Reviews of Hotel Monasterium PoortAckere

#41 of 42 hotels in Ghent

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

We enjoyed our stay!
    • Superior Room

Maintainince at a low standard.

The hotel is build around a old church/monastery. In the hotel information it said that the remodel was done in 1998, well there are some maintenance chalances in the current time (sep-2018) that should be addressed. We enjoyed our stay, and that’s what counts!

Very disappointing.
    • Standard Room

Having read other reviews I think I must have stayed in a different hotel. On arrival the staff were not engaging and seemed a little disinterested, they where more animated when it came to getting the car registration number and charging me 15 euros a day for the pleasure of parking. I was however told where the breakfast room was and the times. There was no information in the room about other facilities in the hotel, I did not find the bar until I noticed the sign on the way to breakfast. This is supposed to be an historic building, which it was from the outside, however in the two rooms I had the décor was bland! all the history had been decorated over, there was absolutely no character left in the rooms. The sitting room had two small basic chairs with no arm rests (not very comfortable) and a small table. In the shower room there was no where to put your wash bags or hang wet towels, it seems that the chairs doubled up as a towel racks! well that's what the staff did with them while we were at breakfast. So chairs where damp if you wanted use them for any time. One other thing I think I should mention and the hotel management may be interested in this. I noticed that while sitting in the chairs and when a toilet was flushed either in my room or the one above, I could smell sewage, on investigating this there was a wooden cover over a waste pipe next to the chair, the waste pipe was open other than a piece of plastic paper stuffed in the end, hence the smell! On leaving the hotel, I was not asked if everything was OK or if I had enjoyed my stay, as I said earlier the staff did not seem very interested.

Not much about the hotel except breakfast was good, location was good, just a few minutes walk to all the restaurants and bars in the atmospheric old town. And if you really can't do without a TV on holiday, you're in luck there were 2 in this suite, in the bedroom and in the sitting room.

Interesting former monastery. Comfortable rooms and great bathrooms. Convenient but pricey parking
    • Standard Room

Secure parking good but 15 euros a night more than one usually pays in city centre Breakfast adequate but also not really worth 15 euros

A quirky property which is a former monastery a couple of blocks from the main historic sights. Rooms stylish and comfortable with great bathrooms. Only recently opened and a few housekeeping blips need sorting but I'm sure they will soon be resolved. Reception staff very competent and helpful

Smelly rooms with blank cables coming out of the walls, unfriendly staff and overcharged bill.
    • Standard Room

The room we were in was smelly and there were no covers at the electric plugs so the cabel were visible and there was the risk of getting an electric shock when trying to switch on the lights. We had to open the windows day and night to get the weird smell out of the room. We couldn't figure out where it came from, i think it was the carpet. In addition, the receptionist was sort of unfriendly and not interested in our wish to switch the rooms. Plus, on the receipt they tried to overcharge us breakfast (which we never had) and parking lot fees (which we didnt use) so we had to discuss about that until they deleted these charges on the receipt. Overall bad experience and very disappointing concerning the rating we read here on booking in prior.

Close to city center, no need for public transport to get around.

Nice atmospheric hotel

Breakfast is only ok - if I stay there again I will have breakfast elsewhere

The staff are lovely, our room (superior) was really nice with a superb bathroom. Cool atmosphere and features like the chapel

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Wonderful Experience
    • Standard Room

The bathroom could have been cleaner, but it wasnt appalling. Suite TV's have Volume Control/Lock. I dont intend to blast it, but i am a bit hard of hearing. So, it would have been nice to go above 12, ha!

We had a very stay in this gorgeous facility. A short 5/10 min walk to historic center. Far enough to have some quiet. The staff is incredibly nice and helpful. Ghent is beautiful and I intend to make this my spot when visiting.

The uniqueness of the place.
    • Standard Room

Screens on the windows against bugs would be nice. It was warm and we had the windows open.

The uniqueness of the place. Beautiful historical building with modern rooms.

A very particular weekend
    • Superior Room

The building is incredibly beautiful (I suggest to give a look to the former chapel, now used sometimes as a dining room). The room was amazing, with a beautiful view. The bed was extremely comfortable, as well as the bathroom. Furthermore, the hotel is located very close to the center of the city. If I will visit again this city, I will definitely use again the same hotel.

Beautiful building in central location but rooms need an update
    • Standard Room

Room design and furnishings outdated and out of sync with beautiful architecture (wooden floors, white paint and uni coloured curtains and bedding would look so much nicer), pillows too few and too soft, shower door did not close properly, breakfast too expensive (€17.50/ person).

Very friendly staff, central location, fast internet, the building and grounds are beautiful, ivy outside window, room had two large windows, very quiet at night.

A good stay
    • Comfort Room

The place is shabby. It needs upgrading and renovation

The history of the place, the proximity to all points of interest. Ample parking. Spacious rooms.

Very exclusive place.
    • Standard Room

Very exclusive place. Just a kind of sightseeing subject itself :) Very friendly staff, good parking just in the hotel's yard, very pleasant garden.

Great place to stay.

No complaints.

Wonderful architecture. It was really quiet despite being so close to the centre of Gent. There was a wide range of foods available for breakfast. The room was comfortable. The staff were helpful when needed. Easy walking distance into the main tourist area, Very good WiFi

The place was full of character, older style, but not in any...
    • Superior Room

The place was full of character, older style, but not in any way tired. The bathroom was really special. We chose a superior room, which was huge and comfortable. The staff were friendly and laid back.

Amaizing place, sadly, poor equipted and in need of renovation
    • Superior Room

Hotel is poor equipped, bad noise isolation, noisy floors. During the booking it was written that they have free parking, but when we arrived, parking was 15€.

This place is really in a nice location and building is impressing. There is a small church in the building wich could be used for meetings and parties.

Not for those who like standard modern hotels. Great for those who like character, & history
    • Superior Room

Difficult to find staff at times. Breakfast due to start at 7 but contents arrived piecemeal with hot food arriving just before we left at 7.30.

Great character. Large room (superior grade) with suitable decoration for this historic building. Fully modernised bathroom,

Worth a night, but not for a longer stay.
    • Superior Room

A special request before arriving was not answered and we didn't get the room we hoped for. On site our room expectations could not be met by the staff. And we are not even picky guests.

Fantastic surroundings that the hotel can use in a more informative way. We would certainly have liked to know more about the monastery and its history, what our room was before etc.

interesting concept
    • Standard Room

It was extra cold in the bathroom, heaters made loud noice so you either had to switch them off or try to fall asleep with the noice No restaurant in the hotel at all :(

a very specific interior, room had a kitchenette and was clean

A peaceful place
    • Standard Room

The noisy fan extractor in the toilet. Breakfast seemed rather expensive so we self catered..a fridge would have been appreciated

Proximity to the city centre. It was nice and quiet.-set back ftom the road. The place had apleasant ambience. (music playing softly in the background with candles lit down the hallway ) ..the sense of history. Our room was spacious and comfortable.

The Hotel
    • Superior Room

We booked for three nights and when we arrived we were told that due to a refurbishment we could only stay for two nights but we could transfer for the last night into another hotel but when we got to the other hotel they put as in a boxroom and we were very disappointed with the reaction on complaining.

The Hotel

There wasn't much I liked, but to be fair
    • Superior Room

The place used to be a cloister, an orphanage, few more things, and a students' home back in 1970's - and there was probably NO MAINTENANCE SINCE! I had a "hotel" room, which was a very very old poor thing; calling it stylish would require a very creative brain. See the photos - improvised bed side table with a crack and a screw through the top, bathroom plumbing, deteriorating walls, and mold! BTW, places with some en-suite rooms and many rooms with shared toilets and bathrooms are usually called HOSTEL, not hotel, and charge maybe 50, not 150 EUR per night. I'm never coming back to this place, and so I recommend to any other traveller.

There wasn't much I liked, but to be fair - a location right next to the city centre, and - a four-star breakfast for a four-star price.

Lovely hotel and great staff, but not for a restful break.
    • Superior Room

I really hate to say it as it's actually part of the character, but every floorboard in this beautiful old building creaked and you could hear every neighbour outside your room. Staying over a weekend, we were awoken both nights by people getting back to their rooms/awaking early and talking next door. I felt the need to tip-toe everywhere as any movement around your room was so obvious! Its a shame as the neighbourhood is otherwise so incredibly peaceful. Fascinating stay, but far from restful.

Lovely comfy bed, in a spacious room and beautiful building. Very convenient for the city centre without being in the midst of the hustle and bustle. Great perk to have secure parking, although a little pricey at 15 euros a night.

Trip to Ghent
    • Standard Room

It was not hotel grade really. More like a hostel with some hotel features. There was a mix up with the rooms. At first we were given a key to a room that was in an annexe and not good enough at all. When we went to reception we were told that we should not have been given that key. Another was found for us but when I unlocked the door it was clear that some other guests were already in the room. Eventually we were given another room.

The breakfast was great. The staff were generally helpful. The place has great potential but is not there yet.

Location great, hotel not so much
    • Standard Room

I purposefully decided on the hotel instead of the guest house because of my own bathroom. But the carpet in the room was dirty and gross looking, outlets were hanging out of the wall, the windows seemed dirty/broken. A plate in the kitchenette was dirty. The bathroom didn’t seem all that great either. I would only walk around in shoes/socks! I wish I had brought slippers. I hope it was only this room and not all.

The location was great! Short walk to downtown, restaurants etc. The hotel had parking for €15/day which was great.

Well located accommodation with excellent breakfast.
    • Standard Room

We stayed in the Breedhuis with road at the side with early morning traffic noise on a weekday (Friday). Noise not noticeable at the weekend.

The breakfast was superb. Friendly and helpful staff. Easy short walking distance of the main sights without being in the middle of all the tourists. We had a no frills room but a good size ad with tea and coffee making facilities.

Great place in central Ghent, good comfort factor.
    • Superior Room

Breakfast is nice but bit limited and repetitive over a couple of days.

Really nice quite place in the centre of Ghent. Big rooms, simple decoration but all well in keeping.

A beautiful, quirky and friendly hotel close to the centre of a beautiful friendly city!
    • Comfort Room

The shower: old-fashioned and hard to adjust to required temperature.

Excellent breakfast! Good and helpful staff. Really interesting, beautiful and unusual building(s). Plumbing old fashioned but functional. Could have had more storage space for clothes.

Unusual place to stay in Ghent
    • Superior Room

The room was unique. Staff members were friendly. There was a problem with the heating of the hotel but staff promptly fixed it and we were offered a compensation for the inconvenience

The hotel is in the old monastery building, which is a bit...
    • Standard Room

With breakfast and parking to be paid on top of the room rate, the total price is not super competitive.

The hotel is in the old monastery building, which is a bit unusual, but this was the 1st time when a crack in the wall and a scratch on a wardrobe did not bother. We has all we need for a one night stay. It was cold outside and ability to heat up the room was appreciated )) Beds were comfortable.

Recommend
    • Standard Room

There we some problems with the shower and sink as the water was stuck.

Excellent location, on site parking, pleasant staff, warm in the room which is especially appreciated in the winter.

Location ideal, breakfast made up for the shabby room.
    • Standard Room

Upon arrival we were informed that our room was on a different floor to our daughters despite specifically requesting that they were near each other. We were then allocated rooms closer to each other but in an annexe. Not ideal. Our room was quite shabby. The wardrobe door had come off and was propped against the wardrobe. The door was dirty and the gap underneath it let in a constant draught.

The breakfast was ample with a good selection and in the interesting surroundings of the chapel. The room was well heated.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

Location and atmosphere was good.
    • Standard Room

there was a kettle in the room but it had lime stains on it that didn’t go away with washing.

Location and atmosphere was good.The staff was very helpful

Overpriced better hostel with singlerooms. Extraordinary location
    • Standard Room

I was in Breedhuis - it is the building opposite from reception. I heard the pipes or something similar all night - It was really loud. Breakfast was 17,5 extra. Poor. No fresh vegetables.. I would pay max 8-10 for that. Better ger a croissant+cafe at a close hipstercafe Its a better hostel - but overpriced. I heard there not many low/mid budget accommodations in Ghent - so they can push it.

Could be a lovely place to stay but did it doesn't fully reach its potential due to poor maintenance
    • Standard Room

Although the room was cleaned, it was very tatty with stained carpet, and torn and marked wallpaper. The bathroom had no heating and the shower hose was too short so having a shower was difficult and it was much too cold to risk a bath.

Very good location for city centre, with parking onsite. Beds were very comfortable.

Should
    • Superior Room

Facilities are old and poorly maintained Dirty Mediocre breakfast Unhelpful staff; the hotel is understaffed

The hotel is a historic site but this is pretty much where all the pluses start and finish. The rooms are very poorly maintained and are simply dirty! We travelled with a 1 yer old baby and every time she crawled on the floor I had to literally give her a full wash. The beds are tiny and uncomfortable and the bedding seems to come from the time when the place was a monastery! Breakfast is mediocre, same food day in day out which is fine if you stay for 1-2 days. When o asked for porridge for the baby, the only member of staff couldn't understand me! And yes, only one member of staff at breakfast. The reception staff had very little knowledge of the town. We arrived late and when asked where I can get fresh milk for breakfast, I was told about a night shop in the close proximity to the hotel. Turned out there are at least 3-4 supermarkets and they are opened on Sundays, and I could get everything I wanted for the baby and my husband and I. All in all, the hotel is understaffed, the facilities are very mediocre, and if I were to travel to Ghent again, I would opt for more established and known hotels. And one last point: the hotel has no restaurant so you would need to sort out you food, no room service I am afraid.

A warm and pleasant surroundings and nice staff.
    • Standard Room

If I had to complain about breakfast the fruit salad and orange juice should have been fresh.

Because of the pedestrianized areas in Gent we had difficulty getting to the hotel. But the sat nav got us there in the end. (Don't go through the pedestrianized area. 55euro fine). The hotel is an old monastery so don't expect modern. But it was how i expected it to be after reading the reports. The breakfast hall was nice with a reasonable choice of food. The room was heated by radiators and was very comfortable both in temperature and size. I have two very comfortable unbroken nights sleep. The staff were very friendly and wanted to make your stay a memorable one.

My bedroom was on the 2nd floor accessed by 4 flights of...
    • Standard Room

My bedroom was on the 2nd floor accessed by 4 flights of stairs which my 75 year old did not like. The automatic light outside my bedroom did not work.

Loved the hotel and the location.
    • Standard Room

Towels in bathroom - were not changed and more are needed. When females wash their hair you need a second big towel - one and a half is not enough. Fruit ran out at 9am on second day and we were told there was no more. More variety of milk, tea and coffee is needed in the room. Overall, these were small matters and didn't spoil our stay.

Spacious rooms and friendly staff central location and unusual property which we prefer and lovely breakfast and breakfast room and bar. The breakfast selection is the best we have had on all our travels.

Unique and well-located (if a little dated) hotel with lovely staff.
    • Standard Room

Carpets and bathroom floor very tired Tea/coffee were not refreshed during the stay Poor choice of kettle (did not pour well)

Excellent bed linen Excellent mattress Very interesting building with historical features (eg. marble windowsills) Friendly and helpful staff Easy walking distance to historic center

Cool historic building, quality could be better, staff was extremely nice and helpful
    • Comfort Room

I got bit in the face by mosquitos. It is partially my fault for not noticing the mosquito repellent they put next to the bed, but it would be nice if the windows were actually sealed. The sink was cracked and glued together and the shower didn't drain very well, but everything was working. In terms of overall comfort, it wasn't the best and the quality definitely was not worth the money (Book direct, it saves money).

The proximity to downtown Ghent was really nice. Reception was nice and extremely helpful. The room I got was absolutely massive, with multiple chairs and a TV, WIFI worked great (I was working remotely and accessing some fairly powerful programs). It is a treat staying in a historic building in such an iconic city!

Great location for walking the town!
    • Comfort Room

Carpeting needs replaced and a little face lift would be a benefit. Morning baths did not have hot water.

I like unusual places to stay so this was great as the history of the place is very interesting. Breakfast was great! Location to Michaels Bridge and town was perfect, very close.

I left one day earlier and cancelled half of my booking due to my disappointment with the hotel.
    • Superior Room

The room I got was NOT the room that was shown on the pictures here. It did not have a bath, which I even literally requested in the notes when I booked the room. The bathroom smelled like sewer pipe, the bed had other peoples hairs in it when I opened the blanket. There were quite a couple disgusting stains on the pillows. There was no trash bin in the room, except for a small one in the toilet of which the lid was broken and kept falling off.

The building itself is very beautiful, an old monastery. The location is perfect, very close to the city center. Staff was trying to be helpful, but as the hotel was fully booked they couldn't switch me to another room.

We would use this lovely hotel again.
    • Standard Room

Although our room number 1 was in the annex near the road. It was a little noisy with passing people and vehicles. It was a pity that we did not have a room in the ancient part of the hotel which was lovely.

Excellent breakfast. Good safe parking. It took about 6-7 mins to walk to the centre of Ghent.

Come to Flanderen and get captured by its beauty.
    • Standard Room

If you prefer a quite location at night this might not be the best choice for you. The wooden stairs will wake you up as soon as a group of drunk and/or ignorant people comes home late at night. We had this happening on Friday and Saturday around 3 and 5 a.m.

A really nice selection for breakfast, easy parking at the hotel and the location is not too far from the city centre.

Good parking and close to the old center
    • Comfort Room

No elevator, steep stairs, dusty rom,no airconditon, no change of towels, very busy breakfastarea, they did not fill up with food when they was out of the different ingredienses.

Good parking and close to the old center

Good location in a unique property.
    • Standard Room

Not aware that there was not an elevator in our building. If you book economy you do not stay in the renovated building where there is an elevator.

Location was good. Located only a short walk to all the main attractions. Quite area. Located in an old Monastery. Parking was on site and reasonable cost per day.

quirky central friendly with plenty on site parking
    • Standard Room

sat nav gave up getting us in and out, too many one way streets & temp diversions [city centre festival. so take care with directions, use good street map and beware crazy trams [don't you just HATE these dangerous things !!

staff, parking, room, breakfast, arrived 3 hrs early - no problem, rushed room clean & in we went. location great, river trips few mins walk as are old city buildings and big selection of eateries - we used chinese just down road, very friendly, quick, great meal, inexpensive. NOTE this is a minimully modified monastry, unlike any other place we,ve stayed....

Legacy appeal is not enough.
    • Comfort Room

The hotel is rather shabby and needs a makeover. It is an old building (on whose specialness the hotel trades) - rotting window frames, windows that won't open (in high summer heat), some pealing decoration, washbasin hardly fit for purpose, a number of lights out (reported but not fixed), scruffy car-park and gardens. The old building with its convent heritage (and chapel) is of some interest - but not at 3-4 star prices. It is also a good walk from the centre (compared with Novotel, Marriott, Ibis and most others). It does, however, have the advantage of its own car-parking. Breakfast was good. The staff, I have to say were exceptionally friendly.

Very friendly staff

Quirky place to stay in good location
    • Standard Room

Room was very hot at night, but when window was opened mosquitoes entered the room.

Very friendly staff, we had a few problems with the plumbing on the first morning but they soon sorted it out. Very good breakfast with plenty to choose from, nice garden area but beware of mosquitoes! I got bitten a few times.

If you like comfort, sleep and cleanliness, please don't book in here
    • Standard Room

It was the worst accommodation I have ever stayed in. First, I was promised, by email, a bathroom and was given a shower room. I had asked especially, as I am disabled and cannot bend. A shower means I cannot wash myself very much. The first bedroom was really dirty, with gothic cobwebs and filthy paintwork and carpets. The shower room floor was rotten and spongy. The windows were insecure. The bed was clean and comfortable, if it hadn't been for the mosquitoes. Three days later, my ears are both swollen with bites. The chairs were awful - rattan without any seat pads, so incredibly uncomfortable. The exchange of rooms, which I asked for on the second day, was to get a bathroom, but also as the first room was so noisy, a wedding was happening in the chapel and party food/drink in another room: people were coming and going all through the night, slamming car doors, talking with daytime-level voices and so on. We were so relieved to get the different room, having had just two hours sleep the first night. The second room was a bit cleaner, but had peeling paint on the walls and filler scabs all over the bathroom. No mosquitoes, though. The bath was wonderful. However, a party started at the Art Centre next door, many of the guests were staying at the Monastrium and the party went on until 5.30am, with ultra-loud music. They only went inside when the rain came on at 5.30am. Half an hour later, builders arrived at the Monastrium and they began by disc-cutting and drilling into masonry. We had two hours' sleep from 7 am to almost 9am. When I tried to get dressed, the upright, dining-style chairs were too uncomfortable for me to manage on and my husband had to help me ( which he doesn't normally ). We left the hotel exhausted and on each day, bought our breakfasts in the town, as 17.50 euros is way too expensive for a hotel's breakfast buffet.

The location and the fact that the senior receptionist put right an error and apologised for it.

Ghent is a must visit!
    • Standard Room

Although on a side street, the street noise was substantial! No fan in the room. Creaky, creaky floors in our room and room above. Restaurant is only for large groups. No secure, dry bike parking, despite having asked in advance.

We played cards in the bar and enjoyed the practice session of a choir in the nearby church area. Staff were very helpful with info on Ghent.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

It has parking places in the yard (not enough for all guests...
    • Standard Room

It was previously a monastery for elderly nuns. Although it is used now as a hotel (and could be a very nice venue given the old building with arches), but not much has been spent on it since it was turned to a hotel: the rooms are not modernised, the restaurant is in a decent hall (and not in the former church as on the pictures). Once this might be very nice when it will be renovated. The Internet (wifi) was of very poor quality as well.

It has parking places in the yard (not enough for all guests - but may be perhaps reserved). The parking is expensive there though (the parking fee was higher than in the parking house in the same street).

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Interesting hotel with lots of character.
    • Comfort Room

Bath / shower tricky to get right.

Interesting property with lots of character, close to centre but very quite and peaceful. Big airy rooms and comfy bed.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

I will never go back

The hotel was large and the staff were unfriendly. The food was OK but nothing special. There were pastries but no hard boiled eggs, the fresh fruit was tinned. Reception told me that they had 60 rooms and that I could not go to my room until after 2.00 pm. That is their rule, nothing to do with how many rooms they are cleaning and they cannot ALL be ready only by 2.00 pm. I turned up at 1.30 and was told I had to wait until 2.00 pm I felt they were doing me a favour allowing me into the hotel. The bedrooms were large but old fashioned and unwelcoming.

Great unusual hotel that may not suit all, but I liked a lot.
    • Standard Room

Optional breakfast was limited in choice and very busy on first visit so quickly run out of hot food and slow to replenish. On the up side, nice room to have breakfast in.

Interesting place not far from centre (5 min walk at most). Lot of character in rooms and corridors, big spacious rooms.

Gent is a stunning old city, and the Monasterium sets just the right mood for a visit.
    • Standard Room

I did not find a place to eat that was really close by, so mealtime involves a bit of walking (not that that's bad).

Location: very near the old city center of Gent. My room was huge (by European standards). Furnishings were simple and unadorned (it's an old monastery, after all), and the location is quiet and safe. The reception staff were very friendly, and gave me lots of directions to sites around Gent. And, there was the amazing breakfast; large bright breakfast room with every kind of bread, pastry, cheese, sausage, and yogurt you could think of. The best breakfast on my trip.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Ghent in a monastery
    • Comfort Room

The shower was not properly working.

The hotel is surrounded by gardens and very quiet. The room was large and very comfortable. The atmosphere is that of an old monastery.

Visit GHENT while staying in a historical Monastery!
    • Comfort Room

Missed not having a small refrigerator in the room, at least to keep our water fresh...It was extremely hot for this time of the year on the couple of days we stayed.

Location, at walking distance from the Canal and City Center. Also interesting historical setting of an old Monastery! Could not forget he EXCELLENT breakfast!

One nig
    • Comfort Room

Weather was very hot . No Air con in the bedroom ( perhaps expected ) No fans or similar provided. Made sleeping uncomfortable. The bar area was very small.

The I eternal features were maintained to give a good historic atmosphere and feeling . Safe Parking off road was a bonus.

Lovely location but needs a lot more upgrading
    • Comfort Room

Couldn't open our bedroom window as it was rotten, sparks came off the light switch when we turned it on, shower drain seemed blocked as the base filled up with water and you had to stop the shower and wait for it to subside before completing the shower. Parking was €15 and we had a motorcycle, we parked all 3 motorcycles in same bay yet we all had to pay the full parking fee. A friends room the toilet seat fell off, a light socket was hanging off the wall. The lift was rated for 8 people yet went into overload with 4 people in.

Location is close to the centre, good choice at breakfast, plenty of parking.

Nice old building, beautiful breakfast room, short walk to...
    • Superior Room

Breakfast could have been a bit more colourful, there were no vegetables.

Nice old building, beautiful breakfast room, short walk to the very centre. Spacious room and big bathroom.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Good location, GREAT breakfast, enjoyable stay with some history.
    • Standard Room

Room wallpaper wasn't the cleanest and peeled in spots. Bathroom was pristine though!

Beds were comfy, great location for a quick 5 minute walk to any downtown area, and an amazing breakfast selection. Interesting history as a previous monastery, made the place much more interesting than your standard hotel.

Never again!
    • Superior Room

The list is long! We paid € 140 per night for an old beaten down hotelroom and an additional €30 for parking The hotel was under construction. The night stand ripped from the wall. There was scaffolding on the outside of our room so very little day light. Next to our room was a communal shower area and coffee bar. We could hear the shower and waterboiler in our room ...... There was such a big gap between the door that you could look in from the hall. 2 hangers in the closet The bathtub could only be filled bij the showerhead mounted on the wall. The list goes on! Would be ook if I paid hostel prices but this was ridiculous. Mentioned all this at check out. The guy at reception als found the price a bit high but offered no compensation.

Location and parking facilities (for which we paid extra).

Enjoyable place to stay with historic interest
    • Comfort Room

They should try to be a little more competitive on the pricing of breakfast and rooms, car parking was fine.

Everything, I also believe there are cheaper rooms available if your on your own, but my overall experience was I should like to return, the breakfast was first class , overall its not the cheapest of hotels

Home away from home in the centre of Ghent
    • Standard Room

Nothing. We loved every minute.

The history of the place added a wonderful atmosphere, and made our stay particularly pleasant. I was impressed by the manager ringing us to offer to change our room to avoid overlooking a particularly raucous event next door. Delicious and plentiful breakfast.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Quirky property in a very central location with plenty of...
    • Superior Room

Stayed for 4 nights. On the Friday the hotel had a ball that finished playing very very loud dance music at 0330. The hotel doesn't have sound proofing. To make matters worse someone tried to get into our room. I would recommend making sure that the hotel doesn't have any discos or other events before you book!!

Quirky property in a very central location with plenty of parking. Staff were good

Unique hotel in the process of becoming great
    • Comfort Room

Some rooms are in need of updating and there were renovations going on at the time of our visit; room was too hot at night; had difficulty getting the shower to work at a comfortable temperature.

Huge room in a quirky building, very peaceful.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

a reflective stay
    • Superior Room

maybe in the description detail when the restaurant is open in the evening to guests or not at all.

lovely historical location very quiet cute bar, maybe make it a little more ambient....

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Would recommend, great experience and great location.
    • Standard Room

The bathroom was stone cold and the one radiator in the huge bathroom was not working properly so was not the most comfortable.

The setting and location are great. The buildings are as you would expect and very nice experience. Huge room with great facilities.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

great room, even though it was in annex.
    • Standard Room

The ironing 'room' was a little far off but probably not bad if stay in main building, if that is possible? Parking 15euros? Maybe the street is cheaper?

great room, even though it was in annex.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

Peaceful getaway, historic hotel!!
    • Standard Room

We traveled for a wedding in London and wished we could have stayed here for a few more nights.

Affordable accomadation in the centre of Ghent,a truly beautiful historic hotel. The staff was superb and the bed warm and comfy!!!

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

Monastery in the old Ghent
    • Standard Room

Breakfast is quite expensive. Rooms near the entrance are too close to the street, plenty of noise in the morning.

Feels more like set of apartments then a hotel (in a good way). There are two parking spaces - one near reception, the other through the gate entrance on the left - so if one is full, try the other. Staff was nice, facilities were good. In a short walking distance (about 5 minutes) from the heart of the city.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

Made a parking reservation, but there was suddenly no vacant...
    • Superior Room

Made a parking reservation, but there was suddenly no vacant spots. Had to park away from the hotel in a expensive parking house. Staff gave wrong directions to the room and was in general arrogant. Rooms was cold and dark.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

Average
    • Standard Room

Light wouldn't turn off and had no call reception in the middle of the night- had to move room, we stayed in rector and the room was poor

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

Charming hotel
    • Standard Room

One of our rooms had a shower with poor water pressure-needed updating

Such a lovely, atmospheric hotel .It's original historical charm has been preserved.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

Comfortable accommodation in the heart of Ghent
    • Standard Room

A comfortable hotel close to everything I needed to visit, with friendly staff and roomy accommodation. It will serve tourists and business travellers equally well.