Reviews of Stanhope Hotel by Thon Hotels 5 stars

Rue du Commerce 9, 1000 Brussels, Belgium

#36 of 215 hotels in Brussels

• Club Double Room

The decor was lovely and traditional, but some of the furniture could do with updates/ TLC.

The bed was comfy and the staff friendly and so helpful. The garden courtyard was beautiful to relax in with a drink at the end of the day exploring Brussels.

• Classic Double Room

The bed was a bit big for the room, you had to climb over it to get to the other side, or it was a very narrow walk way between the foot and the wall. There wasn't anything on the other side to get to, but as the person sleeping on that side of the bed, I had to climb over my partner when I got up in the morning.

The bed was very comfortable and the shower had great water pressure. I enjoyed the Molton Brown toiletries.

Cost of the breakfast

I use this hotel regularly and the staff know what I want, my room preferences and invariably accommodate them. This makes the Stanhope a home from home.

• Classic Double Room

Wish we could have stayed longer.

The suite was beautifully appointed, complete with Persian carpets on dark hardwood. The bathroom with separate bath and shower as well as a separate toilet worked nicely. Nice view of courtyard. The bowl of fresh fruit by the elevator was not only attractive but a nice treat.

• Classic Double Room

The room configuration over two floors is rather unusual (and not very comfortable)

Loved the style of the place and the restaurant. I would stay this is a fantastic old-school style hotel that is perfectly suited for a business trip. Staff are ultra-friendly and helpful and the bar area was quiet and great for one-to-one meetings.

• Classic Single Room

Why provide a coffee maker and kettle in the room, when you don't provide tea or coffee?

There was no hot water in my bathroom in the morning. There was no one to fix this because it was too early. There was no offer of a solution, and I was charged the full price for the room with only a cursory apology from the staff.

• Club Double Room

We sat by the courtyard outdoors and ordered coffee, the cups and leftovers haven’t been removed until the next day. Also the rooms haven’t been cleaned unless you call room service.

Breakfast room and the breakfast were good.

• Club Double Room

Breakfast personnel questionable for 5 star hotel, unwelcoming and looked annoyed to serve. One lady especially. In the third breakfast I didn’t get my poached eggs after long waiting. I had to leave without it. Most likely she forgot to order it from the kitchen. There were 2 people at breakfast then. So surely not overwhelmed. :) Also she brought black tea instead of green. Warm food was not good, at least on those 2 first days I got to try it. Does not justify salty price tag per person. Pastries however very good. At checkout it took while to get bills settled. Nobody asked for feedback for the stay. Not sure whether English skills were the issue. Cleaning lady forgot to add new towels and toiletries to room, I had bath salt only first night. So service delivery level lacked quite a bit to be 5 star hotel in my view.

Hotel room was very nice and spacious, I stayed at club room. The receptionist at checkin was excellent, very professional and helpful. He surely delivered an excellent service. He helped with restaurant booking, had a great recommendation, guidance etc. Hotel location is good, near metro. I liked the shoe cleaning service, excellent idea and delivery.

• Classic Double Room

Me and my partner spent an amazing weekend in Stanhope hotel, the personnel was welcoming and always ready to help, the room was cozy comfortable with spacious bedroom and bathroom. Walking distance from the city centre, the museums squares (magritte, beaux arts) and from the european parliament. Best perk: the sauna!

• Classic Double Room

The weather, but this was not the fault of the Stanhope! ;)

Accommodation in Brussels is expensive, but frequently you DON'T get what you pay for. This was NOT the case with the Stanhope. Just a 1-night stay. Staff were especially friendly and helpful.

• Classic Double Room

My breakfast meau list was hand up outside the door (before 10PM ) overnight. No one come to collect it. Check-out was charged me the accommodation fee again by mistake. The room has renewed recently . I still can smell something chemisty.

Staff of restaurant is nice. Location is convenient. Price is the value of money. Soft bed and offer slipper.

• Classic Double Room

Well I don't know where to start. I had made a list with the things that annoyed me about this hotel, I threw it away, but I reconsidered now, because I think other clients have to know this. There were dead bees in our room, and lots of them, some on the floor, some stuck in that ceiling lamp. (I uploaded Photos). How is that even possible? When was the last time that room was even cleaned? I have never seen such thing im my life, I had to come to a so called 5 star hotel to whitness it. The room was small, there was no kitchen, only a small bar with hugely overpriced items. A person my size (1,85m) could barely fit in the shower cabinet. Outside it was pretty chilly, 12-15 C, the air conditioning system would not provide any heat in the room. The entrance door would only close if one would slam it, so that the whole hotel could hear it. You want to charge your phone, laptop on or near the bed? forget it, there aren't any sockets. I know that we booked the standard room, and not some apartement sweet, but this is just appalling. And keep in mind, this was a city trip as a present for my girlfriend's birthday. So thank you for the unforgettable memories!

The breakfast was pretty tasty, particularly the cheese. The bed was extremely comfortable. The hotel location is convenient. We found a parking spot just outside the hotel, and because it was weekend, it was free.

• Classic Single Room

Single room feels a bit small. Insulation from neighbouring rooms not ideal, could hear voices in the evening.

Classy hotel walking distance from Gare de Luxembourg and European Institutions. Comfortable bathroom and good quality toiletries. Excellent breakfast.

• Classic Double Room

Service needs to improved definitely.

I stay in a 5 star hotel most of time when I go on a holiday. The reason I booked this hotel, of course it is a low price hotel, though it is not the cheapest one when I book for Brussels trip. The facilities are fine, you get nearly everything you need during the stay. But the staffs are not qualified as the 5 star quality. I called for in room service repair for iOS mirroring dead, at first time the receptionist promised a 5-minute response but 30 minutes later I called the reception again they did not even know I called. Staffs came to our room nearly 4 times during our 2-day stay to check the minibar. One even at 9 o'clock in the morning. Everything needs to pay at a very high price to compare with high street goods, not very common in most of the 5-star hotel. I'm not sure the standard of a 5 star rated hotel in Brussels but for me, I would rate the hotel as a 4 star. Good location and good facilities but not the service.

• Classic Double Room

Even though I don't go to hotels to watch tv i like to have the option of it after a long day of walking around. Although the tv set was good it did not offer very good options for entertainment channels but it had an excellent variety of news channels. I thought that the breakfast for 30euros, per person was a little bit expensive. Bought it once and it was excellent and offers a la carte items which might explain the price.

The location is not in the city center but there is a metro and bus station close by so getting there does not take a long time. The room was very clean and the facilities really good. Soft bed and very comfortable. Staff was helpful and nice. There was a big flatscreen tv in the bed. Breakfast is excellent but expensive see below. I liked the hotel that much that I booked it again when I came back to Brussels. Highly recommend it.

• Classic Double Room

Construction works in the next building started very early in the morning with loud noise. On the day of checkout, the lobby was full with people having a standing breakfast before a company meeting, which made the interaction with the hotel employees difficult..

Very elegant structure, extremely close to European offices. I had a large, nicely furnished, and comfortable room with separate bathroom and toilet. Breakfast was good, but nothing special, even a little disappointing, considering the level of the hotel.

• Classic Single Room

big, deep bathtub, very slippery some lights not working tiny, tine toilet compartment lack of gluten free food choices no help with luggage (you must ask and it is given with a frown; I'm a 70 year old woman)

big room, nice curtains

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Nothing I can think of.

To describe anywhere as an oasis of civilised charm in a place like Brussels is probably a very poor choice of metaphor, but the Stanhope is a gem. This is my fourth or fifth visit and, as always, I encountered thoughtful and attendant staff and excellent facilities with comfortable and well equipped rooms. It is well situated for access to the European sector and also for pursuing more cultural interests. Fresh fruit left in a bowl by the lifts is a nice touch.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

• Classic Double Room

We really enjoyed our stay at The Stanhope Hotel. The room and facilities were fantastic and the location a short walk away to restaurants and the attractions of Brussels .Would recommend this hotel.

• Classic Double Room

A little expensive breakfast and the staff in the restaurant were a little rude and noisy.

Awesome hotel! Nice location, just nearby a metro station, 10 min walk from the European Parliament. The staff at the reception and the piccolos were uniquely kind and helpful. Would visit again.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

• Classic Double Room

For the buffet provided breakfast is far too expensive when considering that around the corner you can get a very similar breakfast for less than 10 Euro

Friendly staff. Clean comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

• Classic Double Room

Unfortunatelly even if the rooms and the hotel were clean there was a lot of dist on the boiserie in the bathroom and overall. The towels look bit suspicious as well.

Very nice rooms, accomodation, friendly staff and beautifull scenery. Cosy and warm decorated. Right next to the main shopping street.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

• Classic Single Room

It was a national holiday when I was there; and I can't expect that more would have been open.

Great location, lovely hotel, good food, very friendly and helpful staff, the suite was wonderful.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

• Classic Single Room

It is an old building but I would still like to see some updating of the wiring and plumbing which in my room (304 if the manager is reading this...!) is a bit old. 1960s style tap mixer shower is also not really good enough for a 5 star hotel. The bar closes at midnight so if you are having a late night you must decamp to the nearby Place Luxembourg.

There is no denying this is an expensive place to stay. However I think it is still value for money as it is top class quality. I was there for a formal dinner also and the food was superb. Mt taxi driver commented "the Stanhope has one of the best kitchens in Brussels according to what I hear...." - what he hears is right. Dopn't be fooled by the modest exterior....inside it is a big hotel!

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Classic Single Room

Gym could be better. Same applies to additional services: dry clean, ironing, massage etc.

Great breakfast. Brilliant lobby bar. One of the Top 3 business travel hotels for the EU zone.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Classic Double Room

TV didn't work, to be fair we didn't report it until we left but not what we expected. Breakfast goes on until midday on Sunday which is great but there was not a lot left by the time we got down at 11:15am ish.

Friendly staff, quiet room. Nice decor and very pleasant courtyard garden where we had breakfast

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

• Classic Double Room

The nearest stores close so early, and it's not so convenient to find an open restaurant at night.

The decoration in the room is very lovely, the staff members are so friendly, and the breakfast is extraodinarily good, highly recommendable! I'd love to stay here again when I come back to Brussels.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

• Classic Double Room

Conveniently located, very close to the Trone station, spacious and comfy room, breakfast is excellent and wonderful friendly staff, who made you feel warm welcoming. Would highly recommend to everyone who's visiting Brussel.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

Fabulous hotel in the heart of Bruxelles, 2 min walk from the Palace. Very Professional and friendly staff. The hotel is so beautifully decorated that you feel like being in a museum or a palace.Truly a 5 stars hotel and value for money. I would recommend it to everyone who want to visit Bruxelles.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

The guy whith glasses from reception he have rasist behaviour. After i quarantee by booking my stay there he put me to pay in advance over 350 Euro extra garantee. The money was release back after 2 weeks. Shame! Its too young to have such behavior. And dont tell me its the hotel policy. The franch couple who do check in in front of me they pay some 50 euro garantee 👎👎👎

Very close to the center , clean and elegant hotel.

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

One day my room was not serviced, however when is informed reception of this, it was done straight away and after this had no problems.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Very clean. Lovely hotel! Would definitely return and recommend!

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

• Suite

There was an awful siren noise at all times at night but that's not at the fault of the hotel. Despite being one street away from a busy intersection, we could still hear the ambulance blaring at night.

We got two junior suites and it's was in the renovated side of the hotel. I got the canopy bed I had requested! The wifi is pretty fast and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The location was nice as it was a 15 min away from downtown.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Classic Double Room

Little bit further from absolute center as expected, but still in center. Roommaid walked in while in shower.

Nice, big room. Separate bathroom/toilett. Comfortable bed. Large breakfast, with everything, (also waffles) No complaints at all.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

• Classic Double Room

Rooms were fairly dated and air conditioning was awful in the 2 story rooms - it was not powerful enough to reach the upstairs area where the bed was located.

Very nice staff

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

• Classic Single Room

Breakfast a bit pricy but probably worths it

Extra comfortable bed, loved the luxury bath products, nice view outside, very close to business (EP), stylish room, very welcoming staff

• Suite

Good size room Flexible approach to late check-out

Relatively expensive

Useful to have private parking

• Classic Double Room

The room was stuffy and had poor lighting.

Cost of breakfast at Euro 30

Excellent location and friendly staff

• Classic Double Room

Staff was incredibly accommodating.

• Classic Single Room

Room was a little small.

Very convenient for my business meetings. Good value.

• Classic Single Room

I like the hotel very much! I will choose it again if visit Brussels next time.

• Classic Double Room

Breakfast extremely punctual and very fresh

• Classic Double Room

Excellent room facilities and nicely decorated.

• Classic Double Room

Breakfast is a bit expensive so not used

Room was two tier and very novel

• Classic Double Room

Service in the private dinning room was excellent, fast, professional, not a disturbance for the speakers. Moreover the food was hot and very good.

• Classic Double Room

Rooms was excellent clean and the location to my meeting was within walking distance

breakfast

rooms, staff treatment. Breakfast very poor.

Poor bar service, unfriendly

• Club Double Room

Structurally understaffed for its category

BreKfast too expensive

Position

• Classic Double Room

Large and comfortable room. Excellent breakfast. Staff friendly and helpful (not always the case in Brussels).

not much

The lobby is gorgeous; staff is incredibly helpful; room luxurious

didnt need it

• Classic Double Room

It was too old fashioned

Friendly personell

Leaving

Stunning hotel- could not believe that its only a 4 star hotel!!!!! Thought the goodie bag at check out was fantastic!

• Classic Double Room

The hotel is very nicely located, comfortable and the staff is very supportive.

• Club Double Room

Top Lage! Top Hotel! Super nettes Team!

All thing

☹️

• Classic Single Room

The room was very cosy and quiet

Cleaning ladies were rude

Rooms are big

Luxury at a low price

• Classic Single Room

It was a special offer on price. Normally your lovely hotel is a little too expensive for me.

Excellent lunch out in your courtyard

• Classic Double Room

The staff were extremely attentive without being intrusive. They were very helpful when we asked for advice.

• Classic Double Room

Beautiful hotel in the hart of Brussels. Rooms are very comfortable. Hotel staff is very polite.

• Classic Double Room

They always remember me. It's like coming home.

• Club Double Room

Restaurant closed during weekend (but room service available 24/7)

Very nice room (club), was like a mini-suite with a livingroom and a bedroom.

Cost of breakfast

Excellent location for my business trip

• Classic Double Room

The retro work table lacked power points for my laptop

Well appointed room with comfy bed, quiet aircon essential in the 31 deg C heat locally

• Classic Single Room

Extremely nice staff, a comfortable and clean room with ironing facilities, a very convenient conference place

• Club Double Room

Lack of a/c and no fans-hot!

Close to centrum. Breakfast good

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Classic Double Room

Chic hotel, spotlessly clean with staff that were really helpful. Arranged food despite my late arrival.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

• Club Double Room

rooms and public spaces excellent

• Classic Single Room

Very nice room. Lovely hotel. Lots of small restaurants nearby.

Browse Stanhope Hotel by Thon Hotels traveller photo gallery