Reviews of Hotel Van Cleef 4 stars

#1 of 101 hotels in Bruges

9.8

9.8

• Deluxe Double Room

This hotel was not a disappointment. It is not in the centre of the town, but only a 10 minute walk through interesting streets to get there. The hotel itself was lovely. The rooms luxurious, breakfast superb and the hotel had a lot of character.

• Suite with Canal View

Love everything about this boutique hotel. They serve very nice breakfast with selections of hot and cold menu. Love the hospitality which is far beyond expectation. Hotel is a bit away from the crowded tourist attractions, so it is quiet. Major attractions of town are about 10 minutes away. Very nice hotel decoration and very comfortable room. Highly recommend the hotel for 2 nights stay in Bruges. Will definitely go back!

• Classic Double Room

I was happy with the first look of the hotel, seems classy, cosy, upscale. However.. Room with a very unpleasant smell (avoid room 9, maybe others are better). I thought first that it is from the canal outside, but in the end it proved to be a smell in the room itself. Maybe the carpet? Don't know and I haven't asked because I did not want to ruin my weekend. Breakfast really mediocre for such price, cheap products directly on the plate, fruits faded, probably cut one day before and stored.. When you pay 275 E plus breakfast and parking (for a 4-star without any facility - no spa, no sauna, no evening restaurant), you would expect at least the water to be on the house. Well no, you pay 3 E for a small 100 ml bottle. It's not the price, it's just the feeling you get.

Good bed. Nice decoration of entrance/ common areas/ restaurant. Good location. Good concierge

Everything was just perfect

Everything was just perfect! Very knowledgeable and welcoming host, wonderful welcome drinks on a beautiful terrace, amazing staff, great room, great location

• Classic Double Room

I just adore this hotel. Amazing interior decoration, super nice staff and best breakfast with a view. My favorite getaway! The most elegant hotel where you also feel super cozy.

• Standard Double Room - Annex

Hotel van Cleef is the very definition of uniqueness in good taste, style and comfort. Everything is well thought, the contrast between elegant old architecture and modern art, best in class comfort compared to the best hotels in the world and yet, preserving the good old human modest treatment by welcoming your guests with a humble smile to bidding them farewell with fruits and water for the road. I wish the best for the owners and all employees of this magnificent hotel.

• Standard Double Room - Annex

All in all, we had a very pleasant stay. We had a room in the annexe building. The room was spacious and very quiet. We arrived in the afternoon, but we didn’t notify the hotel that we arrive by car. It was not a problem and we could use the hotel parking. The hotel staff was very welcoming, and they even make restaurant reservations or give you recommendations what to visit in Bruges. The interior design of the hotel is amazing. You just feel like being at home. The breakfast is served at the table. It’s a nice change to the typical buffet style breakfast, you normally get. They serve pastries, different sorts of bread, cheese, ham and fresh fruit. In addition you can take yoghurt, pancakes or waffles. We would certainly return to this hotel when staying in Bruges.

• Standard Double Room - Annex

The room was in an annex and was very small and not in par with the rest of the hotel. The toilet did not have a door but had beads hanging to establish a failed attempt at privacy.

View from the lounge patio was great and the service was excellent.

• Deluxe Double Room with Canal View

Hotel Van Cleef is an extraordinary place to stay with an incredible location, ambience and comfortable rooms and suites. The breakfast and afternoon tea are superior, as is the attentive staff; ready to respond to any needs during your stay. A major highlight of our trip to Europe!

• Suite with Canal View

The staff were incredibly friendly and went above and beyond in responding to questions. We were given printed restaurant suggestions and a special list for my son who loves waffles upon returning from dinner in town. Our bed was comfortable and our kids had their own loft. They loved it!!! Note: the waffles they made my son for breakfast at the hotel surpassed all we tried in town! The breakfast here is wonderful!

• Standard Double Room - Annex

The young women we had on the second night was very rude and we felt like we were being a pain. Resturant she booked was awful so we cancelled and found our own. We wished we had the young man the whole time. He was brilliant

We were welcomed by an amazingly good young man who booked us an amazing table at a restaurant called Cookies. He couldn't do enough for us.

• Classic Double Room

The hotel is a little gem, and we couldn't be more pleased. The rooms were extremely comfortable, the staff superb and the breakfast excellent. The fragrance in the hotel was beautiful and there are no words to describe how tastefully,thoughtfully and exceptionally the decor is.

• Standard Double Room - Annex

The only thing the hotel should be more clear on is the charging and options for breakfast. Whilst I fully expected to pay, you were automatically given a continental breakfast when you sat down that is chargeable, then they asked if you wanted a cooked breakfast or waffles which was extra. We were not given the choice or it was not clear enough. I would have just preferred just Waffles & coffee as they were start at 8 Euro extra. For two of us breakfast came to 50euro, bit of a surprise at check-out.

Lovely boutique hotel with a terrace overlooking the canal. Unfortunately February was far too cold for sitting on the terrace but in summer it will be lovely. The location was very good and quite easy to navigate to if your driving (and if you pay attention to Sat Nav!). The hotel is no more than a 10 minute walk to the main squares. Room was immaculate, and well presented. The bed was very comfy and the breakfast was delicious however see below about cost.

• Deluxe Double Room with Canal View

Welcoming staff who couldn't do enough for you. Beautifully decorated house with a home feeling. Everything we could have wanted and more

• Suite with Canal View

Understaffed. Bar cold with no open fire. A bit more of a walk to the market square than we usually like. Quite expensive. Bar staff rude to husband and another couple when asking to be served a drink, even though waited for 10 to 15 minutes already with no one there.

Beautiful hotel, lovely breakfast, nice big room.

• Suite with Canal View

Nothing we were very satisfied

Staff went the extra mile to look after us and make us feel welcome Breakfast was a amazing. Hotel booked us two superb restaurants

• Suite with Canal View

The breakfast could be in the room price or more choice to be available for the basic price. Champagne for the breakfast to be part of basic price. Less expensive parking option to be offered. Wi-fi was not fully available (working) everywhere in the room. A bit small toilette.

Nice-looking design solution of the all hotel interiors and room. Warm welcome, good providing with first basic information. Quiet part of the Bruges town. Massage bathtub. Large, spacious, brilliantly lit room.

the hotel was more than excellent. The owner is a family and you feel the home concept in the hotel. The lobby rooms are quite atrractive, you can sit and have a wonderfull time with selected books, looking at the fire place. The hotel is very well decorated by the owner and I hope I ll see that kind of places all around Europe.

• Standard Double Room - Annex

We got a room without air con and mini bar plus mosquitos. I had a confirmation in my hand from booking.com that said it included aircon and minibar. The ownet himself was very mean. He said u didnt read the writing as you booked the cheapest room. I said I didnt see it informed no air con or mini bar and luckily I had my confirmation with me to show him that it said it had air con and minibar. The.owner Frederick looked at it and just said your confirmation is wrong bc it was from booking.com. He made no effort to apologize to me and just asked me to email the confirmation to him. During my argument with him he madee feel 2nd class and said if u booked a more expensive room you would have received aircon and minibar as middle east and south africans are used to air con where as for him being from holland he doest need aircon. I asked for a refund as I have never ever in my life slept in a non air con room. He said open the windows. I said their are mosquitos. He gave me fan and a mosquito machine and said this is all I can have. I asked for another room w air con and he said they were fully booked. When I checked in the I asked for an upgrade to the Hermes room but they said it was full but had another room for higher price. I said if its the same Missoni room then I dont need the upgrade. But what the front desk and everyone did not tell me was the room I booked has no aircon and no minibar. If they had the kindness to tell me that at check in I would have upgraded to anyroom with aircon and minibar. I demanded breakfast for free to which he did agree to but the entire experience ruined my trip to Brugge. As an owner he should have listened and gone thru the reason why I thought I had aircon and minibar but he kept saying you didnt read the details and you booked the cheapest room. It was 229 euros btw which I would have thought came with aircon and minibar. Extremely unprofessional and no sense of service.

• Classic Double Room

Very honestly nothing! It's already miraculous to reach this level of perfection and dedication

The immediate feeling by entry to be in a very tastefully private house An exceptional welcome! Top Clean! Owners extremely dedicated to perfection! The best ever breakfast I had!

• Standard Double Room - Annex

Room outside of the main building, light sewer smell in the room (seems a Brugge wilde problem)

Very nice facilities like the lounge and the orangery , close to the city center, good breakfast options. Very friendly staff.

• Standard Double Room - Annex

The building is really nice, nice entrance and bright and spacious seating areas. The location is great, only a few minutes away from everything downtown

• Suite with Canal View

The Belgian waffles with chocolate, strawberries and whip cream...the best we have ever had. On arrival we were greeted with champagne and lovely appetizers in the most beautiful setting sitting on the terrace on the canal.

• Deluxe Double Room with Canal View

Beautiful boutique hotel. We stayed in a suite over looking the canal. We had the pleasure of meeting Frederick and his wife who are the owners of The Van Cleef Hotel. The interior design was beautiful. We loved our room , cocktails and canapés when we arrived exquisitely delivered. I have worked in the travel industry for over 30 years and was one of the best hotels my partner and I have stayed in. Breakfast was amazing. We loved it so much as I write this review we are on our way for a 2nd visit !!

• Deluxe Double Room

We had a wonderful 3-night stay earlier this month. The location of this boutique hotel is excellent - on a canal in a quieter part of Bruges - and our top-floor suite was spacious and light-filled. While the common area decor was a bit formal for us (we spark to minimalism), the exceptional service more than made up for this style difference. The front desk staff and housekeeping were among the most gracious and attentive we experienced in our 3-week trip to Europe – certainly hallmarks of a luxury hotel. We thank you and will certainly recommend to friends!

• Classic Double Room

The layout of the room and toilet was no good. You had to close the bedroom door to get to the let side of the bed. The shower stall and toilets were so small that your elbows kept hitting the walls. There was a big gap between the shower stall glass door and the threshold and water would spill out from the gap into the hallway. The soap holder had gaps so large that the soap kept falling through. For the price of the room, breakfast should have been included and at least a free bottle of water. Compared to similar boutique hotels in Brugge e.g. Orangerie, the price is too high.

The decor in the common areas was nice and the location was within walking distance of the grand square and other places of interest

• Classic Double Room

I loved every single detail of the hotel decorations. the Staff were super nice & friendly. I had an amazing experience (the room, the food, the coffee, the tea, and everything). I highly recommend it.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Suite with Canal View

The mirror in the room is located in a tight spot making it almost unusual.

Everything; Location Decore Ambience Room size and view Breakfast And best of all the staff

Excellent service and everything for well taken care of! The food, the staff and the rooms all of it was way beyond our expectations! Would definitely reccomend this to anyone visiting Brugge. Special thanks to Mr Federik I think, for taking great care of us! Amazing art collection throughout the hotel! Great view of the canals! Brilliant breakfast spread!

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

• Standard Double Room - Annex

If you choose a big mattress, ask for a single one as two single one put together leave a hole in between...

Everything, exceptional services and Location, clean, cosi and comfortable. Personalized services and personnel always available.

• Standard Double Room - Annex

Design, cleanliness, friendly and welcoming staff. Breakfast is great, not a buffet style, but a la carte. One of the best kept properties we stayed in. Great attention to detail.

• Reviewed: 3 April 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Minor grumbles, bed a little soft, breakfast a little fussy, shower a little cramped. In common with the rest of Belgium you can't get a decent latte!

A lovely hotel with some designer touches in an old grand house by the canal. Walking distance of all Bruges has to offer.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Classic Double Room

Only a minor point, would be nice to have a lighter option at breakfast.

Beautifully presented afternoon tea and breakfast, served on lovely plates and silverware. Property is wonderfully decorated and the staff were so professional and attentive.

• Standard Double Room - Annex

Because we were located at the annex of the hotel we felt a bit left out. Didn't get a chance to explore inside the hotel much. It looked amazing tho.

The staff. They were very welcoming, nice and friendly. Good knowledge of the city and gave best recommendations for places to visit or eat. Our room was nicely recorated but was a bit small. Nice and clean tho. It was quiet and we could get good night sleep.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Excellent experience from checking to checkout. Friendly and helpful staff and wonderful breakfast! And the orangery is lovely place to have an afternoon tea

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

• Suite

The room was very clean and open. I had a suite, and it reminded me of a cozy getaway. It felt so comfy. The jazzi tub was amazing! I soaked in it every night! It is centrally located to many beautiful locations in Brugge. There's so much to see and explore! I had breakfast one morning, and it was so nice! It came with a bowl of fresh, ripe exotic fruits, an assortments of breads, pastries, meats, cheeses, and coffee and fresh squeezed juice. It was amazing! I had it on my last day and I now wish I had breakfast there on my first day.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

Nothing to dislike!

See for yourself, photos don't do this place justice, suite was beautiful with all the finer details (even for our 9 year old daughter who had her own mezzanine, dressingown & toiletries. Hospitality was amazing...we received a very warm welcome from the owner, Frederick, and this continued throughout our stay by his Son and dedicated staff. Breakfast is a must & if you have any room left, their afternoon tea is divine! Gated private parking can be booked in advance and nothing is to much trouble - 5 stars 😊

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

• Standard Double Room - Annex

It is difficult to find fault in any aspect of our stay.

The assistance from the staff, both prior to, and during our stay was exceptional. Given the time of year (over the Christmas period) we were a little concerned that we might not find places to eat. We need not have worried as the help, advice, guidance and bookings on our behalf made for a delightful and seamless experience.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with Canal View

That we could not stay longer!!

A good location with a little distance from the centre. This is a magical hotel with heart and soul, and matches the wonderful city and location in which it is placed.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

• Standard Double Room - Annex

The staff and service were incredible, beautiful interior design, delicious long relaxing breakfasts. Really happy we chose to stay at Van Cleef. We were in one of the annex rooms which was next door to the main building but equally as beautiful. Couldn't recommend this hotel enough.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

• Classic Double Room

The room was a little warm for our liking (even at this time of year!) but nothing that couldn't be solved with adjusting temperatures or opening the window.

Staff could not be more helpful. Went out of their way to ensure we had the best stay!

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Classic Double Room

Would be perfect if you would provide tea and coffee facilities in the rooms.

Very helpful staff....beautifully decorated, quiet but in the centre of things.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

• Standard Double Room - Annex

Our room was in the annex. It is a lovely room, but it has so many objects in it that there is really no where to put ones things. Also some of the furniture is so vintage as to be hard to use. There is a hassock with the springs coming through and the couch is old and not comfortable (although it looks nice). The room has many lamps, but all of them together did not give sufficient light to find something if you dropped it on the floor.

The common spaces in the hotel are extraordinary. There are several rooms for sitting or having a drink that are simply beautiful. The staff is genuinely friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel is fantastic: right on one of the canals and a short walk to everything you would want to see in Bruges. We liked it so much we extended our stay one extra day.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

Leaving

This wonderful hotel exceeded my expectations. Mr Friedrich and his family were charming, friendly, helful & hospitable. Excellent service, lovely breakfast setup, beautiful terrace, charming classy reading room and very comfortable rooms. Thank you for making my stay welcoming and comfortable. Will be back for sure

• Standard Double Room - Annex

Fantastic interior design, like walking into a glamorous Hollywood movie set from a much earlier era. Staff really went out of their way to accommodate. Even gave us a surprise gift, as we were there for our honeymoon.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

• Standard Double Room - Annex

Prices for extras at breakfast and lack of facilities in bedroom

Fabulous terrace overlooking canal Beautifully designed and decorated Gorgeous rooms but no safe, mini bar, air con, coffee/tea facility etc Exceptionally friendly and helpful owner and staff

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

• Classic Double Room

Simply wonderful hotel. Planning on returning next year to Brugge and will be staying at Hotel Van Cleef! Great location and interior finishes are exactly what I was hoping for in this boutique hotel. Stunning.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

• Standard Double Room - Annex

We stayed in a room to the left of the main hotel, but it had very poor wifi connection. Also there was no place to put anything in the shower which was a little annoying. I would stay here again though but hopefully in an area of the hotel with better wifi.

Beautiful hotel, great location, great food/drink and staff was amazing. Lovely terrace and was greeted with a drink and snack, and departed with a bottle of water and an apple. Loved my stay.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

• Classic Double Room

Everything! It was like staying in someone's private home. Decor is beautiful and luxurious. It is cheerful and bright and the staff is extremely welcoming.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with Canal View

Best hotel ever! Very confortable, excellent service and staff with personalized attention. Beautiful terrace right next to the canal. Definitevely my new benchmark for fine hotels from now on!

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

• Suite

The service was really good and the staff is so friendly. We felt spoiled. Its a beautiful hotel and the location by the Canal is Lovely. I would recommend it to everybody that would like to treat themselves.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

Despite the late hour of arrival at the Hotel Van Cleef we were greeted with warmth and hospitality by the manager Frederik. Throughout our stay he and hotel staff demonstrated that they uphold the very highest standards in hotel service. In addition, the hotel has a beautiful exterior, artistic and tasteful interior design, a terrace on the canal (where breakfast is served), and it's very well located to visit Brugges. A unique experience!

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

• Suite with Canal View

Rebecca was an outstanding hostess! We felt immediately like welcomed friends. The hotel maintained a sense of history and timeless elegance despite thoroughly modern updates and design. It was so close to all the points of interest yet "off the beaten path" which allowed one to forget you were in a tourist destination.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

The room could have used a big mirror other than in the bathroom, the smaller mirror in the dressing cabinet was not sufficient to check yourself before going out.

Service was excellent, very nice fluffy waffles for breakfast! Private terrace on the canal was a good place to wind down at the start or end of the day.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

The fact we could not stay longer than a night.

The staff were helpful down to the point of booking us a table at an eaterie that had a good vegetarian choice, especially as Bruges does not cater well for vegetarians let alone vegans. Loved the riverside location and the decor. Bathroom and shower were wonderful.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

All the staff were friendly, efficient and charming. We were treated more like friends than customers. Everyone seemed to genuinely care that we were enjoying our stay.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

Love the location, the modern feel and cleanliness of the place. Room was top notch. Staff was super friendly and informative. Gave some nice recommendations for local and not touristy restaurants.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with Canal View

Friendly and attentive management & service Beautiful facility and comfortable boutique hotel Location on the canal Excellent breakfast

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Classic Double Room

to park the car inside is a bit expencive,in my opinion should be free

Everything was perfect.position,And staff care,breakfast,cleaness.the design of the hotel is fantastic.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Suite with Canal View

Staff were really helpful. Breakfast was very good. Fruit, pastry, cheese, fresh juice. Always asked if you would like more. Cooked breakfast was also excellent.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with Canal View

From the personalized attention of the owners to both maid and culinary staff efforts both my daughter and myself felt extremely blessed. Top it off with a gorgeous terrace overlooking the canal and this was heavenly!

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

• Classic Double Room

Breakfast was expensive and did not offer any a la carte options.

Great location and wonderful staff. Beautiful deck area on the canal for breakfast and evening drinks.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

The terrace close at 11 PM I preffered if it not been closed

I realy would like to thank the family who managing this hotel Mr. Ferederic ,Madam Pascal and thier son Mr. Arnou for making our stay in Bruge wonderful. I loved the hotel's style and the rooms' decoration. the rooms space are large enough . The furniture are clean and new

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

No negatives!

This is a beautiful hotel in a convenient location, only a 5-10 minute walk to the main square. The staff were extremely welcoming and helpful. The decor (and smell!) of the hotel is gorgeous - very modern and clean. Would definitely recommend having breakfast at the hotel as it was delicious!

• Reviewed: 15 July 2016

• Classic Double Room

- Air Con didn't work property, problem known but couldn't be fixed due to weekend; no compensation/proactive apology even though room heats up a lot without air con, as do the hallways - Several bugs that were killed by previous guests still stuck to the walls in our rooms - Only wanted eggs and waffles for breakfast (as per the menu displayed at the door), were asked "do you want breakfast?" by waiter, but weren't given the menu but rather given (and of course charged) the entire standard breakfast with bread basket etc. that we didn't really want to order - Waited 20 minutes to complete check-out process due to only 1 person servicing reception and phone in parallel

+ Very well designed common areas + Welcome bellini + Very friendly, although not super-attentive, staff + Quiet + Very good and easy to use Wifi included in price + Pretty Missoni pillows

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

Staff was incredible. We stayed with 4 young children, all age 8 and under, and couldn't be more pleased. Location was perfect. Food (breakfast) excellent. We had suites on the third floor (each with a loft) and loved them.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Suite with Canal View

Hotel Van Cleef is a beautiful boutique hotel with very friendly and welcoming staff. When we arrived we were given a personal tour of the hotel along with some drinks from the bar, which we enjoyed on the terrace watching the boats go back and forth on the canal. We were also given a map and talked through all the different places that we wanted to visit and told the best routes to take, which was very nice and useful. The hotel is in a fantastic location, just a very short (and pleasant) 5-10 minute walk from the centre of Bruges. The hotel was a very quiet and peaceful escape at the end of a busy day of sightseeing. Our room was very comfortable, with a huge bed and nice lounge area. There was an amazing view of the canal out of the numerous windows that run along both sides of the bedroom. I would definately stay at Hotel Van Cleef again the next time I come to Bruges.

Breakfast should have been included

High Tea was a great experience

• Standard Double Room - Annex

The hotel is lavish, comfortable and the staff were amazing

Absolutely nothing

The Van Cleef team is just perfect. Fantastic hospitality. Not a thing to be blamed.

• Standard Double Room - Annex

Perfect service. Lovely breakfast.

Perfect !

Location, decor, staff and ambience

• Suite with Canal View

There is nothing I didn’t like.

Amazing atmosphere, most delicious breakfast, best staff...The most beautiful place to stay in Bruges.

The hotel was amazing it felt like home ..

Browse Hotel Van Cleef traveller photo gallery