs and filth. I attach some fotos. Unfortunately there were no available rooms in other hotels, otherwise I would have left.

The only good thing, that the wifi was working.

Very but very small room.

Very but very small room. There where 2 beds and I almost couldnt fit with y 2 bags. The pictures shown and reality are totally different. And the bathroom was even smaller... And NO HOT WATER!!! I went to take a bath at 07:30 and I had hot water like for 30 seconds (not kidding) and had to finish my bath with cold water...

Quiet place safe nice region nice staff owner should invest

It seems like nothing moves there but still is the second time I come and I find it ok . A pool table that doesn't have balls, no coffee nor a little sandwich but looks that thay used to have a resto (tables, etc). You still find an automatic machine for à Coca Cola / Jupiler beer at the reception . The rooms are ok but need a better floor cleaning. Small bathrooms but still functional with warm water. Sometimes no shower gel. Shops in order to buy food drinks you find at 20 min walking

Free parking, quiet and safe environment, easy access from highway, atomium 15 minutes walking, public transport 10 min walking, intimacy. Very good place for people coming by car, coming to visit Bruxelles and not looking for luxury

The place really looks old.
    • Deluxe Double Room

The place really looks old...and the photos on the website of the hotel doesn't really show what it really looks like... the closet has bed sheet that smells of perspiration..

Very friendly staff.

The bathroom was too small and poorly arranged. It is obviously not designed for anyone over 5ft 7 or anyone with a large/ extra large build

Very friendly staff.

Poor service

I arrived at 23.10 after driving around for nearly an hour trying to find the place. I could not get it as it is unstaffed at night - not very safe I think. The phone number I called was answered by someone who had nothing to do with the hotel and could not come and let me check in. What a waste of time and money- I ended up driving through the night instead. I will not be booking this hotel again. Whatever you do- arrive before 23:00 or you will not get in- and know that the building is completely unsupervised at night.

Difficult to find- but there were some signs.

Businessman's Hell is Low-cost Traveler's Heaven
    • Quadruple Room

Lamps did not work, they were basically just decoration. Piano was old, out of tune and ghastly to play on. Overall the facility felt like desolated haunted house with webs and old dirt.

It was very cost-effective, beautiful place for low-cost travellers...

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Walking distance to the atomium, planetarium, miniature...
    • Budget Double Room

Would do with a refurb and probably customer service training for staff ;) Not that I would have expected, but the room had no: kettle, coffee etc., small toiletries, hair dryer etc.

Walking distance to the atomium, planetarium, miniature world etc. Onsite parking if you travel by car; we could see the carpark from our room (4 rooms had their widnows on that side) OK for sleep over for a night, or so. Bathroom was pretty nice comparing to the room itself and whole hotel - that would need a refurb; it looks old and scraffy... but as I said OK for a night or so! :) There was a TV - didn't check if it worked though; and a fan, which we needed and used, as it was soo hot! :)

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

I liked the quietness of the place

The hotel itself need renovations. The carpet is too agly looking too old and torn. The bathroom too tight and very small to get in. Staff don't look so helpful. Phones not working in the room told it has been like that for some time. The prices not worthy the standard of the hotel.

I liked the quietness of the place

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

HORRIBLE AWFUL "HOTEL"

It is VERY dirty and uncomfortable. The main reason of booking a room in this hotel was a comment about beds being comfortable. After 4 nights on that bed and pillows I have a stiff neck and back pain up to today.

The suburbs area in which the so called " hotel " is situated.

My stay at the auberge
    • Deluxe Double Room

On arrival, the hotel and especially its reception had a very strong smell of sewage. After questioning the reception, he didn't like it and offered no other explanation than to cancel my booking if I did not like it. I stayed as it was late but on the next day another guest that had two rooms booked cancelled his booking because their rooms were not clean and the hotel didn't even try to offer to clean them but cancelled the booking. This hotel could be even better if they could look after it and care more about their guests comfort while there. I have only stayed there because it was late and had no time to start looking for another hotel. And also booking.com said €90 but I was charged €96. They have the potential to improve and attract even more guests as they are well situated especially for travellers on short stay

The hotel was not far from the city centre and easy to access from the main road and even closer to Brussels touristic spot of antomium.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

Horrible. I am not exagerating

Usually I am not very rigid about hotels. I have been looking for them with Booking.com for many years and this is the first time I am complaining about one. In this hotel everything is bad: personnel, cleaning, old and dirty forniture, the lock of the door did not work and so on. One thing can confirm this: my friend and me have booked two rooms for three nights and we stay there for only one. Although the hotel charged the three nights in advance, we prefer to waste the money and to move to another hotel in the vecinity, in this case the Ibis Expo hotel, where we stayed the nights of Saturday 29 and Sunday 30 of April. Please take note of everything for your interest. Kind regards

Don't stay here!

Hotel is run down. Carpet on stairs was threadbare... and hotel had a strange smell upstairs. The photos on booking.com are inaccurate.

Bed was comfortable.

The staff is nice, only the staff Ilike!
    • Quadruple Room

It doesn't worth 3 stars. Dirty and crap. All dirt everywhere. Bad location. The photo seem ok but the reality...No.. it should renovate in this century!!

The staff is nice, only the staff Ilike!

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

Terrible

Literally there was no room for legs when sitting on the toiler. I had to sit side ways when using the toilet. It was ridiculous!

The shower pressure and temperature was excellent.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

Absence of electricity the entire evening + night from 21 to 22nd of March. At the reception they gave me candles, but the receptionist went home at 11 pm as usual... Cold shower the morning. I don't recommend this hotel.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

Nice guy at reception, but the electricty didn't work so...
    • Deluxe Double Room

Nice guy at reception, but the electricty didn't work so left after 4 hours a dark hotel to look for a new one, company did not reimbursted as promissed

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

Hotel locked upon arrival. Stayed at another hotel instead.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Nobody was there when I arrived and hotel was locked. Called number and got through to porter of Hotel Continental in centre of Brussels who provided me with a room for the night.

Can't comment as didn't even get through the door.

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

You get what you pay for!

Breakfast=bad! Shower=poor water pressure! No soap/shampoo=bring your own! Electrical outlets=danger!

Toiletts=ok standard, quite modern and clean! Cleaning of room=ok!

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Dirty, no comfort, no fresh breakfast, .. no value at ALL for the money .. def. no 3 stars worth it

Normally I don't complain at all cause I am easygoing, but this is just not right ... I paid 95 euros a night for the room (which is ok because it was during a holiday-fair) but the fotos on the website gotta be from 10 years ago ..., the room in general was very poor, the wallpaper was held to the wall with yellow tape, the floor was sticky and hasn't been cleaned once during my 7 days I stayed, .. the bed was sh*t, I was hanging in the bed, the shower was small and the water was coming out very poorly, the showerhead and the bar were falling down almost ... you had to close the 'accordeon-door' else you couldn't sit on the toilet. And don't forget the poor breakfast (side-cost of 10 euros) .. they prepared everything the evening before, so there was never fresh bread, .. with the slices of bread too toast you could hurt somebody because it was hard of being on the same plate 3 days ... no warm choice ..... nothing!! On the pictures the hotel looks so lively .. and there is supposed to be a bar but there arent any glasses, no music no deco, no nothing ...... it s ... waaouww!! I think they just want to take the money; but they don't care if you come back or not, .. and trust me, you will not go back. Maybe if they charge you 15 euros, .. but not for this money, no way!!

the staff was nice and the internet worked allright!!

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

beds were great

night staff unnecessarily rude bathroom is quite tiny

beds were great quiet area and hotel free parking clean rooms and hotel

Never ever go back there.

everything, the reception, the rooms, the Bed, ,,,, it seems that we travelled the time to 17th century.

Free parking available.

No separate bathroom. Shower and WC directly situated in a corner of the room.

Free parking available.

Its good for just one night, free parking in the area.

Very noisy

Its good for just one night, free parking in the area.

Hotel Auberge

The rooms arent clean and hot water stopped in the middle of my shower

The receptionist is helpful , location is okay, beds are somewhat comfortable

I got special offer so price and quality were very good

Not friendly personal

I got special offer so price and quality were very good

not clean , no services , bad security , bad security , normal prices

not clean , no services , bad security

Lovely place to stay

Lovely family b+b. Looked after us and had a great meal.

I don't know

I haven't checked in .. I need a refund ...

This kind of accomodation should not even appear on booking.com
    • Budget Double Room

Bellow Cleanliness standards, terrible smell in the...

Bellow Cleanliness standards, terrible smell in the bathrooms and cigarette smell in the rooms.

verygood location and private parking

bathroom is very small you cant even stand properly

verygood location and private parking

Izbi super

Breakfast not recommending

Izbi super

The room was very dirty.

The room was very dirty. There were things under the bed: toilet paper, dust, crumbs ...

Absolutely rubbish and nowhere near a 3 star

Plug socket hanging off wall, fire alarm hanging off ceiling, smelt of damp mould on the wall

The receptionist did sexual violence.

The receptionist did sexual violence. Forced to sleep in my room that I’ve paid before. In fact, it was my privacy and he acted unprofesionally.

• Budget Double Room

No heating in the winter, Bed smells of urine dirt on the floor needed up dating 20 years ago

Cold shower, noisy room, Didn't feel very clean

Cold shower, noisy room, Didn't feel very clean

Wont stay again
    • Quadruple Room

Rooms not what they look like on site. More hostel style than hotel. Def not worth the money I paid.

Bed comfy.

Breakfast was very poor and tastless.

Breakfast was very poor and tastless. Cheese was touched by mice.

Hotel Auberge Van Strombeek is an out of the way, dinky, musty, cramped space. Don't do it.

Worst experience

Everythink

Location is awesome!
    • Budget Double Room

The bathroom stank a lot, it were terrible. :(

Location is awesome! Near from almost everything, I walked for the most places from there.

Bed was Comfortable, breakfast was good.

Bed was Comfortable, breakfast was good.

Browse Hotel Auberge Van Strombeek traveller photo gallery