Reviews of Bedford Hotel & Congress Centre 3 stars

Rue du Midi 135, 1000 Brussels, Belgium

#93 of 215 hotels in Brussels

• Double or Twin Room

When we arrived the weather was not so good (around 18 degrees and very windy in June), but in the room the air condition was set on cold. There was no option to set it to heat. When we stopped the air condition the feeling for the room temperature has improved.

It is a nice place, but the interior looks like a little bit old modish On a walk distance to the center, central railway station and Brussels-Midi/Zuid railway station. The staff were very kind. We were there earlier and there was no problem to leave our luggage. The breakfast was also good.

• Double or Twin Room

Great location, situated comfortable walking distance to the city centre. Breakfast had good variety and even though the hotel was fairly busy with a conference going on, never had to wait for anything to restock. Allowed us to keep our bags stowed away both before check-in and after check-out.

• Double or Twin Room

The hotel was so central, only a few mins walk from maneken pis, grand place & train station. Rooms were nice & comfortable with black out curtains so you could have a lie in

• Double or Twin Room

Staff was extremely rude. Never apologized for making us wait and then telling us they are switching shifts. Room was decent. No ventilation in the bathroom. View was horrible. Quite clean but just not friendly at all. No kettle or coffee/tea in the room.

The location is very good and the room was quite clean and decent sized.

• Double or Twin Room

Furniture chipped and old, towels thin and frayed, safe broken, no tea and coffee making facilities, house keeping knocking on your door at 8.00 a.m. construction in hallways.

Staff rude, misleading description of property, was probably “superb in the 1950s”!

Buffet breakfast was average, there were not many varieties, the price of the buffet is not worth the amount , Reception staff, some do not respect the guest if the features are Asian or Arab

The hotel is close to all tourist spots

• Superior Triple Room

Room floor felt like it wasn't vacuumed very well with gritty dirt on floor when walking in bare feet. Air conditioner was running on high, i tried adjusting the thermostat with no success. Called housekeeping, they came did same thing I tried with no success. He said the thermostat does not control that unit so he climbed up on chair and turned the whole unit off. Then said the weather was going to be pleasant that night and we could sleep with the windows open. Otherwise, receptionist at checkin was polite and helpful, parking was convenient and location was good.

• Double or Twin Room

The beds and the pillows were very uncomfortable. Also the walls are paper thin so it’s very loud

It was nice and close to the beautiful grand plaza which we enjoyed very much. The hotel itself seems very grand and inviting but a little out dated

• Double or Twin Room

There really wasn't much to dislike at all, just the odd unfriendly member of staff but they were in the minority.

I loved the location walking distance from eurostar and grand place and all the great bars and restaurants.

nothing worth mentioning

The room was quiet, bed was large and comfy, breakfast was good, plenty of choice of fruit and also they had bacon and eggs, french croissants were great

• Double or Twin Room

The check-in was very disorganized and the woman on the desk was very abrupt and not welcoming. The checkout was worse! Not enough staff to deal with alot of guests all wanting attention.

The room was amazing! Very large with huge comfortable bed. Lovely bed linen. Location was good, about a 15 minutes walk to main station and the Grand square.

• Superior Triple Room

The sofa bed was not very comfortable. Wi-fi was not very good in the room.

Excellent location, close to everything you want to see and to the train station. Very good breakfast.

• Double or Twin Room

Would not recommend driving, the local area requires a very aggressive driving style to keep up with the traffic. Also if you are in a larger vehicle like a Q7, parking is extremly limited.

This hotel is only 5 minutes walking to the old city square. All of Brussels great sites and food is near this hotel.

• Double or Twin Room

The breakfast tables were all occupied and it took a while for the staff to clean and set them while other guests were waiting. There are fruits availabe, but the Orange juice wasn´t fresh.

The room we stayed in was outdated but very clean and comfortable. The staff is friendly and the hotel is well located.

• Small Single Room

Felt like i was in the 80s. Wifi internet kept dropping out. Check in n out reception impersonal, no warm greeting. I would not recommend if not for price 50e pn. This didn't incl city tax 4.75e pn

Clean

• Double or Twin Room

As I have travelled with my boyfriend I would have liked to have a double bed instead of 2 single beds attached ( during the night the beds were separated). I assume that I have mentioned that I would like to stay in a double bed room. Anyway, the beds were comfy.

The hotel is very close to the Grand Palace ( city centre ) in a quite area. The hotel’s staff is very friendly and helpful. Also the hotel is very clean.

• Double or Twin Room

A bit of a walk to the central part of town. Staff can be a bit abrasive.

Clean room, comfortable beds and the most air conditioning I had my entire month in Europe.

• Double or Twin Room

I thought this was a nice hotel based on the reviews and photos. When I got there at check in time, they suggested I should wait to get a full size bed instead of two twin beds arranged together (like they do in several hotels in Europe). They told me go sit and wait and they would shortly let me know when my room was ready. I was so tired after traveling for 26 hours that I waited for 40 minutes and saw lots of people checking in with no problem, until I finally talked to someone at reception. They told me they only had rooms with twin size beds and they had no idea why the other employee would make such a suggestion when they all knew this was not a possibility. I can only assume this was some sort of prank or maybe just incompetence. Since I arrived at the hotel after such a long travel time (which they knew, since I tried to check in in the morning) I particularly disliked how they made wait for my room, and they would have indefinitely.

All good.

The air conditioning made the room pleasant, given the temperature and humidity outside, but was not intrusive. Good buffet breakfast (including fresh fruit salad, choice of rolls) handled efficiently by the hotel staff at the reasonable price of 7.5 euros.

• Double or Twin Room

Incredible NOISY hotel.. Not only will hear the guests in the other rooms, both on your level as of the other levels, but the outside traffic as well. On top of that, the hordes of guests for meetings etc. So even when the check out is at 12 noon, don't count on sleeping in - you most likely will be rudely awaken by the racket made by the cleaning staff, fellow guests or people attending seminars there VERY early in the morning.

Friendly staff.

• Double or Twin Room

There was nothing I didn't like about this property.

This was hands down the best hotel we stayed at on our trip through Europe. Lobby was clean, large and elegant. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. The breakfast was excellent. Staff was very helpful. The hotel was near all that we wanted to see. And the price was right.

• Double or Twin Room

The bathroom and some of the furniture look a bit dated, but overall the room is ok.

The location - near the historic centre of Bruxelles, friendly staff, good breakfast.

• Double or Twin Room

Noise and small and very old fashioned rooms.

Very noisy, didn’t get a wink of sleep. Breakfast on Saturday finished very early. Staff tremendously nice and helpful (very un-Brussels), but hotel as such is not up to scractch.

• Double or Twin Room

The water pressure in our shower was very light and it was either ice cold or scolding hot no in between. Also there was no view, our window overlooked the parking garage.

The parking is located right behind the hotel which is convenient. Beautiful hotel with a good location, about a 10min walk to the Grand Place!

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast should have more vegetarian options.

The location was just perfect. Very close to happening places and city centre. The staff was welcoming and even checked me in before time as I was early. The breakfast was good. Only if they had more vegetarian options it would help. Overall a very Happy stay.

• Double or Twin Room

staff attitude (one person )

too much noise from the street heard in my room 304 and window did not close properly and we did not check in at 3pm notwithstanding we were at hotel at 10am .....we checked in at 4pm .....we were before others who seemed to have their room ready

• Business Double Room

There was a used piece of toilet paper on the bathroom floor when we first entered the room. The staff were usually nice, but I saw one of the concierge employees treat a group of guests with arrogance and disrespect. Also, if you’re late and need to get your bags from their deposit, be prepared. The guy who takes care of the baggage room has absolutely no sense of urgency and will move as slow as he can.

Great location, comfortable bed and spacious room

• Double or Twin Room

An excellent location at very good price. Conveniently located in the historic centre—only 5 mins walk from the Grand Place — and yet at a quiet spot to avoid the crowd noise.

• Double or Twin Room

The hotel was close to the train station, the way we had to go along was stinky and dirty. The isolation in the hotel is terrible, you can hear the toilet water flush, let alone the sound of the tearing off the toilet paper. It is written - not a smoking room or hotel, but you could feel that somebody had been smoking in the room.

Close to the center. Quite a big room.

• Double or Twin Room

Outdated equipment, staff is except one guy really rude and not really helpful. The fridge in the room is extremely small. The value money and services is not what it should be paid for, but I suppose it’s because of the location and otherwise the prices would be much higher.

Location was very good, only a few steps away from Manneken Pis and Grote Markt. WiFi most of the times was working very well.

• Double or Twin Room

Has restaurant but very few choices and only steak was tasty.

perfect location ,great help desk and fantastic breakfast for 7.50 Euro all you can eat till 10 AM.Staff helped to book bus trip to see Delf and tulips in Holland ./Only mid March to mid May.

• Small Single Room

Staff were very unfriendly and rude. No greetings or bye's and thank you's. You got to wait looong time for receptionists to serve you. I had a backache after sleeping on that tiny uncomfortable bed. The sink in the bathroom was blocked and it would turn into a pond in almost a minute. You can literally hear what people at next door are talking.

The only think I liked was that I had a balcony for my room.

• Double or Twin Room

Mid-town,close to tourist attractions and transportation hub (metro and bus).At night there’s a lot of cafes and restaurants that you can try and all within less than 5min walking. Place is clean and the room is quite spacious. Great for both leisure/ business trip!

• Double or Twin Room

A bit inconvenient system of electric light switches in the room, when you don't understand which switch turns which light on/off. Noisy air-conditioner in our room.

Good location, very close to historic centre, but still rather quiet. Very helpful staff.

• Double or Twin Room

I got an ear infection and lost my hearing to my right ear. I went to the doctor and got a sick note and had to stay at home taking painkillers and antibiotics for a week. I kindly notified the hotel that I am unable to get on a plane with this ear and kindly asked them to refund me. It was a non-refundable booking, however, this is health related and I can prove it. I did think that a 4-star hotel would be understanding. Let me copy paste the exact reply I got: "sorry NO FREE cancellation allowed payment has been done" Jesus Christ, this is just RUDE. At least they could've replied in a formal way with a proper sentence. At least they could've wished for good health or something like that. Or they could've offered a voucher for my next visit or something. This is just disappointing!

• Double or Twin Room

We found it a bit dated (for example the furniture) and I believe they didn’t provide enough shampoo and shower gel for each day. On the check out day, someone knocked on the door at around 9am and came in (without waiting for an answer), while we were still comfortably in bed. It wasn’t the best feeling and it made us feel a bit uncomfortable.

Location was perfect, very close to the centre. Bed was pretty comfortable.

• Double or Twin Room

The first man we met at reception didn't look up or acknowledge us when we arrived at the desk. We had to wait for a second man to come out to check us in. Felt awkward!

The hotel was right in the city centre. Everything was within walking distance. The bed was extremely comfortable. Was not expecting the room to be as big as it was! Perfect accommodation for a city break

• Double or Twin Room

Staff that checked us in was a bit rude, didn't give us our card for breakfast. But staff the next morning were lovely and helpful.

Room had a balcony, and lovely bathroom. Bed were also very comfy

• Double or Twin Room

Accomodation was ok, bed comfortable, clean room, functional shower and AC. Breakfast was normal (ham, cheese, eggs, some sweet muffins and croissants, no vegetable, bad coffee). The best is the place where the hotel is, near to the Grand Place and Manneken Pis (arround 10 min by walk).

• Double or Twin Room

Coffee machine; we asked for fresh eggs ( fried or scrambled) but it was not possible to get them.

Location far enough from the Gran Place, but close enough by walking. The bread is delicious.

• Business Double Room

Checkin. Staff on reception should have the attitude of how can we help? not sorry we cant do anything for you! We had to argue with them to get the rooms that we booked.

Breakfast very good and good value. Excellent location, very nice reception area/bar.

• Small Single Room

Haughty and unkindness attitude of reception 1. When I was check in, next to the counter, the tour conductor of a Japanese woman was creating some lists of dozens of guests for hotel with expansion of necessary documents. In a place where she could not see, the receptions gestured like they wanted her to go somewhere with exchane of glances. It was very rude for that tour conductor who was also their important guest, and I felt that education was scarce. 2. The lock plate of window frame of my room on the 7th floor was deliberately bent by 90 degrees, then the window could not be locked. There was a trace that the locking hole of the plate was scraped by the hand grinder and expanded, but the scrap residue was not dropped at all. I think that the problem that had been neglected even though the hotel side had known for quite a long time because there is no single guest to stay everyday until now. Although it was a room on the 7th floor, it was possible to intrude from neighboring rooms by pouring in a rain of concrete U shape of about 40 cm in width. I informed the reception above, and requested to lock it. "If it was not Spider-Man, nobody could not move to the next room along the outside wall." he said, so he did not want to look at the room and did not think about that. "Today is Sunday so maintenance will be closed so we can repair it after tomorrow. If there is something that is taken so much, I will keep it at the reception, so bring it here. " I was very sad when being told.

Good location for sightseeing.

• Small Single Room

My poor ranking for the point "Value for money" is because I stayed at Bedford during the seafood exhibition (always higher prices). Next time I prefer a room in the upper floors because of the view (I was on the second floor, room 223).

Location of the hotel, quite and clean rooms, fresh fruit salad for breakfast.

the breakfast was the worst breakfast i have ever had at a hotel in my life and trust me i have travelled it felt dirty, food options were terrible

nothing to be honest very average should be a 2 start

• Double or Twin Room

Nothing. Everything was excellent.

Excellent location in downtown Brussels. You can walk everywhere. Very clean and comfortable rooms, easy check in. They kept our bags locked up for us until check in time, so we could enjoy our day unencumbered ( we arrived at 11 AM, check in time is 3 PM.) In the morning, at our request, they arranged a cab to airport for us and helped us into it with our baggage ( we were able to put it on our bill: 45 euros for 4 people.) Our friends enjoyed the bathtub in their room. We were three couples, three rooms, we all felt the hotel was excellent.

• Double or Twin Room

Old facilities and staff not really helpful. The room was like a dorm, no decoration, no dustbin, the bedroom door had space to the frame so we had to sleep all nights with the light coming from the hall. Breakfast with really poor assortment and really hard to find table because hotel took really long to clean them.

• Double or Twin Room

Not clear navigation to breakfast restaurant. Receptionist didn´t have information about my request for breakfast and didn´t give information about breakfast time. I also missed some vegetable for breakfast. No additional information about hotel facilities exept laundry service in the room.

• Double or Twin Room

Finding out that the breakfast and parking was not included when the booking ap said it was. Also to find out that others paid about 80 euro but I paid >250

Bed was comfortable.

• Double or Twin Room

Yes, the rooms are a little basic and, yes, the shower was a bit temperamental but the location of this hotel is superb - easy walking for most of the main tourist sites and the transport links for further out of town. Breakfast was busy but plentiful and the staff were helpful. I would definitely stay again if I wanted a reasonably priced central location.

• Superior Triple Room

It was somewhat disappointing that one of the beds was a sofa-bed, which was not as comfortable as the other one in the room. The room was not equipped with a boiler, which was not convenient for Chinese customers, who were used to drink boiled water. There were no slippers provided in the room.

The location was quite nice with lovely view and short distance to public transportation. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was spacious.

• Double or Twin Room

Hotel has good location, close to Grand-Place and Central Station. Rooms are spacious and comfortable, no noise coming from the street. Meeting facilities are first class; natural light in the rooms and state-of-the-art equipment. Light lunch offers ample choice with sandwiches, salads and desserts. This all adds up to good value for money.

• Double or Twin Room

> Rooms did not correspond at all at the description on Booking. We were supposed to have rooms with a living room and we had tiny rooms with only one bed. We requested to change, but the hotel explained that it was the responsibility of Booking... > The rooms were very old and very dark (view on a wall). In 2 rooms, it was almost impossible to take a shower because water not adjustable. > Old furnitures, broken siphon with water leak... Horrible stay ! Hotel to avoid !

> Good breakfast > Good situation in the city center

• Double or Twin Room

There weren’t slippers and water (even for buying), but receptionist gave us an advice about the nearest shop.

Location was great. Close to all sites and central railway station, easy way to airport. Super cozy bed.

• Double or Twin Room

Dated interior - felt like in 80/90 museum. Full of teens on school trips. You forebidden to use gym between 21:00 and 8:00 due to noise - must be a joke? No ironing room or iron - if you arrive after 18:00 and have meeting before 9:00 bad luck... Breakfast feels like in the 3rd class on a ferry, little choice of ingredients and bad coffee from a machine... No coffee or tea in the room...

Friendly and efficient staff, ok location with a lot of bars and small restaurants around. Walking distance to Gare du Midi.

• Double or Twin Room

Nothing really except maybe some occasional slowdowns to the free WIFI system.

Staff are extremely helpful and the service provided is generally of a very good standard.

• Double or Twin Room

The room was really hot, we couldn't turn the air con on because reception had said that it is still winter months and they don't allow it as the property is heated. We had to open the window during our stay at the road works was noisy outside. The reception staff didn't offer much help/advice when we asked what we can do as the room was like a sauna.

We got upgraded to a business room for free which was really nice. The room was spacious and the shower was powerful and really hot!

• Small Single Room

The shower is poorly designed - accidentally got water all over the bathroom floor and they didn’t have room service so I had to go to the lobby to get more towels. The breakfast buffet was decent but a mad house.

The bed and room were extremely comfortable and clean, and the location was great.

• Double or Twin Room

The only remark I have is that the balcony door could not be locked, but being on a 6th floor maybe it is unlikely that somebody would break in.

Based on other reviews, I was expecting a terrible staying. However, I am happy to say that the staff was very friendly and helpful, the room was spacious and clean and quiet. The decoration is not the most modern, but for the price and the location, this hotel is unbeatable.

• Double or Twin Room

People from reception could've been nicer, they were all quite uptight.

Breakfest was great. Room big and clean. Bed was great. Location is very very good, in city center, and walking distance from the train station (about 20 minute walk)

• Double or Twin Room

I had to leave early and reception advised I could get breakfast at 6:45, but they started at about 7 am. There were 30 or more people waiting by then; they need to sort this out.

Room was quiet and comfortable. Breakfast was very good, with a large range of food. Hotel is a short walk from the old town, and walking distance from Midi and Central train stations. The hotel restaurant was good.

• Double or Twin Room

No tea and coffee in the room which meant you had to go to the bar to buy one.

Good centrally located hotel. Very clean and the staff friendly and helpful and happy to store case for us as we arrived early and left late afternoon after booking out. The hotel is an easy straight walk from Gare du Midi. Not far from Gare du Nord either and an easy walk to most tram and Metro station.

• Double or Twin Room

Hotel is old. Room is small and decoration is very old fashion. There is no kettle , coffee or tea in the room. You have to go to the bar to get a cup of hot water. Even your room is not facing the street , you can hear the toilet/shower at upstairs and other guests passing by your room. The breakfast is very “ basic “ .

Location is good! Staffs are friendly.

• Double or Twin Room

Did not let us check in even 15 minutes before official time Furniture and bathroom fixtures are really very old and do not work very nice. No shower curtain! The outside temperature was arout 0 oC, but the central heating didn't work. There was only an AC unit in the room. As a result - extremely cold in the bath/toilet, very noisy and very dry air in the room

Location is fine, room is quite big

• Double or Twin Room

If you have a room on the front, and have the windows open as we did, it is a bit noisy during the night.

Very welcoming staff - all extremely helpful. Breakfast was very good. Great location - only minutes from the Grand Place.

• Double or Twin Room

Though it's clean and good value for money, the hotel is a bit outdated and some amenities are aging. The hairdryer was dead.

In the city centre and really great value for money. Comfortable beds, the size of the room is correct and everything was clean. Good wifi

• Double or Twin Room

No tea or cafe facilities in the room which make it difficult for people like myself who are coffee people. There should been there a kettle and tea facilities even for charges.

Very well located around all facilities, historical area of sightseeing, restaurants, transports etc ... Everything to enjoy is just around the corner.

• Double or Twin Room

I didn't like how they pushed Teo double beds together to make a full. While they were comfortable beds, I couldn't snuggle with my boyfriend at night due to the split of the bed. Had I understood the description better, I would have paid more for a regular full bed.

I liked that everyone was very helpful at the desk. I also appreciated the location of the hotel in comparison to the main attractions in Belgium. I also really liked how they allowed us to keep our luggage at the hotel free of charge when we left for a day to another country.

• Double or Twin Room

There were roadworks outside, which wasn't their fault, of course.

Great location, very central in Brussels. Got a free upgrade to a bigger room, which was a nice bonus; the room was superb. Staff were friendly and spoke excellent English.

• Double or Twin Room

Someone inside of the room of the hotel stolen my notebook(laptop), mobile phone and speaker. I was in the police and procedured to a register. They have not found anything until now. The hotel never take the responsability because they said that others can go inside to the room. This affirmation does not make sense. They should give a reply for this stolen inside of their hotel. I do not recommend this hotel. Pour breakfast, air condition dirty. I am very disappointed with this hotel.

• Superior Triple Room

Staff was very unhelpful. We complained about air conditioning and we got ridiculous responses. We complained for 3 days and nothing was done. Bed was the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on. Breakfast was EXACTLY the same everyday, not single item changed.

• Small Single Room

I personally think that the lock of balcony door should be improved. I was locked by myself on the balcony over 20 minutes just because of an unconsciously touch on the lock when I was out of the room. (especially in a single room and without a phone :( )

This hotel is more modern style and staff are helpful. Good breakfast and better view of balcony,

• Double or Twin Room

There were glitches in wifi connection quite often. The breakfast is very poor. Inside it is old (there is a radio from 80s-90s) and it smells a bit strange.

The location of the hotel is very good.

• Double or Twin Room

Great location, very close to the Grand Place. Room was clean and bed was very comfortable. Excellent breakfast, wide selection of food and drinks. Staff were friendly and organised. Great value for money.

• Double or Twin Room

Wasn't sure what to expect but this hotel did not disappoint! The main lobby was very pleasant and a nice place to relax. The bed was super comfy, the shower was excellent and the room was a good size. Would definitely stay here again!

• Double or Twin Room

1. The behavior of on of the barman was so so 2. If you go for breakfast u need to take a special entry card downstairs at reception, so if you don’t do this in advance u can’t just ask the lady on the entry to put the charges on ur room. Ridiculous.

Only the location.