Reviews of Newhotel Charlemagne 4 stars

Boulevard Charlemagne 25-27, 1000 Brussels, Belgium

#125 of 215 hotels in Brussels

• Club Double Room With Private Terrace

Dark furniture makes the rooms dark. The ashtray on the terrace was full when I arrived (I am a non-smoker). I reported that the following morning (see above). Quite a bit of wear and tear visible on furniture and the wall/wallpaper (e.g. next to terrace door (bottom left). Toilet compartment very narrow - water kept running and caused stains and low water pressure; so low pressure when flushing; it was fixed after I reported it but the question is why was this not detected earlier; the switches and sockets could be cleaner and the minibar was not very clean; considering the room rate it is quite surprising that tea seems to be complimentary but not coffee (Nespresso). More sockets to be able to charge devices without having to unpluck lamps, kettle etc would be helpful. In the future I will have to use a sleeping mask, I would not have been able to plug my device in close to the bedside table.

the terrace and the stunning view; the quick reaction to my complaint, all solved when I got back in the evening

• Business Double or Twin Room

I ask Resorption if they have a Parking place. replay was > we have only 7 parking place, i will open the parking door. you go and check if the is a free place or no. at morning 8 Oclack staff start to work and thez are realz laod. i am not sensitive about noize at all but i couldnt sleep.

Location was really good and in Weekend is Free Parkring front of Hotel.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Air Conditioning and telephone were not working. I have requested a double bed but they gave me connected two single beds. They have changed my room after all. But anyways, it was not a good experience at all.

• Business Double or Twin Room

Terrible experience. First, they gave me a room that was already assigned to another person; you can imagine the embarrassment when opening the door and finding somebody there in the toilet! Second, the door lock in my second room was broken and the bed very poorly made bed, with the linen stained and in bad condition.

• Business Double or Twin Room

Could use some more minor everyday technical maintenance

Overall very cozy and comfortable, good breakfast. Seems a reasonable choice both for the tourist and the business traveller.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Shower took forever to get warm, some furniture was quite aged (not in a good sense)

Very comfortable bed, almost unbeatable location in the EU quarter

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I think I have higher expectations for a 4 start hotel, but maybe this is the case for Brussels? Also, they charged me for the coffee *no price was indicated in the machine and it was the first time EVER to be considered as a 'mini bar expense lol' xD...it ain't about the price but the concept :) they should have indicated it. Also the wifi was super super slow :/ if you are traveling for a business trip, it's an issue! Hope they get it fixed.

The location was amazing! It's clean and classy! Staff are nice.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I did not like carpet on the floor as I am alergic. Towels did not look fresh. A small bottle of water free of charge would have been very welcome.

Perfect location

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I do not like lower floors at all, so ask for the top when booking, but we staied at the 1-st((.

Gentleman at the reception is very polite, friendly and correct. We like the location very very much! Clean, big room, very nice bed linens, calm and no noises from near rooms. An extra bed for third person was ready in time and without extra charge.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I am sorry, but after being woken up at 04:50 in the morning (while asleep) by someone walking into our room I cannot recommend the efficiency of the staff. This person was let into our room by a member of the staff using a master key. It was an awful experience that I never want to experience again.

• Business Double or Twin Room

The room was cold, the heater can’t heat the whole room cause its not a heater the you expect in a hotel. We can hear the noises outside the street. The towels and bed sheets, I’m not sure if they are clean enough.

I like where it located. The staffs are nice.I’m Expecting for a high quality facilities but they aren’t.

• Business Double or Twin Room

On street paid parking only available for a van. Free overnight. Very busy area. No food available except expensive continental breakfast. In room coffee facilities are classed as mini-bar expenses

Good quiet room in a good location

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Slow wifi connection, especially in the evenings. No kettle in the room but the staff can give you one if you ask. No opt-out from having your room cleaned.

Good location. Good price for Schuman area.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel is actually quite old. It said 4 stars but I would rate it 2. to be honest. Breakfast is not worth its price. I booked a room which said 'a king-sized bed' but the bed was made of 2 smaller beds put together (which I hate most when hotels lie about this!). The little bed was quite fine itself but it's just so uncomfortable to wake up in the hole between 2 beds!...Big dissapointment! What I also found strange was that according to Booking.com, I would only have to pay the whole price by checkout. However, a few days after reservation the hotel charged me the price of the first night! I they do that, why do they tell another thing to Booking?! A few days prior to my arrival that money returned to my card quietly. One night before my departure, they charged me the whole amount, but when I was checking out, the receptionist told me that they didn't! OK, I showed him the message from my bank, he looked and said 'oh yes, but that was cancelled after' and now you have to pay again. Seriously?... I really did not like the fact that hotel kept disturbing me and taking my money off the card beforehand and later cancelling the payment. So, just be aware, that is quite annoying.

Location is quite nice, near the European Comission. The window in the room was quite wide with a boulevard view which was very nice (a friend of mine, however, had another room with a poor view inside a yard). The personnel was really friendly and pleasant to talk to. Clean room and a bathroom. I liked the elevator :) and the fact that the hotel was quite compact and stylish. I also liked the corridor inside the room. It was narrow but kind of long which actually makes the room space be away from the common corridor - keeping you away from the noise if any (but it was actually quiet in the hotel most of the time :). A little fridge inside had quite a nice collection of different drinks :). Nice little coffeemachine in the room.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Found bed bugs! During the stay my and my girlfriend were bitten by bed bugs. Since we never have encountered bed bugs before, we thought that it was probably just a rash. And then, when we came back home we found few bed bugs on our clothes. Now we'll have to pay for extermination of bed bugs in out house! Considering a legal case against the hotel.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Tha staff was helpful, but not extra friendly. The room was not extra comfy, smelled weird and could have been cleaner, but in sum not too bad. The breakfast was fair, but nothing extra special, especially the coffee and the choice of hot meals could have been better.

The location is excellent, but other than that, the hotel is only a fair one.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Some basic FREE coffee in room included. There was no means of making a basic coffee (no kettle) and there were no tea bags at all. I could not afford the expensive breakfast on top of the high cost for the room. The City Tax was an unexpected additional cost too.

Bed was ok. Linen was clean, room was quiet.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room and breakfast were way below expectations. Breakfast had very small variety and the pastries were so old as if were leftover from previous days... I won't come back here.

• Business Double or Twin Room

17€ for breakfast. That’s an expensive breakfast.

There was nothing really wrong with the room/stay. My friend and I showed up before our room was ready and the staff accommodated us by placing us into a different room immediately. There are restaurants and pubs outside the front door. And most of the attractions were only about. 20 minute walk from the hotel.

• Business Double or Twin Room

There was a breakdown of the heating and the whole first night of my stay it was very cold. Also,there was a smell of cigarettes in the room

I like the location.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I had a allergic reaction (dust) in a room a couldn’t sleep half a night so the room was not that clean that i would expected.

The location was perfect and stuff was nice.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff was sort of rude to me. I asked for utensils (a fork and knife) to be brought to my room for dinner, and he brought two towels and literally ran away before I could tell him that isn't what I wanted. Kind of strange.

The bed was incredibly comfortable and the hotel is in a great, safe location.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel did not provide the double bed we asked for upon reservation. The beds were too soft.

Great location, next to the metro station. Warm bedroom, which was comfortable after spending a day visiting the city during winter.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The payment was baffling! had to deposit 100 euros even after paying for 3-nights stay! No hot water kettle in room, just a coffee machine which i needed to pay to use & fridge full of expensive items

Very good hotel and good location just close to the European commission and the Schuman station. Very clean environment and friendly staffs

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The rooms are in urgent need of rennovation. This was emphasized in earlier reviews, to which the hotel staff always responded that they will 'take into account' these comments, but apparently nothing happens.

It was an adequate hotel for a short stay and in fact was OK, but it is by no means a four- star hotel.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

This hotel might have been a 4 stars one 30 years ago. If you compare it to the ones nearby (e.g. the Silken Berlaymont, just next to this one, highly recommended) you can definitely notice the difference, from the general atmosphere to the overall quality of the rooms, that in our case was really old-fashioned, with a moquette that defining "disgusting" is a compliment (full of stains and probably never changed since the hotel opened). Some of the bathroom tiles were cracked and the hair dryer was simply ridiculous and useless (the bed was ok though). I would not go there again.

Good heating (even a bit too much), comfortable bed, quiet room, coffee facilities.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Refurbishment needs to reach all rooms. I had previously stayed in better room at the same hotel and room was perfect. This time the state of the facilities, particularly the bathroom, clearly showed that an update was urgently needed. - broken window pane - warm water extremely slow

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bathroom appliance was not very new; the hair drier was a joke (as it is in most hotels). Moreover, the sheets were not perfectly clean, plus we found baby bottle under the bed.

Nice room, nice style all over the facility. Super easy to find, well connected to the city center and to the Brussels airport.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Old and used room, smoking odour, bathroom old etc … Reception very rude (trainee) and unprofessional loudly gossiping about clients in front of other guest. Typical french snobby attitude. Dutch speaking clients not welcome.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The internet connection was horrible, had to be reconnecting all the time and when I was connected the webpages took ages to load. Not recommending if you'd like to get some work done while at the hotel.

Welcoming and helpful staff. Great proximity to the EU institutions and the Schuman metro + airport bus.

• Business Double or Twin Room

Our baby bed did not have additional mattress and therefore our little one slept in our bed. Could also have water boiling pot and tea (for free) and not only Nespresso mashine (for charge).

Staff was friendly and helpful, parking very convenient on the street next to the hotel, comfy rooms, not too much noise from the street.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I was travelling alone and I was first given a dark room in the first floor. The room was smelly and I noticed that the wall-to-wall-carpet was soaking wet in the front of the bathroom. On request I managed to change the room, but still the new room was also dark with a dirty carpet, in addition it was really warm there. The rooms were shabby rooms in dark corridors. In the breakfast room the morning coffee was served from a thermos bottle!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Only one night stay - comfy bed & helpful staff who allowed us to use a room for a shower following half marathon (even though we had already checked out!). Thank you :-)

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The internet was slow, only enough for messaging. NO gym in the hotel. No water kettle in the room.

The bed was extra comfy, there was a Nespresso machine in the room with 4 capsules (2,5€ each). HD channels. I liked the furniture as well. Location perfect for those who visit EU institutions. Breakfast was good. Staff was also helpful.

• Business Double or Twin Room

on the second day the roomcleaners could have been more careful by replacing the coffe tabs (nespresso tabs according to the taste as shown in the box) and add milk. I found my night gown literally thrown on a chair!! In the bathroom my toothbrush and my make up, hairbrush etc.. where all thrown in a corner.

• Business Double or Twin Room

this is the 2nd time I've stayed there and each time, the airconditioning was not working, I will not be staying again

proximity to #EU building s

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The only new thing about the hotel is the name. The facilities are quite old. They need serious maintenance work. Wifi was not very stable in the room. I found it way overpriced for the quality of the hotel.

Room was clean.

• Business Double or Twin Room

I did notice a slight smell of smoke (although it is strictly a no-smoking hotel) and the wifi is by no means the best, as it drops every so often. As there is only one or a maximum of two members of staff at the desk in the morning, check-out can be tricky.

This was a very comfortable hotel and, while the room is not huge, it has practically everything that you need (with the exception of an iron). Staff were extremely friendly and efficient. It is also well-placed to get to the European Parliament and other EU institutions.

• Business Double or Twin Room

it would have been great to have a small kettle in the room to make a cup of tea if one wishes not to go out late at night or be disturbed.

I loved the room and location

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Limited choice of food for breakfast. No tomato nor cucumber. Scrambled eggs prepared probably from egg powder.

Perfect place for business trip to Brussels located in the European Quarter. Both, the EU institutions and restaurants nearby. Nice room and bathroom. Good Wi-fi connection. Air condition.

• Business Double or Twin Room

1- AC not working for 3 days 2- Staff not friendly and not cooperative at all 3- House keeping till 4:00PM only 4- old furniture 5- Bad smell in toilet 6- Drain in shower not good

-Location is near metro station and quiet for relaxing

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Hotel is very tired looking and not particularly clean. No air-conditioning and dangerous plug socket! Which was the same last time I stayed a few months before. Unable to use the safe deposit box in the hotel and no-one available to get it working before I had to leave. I put a 'Do not disturb' notice on the door - which they promptly ignored! No management available until 10am the next day. I asked them to call me, but they didn't.

Good location near to the European Commission but plenty of other (better) hotels nearby

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I would have liked the option to havw a double bed instead of two singles.

The staff were all excellent and welcoming, The room was clean and comfortable wirh a lovely view. The location was great, just next to Schuman station.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast costs were a bit high, especially compared to what we paid in other hotels.

Hotel was well placed, made going to locales we wanted to visit easy. Close by to Metro and good restaurants. Armaments museum is not to be missed.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The price (100 eur/night) was quite steep for mid July. The room was a bit on the small side, but that wasn't a big deal in the end. The internet kept logging me off once per day, but that wasn't a major problem either.

Great location, next to EU institutions, a stone's throw from the metro, busses and airport transfers. Very friendly and professional staff, which is not at all a given in Brussels. Nice communal areas, including garden. I got a small room in the attic (6th floor), apparently ones on lower floors are bigger but this one had a great view over Brussels albeit from a slanted attic window. It's a good idea to ask for a room on the garden side to avoid the street noise.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

bedroom not The best. A bit poor to be a 4stars Breakfast too expensive, no air conditioning in a 4stars hotel? Asked about the parking back in February. Never received an answer.

Furniture and hall was great,

• Business Double or Twin Room

The mannerisms of the staff were new to me, but that is just an artifact of traveling to a country far away. Overall, the people were nice and beds were comfortable. A bit far from the main city, but that serves to make it an escape and reduce noise so you can sleep comfortably. To explore the cities you would need to take a bus or walk a ways.

The bed was super comfortable. I slept soundly. I was in the smallest 'harry potter' room. I felt cosy and at home. The exterior garden was so beautiful. The pictures posted online did not capture it well.

• Business Double or Twin Room

Convenient location in the European sector of the city, close the Schuman metro station and European Commission building. Plenty of bars, restaurants etc nearby. Excellent price/quality ratio. Difficult to beat! The hotel itself, perfect, nothing to add. Clean, modern, with all the necessary equipments. Helpful and gentle staff. I do recommend it.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff was not very helpful as we raised the issue of the fridge not working and key card not working several times and there was no improvement after 5 days. Another issue was that the hotel was clean but the price is too high for a hotel that is not new and could use some refurbishment.

The location of the hotel was great and the cleanness of the rooms and the property.

• Business Double or Twin Room

At least welcome water could be served for free in the room. Breakfest was too poor for the price of 17€

Breakfest was good, but too poor for the price of 17€. Overall accomadation was great, would love to stay again. Room was quite and no noises from the street. Greate location if you need to reach European quarter just a 3min walk to airport bus

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

• Business Double or Twin Room

I disliked having to pay for coffee in my room. There were no tea facilities.

The room was comfortable and clean. there was space to work. It was close to the location of my meeting. Staff were helpful and courteous.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed was too soft. The coffee in the room appeared to be complementary but in the end we got charged for it at room service price level.

The room was big and quiet.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room overlooked the front of the hotel - which was noisy!; No air conditioning available; only large continental pillows available;

Good location; friendly and helpful reception staff; clean room

• Business Double or Twin Room

Little bit cold, and noisy room... :( Tha staff later told me that I could have asked an additional heater. I think there is a problem with the windows. The breakfast is expensive.

Room was comfortable. Location is really good.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Business Double or Twin Room

In comparison with other 4* hotels in Brussels, this is at the lower end of the scale - perfectly comfortable, but a bit tired in terms of decor, with limited facilities. Also, the bathroom (at least in the room I had) was poorly laid out and the hot water wasn't particularly hot.

Location is excellent. I'd also requested a quiet room on the highest floor possible, which I received. Reception staff were very welcoming, professional and friendly.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Business Double or Twin Room

Apart from the location and cleanliness, don't expect much more. I rarely stay at this hotel because it never really appealed to me. Don't like the staff, don't like the fact that there is nothing complimentary in my bedroom - not even a small bottle of water, don't like how narrow and dark the corridors are... Returning only when better accomodation is not available

The bed is pretty comfortable. I borrowed an umbrella from the reception - saved my day. Great location

• Standard Double or Twin Room

They made a pre-authorization on the card and they did not cancel it properly. I had to wait around one week after stay to have possibility to use my money again. I don't like if the hotel does not trust customers.

Just ok accommodation.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

2 single beds for one person not comfortable. Despite booking 2 months in advance, I was given 2 single beds. The beds move apart during movement. I was told no room available to change. Internet rubbish Heater does not work. They provided electric realising it is not working.

The area is quiete

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I was given twin bed, which is awful to sleep. You can only sleep on one of them, which is small and I am not used to. I asked to be moved to double room but was told there are no rooms available. Internet was annoying. The room was cold even with the radiator on. I was in a different hotel before I moved to this one. It was supposed to be an upgrade but ended up to be worse. I had a bad experience.

Staff were not bad.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There was a lack of atmosphere in general, never saw any other guests in the bar or reception area. The rooms are a bit dated inside and could do with a refresh, didn't quite feel like a 4 star hotel

Great location and friendly staff. Sometimes had to wait for someone to come to the reception desk but when they did the staff were friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

• Club Double Room With Private Terrace

The bath/shower -- water pressure low, and temperature difficult to control.

I arrived in the morning, and they let me have my room without waiting. The terrace offered a beautiful view, and parking was available underground for free.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We had a very poor experience with staff at reception and that left us with a very uncomfortable feeling about the hotel. The reception manager (or duty manager) was training a new receptionist and the attitude of the manager was appalling with the new staff member who was trying her best to be very pleasant despite the constant put down of her new boss. Even the evening receptionist was very cold which depicted a very poor staff atmosphere and team management in this hotel.

The location in Brussels is great,

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There was a problem with the shower in the bathroom. When I wanted to call the reception, I could not find the number. There was no number for the reception written on any of the booklets left in the room.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Wi-fi in this hotel even claimed working in all the premises, in fact does work only in the lobby. It is actually as you have no wi-fi at all. For an hotel recently restorated and mainly hosting people on business is to be rated below zero if possible; breakfast costs 17 euro, as in all bruxelles it is a madness. 5 metres, outside, on theleft there's a small bar holding the Silken hotel where you can have a nice breakfast for 4-6 euro

the position very centrally located between the 3 main Institutions

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

While we were out for the day our room was entered and some rather disgusting product left on our bedside. We immediately packed up and were moved to another room, I was horrified. I was also disappointed that there was no follow up the following day or upon checkout from the hotel manager.

Close to metro stop, room was compact but fine

• Business Double or Twin Room

We only stayed for 2 nights and there was a note to leave towels on the ground to indicate we wanted them be replaced (to be environmental friendly). The room service replaced towels regardless where the towels were. Hot water took some time (and every time) to start to run in the shower and even then was playing up occasionally. I asked for a double bed and got two single beds sitting next to each other. The mattresses kept on moving apart throughout the night so woke up stuck in a groove between the two beds. There were some stains on the wall - probably after popping a bottle of champagne.

Modern look, well furnished, quiet area yet fairly convenient access into the city center, a few bars and restaurants within walking distance as well as one small grocery shop.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The heating was not working, although outside it was quite cold. The hairdryer was like 20 years old so its functionality was very poor. The phone in the room was also old with old numbers so I was not able to call the reception.

The new trainee staff (working in the evening) was very nice.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The coffee machine in the room didn't heat the water sufficiently. The rooms are not very soundproof from neighbouring rooms but great from external traffic noise.

Great location near the European Commission.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• Business Double or Twin Room

Everything in the room is paid, not just the stuff in the fridge, but even coffee. There's no kettle in the room to make tea or coffee of one's own. Other more expensive hotels in the area provide a kettle and tea/coffee for free.

nice view and good AC

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We booked economy room but when we arrived there they gave us a superior room as a gift. Thank you. Good price, comfortable stay. More than four stars.

• Business Double or Twin Room

The bathtube was dirty and full of hair from the previous occupiers (the cleaners they didn't bother to clean it) and the coffee machine and the cups and saucers they where dirty off coffee and one hair stik to the dry coffee on the saucer, and the granite window seal was broken and braking the safety regulations, and the air conditioning unit was to noisy

Nothing to be honest

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The Wi-Fi was really bad and also the breakfast was too expensive for what was being offered.

The location was perfect and the size of the room decent. Also overall hygiene of the hotel was great!

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

- Poor internet correction. - The free indoor parking has only 4 spots for 84 rooms. - If you arrive in weekdays you have to pay for parking. - No free coffee in the room. Had to pay for nespresso cups.

- Clean room - Nice decoration - Nice view - Free parking in the weekend

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Very expensive breakfast

Excellent location. Room comfortable. Nespresso machine in the room. Fantastic view from the room. Reasonable price. Free parking. Stuff friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Rooms were a little tired looking. No air conditioning (just a radiator under the window) meant that I was struggling to get the right temperature in the room. I was either roasting or feeling cold. Lighting was poor. Work area was poor. Not enough power points where you needed them, for example if I worked at the desk in the room I had to unplug the table lamp. Same thing if I wanted to have my mobile phone on charge by the bed.

Good location near the European Commission. I had a quiet room. Free Wifi was consistent and without problems.

Browse Newhotel Charlemagne traveller photo gallery