Reviews of Novotel Brussels City Centre 4 stars

Rue de la Vierge Noire 32, 1000 Brussels, Belgium

#39 of 215 hotels in Brussels

The room is quite basic. No personal facilities such as dentistry is offered unless you ask. The breakfast was ok but the staff were more eager to round off the session than make the guest feel welcome

The location is excellent and accessible

I loved the abundance of electricity plugs in the room, including usb ports. I also found it very quite and sound proof. The key requirements when I travel for work.

Would have liked extra mentioning at check in about breakfast closing at 9:30am on weekdays

Rooms clean and tastefully decorated Good soundproofing, middle of the city yet no noise at all Good wifi Public parking nearby

Breakfast was super busy and ran a little low. Quite packed in together.

Let us check in early. Nice small pool and relaxation area. Great location. Spacious room. REALLY good, accommodating staff.

VIS A VIS IT IS A DEMOLITION AREA , BUT IF VISIT BRUSSEL AND DON'T STAY IN THE ROOM IT IS OK

BREAKFAST VERY GOOD , TASTY , REFUEL WATER COFFEE, TEA IN THE ROOM , EVERY DAY .

I was extremely disappointed, because I programmed and left the notice at my door, following directions from the reception, to receive the breakfast that I paid. They did not take my coffee and they did not give me back the money, absurd ...

Espaço

There was something about the majority of staff that made us feel as if we were an inconvenience, or possibly a hinderance. My wife and I have debated this and we think it was because very few of them actually smiled or acknowledged us unless we were actively communicating with them. The main reception desk for example were very helpful when we were talking to them but no-one ever welcomed us back into the hotel or spoke as we went out. Perhaps it is just the type of hotel, we just don't know.

The room was a large double with a desk and chaise-longue and two desk chairs. Good sized and comfortable bed, separate toilet and shower. Plenty of hot water, towels and toiletries. For a city centre hotel our room (225) was very quiet. Plenty of hanging space in the wardrobe but a little short of hangers for our 5 day stay, so a good job we brought our own. We had breakfast included in our package and there was plenty of variety to keep us happy and well fed. If you are a cereals fan then the variety is not huge, with cornflakes, four varieties of granola and muesli being it. Great pain-au-chocolat and croissants (not the mini type seen so often in hotels these day), lovely breads and the normal cooked fare of bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, toast and waffles. Also cold meats and cheeses, fruit etc.

This might be a Novotel corporate issue but pre-charging a 20euro/person breakfast and then told that we had to explicitly remove it at checkout, seemed a bit shady, especially when they are pushing 2min express checkout and this defeats the purpose.

Room was much larger than expected. Location was excellent with loads of restaurants around the hotel and only a short walk to Grand Place.

For breakfast I want to have more choices for yogurt and some choices of brie cheeses. The toilet in separate room/part was rather small a least for big persons.

I was a bit disappointed by the gym which is located at the entrance to wellness, so anyone going to the pool was staring at me working out. However, it was quite well equipped (for Brussels standards, so don't expect too much). This hotel is rather for turists, located directly in the city centre. For business travelers like me (EU meetings), there are better options.

OK hotel in the city centre, nice and clean, room was a bit worn out but comfy (especially the bed). Breakfast was good but crowded with turists.

The toilet was in a separate room from the rest of the bathroom and it had a funny smell. The pool is not as warm on weekdays as it is on the weekends. There is a construction site outside, not much they can do about this but be aware.

Great location! The room is spacious and clean. The staff was friendly. The pool area was great. Comfortable bed.

Shower cabin floor gets a bit slippery, I could see this as a potential hazard for an older traveller, spa facilities include two small saunas, one was out of order, all areas around pool have no coverage so also very slippery and potentially accidents prone. Changing room could also use a rubber mat, for the same reason.

Unbeatable central location, nice big rooms, solid breakfast, comfortable bed. Gym area is spacious and well equipped.

A very run down hotel, filled with big tourist groups. Check in was really slow and at check out they almost charged a breakfast we did not take. The room looks more like a 3star though it has a sofa in addition to a bed. The chain feeling is everywhere.

The room was big enough and the location is excellent.

Rooms not equipped to be a 4 star hotel. Even slippers costs 5 euro per pair. A single complimentary water bottle for 2 people. Requested a silent area for the room and got room 110, which is on the first floor street side. Indicated that at the reception but got no reaction nor an offer to get another room. Heard in the night up to 2am noise of people outside walking having parties. Overall not a common novotel standard/service.

Excellent location

It was an excellent location, very close to 2 metro stations and only a 10 minute walk from the main Brussels station. Lots of restaurants and shops in the neighbourhood. Very quiet, considering the building across the road was being demolished!

We arrived, exhausted and wet during a taxi strike and everyone was helpful and gracious. The room was huge and comfortable, very modern and clean. The best burger I ever had was in the Novotel's Gourmet Bar! Awesome location.

Gym can be better.

Everything is good, as what you would expect in a business hotel. Many good restaurants nearby. Spacious room for European standard

The hotel bar closed at midnight.

The rooms were really spacious. The bathroom was large and had a separate toilet. The shower was really powerful and the complimentary toiletries were of a decent quality. The hairdryer was ok. Location was 5mins walk to the Grand Place. We didn’t go to the spa.

I struggle a little with how the vast television works- if this is my only issue, the hotel must be good.

Excellent hotel- clean, efficent and comfy. Rooms are spacious and well fitted and staff helpful.

Building opposite hotel was in the process of being demolished but didn't impact on our stay.

Hotel was nice and quiet. It was also in a fabulous location only a short walk from Brussels Central train station. Breakfast was great.

I asked for a room with a nice view as I was travelling with my little boy. The lady at reception told me we had a view, but when I got the room it was of a derelict office block being demolished. When I opened the window you could taste the dust of the work taking place on the other side of the derelict building. We had to keep the window closed so he couldn’t even look down at the street when we’re stuck in because of the rain. I think he was a bit disappointed. I noticed the bedding was thread bear and in one spot was torn. I asked at check in for a late check out, I was told 2pm. When I checked about this the next morning i was told 12 otherwise it was a £35 charge

Breakfast was abundant and lots of choice. We were allowed to use the pool shortly after check out time. They charged my phone after I had checked out

There only concern seems to be cost effectif! They forgot to charge me the city tax (4€) so I had to go back to reception in order to do that. I stayed for 3 nights. Every time I went to the (understaffed) reception, the queue was very long. They kept harassing me up to 4 times a day in order to get there 4€ on a total bill off nearly 500€ (already paid). Novotel just tries to be cost effective and they don´t care about anything else. Dissapointing! Ryanair style hotel!

Avoid Fast Check Out option. Invoice will be emailed to you adding several charges whether you use/take them or not (i.e. breakfast). It is not clear from their email how to communicate to correct some of them or amend invoice and you will be gone most likely to a different country while money has been already taken from your account. Who wants to chase money back after checking out?. They need to improve this policy asap or not offer it.

Large room, clean and spacious. Area is walking distance from all tourist attractions and restaurants. Relaxation area and pool a plus.

There were only two power outlets available - a couple more would've been appreciated given the amount of electronics we have around these days.

We thoroughly enjoyed the location hotel - as advertised, all the major landmarks were within walking distance and we did not have to use any public transport at all. The superior room was relatively clean and spacious - overall a very good value for money and generally very comfortable.

No plugs near the mirror, I couldn’t see myself when I was straightening my hair but not really a big issue.

Bed was super comfortable. Reception was very helpful. Quiet room.

I asked them to bring a pen to me and they asked me to go downstairs and get it by myself. Usually the server will bring it to the guest room. They do not offer slippers, which I feel is strange. I understand that we are expected to bring slippers ourselves, but sometimes we do forget. This hotel just refuses to offer us and we feel unsatisfied. We asked for a taxi to go train station and the woman told us to wait inside and the drive will come in. The truth is the driver has waited outside for a long time. We had asked the reception that whether we need to go out and her answer was "no", just wait inside.

location very good. room is big.

Minor nuisance, especially on a phone: the WiFi logs you out every day, so you have to login via a browser again.

Nice hotel, very centrally located, one can walk anywhere in central Brussels in a few minutes. If you need to get to other parts of the city, metro and buses are right around the corner. Lots of restaurants in the area. Very comfortable bed in a very spacious and quiet room.

Excelent location, big and clean room with big bathroom. Nice and friendly staff, elegant breakfast with good choice of good quality products. The hotel is very quiet so you can really rest here. Only 1 minute walk to the metro station and walking distance to most beautifull parts of the city.

Hotel with a great location where we got a room with a really good view of the city, a 5 minutes walk from the main square, and 10 minutes walk from the train station. The room lighting and furniture was on point. For the price the room was really spacious and with all needed amenities. The staff was really helpful the whole time. Everything was really clean, to the lobby and surroundings.

I lacked the following: more sports equipment a sauna

The bed:sleeping in heaven The breakfast:healthy,full of variety,rich, with divine Kusmy teas The staff:smiling,welcoming Internet:fast

The hotel is very close to the city centre. The personell was very helpful and they gave me my room eventhough I arrived at the hotel at 12:00 instead of 15:00. The breakfast was good with enough variety. The room was clean and had all the amenities and comfort needed. However, what made to me a very good impression is that I had the feeling that they have steamed cleaned the curtains before I moved in. They were smelling freshness and cleaniness. Well done

No private parking

It's in a walking distance to a center square, theater, cathedrals and etc., has a lot of restaurants nearby, friendly stuff and comfortable bed.

Loved this hotel. Right in the centre of the city. Walking distance to everything. Spacious rooms with comfy bed. Relaxing pool and steam room downstairs and the most amazing hotel buffet breakfast i've ever had!

Room we stayed in could of done with some painting lots a chips on the walls but minor detail. No iron in the room but no major issues worth complaining about

Clean room - Great location comfortable bed - amazing shower fantastic location - very central close to the metro.

View from room- when hotel called for a taxi it took. Ages to come

Liked the kettle in the room with tea and coffee- very good location. Clean spacious room

Brilliant location for great restaurants and bars. 5 minute walk from Grand Place, 1 min walk from the Metro. Staff very helpful and friendly. Very comfortable bed. Hammam / pool were superb after a long day.

Lots of construction in the area including building and roadworks.

Spacious room for 2 people. Location very central close to a Metro. Also lots of restaurants walking distance.

We didn’t like the breakfast service. It’s a big hotel but it seems like the staff doesn’t know how to handle a big number of people. It was a mess every time. Good quality of food though .

The hotel is very well located. We love the neighbourhood and that’s why we chose it in the first place. The Christmas market was within walking distance from the hotel. The Hammam was great.

The coffee machine at the breakfast buffet made terribly weak coffee - just slightly coffee-flavored.

The room was large enough for two people with large suitcases to leave them open without creating an obstacle. The breakfast buffet offered a wide array of good choices. Immediately behind the hotel was a street lined with very nice little cafes and a small (compared to the one st Grand Place) Christmas market.

I thought the hotel would have been more central. There are 2 Novotel’s in Brussels, the other one is more central. Staff weren’t the friendliest either to be completely honest

The bedroom was modern, clean, and very spacious.

Hotel should negociate with parking to get a more favourable rate. This is possible via internet but was not told so beforehand.

Excellent breakfast. Good value for money. Comfortable bedroom.

I had informed when booking that we shall be having a toddler with us & a cot was provided; what I failed to inform them was to ask for a bath. It was impossible to bath toddler in the shower that we had. The shower head was fixed and it was dangerous (slippery) with a toddler in that shower.

Room was lovely size and location was very central. Would definitely visit again if in Brussels.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Housekeeping attitude was not professional, i asked for slippers and she gave it to me then she took it from my hand once her friend told her this is only for executive room. Very strange

Location was extremely amazing , everything thing is close to you.

You cannot adjust the heating temperature in the room. Too many Flemish and Dutch TV channels. I understand this is the national language but a hotel is for visitors from many countries. You'd expect a wider choice of tv programmes in Englsih and other languages. The maid came to clean the room at 8am. The receptionists are not all well informed. Some are very helpful, others find it hard to check for information for you.

The hotel is just minutes away from the Grand Place,and very close to 2 metro stations. The hotel room was quite big (superior room) and the bathroom was huge! The only thing is that because the bathroom is big it remains cold.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

The pool area was nice but the sauna was turned off and there was a strange smell in the steam room. Though the automatic check-out is a nice idea, I did not receive the receipt on the same day as check out and had to send an email to request it, which defeats the purpose.

The room was large, clean and comfortable. The mattress was good and the staff were friendly when I made inquiries. Great location too.

The Male, dark-haired with glasses, aged in his late twenties, on reception was rather rude to me on arrival. I explained we were double-parked outside the hotel and asked him for directions to the hotel car park. He did not offer to help me in with our luggage or suggest we unload the car and leave our luggage behind the reception desk while we parked the car. He then told me TO TURN AROUND IN A ONE-WAY STREET, effectively driving the wrong way and DIRECTED ME TO A CAR PARK WHICH WAS BEING DEMOLISHED/Refurbished inside! When we did eventually get to a car park and returned to the hotel with our luggage I waited to deal with a long-haired blonde lady on reception (she had her hair tied back in a pony-tail) rather than deal with the same man again - he was "busy" talking on his mobile phone........... So NOT a good first impression. The lady helped a bit by giving us a cup of complementary Gluwein - just a shame they were in cardboard cups.......again NOT a very good impression.

The location was good for city centre attractions and of course the Christmas Markets. The Restaurant staff were very friendly and helpful and a fantastic selection of items were available in the buffet breakfast. Most of the Reception staff were friendly and helpful. Toiletries were good and Fair Trade.

The location of the hotel is excellent. There was a good choice for Breakfast. Close to Metro and Tram station and within walking distance to the city centre.

Room 508 is not a good value for money. The carpet is old and dirty, cleaning was approximate (empty bottle behind behind bedside table), old and damaged paint on the wall... It is also not quiet, even the hotel can't do anything about that, because facing the Main Street which looks to be the main access for police, ambulance and all kind of véhicules with siren, and it doesn't stop overnight!

Very close to everything in the city center and next to public transport.

The service can improve a bit. Smiles dont cost much but make a lot of difference.

The spacious rooms, the modern and comfortable furniture and bed, the facilities especially the gym and for sure the very central location but in the same time not in a noisy street which is a definite plus.

The water from all the taps was basically as salty as seawater for the first day. This may have been due to the extensive road construction happening outside. Once flushed out it was OK.

Very convenient location, just a short walk to the old town. Very modern looking hotel and they have bees on the roof!

Windows overlookind parking in demolition. Couldn't extend my stay for the same price although the rooms were available. Swimming pool is very small. Overpriced but as many hotels in Brussels.

Clean and in the city centre - between De Brouckere and St.Catherine metro station, short walk to Central Station with direct connection to airport. Good breakfast.

Nothing everything was to a high standard

The room was beautiful and the staff very friendly! We really enjoyed our stay and look forward to returning!

Pillows weren’t great, 2 sausage style pillows in one pillow case - so bit unusual and not too comfy. Didn’t request different ones though so don’t like to mention it really. Room is simple but quite spacious and did the job.

Good breakfast selection - esp fresh orange juice maker. Pool with thermal jet and hammam lovely extras for a city centre hotel - great location for exploring. Good restaurants for locals just round the corner! Lovely friendly staff too - young guy on reception checking us in very helpful, lovely greeting at breakfast and great cocktails at the bar too

The staff are not friendly. The check-in process is not smooth. When I asked if we can check the double bed room into a twin room, the staff said they have only double bed room, but later we found out that we can pay 10 euro more to change the room into a family room. There is only one blanket in the room and when I asked for a spare blanket , the staff just said that he will try to get one for me but it cannot be guaranteed, then he hadn't call us back. There is no spare blanket, of course.

You could make the hotel restaurant better by offering a few more dishes.

Facilities are very good, rooms are nice, staff are very helpful and accommodating, plenty of choice for breakfast and an excellent location.

Only 1 disappointment - we traveled with our 1 year old son and we were given a room directly opposite major building works with noise from 7am until 11pm. Made it very difficult for us or our son to sleep. We were offered to change rooms though but we chose not to with only 1 night of our 3 night stay left.

10 out of 10 hotel. Breakfast was amazing, location, staff, cleanliness, swimming pool were really really good

The bathtub and toilet separate. Cleaning staff knocking on the door even if you have a do not disturb sign.

Honestly I don’t have anything specific I liked.

Spacious room, clean bathroom and towels. Comfortable bed. Generally calm quiet environment helping one to catch up with work. Hotel is close to shopping malls and places to eat, take a look leisurely walk.

Staff were helpful and accommodating, checking us in early. Room was a terrific size with good amenities. Many good restaurants nearby. A short walk to many of the attractions in Brussels.

I had a room with a shower cabine instead of a regular bathtube. It becomes really difficult for me to shower the baby. In my opinion 20eur pp for the breakfast is overpriced, even for Brussels. You have Pauls just outside. Just my opinion though :)

Localization near city center Room was perfectly clean

Member of staff at reception putting breakfast for two people on my invoice despite me twice stating we didn’t want breakfast . Same member of staff gave poor directions to car park just generally indicating direction as a result took 20 mins to find after a long journey

Central location very clean rooms

Checking in/out procedures are pretty cumbersome. The street below could be a bit noisy at night. You may want to ask for a higher floor. Very basic amenities; had to ask for a body lotion.

The location of the hotel. The room was rather small and basic but clean and comfortable.

Location wise this hotel is good, however the other Novotel is closest to the centre. Room was pretty standard but had a comfy bed. Only negative is that there were no plug sockets close to a mirror which meant straightening/curling hair was made difficult! Toilet walls had marks all up them too but apart from that it was an ok stay.

Nothing to dislike about the hotel.

Location is fantastic, couldn't be better. We didn't stay a lot in the hotel, just the room was clean and spacious, wifi worked perfectly, that's all:). I wouldn't recommend to take breakfast in the hotel, you can find a lot of good and cheaper places nearby.

Very very small swimming pool, only a single bottle of water a day for family of three

Location was extremely good, stores available nearby and walking distance to central square. Very helpful and responsive staff. Lot of restaurants serving variety cuisines in close neighbourhood.

Good location to walk to Grand Place or local bars and restaurants. Only stayed for one night so didn't use many amenities but everything was great!

Parking is non existent- have to park in nearby multi story car park. Some aren't tall enough for roof boxes. they need new baby cots, the one they gave us looked like a worn out laundry trolley

Breakfast and small pool was good and quiet. Quiet room and nice view

The hotel pool was designed solely for children. Really big mistake by the designers.

Breakfast was excellent. Hotel Gym was very good with something for everyone.

Not really, but no parking lot in the hotel. Parking 58 which is just in front of hotel is totally closed. So we spent 30 min to find a right parking lot near the hotel. Except parking lot, perfect.

Perfect to stay overnight in Brussels. Breakfast was really nice.

Nothing I can think of.

I have stayed very often in Brussels in various hotels which are all 4 or 5 star hotels. This hotel is by far the best I have stayed in. The location is perfect, very close to Grand Place but outside the most tourist traffic. The hotel room had a walk-in shower which is much nicer than a bathtub. Room was big and clean.

Smile is the biggest investment in any hospitality business. We stayed 3 days at this property and not even once we saw a happy, friendly, smiling employee. Especially the gentleman at the reception was not friendly at all!, I would not say rude but definitely not welcoming gestures. Once, by mistake we were trying to walk out of a wrong door in the restaurant and guy in the restaurant totally got pissed off because of this!!! he was shouting at us instead of showing us the right exit.....No idea why!!!

great location, great property. Neat and comfortable rooms.

The location of the place is good but not excellent. Sometimes we had feelings of insecurity on the way to the big square.

The staff is helpful. The hotel is in very good condition. The rooms are spacious, the bed very comfortable and very clean throughout. They have a play area for children. Excellent value for money.

We had to wait over an hour and 45 minutes as the room was not ready. We understand that there may have been problems with house keeping department but whilst we waited, no beverages were offered as a compliment. So, we decided to venture into central Brussels for late lunch & drinks. The staff did apologise for the delay. The wellness facilities are good but swimming pool is more of a large hot tub than a proper swimming pool. Nevertheless at least it was relaxing and all the amenities were functioning well.

Great hotel, well located & close to central Brussels and lots of good restaurants & bars, shopping within short walking distance. The hotel is situated in a quiet location adjacent to St Katherine's church. Friendly, helpful staff. We would stay in Novotel in the future. Value for money with good wellness facilities. The rooms are very comfortable & always a winner, having tea/coffee making facility in the room.

The shower floor and sink that remind me of cheap plastic and the wallpaper in the bathroom.

Location, location, location. Everything is within walking distance. The parking garage opposite the hotel is closed permanently but there is another one 2 blocks away.

We had to change the first room we got because its toilet didn't flush and the sink didn't drain. We were offered another room. It had a bigger bathroom, but the room itself was hard to move around in - kind of like an A-sized room, with very little space. We had to open up our bag right in front of the door which wouldn't open fully because the bag got in the way. The amenities were low. I have experienced lots of 4-star hotels. This one was disappointing. Paper cups and wooden sticks were provided for tea/coffee. There was a lot of room for cleanliness. We spotted nails on the floor, probably left by a previous guest. The menus on the desk were dirty and soiled.

The location was good. There was a convenience store nearby and the Grand Place was a 10 minute walk from the property.

Browse Novotel Brussels City Centre traveller photo gallery