Reviews of Silva Hotel Spa-Balmoral 4 stars

Route de Balmoral 33, 4900 Spa, Belgium

#13 of 15 hotels in Spa

• Reviewed: 5 October 2018

Hotel staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful.
    • Lake side Executive room

We arrived mid afternoon and the hotel had a bar menu which you could not order off as it was after 2.30pm, for a hotel not to be able to offer some form of bar food/snacks throughout the day is not a good service. Also, the choice of dinner menu that night was very disappointing. We went into SPA and had a fabulous meal. The breakfast wasn't that great either, the eggs were uncooked, and most of the buffet was depleted and not replenished, but the pastries and coffee were good.

Hotel staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and comfy - old fashioned could do with a make over Room rate was good and the hotel was only 6 mins from the center of SPA and the Thermes. Taxi from hotel to center was Eur10. - great selection of restaurants in the center.

croissant and nothing else !
    • Comfort Double Room

horrible service ... trainees from Romania so a kind of disgusting way to have slaves working for nothing. Trainees means they know nothing about service though they are eager to learn .... but I didn't come to teach them how to present a bottle of wine, how to make a cocktail .. example : I bought a small bottle of wine ... it came in a carafe like a "table wine" just because they didn't have any bottle left .... not to mention the food .... HORRIBLE !! on my first dish .. salsa was missing , salad leaves were older than my grandma and the main course was uneatable ... overcooked fish with boiled vegetables and nothing on it not even salt ... dido for the pasta ... directly from the boiling water into the plate ... nothing on it not even olive oil or salt or butter ..... NOTHING ...... I was so pissed off That I refused to pay the meal !! The room is well just ok but sart looking a bit old ... TV set is too small and bad quality of image, minibar empty except for water ... I stayed in an executive lake view room except there is no lake but the view on the country is nice. I had to wait for the check out because the receptionist is also the bartender ...... and at the bar .... 8€ for a Bloody Mary .... in a CHAMPAIGN GLASS ...... I asked for a small portion of cheese cubes to accompany my cocktail but I was answered that the kitchen was ... closed .... if it takes a cook to cut some cheese in cubes ...... in a country that has it as an habit in a simple pub ....

croissant and nothing else !

Great hotel with beautifull view
    • Comfort Double Room

Room is great and spacious, only minor inconvenience is that the toiletpaper holder is located 25 cm from the floor and that might be a problem for some people. The bathroom is modern, has a large window and no doors so anybody in the room has a great view on whi is taking a shower. So it lacks a bit of privacy. Breakfast: missed espresso abd the displays are a bit low, to grab food you beed to reach low to bypass the glass cover.

Large modern room with a large balcony and fantastic view. Breakfast was good with many things to choose from. Nice breakfast room or eat on the terrace. Parking is perfect just in front of the hotel. On the top floor there is a nice terrace.

Great view from the room (lake view) and good breakfast.
    • Lake side Executive room

The space in the room was not used in an optimal way p.e. by putting furniture in the way to the balcony door. When moving a sofa, we discovered pills and other stuff on the ground (not clean!). At breakfast, several men came into the restaurant with nude torso. None of the staff made them clear that this is disrespectful to the others guests and therefor unacceptable. The staff cleared your plate without asking if you had finished. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL AND NOT ATTENTIVE TO ONE'S NEEDS Breakfast buffet was put on display inefficiently, so a lot of chaos.

Great view from the room (lake view) and good breakfast.

• Comfort Twin Room

Breakfast was ok if you arrived at 7am but any time after 8 is was looking rather tired, food in the restaurant was average and the bar when staffed closed early, 10.30 on the last night of our stay even though we had been told earlier that it would be open until 11pm. Some of the staff were polite and helpful but not all :((( At over £100 per night for a single person it was not at all good value.

Room was ok, wifi was good

The room we booked – garden view suite – was satisfactory,...
    • Lake side Executive room

What I was missing was a water kettle in the room. For us this was important because we were traveling with our 9 month old daughter and we wanted to be able to have hot water for her formula milk for example – and a baby doesn’t have regular feeding time. When she wakes up a 4 o’clock in the night, then I can’t wait for the receptionist to bring me some hot water with a crying baby, unless we let the whole floor wake up, as we were proposed to do. On top, even lower quality hotels offer their guest complimentary instant coffee and tea in the rooms which was missing from the room – especially when you charge 7.5 euros room service. This means that if I want to have a cup of tea in the balcony, I would have to pay c. 10 euros. I’m sorry, but this is a lousy way to make money and treat your guests. For such a big building, I noticed that there were only 2 small elevators, for guests and room service which was at least inconvenient. And a last thing, the pool are was outdated and not so “warm” and the gym area very basic. For example, last Saturday I went to the gym to exercise a bit, but there was only one treadmill which was broken and there was not even an indication that it was not working. There were 2 ladies in the reception and I asked them how the treadmill works and they told me they had no idea – so in the pool/gym area there was nobody responsible. I started “playing” with the machine maybe I could make it work, and only then they told me that probably there was something wrong with it but they didn’t know what. To be honest, I had the feeling that the place was missing a type of personality/character and I would think twice before booking in the same place at this price.

The room we booked – garden view suite – was satisfactory, taking into consideration that it was a suite. The breakfast was also very good. Another thing I liked was the surroundings of the hotel.

Our grandchilderen had a very good time, again location is perfect!

Fried egg is made from powder and not from real eggs. We missed the possibility to make coffee or thee in the room. swimming pool is very old, it needs a makeover!!! Cleaning was poor during our stay as well.

The location and the rest.

Great facilities - restaurant and wellness centre are really...
    • Comfort Double Room

Great facilities - restaurant and wellness centre are really good, with very friendly and competent staff. Rooms are a little bit overpriced for their level of comfort, need some refreshing/renovating.

Not worth the money paid.
    • Lake side Executive room

Family room had a small children section. But kids could not sleep there as the windows we making terribly loud noise (like a care race) due to the wind. Got an email from the hotel asking if i was to tell them something I was unhappy with which i did- the noise. Nobody came and checked the room or asked if I was ok. That mesns the email was just a thicking box excercise. There is not enough staff at this hotel I think. When we cheched out there was a very long queue. We had to wait so long to check out. Which effected our journey back home (had to cancel a stop over to cach the train). Only one reception staff was dealing with check outs. Unacceptable really. And again I only realised we were charged 7€ per swinming gown at the check out as no body told me we had to pay for them when i collected the gowns from the reception( they should have told us they charge for them but the lady just took my room number thats all). Worse: In fact the gowns were useless as we were given adult gowns for my 4 and 8 year old even though i told them i had two kids (communicating with them is hard as most don’t soeak English at all). There is no tea or coffee making facilities in the rooms. Mini bar over priced. So i feel like overall the hotel was not worth the money we paid. Disappointed.

Breakfast Wifi Kind staff

They really need to improve the quality of their beds and...
    • Comfort Double Room

They really need to improve the quality of their beds and pillows. First time ever to suffered with neck and back pain.....worst nights sleep I can remember.

Very disappointing!
    • Comfort Twin Room

The carpet in the room was stained, remote didn't work, bathrobe stained. Swimming pool was packed with children shouting and jumping in the pool. Wellness facilities small, overcrowded and not very clean. This is not a hotel for a quiet, relaxing wellness experience!

Location and view

Nice hotel to stay.
    • Comfort Double Room

The staff don't reply to emails about advanced requests on time. Then when we request you change mode of payment they don't listen. Let's call this a one off incident. But overall a great place to stay.

It was modern, clean and sophisticated.

A relaxing oasis!
    • Design Room

Internet connection should be improved. Warmer in spa area.

Nice modern rooms made by designers, great view, excellent breakfast. Should be rated as a 5 stars hotel.

Won't be coming back.
    • Comfort Double Room

The room is outdated with too much textile to allow it to be clean (dark-ish green carpets), the bathroom is tiny and has old stains. Curtains were dirty. Bed sheets were not fresh.

Wifi is decent

• Comfort Double Room

Small rooms and not properly cleaned. One double bed with 2 single blankets (never seen in my life and it was not a mistake). Small parking. Old building. Definitely not a 4 stars hotel.

Breakfast and staff

Good Place to Stop when in Spa
    • Design Room

Rather remote from Spa itself but otherwise very good

A really nice stopover on the outskirts of Spa. A good bar and restaurant and the room I had was very spacious with a good balcony. Staff were friendly.

Good location, easy parking, close to Spa town center, enjoy breakfast in a locel cafe in Spa.
    • Comfort Twin Room

Although the breakfast was included and the buffet was big, the quality of all the items offered was very bad. Greasy bacon and eggs, poor quality cereals and yoghurt. Nothing had any taste at all. I did not eat it. My advise: enjoy the hotel, and skip breakfast!

The perfect "me" day :)
    • Comfort Double Room

Unfortunately their much advertized finnish sauna was out of order and no one was here to relay this info to and get it fixed. But the main negative point is that even if you are hotel clients you have to pay to access the spa (lower rate than exterior clients but still) if you want to avoid that you have to book directly through their official site. Also bring a bathrobe and flipflops with you because they charge for that too. Though really nice and helpful staff, the reception was only manned by one person so there was always quite a queue here.

Location is absolutely stunning. Don't be fooled by the greysh exterior of the building, the interiors are top notch and the view on the misty hills and forest are incredibly calming and soothing to watch. The Spa facility is small but efficient; the equipments are spotless, big tumbs up to the exterior jacuzzi with view on the forest ! all in all, a perfect place for a full batery recharge and some much needed pampering !

A nice hotel near a beautiful forest.
    • Lake side Executive room

No parking space. Small and poor connecting room for children. Wi-fi not good enough. No electricity socket near the bed. Every little thing extra costed extra money. No tea & coffee facilities in the room.

Nice green suroundings.

I enjoyed being there but I would not necessarily go back.
    • Comfort Twin Room

This is a 4 star middle class hotel. Everything needs redecorating. There is no fresh coffee at breakfast, that means only filter coffee in thermos cans. The wine menu is extremely overpriced. There is menu each evening at the restaurant. On weekdays you can take only one dish if you prefer, otherwise you are obliged to pay for the whole menu. Use of the swimming pool costs the same as use of the whole fitness area - 13 Euro. The rooms on the road side are loud from the passing traffic.

Fairly near to the Therme and from there to the lift going down to the center of town. Located a 10 min walk above the lake Waarfaz which is a lovely natural area.

Good location to town and track at Spa
    • Comfort Double Room

The pool area was dated and water was cold, Service at breakfast was slow when asking for tea/coffee etc Buffet was not attended and kept stocked and refreshed

A little dated overall but good location to town and the track at Spa. Friendly and helpful staff,

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

Nice view, nice swimming pool but improvements to be made regarding service, mainly at reception
    • Lake side Executive room

The people at the reception were not very friendly (mainly when we left, not even a smile), the decoration a little bit oldfashioned. Breakfast in our room : really not tasty Water "tank" in the fitness was empty, the spa outside was not functioning and his water was not very transparent ... There is a big supplement for the room service, it's a pity

The swimming pool was nice, the view from our room amazing, and the beds comfortable. The dinner was good.

Amazing views, friendly staff, excellent breakfast
    • Lake side Executive room

The shuttle service provided by the hotel, that doesn't run on week-ends, which I found very strange, given the fact that those are probably the days with most guests.

Amazing views, friendly staff, excellent breakfast

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Excellent relaxing Hotel
    • Comfort Double Room

No complimentary Water , coffee or tea .

Excellent Hotel and lovely staff. Parking was just in the property so a piece of cake to park. We upgraded to the Lake view and was well worth the price , with a stunning view. Room was very clean , big and spacious. Decor of the room was excellent . We stayed at the restaurant and chosen the set menu with fish, it was delicious . Breakfast was excellent too with plenty of choice. Overall we were very impressed with this Hotel and we will definitely go back . Thanks.

Good for a weekend but overly-priced and outdated hotel
    • Lake side Executive room

The hotel needs some renovation: the elevators, the swimming pool's changing rooms and the interior design are outdated. The breakfast buffet is rich but consists only of transformed and low-quality products.

The family room was big enough to comfortably accommodate a crib for our 11-month old boy. The view over the valley was awesome.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Expected better from 4 star hotel
    • Lake View Suite

For a 4 star hotel and a Suite, we expected more: minibar only had some bottles of water, no room service available in the evening, no options to eat in the restaurant since we arrived after 19:00: we had to order takeaway food. For a 4 star hotel, there should be some options for guests who arrive in the evening.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Great stay, very comfortable room (and bed!) and nice and helpful personal!
    • Comfort Double Room

Super friendly staff. Speak many languages! We got a free upgrade to a room with lake view. Breakfast was superbly organized and wealthy. Location of the hotel suited us very well. Within 10 minutes we were at the slopes (skiing), but also in the city center. We brought our dog with us and he loved the walk around the lake!

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Perfect.
    • Lake side Executive room

Breakfast open till near of the Lynch. It is important for kids after walking in some cities. Many options available. Clear room so good and not disturb you.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

Nice, pleasant hotel, with good views of the city of Spa. Ideal for a weekend gateaway!
    • Comfort Double Room

Two twin beds were put together to make one bed. This was very uncomfortable because of the gap between the beds. Would have liked to have coffee and tea making facilities in the room. To save energy, the main power switch must be activated by the room key, so that when occupants are not in the room, all power would be switched off, except for the frigde

The buffet breakfast was awesome!

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

A hotel should serving their clients and they did not bother.
    • Comfort Double Room

the hotel is situated at a rather bussy road to Verviers which means that if your room is situated on the backside it really is as if the cars run over your bed, you can hardly sleep with an open window and that for a spahotel that should be looking after your health> As I informed them that I had to eat lactose free I expected at least lactose free butter but no and asking for it did not change the situation. I will not go there again. The manager of the diningroom (evening) did his best and one of the girls at breakfast also. Not client friendly

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Breakfast very good chiuce

Breakfast very good chiuce

breakfast was great and also the beds were comfy.
    • Lake side Executive room

breakfast was great and also the beds were comfy. The view was also great.

The view

The view

Very nice and helpful staff
    • Comfort Double Room

Traffic noise in room facing the main road to Spa

Very nice and helpful staff

Feeling that we were given worst room because we booked via an OTA
    • Comfort Double Room

Noise from road, unhelpful staff, poor breakfast and feelig that we were given smallest room BECAUSE we booked via an OTA

Breakfast large choice and delicious
    • Comfort Double Room

Rooms are very small and in need of renovation

Breakfast large choice and delicious

Nice place in Spa
    • Comfort Double Room

The room was a bit small

The breakfast was good and personnel helpful and friendly

Average hotel
    • Comfort Double Room

Expensive for what you get. Needs refurbishment.

Valentijn

De Isolatie

Full Body Massage

Dinner à la carte was not possible.
    • Lake side Executive room

Dinner à la carte was not possible.

great choice when visiting Spa and surroundings.
    • Lake side Executive room

Pool area can have a refresh. Chairs worn and floor needs repair.

Excellent location with great view

Overall nice accommodation
    • Design Room

The girl at the reception was quite unpleasant. I guess she had a bad day.

The location was perfect. The room was clean and nicely decorated.

Staff
    • Comfort Double Room

Air-conditioning, no tea nor coffee in the room, bathrobe charged etc

Staff

Complicated access to the spa centre

Complicated access to the spa centre

Nice upgrade.
    • Comfort Double Room

Comfort room is heavily overpriced. The hotel smells like overcooked food.

Nice upgrade. The comfort double is not worth the money.

Big room and delicious meals
    • Lake side Executive room

The door to the bathroom in the room. It left very little privacy.

Mimosas during the delicious complementary breakfast

Attending the F1 Grand Prix - perfect
    • Comfort Twin Room

A bit dated (ancient lifts etc)

Good hotel, friendly and helpful staff, Excellent Spa. Terrific steak in the restaurant

Air conditioning, lovely location
    • Comfort Double Room

No tea/coffee in the bedroom, very limited TV channels

Air conditioning, lovely location

Over priced and poor service
    • Lake side Executive room

Shabby and tired hotel. No room service available and rude restaurant staff. Swimming pool facilities dirty.

Good views - nice bed

Good hotel, definetly value for money.
    • Comfort Twin Room

Good hotel, definetly value for money. Breakfast was great!!!

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Overpriced Junior Suite with bed bugs - please avoid

BED BUGS!

Perfect stay
    • Lake side Executive room

Swimming pool starts feeling old

The family room was perfect and the view amazing

Rather restricted food portions served in restaurant for...
    • Design Room

Rather restricted food portions served in restaurant for dinner.

Great breakfast and great wellness center.
    • Comfort Double Room

Small bedroom for two people.

Great breakfast and great wellness center.

Good hotel
    • Comfort Twin Room

Menu from restaurant was only in french

Reception was very good, the room was excelent

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Weekend in Spa
    • Comfort Double Room

Great location, trilingual staff and we've got a free upgrade to a lake view room.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

No air refreshener in toilet.
    • Lake side Executive room

No air refreshener in toilet. No clear identification of light switches at night- u basically don't know where swithes are when it's dark

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

calm and restful stay, but you can easily boost it up with lots of activity
    • Comfort Double Room

really good breakfast, extremely friendly staff, all our wishes were met with

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

Pleasant stay
    • Lake side Executive room

Close to the forest, excellent for dogs, and two minutes' drive from Spa.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

Very nice place.

Clean and warm place.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2016

Staff at check in comparable to a machine, at checkout no...

Staff at check in comparable to a machine, at checkout no one asked about satisfaction. I have stayed there a couple of years ago and it was very nice, had a great room too. But this time it was disappointing on all sides except for the cleanliness of the room! Nothing to write home about!

• Reviewed: 20 May 2016

Close to Spa, easy to drive past the hotel entrance but...

Close to Spa, easy to drive past the hotel entrance but ample free parking. Nice breakfast with very good variety. Room was standard hotel room, well kept up and very clean.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2016

Our room was very comfortabl, modern and clean.

Towels are small and when we visited the spa they asked 7.5 € for a bathrobe. Considering that we paid 200€ per night, bathrobes should be offered. Breakfast was not bad, but there was nothing special either, a bit of a disappointment.

Our room was very comfortabl, modern and clean.

• Reviewed: 1 May 2016

We had a family room and it was specious, with plenty of...

We had a family room and it was specious, with plenty of room for us and the dog. The view was magnificent and we loved that there is a forest and a lake just behind the hotel so we could go for nice walks. I imagine it's even more stunning in the summer.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2016

-The nice view

-The bedding quality -The noise from the wind blowing during the night -The annoying noise coming from the heating system during the night -The bad water evacuation of our bathtub -The surprising limited TV programs offered -The services offered in general do not correspond to a four star hotel

-The nice view -Very helpful and kind staff -Spacious room

• Reviewed: 29 March 2016

The restaurant was very good and the staff as well

The room was a bit noisy because it was on the side of the street. The bathroom was very small. The room was also small

The restaurant was very good and the staff as well

• Reviewed: 3 January 2016

I liked the location, and the large room with the huge...

I did not like: the poor isolation of the room's walls, and of the window-doors, although they were double.....The horrible old carpets of the corridors, that have a look of 60s and are filled with allergic elements...And the fact , that the clients are obliged to ....pay extra money (!!) for the special swimming-pool robes and sandals!! Which , normally, had to be offered/found in each room for free...

I liked the location, and the large room with the huge window-doors and the excellent view !!The fresh and clean air surrounding this place..The fact that pets are allowed(although much extra paid..).I liked the excellent staff!! The large dining rooms , and the great musicians -- NOT their singer, who needs a lot to learn about her annoying voice....

• Reviewed: 1 December 2015

Incredible view on landscape

A lot of price supplements (+7 Euros for a suit, +5 Euros for slippers, +20 Euros Access to Spa) -->Kills the "charm" . No surprise...

Incredible view on landscape

• Reviewed: 30 August 2015

Excellent hotel, friendly staff, good food and facilities.

Nothing to dislike - all excellent.

Excellent hotel, friendly staff, good food and facilities. Large room with great views across the valley. Disabled facilities very good with loads of room to manoeuvre a wheelchair. Very clean and comfortable

• Reviewed: 17 June 2015

We had a meal in the hotel in the evening.

We had a meal in the hotel in the evening.staff were very poor and slow. When we had finished our main course they didnt clear for a long time then said we couldent have a sweet as the chef had finished.!!

• Reviewed: 27 May 2015

ROMAIN, THE MANAGER, COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE ACCOMMODATING...

ROMAIN, THE MANAGER, COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE ACCOMMODATING AND THE STAFF WERE VERY PLEASANT. RESTAURANT FOOD WAS TO A GOOD STANDARD AND VALUE FOR MONEY. NO HESITATION IN RECOMMENDING THE HOTEL TO EVERYONE. WE WILL CERTAINLY RETURN AGAIN FOR FUTURE EVENTS AT SPA

• Reviewed: 10 April 2015

We couldnt get a massage appointment which was the reason...

We couldnt get a massage appointment which was the reason for us to go to SPA in particular. They were fully booked during the weekend we stayed there. That was an unpleasant surprise.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2016

Excellent restaurant and breakfast with great views on the...

Lack of tea/coffee making facilities in the room

Excellent restaurant and breakfast with great views on the south side rooms.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2016

There are no tea boiling facilities in the room

There are no tea boiling facilities in the room

• Reviewed: 14 March 2016

Staf was excellent even late check in .

Noting to dislike

Staf was excellent even late check in .Got food In restaurant

There are also 37 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.