Reviews of Hotel A La Grande Cloche 2 stars

Place Rouppe 10, 1000 Brussels, Belgium

#109 of 215 hotels in Brussels

Free wifi is provided

The environment around the hotel is not very safe even it is 10 min walking distance away from the police station. My iPhone got pickpocket in front of the hotel. The carpet and the blanket in the room are dirty.

Free wifi is provided

The common toilet always was clean.
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

For 2 adults and 1 children (5 years), the room is too small and there isn't an extra bed. We ask for an extra towel but they only gave us two each day.

The common toilet always was clean.

Nice and cheap hotel to stay

The location is not very safe. But if taken care of belongings, the hotel is very good!

The management does its part of making the hotel safe by having security lock at the main door late at nights or when the staff is away on a break.

Goood location! And watch famous squares of Brussels as much as you want.

This hotel is very near to Brussels central station and Brussels Midi railway station. The famous tourist places of Brussels are in radius of 500m from this hotel.It has good location advantage.No need to take tram,metro or train to visit Brussels if you are staying at this hotel.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

The bed was uncomfortable and saggy. Would be better with a new mattress.

The staff were friendly and helpful. It’s alao a great location and close to the old city.

Fairly enough for you to rest and recover from your all day visiting places.
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

Bed comfy but I only provided with double bed for two. I booked for 3 pax (2 adult + 1 kid). We were too tired to argue the case. So just get on with it.

Lot of places to eat around the hotel and good walking distance to Grand Place.

The apartment for 4 people was excellent.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

Missing small fridge in the room. Not functioning TV. Complicated parking. Hotel doesnt have its own parking and there is not anything nearby or people at the reception dont know it. I was lucky that i found a place right in front of the hotel but was told it was a miracle. I dont like that i have to leave the keys at the reception when i leave the room. At night changes the reception and they gave me the key without checking my identity.

The apartment for 4 people was excellent. Two separated rooms but connected with shared large bathroom. Ideal for families. Large terrace, excellent for a smoker. Hotel in pretty good conditions. Digital safety box in the rooms. Wifi was free and well functioning.

Try to avoid this area

"Paper" walls gives you a feeling of participation in sex orgies in neighbour rooms, unsafe and very noisy area, no sink in WC (it is placed in the room instead), weak water pressure in shower, waiting for a hot water in shower takes ages

Good staff

First visit to Belgium and have a desire to follow it up asap.Thank you

Could have done with another easy chair in room but would probably have got one if we had asked!Maybe have a radio in room instead of a t.v. so we reduce risk of being unecessarilly distracted by the Media gods!

I came with my wife and was delighted to find a very active Franciscan Mission Church at St Anthonys ,only ten minutes walk away so was able to get fortified by the Sacraments especially the mass.Sorry we missed breakfast,would have liked to have sampled the coffee and croissants but location excellent for visiting places and v.good view of the Square with fountain.Thank you very much,Andrew and Rogerette Woods

Great location, friendly old traditional European hotel, if you want air con avoid!

The layout of the room was strange, it would have been good to have have toilet and sink adjacent rather than in two separate cubicles in opposite corners of a large room.

We were on a cycling holiday and there was secure indoor bike storage. It's an old hotel with no air conditioning but we were supplied with an excellent, quiet, fan to offset the exceptional heat.

Great location & value for money!
    • Small Single Room

I stayed in a single room - it was tiny but super cozy and clean. The front desk staff were extremely helpful and assisted with all my requests in a timely manner. The location was excellent!

I would still try to stay at another place if I had to do it over again.

No A/C... Cramped room with barely enough room to move around. One iron in the whole place located on the 1st floor. You had to go there to use it The WIFI was not consistent and I was kicked off a lot. One person that seemed like the head lady was not customer friendly. Could not even take a cup of coffee from breakfast to my room when I wanted to work. That was all I wanted. She could have been much nicer telling me it was not permitted instead of rudely brushing me off.

Great location between Grand Place and Midi Bruxelles. Breakfast was OK The help at the front desk were nice. The rest of the girls working in the morning were very nice except for the older lady who seemed like the head person.

Very nice small hotel very close to the city centre.
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

Very nice small hotel very close to the city centre. Wi-Fi was excellent. Every day we had cleaning in the room, fresh towels and replenishment of coffee and tea pockets. We were lucky to enjoy the street view from our room. It was also nice to have a kettle in the room, we can make tea & coffee anytime. We liked breakfast as well. Everything you need for breakfast you will get, except fried eggs, but for me it's not a problem. Staff was very friendly and spoke English, I mean the reception. At breakfast servants didn't speak English, but the service was quick and good. I would recommend this hotel.

Very agreeable

The privacy

This was a pleasant stay. We were a short walking distance from the centre hub. The room was clean and a short cab ride away from the train.

Nice, clean and spacious room and bathroom, bigger than the...

Nice, clean and spacious room and bathroom, bigger than the usual in Brussels. Very nice and helpful staff. Good breakfast with several options available. The surrounding area looks nice, with restaurants and cafes nearby and good connections to public transport.

Staff is very friendly.
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

Staff is very friendly. Hotel is good, room is comfortably sized, clean fresh bed sheets, toiletries was provided daily. Room in very nice decorated. Location is good, close to tourist attractions. Good value for money. I will recommend this hotel to my friends.

Convenient location, very clean and comfortable
    • Small Single Room

My single room had very efficient floor plan. Bed was very comfortable and room was very clean & functional but definitely not luxurious feel. I like my window open for fresh air. My window opened to the light well facing other windows on the interior (vs. street side) of the building. I could sometimes smell cigarette smoke or hear people having loud sex through their open windows. I imagine it’s not a problem for rooms facing the street side.

Convenient location, just 12- min to the central station. The staff is friendly, room very clean and bed very comfortable. Breakfast buffet was very nice.

The staff were very friendly and helpful!
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

The staff were very friendly and helpful! The location was excellent. Close to the station and could walk everywhere. I used a shared toilet but I never met people there!! I even thought I was the only one using that toilet. When I visit Brussels next time, I will definitely book this hotel again :-)) Thank you for a lovely stay!

Very central location, reasonable prices, helpful staff,...

The cost for printing a page - half a euro, seemed very high to us.

Very central location, reasonable prices, helpful staff, valuable advice, huge bathroom.

Cheap.
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

Be sure to double check if you book the one with shared toilet or not. I did find out I booked with a shared toilet after checked in. The room is a little old-fashioned.

Cheap. Comfortable room. Clean shared toilet.

Excellent Option for Downtown Bruissels

Very nice hotel, excellent location, just a 5 minute walk to the sights of Brussels, and 10 mins to Grande Place, but on the other hand in a quiet district. Car parking was great.

Pleasant stay, central, good value for money!

Less choices for breakfast, but still fresh and delicious.

very clean hotel. in a lively area, 10 min walk from Grand Place. Close to Zuid/Midi Station and Central Station. Friendly staff.

I’m satisfied!
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

The price was slightly more expensive than other hotels. My question concerning the shared toilet to the hotel via booking.com wasn’t answered.

The receptionist was really nice and helpful. Location was great.

The location is really convenient.

One of the staff weren't that nice. We got told by the receptionist on arrival that breakfast is free for both our kids 3 and 5 yo) but the next morning we got charged half price for both. The staff that charged us even said extra €8 was nothing when I told him we got told kids are free. Told the other staff that and he say will rectified the following morning during breakfast but we did not join the breakfast.

The location is really convenient. Close to the tourist attractions and food area. Old place but good for a night or 2 for the convenience.

Nice hotel very close to the center with friendly staff.

We had a room to the street and especially saturday night it was very noisy. On the bed were no duvet just an old whoolsheet.

Staff was very friendly! Location 10 walking minutes from the center and a very cool restaurant just on the other side of the street. Hotel is very clean.

Very friendly receptionists, hotel noicy and small room
    • Small Single Room

Very noicy at night, a motor switching on and off all the time. All items of breakfast ice-cold including the boiled eggs, women staff very noicy. TV hangs at the ceiling, you to stand in the room to see programm clearly. Room extremly small for so much money.

The men at the receiption very friendly and helped me to find my business addresses which was much appreciated. Next Metro station very close.

Lovely place
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

The fact that the toilet was on the hallway, but I knew that when booking, so no bad points from me here. Anyway, it was always clean.

Very nice building, friendly staff, attention to details

Brussels Fun!
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

We didn’t like that our room did not have a toilet - only a shower and sink. We had to use a shared toilet down the hall. It was very clean and never had a problem getting in, I must say.

We loved the location and how close we were to the Grand Place!

I would never go again
    • Small Single Room

The hotel is old, no amenities at all, no coffee maker, the room is smelly so as the towel, the hotel is pricy in relation to the level of the service provided, no safe box as well

The staff was really helpful and polite, the location is very good walkable distance from the Brussel Midi station, attractive spots, food, chocolate and square meeting point

Excellent!
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

We had a room with 2 bedrooms, the rooms were very clean, warm, comfortable, the bathroom was huge, the beds were comfortable. There were two balconies, one of them was insulated, in March it was possible to have breakfast and dinner there. The staff speaks English, helped to call a taxi to the airport. Location in the center, close to Grand place and Manneken Pis.

A pleasant place to stay in the heart of Brussels

Having to share the toilet with other rooms, but having said that, there was never a queue. There are rooms with private bathrooms though - definitely the family room across from us.

Lovely breakfast staff and the quirkiness of the hotel. The location was excellent as the hotel was in a quiet square, yet in the centre of Brussels, only a 10-minute (or less) walk to the Grande Place. Lovely big windows looking over the square really made the room nice. Also, the hotel was close to an underground station. The reception kindly let us store our luggage there on our last day as we had an evening train.

A nice stay not far away from the city centre
    • Small Single Room

I was looking forward to having a nice view from my room in the 5th floor just after getting the keys - unfortunately, my window was situated to the courtyard.

A great location near the city centre, pleasant and helpful staff, everybody speaking well English

Hi, We have stayed at the hotel for 5 nights, and we really...

Hi, We have stayed at the hotel for 5 nights, and we really liked it. The staff are very friendly and always eager to answer and support with any arising question. The location is great - just 10 min of walk and you find yourself in the heart of Brussels, on the Grand Place. The room was neat and tidy, the bathroom was spacious. The breakfast was moderate, not serving anything hot (like scrambled eggs or bacon), but it was nourishing in any case, and croissants were gooood :). Thank you! You just added to the wonderful impression and flavor of the city and our stay!

Good location, lift available although very limited space.
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

The interior somewhat oldfashioned, tv channels to local (majority french and dutch language)

Good location, lift available although very limited space.

A nice hotel in a quiet location close to the Metro and La Grande Place
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

Sharing the toilet, with only one wc per floor. However, family rooms had a wc, and we never had to queue - so okay. And there were paper seat protectors. No hot food option at breakfast, which is €8 - would be nice in the extremely cold weather we endured on this occasion.

The staff were polite at reception and the atmosphere was nice. It's in a good location - a quiet square in a very central location, close to Grande Place and the Gare du Midi. Our room looked out over the square with its big, lovely windows, which were double-glazed, so no traffice noise. Watch out when opening the windows though because you could so easily fall out. Make sure young children are supervised. The breakfast staff were jolly and friendly and the breakfast was adequate, serving the usual Continental breakfast fare.

Pleasant traditional style hotel. I would stay again.

Slightly expensive but I suppose the going rate in Brussels. Some noise from plumbing in other rooms late at night but nothing too bad.

Nice position, warm room on cold February Brussels nights. Comfy bed and very clean bathroom.

Nice location, friendly staff

The only issue was the 'electrical WC' which did not allow flushing paper in it.

Nice location, friendly and helpful staff. Classic old style hotel.

A great location for staycation
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

They charged me directly to the card though I chose the cash option one. Yet, it is not a big deal

The location and facilities are exceeding my expectation.

The room was just an obvious addition made in a corner of...
    • Small Single Room

The room was just an obvious addition made in a corner of the building, no real toilet and size of the room ridiculously small. When I got there the heating was off so it was really cold . Wanted to use a second pillow that I found in the closet but on it the sheets obviously hadn’t been changed as there were human hair on it .

Great hotel with excellent staff
    • Small Single Room

The shower could have been cleaner

Great facilities, nice and close to the main part of the city, staff were excellent and totally okay with storing bags until my train.

Pleasent stay

Our room was facing the main street and it was noisy. In the room there was a very persistent smell of something chemical.

Clean and very close to city center

Very nice staff, I felt welcome.
    • Small Single Room

The single room was extremely small, which is the only reason why I would not stay there again (or I would stay in a bigger room).

Very nice staff, I felt welcome. Quiet, although in city centre!

V.good location

Bed is not comfortable. Towalet and shower rooms are separated inside the room.

V.good location 15 minutes walk from the central station and 10 minutes walk to Grand place. Accepted breakfast. Nice staff.

Good location (10 min to Grand Place, 10 min to Gare du...

was a bit noisy from the club nearby, but it was Friday evening

Good location (10 min to Grand Place, 10 min to Gare du Midi), electric kettle and coffee&tea in the room, early arrival was allowed

The location was excellent and very convenient.
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

The WiFi connection was very slow and only 1 person can connect within our group. The elevator was not working within our 3 nights of stay. They should provide hot water heater and Mugs in the room.

The location was excellent and very convenient.

Good option if you want to stay in Brussels' city center
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

I requested an invoice by email but never got a reply. Breakfast was good but not exceptional.

Very comfortable hotel and good quality-price ratio. Very centrally located with some nice restaurants in the very same square. Staff are friendly.

Fantastic location. Good value for money.

Was told we wouldn't have to pay until we arrive at the property. The property took payment without our permission prior to our arrival. Was a bit annoying.

Great location. Reasonable price.

Friendly reception, quick check-in and check-out, easy to...
    • Small Single Room

Room in front of the lift - sound insulation of the door should be better.

Friendly reception, quick check-in and check-out, easy to reach with public transport, wide choice of restaurants and cafés around, at 12 minutes walk from Grande Place / city center. The room was small (but also booked as "small individual" therefore OK), all equipment in good condition.

Great location at a great price
    • Small Single Room

The room was small but comfy and clean (a few small stains on the chair in the room but otherwise spotless), bathroom great. Fantastic central location, great value for money and the staff were very pleasant.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Not recommended

Staff at the reception was not very welcoming, room was very noisy, i could hear people walk, talk and have sex as if i was in their room. Poor night in a bed i wasnt sure was clean.

Staff from the breakfast was nice

The room have not got toilet inside the bathroom and if you...
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

The room have not got toilet inside the bathroom and if you want go to the toilet you have to go out at hallway. There is a toilet for all rooms in four floor.

Within walking distance of both Bruxelles Midi train station...

Decent breakfast, but not the best coffee.

Within walking distance of both Bruxelles Midi train station and the Grand-Place. Spacious corner room with lots of light looking out on the square.

We enjoyed our stay as the view was great. The location is a 10 minute walk from Grand Place.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The rooms were a bit dated and there was a hole in the ceiling of the main bedroom. The comforters and blankets on the beds were very worn and had slight stains on them. The parking was very difficult. There is a parking lot attached to the hotel but we never saw an available parking spot the entire stay. We had to park in a parking garage about a 5 minutes walk from the hotel. If you have an SUV, it is a very tight fit.

We booked a family room and the area was very large. We had two bedrooms, a large bathroom and two balconies. One balcony was enclosed which was great since it rained the majority of the time we were there. Great features for the price. There were English channels on the television package.

Great hotel and a good location. Would definitely stay there again.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The staff weren't too talkative. I don't know if there was a language barrier or a lack of hearing. But we had a great stay.

Fabulous apartment for a family of 5 - two rooms connected by bathroom with a balcony and enclosed seating area. Fabulous views. Comfortable beds. Great bathroom. Limited parking right out front. Super close to the famous Manneken statue and a few blocks from Grand Place. Easy to walk to places. My daughter wants to stay there again.

Good location, good for exploring the city, nothing fancy but does the job

The hotel was way too hot. It was uncomfortable in the room at times and we had to sleep with the windows open at night in the middle of November. Toiletries weren’t added during the stay and they were a bit stingy with coffee and tea. They only made up the bed, didn’t actually change the sheets during the stay (5 nights). The reception staff changed every day and some were not very friendly. Certainly check in and check out were not very friendly, they didn’t really care at all, simply gave us the key and the bill when we left, no info given at all. The rooms need upgrading.

Great location, easy to get to the hotel from Gare du Midi where the Charleroi airport shuttle arrives, as well as train from Brussels airport (15 min walk). City centre only a few minutes walk away. It has all you need for a nice stay, although nothing fancy.

The staff were super friendly and hotel was conveniently...

Parking. Its not fun bringing luggage from parking a street over.

The staff were super friendly and hotel was conveniently located for some walking adventures.

I was horrified at the so-called fire exit arrangements.
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

I was horrified at the so-called fire exit arrangements. Signs on the first floor pointed the way along a dead-end corridor at the end of which was our room. A sign on the wall beside our room door pointed the way through our room! Moreover, there was no fire exit visible from the windows of our room. If there was a serious fire, and people followed the signs, they would be trapped.

Good for a short stay

No private parking Poor public parking space Safe to walk from this property to the center of Brussels. Not recommended to do it to the opposite direction after 9 p.m.

Close to center of city

Great location, value for the money

No refrigerator in the room.

Hotel has great location, very easy to reach Maneken Piss, and easy to reach from Brussels Midi station. Room are comfortable, bathroom was huge, well organised and clean.

Lovely Hotel, Perfect for a Short Stay in Brussels.

It was in a great location, it was clean, the staff were helpful and it is very good value for money. If I went back to Brussels I would stay again and would definitely recommend it.

Very Clean.. Great Location

Every time we went out the hotel, The front desk employee asked us to deliver the key

Boutique Hotel.. Very clean rooms The location is excellent Room was quite big and clean

Large room, comfortable bed, and security box in the room

When booking it was supposed to pay at the property ( no payment), but when I wanted to check out any pay, I was told that they had charged my card in advance!

Large room, comfortable bed, and security box in the room

Nice room (with shower) toilet outside but realy not a...
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

Nice room (with shower) toilet outside but realy not a problem. The receptionist parked my car later as the parking spaces were ful when arriving - nice gesture ! Very close to everything ! Can only recomand this hotel

Friendly staff, Ok location, clean and Ok small hotel...
    • Small Single Room

Friendly staff, Ok location, clean and Ok small hotel w/o any extras. Breakfast not bad but for 10 EUR you can find the same or a bit better breakfast from the nearby cafés.

location comfort accommodation

first taxi from airport at Charleroi was not welcoming and very expensive was unlike other taxi drivers during our stay

location comfort accommodation

Dont go there.. unclean room and rude receiption
    • Small Single Room

Bathroom and room smells.. bed sheet not clean.. drawers not clean.. extremly rude people at the reception .. dont go there

Nothing.. dont go there even if it is within your budgget .. the location is good but there are many other hotes around..

The best Hotel of our trip!

I have no complaints, this property was amazing!

I don't know if the man at the front desk owned the place, but he acted like it. He took great pride in being helpful and making sure that we were comfortable. I was surprised at how great the room was for the price. The largest most comfortable room of our entire trip. It was walking distance to most of the sites but just far enough away not to be touristy. I will be back for sure!

Watch out, the "small room" IS small: a closet with a shower in another closet
    • Small Single Room

Do pay attention to the text on the description. They have 5 TINY rooms along with bigger rooms. I had the smallest room I have ever had in my life and LUCKILY there was no one using the lift since it is less than a meter from the lift doors. Tiny blurry tv

Location, staff.

Good value for money
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

It would take 2-3 minutes of waiting for the hot water for the shower to come through. A kettle was provided but no tea, coffee, sugar or mug.

Room was clean, you could open the windows. Bed was comfortable. The city centre was walking distance. The main train station was walking distance. We had booked a room with a shared bathroom so were pleasantly surprised to find we had a shower in our room and only had to share a toilet.

Comfort and value for money

Didn't like the wierd electric toilet, but there is a regular toilet in the hallway if it worries you.

Lovely old hotel and nice room, staff very helpful and friendly. Good location if coming by train as between station and old town.

Good

The only thing that i didnt like is that there is no Ac but a fan

The location is perfect in the middle between gare midi and la grande place.there is a nice view on the a fountain.It was clean with two double beds and the staff was good.

There's no bathroom in your room and it's not...
    • Economy Double Room with Shared Bathroom or Toilet

There's no bathroom in your room and it's not specify when the book is made It specifies no credit card needed but you have to enter your card details 'just to confirm your reservation' and it doesn't say the payment for the accomodation will be done from your card. I was prepared with cash (euros) to pay at the reception and they told me they already withdrawn the money from my card (pounds). I was not happy with this transaction because I didn't allow it.

Good location and value for money.

No fridge in the room.

The location was very good, we did everything by foot. Although we only stayed one night, the hotel was very comfortable and most likely we will return to it when staying longer.

Very good.

Nothing. Everything was perfect.

A very good hotel. It is an old Dutch style hotel. But very clean rooms and neat bathroom. They even provide a kettle and tea/coffee sachets. Very close to all the attractions. You can see all the attractions by walk.

Brussels

The towels had a bleachy smell but it wasn't too bothersome. Room was hot, we only had a fan and no air conditioning but windows could be open so it was alright.

Located between Brussels-Midi and Central station (about 12-minute walk from each) and a 5-minute walk from the city centre (Grand Place, Manneken Pis, etc.) Bathroom was very large and beds were comfortable.

Browse Hotel A La Grande Cloche traveller photo gallery