Reviews of Univers Hotel & Restaurant 3 stars

Rue des Guillemins 116, 4000 Liège, Belgium

#8 of 21 hotels in Liège

The towels. My first night I had a rather well worn and frayed towel, far too small and very thin.

Good standard hotel next to the railway station with a good breakfast. Parking was in a public carpark opposite which was secure. Quieter than I expected as my room overlooked the railway station and I expected to be kept awake by trains.

Not really any choice for vegetarians in the restaurant, and oddly we couldn't get frites with beers, so went elsewhere

Good location for arrival and departure by train.

Black short hairs everywhere to find. Tissuerest at the Bed. Rupped Bed & and some other broken things for example chairs in breakfast room...

Bed & Breakfast. CheckIn & Out

Nothing very important to mention!

Very nice hotel, in a convenient location exactly next to the train station. Also within walking distance from the center. Room was big enough and very comfortable. Very friendly staff. Also good breakfast.

The receptionist gave us a different (cheaper, smaller) room than I had booked. After complaining she agreed to change it but without any appologies for the mistake. In the morning at ceck out, although the hotel had blocked the price of the room on my credit card, they told me that I have to use a different payment method because the city tax had no been added. So basicly I paid again for my room. When I asked about releasing the blocked amount on my credit card, they told me it will take a week. I travel a lot and I have never had such wierd and unpleasant experiences before.

Room was nice, clean an spacious. Comfortable beds, fast Wifi, separate seating area. Breakfast was ok but nothing special. Location is great just next to the station.

Bathroom was tiny - toilet was from a primary school. It really wasn't suitable for anyone above average size. Shower was good.

Friendly staff close to station.

The room was small with only a standard double bed,the shower room was basic but functional, we managed to park on the road outside the hotel otherwise it was a fair walk to the nearest underground parking

The staff were lovely, there was a nice restaurant serving good food at a fair price but the service was quite slow, we stayed on a public holiday and the room rate was good, there were lots of bars/restaurants around

The pipes gurgled a bit but we were so tired it didn’t annoy us.

Convenience to the train station and good value for money. Staff also were all very pleasant and helpful.

I paid on arrival but they still decided to charge the tourist tax separately at check out. I wasn't able to get reimbursement for the breakfast I didn't eat. Large, noisy construction site next door.

Convenient location if you arrive very late or leave very early by train.

location ,near the train station 10 mins to centre parking would come here to stay again parking good and rooms comfortable shower hot but not very powerful no kettke in room no breaffast but the pros outweighed the cons

Our room was on the top floor . when we left to check out at 8:oo am the lift was full of laundry and the attendant refused to take it out. really bad, we had to struggle down 4 floors with our luggage!!

The restaurant service was good as was the food.

I live in the hotel from Feb14 to Feb 16. I pay the 2-nights fee when I check out, but I found that this hotel charged extra one night money one day before I arrived, Feb 13. Since I did not authorized the payment from my prepaid card, this charge is still pending and I could not use my money. I called the hotel, they asked me to send a mail to them but they never reply me. I just want my money back.... **** Please just cancel the amount collected in excess*** Besides, normal breakfast, limited vegetable choice. The manager started to clean up everything before the end of the breakfast time.

Matress really really soft. I personally like hard matresses, but I'm sure women love them like this It is not particularly close to the "city center", rather close to the train station. You can walk to the center though. If you get to breakfast buffet too close to the closing time there will be no re-fill ( I tried asking for some scrambled eggs 10 min before close and my request was kindly declined ).

The staff was very friendly and welcoming. Rooms are quite silent. Breakfast is good. Location is fantastic if you are arriving/leaving by train and staying for a night. You can walk to the city center, albeit a 2 - 2,5 km walk.

The bed cover was dirty (though it was promptly replaced by the housekeeping staff) and room was dusty. There was no kettle in the room.

The staff and receptionists were helpful.

No carpets on the bathroom. Can't charge the phone or tablet near the bed.

Quiet place. Very nice and clean. Breakfast also very good and multiples choices of food

1. Breakfast: Breakfast room operatives failed to clear the tables of used plates etc, just allowed to pile up 2. Breakfast room operatives failed to refresh with further suppliers items that had been consumed. 3. Breakfast room operatives start taking items away before the end of the advertised opening times of the breakfast room

1. Fast Friendly efficient check in 2. Room clean 3. Room Warm 4. Room & Bathroom serviced everyday 5. Wifi worked in the room

1. The breakfast - The breakfast operatives don't refresh with further supplies foods that have been consumed. 2. The Breakfast operatives start taking breakfast items away before the end of the advertised breakfast room opening times. 3. The breakfast room operatives don't clear the tables. Used plates etc just pile up on tables.

1. Fast Efficient Check in 2. Room and Bath Room cleaned everyday 3. Room warm 4. Bed comfortable 5. Wifi worked in the room

Rooms were bit compact

Reception staff was very helpful, specifically when u r in non english speaking city, they were able to book taxi for us when we stuck with snow 15 KM before the city, great help!!!!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The room was a little noisy from upstairs walking across the floor. The breakfast was quite disappointing. We were in a non smoking room but because we were next to the stairway I think smoke from outside kept coming into our room (either that or the vents blew it in)

The rooms were huge. The staff were friendly. The 25€ 3 course meal was really good! There was a huge bath in a bathroom with a separate TV.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Lots of Outdoor Road Construction, but no fault of the Hotel's.

Excellent Breakfast Hotel Staff very accommodating especially the front desk young lady Charline. She helped us store our bags since our room was not ready so we could go into town to the Sunday Market lined along the river. Beds comfortable & the elevator was a plus. Parking spot reserved at a garage within walking distance

Hotel is well situated across the impressive Santiago Calatrava - designed train station. Rooms are well sized and ours had plenty of light and a fantastic view towards the train station

* the key-card of the room didn't work, and had to be reprogrammed at the end of every day. it was explained to me that I was keeping it next to the cell phone- which I definitely did not. * had a building site in front of my window- a little noisy, but not too bad (isolation was quite good). * not enough electricity points in my room

the room was clean and warm the hotel is very close to the train station the restaurant of the hotel was very good

Room a bit small. A bit scary part is that one night we didn't lock the door, just closed it, and during the night, when I was about to sleep, the door opened itself. Nothing happened, just a bit scary for two girls at night. So be sure to lock it!

Very close to the train station, and thus close to many bus stops there. Staff very friendly.

The hotel is only 5 min from the Liege Train Station. You can find at least 5 bars around the hotel. 20 min on foot from the city centre. The car park is 2 min walk from the hotel, 10EU/day. The room was really clean and looked brand new on the first floor. It was a really big bathtub in the bathroom :) The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The hotel is old and the floor is made of wood. It becomes a bit noisy when the guest walk in their room especially at night or early in the morning. This is sad because the hotel has been very well renovated. However the noice was inconvenient only fot 10 minutes in the 3 days we stayed there. No big deal.

Very goog value

Even though the parking was just across the street and up less than half a block the attendant was completely rude and unhelpful when we had trouble. He spoke nothing but French, and even though we were bi-lingual, with English and German, he told us, "go away, no park".

Breakfast was the usual European fare. Two of our party went down to the bar for a beer and found the staff and other patrons, which were mostly local, very friendly. They enjoyed the atmosphere and conversation. The baths in our 2 rooms were recently remodeled and lovely.

Little more choice at breakfast would have been nice but cannot really fault food and accommodation.

Clean and comfy accommodation. Friendly nd attentive staff. Close to centre of Town and only 50 minutes drive to the Grand Prix. would stay again if we return for the next race at Spa.

Parking, of course! Broke the rules and found a spot...but still!

Liked the location, as it was next to absolutely fabulous Calatrava- made train station and I had a view to that one. So for me it was just perfect. Neighbourhood is like always near the central stations and to find a free parking spot was just mission impossible. Liked the attitude of stuff and also breakfast was pretty ok. Despite the closeness to transport hub it was very silent in the´room. Thank you!

Nothing in particular

Very close to the station and to La Boverie, the hotel is a good starting point for visiting the city. The room was big enough for a short staying, very clean, provided with airco and heating, with a comfortable bed. The buffet breakfast is generous.

Helpful staff, that pointed out the free motorcycle parking in front of the hotel. Nice food onsite. Well organised room. A bit out of the downtown, so you get to see more of Liege. I went walkabout to visit places friends had been too. Nice park. Neat olde-worlde alleys.

We were in Liege for the Spa Gran Prix, and the price of the hotel was very over-priced, and so while the hotel was fine (the bathroom needed a good clean however), the price paid felt like very poor value for money. The decor needed updating in our room, and looked a little tired. The bathroom in our room (particularly the toilet), while it had been cleaned needed a much better deep clean as there was mould and staining! We would have liked additional pillows, there was no mini-bar.

The breakfast was excellent and the staff were helpful; the Brasserie itself was fantastic value and great food. If you are travelling by train, the hotel is close to the station and has a lively Brasserie near it. The beds are comfortable and access to local shops and restaurants is good.

- very filthy rooms - bathroom needs renovation - breakfast to expensive

Close to the train station (although this leads to noise from the trains in the morning)

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Great location, close to Liege train station which is an architectural masterpiece. There are many restaurants and cafes nearby so we did not book any breakfast or any other meal at the hotel restaurant. Hotel is located close to La Boverie and we used the opportunity to take river ferry to get us to the city center. From the city center there are many buses heading to the Guillemins train station so that's a bonus. Public parking is within walking distance and you can buy the ticket at the hotel reception for 10 Euro/day.

Planned on using restaurant which was closed for remodel. Restaurants close by are not worth trying -instead use bakeries and deli in neighbourhood

When travelling by train as a tourist this is a good central hotel seconds from train station.

A very simple room (only TV, nothing else), bathroom is fine.

I arrived a little bit early than it was check-in and thanks to the receptionist my room was a ready in 15 minutes. It is a really very close of the the railway station and not too far to the historical center.

Tired decor. Traffic (and train) noise if bedroom window is open, and without air conditioning the room was very warm in the hot weather we experienced.

Parking is just across the road in a multi-story car park. Visit the hotel first to get a ticket. Good breakfast, but the Brasserie part was closed for their holidays!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The room was very clean, cosy, and spacious compared to other properties in the area, Staff were very helpful, located next to the Train Station, and next to several bus stations as well

Relatively close to the city center. If you cant find a parking space on the street, they can provide you with a parking ticket for the nearby parking garage at a reduced price.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

I don't like the smell of the room, so next time I should book a non-smoked room.

I like the location of the hotel,it besides the train station. It's very easy to reach by car. The parking garage is just at the other side of the hotel. Walking maximum 20mins to get to the center. Very friendly staff. Comfortable bed.

I was disappointed to find the brassiere was closed. Apparently this only became known after I had booked the room. Although the bathroom was excellent, good fittings etc, I was disappointed that there were no grab rails on the bath, and no secure footholds when using the shower. I would suggest that some form of mat be provided, before there is a nasty accident

The location, was excellent.The area is not the best, but as train access was essential, there was no problem.

Breakfast was average and did not justify 12€ cost, but no real alternative available locally as many outlets were closed for annual break (normal in Liege to close in July for 2/3 weeks) as, indeed, was the Univers Brasserie.

Very handy for rail station and though 1.5kms from centre buses were frequent and cheap

Close to the station and city centre. I at "a cannibal " a kind of french tartar on toast. Well seasoned with still the nice taste of meat. Breakfast at 12€/pp is well served and coffee is from good quality (important in the morning ) Nearby the hotel is the station public parking affordable (16€/24h) and very secure. From the hotel it's 10 minutes walk to the Boverie (http://boverie.com) the modern art museum. At "La Belle Liégeoise " the new pedestrian and cycling bridge over the Meuse River bringing you to the museum you can get a ferry brining you to the city center and the "Grand Curtius " museum which shows collection from the local industries: weapons and glass as well as traditions and culture. At the station you can also rent a bike and enjoy the city using the many existing cycling paths. .. Behind the station it's also easy to join the Inter-allies memorial (the white tower next to the green coupole above the station ) which remember WW1.

The hotel does not provide any kettle and drinking water.

The location was good and close to the train station, although a bit far from the city centre. Reception staff was friendly and helpful.

A lot of noise from rooms next to us. We could hear them talking and taking showers Not all the staff members were friendly but they were helpful Breakfast was poor and is only open till 10 am on Sunday.

If you travel by train this hotel is perfectly located

The walk into the centre didn't seem to be through the most salubrious part of town .... I would not have ventured in on my own

Location excellent for Liege-Guillemins train station Good selection of places to eat in the town centre [the hotel has a restaurant for those who prefer not to go out to eat]

City itself is quite boring - almost nothing to see. We didn't like the brasserie which belongs to this hotel - salad my wife had was quite below average and we had to wait almost 10 minutes for the bill (while we needed to catch the train). However, it was at lunch time, maybe in the evening it is much better.

Quite big room and very big bathroom (especially comparing to our hotel in Antwerp), clean, big double bed, air conditioning - overall very nice experience. Friendly staff, good location just 200 metres from the railway station but not that noisy like we were afraid at the beginning.

The building and furnishings were a bit older. About a 20-30-minute walk to the river and city centre.

Breakfast was enjoyable. The air-conditioning in the room was also nice. Sheets, pillows and bed were very comfortable. Sizeable bath a plus. Conveniently located to train station for an early departure or late arrival.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Wi-Fi wasn't accessible due to concrete and stone walls. Hallways smelled musty and stale. would have liked a fan in the room due to warm temperature and no AC

good location to the cathedrals

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Plenty of room! Luxurious bathroom. All amenities were first class. This was the best room that we stayed in during a two-week bike tour of BENELUX. They provided protected storage for our bikes. Extra credit: the desk clerk on the morning of our departure was drop dead gorgeous.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

We came here from Brussels by train, the station is just 5 min from the Hotel. The room is small, but clean. The view iv very nice, especially in the evening. We didnt have breakfast there, so we visited caffees next to the Hotel. Thanks to Melody (hotel manager), she gave us all the info!

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

the room cleaned and clean towels every day the team on reception are brilliant breakfast as good as any continental breakfast I've had location opposite the train station is position A1

• Superior Double or Twin Room

A big and clean room. The first time ever i had a television in the bathroom. Thats why the kids spent some time there... For us the breakefast is important and it was quite ok. In the evening we ate dinner in the restaurant connected to the hotel. This I can recommend. Do not forget to go to the Restaurants toilet, because the pictures on the corridor showing the restaurant in various eras are interesting. In the evening i suggest to walk around the amazing trainstatton beside the hotel.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

I arrived very late, but they kept my reservation. Having breakfast was a huge perk. The hotel had a great bar and restaurant attached and it was very easy to find and close to the train station.

Nothing really - it was all very good and for the big room we had very good value.

We were given a family room with very nice bathroom (double sinks), walk-in wardrobe and a view over the superb new railway station and grassy area. Breakfast was what you expect in a 3* and was fine - although the scrambled eggs had a slightly odd texture as if something had been added to "bulk them up". Otherwise, the Brasserie on the ground floor is nicely decorated too and handy for drinks and light meals during the day.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

The lift could have been a big larger for the bikes but that's just picky really.

It was a bonus being able to keep the bikes in the rooms. Excellent for the station too. Good bar.

Pillow was too rigid. Third day morning the breakfast was not the same then during the week-end (no bacon, saucissons as an accompagnie of omelette).

Good quality foods in the restaurant. Helpful, professional personnel. Nice design of interieur.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Its not clear on the hotel website that parking is not at the hotel, but just up the road in public parking.

Very nice room. Hotel ideal for the TGV rail station

The room was not very large,but very well planned.The beds comfortable,the shower jet is the best we ever encontered! We loved that the window opened two ways,so we could leave it open at night. The location is the greatest.After a day out walking,it was so nice to get off the train or bus,and be in our room 3 minutes later.Even though the hotel is accross the street from the train station,it was very quiet. The staff was very helpful when needed. It was a very enjoyable stay

The breakfast was not good. Just eggs and ham and some pain au chocolat. But as we told to the reception that we were not happy we did not had to pay it. Fair.

Good spacious room. New bathroom and clean.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

Found 09.00 weekday finish for breakfast was too early for leisure travellers - 10.00 would be better. Not much selection on hot food menu for evening menu in Brasserie restaurant.

Brilliant breakfast

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

The rooms have no carpets so there was some noise from the room above mine.

Touring by train I found the hotel very well located for the station. Pleasant ambience and friendly helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

The Hotel Restaurant did not have good variety of food, particularly for those who are vegetarian, and people in the restaurant only French, NO ENGLISH including menu... very difficult

The room was very clean and comfortable, centrally located and very convenient for short stay

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

Arrived for breakfast at 7.45am and the cupboard was bare, staff ignored our helpless look for food. Room was old, tired and ugly, check in was slow , corridors leading to the room had laundry and rubbish dumped across the paths giving a bad welcome. Over priced for the quality.

Nothing, not the worst hotel i've stayed in but getting close. Nothing stands out as good or likeable. The Brasserie next door was excellent.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

• Superior Double or Twin Room

AC in the room was making some (low) noises in the middle of the night. Nothing that woke my wife, only a (very) light sleeper like me.

Very large family room. Windows do not overview the trainstation, so it was much quieter than a previous room that oversaw the trainstation.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

The proximity with the street / train station. It wont bother everyone, but you can hear the noise of buses and some trains pass by. You could also hear some water running from pipes from the upper rooms. I'd recommend staying on a higher floor (I stayed on the 2nd floor)

Location is excellent and staff is friendly.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Staff besides reception always seemed thrown off by barely French speaking staff ... slow and small elevator.

We arrived way before check in time on a Sunday after flying internationally. Jetlagged as we were, the staff was accomodating as can be and got our family room ready within 90 minutes or so. close to main train and bus station.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

We booked a room with half-board from 30 Dec - 01 Jan. But they didn`t serve dinner because the restaurant was closed. In such a case, they should/could have informed us in advance. We were very much dissappointed because half-board was the reason why we chose this hotel. They charge 10EUR for public parking which actually cost 7.33EUR/day.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

The breakfast was a bit too expensive at €12 for what you get.

I've stayed in this hotel many times over the years and it has certainly benefited from a recent refurbishment. The room was very big, clean and comfortable. The attached brassiere has also been extensively refurbished and is now a much more pleasant place to eat and drink. Just across the road from the railway station so is very easy to reach.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

We had booked 2 double rooms but were given a double and a twin. The double were given a room that had not been cleaned, just left from the people before and the twin they tied the legs of the bed together. Not a good start. The car parking space that we booked was no longer available. We were given a different room. The radiator didn't work. Breakfast, the sausages in the hot food tray were ice cold from the fridge. not sure they should be warmed in a heated tray. (possible health risk) The hot drink machine was out of order all weekend and had staff trying to make it work for 3 days. Corridors were filled with dirty washing, dinner trays, black sacks of rubbish and dirty cleaning cloths, vacuum cleaners and leads just left. Our room and the corridors smelt of cigarette smoke or what ever they were cooking in the kitchen possibly from the air vents. Didn't get asked how our stay was I wonder why?

Bus service from the station was excellent.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

charlene from reception is da bomb request for BF was ok at 5h40 because i had to work very early, what a great service form the nightstaf to do this and with a smile

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

No tea/coffee making facilities in bedrooms. Bar closes at 12 midnight and no residents bar for drinks after 12.

Fantastic family room was very spacious. Bar area was modern and service was good. Dining room was well presented with good choice of breakfast items to choose from.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

The first night we were given a room that was unclean,very small and basic.this wasn't the room that we booked and payed for.after speaking to the staff we were put into a new room

The staff were very friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Understandably the local environment is going through a period of renewal. Once the new building are complete this will be right in the heart of Liege.

Staff really helpful. Restaurant in Hotel excellent. Very clean. A stones throw from the amazing architecture of Liège-Guillemins railway station

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Bedroom needs a bit of a makeover. No comfortable chair. Soap dispenser in bathroom empty (though one in shower was ok).

Great location. Nice staff. Nice bar.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Some of the denizens of the neighbourhood were undesirable ... drunks and beggars ploughed the street outside. This needs addressing by the city of Liège.

An excellent location (across the road from the fantastic Santiago Calatrava Liège-Guillemins station. Friendly, helpful staff. And an excellent restaurant.