Reviews of Hotel Opera 2 stars

Rue Grétry 53, 1000 Brussels, Belgium

#150 of 215 hotels in Brussels

Shower will completely flood the bathroom. Room was very stuffy and had no air conditioning. The windows open onto a loud street that has bars open until 4am, then the street cleaners start coming through at 8, so you can maybe get 4 hours of sleep. Even with the windows closed, you'll hear everything and then it's extra hot and stuffy. Don't stay here if you plan to sleep or shower.

very bad sound insulation ...you hear everything that happens to the next room. very noise from the street during the night because of the party's

cheap for the level of Brussels

• Double or Twin Room

Our room (205) is tiny and uncomfortable. There's no space even for a hand carry luggage. It is a known fact that most European hotels have no air conditioning unit. However, we were told that all their rooms are facing the street which bars and restaurants in the area closes around 1 in the morning. We have to ask for a fan because it is too loud when you open the window. The elevator is not working during our stay so we have to carry our luggage up and down the stairs. In fairness, the staff are very helpful and accommodating but the hotel needs major updating.

Good location. Near train station, Grand Place, restaurants and bars.

• Double or Twin Room

The elevator was not working. The street can be a little bit noisy at night but it’s the “price” you pay to be located on the main restaurants area

Location is the best about this hotel

• Double or Twin Room

Worst thing was the shower. It flooded the whole bathroom whenever we used it. The maid said it was normal. But we felt uncomfortable using it. I think they said they were working on changing that

Staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. Also, location is excellent. Like being in Greenwich Village it the Latin Quarter in Paris. A real happening place with restaurants and bars But. A bit noisy on the street side. They moved our room to the back with no trouble and it was very quiet

• Double or Twin Room

The walls are super thin! You can here other guest walking around, talking, coughing...ext. The floors are super squeaky and most importantly there is NO AC. You can also here everyone on the streets through the whole night. It’s a good hotel for young people who stay out and drink.

It’s located right in the center which is great! All the top sights were just short walks from the hotel and it is surrounded by great restaurants and bars!

• Double or Twin Room

A lot of noisy drunk people outside at night. Room was very small and hot. Tiny and slow elevator.

It's right in the centre of Brussels. Metro and train station close by. Friendly staff.

Nothing but the Amazing Location meant a lot of Noise from teenagers and youth, partying, when you're trying to Sleep :/ (Hahah!). But the noises stops at 0400H :P

Everything was Positive & Perfect - from the comfy bedroom to the super friendly and warm staffs, it made my first visit to Brussels so memorable. I'll be back again, guys (:

• Double or Twin Room

When we were checking in we asked if we could add breakfast to our stay (and pay for it), and we were told we are too late!!!! (?????) How much in advance should you tell this?? Rooms were very small, and also there is only one power outlet in the room not close to bed.

Thing we liked the most here is location that is quite central, so convenient to see the city. Decently clean also.

Everything. I got bitten by spiders in my bed, I was refused a refund by reception, they thought I was making up the bites, even though I sent these pictures as well. On top of this, the room was painted that day before we arrived, it's a small room so the paint fumes gave us headaches and we had to sleep with the windows open. This would have been fine to do if the hotel was positioned right on the main party street, so the noise came flooding into the room. We planned on staying 2 nights but had to check out first thing Saturday morning because of the above points. Do not stay here - it's not worth it, my spider bites have scarred as well, so I'll never forget my stay at Hotel Opera!

I didn't like this venue at all. I'd recommend no one staying here.

The staff were kind and helpful. The weather was amazing but very hot and the room had no air conditioning or fan. One or the other would be a great addition. I was glad I had a room on the top floor with a skylight for ventilation.

• Double or Twin Room

The room did not have air conditioning so we had to leave the window open during the recent hot spell. Unfortunately this meant we were kept awake by revellers until the early hours and then awoken by refuse collectors in the early morning. The booking information did not differentiate between a double or twin room meaning we had to ask to be moved from a double to a twin and ended up in a double room with three single beds. I'm not sure whether this was a problem with the hotel's booking system or Booking.com but the staff were very accommodating.

The location of the hotel is excellent, very close to all the main central attractions.

Expected comfort for this cost, a bit steep stairs, old lift with no signalisation, but hotel will be improved soon as reported, noisy from outside as expected in the evening, noisy also from road reconstraction in the morning

Very good price, correct staff all 24 hrs a day, great position of hotel, room small but everythink I needed, room completely satified me, number of stars matches with quality

• Quadruple Room

The construction that was going on was very intrusive. We were woken up by construction two mornings in a row. The room smelled of paint from the hallway painting. The hotel was very dusty.

There was renovation going on which was quite disturbing. Also we were not allowed to keep our keys and had to return it to the concierge which was odd.

The location was great - it was good and convenient to stay in for a few days.

My only issue was that the hotel is being renovated which caused for a bit more noise and dust, but other than that it was great! Staff was very helpful, bed was comfortable, the location is very good.

-A little dated but the room was nice -Although the close proximity to the centre is great for getting the most out of your visit to Brussels, it also means that it can be noisy at night due to the bars and restaurants nearby.

• Double or Twin Room

The bed was gross and super itchy! It wasn’t overly clean and loud at night due to location. Can’t expect anything more though as it was fairly cheap. They also charged my credit card for the room before we arrived and we were only putting down the cc for security- if we knew we would have paid with a different card.

Location was good

• Double or Twin Room

No complimentary tea provided in the room.

Very efficient service in fantastic location very close to a tram station in central Brussels. Fast, reliable wifi. Pleasant vintage decor. Very clean, pleasant shower and toilet room. Comfortable spacious bedroom. Range of breakfast items.

• Double or Twin Room

The hotel was almost impossible to locate. The Booking.com map took me in circles for over an hour. I stopped and asked three different people for directions and I also called the hotel and the front desk guy said it’s located off the Grand Palace. The Grand Palace is huge with four corners; his vague directions were unhelpful. Also, the street partiers remained loud after midnight on a week day; I didn’t sleep well at all due to the street noise.

• Double or Twin Room

Unbalanced quality/price. The hotel is very old and don't look clean. It was just ok to spend a night there but i would not recommend if you wanna stay longer and expect more confort.

The location and staff were great. Very friendly. The hotel is very centered closed to train station and so very convenient.

Electricity sockets - should have a better earthing and be functional in the entire room. In my case, the only one I could use to charge my phone was in the bathroom. Still, the hair-dryer was not working and would have to leave the bathroom open if I needed the phone while charging. Lightbulbs /lamps - think problems also about earthing. Closet - also in my case, the closet was too large/big and in the way while heading to the bed.

Great location. Staff attitude was great, very responsive and attentive. Good and strong wi-fi connection. Cleaning services and heat are also a plus. A question: why is necessary to leave the key at desk, while away with work or visiting? (not that is a bad thing! )

There is no laundry service.

The location is very great, it's located in the city center just 5 minute walk to the famous and beautiful grand place of Brussels. The surrounding area if full of many shops and restaurants, the staff was very friendly and informative and they will help you as much as they can. The price is also not very expensive for a single-bed room.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Shower curtains are not really standard in a hotel anymore. It is a pity that the hotel changed its policy and breakfast is not included in the room rate anymore.

Excellent location in the city centre.

Either my credit cards nor debit card did not work with their device! It is impossible! I had to pay with cash. They should change their card reader! Hotel location is good but it is next to the bar area. So, the noise was terrible. I think the windows should be replaced with double glass window (noise proof type).

Location!

The walls are a little thin so you could hear everything going on on the street (I was on the top floor), and someone talking in the room next door. However, I was able to sleep during the night, the noise seemed to be in the evening due to the restaurants/bars on the streets.

The location was great, a basic room for your basic needs.

• Double or Twin Room

- the location is good if you prefer to be in the center, however it is quite noisy - walls are not soundproof at all - you have to pay by check-in

-nice staff -in the city center

In the first room assigned it was dripping into the room. Got a new room but considering the price it is pretty shabby. You pay for the location

Perfect location

- aged interior, needs to be replaced ASAP - the lift is sometimes headstrong and I end up in the basement instead of 3rd floor (but second attempt after that was always ok)

+ great location + friendly staff i was ok with the noise in the nighttime as I asked for room on the quiet side

Took one look at the breakfast and ran out. Looked horrible but will admit I didn´t taste anything. The smell on the corridors of the hotel was terrible, smelled of food.. The walls between rooms were paper thin and I could hear every word from next room - very uncomfortable. And it was noisy outside my window until late hours, people shouting and stuff. Not very nice. Bed rather uncomfortable.

• Double or Twin Room

Loud neighborhood due to all the restaurants and shops. Tight space.

Close proximity to the train station. Bed was comfortable. Clean room. Great staff. Restaurants was in the area.

• Double or Twin Room

I didn't notice when I booked it that there were no bar facilities but as there were so many bars and restaurants close by it wasn't a problem.

The beds were very comfortable. The rooms were small but had enough storage space for our 4 night stay. The bathroom was also small but was fine. the location is quite noisy at night.

• Double or Twin Room

The photos could do with updating. Looks like they were taken 10 years ago. Hotel looks a little tired. Noise is to be expected in the city centre.

Smack bang in the middle of Brussells. Excellent location. Friendly staff, good continental breakfast.

• Double or Twin Room

Staff quite rude at times depending who was on. Facilities were poor, no kettle or anywhere to make a drink. Decor very dated but you get what you pay. For a few cheap nights AwAy it's okay.

Comfy quaint rooms, bang in city centre. EAsy to find and cheap.

The location is amazing. The staff is very helpful. The rooms are small and old, but very clean. Worth the money. But I advise you to take Metro to De Brouckere station from Gare Centrale station. From the airport, you can take train to Gare Centrale. I walked from there to hotel. But if you have big luggage, you can take metro to De Brouckere station which is just by the hotel.

I was on the top floor and while it was not particularly warm, only 21°C but overcast all day, it was quite warm in my room. I had to keep the window open all night and it was a bit noisy in the street down below since it is in a street full of restaurants/tourists. I was a bit loud until about 2am, on a Thursday night, but not that loud that I couldn't sleep. Nothing the hotel could do about that anyway.

The bed was comfortable and I was able to access the room from 9am which was great as I had a very early morning flight. The room had not yet been cleaned from the last person, but I could leave my luggage there and freshen up in the bathroom. This was wonderful to be able to do. The furnishings looked a little dated, but everything was very clean, so it didn't bother me at all. 24 hour reception was great too as I had to leave early the next morning. Everything felt very secure and the front door was locked when I wanted to leave.

This was the dirtiest hotel I ever stayed in . I cannot believe you would even list them. The place is ready for a total guy out renovation. The carpet was so filty I didn't take my shoes off in the room

Although the location is good it is unbelievably noisy not just from the people outside the cafes but lots of building work outside that commenced about 6 a.m.

The location was perfect and loads of restaurants nearby offering a set menu that was good value as Brussels is a dear city. Only a few yards from the Central station if you need it for trips out.

• Double or Twin Room

Only drawback it’s a car free zone so you have to push you baggage, but I would still highly recommend staying at Hotel Opera.

Excellent location just 5 minutes walking from Grand Palace and in mid of city centre…. Everything is available just around the Hotel.

• Double or Twin Room

Location is perfect! Its in the city center, two minutes from delirium cafe, two minutes from Belgium central station, and the City hall. Very clean, reception open 24hs, hair dryer in the bathroom, great choice for a couple of days

• Double or Twin Room

If you don't want any street noise, this may not be the place for you. many rooms were not so big as ours, or didn't have a nice view.

Our room had three openable windows, with a view onto one of the main pedestrian streets. Lots of fun to people watch and hear music. Location was super. Price, which included breakfast, was quite reasonable for such a big city and such a good location.

• Double or Twin Room

Very noisy. My room faced the street and with the windows open you could hear the cars and lorries doing their delivery early in the morning. It was too stuffy to not have the window open. Other people in my group had a room opposite side of the hall and their room was very quiet.

Location is good. If you like cheese and ham bread rolls then breakfast is for you.

• Double or Twin Room

Misleading photo of hotel; Room temperature was too hot; no air conditioner-was given a small fan when enquired; no fridge; no tea making facilities; shower curtain was flimsy and lopsided- already looked damaged; soap was very poor.

The staff

• Double or Twin Room

no air conditioning in the rooms, the rooms were too small, the windows were not soundproofed and there were loud noises all night until 04.00 hours that kept us awake, the breakfast had a poor selection of food and the quality of food was poor.

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast room can get very crowded at peak times with table sharing. Room was rather small to move beds apart (fixed bedside tables).

We have stayed here many times. Friendly helpful staff. Comfortable hotel, if a little worn in places, with a great location just a few minutes from Grote Markt and Metro. Reasonable price (for the centre of Brussels). Good WiFi.

• Double or Twin Room

No air conditioning,but excellent fan supplied

Very helpful staff who show good willing and accommodate their guests fully..basic accommodation but has everything you need, breakfast lovely ,again basic but meets all the needs of morning feeding,location excellent and plenty of choice for evenibg eating.a must when visiting brussells!

• Double or Twin Room

Very noisy area; no air conditioning and no fridge very disappointing especially when there were 31 degrees celsius outside.

Consistent and variate breakfast. Nice and helping staff.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room

That is the really shabby hotel with very much limited comfort. I did not understood this is a 3-stars hotel. One star for location. What else ?

The only I liked is the location

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

get rid of the noise the punters make

Friendly staff/clean bed linen/nice breakfast/wi-fi/ and centrally situated-pity about next door to the ?drunks/disappointed punters-carrying on very loudly until 3am.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room

I don't have something bad to tell about the property. Everything seemed to be okey. I am really glad that I chose the property during my stay in Brussels.

I liked the location of the property. It's in the heart of the city of Brussels.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

• Double or Twin Room

It's not up to the hotel, but the noise on the streets was sometimes a bit annoying.

The location was really great. The fact that the rooms were cleaned on a daily basis was something unexpected..it's a 2star hotel, let's not forget :) i really enjoyed it. I do recommend it!

Bed was rock hard! Floor wasn't clean Hotel was old and didn't do any renovations since the sixties.

Good breakfast! (excepf for the bug in my water) Nice staff

• Double or Twin Room

We arrived at the room around 1 pm and as we opened the door we realized that the room was not done and cleaned yet for us. The room was totally messy and dirty from previous customers. We found it quite weird as the check-in time was before 1 pm. In any case we had to wait an hour or so to get it done. During the night we found it a bit noisy as it is very central and close to bars and pubs.

The Hotel is very central and close to all the main attractions in Brussels. The room was quite clean (after cleaning it with a delay) and OK for 2 people. My overall experience was positive but I would recommend it for a short-term period.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Room for a double on top floor was very small. Just one velux window and sloping ceiling felt claustrophobic. Cigarette hole burned in blanket. Although room was clean all other corridor areas looked grubby and carpet looked dirty. Luggage room which we required did not feel safe as the key is given out to any guests requiring access, we ended up moving ours and they were kept safe in the cellar of the Four Nations Bar opposite where we had spent a lot of time.

Bed was comfy. Staff on Reception always there. Location on small street with bistros, bars and small shops. Central location. Room was always attended to daily and clean. Wifi and TV in room. Self serve Continental breakfast had quite good selection of foods. Reasonable rate for central location.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Geographic location was great (next to Place du Luxembourg).

Please change your mattress in the beds they are too much used and worn out (old) thus making difficult to have a sleep.....

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Double or Twin Room

There is a problem on the whole floor of the building. You can hear and feel anybody passes outside your room or walking in the corridor and the rooms next to yours.

Excellent location. Very friendly personel. Clean and tidy. Breakfast was good. Very small rooms.

My room was on the street side so there was noise from nearby pubs and restaurants until late. Bring ear plugs!

The location is awesome, right on the historiacal centre. Breakfast was better than i expected: different types of bread, ham, salami, cheese, cereals, fruit, eggs..

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

small room, small bed, thin walls, poor wood-frame windows awfull isolation, very drafty, wi-fi barely working, too much trafic on a poor connection.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Don't be fooled, this is a budget hotel and it's biggest asset is its location. That said, there are no double glass windows (at least not on the 3rd floor), and since the hotel is located in the middle of a street with restaurants and bars, there were a lot of people laughing and screaming on the streets up until 6 am, so it was a bit difficult to sleep well. The walls are also super thin, so you can practically follow your neighbours conversations. Fortunately the other guest weren't loud or made noise during the night, otherwise it would have been impossible to sleep. Also, brace yourself because the breakfast room is tiny (I counted 26 seats), and at around 9am people had to wait for a place to sit. On top of that, I only saw one poor staff memeber tending to the kitchen and dishes.

The strong point of this hotel is its location:close to the Grand Place, Bourse and Metro lines 3 and 4. Everything is within walking distance. The room was proper and the breakfast food was fine for a 2 day stay. Staff was helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

The wifi was slow and often simply didn't work. I need wifi when I travel internationally to plan my next day, buy train tickets, etc. A couple times the wifi was so slow my pages wouldn't load and I had to go walk to a coffe shop that had wifi just to finish the task.

The price was competitive and the breakfast included was a nice addition

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Young man on reception wasn't friendly. No communication, very poor attitude. More interested in his phone. Lift wasn't working when we checked out. No offer of help with our bags, or to another family who were clearly struggling.

Location. Hotel was old but clean and had everything we wanted.

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

• Double or Twin Room

The bathroom was flooded, had to change room late night. the other room was a three bedroom, with three people in next room... it was noisy, difficult to get sleep. Location-wise excellent - this is what you pay for, not for comfort inside.

The location was excellent and the staff very pleasant.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

• Double or Twin Room

As noted, street does get noisy on weekend nights due to its location.

Central location which, for the price, simply can't be beat. Immense value for money so would definitely recommend. Very helpful staff; we complained about the noise coming from the street and they immediately changed our room to one on the other side of the building.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

Rooms are very small and narrow, shower is hardly funtioning, there is not any sound insulation between rooms or even the room door, it was not possible to turn of the heating

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

• Quadruple Room

Hard to find at first, people have no idea where's this place, the room is alright except the blankets, very smelly and looks like it wasn't wash for long time.

The location is accessible to all places, like shopping, restaurants, pubs, tourist attractions.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Maybe better soundproofing for the Friday and Saturday nights.

The location was great, breakfast was good, rooms old but clean and comfortable and the temperature was perfect no matter that outside was 5-6 degrees. Staff were friendly and helpful, we had great and cheap stay for 2 nights! Will come back for sure

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

Breakfast was somewhat simple but for this price acceptable.

Very helpful receptionist; they printed my PowerPoint presentation at no extra costs to me and gave me a pen to borrow.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Building is a bit old and the heating system was not that good.

Overall neat and clean hotel at the heart of Brussels. Very convenient location for tourists.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

• Double or Twin Room

The rooms are thin walled. I can hear the creaking of floors from the next room. And the lady beside our room wouldn't stop yapping, and it feels like that Lady is with us in the room. That's how thin walled the room are. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and feels like our bed is in the middle of the road. With all the noises around us. If you want a good sleep. This hotel is not for you. But if you want value for money, good location and free breakfast , this hotel offers that.

The location is fabulous! In the city centre. Surrounded by shops and restaurant . Quite noisy outside on evening time. But that is acceptable as it is in the city centre

Was quite noisy due to bars nearby, although this was probably made worse by it being new year.

Good selection of food for breakfast, excellent location, good selection of TV channels including English language options

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The bedding could be better. Shower curtains are a bit outdated. The whole property could do with a slight overhaul (I have been going there for 25+ years and not much seems to have changed since).

Good location, close to (touristy) restaurants and the Grande Place.

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

Corridor needs painting but that does effect your stay.

Location was very good staff were very polite and friendly/helpful.Room was very clean only a 1 bed room small but enough space.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

No soundproof at all, a lot of noise from the street. Breakfast could be improved.

Good location minutes from Grand Place. Good WiFi. Decent value for money

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• Quadruple Room

At the breakfast many people come in the same time - around 9am - and there is a queue to get a table which with little children is rather challenging, and, the feeling that you have to rush because there are other people waiting wasn't pleasant either. To get around the coffee cups and plates was difficult as they are in the passage way and everybody bumps into each other. Breakfast buffet was rather poor and also not really accessible for more than 1 or 2 persons in the same time. Room was very basic and blankets need exchange already after being used for a very long time.

Location is excellent.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

The breakfast definitely needs improving. There should be cooked scrambled eggs as a minimum. Also, rooms should have kettles in them and better plug points. When anyone wants to have some hot water at night they have to come to the kitchen and find that there is no kettle but a machine that takes too long to warm up. Breakfast space could be made larger too

The room was warm and cosy and there wasn't any pressure from the staff to vacate early. They also had a safe place to keep luggage

Browse Hotel Opera traveller photo gallery