Reviews of Boliari Hotel 3 stars

2 Ivanka Boteva str., 5000 Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria

#37 of 42 hotels in Veliko Tarnovo

The view and location were excellent.

No bar, no breakfasts, we were told it was available but on the morning she said she had no food! The drains absolutely stunk in the ensuite bathroom. No door on shower. Parking is not reserved parking, it is just pot luck on the street outside. Fortunately we managed to squeeze in but the guest arriving after us didn’t.

The view and location were excellent. Lovely balcony over looking some of the old town and hills.

Wonderful staff and very quiet and comfortable hotel in the heart of Veliko Turnovo at Boliari

Difficulties finding a parking space on the first day, however this was due to the fact we visited on a public holiday and there were many local people also visiting the city despite this we still found a space nearby for free so there was not a problem and our hostess helped us out to guide us to find the closest place possible to park, she was really welcoming and advised us on where to park, and the next day we moved the car right infront of the hotel.

The staff were extremely friendly had a really nice chat with our hostess and she guided us towards the activities in Veliko Turnovo happening on the dates we visited. The hotel is very relaxing, quiet and the bed was very comfortable so you can get a good night's sleep. The hotel is also in an extremely central location right next to Tsarevets fortress and 5 minutes from the city centre as well as beautiful terrace views.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

The road to the hotel was under repair and digging along the...

The road to the hotel was under repair and digging along the street, it was impossible for the car to reach the hotel so we had to pull our bags on the ground for about 300 meters in the rubble and dirt! We were very tired and there was damage to the bags . The hotel did not tell us in advance abut this issue.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Give this hotel a miss.

Well where do I start, none of the things that were on my Booking.com confirmation where there, no extra large bed as we had chosen, no tea and coffee making facilities in the room, no slippers or robes, very dated, right at the bottom of town, and when I asked the owner about these things when I first arrived, her attitude was absolutely awful, she answered don’t like it check out and I’ll keep your money. It says on the advertising that they do airport transfer but they don’t, and it cost us 175 euros from Varna. How they got a rating of 8 on Booking.com I don’t know I wouldn’t even give it a 1. Very very disappointed.

The staff was great.

The fact that the Junior Suite room's description stated that the third person must be a child under 1 year old.We were 5 persons, and we book two double rooms and one single room. But in fact there was a big bed in the room which said that there fits only one child and we had to book a room for one person for nothing, because the third person slept in the room with 3 beds. -bad wifi, little parking space

The staff was great.

Great accommodation for sightseers
    • Budget Double or Twin Room

If you travel with car, better search on. Since the hotel is located in the old town, it means narrow steep streets, and the parking spots are directly on the street. It was difficult to position our large car, and there was always the risk, someone would drive too close and scratch it or someone will break into it. I personally didn't feel safe.

If you come with the public transport, it's great. It's in the very heart of the old town, very conveniently located for sightseeing and dining. The room and bathroom were nice and clean. The view was also good.

Comfy bed, nice location

No parking space. We literally had to park on the street in front of the hotel. Also we had our car blocked by other guests even though we had informed reception staff that we will be leaving early the next day. After we saw our car is blocked, we went to speak to the staff and ask them to ask the guest to move their car. They not only did nothing, but completely ignored the urgency of us having to leave early. At the end I ended up finding and talking to this guest myself, asking them to switch places of our cars. True the place is cheap, but I expected better customer service and better facilities for a 3star hotel.

Comfy bed, nice location

The position, the two ladies on the staff I met always...

There is nothing I did not like. Everything ok. Good value over money.

The position, the two ladies on the staff I met always smiling, there is a small shop nearby, the quiet during the night.

Unfortunately, all the good things are eclipsed by the...

There was a strange and unpleasant smell in the room that lasted all night long; Breakfast is a only a pie - definitely not worth the money;

Unfortunately, all the good things are eclipsed by the negative ones

Could have been ok

They asked to keep my ID as a guarantee. It was very recless of me to agree with such a procedure. I offered the possibility to pay at checkin but the receptionist said that I could pay any time. When the checkin was done, she asked for my ID, telling me that I will have it when we checkout - I agreed - I do not know what I was thinking. When we left, my wife went to pay for the room, but the receptionist forgot to give her my ID. My last travel day was ruined because I had to drive back to the hotel to get my ID back. I lost two hours of an otherwise perfectly planned day, and everything got messed up. Breakfast: I think a person could live better on an empty stomach than eating a few slices of bread&butter&salami. That was their included "breakfast". The bathroom could use some modern finishes - gives you the impression of old and rusty. Very big problem with the parking, but seems that this is something that is compensated by the very good location. Most of the hotels around have the same problem.

Very good location, 5 minutes walk to Tserevets fortress, a dream place, specially at night. Nice commun balcony/terrace - a good relaxing place at the end of the day. Very friendly staff.

Nice and good for a last minute reservation.

The lady receptionist (which I believe it was actually the owner) was very helpful. She tried to find us a restaurant for the New Year's Eve Party, as, we didn't book anything. The hotel is clean and tidy and silent. Even the spaces are not very large, the rooms are confy and intimate. There is no elevator (it is an old but renovated building), but I believe is recommended for the modern man to take the stairs once in a while. The breakfast is ok for a normal person, the coffee is great and the view from the rooms on the street side as well. The room was heated by the a/c as everybody wants. Perhaps the a/c noise might disturb somebody, but for us it was no problem.

Close to Tsarevets.
    • Budget Double or Twin Room

No wifi in the room. No heating system except the AC. The bathroom was very damp, and there was water on the floor at all times. Noisy, due to the very thin walls. Quite uncomfortable bed. The TV didn't have any remote control.

Close to Tsarevets.

Not good value for money
    • Budget Double or Twin Room

Old facilities, the place needs renovating and a proper cleaning. The ventilation system in the neighbors’ bathroom was too loud and noisy - could easily keep you up at night. The bath tub was dirty on the corners, towels were over-used and had red/brown spots (rust?). The bed sheets and one of the pillow case were also old and with spots. The air conditioning in the room broke, so we received a heater to keep it warm. Very difficult to park nearby (narrow street).

The receptionist was welcoming and willing to help.

Had a lovely time and there is a Bar Restaurant just opposite which served reasonable food

The breakfast, not given any choice just served up omelette and only one small cup of coffee. We asked her if she could do something different and was given a choice of ham & eggs which we had the next day but the fried eggs were stone cold.

Not far from restaurants and nice cobbled side streets, very lovely view from hotel. Taxi's are very cheap so no problem worrying about being overcharged, always asked the price before getting in. Only 5 leva from Boliari to coach station.

Great place for a weekend stay in the city.
    • Budget Double or Twin Room

Parking is a bit of a hassle and the rooms could use a bit of a refresh.

Great spot in Veliko Turnovo, really close to all interesting spots in the city. The rooms are well furnished and functional. The view from our room was awesome and the balcony was huge.

The location and area is perfect.

Most of the staff speak little if any English which made it difficult to communicate sometimes,but everyone was very friendly and helpful.

The location and area is perfect.

The location is within walking distance from Tsarevets,...

The breakfast was poor, not to say more. I didn't understand how can two adult persons have for breakfast only 3 bread slices, 2 boiled eggs, 5 cm of cucumber and a tomato with feta cheese. And coffee. Small room, old furniture, damaged wallpaper, etc, really needs a renovation!!!

The location is within walking distance from Tsarevets, restaurants and the heart of the city, the stuff is nice and helpful.

The hotel turned out to be at a noisy place. You could hear the traffic all night. This is a fact that cannot be changed. However, there are some things which Must be changed. We had noisy neighbours playing cards with friends of theirs on their balcony next to ours. I asked them politely to stop talking and distrurbing us. In addition, I complained to the receptionist. Obviously, our neighbours did not pay much attention to anybody. At 1 am I and my husband got up and made a riot about the situation as I would not have tolerated such a thing any more. I could just have left the hotel. After all, I should I need a hotel if I cannot sleep? I could have called the police. I think the fair thing is for the receptionist either make htem quiet or make a refund to the other guests and apologise. It is not my problem to make the guests of a hotel keep silence at night.

The hotel is conveniently situated for sightseeing. The staff tried to be polite. However, they did not do their best.

Location, staff, parking.

Look at the pictures with the electrical socket. They are a real DANGER! The bathroom is a shame! Old furniture. The curtains should have been changed 10 years ago. The staff doesn't speak English very well.

Location, staff, parking.

Location is good, room was clean & comfortable.

Claims English speaking but only Bulgarian when we stayed there. No breakfast despite voucher saying breakfast included, web page saying breakfast in room, no reduction for absence of breakfast. Public parking without reservation actually means on-street parking if there is space in a narrow road so not desirable. A bit difficult to find, the sign pointing to the entrance is small and points down a side street cutting sharply back in the opposite direction. The entrance is not in the one way street it uses as its address but on the side street so our satnav did not help. But, the sign is behind you and facing the same way as you as you exit the one-way street so easily missed.

Location is good, room was clean & comfortable.

Annoying personal
    • Budget Double or Twin Room

When trying to find the hotel the GPS coordinates on this website send us to a dead end street. It was very hard to find the hotel. We left out car and walked in order to find it. When we arrived I asked how I can move my car in front of the hotel, because I mainly booked it because it has parking. Once I ask the lady at the reception said the hotel was full so better not to move because there is no space plus my car in her words was only 5 minutes away. The truth is that we had to carry out luggage over steep stairs and also I was with my mum who is older now and can't walk long especially through stairs. So I was very annoyed by that. Also I asked for a room with two beds but got a room with a double bed.

The hotel is clean and it is located very near some historical sites, good restaurants and more.

Bolyarski experience of the Old Capital
    • Budget Double or Twin Room

Hard to say I didn't like something.

The staff is very friendly and courteous. It's been a great pleasure to stay at the hotel and felt just like I was home with relatives. Also, they gave us a lot of pieces of advice about what to do in the city. Only drawback is that it does not seem that most people there speak English. So for a foreigner it might be a challenge to communicate what they want with the staff. Nonetheless, it was full of foreigners (Romanians and Greeks) and they seemed to have no difficulty in getting their way around.

I enjoyed it very much!

The A/C system was noisy during the night

I like very much the location of the hotel (5 mins walking distance from Tsarevets and the old street of Veliko Turnovo), the nice balcony and view. The room was clean and cozy. The staff was very kind.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Nice
    • Budget Double or Twin Room

-no flat screen TV ( remove it from the facilities if you don't provide it) - only cash payment accepted

The location of the hotel, near the city center and near the Tsarevets Fortress. The room looks nice, is clean, has a big balcony (room 42). The view is also nice.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

Friendly staff attitude throughout the stay.

Parking is a challenge - there is little room on a narrow street in front of the hotel, however this is no exception for the whole town, where it is very difficult to park. Payment is only in cash and one gets a receipt only on second request.

Friendly staff attitude throughout the stay. Excellent location, close to both the Tsaretvets (old medieval city) and the Samovodska charshia (traditional commercial street). Old but nicely maintained and furnished quiet building. Breakfast is OK, little variation.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

The most unpleasant, unsatisfying experience I have ever had.

I have never encounter a more unprofessional personnel. The receptionist (if that horrible woman that "welcomed" us was a receptionist) practically yelled at me because I mentioned that the bed was not a matrimonial bed as it was mentioned in the description of the room, but two normal beds located side-by-side. She suggested to pay for the room upfront, making tendentious, prejudicial comments about my nationality (I am Romanian). The only reason I stayed the night was that my 3 years old could not handle the fuss implied by the search of another hotel or the way back home, which I seriously considered at the time. It was mentioned that the breakfast was included. It was constituted from 3 boiled eggs, something that seemed to be slices of ordinary salami and some butter and jam. These were served on a table near the entry of the hotel and no conditions of hygiene were respected. The hotel is placed near a railway station. It is impossible to have a good night sleep with all the trains going by. For some mysterious reasons I could not use my credit card there, I did not receive a receipt for the things I bought from the mini bar in the room. When I asked for the receipt, I was told that the "terminal" was not working. I checked out in the morning as soon as my son was able to cope with me finding another hotel. I do NOT recommend this hotel.

Hotel in a great location.
    • Double Room (1 Adult)

One light in bed room was not working.

Hotel in a great location. Away from traffic . Good view. Even had a bar fridge.

Location, view

Stairs

Location, view

Veliko Turnovo guest

Staff was rude Breakfast start EXACTLY at 9.00 morning not before

- the balcony where the view was wonderful

- no shower cubicle

- the balcony where the view was wonderful - typical and very calm street

The breakfast was a joke.

quiet area

cleanliness and breakfast remembered me the communist times

quiet area

I like the location and the view from the room.
    • Budget Double or Twin Room

I like the location and the view from the room.

Cozy place

Cute place

i love it

nope

all,best position, nice staff, clean and tidy room,and big window with good view

Near city center

Near city center

Good hotel

Very good and clean hotel

Good relation price service

In one of the rooms stinks a little bit. However they change us the room for a bigger one... Nothing to complain

Yes nothing wrong to say

Location in the historic quarter
    • Budget Double or Twin Room

The shower was broken and barely usable

Location in the historic quarter Staff was very friendly and accommodating Great view 24hr reception

A place I would return to

The vie from The upper floor

The view

I booked and payed a room whit breakfast included...and BAD surprise...No breakfast . Very Poor wifi in the room

The view

i couldn't pay with the credit card and i didn't...
    • Double Room (1 Adult)

i couldn't pay with the credit card and i didn't received an invoice (although i asked for it)

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

nice

no elivator

excelent view

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

The panoramic view is nice.

We don't like the dirty carpet, bathroom, the dust on furniture and curtains, the lack of hygiene.

The panoramic view is nice.

The hotel is close to everything while being on the silent...
    • Budget Double or Twin Room

The hotel is close to everything while being on the silent part of the city.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

Convenient location, near restaurants.
    • Budget Double or Twin Room

No parking on the street

Convenient location, near restaurants.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

good location near the castle
    • Budget Double or Twin Room

inpolite reception crew, there was no parking at all, bad Wi-Fi connection

good location near the castle

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Worth it!

Smelly room

Great location, good value for money

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

It was very close to the old town.
    • Budget Double or Twin Room

It was very close to the old town.

• Reviewed: 3 May 2016

We had a wonderful stay.

We had a wonderful stay. The location is fabulous and you are close to everything that is a "must see" in the area (just 5 minutes away from the fortress, 5 minutes away from the souvenirs street, etc.). The view from our room was also amazing. The furniture in the room was not too modern indeed, but it was very clean. Our room was cleaned every day after we left to see the sights and towels were changed. Some people on Booking have complained about the breakfast not being buffet. If you actually look at the price you pay for the breakfast, it's 5 euros per day, for 2 people. This hotel does not have a kitchen, they don't serve lunch and dinner, so they can only serve a limited amount of foods for breakfast. Basically, for 2.5 Euros/person you get a coffee, some bacon, bread, 1 egg, slices of cucumber, cheese, butter and gem (that is what we got, plus traditional cake as it was Easter). So I believe this is more than acceptable, considering you might pay more for one coffee at a restaurant. I do recommend this hotel for your stay.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2016

The room was pretty clean and big, same for the bathroom.

The employees were really rude, we asked for a few napkins and they told us that we could find them in the nearest store.. they weren't flexible with the breakfast serving hours considering that after new year's eve nobody could wake up at 8.. the heating was only assured by air conditioners and they couldn't warm the place enough.. My TV didn't work, the fridge didn't work.

The room was pretty clean and big, same for the bathroom.

• Reviewed: 3 December 2015

Friendly staff, polite, very willing to help.

Breakfast was not ok - absolutely the same for 3 days, not buffet. The meat not so nice, once the milk was sour. However, the coffee was quite ok.

Friendly staff, polite, very willing to help. Very nice view. Very close to the fortress and city center. Even though the warming procedure is with electric radiator and AC, it was very ok and very warm in the room.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2015

I couldn't be happier with my choice !

I couldn't be happier with my choice ! Being a well-travelled person I have very high expectations and this hotel certainly managed to serve all of my needs !

• Reviewed: 24 September 2015

The location is perfect in the near center right next to the...

The room is tight and it was really hot like sauna. The spa & pool were not working.

The location is perfect in the near center right next to the Tzarevets fortress.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2015

The view

Well... let's see: the fridge & air conditioner - not working, the door to the balcony semi-broken, no one cleaned the room during our stay (not even picking up the garbage), the staff speaks poor or no english at all, you can't pay by card

• Reviewed: 3 September 2015

There was a veranda with a decent view - although there was...

The curtain rod kept coming off!

There was a veranda with a decent view - although there was no furniture here. Minibar fridge to keep water etc cool. Off busy main road - so quiet enough. Small minimarket close by - with coffee machine outside.

• Reviewed: 24 April 2015

Location and balcony view.

Nobody to greet us in the lobby for 5-7 minutes when we arrived, worst breakfast and coffee i ve ever had in bulgaria. When entering the next day reception receptionist started to agitate that we were going upstairs 4 persons in a double room. But we were 4 in 2 double rooms, and even if we were she could have been more professional about this. Not one mention about spa or any advice for tourists.

Location and balcony view. Nice room, hot water

• Reviewed: 25 February 2016

there was no bath tub as promised on the website.

there was no bath tub as promised on the website.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2015

Good location, comfortable room.

Good location, comfortable room. The staff was very supportive.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2015

Good location and cozy room

Room's thrash can hadn't been cleaned. Couldn't pay with card.

Good location and cozy room

• Reviewed: 31 October 2015

Everything.

Everything. Room layout and staff.The view is very good.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2015

Everything but the cleanliness.

The sheets and the towels were old and with dirty dots.

Everything but the cleanliness.

• Reviewed: 5 August 2015

Cozy and very clean hotel with beautiful interior design.

Cozy and very clean hotel with beautiful interior design.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2015

Breakfast was very poor

Breakfast was very poor

There are also 26 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.