Reviews of Hotel Catalonia Brussels 3 stars

Av. Du Haut Pont 2, Sint-Gillis / Saint-Gilles, 1060 Brussels, Belgium

#88 of 212 hotels in Brussels

• Reviewed: 18 October 2018

I look forward to my next visit.

I have no comments to make here.

The staff are very nice to me and I appreciate it. I stay in this hotel a lot and my loyalty is appreciated. They can handle a large group for breakfast and still maintain a good standard of food and service.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

Good hotel with reasonable prices in this area.

Room isolation from hotyel guest noise could be improved.

Good hotel with reasonable prices in this area. 40 minutes walk from Grand Place, well served with public transportation. Close to Maison Horta, in a nice, trendy area of Bruxelles

• Reviewed: 13 October 2018

I will be pleased to stay again.

I have nothing to say here.

The hotel met my expectations as I have stayed there a few times and I know what to expect. Every one was as friendly as usual even though they were very busy which is always a good sign that the people are professional.

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Nice place to stay, I would come back here

The room was too heated, we had to keep the windows always opened. The heating system you cannot turn it off.

Very clean rooms, comfortable beds. Excellent breakfast. We even had to leave earlier than the breakfast time, and they prepared us a great picnik-breakfast.

We were satisfied and would book this hotel again.

We were a bit disappointed that we could not have a glass of wine at the bar, but fortunately there was a very nice bar at the corner of the street.

The whole atmosphere was very pleasant and the staff was friendly and helpful. We appreciated the location of the hotel, from where it was easy to get to the centre.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Very good quality of srrvice, spacious rooms, view on garden...

I have been very sick all night and the day after with the air conditioning. I think it needs to be thoroughly cleaned.

Very good quality of srrvice, spacious rooms, view on garden, good breakfast, nice area of Brussels

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Staff & location good, facilities need some upgrades

cold water (Luke warm) when I entered late evening so the shower was not pleasant water was hot in the morning. Wifi didn't work or instructions were invalid & I scraped my hand on a nail on chair at breakfast

Nice comfy double bed

Thank you to all the staff.

It was a good choice for what I needed

Overall it was good... staff very helpful. I have requested to have soya milk instead of cow's milk, and this was provided. Breakfast was great. Overall the place was clean.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Comfy beds, great location

Minor detail: Toilet flushing did not work without lifting the porcelain cover. Will surely be fixed for the next customer.

Clean room with a great bed! Bath tub. Quiet side street.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Good hotel.

Restauracja was closed on Sunday.

Everything was fine. Bed was comfortable. Breakfast's were tasty, food was fresh, caffe was also good. Lady at the reception deska was very helpful.

Comfortable and relaxing stay with friendly staff.
    • Standard Triple Room

Room was comfortable, clean and relaxing. Staff were super friendly and helpful and moved us to another room when the air conditioner wasn't working well.

The hotel was near to the centre - a short tram ride away.

The car parking was frightening to drive into and out of. The bed was uncomfortable. We arrived on Sunday and stayed for one night. Booking.com did not say that the restaurant and bar would be closed as it was Sunday. We saw others drinking wine on the terrace but we were refused. The lack of English speaking staff was a barrier for this ‘continental’ hotel.

The hotel was near to the centre - a short tram ride away. It was clean and tidy.

Good value but could be better

The check-in took ages. Pillow was tiny and flat. Breakfast looked great but some of the food items were flavourless.

It was nice and clean. Felt fresh.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Definitely recommended.

We have stayed here several times before and our recent visit was as good as the previous ones. Clean, attractive rooms and helpful, friendly staff. Would definitely recommend the Catalonia for anyone looking for a well-located, no-frills hotel in this part of Brussels.

I have already booked to stay here again.

There is nothing I did not like. So it is not possible to write more on this.

The standards are maintained by the hotel which means that you know what you are going to get when you stay there. The hotel can handle a tour group at breakfast without impacting on the service to those who are not on the tour.

A larger room than I had been getting in previous...

Only disappointed that I hadn't realised breakfast was included. A bit dirty out the front of the property.

A larger room than I had been getting in previous night's, the clean and fresh feel to the place. Bidet was interesting !

Returning to Hotel Catalonia again

There is not anything I don't like about the hotel as I know what to expect. When you stay a lot it is the consistent standard that you are looking for all the time that it important. I will try to think of something for my next review.

I stay in this hotel when I go to Brussels unless it is unavailable. I expect to stay at least three times again this year. The people are very pleasant to me and always remember me. It was impressive to see how they handled a large number of people at breakfast and still kept the food hot.

I like it a lot and I will be back next week.

The new coffee machine is working perfectly now so that is good. Some times the scrambled eggs and sausages can be a bit cold but the cook something for you to order if you want which is very nice. There is almost nothing I don't like about this hotel. I will be back soon.

I stay in this hotel more than any other in Brussels simply because I like it. The people who work there are very nice to me It is the same every time I come so there is no reason to change unless the hotel is unavailable.

Reasonable value for money.

Room was dated and the floor hadn't been cleaned very well. It was also quite noisy with people outside and in neighbouring rooms.

Reasonable value for money.

Good value for the money

They don’t have free WiFi in the rooms, and there is only one plug in the room which is not enough for phone, tablet, and external battery.

It is a very nice hotel, with easy access to the city center. The staff is nice and the room is clean and comfortable.

Apart from below the hotel staff were extremely helpful and...
    • Premium Double or Twin Room with Terrace

You could not get a drink at the hotel bar after 11 o'clock, we went out for a meal and came in just after 11 and the barman refused to serve us a drink as he was cashing up the till and he went home. This seemed to be the case on both the Friday and Saturday.

Apart from below the hotel staff were extremely helpful and cheerful.

I will be back soon.

The new coffee machine did not work properly the first day which was a problem as there were a lot of people trying to get a cup of coffee.

The people are very friendly and remember your name from previous visits. So I will be back again. The location is very convenient for me.

We reserved the room in the emergency (due to unavailability...

We reserved the room in the emergency (due to unavailability of the other apartment reserved prior to our arrival to Bruxelles) and arrived very late. The reception was open, the service was quick and nice. - Nice rooms, clean, no problems at all

No Parking! And the door to the garage too narrow to fit sub-compact cars!
    • Premium Double or Twin Room

Reserved a parking place only to be told upon arrival that the garage was full and that I needed to drive 10 minutes from the hotel to find another parking garage. Attitude of the staff was rude and indifferent.

quiet room. clean. comfortable bed, price-ratio compared to other others is better.

We stayed there for 2 days without air conditioning.

We stayed there for 2 days without air conditioning. We had to open the window to get some fresh air especially during the night but too noisy if you open it. We kept complaining but they said whole building was hot. Not recommendable for friends😔

We highly recommend this cute charming modern hotel.

Nothing special, except the A/C a bit noisy for us.

The breakfast price seems a bit expensive, but must be worth the money. Unfortunately, we cannot tell, since we never take it at the hotel. Hotel restaurant offers basic but good tasting food at fair price. Room, bathroom cute and neat. Large comfortable sized bed. Hotel is located in a very nice area with beautiful trees in blossom; peaceful area, close to our business place. Parking was not free, but we were glad the hotel made available a parking slot for our car. We didn’t use it during our stay since our business place was at 10 minutes walk. Late check out was available and much appreciated. Staff smiling and very helpful. Nice restaurant with good food close by.

Good option

The room was a bit small, with the bed sticking to the desk: i needed to work and that wasn't very confortable. The bed and the pillows aren't great either, to be honest.

Nice hotel, clean, in a calm area of the city, out of the swarmy city center and the EU neighborhood. The staff is very nice: i wanted to dine but i arrive a bit late and the kitchen just closed, but the waitress was so nice to invite me to a beer and a little snack!

The balcony was very nice.

I was staying at room 701 and there was noise from the AC. I told about this problem the first day however it wasn't fixed. So I had hard time sleeping. Also the parking is insufficient. At the first day they told us that the parking was full.

The balcony was very nice.

Extremely nice and comfortable hotel, with very nice and...

The location is unfortunatley not too near to my usual meeting places, I had to change more than once to get there.

Extremely nice and comfortable hotel, with very nice and helpful staff, and with a simply marvellous breakfast.

Will book again!

Expensive breakfast (14€/pers)

Location is great! We checked in quite late but did manage to find an excellent restaurant near by and catch a drink. Room is good value for money and the bed is super comfortable.

I wouldn't stay at this hotel again. Too far from the railway stations for me and overpriced
    • Premium Double or Twin Room with Terrace

The room was very small for the money and there was very little space for working. On a nice summers day, you could work outside on the terrace I guess. There is a deep step up to get outside. There was a horrible smell in the room. The water was very slow to drain away and quite noisy. That may be what is causing the smell.

Terrace will be lovely in the summer. A robe and bath slippers were provided which was great. The bathroom was well lit, spacious and well fitted. There were rooms available and I was stuck with no where to stay due to a mix up in my booking. The bed was large and comfortable. Free glass bottle of water provided!

• Premium Double or Twin Room

The hotel needs renovating. There were unpleasant smells in the corridors and the water pressure was not right. My shower kept going from cold to hot and remained cold at the end.

Size of the room

Overall good

No kettle in room although tea and coffee supplied! When I asked at reception was told a kettle only supplied with premium rooms. Surely a kettle in all rooms would be a reasonable expection.

Nice clean room and bathroom. Comfort bed. Good breakfast with a lot of choice.

Great choice if you want to stay in Saint Gilles

The check in took almost 30 minutes, due to the long queue. During peak hours (i.e. late afternoon) there should be more than one employee attending at the desk.

The position. If you're interested in Belgian beers, you can't miss a visit to Moeder Lambic, which is a few minutes walk from the hotel.

Everything from the check-in to check-out was perfect, the...

Everything from the check-in to check-out was perfect, the room was really comfortable and also very clean. The staff was really friendly and helpful. The locality was also very good - city centre is just a few minutes by tram.

I enjoyed my stay. I would recommend the hotel to my friends.

Gym facilities were very basic. The room was clean but the bed making was done in a very quick way. Basically they just arranged the pillows and the quilt a bit.

Super clean and in a nice location.

Location, amenities, cattle and toiletry in the bathroom.

Few amenities brocken like the tab of the bath; the cleaning was ok but not fin the beginning...

Location, amenities, cattle and toiletry in the bathroom...

Great place to stay for solo travellers who need a comfy bed and fast internet.

There was a bit of a weird smell in the room at first...the room did look perfectly clean though.

The internet speed was excellent. The location of the hotel was convenient. The facilities were ideal for the price I paid.

The heating was to high and hotel couldn’t put it down The restaurant was always closed , it was only open the 1st day that I was there and it was only open from 6pm to 10:30 pm

Great value for money - thankyou.
    • Standard Triple Room

Air conditioning seemed to be warm air only, could of done with cold air. Noise of linen contractors at midnight was really loud and lengthy! Didn't know whether toiletries were complimentary. The hotel was too warm, even for winter.

Great location, friendly and helpful staff. Room was extremely clean, kettle in room and fridge was a pleasant surprise.

Never again!

They miss the reservetion. They ask for monney when it was prepaid, the charge the breakfast two time. The room was not ready on time. They made wrong invoice ob the wrong name.....and absolutely not friendly.

Great value for money
    • Premium Double or Twin Room

The WiFi was not working very well.

Comfortable an quiet room at the top floor. Large bed, nice bathroom with bathrobes and slippers. Breakfast until 10.30 and check out until 12, the advantages of a Spanish chain. Friendly staff.

Clean hotel worth considering

The main gripe is without a doubt that the internet was very poor and choppy. There seems to be a duplicate location on Google Maps so we were a bit disappointed that the location wasn't as central as we had thought (not the hotel's fault but they could try to update Gmaps to avoid the confusion).

Very clean room and bathroom. Friendly staff made us feel welcome. Good value for money. Close to a tram line that takes you to the city center.

Nice stay in quiet zone.

Pillow too small and tall.

Spacius room, with friger and electric pot with teas and coffee. Quiet area with transportation very near, but is located not near of the centre. Friendly staff. Breakfast good enough.

Room and bathroom size, breakfast with freshly prepared eggs...

Very limited number of electric sockets in the room, not reliable wifi connection, no possibility to stop heating in the room

Room and bathroom size, breakfast with freshly prepared eggs, terrace in my room.

Near the chatelain district a nice hotel with good amenities and rooms

Coffee not very good. Look of the building from outside.

Good croissants at breakfast. Decent amenities in the room. Either recently renovated or very well maintained. Staff at breakfast very nice and smiling.

...the smell in one of the floors was highly intense and...

...the smell in one of the floors was highly intense and inside the room as well; requested to change and this was addressed the next day by the management.

Nice hotel, but a bit expensive

Apparently, they have a pb with their magnetic keycards. Other guests seem to have pbs, and on my 2nd night, my key was demagnetized, but I had to wait 15 minutes to get in my room at 23:30 (nobody at the desk during 10 min, and finally the staff had to come with me to open the door after unsuccessful trials).

Everything was nice and perfect. The breakfast is gorgeous, but a bit expensive (14euros) if you do not eat too much in the morning. The hotel is not in Bruxelles center but you have a direct tram close to the hotel, and you need only 15 minutes to reach the city center.

Functional hotel but lack of air conditioning (even though this was advertised) was not good.

Air conditioning was useless - only put out hot air... Door on wardrobe fell off - just one of those things. Bedroom itself seemed cramped. Very limited car parking in the basement ~ 10 spaces. €13 a day.

Good size bathroom.

On the card received at the hotel there was a statement that...

On the card received at the hotel there was a statement that I should pay for WIFI (around 4,5 EUR). I am not sure if this is still valid instruction, since "all" the hotels nowadays offer a free WIFI on the other hand I didn’t bother to check if this WIFI policy is still active in this hotel.

Nice cosy stay in Brussels

Extremely friendly and courteous front desk. Excellent free wifi, got even before check in!!! Nice breakfast spread. Me on strict vegetarian diet could also find several healthy and tasty options. Sadly, had only one night to spend there! Location of hotel perfectly suited the meeting and dinner location, both walking distance (Also near to Art Store: Schleiper Bruxelles, which I wished to visit)

Okay, other than breakfast

Breakfast was awful, I appreciate it was a serve yourself buffet but I didn't expect to have to set my own table and find my own crockery and cutlery, not a table had been cleared when I arrived.

The bed was comfy, the room large and airy

All was great and good value.

I missed the iron board and the breakfast was a bit simple but descent. Coffee was the only really bad feqture.Staff took a little longer to attend to shortages in breakfast, replace cutlery etc but overall great value for money and excellent staff.

All was great and good value.

Good for overnight stay or short city break.

Dinner menu fairly limited but fine for one night

Quiet location which suited us and not too far into the city centre (about 35 minutes to walk). Convenient tram stop close by as well. Good size room with comfortable bed. Friendly, helpful staff. Secure underground parking for about 6 cars but very narrow doorway for access.

Nice, warm and friendly atmosphere.
    • Premium Double or Twin Room with Terrace

There was nothing to dislike.

The general atmosphere of the property and the willing of staff to assist in whatever your needs were. There was a large selection and variety available for Breakfast.

Classy friendly hotel at a reasonable price

parking garage has a very steep descent, but was fine.

Helpful staff, comfortable bed, convenient location in a quiet suburb, nice bathroom and a good breakfast

Good deal
    • Premium Double or Twin Room with Terrace

Double windows could not be left open to air the room. Noisy airco.

I had a room with a deck. Great views. Room was a bit small but nice. Very good price-quality.

They provided an iron and ironing board upon request.

They provided an iron and ironing board upon request. Towards the end of my stay I was sick and they did their best to help. They are generally friendly and effective. I have used this hotel already twice and will use it again if I travel to Brussels.

The bed was like a cloud, the food was son delicious, thé...

I did not find something wrong!!

The bed was like a cloud, the food was son delicious, thé omelette was cooked as I like. For 14€ it's amazing. I was surprise in a good way. This hotel blew my mind. I'll come back because it was clean, no noise, amazing bathroom.

We got a free upgrade to a superior room with Jacuzzi...

We got a free upgrade to a superior room with Jacuzzi without asking for it, probably an overbooking for the normal rooms, so we can't complain! Great location in Brussels.

3.1
    Warning for unreliable hotel!

This hotel has serious management problems and totally lack control over their booking system. Due to a family reunion with a number of people flying in from Europe to meet in a certain area of Brussels, I made a reservation for three rooms more than a month in advance and got a clear confirmation. The evening before our departure to Brussels (!) a young receptionist calls to inform about a problem, namely that they have no rooms to offer!! Instead they offered the possibility to stay at another hotel 3 km from there and a free breakfast (!) I commented that they can't be serious and asked questions about the root of the problems but got no answers, other than that the young girl has been ordered by her boss to call me and give this information. I asked for the manager but was not allowed to speak with him. The young girl came back with the same message and was not allowed to let me through. The arts of keeping agreements and treating visitors well (or even as guests) are obviously not known to this hotel under its present management. I strongly advise other visitors to avoid the hotel if it is important to you keep agreements, to be treated with respect and to have the room you booked available at your arrival.

Nothing, since the hotel didn't welcome us in spite of booking in advance.

I was forced to pay the hotel cost in JPY with my credit...

I was forced to pay the hotel cost in JPY with my credit card. I don't like it because the rate is bad... There were several troubles in the hotel facility, e.g. discharging water in the bathtub.

Italian class and style in Brussels's best neighborhood

Very stylish Italian hotel. Pays attention to small details. Everything is very intuitive. Very comfortable beds. Curtains block the daylight. Lovely staff.

Dirty hotel

My room was not clean and smelt bad , the sheets were dirty too..I was really disappointed with the hotel. It does not look like a Catalonia.

the staff is the best thing in the hotel. Specially Linda from Reception

Expected more for that price.

Couldnt sit on the bed against the wall because the bed had small wheels so you would push the bed away. The internet connection via Wifi had a very bad connection. Always drop out of the connection and have to reconnect.

You have a small fridge with little space left where you can put some of your stuff in.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Comfortable hotel and very good value for money

I would prefer if there was no home fragrance in the hall and in the rooms. The system to open a window is not very practical: to leave it open the 2 panes must be left at right angle and then it's not possible to draw the curtains to avoid being woken by the light.

The spacious and quiet rooms with large windows overlooking trees. Nice area of Brussels, beautiful street, although a bit far from the centre. The breakfast: good choice of fresh fruit (better than in most hotels) and eggs and even pan con tomato. No loud radio. The helpful staff. The wifi connection worked well.

Too hot but otherwise OK.

The room was turned up to 35 degrees before we came, boiling hot, and it never regulated properly for our whole stay even though I complained about it and we left the windows open at night despite this exposing us in our underwear to people on the street. We were concerned about our baby overheating. Also the lobby smelled.

The property was near our friends and convenient to public transportation. We had breakfast at a lovely little local place around the corner rather than at the hotel.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Comfortable hotel in a nice district

Breakfast was somewhat disappointing (was this because it was the weekend?) - no freshly squeezed juices, poor range of choices etc - and thus overpriced.

Friendly and helpful staff, very comfortable room with terrace.

Great hotel, highly recommended
    • Premium Double or Twin Room with Terrace

The wifi crashed for hours at a time, think this was unusual

Beautiful view, comfortable room. The wifi speed was amazing, when it worked. Staff was very friendly. Stored our luggage for us all day so we could explore Brussels

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

The room temperature control did not work in either room (we...

The room temperature control did not work in either room (we were booked two separate nights); each room was extremely hot, the only way too cool the room down was to sleep with the window open.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

A great weekend in Brussels.

I don't know !

Everyone was so nice. The location is perfect. We love the neighborhood. It's a classy welcoming place & there's a very good bar down the corner !

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

One thing I really was not at all happy about was the fact...

One thing I really was not at all happy about was the fact that my toiletries bag and make-up bag were filled with and left sitting in water in the bathroom on Day 2 after the bathroom had been cleaned........they had been left on a shelf out of the way of the cleaner so can't understand why they ended up soaked and full of water!!!! Aside from that the hotel was OK, clean and in a good location

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

Good but could have been better

I have ordered a taxi a day before for an early morning not to be late from the meeting. The taxi was not ordered without any explanation and the receptionist couldn't order another one as I it would come late. I had to catch my taxi from the street.

The room was very clean, quite and nice. The hotel was not far from the city center and it quite nice and friendly.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

Bon rapport qualité prix

The front desk staff is not very friendly, eg. lack of informations and availability to inderstand how to connect to wi fi

The district, the room furnitures, the bathroom, room service.

Decent business hotel

Walls are quite thin: I could hear other guests talking in the room next door, and also heard steps above my room. Breakfast was only average - and the coffee was really bad, impossible to drink it.

It's a nice and clean hotel, perfect for a business trip. I liked the fact that there was a bathtub. There was a quick room service and staff was very friendly. All in all, good value for money.