Reviews of Royal Hotel 1 stars

4.3

5.7

4.7

5.9

Steep Staircase to Reception and the rooms. Not ideal if travelling with luggage. Room clean but smelt really bad from the toilet.

Great Location, next to Metro Line and 9 minutes walk to North Train Station that takes you directly to the Brussels Airport. A good place to sleep.

Where do I start from room was too small, bathroom is like a cage and no view at all as there was scaffolding. Staff is very rude no helpful at all would never advise any of be careful 😳😳

• Single Room with Internal Toilet

The stairs.... Long and narrow stairs and they also gave me a room on the second floor where I had to go two more floors on those narrow sharp stairs

Nothing special I liked to mention

We can not sleep all night. Our room was right next to the desk of the receptionist, we listened to everything that happened in the reception and also the sound of the telephone. In addition our window looked directly to a bright sign that is on all night, there is much clarity in the room, it seemed that it was daytime.

The bed was very big. They stored our bags throughout the day.

• Single Room with Internal Toilet

Credit card reader did not work; had to go to an ATM to get cash "Hotel Royal" and "Royal Fast Food" in the same building Would have expected more for 80€ per night

Cheap; quiet

Bitten by bed bugs, pink mould in the bathroom, steep and slanted dangerous stairs, very unclean even for a basic hotel- there was a massive blood stain on the pillow once the pillowcase was removed

Very good location, staff very friendly

It was not clean. The room wasn't the right size for the bed so I had to crawl over the bed to get the remote for the broken tv.. There was noise all night long. The propieter refused (yes downright refused) to make an invoice for my stay. Service was downright rude I cannot recommend this place. It's awful.

It's accross the street from where i needed to be in the morning. But that's really all that is good about it. Location. That's it.

The place was not very clean and was pretty run down, we also had to keep the curtains drawn because there were construction workers right outside our window.

Bed was comfortable and shower was decent with consistent hot water.

• Single Room with Internal Toilet

Not very clean. There was a hair on my bed and the furniture was in bad condition. The shower had mold and the room was very hot at night. The breakfast only consisted of toast and jam. Would not recommend staying here even for the low price. It's below a one star hotel.

Close to the North Gare.

I had a terrible experience last night. Thank goodness I took pictures before and after. I went to open the window and the curtain rod fell down on me. When I told the receptionist, it took 30 mins for him to come to my room and then he was on the phone and "trying to fix" the curtain with his free hand and his feet on my bed. When they couldn't fix it and had no other room, he propped the curtain on an open window. Eventually since I was on a busy street I had to close the window because it was so loud and then there was nowhere for the curtain so you could see into my room. I asked to speak to the manager the next day and he didn't get in until the afternoon. Instead of apologizing and giving me a refund for the 65e room, the new receptionist accused me of breaking the curtain and said they would charge me. I left and have emailed booking but now they said they aren't giving me a refund and want me to pay for repairs. Unbelievable!

• Single Room with Internal Toilet

Needs some repair works to be done in the hotel. Looks like it has not been taking care of for long time.

You have everything you need. Comfortable Good price Great location

Smelly room, smoke from other rooms came in, no airco, permanent noise, hard pillow, no drainage in the bathroom and the room was flooded after I showered. No night lamp. Entrance too narrow.

Location was good.

Staff was very very rude more than you can imagine and he simply didn't care at all even though the problem was from the hotel card machine. We asked to talk to manager and he said he is away and there is nothing I can do to you except us going and take cash and pay him full amount or simply leave. we suggested to pay him the amount and reduce the transaction fee of the ATM and he kept in refusing and when we said we want to cancel he said you will be charged the amount anyway because it is not refundable. It was the worse experience with a hotel receptionist I ever had and definitely I wont book again in this hotel. In addition to that the room was cold and dirty. The toilet you can hardly sit in. Rude staff. I don't recommend it at all.

The only thing I liked in this hotel is its location

Breakfast was very poor - only bread, butter and jam; Furniture was dirty and outworn, the covering of the bed was extremely unclean - with many unidentified spots. The staff also was awful .

The person at the lobby was not nice, we couldn't pay neither with the debit card nor the credit card so we had to get cash and loose 5€ (it's not much, but it could be a beer) just because she said the machine sometimes works sometimes not although in the web site says we can pay at the reception wit any kind of card. We had a double room reserved (two beds) when we arrived she said that there isn't more double rooms so we'll get a triple room but the little bed we can not touch it because it will cost like a complete single room, so I had to sleep with my friend in one bed although we had payed for a double. The tv never worked, the wifi was so so bad, we had to go to the train station (free wifi) to continue doing our reservations for the incoming days. The bathroom had no ventilation any kind of it, the water at the toilet was running after using it so only "pipi". At night the window didn't close well and any way it was so loud, because we got a room in front of the Main Street.

• Single Room with Internal Toilet

The machine of payment it doesn' work. For genius booking i had the privilegge for checkIn 2 hours before, i sennd the request but he didn't attent.me. the owner it was so rude..

Nothing of this hotel.. a lot of stairs. No elevator..

Stay away from this place. It is cheap, so if this is the reason you want to book, rather stay at a hostel or a tent under the bridge. Anything is better than this dump. The "breakfast", yes I used quotation marks, was marmalade and cheap bread from the nightshop. Of course, I did not expect much, but to manage to go even below those low expectations is next level disappointment. Horrible!!!!!!!!

The breakfast was very simple, the room was not clean, the wall was dirty and very poor. The place in the city was near to the city center. I paid the room cost when we before arrive and after there i had to paid again, and day deleted my first paid. I didnt understand but i coud not use my money.

• Single Room with Internal Toilet

I was bitten by some kind of insect as I slept and still have a large red mark on my lower back; I saw stains on the bed cover and it made we wonder about the cleanliness of the sheets. The room seemed to be under construction and did not have a finished look; it felt like sleeping in a dirty closet. The room needs a makeover and probably a new mattress; as the current one seems to have a bug living in it. Also, the stairs up to the front desk are a challenge with a large suitcase and should be shown in their advertising more obviously.

I liked the location; the city is beautiful.

The room was absolutely disgusting. The sheets were stained and there was a dead bug on the floor. No AC and no elevator. I had to carry all of my bags up 3 flights of tiny little stairs. Also only one pillow on a queen size bed.

Dirty & water was running cold , I had to wait for like an hour for it to heat , & the morning staff was just shouting nobody had complain , just wait , since everybody is in shower you can’t get warm water right , wait wait for sometime for the heater to warm up & it lasted 1hour plus I would have take pictures and the heavy smell when you walk inn is terribly BAD.

No elevator, had to climb 3floors. No AC, no early check in, tiny TV , no lock on the bathroom door, lot of sounds from neighbors

Has a restaurant adjacent to it

• Single Room with Internal Toilet

Noise - i got room close to reception and it was very noisy, people were shouting well after midnight

The proximity to the city centre, bathroom in the room

• Single Room with External Toilet

The room was very cold- heater didnt work at all, wi-fi on the top floor didnt work too, staff didnt give second blanket and said “Only one blanket per person”

Location is good - so close to city center, staff is nice

-the room was not at all what we saw in the presentation photos: we did not have enough space to even move around the bed, the closet from the room was so small we used it only to hang some clothes, the rest we kept in the luggage, the bathroom was small and not pleasant for the eye, there was no desk/table eventhough in the description it was mentioned. -the room and the bathroom need serious refurbishing.

-everybody from reception was nice and helpful and willing to make our stay pleasant -24h open( good as we had to leave in the middle of the night) -close to the Brussels Nord railway station (7 mins walk), subway (3-4 min walk), city center (15-20 min walk)

• Single Room with External Toilet

Steep and narrow stairs. Shower inconvenient to handle (stop-water-function requires continuous hard pressing of a button)

Clean location, friendly staff. Good value for Money.

Basically almost everything apart from the location and coffee. The room is very very small. We can't barely walk when we put our luggage in our room. The bathroom is also small, old and dark. The room is not clean and the bedsheets and blanket smell. Etc.

The location is really good. Just a few minutes walk from metro. The coffee taste good.

The breakfast was poor. it was very hot during the night. Also you can hear the cars from the street. No hot water in the shower

The location was very nice

Very dirty. Haven´t seen such a dirty room before in a hotel. The floor was super dirty that after doing a few steps the white socks where dark brown. The bed blankets were dirty with a lot of stains, it looked like they were not washed in a while. The toilet was also in very poor conditions without toilet paper. The TV did not work. I recommend to stay here only as a last resort

Located very close to the North station. Price?

• Double Room with external toilet

The toilet was not clean, the hotel smells, the breakfast was only bread and jam There was a strange noise until late in the night, we think it was too noisy ventilation like vacuum cleaner above our heads.

Hairdryer and the pillows

For a stay of one full day we experienced the worst hotel in our lives. Day 1 - Terrible place - the photos are totally outdated. Beware! This place doesn't look like what's on the photos!!! The furniture is falling on its pieces. The bathroom is actually part of the room separated with a wooden door and we couldn't really close it. Everything looked dirty and old. Day 2, morning - Extreme levels of noise and no heating (outside is -5C). Apparently, they had a heating problem - moved us in a room with two separate beds because they didn't have any other free. The second room was even worse - even the sink in the toilet wasn't working right. Now the cherry on top - we found bed bugs in the bed. We went to complain and they explained the "boss" is not there so there's nobody we can complain to. They asked for a picture of the bug???? We were terrified. We did leave immediately - We are still fighting with them to return our money for the rest of our stay and they even lied to booking we stayed there the whole time (booked 5 days) when we left on the second. Please stay away from this place!!!

i liked nothing - this place is a total nightmare.

• Single Room with External Toilet

After having my first reservation cancelled and had to pay extra for a re-booking, I was surprised to be informed that I had no breakfast booked with the room. moreover, the shower head was broken and the area around the window in toilet was full of mold between the tiles.

• Double Room with external toilet

Lots of stairs, which were difficult for me as a stroke patient, and my partner who must bring all the lady stuff, resulting in a suitcase as big as herself. Hot water is not available in the morning, which is my preferred time for shower and shave.

This is a budget hotel. The proprietors were nice, and mostly helpful. On arrival we were assigned a room with ensuite toilet, which my lady partner appreciated. Breakfast included, essentially a Continental affair. Good coffee, and decent toast with good preserves.

Staff a little moody, we had to wait on counter for almost 2 hours to get to our rooms, during those 2 hours, we asked for wifi password, and the lady staff told us to wait until we do check in. Room smelled not so fresh. No elevator.

Good location, in front of a metro station. Proper room size, not too little not too big. Full Wifi signal on rooms. Clean sheets.

Bathroom was to small and disgusting Room was dirty and dusty Key system was outdated and made me feel insecure

There was nothing to like in this hotel

The room we were given stank of dirty drains and mould, it was overbearing and we had to ask for a room move. The second room didn't smell and you could tell that it was an upgraded room compared to the one we had booked. However it was quite cold in the room, we slept with the heaters on and very close to the beds.

Staff was very helpful when we asked to change rooms as the room given initially stank of dirty drains and mould. Staff also let us store our luggage on our day of departure.

The hotel was terrible: very dirty, smell of kebab everywhere, tiny room with door handle broken, rat poison under the heater, broken sink, dust everywhere...wifi didn't work at all...absolutely not recommended!!

Position was pretty good.

Not very clean. No lounge to hang.

One night we arrived at 11 p.m. starving because we couldn't find any restaurant open in the city and the hotel's kitchen was open and they served us a great soup.

I will not go back there, that’s for sure. The hotel staff taking a copy of your ID is just not acceptable, not to say illegal straight away. When I requested for the copy to be destroyed, the answer was a straight no, and they didn’t even explain clearly why they needed to keep my information. One of the hotel staff was quite rude, not even letting you speak. In the morning, the shower broke, and it took quite a while for them to fix it - I ended up having to take a shower with partially cold water because I was in such a rush. There were nails completely exposed in the bathroom door, showing a complete lack of consideration for guests’ safety. I just wanted to get out of there, it was probably one of the worst experiences I had at a “hotel”. Would not recommend, at all. For the price I paid, I would have expected a lot more.

First the room was so small. Second the bed was not clean ,tge toilet was so smelly and you can hear everything noise feom others rooms. I didint manage to sleep so i was so tired. Really unconfortable hotel.

The only good thing is its in the center. Near in shopping street.

Actually, in my room was smelling cigarettes, noise insulation was very bad, actually i could hear my neighbors talking with each other in another room

Location, the price

• Single Room with Internal Toilet

breakfast just toast and jam , coffee no normal bread, no cheese , no cereal room was the smallest room i have ever stayed in , was not clean and was noisy , tiny tv above the door , no towel

location is perfect

Service was terrible. I had to fight with the receptionist to provide am extra towel, he told me "why don't I place the existing towel on the floor if it messes". Too narrow steps to move luggage up and down (a size 7 UK shoe would find it hard.to maneuver) rooms are dark decor that's adds gloom. You lucky if you get hot water and the tap in shower doesn't close continously while showering. Breakfast host was good but same receptionist got upset for using a serviette nearby beaches colour was different instead of providing serviettes near you. It's like they don't want to improve because they so cheap but dnt realise reviews help

Beds were Comfy

• Single Room with External Toilet

Hotel was very grubby and old. Bedspread was ancient and didn't look clean. Although the bathroom in my room appeared to be new and had lovely finishes...I had to continuously hold a button in to shower which was a nightmare. Breakfast was a waste of money. Toast and jam and terrible coffee in the kebab shop downstairs.

The location to sites and transport is very good.

• Single Room with External Toilet

the breakfast was very small in choices and the same every morning. the pillow was only one kind - too high for me. the room was tilted!

the stuff is very nice and helpful! they make the stay in the hotel very pleasant!

Superbad, the room was dirty with a cigar smell and very noisy, you could almost hear everything from the other rooms. Disappointing breakfast. I don't recommend it at all.

Small, old and dirty. Do not recommend. The price is too much for this “hotel”, I stayed in better hostels and backpackers. The photos that are in booking are not real. The breakfast is ridiculus, just a toast with butter and cold coffee. I won’t come.

• Single Room with Internal Toilet

The room was badly equipped, shwer curtain fell down, cigarette burns on the fridge etc

The location is excellent. Place Rogier is a lot better than it used to be. All the rest is basic but what do you expect, I had my own bathroom and breakfast for 45 euro.

Staff could be more friendly. Hygiëne was terrible: 1.They probably didnt dust for a while. 2.Dirty sheets, looked like they werent washed. 3. Blanket had white stains (sperm?) 4.Cockroaches in my bed!

Location: It was in the middle of the city centre.

Firstly, the hotel is located just above a fast food. Secondly, when I tried to watch TV, an error message appear "Signal insuffisant" and the WiFi connexion does not work what prevents me to work. Finally, the property of the room is inadequate. I am very dissapointed!!!

Nothing! The room does not match with picture on the website

• Single Room with Internal Toilet

1. The shower room is just beside the toilet and the light is not enough. 2. Soundproofing is very bad!! I live the room which near the street and I can hear the car pass by whole night. Therefore, I cannot sleep. 3. The stair is too steep and I need to carry my luggage for three floors.

The location is good.

• Double Room with external toilet

This is an overpriced hotel. Even 1 night is too long to stay. I was there with a pregnant friend, the room we had was not “from these days” ! Heatings with rust that falls off, no wifi in the room (normally was provided) and the water in shower was barely warm! And thet with a pregnant woman at my side! Also a lot of spots on the walls with “mushrooms” ! Not done ! For that price i have a really luxury room in Lisbon!! ...for example...

• Single Room with External Toilet

I would not recommended even to an enemy. The bedroom had the shower next to the bed as if it were a prision (smth not shown in the pictures not the description), sticky floored, stained sheets, a shared dirty toilet (it had a pooo stain for 2 days straight), the shower has NO HOY WATER! I complained twice and the staff were not helpful, one told me it would call a tecnishian who never came and the other one just said the rest of the rooms had not complain ( what kind of answer is that?). In adittiom, when I arrived the window was broken, it did nos close (yeah, we are talking about winter brussels with an average of 1•C). The recepcionista kind of fixing, but there was a part where it still no close, but the guy said it was good enoght.

• Double Room with external toilet

Where do I start... service upon arrival was shocking, I was made to pay again to ‘secure the room’. The room was dirty, bodily fluids on the bedding and sheets.

Location was good

• Single Room with Internal Toilet

-the building has no ventilation system -smell of mold on the whole building, and much worse in the bathroom and bedroom -one employee said the price of the breakfast was €3, and the other one charged me €5 -I could hear noise all night, from the guests or the employees

• Single Room with Internal Toilet

Typical steep steps, had to duck to get around crossing staircases, nearly fell in to the service room. No soundproofing; getting to sleep at night could be a challenge.

A typical no-frills European hotel. Bed, TV and boudouir for your stuff.

• Single Room with Internal Toilet

1. room without table in order to work 2. inadequate sewage system in bathroom, so after a shower water couldn't be evacuated, so the all the water was on the floor. 3. the noise in the lobby during night time.

cleanliness

• Single Room with Internal Toilet

Could not of been more disappointed. The shower was broken the floor was disgustingly dirty and the sheets weren't clean. The smoke detector was missing and the tv didn't work. I would never go back here.

I have to check out after 3 hours because my room is not convenient. The light button is broken, after I press the toilet button 2 times, it's broken too. When I take a shower, ghe water doesnt flow away, it stays in the sink. The facilities are old, I think the hotel will be better with redecoration and fix or change some facilities

Great location. Really easy to find on the street

Layers of soap scum in the bathroom, rusty radiators, carry your heavy luggage up some tricky stairs probably designed for dwarves, smells of sewage, wifi sucks, one towel will do, cigarette burn on beddings. You will not be happy in this place I can assure you. It is bad.

Cheap and very central and spacious

• Single Room with Internal Toilet

The hotel does not deserve the name "royal". It should be MUCH BETTER NOTED that you are not actually paying for the hotel through Booking.com, but rather you are just paying for the RESERVATION at the hotel. When you get there you need to pay again (good luck if you have MasterCard because their terminal has been selective, at least to my card) which is not a pleasant surprise, at all. There was no heating in the room for both days I was there, and the temperature outside was 5 degrees Centigrade.

I liked talking to the staff working there. Albeit there wasn't much to talk about but they were friendly and approachable and open to a conversation. I'm guessing, if it wasn't for them, the hotel would have much lower score. Across the street there is a lovely Starbucks.

That place is not the cleanest, tv was not working, the sink was broken (they fix it when we told them tho), the smell in the bathroom was weird

The location was great, just across from the bus and metro station. Very cheap

worst, nightmare ,toilet door knob damaged, No power socket except TV, Washroom Tap totally damaged. They don't care because this survey means for nothing at all for them. Location is bless for them so they don't care. Breakfast worst ever saw in my life.

The place is very dirty, it's overpriced for what they offer, the bathroom was blocked and the beds are very uncomfortable.

The location is really good and the staff is very friendly.

• Single Room with Internal Toilet

Breakfast consisted of jam and white bread, and only served between 7 and 9. Room next to entrance, couldn’t sleep. Nowhere to put clothes or my coat in the room.

The women receptionist in this hotel was the worst we have experienced. We had problems paying with our cards so we could just pay in cash, she had no manners since the check in. Again was rude with us at check out trying to charge us more for a bed we didn't used at all. If looking for a smooth check in & check out don't go to this place.

Absolutely horrendous experience. Staff were very rude and the quality of the room was absolutely awful and disgusting from the room itself to the shower, photos are provided to aware anybody. My husband also got food poisoning from the place. I highly suggest anybody to save and go to any other hotel in the area. Definitely not worth the stay at all and affected my holiday experience. 0/10.

Absolutely nothing.

We have to be be very careful with the stairs. It might be dangerous for old folks. But overall it is good. I will recommend this hotel.

Very near to metro. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The space is okay for to person. I think its okay for young travellera like us.

The room and overall the hotel was NOTHING like expected nor was it as pictured in Booking.com. The room space was moderate and cannot complain, however the bathroom was horrible and incredibly small, contrary to the bathroom picture shown for the room booked. The toilet was literally attached to the shower and was so uncomfortable. There was a broken chair in the room. Everyhting looked really old and not like anybody was taking propper care of it. Towells were old and they never changed it during the 3 days stay. Overall the price was really cheap, however if we knew how bad it was (and that it was not at all as pictured) we would have defenitely gone to another hotel. In addition, the breakfast was awful too.

The bed was big enough and the temperature was nice.

• Double Room with external toilet

The room was not clean, bed clothes dirty. All the floor full of stain and dust. Narrow stairs and hard go up to your room with the luggage. The room’s pictures at booking app was not true, I attached the real ones.

Very good location.

• Double Room with external toilet

Dust everywhere. No Tv connection. Broken chair. Fridge had rust all over it. Fridge still had bottles containing liquid on the first day of our arrival. Dust all under the bed. Poor wifi. No security when handing keys through reception. Dirt on towels. bad smell of heater.

• Single Room with Internal Toilet

View on a main road and no double glazed windows in the room. It was incredibly loud all night. The bed (mattress and pillow) were awful. The guy next door was disturbed and talked to himself and shouted all night which was scary. I got up in the middle of the night to let the guy at the reception know buy he didn't seem to care much. There were available rooms yet he didn't want to offer me another room.

Nothing was particularly enjoyable

• Double Room with external toilet

- The stairs to the check-in desk are very narrow, so will be difficult for people with large luggage. - Water is cold in the morning and at night. - Twin beds are tiny and not very comfortable.

The location is rather good for public transport and touring the city in general, and the price is quite reasonable. The staffs were nice and helpful to us while we're there. Breakfast is simple but is nice for the price we paid.

• Single Room with External Toilet

There was no elivator and i was obliget to go up to the third floor with a havy luggage , the toilet was soooo cusi i wasn’t even able to have a sit properly with a disguasting smell , the building was not that much clean, there was nothing to eat in the breakfast , the building is soo old ...

Personnel serviable

• Quadruple Room

It was the only room available anywhere in Brussels on the night in question due to a Catalan independence protest the next day - and this for three male business travellers, hence this was our last resort. The room was cramped, with two double beds (rather than the suggested one double and two single beds), The wardrobe was in danger of falling down, there was only one thin towel each (for three of us), the sink plug in the bathroom didn't work properly, there was no lift (up two flights of stairs). The wiring was inadequate. Breakfast was in the kebab shop next door.

Browse Royal Hotel traveller photo gallery