Reviews of Van Belle Hotel 3 stars

Chaussée de Mons 39, Anderlecht, 1070 Brussels, Belgium

#177 of 215 hotels in Brussels

• Budget Double Room

We booked a couple for 2 people with a double bed, flat screen and air con. Upon arrival, the employee at the reception stated - we have better room if you arent happy with something when you see your room BUT FOR EXTRA CHARGES. When we saw the room - there was a tiny old fashioned TV box with several channels and no air con - the bed was a good size and the bed sheets were clean - yet there was a lot of dust and dirt on the table tops and bedside tables. We dont think this was acceptable as we paid for a certain room with certain pre-determined facilities. Its not acceptable to tell guests to pay extra if they want to stay in a room which they had indeed paid for on paper before the visit. No hair dryer. Guests had to also be charged extra for parking - we were charged 15 euros for one day 3pm upon our arrival, till 3pm the following day.

I was unlucky that the neighbor next door was noisy around 2am and climbed outside of window to balcony which links all the rooms. the window has to be open for airflow, with people walking passing by, i dont feel safe. there sounds more than two people next door too. very bad sleep i had.

Wifi is quick so i was able to do some work smoothly. the location is 10 mins walking distance away from train station and the centre which is reasonable.

• Standard Triple Room

Close distance to the Grand Place. Clean, comfortable room. Reception was lovely and gave us some really good recommendations what to see in the city.

• Budget Double Room

The neighborhood is loud and feels a bit sketchy at night. Though the lobby and downstairs has been updated, the rest of the hotel has not. The room was tiny, the carpet was old and ratty, and the whole place felt like a place where long term social welfare recipients live. The listing stated the hotel provided free shuttle service to the train station, but we were told they discontinued that in January. Overall the place is good for a night, but you could do better elsewhere.

The location is a 15 minute walk from the South train station Midi. It's about a 20 minute walk to the old part of town with the cafes, bars, attractions, etc. and the staff was very friendly and efficient.

• Budget Double Room

The pictures are a lie. It is an awful hotel very dated. With old furniture and carpets. The dining area is awful and depressing. The tv didn’t work and the whole hotel is in desperate need of a makeover.

We only stayed for one night so that made it bearable.

• Standard Twin Room

The hotel is quite close to Brussel Midi train station, the reception and bar were really beautiful. The room was very clean, and the staff was very friendly. Wifi signal was good, strong.

there is no air conditioning in the rooms, so we had to sleep with the window open.unfortunately the noise coming from directly outside the hotel meant that we struggled to sleep while staying here .so avoid room 220 if you can!there was no hairdryer available in the room , which is a necessity when you have long hair! and is normally provided in a hotel room.there is very little storage space one ril and a hanging storage thing.the area around the hotel is not very well looked after,lots of litter and roadworks and construction going on.

the hotel was nice,it was spotlessly clean.the staff are very polite and helpful.the bathroom is a good size for the room and the shower cubicle had plenty room.there is a nice bar area.

As above.

Location was awful, really run down and streets full of rubbish. On arrival, staff were miserable and staff when leaving were lovely. Room and hotel were nice though but 15 euros for off street parking was a bit steep considering all the other hotels cost 5. The hotel was stylish including the room but I was disappointed in our twin room, one of the beds was a foldable put up type.All together though it was ok but I wont be returning. Thanks. Ian.

• Standard Twin Room

Location was awful. Very shady neighbourhood in Brussels, every return at night into hotel was a genuine horror story and very afraid for safety. Would recomend to stay away from this place.

Everything inside the hotel was great, like another world compared to the the neighborhood. Stuff was friendly. The room was new and clean. Everything went smooth about the hotel experiance.

• Standard Triple Room

Ensure the room you booking is refurbished one as the hotel is being refurbished. You will not notice the building work while there at all.

Staff were very friendly, knowledgeable and courteous. Nice and very clean in "new rooms" with top of the range facilities i.e wi-fi, TV, shower etc... beds were also comfortable. Good transport link.

• Standard Triple Room

Bathroom had cobwebs on the ceiling, had a kind of old building feeling. Area was not very nice. A kettle in the room would have been nice.

Walkable distance to railway station and city center.Bed was very comfortable and staff were helpful. Room gets really warm in summer, but thankfully staff helped us with a fan on request. Value for money.

• Standard Twin Room

Room wasn’t anything like the photos portrayed, small and outdated but generally clean. Charged 16 euros on check out for a breakfast which we had already paid for the day before. Took the shine off an enjoyable stay.

Very friendly staff. Great variety of drinks in the hotel bar, Good location - roughly 20 minutes walk into the city centre of Brussels.

• Standard Triple Room

The room was very basic, we stayed for two nights after first night I had some rashes on my face and legs, which I realised later were the bed bug bites, as the second morning my back both arms and legs had several bite marks which started to spread all over. I checked the bed and found bed bugs, I showed it to the staff who said he was sorry to hear but can’t do anything, I need to let the owner know.

• Budget Double Room

They do not offer a shuttle as advertised in booking.com or their website. The receptionist told me when I arrive at 11pm at night to call for walking directions! (I’m a single woman walking at night in a foreign country, yeah right) No apology, nothing! Absolutely vile! Room was a health hazard and an absolute shambles! I spent 10mins in the room and realised it was so dusty when I was struggling for breath and had to take more than the recommended dosage of my asthma pump and antihistamines. The bathroom was dirty. Hair found in the shower and bath. The lampshade was dusty. The TV was one that my parents had many years ago (the one with the big back) and it didn’t even work. There are signs saying “lock your doors”... what a way to make someone feel safe and comfortable during their stay. The walk to get to the room made me feel like if there was a fire I would make it out the hotel alive or if I screamed for help no one would hear me. I requested another room during to the health complications caused I was told I needed to pay for another. After refusing, he gave me another, it was so bad I had to ask for my original room back and suffer. The staff are rude and non helpful. Had one person who spoke English on reception at the time and he went away for about 10mins. At one point I was in floods of tears begging someone to help me and they just stood and watched them asked me “madam what do u want me to do”- very blasé. The to top it of I got what I imagine to be bed bug bites on the 1st night (seeking medical attention today) pics included. Yes it’s a budget hotel but I at least expect it to be clean.... it was far from it. I at least expect good customer service.... I didn’t get that. It was over priced for a budget hotel. I left the hotel and Belgium traumatised and hurt.

5mins taxi ride from station. This is all I liked about the hotel.

• Budget Single Room

Strange problems with lighting in room. Bathroom on the small side. No air conditioning in room and a bit noisy outside.

Smart foyer and downstairs areas. Useful location for centre of city (about 15 minute walk) and Midi station (about the same). The area has a rough reputation, but appears to have improved. Very speedy lifts for a building that seemed quite old.

We felt great leaving the hotel and never returning back there again. The area also unsafe.

Sadly nothing, its a very poor service and there are no basic amenities in the rooms and the location is extremely bad

• Budget Single Room

Misleading pictures on website. Avoid this hotel in brussels! Unsafe and very dirty location. Less staff and no cab service as mentioned in the description. I would not recommend staying here as the location is not safe at all. Two guys even got mugged and attacked from the review on tripadvisor I wish I saw before. I booked based on the pictures listed on the website. Upon arrival we found the hotel in the middle of a ghetto worse I ever seen. The hotel looks great from outside. What they don't show is the old building kidding behind the facade. We got lost going through the maze of hallways looking for our rooms.

• Budget Double Room

There was no ironing board or hairdryer in the bedroom. Couldn’t figure out the phone to call down to the front desk. The walk from the train station is not through the best of areas.

The front desk staff spoke English. There was a TV and safe in the bedroom. It was comfortable and clean.

• Deluxe Double Room

Staff at reception desk could have been more helpful. Surroundings not entirely what you would expect if you're looking for typical Belgian neighbourhood...

Helpful manager, great breakfast

• Standard Twin Room

Neighborhood did not feel like it was the safest. But it was oke and close to the city centre. And another downside of this hotel was the temperature in the room. It felt very warm, so it was hard to fall asleep. But still slept very well because of how soft the bed was.

Room was very clean. There was a mini fridge which I liked. And the bed was super comfy! Staff was also very helpful and friendly. Perfect one night stay.

• Budget Single Room

In fairness to some of this, I got a budget single room. But here is what I didn't like: the neighborhood didn't feel safe, I received undesired attention on my way from the train station from multiple men as a solo female. The closest train station to get from the airport is quite far away. The wifi is not great. The rules/info sheet is outdated, as it mentions a premium wifi you can purchase. As I had a business call, I wanted better wifi, but when I asked about purchasing it, the receptionist had no clue what I was talking about and just printed a copy of my reservation bill and had no understanding. The building itself feels so outdated, like an elevator that doesn't feel super safe. The tub/shower had a weird half-step to where you can't stand comfortably in it. When I asked for a cup of ice, the man at the bar acted like it was the biggest inconvenience. The walls are very thin and you can hear people across the hall. You also aren't very close to the city center - you are better off paying more money for a hotel closer to the center. The value of this hotel is not great.

The beds were relatively comfortable. Housekeeping is available each day. There is an electronic safe provided in the room.

• Standard Triple Room

Old room. It is not flat TV and there is no refrigerator. Noisy. It looks not safe area.

Nearby tram station. A bit far to reach Grand-Place by walk but it is possible.

Breakfast was continental, that should have maybe been a bit more clearer on website.

The beds were so comfy, had the best nights sleep ever, I'm a simple guy, plus I was on a stag do so was happy.

Nil

The beds are comfortable and bathroom is big (with bathtub!). Strong WiFi. Conveniently located. I especially love the breakfast; selection is decent with quality food. Receptionists and restaurant staffs are very friendly.

• Standard Twin Room

Day staff are really nice and helpful but unfortunately the night staff were not much help and rude. If you want a quiet location then this is not the place as it’s on a very busy street with traffic and noise from people outside didn’t bother me in the slightest over all great time in Van Belle

Room was really lovely and clean. And the shower was nice. Bed was comfortable and clean and the cleaning lady was lovely and cleaned my room on my stay. Bar man was very nice and polite. Hotel is close to everything and 15 mins walk to grand place

• Budget Double Room

The small budget room needs some kind of renovation but the receptionist offered us another room if we don`t like ours, yet it was nice and clean.

I liked the breakfast and the friendliness of the staff. One of the receptionists called us a taxi for the next day and the one who checked us in was polite and kind and gave us a Brusselle`s city map and told us restaurants for our budget. He helped us by telling us how to reach the Atomium.

• Budget Double Room

The location around the hotel is not so nice.

The personnel was very kind. The rooms were very clean, the bed was very comfortable. The hotel is close to the center. I really enjoyed my stay.

Water pressure in the shower was quite poor. Soundproofing is nonexistent: you hear people talking in a neighboring room like they are right next to you.

Breakfast is quite nice. Not far from the center. Everything is clean. Good free Wi-fi!

• Budget Double Room

Not a good neighborhood at all; terrible traffic.

Great place to stay, helpful staff and convenient bar. Comfortable room. Good food optipns around and about 10-15min walk from city center.

Could do with a kettle for hot drinks or coffee set and iron in the room.

Nice rooms. Small but comfortable. BF ok. 24h reception. Good value of money. Near city center.

• Standard Twin Room

Breakfast was poor, bacon ran out in the first minutes, no scrambled eggs and the sausages raw. WiFi and TV service was very glitchy and froze constantly (5-6 times every hour).

The Hotel is a very clean and interesting establishment. I liked the interior very much and the room. Everything was very clean and the staff efficient and gave excellent service.

• Standard Twin Room

Could have been cleaner, little bits of rubbish around the place was a big turn off for me. If it wasn’t for them, the place would have been so much better and would have made it seem more organised and looked after overall

Super comfy beds, classy interior, friendly and helpful staff

• Standard Twin Room

I was given a family room (I booked specifically for 1 person, but was given a room of 7 people) which had no equipments - no fridge, no safe, no cupboard. The room seemed just finished as there were wood shavings around the shelves. Reception staff in the morning - there was the same person both mornings, was extremely rude and absolutely not helpful. Hotel is not value for money at all - especially with the rude staff.

Literally nothing!

• Budget Double Room

The usage of the parking was not included in the price paid for the room and this was not clearly specified during the reservation. We needed to pay additional 15€ at the arrival.

The place is located in the Turkish/ Arabic district of the city which is not far from the city center (10 min walking distance). The room and the bathroom met our expectation. The staff was nice and helpful.

• Budget Single Room

Elevator is really old, rooms are in the old part of the building and need renovation. The furniture in the room remembers Napoleon times I think. And the hotel charged me for something extra, but I have no clue for what...

Reception desk and main hall are renovated and very pleasant

• Budget Double Room

The bed was amazingly comfortable. Very clean room. Staff were friendly, helpful and approachable. Hotel was in a perfect location, not too far out and not right in the tourist filled center. Parking was safe and easy to access. Couldn’t fault our stay here

The staff wasn’t able to communicate well in English which is acceptable however they took money from my stored card details and then didn’t acknowledge the receipt and asked me to pay again. So I had to pay again using my bank card and then had to contact my bank for refund of the first payment which their system took automatically.

• Deluxe Double Room

Even early in the morning most of the food was already gone and no replacement. The choice was also very little. Not in line with expectations. Also the erea was not nice

• Budget Double Room

The heater was off when we arrived in the room but we didn't notice. Outside was -2 degrees celsius, and when we arrived at 9 PM was very cold in the room. I went to the reception to complain, and the receptionist came in the room with me to show me hot to open the heater. After that it was super nice and hot and cozy in the room.

They upgraded our small room to a premium for free Room was big, big lcd(smart). The breakfast was excellent. You had a lot to choose from. Bacon, sausages, 2-3 kinds of cheese, yogurt, cereals, nutella, honey, milk, coffee, orange juice and a lot more. Great hotel per total. It's not central but it is in walk distance. 15 minutes from Brussels Midi and 20 - 25 from the Grand Place

• Budget Double Room

Small issues with the cleniness, respectively the bathroom vent was pretty dirty.

The location was great, 15 min walk to the center. The premises was fine and comfortable.

When you enter the breakfast room you come to another world, back to the 80th. But, they are about to renovate the whole area as you can see by the samples for the wall. The variety of the breakfast buffet is good, from different breads, cereals, spreads, yoghurt, boiled eggs and some warm bacon and sausages. It's nothing special but maybe they will improve after the renovation.

The new part of the hotel is in very good condition. Nicely decorated room with enough space for your baggage and clothes, very clean. The lobby is charming with music and a cozy atmosphere. The hotel has a parking garage that nobody can enter from outside.

Breakfast was not such a great experience, the restaurant is old, tired and dark, (expensive for food on offer) we took to eating at a local restaurant on corner of main crossroads (hotels recommendation) excellent food and really really great value, the owner is very welcoming speaks great English and can't do enough for you..

We were placed into the New hotel wing, although not quite finished, (needed final good clean to remove building dust, paint splashes throughout the little details etc.), it was a quite,light and bright comfortable room, with large shower room. Would recommend the new wing. Great location in 15mins walk to town centre, and 10min walk to Eurostar trains etc.

• Standard Triple Room

Corridor is so unclean and i seem to be bit by bugs immediately. Also the rooms besides the road are quite noisy at nights with car noises.

The lobby was nicely decorated like a boutique hotel, which increased the expectation actually.

The buffet area was too crownd

The hotel has a good decoration in their lobby and rooms, where big, quiet and super comfortable. The staff was super friendly and polite, and always answering any question.

it was the worse memory that i ever had. my room was blocked without an acceptable reason and the stuff was not accepting to open the door until 3 am.

We saw pictures of nice, renovated rooms. The lobby was amazing, but when we left the elevator, we felt like we were in a completely different hotel. It was old, disgusting, stains and cracks everywhere. We opened the door, and saw a television. Unlike we were promised on pictures, we didn't receive a flat screen, but one of those old, big ass TVs with the smallest screen I have ever seen. The matrass was so old, it really made a U-shape while lying in there. The walls were like cardboard, the noises in the room next to us seemed like they were happening inside our rooms. The bathroom was old as well, the sink wasn't clean and stained. Above us in the shower, you could see what was used as isolation (which should be covered up, since it gan cause itching). The sheets gave me a rash and itch. It was an awefull experience. Never again!

The lobby was nice.

In the 3rd night my stay, there was a group of students. It seemed they had no chaperon looking after them. As a result, I could not sleep until they went to bed around 03:30. Students should be placed to a separate flank of the hotel.

Breakfast and coffee at the cafe

• Budget Double Room

- the receptionist didn't explain us how to use buses, metro and didn't suggest us anything to visit in Brussel. He wasn't very welcoming. We could feel his unsatisfaction when we had questions about the staying. - walls are not soundproofing enough, we could hear other clients talking from our room. - Pillows are not pillows :)

confort, breakfast

Old decoration, Bad neighbourhood felt dangerous, noisy

Comfortable room, friendly staff, close to the city centre and the railway station, nice breakfast

• Deluxe Triple Room

I paid for Deluxe room and I've got Standard room. I think this is unfair and I consider it as theft.

Breakfast was nice and housekeeping did their job well.

Room was outdated but wasn’t a main concern unless you are staying in during the day. Walls are super thin so don’t recommend for a romantic stay. Man who checked us in was on the phone the whole time- gave us a key without little to no greeting.

Modern lounge, good location. Rest of the staff seemed very lovely- I guess we just entered at the wrong time.

• Budget Single Room

No restaurant, and none nearer than a good walk back to the train station. Only take away food nearby. Bedroom rather tired, in need of a refurbish. Reception staff also had to look after the bar, so service was very hard to get. Not the fault of the man on duty. The local area was very run down, and not comfortable to walk around particularly at night.

Breakfast fine. Room, bed and bathroom clean and tidy

• Budget Double Room

Street was very noisy and there were lot of immigrants, but it was good , low price and multiciltural what I like.

Good locality, close to centre and also to Midi Station. Kind personal, helpful. There were maps of city and also public transport. The street was noisy but there were lot of groceries and good fastfoods nearby.

I got a room sporting the same colours like in the pictures, but 30 years older. None of the windows would close properly, letting winter's drafts in the room. The TV was from 50's and not working. Carpet miserable, mattress overly used, furniture from 1870 or older. But the worst thing was the noise: although at 3rd floor (avoid room 384), the feeling was that we were resting in the middle of the street: people walking, talking, cars passing by, honking, regular city noises not dampened at all. Unbelievable. Although the room was booked 1 month before, I had to pay extra 10 euros to get another functional room, which they actually had plenty of them (although Booking.com was stating there are only 2 rooms left at the moment of purchase). I have the strong feeling that the customers booking through Booking.com are getting this sort of low quality rooms and service at this specific hotel. Very unpleasant experience.

There is nothing to like.

The standard rooms were below average standard the description was retro style ... This actually translated to the rooms are old and not very pleasant to stay in.

The deluxe rooms were clean and modern

• Standard Triple Room

Breakfast area seemed not as updated as rest of hotel. Egg cooker leaked and toaster gave burned smell. Kettles in rooms for tea and coffee would have been an extra nice feature.

Very new clean hotel. Friendly staff and very kind to accommodate requests. Beds were super comfortable.

• Budget Double Room

The staff was supposed to speak Dutch, but only spoke French and English. The window didn't close properly.

Very nice hotel for a friendly price. The room was small but comfortable, bathroom was clean. The beds are comfortable. Relatively close to the city centre (10 minute walk). Simple but good breakfast.

• Small Single Room

During my stay there was some group of youngsters. It was so noisy and it looked like I am in the hostel not in the hotel. Nevertheless after my intervention in the reception hotelthe employees have silenced them.

• Deluxe Family Room

Tea and coffee facilities in the room.

Loved the family room, Very spacious. Friendly staff. Centrally located, secure parking. couldn't fault the hotel.

• Small Single Room

Photos of the rooms do not correspond to reality. Standard rooms are not renovated, furniture Is worn out, bathrooms stained with pieces fallen out. Carpets discoloured, mattresses and pillows too old and spongy. Not worth the price for double and triple rooms.

• Standard Twin Room

that fing i not like is cabourd not good for two personnel and olly one chair and pillow very smoll and soo smoll like for the beby pillow and the ben not plastic bang in sade.

your room was very clearn and woom and bed good quality and big espace smell very good.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

The rooms on the 4th floor are yet to be decorated so don’t look like the pictures. The walls are incredibly thin which impacted our nights sleep.

The reception area was well decorated and the parking very secure.

• Deluxe Triple Room

The shower is designed in such a way that water gets all over the floor. Other than that, no complaints.

It was very quiet and the front desk person was fabulous.

• Standard Triple Room

We have stayed there on numerous occasions and find everything excellent. Great location, we were able to walk back from the Grand Place every night.

• Budget Single Room

Cons: The location of the hotel is not very great, i did not feel safe coming at the hotel later in the evening. There was cigarette smoke coming into my room each and every evening; i'm a non-smoker and it became very frustrating for me to have to open the window just to have air (it's winter and quite cold). Sometimes i had smoke in my room until 2 AM, the smell was so strong that it kept me awake. The walls are paper-thin, you can hear clearly what your neighbors are talking or doing. The furniture is quite old.

Pro: Big room, comfortable bed, the room was cleaned every day, there is a safe that can be used, nice and clean bathroom. The staff is very kind and accommodating.

• Budget Double Room

The double room was with twin beds, although we asked for a double bed, they were just pushed together. The neighborhood was unsafe, there were police sirens every 5 minutes during the day. The description of the hotel location was a lie (200 meters from the center). It is more than a kilometer away. Public transport will cost you as much as a taxi since you have to change several means of transport.

The only thing I liked is that I found a hotel at a busy time in Brussels. Will NEVER stay there again. The real worth of the hotel room is 25 EUR per night, we paid 139 EUR.

We arrived at 4am and planned to leave the hotel at 3pm as we were only spending the day in Brussels - the hotel asked us to pay for a whole night plus an extra 15euros per room for the late check out. We agreed and had arranged this via booking.com well in advance but upon arrival at the hotel met an older gentleman / manager who at first refused to let us in ( I can only assume he thought we were migrants). Once in he told us that we could not have arranged a late check out and would have to leave at standard checkout time I.e 11am. He was extremely rude and impatient and only after I showed him the email confirmation from the hotel would he grudgingly show give us a room key. He gave no additional information about breakfast times, supplies, facilities, Wifi etc even though breakfast was included. In the morning we were told we had missed breakfast (that we had paid for ) by 15mins - only to be told, again very rudely that we could not even have coffee. Considering we paid for 3 rooms ( 5 people) and were only in them for approx 12 hours in total, this experience and customer service in particular was disappointing and a not a good use of over 400 euros. I would not stay there again.

Hotel was very centrally located and really modern and clean. Staff during the day were also very helpful but might staff upon arrival were totally opposite! Extremely rude and provided hardly any information.

Room was slightly dusty, could have been cleaner. A 25 minute walk from the centre of Brussels and the hotel is not located in the nicest area... As I was alone, I didn’t feel safe walking back from the centre when it was dark.

Good value for money. Very comfortable bed!

• Standard Twin Room

Some of the rooms are not renovated and this is what we got. Not the pictures that we saw online for the room type we booked.

Clean and fully renovated The staff was very helpful Breakfast very good

Really nice hotel, very good value for money. 15min walk from city centre. Underground car park and quite a nice bakery opposite. What more could you want

• Deluxe Double Room

Only a short walk to Brussels centre, however hotel is located in the backstreets, slightly uncomfortable walk late at night. Access to a hair dryer would also have been beneficial.

Great value for money, spotless room and newly renovated. Would definitely stay again.

• Budget Double Room

As I no longer had the credit card I used to make the reservation, the receptionist had to cancel the reservation and make a new one, which became more expensive. It was very unnecessary and unfair, I guess.

It's a very nice place with new acommodations, good location, good room service. There is cheapy restaurants (libans, chinese) nearby and a metro station. It's located at few stations of the downtown.

Staff didn't seem to be very interested in helping (not explaining where is the room, bar, when breakfest is served). One key card for both guests. Neibourhood in the dark hours not so pleasant. No hair dryer.

Nice room, fine breakfest, near to the center.

• Deluxe Double Room

Hotel was recently built. All very new and stylish. Nevertheless quite basic. Parking is perfect for a visit to Brussels. Public Transport options in very close vicinity.

It was very cheap, the same price as budget chain hotels, but without the simple cleanliness and service of such a hotel. We subsequently found out the hotel is situated in a no-go part of Brussels for EU staff.

NA.