Reviews of Hotel Mille Colonnes 1 stars

Martelarenplein 5, 3000 Leuven, Belgium

#10 of 27 hotels in Leuven

Above expectation

Hotel room is better than the 1 star suggest. Clean, comfortable, and quiet. Great location near city center, bus station, and train station. Good restaurant downstairs.

excellent location (connection to trains and festival...

no airconditioning, rather hot in the room in summer

excellent location (connection to trains and festival busses); friendly and helpful staff; good breakfast

It's a nice old hotel, perfect for train travellers staying for 1 or 2 nights.

There is no lift and our room was on the 3rd floor. Plenty of stairs to climb! No refrigerator and no airco. It can get very warm in the rooms upstairs in the summer.

Room was ok and the location perfect. Just opposite the train station and a 15 minute walk to the center proper. Great breakfast.

Great cozy hotel in Leuven across from the train station

Little difficult to find. Was actually an easy spot, but the address was confusing and we had a difficult time locating it.

Love the friendly staff. Made you feel right at home. Excellent breakfast. Clean accommodation perfect for our budget.

Excellent Breakfast, the rooms are comfortable enough for a...

Some of the stairs in this hotel are steep and you do not notice when you go up, but when you go down you notice.

Excellent Breakfast, the rooms are comfortable enough for a leisure stay. I would not take this one for a business trip. The room is clean, the beds are good and I was on the back side: quiet garden view.

Nice and smiley

Nice small hotel that contains only 15 rooms. Rooms are small, clean and comfortable especially for us who spend there only nights. On the ground floor there is a big restaurant of this hotel that has got prices a bit above average of the city, but it's also more "schick". The breakfast is served in the same restaurant and it's very tasty! The location is outstanding: it's in 3 minutes walking from the central station, so arriving by train and departing by bus for us was nice and easy! The personal is very nice and easy going.

Leuven is the place to visit!

Excellent location, friendly staff. Very good, though not very diverse breakfast, but altogether, fulfilled all my expectations especially in the category best value for money.

Excellent Location and Wonderful Breakfast!

The room was okay but a the cleaning wasn't so accurate. The carpet/rug was really dirty, full of stains and definitely didn't give a proper looking, it actually ruined the rest of the room, which was overall satisfying.

The position is excellent! Right in front of the train station: usually they write close to (insert station/city center/main attraction) but in the end it's always 10-15 mins walk. This is the literally in the best position you could find in the city: as said, close to the train station (you will see the hotel as soon as you walk out of it) and less than 5 mins walk to the center. The check-in was fast, the room is okay for a short stay. The breakfast served and included in the price exceeded my expectations: you could make a full sweet and salty breakfast, lot of options. I will definitively stay again.

Convenient location near the station.

It was quite hard to find even though very central. The hotel is located above the restaurant with the hotel name written in not a very obvious place. Upon my quite late arrival the restaurant was closed and even though a had mailed the property to inform the person that finally opened the restaurant door was not expecting me. With that said he was very friendly and helpful and everything went quite smoothly anyway.

The hotel located near the central station and very near the beginning of the shopping street. The breakfast was not very rich but well made. There were some amenities like toothbrush and shower gel. There were different kind of pillows to choose from inside the closet. I could leave the luggage for storage after the check out even though their storage was not very organised and the luggage placed at the stairway without any proper security.

much better than my expectation

Since I knew that the hotel was very close to the station I requested to have a quiet room; the hotel accepted to reserve a room looking at the back side; but when I arrived my room was looking at the station. However there was a very nice view of the square and old station building. Since I knew that there was no lift, I requested a room at the ground floor; and the hotel informed me that they reserved a room at the 1st floor; but my room was at the second floor. However, they helped me with carrying my suitcase; so there was no problem.

Location was excellent in terms of transportation and distance to the center. The breakfast was very good with very good variety of food. The room was completely renovated and clean. It was basic but very comfortable. Overall it was better than I expected.

Bunk staff. 100 years old linoleum in the "modern" bathroom. 3 shower for 2 people for two nights

They gave room more than an hour late, we went back twice and they did not apologize. Most of the staff can not say hello. We say goodbye, but they did not say anything, they talked, as if we were not there

Nice hotel and location!

A Nice hotel with easy access to the train station and good facilities. The restaurant down stairs was great with seasonal specialities and a good selection of Belgian Beer and wine. I would definitely stay again when next in Leuven!

Best place to stay in Leuven.

The wifi signal.

Nice small hotel, well placed, 10 minutes to old center, near the railway station. Very good breakfast, good food at the restaurant. Clean rooms.

Clean and modern facilities.

Room was ready 30 minutes late.

Clean and modern facilities. Nice staff. Excellent breakfast. The restaurant downstairs serves great food. Good location. Quiet room (16 in my case)

Iloved the ambious in hotel surrounds.

Nothing... Perhaps a lift in hotel sometime in the future...

Iloved the ambious in hotel surrounds...the hotel building has a wonderful facade. The staff were very helpful..and i loved the breakfast... Will definately stay dare again.... Suggestion only.. A little kettle in room would be a nice ... A cuppa is nice on arrival.

Perfect location in beautiful Leuven!

Reception was practically inexistent. The man of the reception was at the moment of check in there, I had to pay right away and never saw him again. This wasn’t a major problem for me those 2 nights thought. Breakfast of vast variety, but didn’t taste at all.

Check out was flexible. I kept the key to the hotel (=hotel room) as long as I wanted to pick up my luggage before leaving the city.

The breakfast was good, and a free toothbrush in the...

I saw the cleaning staff do their job on the first day and I wasn't impressed: in my view, just because something looks clean does not mean you should not check it/wipe it just in case especially when you have a new guest. I also didn't like that the booking page stated a cost of 97 and I had to pay 99 due to a tourism tax. Tell me beforehand!

The breakfast was good, and a free toothbrush in the bathroom was unexpected, but handy.

It was the third time i have stayed there.

The room was very clean and comfortable. The bathroom rather crumped but adequate. The staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast excellent. Overall very good value for money. Proximity to station.

Overpriced for what it is!

From the pictures on the internet I had expected a bit more from this property. The rooms are pretty basic & located above a busy restaurant. The staircase is tiny & v steep. I was at the top which isn’t ideal when pregnant but I had failed to mention that when booking as that’s my own issue but might be something to consider if you are pregnant or elderly. The staff were ok, I didn’t speak to them much.

The property was warm & breakfast was decent

Good bargain in Leuven.

The rooms and hallways were showing their age.

Location was excellent -- straight walk to Grote Market. Excellent restaurant in hotel. Excellent breakfast included.

perfect hotel to go and explore Leuven

the television did not work, this is perhaps minor, but I think staff should check the equipment in the rooms every day. I like to see the news/weather when I am away from home. That was now not possible.

The location was certainly perfect (near the Railway station), the room was at the front, but I was not disturbed by any noise, so that was good. Breakfast was superb. Staff really friendly.

Leuven the best hotel?

Nothing it was perfect

The rooms shower was wonderfull and The breakfast the best ive ever had in belgium the choice of dishes superb would want room 9 when i go back later in the year as a railway enthusiast it is possible to get loco numbers from the comfort of the room and it lines up perfectly

Awesome breakfast and good value for money.

Wifi didn't work almost at all, which was bad for me as I was there for business and couldn't work in my room. The reception was empty sometimes and the luggage storage means the room even if not cleaned yet after the previous guest. Also, could hear sounds from the corridor and room next door.

Great location, great breakfast, great food (dinner time at the restaurant, good value for money.

Can be highly recommended

Single rooms are rather small - pillow is not best quality

Very good location You feel very welcome Dinner + breakfast in restaurant De Klimop are excellent

Excellent location, delicious breakfast, hot water is...

The bed was a bit soft for me but that's all subjective. It was certainly not indented from previous sleepers; I just like my mattresses hard.

Excellent location, delicious breakfast, hot water is immediately available in the shower, very quiet despite the train station.

Great location, powerful wi-fi!

The breakfast selection was very good but I was a bit disappointed because the selection was identical each day, and although there were various cooked meats there was nothing I could really eat with them e.g. potatoes, toast etc.

Good location. WiFi was really strong.

My choise again

The staff is professional but not extremely helpful and friendly. Also there is a very nice restaurant but I did not had the opportunity to test it as it is closed on Sundays. Maybe it would be nice if it could use it as a bar or cafe for a quick snack for the clients all days

A very nice and pleasant hotel next to the train station. The room is comfortable and clean. The view is OK, the internet is fine. Don't expect luxuries but an excellent value for money offer. I recommended it without hesitation. The breakfast is very very good.

Nice cheap location in Leuven!

The noise from the other rooms (like opening doors or speaking loud) and people passing in the hall.

Perfectly located and excellent value for money. Good breakfast.

I've stayed at this hotel several times, and it's...

The coffee at the breakfast isn't always very warm...

I've stayed at this hotel several times, and it's always nice. The staff are always very friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The breakfast is great, with lots of choice. Although the hotel is situated next to the train and bus station, there is hardly any noise.

Great location, good price and nice breakfast.

I love that place and stay there each time I travel to Leuven. However this time I got a room at the back side of the hotel although I had asked for a room with view on the train station (as I usually get). So I was a bit disappointed with that.

Great location, good price and nice breakfast. Always clean.

I can't say anything bad about this hotel: staff was...

I can't say anything bad about this hotel: staff was friendly, room spacious and clean. The hotel is in an excellent location. Very nice breakfast with lots of choice. Even though the hotel is located near the train and bus station, there wasn't any noise.

Nice bussiness stay at central Leuven

The rooms are fine if you travel alone but they are not very cozy. The toilet space is very small and it is impossible to get a constant temperature in the shower water.

The location is very convenient, the breakfast is very good, and the price was good.

Nice breakfast and decent restaurant.

My flight arrived at Brussels in the late night and so I made a late check in after 23h in Leuven. The receptionist's attitude was really bad, unfriendly and unhelpful. I had heavy baggage and worried about walking upstairs. He lied to me and said that it's a short staircase and I should be able to manage. At last I found that there were long staircases. When I went back to the reception and wished to ask the receptionist to give me a hand, he had already disappeared and all lights were off as well. As a result I carried it myself and got my back hurt. Staff in the morning are far more friendly and helpful. One helped me to carry my baggage downstairs.

Nice breakfast and decent restaurant.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, the room was clean...

The bed was very uncomfortable, it was difficult to sleep which is especially inconvenient for people on business trips!

The staff were very friendly and helpful, the room was clean and the breakfast was delicious!

Breakfast was great quality - very fresh and plenty variety.

There was a terrible smell coming from the bathroom (seeming to be coming from the drain) which made the room unbearable to be in. I had to open all the windows to try and clear the smell but being December, it was very cold outside. This was mentioned to staff on my first night but nothing was done about it. Therefore, I did not sleep well that night. It was mentioned again to staff in the morning and upon returning to the hotel on my second day of travel but nothing was done before my departure which made my whole trip a lot less satisfactory.

Breakfast was great quality - very fresh and plenty variety.

I didn't know there was only check-inn until 10 o clock...

I didn't know there was only check-inn until 10 o clock in the evening. The staff did stay awake untill we were there, thanks a lot ! I didn't know the breakfast at sunday only started at 8 o'clock in the morning, we could have some fruit and yoghurt but it's a pity we had to miss to real breakfast.

The Breakfast is quite good and the staff is very friendly

The check in can be a bit busy as it is done just in the restaurant, but otherwise it's OK

The Breakfast is quite good and the staff is very friendly

Would recommend if you're looking for a cheap place to crash for the night, no more no less

- Checkin at 3, although document in room claims 1 - Very mixed reactions from staff (was treated unfriendly twice, very friendly once - at rush times they seem to be so busy with the restaurant downstairs that you do not feel very welcome) - Plumbing in bathroom needs to be fixed asap - both shower & wash basin are so clogged that showering more than 5-10 minutes or even brushing teeth becomes 'a race against time.' Although perhaps they do this so guests save more water? In that case, very ecological/economical ;)

- Location - Decent breakfast (although on weekdays only until 9 AM, so don't sleep in) - Price - Private bathroom (although definitely not perfect, at least not shared) - Bottle of water provided in room

I have to go to Leuven again. I will not book the same hotel since it was really cold in the room.

Bathroom sink blocked. Poor heating system. Hard to find the hotel because it has no proper sign. It is a restaurant that you have to go through.

Room was cleaned daily. New, modern furniture. Friendly staff.

As the owners say , they are not a 5 star hotel but they...

As the owners say , they are not a 5 star hotel but they provide a clean convenient place to stay and you get a god breakfast in the morning. It takes about 15 minutes by train from Brussels airport to Leuven and the hotel is a 3 minute walk from the station. The Milles Colonnes also uses the Industrie around the corner but breakfast is taken in the Milles Colonnes. We have used this hotel about 6 times the last two times we stopped in the Industrie.

Friendly staff, very nice breakfast, super location, very...

It was cold and noisy at night mostly because there was some problem with shutting the window in my room.

Friendly staff, very nice breakfast, super location, very low price. Really lovely place which I plan to visit again.

Great place to stay!

I can't say anything bad about this hotel! The location is fantastic, the staff is friendly. Rooms are spacious and clean. The breakfast is very good and offers a lot of choice. I will definitely return to this hotel!

It was great.

Room was slightly cold - heating was not adequate enough to warm up the entire room in winter.

Excellent breakfast at a very convenient location. Room itself was comfortable and very quiet.

Pleasant stay that is light on the pocket.

Bathroom furnishings a bit old and shower not draining fast enough. No main light in the bedroom - only wall lamps with very directional light. Not a big issue, but not exactly an operating room...

The room itself is modern and neat. Buffet breakfast is also good. Given the great location right next to the train station, I would say that it is good value for money.

You need to pick the keys in a restaurant, and then go to...

You need to pick the keys in a restaurant, and then go to "INDUSTRIE" hotel which is completely different of the name displayed in booking.com.

Overall, it was a nice experience.

The single room is a bit small and the tiny sink in the bathroom made washing my face an adventure. It was a bit hard to find the hotel because it looks like a restarurant from the outside.

The location is very central and I got good value for my money. The staff was friendly and I got a room with an amazing view, facing the central station.

Good price-quality ratio

Check-in procedure should be arranged in a better way. I arrived after 5pm and as the check-in can be done only in the restaurant side via bartender, then I had to walk into a packed and a lively restaurant with all my luggages. As the check-in point is next to the kitchen, waitresses were really impatient as I was clearly standing in their way with my luggages, but I had no other option as I had to stand there to get my key etc. This situation was funny as well as ridiculous.

Super good location, nice breakfast and relatively cheap. Comfy bed.

Perfect location, opposite the train station.

The bed was not ready at the time of arrival. Somewhat weak walls, so it was all heard.

Perfect location, opposite the train station. The accommodation was nice and clean. Breakfast is fine, coffee is excellent.

The room was clean, the breakfast, even though not a wide...

I very much missed a personal touch to this hotel, the staff looks so busy with just running the restaurant like they seem to have forgotten they also have guests staying with them upstairs. The shower was not constantly supplying hot water at a consistent temperature, in fact it took at least 2 minutes the first time for it to get even hot! Heater was not on in the evening so it would get rather chilling cold in the bedroom. I mean sure it is a cheap hotel I get that, that's why I also don't blame the small rooms, but I do blame if they are trying to cut down on costs by cutting down on basic necessities, these are not things you economize on in hotels

The room was clean, the breakfast, even though not a wide variety of selections, did provide food & beverages of a decent quality.

Not great!

Room desperately needs a refurbishment. Our room was not in main hotel but in separate building around the corner. Pillows an absolute nightmare. Asked for better options but sadly no luck. Had to ask at reception for a hairdryer. No tea or coffee facilities in room.

Location and breakfast are great.

Good hotel with value for money !!

Only minus point : breakfast : there was a plate that was not clean. Egg rests from another person were on the plate. But when we told they had immediately took another one with excuses. So, everyone could have this situation I suppose,..... but it should not be in a hotel ! And no stairs but I knew this before out of other reviews.

Value for what was paid. Accomodation was perfect. Nice room. Clean bathroom. Good bed. When you pay not much, you can't expect the same like expensive hotels. Nevertheless, it was excellent for what we paid !! Better than expected !!

Worst parking hotel we have stayed at

Poor room, had to pass through the restaurant to get to the stairway, very basic, breakfast minimal.

Very little, room was above the restaurant and stairway was very grubby, the area next to the hotel was nice at night

Nice friendly open hotel.

I came to Leuven at ten and I needed to wait till 15:00 to enter the room. Thats little bit too long for my taste

Its basicly next to the main train station so, easy to find,especially for travelers. Friendly ipen area. Nobody checks and service is nice. Breakfast was excelent!

Very friendly staff, location near towncenter, very clean,...

Very friendly staff, location near towncenter, very clean, big room, good bed. Lot's of choice at the breakfast. No noise from the square or from other rooms. Perfect. And cheap.

Perfect for a short stay!

TV did not work (room 16)...

Great location, superb breakfast, clean and spacious room. Staff was very friendly. Although the weather was ice cold during my stay, the room was nice and warm.

Really poor performance, need to refresh the rooms and the coridors.

Rooms are very small. Smelt in hotel is disgusting, smell smth old No fen and iron in a room, only after request, the only one fen and iron for the whole hotel is not enough Heating only after request

The address of hotel, close to the station. Food for dinner was ok, bur expensive.

Excellent value for money, close to the railway station but...

For the price, there was nothing I didn't like! It was quiet, comfy bed, very clean.

Excellent value for money, close to the railway station but the room was very quiet even though it faced the main square. You need to walk into a restaurant to get to the hotel, but this wasn't a problem.

Pumpkin soup :)

as per description of the hotel an iron and hairdryer should be available on the request but 1) I wasn't provided a hairdryer and couldn't get any information about by when I can get it. Staff wasn't supportive on my needs. 2) I got an iron and it looked very dangerous to use. 3) it is literally impossible to wash your face or brush teeth over the sink because it is so tiny and has a shelf above.

Pumpkin soup :)

I booked a single room but they gave me a double.

none

I booked a single room but they gave me a double. Quite big and confortable room. It is a bit difficult to understand that the checkin is inside the restaurant, but it has been really a very good choice. Free WIFI and buffet breakfast with a wide choice for sweets, bread, cereals, ham, eggs, and cheese.

Really great value with an amazing breakfast thrown in

the only complaint I can think of is that orange juice did not seem freshly squeezed... but then again you can hardly expect that on this price level.

Really great value with an amazing breakfast thrown in

Great hotel in a historical building right next to the train...

The room on the fourth floor barely get any wifi, please put an additional router if possible :-)

Great hotel in a historical building right next to the train station. Fantastic restaurant right at the hotel, although it is hard to find a table for some evenings so book in advance. The best value for money in Leuven.

nice stay, great breakfast, right in front of train/bus. Will go again.

The room I stayed was good for the money and I can see that the owner is trying hard to bring an old run down one to its previous glory. Small AOI is still needed.

nice owners, big and good breakfast buffet. Love all the dishes, especially the bacon.

there were no iron in the room and there were no elevator...

there were no iron in the room and there were no elevator and no staff to help us with the bags so we had to go for the 3rd floor carrying the bags with us...

Large bedroom and bathroom, very comfortable and clean.

Amazed to find that the window in my attic room could not be closed, and had been permanently rigged with metal clamp so that it would not. Staff expressed surprise and allegedly unaware about this when I complained, but no other room available. Fortunately October temperature was not too bad and no noise in square outside after 23.30. I trust they will fix this before winter?

Large bedroom and bathroom, very comfortable and clean. Excellent buffet breakfast with very wide choice. Convenient location on square opposite Leuven station.

Great location. Clean and cozy room. Good breakfast. Kind staff. Total value for money.

I struggled to have a shower because the water was not warm and there was not any space to leave my stuff. I have to mention that there should be an elevator for people who cannot access by stairs.

Location was great. Opposite the train station and a 10 min walk from the main square of the city centre. I really enjoyed breakfast (included in the price). Room was spacious, cozy and clean. Staff was polite and helpful.

Excellent breakfast

The rooms are noisy as all movements and talking in the passages can be heard in rooms (I stayed in the Hotel de Industrie - part of the hotel). The entrance to Hotel de Industrie needs renewal and freshening.

Excellent breakfast

Being off loaded into an adjoining hotel, apparently a...

Being off loaded into an adjoining hotel, apparently a sister hotel, so had to head back to the hotel I had booked into every morning for my breakfast. Staff weren't very helpful in the evening when I arrived as they were all very busy with the restaurant business.

I also stayed in this hotel last week, but then I was sent...

I also stayed in this hotel last week, but then I was sent to the dependance building (Hotel Industrie). Now I stayed in the actual Hotel Mille Colonnes. This was a much nicer room than the one in Hotel Industrie! Comfortable and spacious room, clean bathroom, lovely breakfast with lots of choice, friendly staff. I can't really say anything bad about the place! :)

Pleasant hotel next to train station but still fairly quiet.

No real issues, no kettle in room, some noise through wall from next door room

My room was in the similar neighbouring Industrie Hotel, an elegant c.1900 building, quality generally good for 1 star hotel, excellent breakfast (much better than those in hostels)

Perfect for a short stay

The hotel is located next to a bus station, so there is quite a bit of noise. For me personally that wasn't such a problem as I'm a good sleeper, but I can imagine it may be annoying for other people. Bear in mind that there's a large chance that you are being sent to Hotel Industrie (I think it's the same owner or they work together) and that you won't actually stay in Hotel Mille Colonnes. I noticed after my stay that Hotel Industrie is a bit cheaper than Mille Colonnes, so in future I will be booking Hotel Industrie directly, instead of paying more for Hotel Mille Colonnes and being sent to Hotel Industrie anyway ;)

The room was clean and had everthing it needed for a short stay. The bathroom was a bit dated compared to the rest of the room, but as I only stayed one night it didn't bother me too much. The breakfast was excellent, lots of choice! Also the location of the hotel can't be better: right across the square is the train station, and the city centre and university are at less than 10 minutes away on foot. (Like many other reviewers also mentionned, I didn't actually stay in Hotel Mille Colonnes, but was sent to Hotel Industrie, a bit further down the road. Breakfast was in Hotel Mille Colonnes)

Great value for your money

Check in was a bit chaotic, but that wasn't much of a problem. My room was on the top floor, and it was a pity that there was no elevator...

Great location, friendly staff, wonderful breakfast. Rooms are clean and basic. Restaurant "De Klimop" also serves great food for lunch and dinner.

Excellent location, very good value

There is no lift. I requested a room on the lower floor, but there is still a flight of stairs. Not a major problem, if you are not hauling heavy luggage.

Excellent location right in front of the train station. All major sights are within easy walking distance. Room is clean and comfortable. Wifi is fast. Breakfast is great. The hotel also operates a restaurant which is very popular. I ate there once and the food and services are good. Very good value. Recommended. Leuven is charming, and well worth visiting. It is also a good base for visiting Brussels and nearby places.

Excellent value for money

There is no reception, you check in at the restaurant. The invoice bears also the name of the restaurant which may be weird if the trip is paid by your company (not the case for me!)...Very steep steps to the first floor. All these are not real problems since the room and breakfast are excellent

Big and very clean room and bathroom, excellent breakfast, conditions similar or even better than in a three star hotel. Would definitely recommend to everybody. Exceptional value for money!

very good

Unfortunately the shower in my room didn't work properly. The mixer was broken and the water was too hot. But it was only my room problem. My colleague who also staid here in the next room did not experienced any problem.

Hotel is located near the railway station just across the road. It is very convenient if you travel by train with luggage. Leven center is also not far. Hotel suggests good breakfast, free wifi and TV in the room. The stuff speaks English. It is very friendly and helpful.

Clean room.

No place to put the towels in the bathroom (in order to avoid having water on the floor of the room, I had to stay naked in the bathroom for some minutes, before I could use the towel which was located out of bathroom). A small hook on the door would be handy. I would prefer to have a shampoo container within the shower cabin than having to deal with these sample size shampoo sachets.

Clean room. Good breakfast. Great location (two minutes away from train station).

Browse Hotel Mille Colonnes traveller photo gallery