Reviews of Antwerp Hotel National 2 stars

5.6

5.3

6.2

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Fairish apart from no show on breakfast

Actually getting breakfast when we had paid for it and having to drive home with out getting breakfast

No staff was around in the morning when we had arranged breakfast with them half hour early the night before has had to leave early

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Normal

-No trash can in rooms -No remote control -Only light switch is at the entrance -No paper no pen nothing except bed and towels -Walls were very thin I listened nextdoors tv all night -elevator was pretty bad -Beds were constantly moving very slippery

Normal price I wrote the negative comments for the hotel to check

Almost there

The breakfast is unfortunately really poor and doesn’t have any reason to pay 10€ extra for. It felt disappointing just before we checked out.

The reception is well organised and workers are fiendly. For the centrally location and the well maintained rooms the accommodation is worth the price.

The door to our room would not work and we couldn't get...

The door to our room would not work and we couldn't get in staff were not very helpful. We had no hot water and were not told the hot water service was out of order. We booked 2 rooms and they also had no hot water and all the pillows were as hard as rocks Never again

I like the bed.

Shower is a smaller than you see in the pictures. And also the shower doesn't have a heater. Maybe it's broken or something. But please check room 206.

I like the bed.

Great location but the hotel rooms are very old!

The rooms!

Friendly staff members but the hotel needs an update. The rooms are very outdated and needs renovation. The ground floor reception and the restaurant area was in pristine condition, but the rooms were poor.

Overall a good hotel at an ideal location needs improvement in tidiness

Cleanliness was not very ideal, corridor carpets were dirty full of stains, smelling and should be replaced. The hotel is understaffed, the person at reception was running to help with the room, assisting in breakfast and other chores making others wait. At least an electric kettle should be provided in each room

The location of the hotel is really nice, it is almost in the center of Antwerp close to major attractions including bus stops and Railway station etc. Staff was very cooperative and facilitative. wifi was good and free

Great location for the city and car park right next door.

Accommodation a little tired, bit threadbare in places and very basic. No tea/coffee facilities and no fridge. Overall comfortable beds and ok for the price for a 1 night stay

Great location for the city and car park right next door. Staff kindly froze some ice packs overnight for us to use the next day.

Worst hotel ever.

Having to walk up 4 flights of stairs because the lift only fitted 3 people in, however, the lift was always broke so we had to walk up the stairs majority of the time anyway. Key card stopped working, no 24 hour reception as it stops at 10pm so would’ve been locked out of room if we didn’t have a spare key card, shower water hot then cold not an adequate tempature, air conditioner did not work at all and the weather was 40 degrees, almost 30 more than it is back at home for us. Also no kettle or hairdryer in the room, so what’s stated on this is false advertisement.

Worst hotel ever.

Having to walk up 4 flights of stairs because the lift only fits 3 people in, however the lift was always broke so we had to walk up the stairs anyway. Key cards stopped working, no 24 hour reception so would be locked out of room if we didn’t have our spare key, shower water hot then cold not an adequate tempature, air conditioner did not work at all. No kettle or hair dryer in room, so what is stated on this is false advertisement.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Worst hotel ever.

Safety deposit box not working in either of the rooms, air conditioning not working when weather was almost 40 degrees, no mini fridge in room, no reception at night, no vending machines, no food in the hotel, lift broken and when works got stuck, no kettle in room.

Bed bugs. Terrible experience.

The room was in bad conditions. Three lamps didn't work and the furniture was broken. The worst of all was that the hotel is infested with bed bugs. I stayed for one night and got more than 100 bites. I had to spend my holidays washing all my clothes, taking medicines, with pain and anxiety about taking the bed bugs home. I asked for refund to the hotel and they haven't reply. The personal act kind but it seems like a strategy to avoid paying back. Reading the reviews in TripAdvisor I see that I am not the only one that has been biten by the bugs and that the hotel avoids refunding or taking any responsibility. Also, they charge more than other hotels for the turist tax. My advice is to avoid this hotel. It should be closed by the authorities.

The location was the only good thing.

Ok for drunken night. Not for families

Room was very cramped and dark. Air conditioning could not be used as remote missing. Really noisy neighbours walls paper thin sounded like 1 guy and 2 women talking loudly laughing and other stuff until my husband told them to be quiet at 4.30 am. Also were smoking weed out of their window which came into our open window. Bathroom was very dark only 1 light working and black walls. Shower dribbled out water.

Good location.

The hotel is the noisiest I have ever stayed, especially...

The hotel is the noisiest I have ever stayed, especially midnight.and very bad soundproof.If I go to Antwerp again,I actually don’t choose this hotel anymore.

A very good option for a short trip...

Unfortunately the lift was not working in the morning, when I left and I had to climb down the stair with the suitcase...

Very convenient location and excellent value for money.

I enjoyed my stay

The light in the bathroom could be better. It was really dark in there.

The room was spacey and bright. City centre in walking distance. Staff was helpful and friendly.

Cozy and really nice hotel in the heart of Antwerp!

To be honest, before our trip I was absolutely shocked by the reviews I read about this hotel (bed bugs, noise, awful bathroom, etc.). However, the truth was that the hotel appeared to be really cozy and comfortable though in need of some refurbishment. Yes, the decor is old, but everything is clean, neat and decent. No bed bugs!!! The locacation is just superb! The heart of Antwerpen, old town. The staff was really nice and helpful during our stay. We got room cleaning and fresh towels every day! The TV was working. Wi-Fi signal was very good. The elevator worked properly without failures. We didn't take breakfasts, so I can't comment upon them. The supermarket is just next door. My husband and I stayed here from 17 till 20 of May 2018. Thank you, Antwerp National Hotel for such a nice experience! :-)

Bedbugs
    • Quadruple Room

Bedbugs. I could never recommend this hotel. They need to deal with this problem, cause it's disgusting.

Close to city center and to nice restaurants and cafés. Had a good night's sleep and all was well, until we had a shock in the morning.... Bedbugs :-(

Great location close to the centre.

The air conditioning did not work and our room was adjacent to a car park so we could not open the window.

Great location close to the centre. Room was clean.

Pleasant

It could have been cleaner, no breakfast

Great central location, room pretty big though initially we were given a small room overlooking the garage which we asked to change.

Mediocre

Shower (cable) and lamp in bathroom were broken. Air conditioning did not work either. We called ahead to ask if a hair dryer was available, which we were told we could borrow at the desk. However the day of our stay they could not find the hair dryer. Had stayed here before in a different room which was better (nothing broken)

Good location.

The staff was friendly and let us store our bags as we...

The bed was falling in the middle of the mattress, as if there were planks missing. it made noises as if it were breaking everytime I sat on it. I found a cockroach crawling on top of the bed sheets the morning after. The shower was in poor shape, looked dirty, didn't try it out though. The whole hotel was under refurbishment.

The staff was friendly and let us store our bags as we arrived before check in time. Quirky decor with vinyl records on the wall.

Ok - but could get better value for money - big thumbs down for safety.

We were on the 4th floor. The fire exit was largely blocked by bags of rubbish behind the door. No lighting in the fire exit at all. Bathroom painted black. Only 3 towels in the room, no bath mat, tea making facilities. It’s more like a budget hotel than a medium rated city hotel.

Friendly and a comodating staff. Rooms adequate and beds comfortable.

Handy location, good value for money.

The place obviously saw better days and its an old building with "vintage" furniture so to speak. Its clean enough and with its location its good value for money though; but its good to know in advance you will feel like travelling to the past. They were renovating the reception when I was there though, so maybe my review is going to be outdated very soon.

Location is great half way between the old town and the diamond district if you want to visit both. There is also a square a stone throw away with decent bars for a glass of wine or a good Belgian beer.

I WAS VERY SATISFIED WITH MY OVERNIGHT STAY.

THE WIFI DID NOT WORK WELL IN THE ROOM MAYBE DUE TO RENOVATIONS ?? BUT OK IN RECEPTION. HAD A PROBLEM TO GET TV TO WORK BUT STAFF CAME TO HELP AND IT WORKED FINE.

THE STAFF WERE VERY FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL. ONCE THE RENOVATIONS ARE FINISHED IT WILL BE A VERY GOOD HOTEL. I WOUULD RETURN TO THIS HOTEL NEXT TIME I AM IN ANTWERP. THE HOTEL AND RESTAURANT ARE UNDER RENOVATION SO NO BREAKFAST AVAILABLE

No hairdryer in the room.

No hairdryer in the room. I had to "book" one at the reception. It seems that the hotel has only one hairdryer. Bathroom clean but with a lot of rust. The wc was without cover.

It was close to the center but quite in the meantime.

The room was a bit cold so we turned up the heating. I would've been happy with an extra "feet towel" cause the shower wasn't heated separately so the floor was cold after shower.

It was close to the center but quite in the meantime. They have a locked room to keep your luggage safe. They had an elevator. The room was nice and cosy, only with towels. You can ask for hair dryer from the front desk(free).

never again!

uncomfortable beds, small bathroom with poor light, shower is warm but very little water came out, curtains were too small for the window so that light came in from all sides

Location on walking distance from Groenplaats

Very average and overpriced for what we received.

Our window/door opened out onto a car park where people could see directly into our room. The curtain didn't close properly. We weren't given a bar of soap. The floor was freezing cold and our shower or toilet was leaking all over the floor which was soaking wet our whole stay.

Some of the the staff were quite friendly

Didn't stay - the hotel description and rating at 3* was completely untrue

Everything - horrible room, rude staff, website was full of lies and did was not true representation of hotel. Previous reviews complained of bed bugs

This hotel is not a tourist/visitors hotel. It is a flea-pit and had some dodgy looking customers hanging around.

Excellent location and staff, but that's about it.

The bathroom was small te begin with but dark floor and walls make it even more cramped. Ceiling had spots of something I don't want to know the source of, same goes for the shower curtain. Pillows were a bit soft but that's a personal thing. The walls are extremely thin making a quiet night hard, when there's people in adjecant rooms who can be heard talking when speaking at normal volume, same goes for people walking the hallway. The restaurant isn't in use anyore, thus no breakfast or drinks available at the hotel, which they did still advertise online as being an option. No water heater/kettle or coffee maker in the rooms making a morning without your cuppa somewhat rough..

Bed was alright. Very friendly and helpful staff. Only a short walk to the center. Supermarket next door making for an easy snack or drink.

Wifi was good, shower and room clean.

Attitude of security when I arrived and attitude of receptionist, had a don't care attitude.

No bed & Breakfast, for that price other hotels in Antwerp are Bed and Breakfast. Had to pay extra for a few hours because I arrived early, other hotel down the road said they would have checked me in early for no charge since they had a few empty rooms.

It's good for one night.

Unfortunatelly there wasn't hair dryer, not only in the room, but in a whole hotel, despite the fact it was written in the room description.

It's good for one night.

overall, very bad experience

Where to begin.. very dirty room with a broken window glass so the wind was coming inside the room, TV not working, no electricity in the shower so you have to take shower in complete dark or don’t use curtain to have a little light coming in. Beds not comfortable. No normal lightning in the room. Although it is near city centre, and it may catch your atention, be careful where you park your car if you have one - almost got robbed at 8pm.

The location of the hotel is good , staff were helpful as well

Great location, nice people. It was a little disappointing, but if you want to explore, you're good.

The room was very dark, we didn't get a double room but a triple room. It smelled like sigarette smoke in the hallway and came a little bit through under the door. The bathroom was extremely dark as well. The rooms weren't very isolated, we woke up a couple of nights because of the guests in the other rooms. It basically could have done with a touch up, the walls and everything was chipped. Also, the information at the frontdesk about Antwerp was 5 years old which was a little weird.

The guy from the reception was extremely nice and the location was great. If you are not in the room all day because you're exploring the city, you're happy at this location. There also were a lot of nice places to have breakfast in the neighborhood, which is nice. The breakfast was not included, and although there is a restaurant with the hotel, we haven't seen it open.

good location. Meet the expectation when you use the room just for sleeping

Unfortunately, the second receptionist was not that kind. When we ask about some information she answer as quick as possible and then sat back to her mobile phone.

We arrived quite late in the evening, the first receptionist was kind, he provided us with all the information we needed to know .We just slept here one night, the bed was comfy but the bathroom need a renovation.

Bad place to choose

Very dirty room.Very very bad smell it seems that somebody was smoking before.All wals,doors are dirty.We asked to do something with that bad smell...but nothing was done.

I did like anything in this place.Quite good was location,but nothing more.

Poor

The room smelled like smoke. And the shower had dirty corners. Also the Wi-Fi stopped working at one point. And there was no hot water in the morning to take a shower. We didn't get any refund for this. I've send them an email, but no reply!

The location was good.

Will never return and would never recommend

Run-down hotel with a tatty bedroom, broken and stained bed, little in the way of facilities in the room. Below the standards of a youth hostel and a lot more expensive. What's to like?

Location excellent

Not recommended

The hotel was not clean, it seemed more like a hostel than a hotel. There were no towels in one if the rooms we booked, the was no hot water (we comlpained but there was no answer), one window was not closing properly (it was a windy day and it was opening all the time during the night). Generally it is just for one night. I am travelling a lot, it was an unpleasant experience

The hotel is in the center

Great place to book for a night when you are planning to party till 3am in Grotemarkt.

We booked 4 rooms. 2 of them were okay, 1 smelled like an ashtray and 1 could not be opened by the room key. Complained and resolved within minutes. Big thank you to the lady who was very helpful during our late check-in. No coffee machine and hairdryer inside the room. Hot water is limited specially in the morning. TV signal not at its best. Hotel elevator only good for 3 people at a time.

Value for money, Location, Bed is comfy and the room is clean. WiFi is good and being able to come in and out from the hotel at night with your room key. Parking just next door expensive but convenient. Hotel room design is nicer compared to other hotels around Antwerp for this price range.

Location is perfect, it was really clean and the beds were...

The room was really cold and there could be at least a hair dryer.

Location is perfect, it was really clean and the beds were good. The lady in the reception was so helpful and hospitable.

We were checked in late and the staff is nice.

Did not have any towels in the room, bed was uncomfortable, shower was dirty (loads of leftover hair) and the shower drain is clogged. We checked out at 5am.

We were checked in late and the staff is nice.

Situated in the heart of Antwerpen , this is a good option...

Situated in the heart of Antwerpen , this is a good option in order to visit the city. My room was very clean and confortable. Maybe i wanted some more light in the room but it was ok like that. Very nice staying.

A disappointing stay at a bad property

Bad infrastructure. The lift kept breaking down. Badly maintained hotel; hot water just did not work. Disappointed with booking.com in having this on the list of hotels.

The staff at the reception were helpful

Decent value for money.

Only one towel per person and there was no soap/shampoo provided (however, I got a small bottle when I asked at the reception). Other guests behaved in a very noisy way on Saturday night - walls in this hotel are thin! Overpriced breakfast so I didn't try it.

The heating worked brilliantly so the room felt warm and cosy; location-wise, it was a great choice - so close to Grote Markt, FoMu and other attractions.

Location perfect! More a hostel then a hotel.

Poor facilities like 1 small shower and shampoo flacon. Got a call in the morning from the reception if i would them clean the room, i think this isnt helping them to upgrade the servicelevel. Felt more like a hostel but then with private rooms.

Location is perfect!

Its been comfortable and easy access to everywhere

My room number was 307 I faced the problem of broken rack for hanging cloths, shower handle was not fixed commode seat was not properly fixed and less TV channels.

Location, easy access

Room smelled very strong of cigarettes, apart from the...

Room smelled very strong of cigarettes, apart from the information booklet that smelled so strongly of urine that it must have been dropped in the toilet. Information on WiFi password in this booklet was incorrect, correct version was only displayed on front desk in a sign we only noticed on the way out. Also despite it being below freezing and November, I got bitten twice by a mosquito. Great location and cheap, but a really unpleasant place to stay.

Great location..nothing else.
    • Quadruple Room

Apparently the hotel recently had a change in ownership - dated and poorly cleaned rooms: stained sheets and towels, broken furniture, cigarette butts and dirt in the bathroom; door opener (card reader) did not work and wasn't fixed which meant that we had issues every time we tried to get into our room - reception staff did not feel obliged to change the batteries apparently; Hotel charged room costs prior to arrival although the booking conditions on Booking.com explicitly stated that payment will be taken upon check-in at the hotel (BIG NO GO IMO).

LOCATION - the hotel is located in the heart of Antwerp, very close to dozens of second hand and antique shops, museums, cafes, restaurants and sights. The room was large and spacious.

3.5
    Horrible and our short break was ruined.
    • Quadruple Room

The entire hotel needs a facelift. No hot water on our first day, the room looks tardy, cold with marks in the toilet and bathroom. Definitely poor value for money and I fail to see why or how this is a 2 Star facility.

Just the location and the hotel staff were good and friendly.

Good location, needs to up its game

Decor in poor condition - a number of dirty stains on the white wall in bedroom. Door cards only work on outside door, need to use keys on room doors. This isn't explained and as a result door lock alarms go off frequently. Senior staff shrugged off issues raised during stay as unimportant.

Good location, in central Antwerp. A short walk to most visitor attractions, shops, restaurants etc. Easy to get to from Antwerp Centraal station by tram or metro.

Ok

breakfast was very poor for 10 euro's Lift didnt work from ground up, broken call button. We had no sheets on the bed when we arrived and after linen delivered to room, we had to make our own bed up.

Bed was comfortable, Great Location

Good for one night.

The isolation is not good and you can hear everything from others rooms. I asked for a earlier checkin and they said they were no able to handle the request even with availability of rooms. I found a empty pack is snack in the room (that should be cleaned). The curtains was small and the lights could enter the room in the morning.

It very close to the tourist attractions. The staff is very kind.

Crap

The room. the bed, no lights in the bathroom working, safe not working, whole in the wall, tv remote only on battery and was dirty and greasy. Bed was warn, i got the worst room in antwerp. Should of slept in my car.

Wifi rest was awful

the products used to sanitize the rooms smiled strongly like...

the products used to sanitize the rooms smiled strongly like disinfectants for toilets and that is a turn off for me. i will recommend a nice air freshener to boost the atmosphere

Great location!

The rooms are a bit small, but not smaller than what is normally found in hotels.

The girl in the reception, who was also preparing the breakfast, was very friendly and helpful. We asked for a Genius Early Check in and it was possible for one of the two rooms that we had booked. The location is very good, only 2 minutes from the Groenplaats.

The room in black and red and the completely black bathroom threw me in the first 5 min. Looks a bit like a set for the horror film🤣which was not the case,obviously=)

Great location. Literaly 5 min from the historic center on foot. Nice room,comfy bed.

totally out of line with the photo on their website

I went to my room and to my surprise the room was not cleaned. So I returned to the reception and got another room. The room looked like worn out with a radiator hanging loose on the wall, loose wiring above the bed, the emergency details were in a broken frame. In the morning I wanted to take a shower and to my horror there was no water supply in the shower cubicle. So the only option was to refresh myself with water in the sink. Also the breakfast room is served from 8 am onwards. I consider that far too late if you plan to do a lot of things in the day. I wont stay there again.

the wifi was good but nothing else

Good for a short stay

Everything was a bit dated, the hotel was renovating at the time, so I am not sure what the current state is. There were no toiletries in the bathroom. Our room had a lovely view: the parking garage. Since we were there to be close to the city centre, and not for a fabulous room, it didn't really bother us too much. Travellers looking for a fashionable hotel in the fashion district might want to skip this one.

The location is within the fashion district, and almost everything is within walking distance. It was a simple room that facilitated about everything we needed for one night. No too expensive, especially when you take into account how central the location of the hotel is. Irish pub next door and a supermarket just around the corner.

Good stay, convenient position

The room and the bathroom was badly in need of TLC and redecorating

Great place with excellent staff, great position, bed was comfortable Easy access to public transport and trains.

Well, If it's for one night and sleeping only - it's an OK option.

There was no wardrobe or shelves to put your stuff (I am not even sure if there was a chair...) - only a table which looked like a school table. The lightening in the room was scarce (the main one did not work, only the small nigt lamps did). What is more, we had a view on the outdoor parking (I wonder who can park there) and the window was broken, though "fixed" with a duct tape.

The hotel is really nicely located with few minutes walk from the city center. There are also plenty of small pubs/bars/cafes just around the corner. What was the best about the stay, was in fact, the best - it was unexpectedly super comfortable.

Excesively expensive for the quality of the hotel.

It wasn't clean. Bad state of conservation of facilities. Really bad state of the bathroom (things broken and so)

Service of the personal Location Wi-Fi

Great staff, basic hotel but well located

There is a lot of noise from adjacent rooms. Unfortunately this is due to bad insulation between rooms so I doubt this can be remedied.

Hotel National is a budget hotel but good value for money. I accidentally left my house keys in the room when I left and so organised a courier to collect them and deliver them back to London - it took a little while to organise as initially, the staff said they would post them and they sent a link to postal.nl which just doesnt work for a UK resident. So the courier (DHL) was the best option. The staff printed the delivery note and put the keys in an envelope for me. So I am very grateful that they did this as it was my silly mistake to leave them behind.

Brilliant value for money
    • Quadruple Room

Stair and hall a little shabby but really isnt that important when you want to sleep but the comfort and views more than make up for it.

The hotel looks lovely as soon as you see it. Brilliant location with secure parking right next door. The seating outside the resturant was excellent. The decor of the room was simple but modern and the view from the room was fantastic. Brilliant value for money when you add in the amazing location.

Underwhelming, to say the least

The room felt old, outdated and had no atmosphere. The bed was big, but very uncomfortable. Lots of noise from outside, had to keep the window open or else it would be very warm.

The location is pretty good. It's located right above a parking garage.

Very very poor service
    • Quadruple Room

Unwelcoming staff Very old room Uncomfortable beds and pillows Dirty toilets Dangerous windows for kids Rooms not sound proof No basic failcities e.g. Water ,coffee , tea in the rooms

Hotel in need of upkeep

Lamps we're missing, room was maintained badly and we were eye level with the parking garage.

Nice location, and not too expensive. Free WiFi which sometimes worked.

One time, no second time

-poor service by the staff. It took hours to find a solution for the problem. -bedsheet wasnt clean and contains dirty spots -room overall was dirty

-nearby Groenplaats where restaurants etc are available.

worth the money and cozy enough with the best location

a little bit old but clean.

Set at the good location and easy to access to everywhere in the city. Simple and cozy hotel with free wifi. there is a supermarket next door. close to a subway station so you can get to the hotel easily from the central station and also a bus stop very near the hotel. there is a restaurant at the hotel as well. the staffs are friendly and very helpful. there is an elevator. the room is big enough and simple facilities.

I will probably never come back to this hotel.

- The bed headboard was torn away from the wall. - There is a parking lot literally right outside the windows of some of the second floor rooms (and by that I mean people getting out of their cars could step into your room). - The room smelled a bit musty when I arrived. - My room could not be open with its magnetic card and we had to located the cleaning staff to find the key. - The elevator was actually a goods lift. - No light bulb in the bedside lamp.

The hotel very well located in the fashion district.

Great location, staff and breakfast - add a bit to the rooms and ensure everything works.

This is a 2 star hotel and you have to remember that. Rooms are quite basic. We had to ask for sink plugs and the TV did not work in one room. One room did not have anywhere to store/hang clothes however we were quickly moved to another room. No wardrobes, only some shelves and a few coat hangers. Having said all that - great location, staff and breakfast.

The location was great to see family and friends living in Belgium, and also for the city center and old town. Air conditioning in every room.

Bed bugs / stay clear!

There are bed bugs!!! Do not stay there, the many bad reviews on TripAdvisor are true. Unfortunately, we checked those only too late. That is, after we were bitten - and now have to spend a lot of money to get rid of them in our apparment. Apparently some of the bugs travelled home with us.

Staff was very helpful, smooth check-in, no problem with...

Staff was very helpful, smooth check-in, no problem with storing luggage after checking out. The location is really great: lots of shops, cafes and city center is nearby.

The accommodation wasn't perfect but we will miss the staff. Be nice to them

Pillows were rubbish. You pay for what you get. If you want 5 star quality accommodation, you need to pay for it. Look at the positives and cope with the not so good things. Need better pillows though :)

The staff are fabulous. The location perfect. Breakfast waa great. Loved the croissants. It was value for money. I would stay again because of these things

Browse Antwerp Hotel National traveller photo gallery