Reviews of Azalia Hotel Balneo & SPA 4 stars

St. St. Constantin & Helena Resort, 9006 St. St. Constantine and Helena, Bulgaria

4.3

comfortable, on the beach

We ate dinner at the hotel (mistake!) and my chicken meat was smelly, odd looking, kind of rotten. We told the waiter, but they took no measure, to our knowledge. Our advice: avoid eating lunch or dinner in the hotel if out of season!

the confort, the spa and interior swimmimg pool, being right on the beach

There are things to be improved
    • Deluxe Double Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

At arrival the receptionist asked me to pay in advance for the stay. I think it's not only me who detests this policy of some hotels, but I decided to comply and paid by credit card. Since the reservation was made by Booking.com, I knew the price in Euro or RON (Romanian Lei), but the amount paid was in BGN (Bulgarian Leva). When I checked the account statement, I noticed that I was overcharged by almost 35%. I verbally notified the receptionist and I showed him the reservation email (thank you, Booking.com!), but he said he can do nothing and I need to talk to a manager... next day. The next day the problem was almost solved: the manager - a very nice young lady, speaking a far better English than the receptionist - apologized for the inconvenient, offering to reimburse us the difference in cash, but only in BGN. We agreed on that. I was accommodated into a room with a beautiful seaview at the level 2, near the restaurant. Unless you are a big fan of live music, sung until late night (or early morning) by some artist with a bunch of drunken people as backing vocalists, do NOT ever accept a room on that floor in the left wing (the one of the restaurant). Speaking of restaurant... well, the breakfast itself (included in the price of the room) was ok. However, we had some unpleasant experiences: I picked a coffee cup with coffee marks on its bottom from the stack of clean cups... three days in a row. My wife told me she also grabbed a greasy plate from the stack of (supposedly) clean plates. It seems they have some problems with the dishwashers or the staff.

As I promised in the review I made two years ago, I came back again. Last time I had a pleasant experience, related to staying at the seashore in winter season. The position of the hotel, right on the beach, and its indoor amenities - pool, spa, gym, etc. - make Azalia one of the right choices to make. This time I found the hotel pretty much as I knew it, however some things has changed... and not into better ones.

Lovely Spa experience

Small things that were lacking for a four star property. One had to pay for slippers, we were asked to pay for the room in advance and the room had no toiletries. Also, the food availability at breakfast on our first day was EXTREMELY limited. They did not even have yogurt. I asked but I was just told that there isn't any. The coffee was very bad and you had to go to the bar and pay if you wanted a proper version. They also switch off the sauna during the day, I assume to save money regardless of the fact that the place was full. Some people also took their children in the pool with nappies. The guard did not say anything despite the fact that the sign said that it was forbidden.

We had dinner at the hotel and the food was reasonably good although some dishes did not come as specified in the menu - i.e mushrooms instead of carrots, cinnamon and honey instead of wine sauce. Service was good and the value for money was reasonable. The location is great as it is quiet and right on the beach. The Spa therapists are SUPERB.

Breathless sea view from top floors rooms

Minus: - you must pay for the Wi-Fi in the room, the access is free only in the common areas - the hotel services are only in two variants: all inclusive or only breakfast, you can't choose half board, still the access in the restaurant is allowed and you can pay a la cart the meal you want

Plus: - excellent location, on the beach - quality sand, very clean area around the hotel, outdoor pools and aqua park probably in the summer are the main attractions - perfect architecture, the hotel is built with reception access from the street on the 4th floor, several access ways on the beach, from restaurant, from the lobby, from the main street and from the indoor pool - top floor rooms with a breathless sea view - all rooms have balcony - spacious indoor pool with thermal water worth the staying - very good restaurant, very good food (we had only breakfast), various menu, international dishes, tasty, very clean area, very polite staff in the restaurant - large, generous restaurant terrace, great view - Wi-Fi signal very good - fitness area, pool table, tennis table

The wifi paid could be with more speed - in the best chance...
    • Standard Double Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The wifi paid could be with more speed - in the best chance was 3,4 mbs , and with mobile data with cell phone you can obtain 20 :) . Also I dont understand - I booked double room for 2 adults and a child , but at the reception I understand that was for a single use ¡¡¡¡ How come ?? Non sense at all to put this kind of room for single use ...The clients are not lawyers , they shouldnt read all the ¨small letters¨. Just put normal offers so they can easly can be booked. I had to pay extra 37 lv for my friend , but then again for the same price I could find a better hotel days ago in the center of Varna.

Good site for short night before a flight.
    • Deluxe Double Room

The room was very very hot and even with the window open it wouldn't cool down. The facility was also clise to a very busy road with road noise when the window was open.

Good place for the price.

Don't do it. Go farther down the coast to Sol Nessebar.

No AC in spite of 80 degree weather. Who wants to sweat while sleeping in her room at a resort?? The food was awful. The all-inclusive drinks are just terrible, and we couldn't even pay for better stuff. They simply did not have anything but crap, overly sweetened liquor. No ice at the pool bar, and the soda came out of the machine hot. So we had to walk all the way back upstairs to the lobby bar to get anything remotely cool to drink. They advertise parking on-site, but there were only a few spaces along the street, and the receptionist had no idea where else we could park. All in all, I would not stay here again if I was paid to. I would not normally complain about these things if it were a hotel, but I expect a lot more from a "resort."

The hotel is very close to the beach and has an amazing view.

Overall, the hotel rooms required some renovation, at least, change maytrasses

Access to the beach

Dirty worn out matrasses in the rooms caused me very bad rashes and distress. Giving a credit, staff attempted to solve the problem; hovewer, with little success. Overal, the hotel is way overpriced considering quality

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

NEVER EVER AGAIN TRY OTHER HOTEL

No Parking NO COFEE NO INTERNET ,you must pay ... but no have . I have not hair but me room full with long blond and black hair SO NEVER EVER AGAIN

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Some basic
    • Deluxe Double Room

No toileteries in the room, no sleepers and paying wifi...

The view and the spa facilities. The treatments are really great, very good value for money.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

location, tranquility, position

if the position of the hotel and peace (during season) everything was pleasant, regarding some aspects I can confirm the following; clean rooms is very morning (around 8:00 am). We had the misfortune we can not wake up at that time (I was on vacation ...) so two days we have not cleaned up the room, we were not changed towels, etc ... although I asked the woman service to return in 10-15 minutes. Another unpleasant aspect was that at the time of reaching our hotel the few conferences (in the end I came to regret the departure of the conference) so the restaurant was split into two, and we travelers being forced to get out and to enter only through a part of the restaurant. Chapter food (here I regretted the departure of the conference ...) the first two days food was good, fresh and ok. After delegations have gone to the end of our stay in the same hotel we had arranged food in another form (I refer to food remained from previous days). Basically I have not had anything to eat, and because the food was old husband and my child had problems with the stomach, the thing I had known in reception. As a conclusion I do not think we will return anytime soon in this hotel.Unfortunately only now I realize that I could put photos of those listed above ... even my husband suggested I take photos of restaurant dishes (their state). In the future I will do that too

location, tranquility, position

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

Not all inclusive

You had to pay for the drinks at the hotel's bar, including coffee, so the "all inclusive" label is a lie. No cocktails or drinks were included. The gym was a joke, you had to pay for the internet which couldn't be used. No signal whatsoever unless you were on the balcony. The food was funky, to say the least.

Very tidy hotel, very close to the beach, confy rooms with great view.

Incredible hotel for relaxation!

Internet expensive ( about 3 euro for a day) and sucks

Very good hotel with great SPA not far from Varna.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

The hotel is very close to the beach.

The food and drinks quality can be improved

The hotel is very close to the beach. Nice view to the sea

Excellent, very clean hotel

No hotel parking. Only one free electricity socket.

Location on the beach. Very clean, the cleaning staff is to be congratulated. Good food.

Hotel was good but some off the staff was very rude which I did complain to the manager about
    • Standard Double Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Staff very rude

Location was fab ,very clean

Very good hotel, on the beach.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Very good hotel, on the beach. Sunny in the morning.

Very enjoyable.
    • Deluxe Double Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Finding a parking space is sometimes a problem.

Excellent location on the sea shore, good facilities and responsive staff.

Extremely noisy during the night.

Extremely noisy during the night. could not sleep from fishing boats in front of the hotel.

Perfect place for relax !

Everything is very nice !

A very nice vacantion.

All.

Good location and good Staff

Air Conditioning

Location , Staff

Lovely location could do with a facelift to improve it

Food was cold and it felt like you were having the same thing everyday

That it was on the beach

See you next year, again

Location, food, all friendly staff, from the cleaner to the waiter. I think we got the best room at the hotel.

Never come-back

Good

Poor

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

No internet in rooms

No internet in rooms

• Reviewed: 9 May 2016

Nice view of the sea.

No free wifi. Juices were not natural. No coffee (what was proposed was tasteless gargling-water).Only 15 parking spaces for guests.

Nice view of the sea. Breakfast (except coffee!) was quite good.

• Reviewed: 3 March 2016

Nice view of the sea

The rooms stank of smoke. All the furniture was old. Rooms and SPA facilities were is poor condition. The rooms need to be updated

Nice view of the sea

• Reviewed: 4 December 2015

Have stayed here many times over the last 9 years.

Parking is not easy at busy times.

Have stayed here many times over the last 9 years.Have always rated it highly.There have been many changes in decor which improve the hotel further.Staff very kind and helpful.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2015

Poor wifi. Cleaning could be improved especially in the pool area. The 2 extra hours for check-out promised by Booking.com for genius customers does not apply

• Reviewed: 22 August 2015

My family loves Azalia.

The Internet wasn't good. We need a good WIFI in order to keep up with our correspondence and friends.

My family loves Azalia. We come back every summer.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2015

Good view from the balconies, good location directly on the...

The air conditioning in the rooms did not work. No AC in the corridors, lobby or restaurant. It felt like we were in a giant hot greenhouse. Food was of low quality, as were all other elements of the gloriously advertised "Ultra All Inclusive" deal. The restaurant of this hotel is inadequately sized, incapable of accommodating more than a third of the hotel's guests at a time, which resulted in an overcrowded and stressful atmosphere. The advertised free parking lot consists of 20 parking spots next to the hotel, which were occupied permanently. I was forced to pay extra for a parking spot 3 km away from the hotel, to which they take you by an old golf cart. However, if you come back after 21.00 there is noone to pick u up and you have to walk all the way to the hotel. Azalia is the first supposedly 4-star hotel, which charged me for WiFi as slow as the dial-up connections from the 90's. The staff was not service-minded at all. They gave us no information about the services we had payed for. The majority of the guests were noisy Romanian and Russian families who got up as early as 06.00 to reserve most deck chairs on the beach just by covering them with their beach towels. If you arrive at 9.00 you would wander desperately amongst a multitude of empty, but "occupied" chairs and consider yourself lucky if you get a spot.

Good view from the balconies, good location directly on the shore. Ok level of cleanliness in the rooms. The only acceptable food item offered as a part of the "Ultra All Inclusive" deal were the pancakes at breakfast, cooked on the spot, if you are patient enough to queue for them together with a hoard of hungry kids and mothers in the suffocating heat of an overcrowded restaurant with no AC.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2015

The rooms are with very nice design, clean, beachfront...

Awful, cheap, badly presented food. Some dishes were "recycled" from lunch to dinner. Lack of variety, almost no vegetables or salads. The lowest quality sweets that I have seen anywhere. Breakfast was probably the worst - in a country that is proud with its yoghurt and cheese, the limited choice of cheese consisted of only processed cheeses! In a nut shell, the food selection, preparation and presentation was in my opinion shameful and showed no respect for the guests.

The rooms are with very nice design, clean, beachfront property. As a whole the facilities are well kept and comfortable. Nice indoor swimming pool, the only option for swimming, since the sea is dirty and the outdoor pools full of rowdy children. The reception staff is polite and he valets were smiling and polite, but the staff at the restaurant area was not very friendly.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2015

The hotel has amazing location - right on the very beach,...

I have been many times to this hotel, but this time I was very disappointed with the food. We arrived on Wednesday and the hotel was not yet full (not high season) and the food they served for lunch and dinner was old. What was served one day was reheated and altered a little and served again the next day. Only when the hotel became full on Saturday, they brought out a bigger variety of food and some fresh food.

The hotel has amazing location - right on the very beach, which is one of its greatest assets. The rooms were clean; there is nice view from the rooms; big outdoor swimming pool; plenty of space on the beach; the personnel is kind and welcoming.

• Reviewed: 5 April 2015

Friendly service lady in breakfast room

Builders drilling above room every morning. Air con not working. Bad breakfast. No free wifi. Bar not open. Gym limited. Pay for steam room.

Friendly service lady in breakfast room

• Reviewed: 5 March 2015

Location, Location, Location.

Poor bathroom design. Whenever one decides to take a shower the whole bathroom is flooded.If they simply extend the curtain in the shower cabin the problem will be solved.

Location, Location, Location. You wake up and the first thing you hear is the sound of the sea.

• Reviewed: 4 March 2015

Location and seaview

Cockroach in the bathroom! Small, uncomfortable rooms and bathroom. Insufficient parking space for the size of the hotel. The cleaning personnel started knocking on our door and disturbing us asking if we want cleaning of the room. We asked them to come back half an hour later. Then the cleaner had only put a new roll of tilet paper and simply made the bed. The killed cockroach was still in the bathroom and the used glasses were not washed. The towels were not changed, she had thrown away stuff that shouldn't be thrown and stolen a bottle of mineral water from the mini bar. At checkup they tried to charge us extra for that water and we hadn't even noticed that it was missing. The Breakfast was poor, nothing was edible, prepared with the cheapest products. The dust in the restaurant was not cleaned for ages! When checking in, the receptionist made us wait until he understands what basis of meals we had booked (breakfast only!) though it was initially communicated to the hotel. Extra charge for Wi-Fi in the rooms, unacceptable! And the fee per day is equal to some monthly packages! No room service! No safe deposit box in the room. I would give this hotel no more than 3 stars!

Location and seaview

• Reviewed: 20 May 2016

Everything.

The indoor pool temperature is too cold.

Everything.

• Reviewed: 18 February 2016

Very good location and swimming pool.

Very good location and swimming pool. Amazing view to the sea. The food from restorant are fantastic... Very big wine selection.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2016

Personal in restorane

Can't use credit card, no available mobile terminal in hotel.

Personal in restorane

• Reviewed: 11 January 2016

Friendly staff

The hotel must do something for improvement of the Internet in the hotel

Friendly staff Clean Good kitchen Good location

• Reviewed: 30 October 2015

One of the best hotels on the Black sea North coast.

One of the best hotels on the Black sea North coast. Perfect sea view from the rooms

• Reviewed: 20 October 2015

A fair price for what the hotel offer

Ihad not something to complain

A fair price for what the hotel offer

• Reviewed: 1 September 2015

Everything was very good!

No one big bed

Everything was very good! Hotel on the beach it's very nice! Food was ok, not so bad like we afraid.

• Reviewed: 20 June 2015

Only beach

Only beach

• Reviewed: 28 May 2015

and more -recommended food ,swimming pools,all inclusive

paying for internet in the room

and more -recommended food ,swimming pools,all inclusive

• Reviewed: 3 April 2015

We liked the location

We liked the location

• Reviewed: 12 March 2015

Don't have free WiFi.

Don't have free WiFi.......... Very bad connection. For hotel 4 stars this is unacceptable.

There are also 24 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.