Reviews of Hotel Saint Nicolas

Rue Marché aux Poulets 32, 1000 Brussels, Belgium

#107 of 215 hotels in Brussels

The shower area was really tiny and would have preferred to have iron facilities in my room.

Location is perfect, just around the corner to the Grand Place. Quiet, clean rooms. Recommend for solo travellers.

It doesn’t have a view.

The studio is very cozy. It’s a perfect size for a couple. It has a lot of cabinets to put clothes and storage for suitcases. The location is superb because it’s in the centre of the city.

• Double or Twin Room

A very nice, clean hotel, with a very professional, friendly staff. A buffet breakfast offers a good choice of food and beverages. The hotel is convieniently located (close to tourist attractions and public transportation system).

Friendly staff, girl st front desk is very nice and helpful with our questions. Great location, centric, close ti many restaurants, uber stops by the supermarket in front of the hotel. Spacious rooms and batheoom. Highly recomended!

Room could do with a good cleaning and renovation, mostly in the bathroom. But at first sight, it all looked clean.

Location is fantastic, next to a supermarket (good for breakfast take away), close to the metro and only a few min. walk from Great Place (Grote Markt). Upon arrival, they sent us to the building accross which held a few rooms, but it was the wrong room, they quickly solved it and we were put in the main building. The room was different from the picture but was fine. All and all, great location, reasonable price and friendly staff.

• Double or Twin Room

Rooms are tight, no air-conditioned. I am not sure how people do it during warmer months. My stay was around mid-May and the staff provided us with a fan.

The location is perfect, however getting there was a bit tricky as the streets around are all closed to cars and only pedestrians are allowed. Get off the train or uber and walk 2 blocks. Once you get out of the hotel, there is an amazing cafe almost in front of the hotel, you will also be about 4 blocks away from the Grand Place, so it's perfectly located.

The room was rather small. Also, the door was not very sound-proof, which meant that I could hear everyone walking in the corridor. Also, there was really no view from the room, and the windows were rather old.

Location is the best there is - in the very city centre and a 2-minute walk to the Grand Place. Also, staff and the hotel facilities were nice.

• Family Room

We were given a room in a building opposite the actual hotel and there were a lot of stairs for going up to the lift and then again for going up to the room. With baggage it made it extremely difficult. Also we were given small fans but they were absolutely useless in proving any ventilation at all.

Breakfast and friendly staff

• Double or Twin Room

We thought breakfast was overpriced compared to other what we have been paying. (15€). We just went next door to the carrefor for croissants, cheese, strawberries and fresh juice. Otherwise, nothing bad about this hotel!

Excellent location. About 500m from central train station. Close to the eateries of St Catherine.

• Family Room

In the morning too much light, very difficult to sleep in The shower was a bit leaky and the hair dryer didn't work properly, but that didn't bother us very much

everything, beautiful room, very comfortable, nice bathroom

• Studio

It’s very low level hotel, If you reserve a suite you are in next bullilding, not in the hotel! a apartment that in the other floors lives people no reseption, no phone to call... this is not a safe hotel, the don’t have house keeping to ask or want something just in the morning!!! It’s not clean and we paid 133$ for one night... actually it was a terrible experience in this hotel....

No air con so extremely hot in the room. There was mould on the towels plus throughout the shower/bath. We also asked for assistance with parking as we had a mini bus but we were not provided with help. Then at checkout a staff member said there was heaps of local parking and we should have been told that!!!!

Great location. Very basic rooms but sufficient.

The facilities are really bare minimum. I'd have loved to have a fridge.

Location of this place is prime. Amazingly close to all the main attractions of the city.

The hotel is in a great location near shopping, metro, and Starbucks!!! Staff is super friendly and helpful and the rooms more than spacious. Unlimited eating options, near ATM, and Saturday open market. Great place for the $$$. Highly recommend!!

• Studio

The street side rooms were quite noisy, because of the pub right outside the window and because of the garbage trucks that start work at 5 in the morning.

• Family Room

The entry door of our room was right in the fish restaurant and we had to walk up a narrow stair with the suitcases, before we could take the elevator. Also it is a 10 min walk from central station or from a parking lot. You Cannot park close by, no cars allowed on the street. None of this is a problem, you just need to be mindful of this, when you have children or too much luggage.

We liked the spacious room and the extra bedroom for the children. Kitchen facilities handy and a grocery shop across the street. in addition the location, a few minuteswalk from the grand place was wonderful for sight seeing in the centre of town. The receptionist was friendly and helpful. We highly recommend Hotel Nicolas .

• Double or Twin Room

I didn't have breakfast! Meet friends out! The hotel is awesome and fantastic location! In the heart of evedything! You walk out if the hotel are debating which way 2 go! I would recommend this hotel 500%

The photos of the room showed a bathtub but there was just a shower. It only had a small glass panel so water ended up all over the floor. The drain did not work well so if you took a long shower the water spilled over the edge flooding the floor. The window in the bathroom was broken and wouldn't close so it got really cold and the heater did not work. The walls are super thin, all the doors opening and closing in the hallway (they are loud) could be heard all night as well as the next room opening and closing their bathroom door and watching TV. The room next door was either watching TV or video chatting until 3am and it was very loud. I hardly slept the whole time I was there due to the interior noise.

Check in was quick and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Family Room

In the annex building windows are so thin that is like sleeping in the street , even at upper floors. You can’t sleep in the living room without ear protections (so children can’t really sleep there ) .

There are many public parkings very close

It is missing a small refrigerator and also an air conditioner..I mean I can't imagine staying there in summer

The location is a 10. Exactly In the heart of the centre of Brussels. The "manneken pis" at just 400m, la grande place at just few steps from the hotel and as a plus a small supermarket just in front of it.

• Double or Twin Room

The room was very noisy. People and kids were running and screaming in the corridor of rooms which is quite strange in a hotel. I woke up several times during the night by noise of people speaking loud and kids screaming. I travel a lot and never had experienced such a thing in a hotel. The staff were not very friendly. When I wanted to check in the lady in reception told me that I can come back in 1 hour to be sure that room is ready. When I cam back after 1 hour the room was not still ready and when I asked the lady at the reception she responded me in not a polite and friendly way that she can't do anything!! Another strange thing was a card I found in my room which I took a photo and put it here. It was saying that if a guest takes the equipment from the room she/he will be charged (which is right), but the way it was communciated was very impolite. Also the articles that were mentioned were like toilet paper 20 Euro!! I mean, I don't expect that many guests do this. I assume it would be very few in 1000 who would do that. And even if someone takes a toilet paper, it's really not nice that as a hotel you charge hime/her. I found this very unfriendly and somehow offending.

The location is very central and convinient

Room had some damage when I arrived. Broken chair, etc. Reported to reception. When housekeeping arrived to replace they simply entered the room with their key without knocking or announcing themselves.

Location is excellent! Value for money in this location will be hard to beat.

• Studio

* Family room is located in old building, so before elevator there is narrow steep stairs. * Family room windows are looking to street - great view, but at night there is noise from sport betting cantor. * Family room had some damaged equipment, it worked but looked not nice. * Studio room was small - like in description, would be great to have rooms like Studio (modern building, kitchen), but little bit larger - 30+ m2. * WiFi signal was good, but (free) internet channel was very slow, so we mostly used our LTE from phones.

* Great location in old city center. * In Studio there is great kitchen with cooker, in Family room there is also good kitchen but without cooker. Kitchen is very important for couple with small baby. * Studio is located in modern building with elevator. * Family room is large and has a great view. * Studio had no great view, but was very quite. * Very helpful personal - they helped us with free early checkin. * Free and comfortable baby cribs.

• Double or Twin Room

The shower was not working properly and even the TV. We called the reception couple of times and they did send the handyman to fix it. The guy use to fix it and after he left it would stop working.

• Family Room

I suggest you’d better not book “family room” even it looks quite good from the website because it’s not at the hotel but an apartment opposite. You have to cross the road and what’s more, carry the luggage without elevator for one floor. so it’s not that convenient.

Location is quite good that restaurant and supermarket is just downstairs

• Studio

Amazing staff. Really friendly. At the check on they gave us map with the directions to the main attractions and also explained how to get there!!! We got a studio which was just perfect, really cozy and cute. And the localization it is amazing right on the center!!!! We love it everything about this hotel including the price that is fair!!! Amazing book it is worthy!!!!

• Studio

Pubs in front of the property caused some noise at night

The location was superb! Short walk from the centraal station and bruxelles midi. Supermarket is right down beside the building. As for tourist attraction everything is within the vicinity

• Double or Twin Room

At first we got a room in the hotel's annex (another building without reception), but we asked a room in the hotel and they found a solution. The window is very high and it can't be opened/closed withoud some climbing. The room is very small, no hall, the door is very close to the bed. When it's windy, the door keeps banging against the wall because it's not closing well.

The room was clean and tidy. It was also cleanead during our stay, towels were changed if needed. The hotel is right in the center, near restaurants,metro station,train station and supermarkets.

• Double or Twin Room

Very hot in the rooms but I know this was due to the unusual heat in the city. So this was unavoidable. And they put water in the room, not sure if that is always or just because of the heat. When I arrived a 1pm and asked to leave my bags in the luggage room and 2 of my friends who were not guests of the hotel bit were leaving Brussels later that day, the receptionist was a bit rude. I could have just said they were all my bags, I don't think there is a rule how many bags you store. Is there? The one negative I would say about my room was , I couldn't physically see out my window and I'm 5'11 even standing on the window sill but I could live with it. But I have to say over all worth every cent paid. All other staff amazing!!!!

Location amazing, the guy who checked me in was very nice in the evening. The night Porter also very nice. The room was very clean, it was a nice touch the free water and chocolate. Bed very comfortable linen fantastic and towels. I love the price list in the room and think it's so funny but perfect for anyone that takes things from hotel's. While checking out and leaving there was 4 staff at reception and they were all friendly and attentive even the lady about the luggage room. I would definitely stay again!

• Double or Twin Room

The shower was pathetic, very low pressure & would suddenly go cold then boiling hot. Made for scary showering. The reception staff didn’t acknowledge you once arriving / a nice cheery smile or hullo would be nice.

Position of hotel superb, close to Grandplace & centre of action & eating.

The gentleman who we first meet was not really helpful and not a good listener. The room that we got was a malfunctioning room with bad small toilet. The big window which equally to door size that connected to the rooftop cannot be locked properly so we asked to change the room but the staff at the reception desk was reacted badly and look down on us when we walked pass the reception area. the picture of the room that shown on the internet was extremely different from that actual room. It was nothing that we happy with actually.

Nothing really

• Double or Twin Room

No hangers in the room, beside some small thingies on the doors. One morning only very hot water in shower.

The staff very friendly and supportive. Clean rooms and hotel it is at perfect location.

• Studio

The studios are in a separate building, with an independent cleaning service, room and hallway were a bit grubby. The heating in our room was a problem, it was stuck on high and we needed to pull the circuit breakers to shut it off, which also killed the main lighting in the room.

The staff were very helpful. The location was very central. The double bed was comfortable but small.

• Double or Twin Room

The location is great - right in the city center. But in general, it is a pretty ordinary hotel, everything is fine, no emotions. Acceptable option if you need a hotel just for a place to get some sleep between your long walks around the city :)

• Double or Twin Room

The hotel is in the heart of city center so it’s quite noisy during night till midnight.

Excellent location right in the middle of everything. Great staff service. Next to Tesco supermarket. 2-3 minutes walk to the square and many restaurants.

I can't think of anything I didn't like, I would say that the street the hotel is on is quite busy, at nighttime there are a lot of people hanging around, often drunk, even at 4am when I was walking to the train station it was still very busy. However this is nothing to do with the hotel. The hotel is perfectly secure.

The staff were really friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a great location, two minutes walk from the main square. I saw some reviews complaining about the size of the room and it's facilities, I found everything to be fine, my room was a single room and had a lot of space.

• Studio

I know the hotel can’t help that, but the constructions going on around the hotel is making to reach to a carpark very painful.

Hospitality of the staff, location of the hotel

• Family Room

The location is close to the casinos/betcenter.

The location is close to Brussels CS and many shops & supermarket. The room is spacious, equipped with kitchenware ( you can do simple cooking with microwave oven and the toaster). There is a good fish&chip downstair. Reception opens 24/7. The staff are very helpful.

• Family Room

They give me room in another building opposite to the actual hotel. Entrance is very difficult for family because you have to go within the pub under the building. With young children it is not nice and safe. Also sofa bed is very poor quality. There is no phone charger socket in hotel.

Location was great. It is near to all major activities. Walking distance to Great Place and other monuments.

• Double or Twin Room

The room was small and had no personality, but there was a note that they were not planning to remodel so hopefully the appearance will improve. The hotel is right across from a disco and since we stayed at the hotel on Friday and Saturday nights sleeping was difficult. The people at the disco were outside singing and carrying on until at least 2:30 in the morning.

The staff was friendly and helpful. They provided a map and instructions and advice for our trip. The room was small and had no personality, but there was a note that they were not planning to remodel so hopefully the appearance will improve.

Breakfast is quite expensive at €15pp. There are loads of lovely little places around the hotel, so I'd recommend going to any of those for breakfast.

Excellent location, staff is friendly, welcoming and helpful. Facilities great. We had a great stay.

The main door is not easy to find. It should have more striking signs.

Very good location. The Chinese staff is really nice and helpful. It makes me feel kind and convenient. So that I will recommend to my family and friends to book this hotel. And I also will book again next time.

The water system needs improvement. The water was sometimes getting either really hot or cold. In the morning the water pressure was so low that I couldn't take a shower. The staff was trying the best to solve the problem. But I guess it should be fundamentally addressed. One other small issue: there is no closet in the room.

All staff members were amazingly friendly and very helpful. The location of the hotel is great, right in the city center. And the rooms are clean and comfortable.

• Double or Twin Room

We loved our stay at Hotel Saint Nicolas. It has charm and style and the staff is incredibly nice. Breakfast was good - lots of options. We loved our room, it had lots of personality. The location is also great, it's around the corner from Grand Place!

• Studio

Our first night we had a room facing the street and it was incredibly noisy. We also stayed in the studio, which is a separate building from the hotel and had a homeless person sleeping in the entry when we came home at night.

Location is great, you're in the heart of everything and right across from 2 amazing restaurants. The staff switched our room after telling them about the noise, so our second night was much better.

• Studio

Our travel was an awesome experience. The hotel was amazing, literally 3min walking from the Grand Palace. I was positively impressed by the staff of the hotel - so kind, friendly and helpful. The studio which I had booked was very spacious and clean. I highly recommend Saint Nicolas Hotel!

The room smelled like a sewer and the staff acknowledged that it was a known issue. They couldn't move me to another room because the hotel was fully booked. The room was poorly lit and just about big enough to fit a double bed to the double bed headboard but there was a small single- not double room single occupancy. The light didn't improve during the day because the windows face right opposite other windows within a few meters and drawing the curtains open compromised privacy beyond tolerant. This was also the case for bathroom which had an almost floor to ceiling window to ensure full vision of anyone using the facilities and forgetting to roll down the blind. Luckily I only had to do my make up under the bathroom lighting. I can only pity anyone trying to shave under that lighting! One of the pillows in my bedroom was far from acceptable and felt more like a bag of chickpeas than a pillow. It was exchanged for a slightly better one still not up to standards for a hotel of this category. This hotel is near all touristic attractions and opposite what seems like a very popular bar opened at all times and flooding the street with its customers. I could not hear the noise because I was facing the back of the building but I doubt any double glazing can mitigate the volume of the constant noise. Navigating my way through the mass on inebriated teenagers to reach the hotel entrance felt intimidating even for a well travelled city person. I reckon the hotel cannot do much about this but customers have the right to know when they're booking.

The staff could not be better and they do not deserve working for a hotel with such low standards. They were most attentive and did as much as they could to help.

• Double or Twin Room

Room stunk of smoke. No water, tea or coffee in the room. Water in shower was not consistent- went from boiling hot to freezing cold without moving the tap.

Wifi staff at reception very nice.

• Double or Twin Room

The breakfast is too expensive for what it offers. You can do better by spending the same money in the cafe near the hotel.

The room was really clear and comfy, the position is perfect if you want to stay 1 minute walking from the main square. In less than 50m there are supermarkets, restaurant, fast-food, cafe and more.

• Double or Twin Room

Cold and no heating in the bathroom. Facilities are dirty and old. Cold air coming from old windows. Cleaning not so great.

Nothing. Just the location.

• Double or Twin Room

It was the first time I stayed in a single room rather than the studio in that place. It was extremely cold and there was no central heating system to turn on. However, my stay was good.

I love this hotel, I think especially the studio rooms are one of the best in Brussels.

• Double or Twin Room

Information on breakfast was not correct. Hotel charged us for 4 days, although some of us did not have breakfast. I paid in cash to hotel for my breakfast for one day, but hotel charged me all day

Good locaion

I was really disappointed: noisy, lack of elevator, smelly from the local below... I felt cheated and I will never be back or recommend it.

It lacked telephone to communicate with reception and elevator. The stairs were very step. The worst part: my room was 472, in a separate building across the street. I felt cheated, since it was a very noisy place and I had to cross the street to have breakfast or talk to reception. It is a shame they are able to offer a room like this.

• Double or Twin Room

We found it hard to find as we walked passed it numerous of times it wasn’t very well signed. It has the name of it on the glass door.

Location was excellent, it was right in the city centre. Staff were lovely and helpful.

• Studio

The hotel was different from what I've saw on the Internet, only the picture of the overall building matched. The place was dirty and had an awful smell. They did not changed the bedsheets after the last guests. It was also dust in the room, dirty floors and horrible toilet...

I was not able to find anything good related to this hotel. Not even the location as it were many homeless people there...

• Double or Twin Room

Rooms are terrible, nothing you saw in the photos. Room was so small only a bed could fit. No wardrobes. There was something in the corner that looked like a wardrobe without lids and and even without side walls. Hotel was extremely noisy. No isolation. Room was cold but there was no central air conditioning. There was an electrical heater in the bath which doesn't work. So yeah it was cold. It would be wiser to go to a hostel...

Location is good

Found a lot of hairs on the pillow and bedcover. The elevators worked decently but are very outdated, a lot of weird noises. I had to wake up early the next morning to go to work but unfortunately some Spanish guests found it ok to be yelling at the hallway with no shame whatsoever and this until 2 am at least. In general, the price is a bit too high for a 3* in such condition, even if it’s perfectly situated.

Perfect central location nearby a subway station, la grande place, the central station and the Ancienne Belgique. Plenty of food and grocery accommodations only a few steps away ( carrefour and delhaize). The staff is very friendly and welcoming. Check in and out went fluently. Received even a Neuhaus chocolate at arrival. The size of a 1person room is decent.

• Double or Twin Room

None,everything was perfect,maybe the pillows need change.

Excellent service,very fast wifi,refurnished with local touch,hot water and heating all day.

There is nothing that we disliked during our stay

Just step outside the hotel and you are in the perfect location to visit the city. We found the room very spacious and it was nice to have both bath and shower. Breakfast was unexpectedly good.

The hotel looks like it has been an old department store and our room was functional rather than plush. The bathroom was cold. My wife noticed blood stains on the sheet as she was getting into bed the first night and this sheet remained for the duration of our stay, obviously missed or ignored by the contract cleaners. There was a menu in the room advising you how much you would be charged for stealing various items in the room -I guess they must get a lot of thieves as guests.

The price paid.

• Double or Twin Room

Window very higb and i cannot see anything in room. I can do only wachong tv

Staff at lobby is the best staff i ever seen She not sleep all night but still smile and friendly(another staff sick)

• Studio

The fact that no one helps you with the luggage and no other staff to help you. The property is manned by only one person which is ridiculous.

• Family Room

The receptionist needs to start to greet the guest when they come in or out instead of busy talking to her colleague. Greet the customers and smile to them would be nice. You can hear the sounds from the outside so clearly.

The hotel is in good location. Public parking not too far. Kitchen has microwave, refrigerator and other things you might need. The bathroom is clean and has good size.

• Studio

noise! so much noise! at night you do not sleep at all cause of the pubs in front of the structure and people screaming until 5am. That's a pedestrian zone so noise at night, noise by day and at 6 am several vans stopped for deliveries to restaurants / bars . uncomfortable room and pillows, not clean. the worst experience ever.

posizione

• Double or Twin Room

Room door is not auto lock. Also bath room door didn’t work smoothly.

Location is really good for sightseeing, shopping, finding good restaurants and so on. Also the lady staff at the reception was so nice, friendly and helpful!

• Double or Twin Room

Excellent location, a few steps from Grand Place. Staff was really helpful - they gave us a lot of tips about the city and they kindly printed a document that we needed. They also gave us an upgrade to a beautiful studio just beside the hotel.

• Double or Twin Room

Room and place in general very old fashioned, pictures gave me different impression so this was not how I expected it to look.

Location is perfect, staff really nice. Bed was comfy, only it took the most of the bedroom, it is very small.

• Double or Twin Room

The bathroom window was old and broken. It was no possibile to close this window properly, so the bathroom was frozen all the time! Also, in the bathroom there wasn't any heat, just a small and inadequate electric fire. Really annoying :(

Perfect position, friendly staff. The room is clean and the bathroom is new and spacious. The breakfast is also good.

• Double or Twin Room

I got a room in a building which is opposite the reception which is not a problem. However, the stairs in the building are extremely steep and narrow. TV in the room was not connected. It looks as if the hotel is expanding and needs to finalize the details of this part of the hotel.

Location. Staff very friendly.

• Studio

The comfort of the bed. A carpet way against noisy corridors.

Coming from the downtown Streets, the place is well located and it was a pleasure to find a quiet and clean room, if you except the entrance hall of the building, not so clean than the others part. The only bad thing was the coldness of the room due to a small part of the Windows not closed, but after it was ok. We could name a such place like a hiding jewel.

• Double or Twin Room

Modern shower but no bathtub. Rooms are opposite the check-in, across the pedestrian street. but it is not a problem, really.

The outstanding central location. Special 'genius' attentions: praline at check-in, a 4 pers. flat on 4th floor (with lift) instead of standard double room: 1 bedroom w/ dble-bed connecting w/ main room incl. 2 single beds, table w/ 4 chairs. Flat TV. Small bathroom between both bedrooms. 24/24 7/7 check-in with friendly staff.

• Double or Twin Room

Staff were brilliant, very friendly and full of fun, especially those who worked the late shift. always updating the decor. Never stand still but keep on improving the hotel. Well done, as always. See you again soon

Great Hotel. The staff is always kind and helpful. Location is near Grand Place, Maneken Pis, Central Station and also subway. Breakfast is rich and rooms are clean.

• Studio

After few days of stay you could see dust on the floor (I've decided that room wasn't vacuumed every day). Breakfast was the same for five days, sometimes just a bit warm and not big variety.

Great location and helpfull, friendly personal. Studio type apartamens spacious and with main chicken hardware. Good and economic place for longer stay.

• Double or Twin Room

Very difficult to find as there saw no logo, sign outside except for the name on the glass door.

Saint Nicolas is an excellent choice due to its great location, very nice and professional staff. The rooms are tiny, but clean and we asked for a room with a view so we got a room that faced the street. Very quiet even though in a busy street. We really, really enjoyed it.

Browse Hotel Saint Nicolas traveller photo gallery