Reviews of Hotel Serge

4.9

5.9

6.1

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

It was inexpensive and I slept well for three out of the...

Lift out of action for one night. My room was up five flights. No toilet paper for one day.

It was inexpensive and I slept well for three out of the four nights. The night I did not sleep well was due to noisy people coming into the room next door seemingly throughout the night.

Horrortrip!!

It was the most terrible stay in a hotel ever. Dark, dirty rooms. Strange and unfriendly employees and the worst of all: violent hotel'guests' who crashed roomdoors, beat screaming women and made the police come. Horror!!! We were extremely scared and left the hotel one night before we were supposed to leave. Never ever again!!

Awful.

Nothing. It was terrible. Rude staff, lying on their website including booking.com. There is no parking facilities as stated. We had to park our car on a random street a mile down the road.

Pay more and find some where else !
    • Family Room

No place to park your car . The staff are not professional, they charged me 20 Euro Extra but the made a refund in the check out. The room smell like smoke . The bed mattress and the pillows are not good

It was near from the beach

Big, sunny, confortable room with tv.

No communication between staff and guests. Hard to have a checkin and a checkout live before 8 am and after 6 pm. Few controls during night.

Big, sunny, confortable room with tv. Bathtub. Strategic position in center of Oostende. Easy to park. Very clean and comfortable beds.

Credit card Fraud
    • Family Room

The Hotel Management after having been paid on the day of my stay, charged me a 2nd time the amount...after having replied to my call that it was a simple mistake and a prompt reimbursement would follow, they disconnected the line and reaching out is no longer possible. This is a serious fraud and should be denounced to police, do not leave your credit card details to this hotel they are not honest people

It was cheap

The bed was broken, as well as the door handle and there was no pillow in the room. The receptionist just locked the reception after 8 pm and was not very helpful.

It was cheap

We visited Hotel Serge at the beginning of March. No heating, no hot water. Room temperature was 12 degrees celcius. Common areas were not cleaned. Entrance to staircase was blocked witch trolley of linnen and towels.

Hotel Serge the alternative to homlessnes

Everything frome the rooms not being cleaned on a regural basis to filthy dishes and cutlery.It is the worst hotel in Oostende as ppl tould me.

It was a dump,dirty and disqusting.

No one even present to hand over and take back keys, no one answered the phone, very poor service!

When we arrived no one was present at the Hotel. We were promised Internet and were dependent on this for work. The Internet was not available and the staff not at the reception (the room was closed!). We were lucky that the cleaning lady was there. Also when giving back the keys, the Police had to come as we as well as another person had no way to give back the keys (again, the reception was closed and no one there, nor anyone answered the phone). Luckily the cleaning lady was helpful. If it hadn't been for her, we wouldn't have even been able to enter our room.

waste of money

dirty toilet, broken shower, the sink was so clogged that was impossible to use, really cold room (heating system working in the bathroom only), absolute zero noise isolation, the next room's door was close and you could feel like if the neighbors were inside of your room.

Warning! Hotel staff missing during Check in hours. Service was beyond terrible. Room was okay

The hotel staff were not present during the mentioned check-in time. I had to wait 2 hours in extreme cold for the guy to come. Once he arrived, I said I had been waiting for 2 hours and his reply was just "so what?" Absolutely horrendous service.

disaster

the room as soon as you walked in it smelt of damp and mould the door handles fell of we would not use the shower so we only had a wash curtains fell down and the room was just dirty and dingy will never stay there again and will tell friends to avoid it

the only good thing i can say about our room is that the bed was comfy and clean

Di-sas-ter

At 11 pm the hotel was closed so I couldn't get in. Nobody answered the phone. In the bathroom, there is a huge awful green mildew. I was afraid of touching anything there. Ugh.

Very disappointing!
    • Family Room with Private Bathroom

It was very badly maintained. Mold in the bathroom. Dusty and smelled like sigaret and dog. Booked for 7 got a room with a queen size bed, a bunk bed and a single bed. So space for 5 but charged for the full 7.

The location and that was about it. Exterior and interior are badly neglected. Even the elevator was not working well.

No one home, so i just lost 210€... not even gotten a, refund. Worst birthday of my life...

We couldnt reach anyone, no check in, no service. Worst experience in my life... I never want this to happen again and i sincerly hope they go out of bussiness... Very dissepointed in booking.com's quality guarantie.

I liked that i did'nt have to stay there after all.

not to recommend

After having arrived in the morning by 11.00 h we entered double room with the luggage of my daughter and mine. Depart!ng by leaving the key at the reception desk we informed us on the opening procedure and were advised that there will always be somebody at thg reception desk for picking up the key. We came back b 18.00 h and found the entrance door locked and a piece of paper indicating a GSM-number to call for help. We called the mentioned number several times but with any success. In the meantime there were +/- 10 persons waiting at the front door of the hotel. Finally we decided to call the police who passed by for at least picking up the keys from Inside the hotel.- Other guestds informed us that there was no hot, but only cold water in the bahroom. Therefore I decided to get our luggage and left the hotel without having had the possibility to talk to hotel staff who did not appear at all. I will therefore efuse to pay any hotel charge of Euro 190.-- for one night only.

I didn't like nothing about it.
    • Family Room

I didn't like nothing about it. It was a nightmare. Really hard to find the entrance. The room wasn't clean, so much dust everywhere and my body started to be itchy once i got in. More than that there isn't a reception to wait to check in so i and my kids and luggage had to wait outside in the street till the guy comes in to check us in. That was ridiculous and a complete mess for us.

Don't stay here if you want to have a nice holiday

Check in is only until 15.00, while on booking it states 18.00, a lot of people were staying in front of the door without anyone in the reception. When we arrived to the breakfast 20 min before then edn - nothing was left except coffee from yesterday and rotten fruits (no bread, only few pieces of cheese and ham). Staff was not friendly and helpful. We agreed that the Hotel will contact us and make us a discount, however we were never contacted and the money were taken from my account (full amount). Nothing good about this place except location and the fact that they are pet friendly.

Location and pet friendly

no reception and after 10 calls ontheir mobilephone they...

no reception and after 10 calls ontheir mobilephone they even didnt bother ringingus back or mailing us about the fact that they werenot to reach and let us in. very unrespectfull

No remote control for the TV, wifi didn't work in my...

No remote control for the TV, wifi didn't work in my room, shower at another floor (without soap!). Thin walls, I could hear the neighbours quarelling. We were forced to get out to the street in the middle of the night because of a fire alarm (that was bad luck, I suppose).

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Clean room, great location

The staff smoke inside so if you are in the lobby you share the smoke, they are also not very friendly. Reception closes at 18h.

Clean room, great location

A good place for its price

There is no good sound isolation, that is why if some of your neighbors are noisy and restless - you may find this uncomfortable.

Based on the feedbacks we found here we were ready to the worse conditions rather than found out in fact. The location is really good - close to all places that worth visit in Ostende plus 3 minutes walk to the sea! The check-in/checkout procedures are very fast, which is good. A NOTE to all travelers - check in hours are before 3pm, however here, on the hotel page it states that till 6pm. I am not sure if there will be anyone who could check in you at that time. The room was good, clean and cozy. I had a really proper rest at night! Bed is very comfortable! It is cold in the room indeed, but there is an electric heater you can use in case of need. So that could help you. There is a small cafe in a lobby you can use for breakfasts, we saw a lot of people there, so I guess it is worth it.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Affordable stay in good location

Check in time was not as advertised when booking, but luckily there was somebody to check me in at 8pm. He informed me that check in is actually only until 3pm. At booking.com site description says check in until 8pm. (I didn´t have to pay extra for late check in.)

Good location and very affordable price. Room was very spacy.

The hotel building is very old and there are some repair...
    • Family Room

The hotel building is very old and there are some repair construction to be done! The worst part was to sleep without HEATER one of the coldest night of 2016!!

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

Absolutely terrible service with no heating in a very cold night
    • Family Room

Everything else. Electric wires hanging from light fixture on ceiling. TV electric wires exposed. Wall wooden side panel coming off the wall with electric socket. Draft coming in from windows. No heating at all in a very cold night (-2 degrees celsius). Toilet seat broken. No manned reception even for emergencies. They will not pick up the phone

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

The Staff and the Location is very good.

The toilet flush wasn't powerful enough and we can't close the door of the toilet. So we decided to check out after the first night. We don't wanna go anywhere else to the toilet.

The Staff and the Location is very good. The rooms are clean but the facilities are very cheap (doors, toilet, shower).

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Single room, no ensuite

Lack of showers, only on the ground floor. I needed a torch to climb the stairs. I had to phone to check in, as there were no receptionists.

The hotel has single rooms. Bed comfortable, linen clean. Location close to the city centre.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Near to the dountown and the beach.
    • Family Room

No cleaning, water en breakfast.

Near to the dountown and the beach.

very basic would not use again

no shower,toilet outside room and shared,mattress to soft,lift did not work in the evening ,no key deposit box

Clean room,and bedding

Cheap place to rest your head

The mattress was lumpy, it was fold down bed..the only bed in the room.

Friendly staff. Location

Booking.

Booking.com reservation did't come trough to the hotel so we didn't had a room.

Ok, for a Over Night stay..!

Sharing Toilet ..!

Value for money

not good wont be going again

décor, no bathroom soaps, bedroom balcony door faulty not clean

comfy bed that's all

i liked the simplicity and kidness

i liked the simplicity and kidness

nice breakfast,nice beds,and good value

Parking difficult,steep stairs,nowhere to go

nice breakfast,nice beds,and good value

Nice Price, nice room, nice location, good central heating, warm shower

I liked the elevator, I liked the warm and soft bed, I liked the location very close to tram and bus, I liked the hot shower,

A disaster

A disaster

Cost-effectiveness

Only 1 shower booth for the whole hotel

Cost-effectiveness

i was not expecting much of the hotel and they lived up to expectation

food

nice walks by the sea. very quiet town.

Friendly owner.

Shower

Friendly owner...I did not pay extra for arriving later than 18hr.

Pleasant

Little shabby

It is good property if you want to save money and stay for few days.

The bathroom and shower were shared and very old.

The bed was comfortable.

Good locations and that's it.

Lift kept breaking down, powerplugs out of the wall, very old bathroom, no toilet paper,...

very convenient location and the normal price

the room did not have soap

very convenient location and the normal price

Inconveniently without shower

The "bathroom" is not a "bathroom" only WC you can't take a shower

Near the beach and the train station.

Small but cosy room, comfortable bed.

Soundproofing is bad. It might be hard to sleep especially when the neighbours are noisy.

Small but cosy room, comfortable bed.

Very poor stay.

Not clean.Staff not on site most of the day and night.Very poor service.Not recommended.

Location only

Very close to the tram, and to the beach.

The room is a little bit dark.

Very close to the tram, and to the beach. Good price.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

The room is cozy.

Responsible in desk of reception absent in the check in.

The room is cozy.

everything

everything

You pay a lot just for a bed and a unconfortable common shower

It had common shower and only on the first floor

It had a bed

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Seriously, go anywhere else.

Nothing in this hotel was ok. Also the staff was rude. Spend some more money and sleep good.

The situation.

CENTRAL AND GREAT VALUE!

For what I paid, everything was fine.

Fantastic location and great value for money!

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Ver good located. Staff very friendly. I recomend:)

Staff was very friendly.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

There was no toiletries in the bath

There was no toiletries in the bath

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

Ideal stop over hotel

steep narrow stairs

fantastic breakfast, excellent value for money

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

staying in your city of birth isn't always nice

no heating no one at the front desk when leaving no comfort at all

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

Bed and room quite large for a small fee.

Please fix the heat !!

Bed and room quite large for a small fee.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

Very friendly and helpful

Very friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

COLD

Room was cold. Bathroom could be cleaner. No wifi.

Simplicity.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Breakfast was nice

Only one shower, but no need to queue.

Breakfast was nice

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

Place to rest your head, nothing more.

Dirty, rundown, no complimentary anything, bad pillows, very poor wifi

Reception friendly, TV in room.

• Reviewed: 19 November 2016

Room was cosy

no internet in the room

Room was cosy

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

not reterning
    • Family Room

booked it but no breakfast had to leave without

front room

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

The smell from stairs

The smell from stairs

• Reviewed: 23 May 2016

The sink was leaking in the bathroom, it was really cold in...

The sink was leaking in the bathroom, it was really cold in the room and the heating did not work, we asked the staff to turn it up, but they didn't. Also, the window couldn't be closed properly.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2016

Value for money and en suite, bit shabby but what the hell.

I estimated my arrival time but was late and the staff informed me that I was lucky that he was still there. One can only estimate so what was the alternative?

Value for money and en suite, bit shabby but what the hell.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2016

I booked and entered my card details and when i checked out...

I booked and entered my card details and when i checked out was given a bill and paid in full. TOO my surprise this site has also charged my card so have paid twice ??? surly this is fraud ??

• Reviewed: 28 February 2016

the beds where very comfortable the manager went out of his...

the beds where very comfortable the manager went out of his way to make sure we had a very good night i would highly recommend this small hotel also nice and quiet

• Reviewed: 29 November 2015

The only thing that was decent is breakfast.

You cannot find the receptionist. He is there only for a few hoursmduring breakfast. There was never toilet paper in the toilet room (for a whole week). I thought that there would be a shower in my room (this is what I understood when i was reading the facilities provided).. Really really nasty shower (one for 15 rooms and it was never cleaned). It is supposed that you have wifi in your room but it never worked. Most of the heaters do not work. There is no lamp over the sink. There was just one plug in my room. The room was never cleaned. Dirty laundry were spread all over for the ehole week outside our doors. The bed is really small.

The only thing that was decent is breakfast.

• Reviewed: 29 November 2015

That as an adaptable human we are I survived the whole week!

Mostly everything: - A single shower was used for many rooms... and that would be OK if the shower would be cleaned - which I hardly believe it happened any day of the week I was there. Besides, the water blocked and most of the times the shower had already dirty water in it. - A single toilet... without toilet paper for more than two days - The corridor had on the floor the dirty sheets and towels from previous guests... and they were there for the whole week. - I was awaken before 8'30 am by a construction man that was fixing something next door. I wonder, if they couldn't wait till 10, or after checkout time. - The floor of the rooms was not clean when I arrived, nor when I left. - Notice that there's an approximately 10€ extra charge for city taxes

That as an adaptable human we are I survived the whole week!

• Reviewed: 8 November 2015

Nobody at the reception at 5:00pm to checkin.

Nobody at the reception at 5:00pm to checkin. Nobody at the reception at 6:45am to checkout No shower found Free wifi without the password is worthless offcourse...

• Reviewed: 30 October 2015

nice very small room, the location - very close to the beach...

reception closes at avour 7PM, if you come later, you won't check in and the help desk does not pick the phone up. Make sure you ask for wifi code, later noone is there, you have only kees and noone to ask anything. They promiss free parking close by, but it is actually more then 1km away and paid puplic parking in the area of hotel is very hard to find and not cheap.

nice very small room, the location - very close to the beach, bathroom at the hall was OK, breakfast OK too.

• Reviewed: 10 October 2015

LOCATION/BEDROOM VERY LARGE AND SPACIOUS

NO HOT WATER EARLY AM AND THE PARKING OPTION QUOTED AS FREE ARE OUTSIDE OF THE CITY AND YOU HAVE TO USE A 1 EURO BUS EACH IF YOU DECIDE TO USE THIS PARKING.NO STAFF ON ARRIVAL 3.30 PM HAD TO PHONE TO GET SAFE CODE FOR ROOM KEY.SMALL SIGN ON FRONT DOOR INFORMING THIS.

LOCATION/BEDROOM VERY LARGE AND SPACIOUS

There are also 30 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Hotel Serge traveller photo gallery